New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: [MLP] Roleplaying is Magic IC: The Broken Road.

As if summoned by their thoughts, an orange earth pony colt entered through the forward doorway, pushing a cart laden with food in front of him.

"G'evening, ah - Fillies an' Gentlecolts" said the newcomer, in a rather thick Trottingham accent. "Oim Sidways Shunt, and oil be yer maytre-dee this evenin' ... apologies for me, less formal apperance, but with so few of ye on this 'ere train, the comp'ny didn' put on the formal waitstaff."

Chivvying the trolly closer, the others could see it was laden with an assortment of different foods, ranging from the sweet to the savory, healthy sandwiches, salads and flowers, as well as a small, steaming bowl of freshly made hay fries.

"If ye want anythin more 'earty than this, I can also tell yew that the dining car is open for business. It 'as a roight real buffet goin there, if ye want to head on through to the next room."

2. - Top - End - #212
    Firbolg in the Playground

Now that's more like it! Dive Bomb trotted away from the window, saving himself from a stumble as the train hit a small bump in the tracks. Snagging a plate and balancing it on his wing, he quickly loaded up on sandwiches, salad and then paused. Protein... where are the... there! After scooping some honey barbecue beans onto his already-full plate, he headed back to his seat and nodded his head to the others before digging in.
    I run a Let's Play channel! Check it out!
    Currently, we're playing through New Vegas as Gabriel de la Cruz, merchant and mercenary extraordinaire!

3. - Top - End - #213
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Soot was equally excited at the prescence of the cart. She quickly loaded up on sandwiches of various kinds before she settled back into her seat. Discreetly she snuck most of them into her saddlebag. No sense in letting a cartful of food go to waste if there are some ponies that can benefit from it. She then settled into a dandelion on wheat.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate View Post
    Soot's next question interrupted his gossip, and his taking in of the beautiful vistas. "Well, I didn't see any reason to mention I was going. I hardly see what that had to do with your job." The colt deliberately scooted away; last time he'd answered unfavorably, he'd nearly gotten strangled for his troubles. "But to answer the question, I was busy preparing for a very important meeting tomorrow. I couldn't possibly have picked out a present and hoof-delivered it and still had time for my work."
    "Oooh secretive aren't we, well I guess not even true love can stand against the cut-throat politics of the Equestrian soda industry." she said in a mock dramatic tone "I'm kidding, I'm kidding. What'd you get her anyway? It was all wrapped up when I picked it up."
    Avatar based on artwork by Jabari Weathers

4. - Top - End - #214
    Ogre in the Playground

Grease looked at the cart, thinking. It was Hearth's Warming Day, and it would be good to get a dinner fitting as such. But on the other hoof, what one ate on Hearth's Warming wasn't as important as who you ate it with, and it seemed like the young ponies that she was spending the train ride with wanted to stay in the car. Besides, the contents of the cart looked satisfying enough.

Decided, Grease Spot pulled up a plate of salad with dried daisies, a sandwich, and a small helping of beans. She also retrieved her tofu dog from her saddlebags, and set in to eat.
    One Tin Pony avatar by Balmas

Current Projects: Dragon: the Inheritance

5. - Top - End - #215
    Titan in the Playground

Something that could overcome true love? Preposterous! "Hmmph. Hence why I took measures to ensure she'd get my package despite my schedule." He sighed wistfully, a sparkle lighting up his eyes. "No force on earth could hope to compare to our-ooh, are those hay fries fresh?"

Well, dinner could at least hope to overcome his bragging about their love. Couldn't give a filly a proper report on an empty stomach, now could he? Despite his sophisticated manners, he seemed to have an undiscerning palate. His plate grew loaded with hay fries, beans, sandwiches stacked with flowers and other condiments, all sorts of the traditional pony comfort foods. Crown Cork wasted no time in digging in, clearly enjoying every bite. "Ahh, that's better. As for the package, it's just a little number I commissioned from a jeweler friend I know. Something to help a little ruby in the rough see how much she truly shines." A titanic force of will kept him from simply swooning away in his seat. If it were possibly to tap conversation for sap, Crown Cork should've gone into the syrup business.
    Last edited by TheAmishPirate; 2012-10-17 at 04:12 PM.
    I'm developing a game. Let's see what happens! Complex.

6. - Top - End - #216

Given the pegasus' limited means, it had been a while since Dive Bomb had been given carte blanche with a tray of food; his naturally high metabolism approved of the change of circumstances. Looking up from a demolished plate of beans, Dive Bomb reached for a napkin to wipe away the straggling crumbs of a sandwich.

It would probably be impolite to have seconds before all have had their firsts, he reasoned. Mulling it over, he looked at the cart, and then longingly at the door to the next car over.
    Currently, we're playing through New Vegas as Gabriel de la Cruz, merchant and mercenary extraordinaire!

7. - Top - End - #217
    Ettin in the Playground

"Roight" said the trolleypony, once everyone had taken their bits of food. "If any o' yew need anythin else, oil be up front, 'appily workin' in that there kitche-nette"

Turning the cart around proved a minor challenge in the narrow cabin, but the cockney pony managed it and was soon able to leave the others to the privacy of their conversation.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Ogre in the Playground

Grease Spot slowly munched on her food, watching and listening to the others with amusement. I wonder if that colt ever says anything normally?

She swallowed a mouthful of food and spoke, trying to keep some conversation going. "You said that you're here in Canterlot on business. What exactly do you mean by that, if you don't mind me asking? And why are you rushing away on a train now?"

9. - Top - End - #219
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Soot looked around the room as she finished her sandwich, her eyes finally falling on the Pegasus who had bought her ticket for her and who she had pulled that ruse with. She suddenly realized that she didn't even know his name.

"Uh hey." she said to the pegasus. "Don't think I ever caught your name, or introduced myself, or really thanked you for buying my ticket, or apologized for snatching your money without asking, or... alot of things really."

She rubs her neck akwardly for a moment "Sorry I'm usually not this bad at stuff like this. The name's Soot by the way." she extends her hoof "So you don't have any excuse to call me 'kid' anymore got it?"

10. - Top - End - #220

Dive Bomb's saddlebags clipped shut before he gingerly extended his hoof. "Dive Bomb." Looking away, he said, "It's okay." There was a brief moment of silence before he continued, "Do you do that often? Run away with people's stuff?"

11. - Top - End - #221
    Titan in the Playground

"Not at all, not at all," Crown Cork brushed aside Grease Spot's worries like so many irritating cobwebs. "The business is hardly private, after all."

The colt's skinny barrel puffed out with pride. "As you may have guessed, I share my name with the Cork brand of bottled sodas, and let me tell you that is no coincidence. The head of my family, Pop Cork, is also the head of the company, and I am his right-hoof colt in the business. Together, we quench the thirst of Equestrians everywhere, not just for drink, but for a flavor experience like no other!" He thrust a hay fry to the sky, as if daring Celestia to strike him down should he exaggerate.

Thankfully, no lightning barbecued the business-pony, and the hay fry was summarily chomped. "Now, more to the point, my father's been causing quite the stir lately. Seems he has a mind to make a rather large announcement regarding the future of the Cork family business, in Canterlot, no less. He and I have been running ourselves simply ragged preparing for it. Press, venue, reception, we've had a hoof in it all. Why, were it not for our sodas and their bubbly energy, we likely would have both collapsed hours ago!" He gave an airy chuckle, but the lines around his eyes didn't lie. He'd hardly slept a wink this whole past week.

"Ah, yes, but it seems even that was not enough. In all the hustle, some documents were left back home in Manehatten. I'm simply running back to retrieve them, then popping back to Canterlot tomorrow for the press conference. Provided this train makes it to Manehatten on time..." He drummed his hooves on the windowsill anxiously, willing the engine on to greater speeds.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Balmas View Post
    Dive Bomb's saddlebags clipped shut before he gingerly extended his hoof. "Dive Bomb." Looking away, he said, "It's okay." There was a brief moment of silence before he continued, "Do you do that often? Run away with people's stuff?"
    Soot frowned at the question "Let's just say I'm a mare of many skills and leave it at that." she said with a hint of curtness in her voice. It was those questions that always bothered her, since they tended to end with guards or social workers. She quickly tried to change the topic "Moving on, where are you off to this fine holiday?"

13. - Top - End - #223
    Ogre in the Playground

[Ok, I'm gonna timeskip ahead to bedtime, unless anyone has objections.]

"Oh, I see," Grease said. "I know how you feel. Seems like no matter how much you prepare, something always slips through the cracks. Reminds me of one time..."

Grease Spot chatted with the three younger ponies while it grew dark outside, sharing small anecdotes and experiences, and listening to what they had to say in return.

Some time later, Grease yawned and looked at the clock hanging on the wall. "Well," she said, tying her saddlebags on loosely, "As much as I've enjoyed talking with you all, I think I'll head off to bed now. And though I'm sure you'll disagree, I think you could use some rest too." She stood up, stretching out her legs to get the blood flowing again, and looked around to see which way the sleeper car was.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Ettin in the Playground

With a bump, the train exited the final mountainside tunnel and emerged into the lowlands beneath Canterlot. The sun had set, and the stars were out. Directly ahead, the brilliant white orb of Luna's moon was cresting the Drakenridge Mountains.

The sleeping cars were towards the rear of the train and contained both individual cabins as well as the bunk cars usually reserved for families or groups of friends travelling together.

The individual cabins were all identically designed, a door that opened onto the access corridor along one side of the carriage, a small bed and sink with a cupboard for storage. The decor didn't scream opulance, but it was above what was generally referred to as "cattle class", much to the chagrin of several of Equestria's inhabitants.

15. - Top - End - #225

Quote Originally Posted by Ravian View Post
    She quickly tried to change the topic "Moving on, where are you off to this fine holiday?"
    "The Everfree forest," he replied quietly, wishing he'd taken another sandwich so he could politely refuse speech.

As the evening passed on, he noted his companion's general attitudes, aptitudes, and the ties between then. Speaking only when spoken to, he was nevertheless an active listener.

Swiftly though, Luna's tendrils wound their way under his eyelids, and he blink-blinked his way to the sleeping cars. They expect us to sleep in these things? I can practically touch all four walls at the same time! His wings drooped as he entered the small chamber and sat on the bed, staring blankly at the opposite wall a few feet in front of his face. At least there's a window, he thought bleakly. Otherwise, I'd really be going crazy...

The window screeched as it slid open, providing just enough clearance for Dive Bomb to stick his head out and feel the breeze generated by the engine. He sighed, enjoying the rich navies and midnight magenas with which Luna painted a starlit Equestria. Sitting on the floor with his chin on the windowsill was hardly the most comfortable of positions, but the wind in his mane and the openness of the cool December night conspired in such a way that the Pegasus hardly noticed when he dropped off to sleep.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Ogre in the Playground

Grease Spot walked into one of the individual cabins, swaying a little as the train rocked. She looked around appreciatively, enjoying the cozy little space. While some ponies she knew might have complained about the size or the plain decor, the denim-blue mare found it just to her taste. Comfortable, reasonably private, and no fancy frills to get in the way of usability.

She put her saddlebags down on the floor, fishing out her toothbrush and paste (luckily, they hadn't wound up in her larger luggage in the craziness of packing earlier in the day). After taking care of the typical before-bed hygiene, she turned out the light and tucked herself underneath the narrow bed's covers. They were soft and warm, just what she needed for the cold winter night. Closing her eyes, she let the stress of the day get carried away by the rumbling engine, clacking tracks, and swaying car.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Soot opened the door to her bunk cautiously, as if she were sneaking into it. It was strange not sleeping in the cattle class or even in a closet when she couldn't afford a ticket. Compared to that, this seemed like a master bedroom in Canterlot palace. "Nice..." Soot said to herself as she surveyed her accommodations. She put her bag in the drawer and curled up in the bunk. "Nice pillow" she mumbled to herself and wondered if anypony would notice if it was gone when she got off. Nah, it's too big to fit in my bag, plus Penny found tons of pillows in that box that fell off that moving cart last week. We'll should be fine for a while now in terms of resting our heads. the thoughts of her family made her smile as she slowly drifted off to bed.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Titan in the Playground

The hours melted away in the company of some rather fascinating individuals. Crown Cork spent the time away in idle conversation, enjoying the experience of discovering new friends, and finding new sides of the old. Spontaneous tackling aside, Soot proved to be a fascinating little pony, thoroughly devoted to her family. He would never have guessed that; he'd never seen her with them. Oh, the things that lurk just beneath the surface...

Unfortunately, the beds left little beneath the surface. Cramped, lumpy mattresses packed in almost like sardines. Thankfully this was one of the "nicer" cabin cars; Celestia knows how he'd get any sleep in one of those abominations against privacy. Still, with no luxury trains available, this would have to suffice. Another small suffering, endured in the name of his father. After washing up (and lamenting the lack of breathing space to any who'd listen), Crown Cork crawled into his cramped cabin. Even then, sleep would not come easy for the young businesspony. The meeting tomorrow weighed heavily on his mind, and the bedding had no hope of whisking him quickly to dreamland. In the wee hours of the morning, exhaustion would finally shut his eyes.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Ettin in the Playground

And so, as the train steamed on into the night, the four ponies drifted off into the realm of dreams. Not yet friends, perhaps, but the seeds had been planted through the simple act of working together.

Day 1 End -

XP summary

+1 for activity
    +1 for helping the Cakes.
    +1 if you can articulate a lesson learned in the OOC thread (DPC style! )
    +1 for Colt/Fillies
    +1 for Earth Ponies

Potential total: 5xp.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Ettin in the Playground

Day 2 - Unexpected Paths

Life.

A small word, perhaps, but a powerful one. Life is something which defies classification. Some call it simple, others hard, some spend years pondering its value and its mysteries, while many more breeze through it with nary a thought. Life is many things - It is happiness, it is sorrow, it is pleasure, it is suffering. Many would agree that life is valuable, particularly when talking about their own.

It is also fragile.

Not just from the threat of ending early, although that morbid possibility certainaly does exist, but also from change. The one constant of life is its unpredictability; plans, painstakingly crafted, can be swept away in a moment - the seemingly stable foundations of a pony's life, the certainty that tomorrow will be like today, ultimately less permanant than a daffodil in a breeze.

It was the earliest hours of the new day. The party was still making its way under the stars and across the moonlit plains in the comfort of their carriages. The night outside bore silent witness to their passage, the land of Equestria was at rest.

The train jolted.

That was the first sign that anything was amiss. What followed was the gentle tugging of inertia as the train accelerated. A shout, echoed by another in the darkness, broke the sacred peace of the night. In the corridors, there was a brief thunder of hooves.

And from outside came the surest sign of all that something was not only amiss, but deadly wrong.

A steady, pulsing beat of displaced air, audible even over the sound of the engine ...

Womph. Womph. Womph.

Like a heartbeat, it was a direct reminder of one's mortality.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Ogre in the Playground

Grease Spot's peace and comfort was disrupted by the train's sudden jolt as it smacked her head against the wall. "Celestia's teats!" she swore, groaning and clutching her tender cranium.

She sat up in the small space, blearily alternating between rubbing her eyes and her head. As she gradually regained awareness, she noticed that the train was swaying much more than it had before. There was also a slightly heavy feeling, which she realized was the train accelerating. And aside from that, there was a rhythmic thumping sound which she realized wasn't in her head.

The full implications of an accelerating train suddenly struck her. Something's wrong with the train. Something's wrong with the train and we're out of control. Oh goddess, we're going to derail.

She started to rush out the door, but her attention was caught by her saddlebags, causing her to hesitate. I might be able to help. No, I have to help. She hurriedly swung the bags on and opened the door, walking out into the hallway. She started walking towards the front of the train, slowed by the rocking train, looking for a train staff to talk to.

22. - Top - End - #232

"Ow!"

Nursing a sore chin and a bruised ego, Dive Bomb sat up again, promising himself that next time he'd be flying, blizzard or no. That conviction solidified as he heard and felt his surroundings; something was very wrong.

He stood up and quickly poked his head out the window again to determine just what.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Soot was sleeping peacefully in her little bunk when the train shook. She'd always been a light sleeper, a trait that was easy to pick up when you sleep on the streets, but at first she was not sure what was happening or where she was. "Huh! Whazzat! Kids? What's happening?" her head jerked this way and that before she remembered where she was. She quickly grabbed her saddlebag and akwardly tumbled out of her bunk thanks to the train's jolting. She saw the mare from yesterday rushing to the front of the train.

"Hey! Grease Spot, what the hay is going on?" she called as she rushed after her.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Titan in the Playground

Crown Cork yawned, snuggling up tight with his pillow."Mmmm...my sweet...my little blossom...tell me...how you get your coat so soft...is it a new shamp-"

His sweet respite from the waking world was abruptly cut off, as he was thrown bodily into the side of his small cabin. "Augh! What in the name of unholy Tartarus-what kind of train drivery is this?!" Only one thing to do now; march right down to the conductor and demand an explanation! No sooner had he taken a step, then he lost his balance amidst the train's acceleration and tumbled headlong into the front passage. He was about to voice his dissatisfaction, when something...odd, caught his ears. A deep thrum, like the heartbeat of some titan, shook the very air he breathed.

The young businesspony gulped audibly. "N-nopony panic!" he shouted to the now almost empty car. "Stay calm now! We'll get to the bottom of this, just everypony, don't. Panic." He trotted, calmly, over to the window where Dive Bomb was, and joined him for a peek outside. "Now, let's just see what all the fuss is about..."
    Last edited by TheAmishPirate; 2012-10-19 at 01:36 PM.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Ogre in the Playground

"Soot?" Grease said, quickly considering what to tell her. "I think something's wrong with the train. I'm trying to find out what, see if I can help. Follow me," she said, a thought occurring to her. "Some unicorn magic might be helpful." With that, she set off down the hall again, as quickly as she could with the train's unsettling movements.

What am I doing, getting a kid involved in this? She could get hurt, she thought. Her thoughts answered back quickly. Yes, but she might be able to help. Besides, if the train derails then she'll be in danger no matter what.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Ettin in the Playground

As Grease and Soot entered the lounge car, the lights on the train went out, plunging the cars into darkness.

Before their eyes could adjust, there was a clatter of noise from the far door, followed by voices.

"-bout time. Bluffs, light now."

A cone of white light burst into existence, dazzling the two ponies as it shone in their faces.

"Oh great." groused the gravelly voice "Civilians, return to your cabins at once."

As Dive Bomb and Cork peered outside, the light of the moon went out.

It was not like the darkness in the train, sudden and complete as one turned off the switch. This darkness swept across the face of the moon, lasting only seconds, as something passed in front of it.

27. - Top - End - #237

Dive Bomb blinked as the soft moonlit landscape suddenly wasn't, and then focused swiftly on where the moon ought to be. As the... whatever it was passed the moon and the soft blue glow suffused the world again, Dive Bomb's mind was already doing what it did best. Okay, so we have some kind of massive critter passing in front of the moon. "We have a problem," he muttered to the earth pony at his side.

The door to his cabin crashed to the side as he stumbled out. Awfully dark in here. The air filled with the acrid smell of a burning sparkler as he ran towards the front cabin, looking for the other two ponies.Why am I doing this? The logical thing is to find a door and jump out; my actions have no rational explanation. He shouldered aside the question and opened the other cabin's door.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Ettin in the Playground

"Sir I think we've lost it." came a voice from the far end of the lounge cabin, eliciting a sigh of relief from others present.

"No, wait."

The silence was tense, during which time Soot and Grease's eyes were able to pick out the glint of golden armour I the other occupants of the car.

"it's picked us up again, I think it's setting up for a pass!"

Gravelly voice swore freely. "First flight on me! We're the bait. Second try to ward it away." he ordered, leading the other guard pegasi out the end of the carriage. "Bluffs, get these foals under cover"

The other guards barrelled out, leaving Soot and Grease alone with a very familiar unicorn guard pony.

"H-hi again guys." he stammered. "I'm afraid I have to ask you to get back in your rooms, like, right now."

29. - Top - End - #239

Dive Bomb stood in the door, and looked at the rest. "There's something big outside," he said slowly, looking at the unicorn guard. Bluffs, was that his name? He gulped a bit before continuing. "What is it, and how do we get away?"

30. - Top - End - #240
    Titan in the Playground

Crown Cork simply nodded; for once in his life, words failed him.

He followed his companion's flickering light, brain racing into overdrive. That thing...we can't hope to stand against it. All we can do is...pray. Pray Celestia shines her favor upon us and this thing goes away. My father...my sweetie...what were the last words I said to you? Did they let you know how much I love you both? Or were they just a casual goodbye? Argh, Sun and Moon...

I can't remember.

The haunted visage of the young businesspony appeared alongside Dive Bomb. The colt's face was deathly pale, and his pupils were shrunk to pinpricks. He shook as one trying desperately to contain the desire to run screaming into the night. "We...have to take shelter," he finally said. "If there was a way out, we'd be long gone by now."

Drawing up upon some reserve of hidden strength, he looked the useless guard dead in the eye. "Please sir, is there not anywhere secure on this train where we can hide ourselves?"

[Scene change incoming anyway, but is there a Heart roll I can make to get us a more secure hiding spot?]
    Last edited by TheAmishPirate; 2012-10-19 at 06:09 PM.