New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Advice me up: What to get? (PS2, PS3, & XBox360-related)

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    But PC is not the universally the superior alternative to consoles in all respects.
    Oh, it definitely isn't, and I hope that wasn't what you took from my posts. They all have their up- and downsides.
    It's just that I keep hearing laments about how hard it is to get games running on the PC, and apart from the answers in here I've never gotten any feedback on what the actual problems WERE. Granted, I usually hear stuff like that on the escapist boards which have become quite cesspooly over the last years, but still...

And with that ends my thread hijacking. Sorry, OP, everything I wanted to recommend has already been recommended. Seconding Kingdom Hearts 1 & 2, though, and with fervor.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    Um, there is no information on next-gen consoles from Sony or Microsoft at this time. The Wii U arrives this November, but that's all we've got. And Sony in particular has stated their intention to continue supporting the PS3 through 2015, if I recall correctly.

Zevox
    So they're intent on making their 7 year old under-powered hardware squeak by until it's 10 year old under-powered hardware.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    It's true that when a console is dead and you can't get a new one, there's no way to play the game.
    Well, except for the scads of them that have been released as downloadable titles on modern consoles, that is. Or if you happen to have kept your old ones. Or if you spend some time tracking down a working version of those consoles on places like EBay - I have a friend who does that quite a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Jackal View Post
    So they're intent on making their 7 year old under-powered hardware squeak by until it's 10 year old under-powered hardware.
    As long as good games keep getting made for it, I doubt either Sony or the system's players care whether the hardware is old or under-powered.

Zevox
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

4. - Top - End - #34
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    Well, except for the scads of them that have been released as downloadable titles on modern consoles, that is. Or if you happen to have kept your old ones. Or if you spend some time tracking down a working version of those consoles on places like EBay - I have a friend who does that quite a lot.[...]
    Well, if you happen to have kept an old Windows 98 PC around, the same holds true for the PC, mind you. It's just that if you want to play old games, you're jumping through hoops either way, no matter if you want to play consoles or PC.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Whoracle View Post
    Well, if you happen to have kept an old Windows 98 PC around, the same holds true for the PC, mind you. It's just that if you want to play old games, you're jumping through hoops either way, no matter if you want to play consoles or PC.
    I wouldn't call picking up a game on Virtual Console/XBLA/PSN to be jumping through hoops myself. And keeping an old Windows 98 PC is much less likely than keeping an old console, since PCs tend to get updated as new stuff comes out, whereas consoles need to be replaced with a new machine.

Zevox
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

Everyone, thank you so much for your suggestions and info.

I come with another question. I didn't start doing any research on it until a couple hours ago instead of doing it on Monday, which was... not very smart on my part. So I only have until tomorrow morning to decide.

I found someone willing to sell me a PS3. I also have noted the cheapest PS3 in my location Walmart. These are the options:

USED (this description is in the words of the classmates doing the selling)
    Basically new because all we used it for was an occasional movie/ game play.

$275:
    Playstation 3
    Storage:250GB
    2 OEM PS3 controllers
    OEM Bluetooth remote
    Power cable
    Controller dock that charges 4 OEM PS3 Controllers

Games:
    Major League Baseball 2k8
    Little Big Planet 2
    Motorstorm
    Formula 1 Champion edition
    Fracture
    Battlefield Bad Company
    NBA live 10.
    NEW
    $269.96
    250GB PS3
    1 Wireless Controller
    All associated cables (Controller, AV, Power)
    Uncharted 3
    Some DLC voucher for something called "Dusk"
    Free 30 day PS+ trial
    (And of course, warranty stuff from buying new, with the possibility of getting an extended warranty for extra money if I feel like it)
    These are some concerns:
    0) It is my understanding that OEM means "not Sony brand", is this correct?
    1) Are the OEM controllers as good as the Sony ones?
    2) Can the controllers be charged via plugging like the Sony ones, or only via sitting on the docking station?
    3) Is having a warranty (the automatic one or an extended one) actually important?
    4) Will I be able to make money off of selling Uncharted 3? If yes on this one, then it will be more than the other games combined in great likelihood.
    5) Is having two controllers from the get-go really that important, especially since I mostly play one player, and can I make enough money from Uncharted 3 to justify buying a second Sony controller (which, the single blue one which was on sale at Walmart cost 45 as opposed to the red ones, which cost 55)?

While originally I was going to buy the used system, right now I'm leaning toward just getting new. Thoughts?

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

With these two options, I'd take the new one. The games with the used one don't seem to be anything you'd be interested in.

Uncharted 3 seems to go at ebay for about $15.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

Hm. Well, it seems I was mistaken and the controllers were actually Sony controllers. Once this was discovered (and I found that things were actually in really good condition) I made the choice this morning to buy the used stuff. Still not sure whether I really made the right choice.

Sigh.

Well, now I'm just waiting on Tales of Graces f to ship to my house since I ordered it on Amazon.