New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Default Re: [GURPS 4e, IC] The Dying of the Light — Infection

Quote Originally Posted by historiasdeosos View Post
    TAL
    Suddenly, in the distance, you hear what sounds like a furious roar followed by a child's scream. From outside your door and to the right, you hear the thump of feet, which fades quickly as whoever it is sprints in the direction of the roar and scream.
    Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: This is creepy enough that it may warrant a Combat Paralysis check: the "right" thing to do, in Tal's mind, is to go to the aid of a child in danger, but with what he just heard outside the cabin door and other goings on, on the ship and elsewhere. He may freeze up. I'll make the roll and let that guide his actions:
    HT check Combat Paralysis: (3d6)[9]

He passes. Time to do something rash and unwise.

Stick firmly in hand, Tal throws open the cabin door and races in the direction of the screaming.
    Last edited by Stegyre; 2012-10-12 at 12:43 AM.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Barbarian in the Playground

ESE, MAXWELL & TAL

— short downtime until John gets caught up to your approximate time —

THE DYING OF THE LIGHT
    A GURPS Zombie Apocalypse Campaign
    always accepting players

3. - Top - End - #33

John will head up the centrum to the deck his target's cabin is on.

4. - Top - End - #34

JOHN

The Centrum only goes up to Deck 07. As you take the stairs up through the levels of the Centrum, you pass by Deck 06. Everything around the lobby here is dark, and has been sectioned off with clearish plastic sheeting. A sign nearby says "This portion of the deck closed for renovation. To reach the cabins, please use the main staircase or elevators." There is a hole in the sheeting here, and through it you can make out faint light coming from the cabin area on the far side of the renovation area. You can hear what sounds like a pounding and yelling, but it's likely someone partying or something who's sick; either way, you have a mission to finish.

You continue up to the top floor of the Centrum (Deck 07), where you take the nearest elevator the rest of the way up.

Deck 10 is unnervingly quiet. You glance at the map of Deck 10 near the elevator.

Schultz's room is 1510, down the corridor to your left and just around the corner out of view. And right beside his room is the ship's bridge.
    Last edited by Inglenook; 2012-10-12 at 03:22 PM.

THE DYING OF THE LIGHT
    always accepting players

5. - Top - End - #35

The ship's bridge is probably manned- best not to be spotted this near the target. John will carefully sneak by.
    Spoiler
    Show
    stealth: (3d6)[6]

6. - Top - End - #36

JOHN

Thankfully you should be able to get to Schultz's room without passing in front of the door to the bridge. Still, it can't hurt to be quiet. As you creep down the corridor, you hear the sound of someone crying ahead, and a muffled screaming/thumping. You round the corner.

A man sits slumped with his back against the door of the bridge, his face buried in his hands. The screaming is coming from behind the door, and it vibrates noticeably as someone on the other side throws themselves against it. The crying man doesn't appear to have noticed you.

Suddenly, from down the short corridor to your left, a voice speaks out: "We've been expecting you, Mr. Smith."

The ugly man named Speck stands in front of the door to 1510 about ten feet away, the pistol in his hand aimed at your head. He looks to be in his mid-sixties, gaunt and totally bald, with large ears and cold eyes the color of dishwater. Not taking his eyes away from you, he unlocks the door to 1510 with his free hand and pushes it open. "Mr. Schultz would like to have a word with you."
    Last edited by Inglenook; 2012-10-12 at 04:03 PM.

THE DYING OF THE LIGHT
    always accepting players

7. - Top - End - #37

If I get out of this alive, my employer and I are going to have words. I wasn't immediately shot, so either a) He can't prove what he knows and doesn't want to risk a murder charge or b) He needs/wants me alive for some reason. I might be able to weasel out of this if it's a, but if I try and talk my way out and it's b, then I'll probably end up shot... Hopefully he doesn't know about my bulletproof vest. John will walk into Mr. Schultz's room.

8. - Top - End - #38

ESE

Spoiler
    Show
    The bridge is actually on Deck 10, strangely enough, right beside the high-class cabins. The elevator near the office you're in will take you directly to the Deck 10 without having to muck about on ladders and in auditoriums and the like. Normally the elevators don't go down into the engine room, but you can call them down with your engineering keycard (conveniently placed in your inventory just now!). Let me know if you'd rather take the elevator instead.

MAXWELL

You run up the length of the starboard side, shouting for help. The entirety of the deck in front of you is deserted.

You're almost to the door that leads inside right beside the Bolero Lounge when someone rounds the curve of the bow ahead of you, running in your direction. You feel a wave of relief as you see the white uniform and cap of a crewman, but the feeling is suddenly doused as you notice the way he's running toward you at a full sprint. And as he draws closer you can hear the strange noise he's making—a hoarse scream, almost a roar.

The man is about 100 yards away and closing in quickly.

TAL

You rush down the corridors, noticing out of the corner of your eye that the plastic sheeting—moments ago smooth and whole—has been ripped open; someone must have torn through it mere moments ago while you were putting up Marie. You following the sound of sprinting footsteps/yelling as best you can (though the sprinter appears to be rather faster than you). The roaring and child's screaming isn't alone now—the panicked shouts of a man and woman have joined in. You turn the corner and gawk at the scene in front of you.

The door to cabin 6554 hangs awkwardly on its hinges, barely held in place, and from behind it a girl screams "Daddy! Mom!" The door to 6556 is thrown open, and a woman in a robe stands near the doorway, screaming and staring at the scene on the floor.

On the ground in front of 6554, a tall, grey-haired man is wrestling fiercely with a fat man wearing nothing but boxers. The fat man roars and thrashes, his face purple. The grey-haired man yells, "Danielle, get the kids and run!"

The woman in the robe doesn't see the danger approaching from behind. The sprinting person you were following is a trim woman in her late 40s wearing a business suit—she's lost her shoes somewhere along the way. She rushes toward the conflict and looks as if she's preparing to launch herself at the robed woman.

You are about ten yards away from the scene, and the woman in the business suit is about five.

Spoiler
    Show
    Time for that Combat Paralysis roll!

HT 11, Combat Paralysis: (3d6)[9]

You may take action.
    Last edited by Inglenook; 2012-10-12 at 06:06 PM.

THE DYING OF THE LIGHT
    always accepting players

9. - Top - End - #39
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Tal's options aren't good for helping out. He's probably too far away to stop the business women from reaching the family, but maybe he can distract her, then tackle her.

HEY! he shouts, trying to distract the woman in the business suit, as he continues to run as fast as he can.

As soon as he is within range, he will swing his hiking stick at her as hard as he can, trying to hit her body or legs to knock her over or at least off course. That should hurt, but not be life threatening.

Spoiler
    Show
    He will make an all-out-attack, committed (+4) to hit. With no skill levels and a DX-5 default, he's going to need it.

To hit: (3d6)[12]
    Damage (assuming a hit): (1d6+2)[7] cr

10. - Top - End - #40
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by historiasdeosos View Post
    ESE

Spoiler
    Show
    The bridge is actually on Deck 10, strangely enough, right beside the high-class cabins. The elevator near the office you're in will take you directly to the Deck 10 without having to muck about on ladders and in auditoriums and the like. Normally the elevators don't go down into the engine room, but you can call them down with your engineering keycard (conveniently placed in your inventory just now!). Let me know if you'd rather take the elevator instead.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yes, he will take that elevator then.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Dwarf in the Playground

If the man looks threatening - he sounds and is acting threatening, (recalling that some of the diseased have been supposedly acting crazy) Maxwell will recoil, stepping into the Lounge and, if there is a door to it, snapping it shut. If no door, he will retreat into the room (and perhaps glance about for any possible weapon items, if the guy really looks threatening).

Additionally, he will look about to see who else is still in this room and, if anyone is still here, say "there's a crewman running this way, but I think he's one of the sick, he's... roaring at me"

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception for noticing anything more about the guy, or if needed, the room I'm stepping back into?
    Perception (10): (3d6)[2][3][6](11)
    "That’s what I do. I drink and I know things." - Tyrion Lannister

Currently playing:

Currently running:

12. - Top - End - #42

ESE

"Evacuate the ship?" Lurch blinks, running his fingers through his hair. "Man. Okay, I'm going to stay here and keep trying to get ahold of someone. Radio in and let me know what's going on."

Using your keycard, you call down the secondary elevator and ride it up to Deck 10. The deck is eerily quiet as you make your way toward the bridge at the bow of the ship.

You turn the corner and gasp slightly. A man sits in front of you, leaning with his back against the door to the bridge. Something thumps against the other side of the door … and then it screams.

The man looks up at you, and you suddenly realize that it's Captain Rendahl. He blinks at you with red-rimmed, tear-filled eyes. "There was a man here just a second ago …" he says, pointing vaguely to his right. He sounds somewhat drunk and quite frightened.

JOHN

Speck ushers you into 1510. It's one of the nicest cabins aboard the ship, large and well-furnished, with a small balcony. On the sofa sits Harmon Schultz, a cup of coffee in one hand and a pistol in the other. He smiles at you warmly.

"Search him, Richard, if you would," he instructs Speck. Speck tucks his gun in the back of his waistband and begins to clumsily frisk you.

Spoiler
    Show
    I had you wearing a Tactical Vest rather than a Ballistics Vest, whoops. Fixed that now.

Holdout (10-3): (3d6)[10]

Speck gives you a rough pat-down, but he seems to only be searching for weapons—he doesn't appear to notice the ballistic vest hidden under your clothing.

As Speck frisks you, Schultz points his gun in your direction. "I was wondering when you might get here. Waiting until the night before we arrive home, hm? By the time anyone notices I'm dead, you're off the ship and halfway back to New York. That's smart—I like it."

He motions to the half-full coffee pot sitting on a table nearby. "Would you care for some coffee?"

You can try to pull something, or you can hear what Schultz has to say.

MAXWELL

You stare nervously as the crewman sprints closer—close enough to see that his face is contorted in an expression of almost inhuman anger. Something isn't right here.

Adrenaline flooding your system, you drop your cigarette and rush to the nearby door, throwing yourself through it and slamming it shut just in time. The crewman skids to a stop on the other side of door and begins to beat against it, screaming. His face is clearly visible through the circular window of the door, and you notice that it's covered in broken blood vessels, as though he's been beat up.

You hear a noise behind you. Rebecca has come out of the Bolero Lounge, drawn by the sounds. Her eyes are wide. "Why doesn't he use the door handle?" she whispers.

"I think he's one of the sick," you explain.

She licks her lips nervously. "The door won't hold for long. I'm going to go call security." And with that she runs back into the Lounge.

SARAH

You've been standing on Deck 12 for several minutes now, and nothing has really changed aside from the person who was playing the guitar leaving. That is, until now.

Over the side of the boat—surely several decks below—you hear the faint sound of a man crying out for assistance. And moments later: an unearthly, roaring scream.

STEVE

Everything is dark. As if from far away, you hear a voice: "Wake up! Wake up!" The voice is strongly accented and unfamiliar, easy to ignore; you begin to drift off once again.

The harsh slap across your face snaps you back to reality. You're staring up into the face of one of the cruise ship maids: a skinny, plain-faced Hispanic woman in her mid-thirties with short, flyaway hair. Her eyes are dark and intense. "Sorry for hitting you," she says, her eyes softening for a moment, "but you have to wake up." She looks around nervously, and it's then that you notice the banging sound and the roaring.

You remember now. Normally you worked out of the paramedics' station in the medical facility on Deck 01, stabilizing any seriously ill or injured patients before bringing them down to the ship's doctors. But with the sudden outbreak of sickness, the entire medical facility was packed full of patients and you were forced to relocate to one of the conference rooms on Deck 07.

You and the other paramedic, Stan, had been quietly tending to sick patients in their rooms all night. With the med facility full, there was little you could do but gauge their symptoms and offer pain relievers.

Then a maid had radioed in, slightly frantic; she claimed she had knocked on a cabin door and someone inside suddenly began screaming and throwing themselves at the door from the other side. You called security, remembering what had happened with the old man on the first day of the cruise—biting and clawing at everyone around him—but no one answered. With no other options and the maid telling you to hurry, you went down to Deck 02 and opened the door to the cabin.

You were prepared to deal with a deranged and possibly violent passenger … but dear God, you weren't prepared for how fast he moved.

The passenger leapt out of the room and attacked. In less than a second, Stan was lying on the ground gurgling, his throat torn out. You tried to beat the passenger off him but it was too late. And then the maid was there tugging at your hand, pulling you down the hall. And then the passenger gave chase.

The maid had pulled you through a doorway and slammed the door just before the passenger reached it. She pulled at a heavy metal rack standing beside the door … and then darkness. And now you're here.

You sit up groggily, rubbing the swollen lump on top of your head. "Sorry," the maid says. "When I pulled over the rack to put against the door, this rolled off the top shelf and hit your head." She holds up an industrial-sized container of carpet cleaner.

You are in a largish supply closet close to the bow on Deck 02. There are many shelves and racks full of linens, pillows, toiletries, spare electrical parts, etc. The only door leading in or out of the room rattles on its hinges as the passenger who killed Stan throws his weight against it from the other side. The metal rack braces it somewhat, but the door looks like it won't hold up against such an onslaught for long.

TAL

You shout at the suit-wearing woman while running, trying to distract her, but she is too intently focused on her target. At the sound of your voice, the robed lady—Danielle, the man called her—turns. Her eyes widen as she sees the suited woman rushing at her, and she dodges nimbly out of the way.

The grey-haired man has pinned the roaring fat man to the floor, and lands a solid punch across his cheek. The fat man snaps at the grey-haired man's hand, but otherwise can do nothing but thrash around helplessly. The grey-haired man punches him again.

The suited woman lunges at Danielle once more, trying to claw at her, but again Danielle manages to jump out of the way.

You're there now. You swing your walking stick as hard as you can at the suited woman's head, but you swing goes wide and hits the wall instead. The suit woman turns, realizing that you're there, and roars.
    Last edited by Inglenook; 2012-10-14 at 02:18 AM.

THE DYING OF THE LIGHT
    always accepting players

13. - Top - End - #43
    Halfling in the Playground

RogueGuy

Staggering to his feet, Steve nearly crashes into the rack as he tries to steady himself. Blinking his eyes as his vision clears, he scans the room to assess the situation.

Then he starts to tear through the supplies on the shelves.

"Call security if you still have your radio. If this guy breaks in you let me deal with him and you just run as fast as you can."

Steve stops his frantic search for just a moment and looks the maid in the eye. "You understand me Ma'am? You run."

Spoiler
    Show
    Steve's looking for pipe, hammer, flashlight, etc. to use as a weapon. You had to stick Steve in the pillow closet, eh?
    Last edited by dekova; 2012-10-14 at 02:13 AM.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Dwarf in the Playground

Maxwell hurries after Rebecca, talking as they go. "What else have you heard, you have to know something. Is this curable? Is there a way to... calm him down? Make him stop? If not, we need to get away from here. Or barricade the door, or find something to defend ourselves with. The guy's obviously completely insane, and it looks like he's been fighting already."

Maxwell glances around nervously. "How long do security usually take? Hell, will security even come? If the staff are roaming sick, are there any security?"

Realization washes over his face as he continues this line of thought.

"... how do we even know there's anyone still driving the ship?"

Currently playing:

Currently running:

15. - Top - End - #45

No thank you. Caffeine leaves me jittery
    If he knows what I'm up to, he's quite competent. That means that since he didn't shoot me right away, he probably has something he needs me for. Let's hear what that is.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Captain! What... What's happening on the bridge? Who's in control of the ship?"

17. - Top - End - #47

ESE

Captain Rendahl sniffs and rises shakily to his feet. "The autopilot is on, so unless we run across something in the water we should be okay until we have to dock. But the bridge is … inaccessible." The pounding on the door behind him continues unabated.

He stares at you now as if noticing you for the first time. "Your uniform—You work in engineering?" he asks. "Things are out of control. We need to find Dr. Bruckner and Dr. Holm. We may have to evacuate the ship."

Spoiler
    Show

If you allow him to, Morten Rendahl will join your party.

JOHN

Speck finishes his search and readies his gun once again. "He's clean."

Schultz smiles. "Please, have a seat, Mr. Smith." With his gun barrel pressing into your back, Speck guides you into an overstuffed armchair. Schultz pours a cup of coffee for you before refilling his own cup and sitting back down on the sofa. "You should drink it anyway; I imagine we have a long night ahead of us," he sighs.

The room as silent as Schultz sips his coffee. It's several long moments before he speaks.

"You were sent here to kill me, I assume? I've been wondering for several days how you'd go about it. Gun? Knife? Smothering me in my sleep? You don't strike me as the poisoning type … but yes, I could definitely imagine you with a gun. I normally take my morning coffee on the balcony, but I've been forced inside for the last several days in fear that you'd put a bullet through my head.

"Now I'm not doubting your ability as an assassin, Mr. Smith, but I must say that you're an awful shadower. I noticed you following me on the second day. It was fairly easy to have you followed back to your room and to get your name from the passenger roster. Please tell that's your real name! With a name as unassuming as 'John Smith' you almost have to grow up to be a criminal." He chuckles.

"I also assume you're from the New York area. I don't suppose a hitman cares why he's been sent to kill someone, but without going into a lot of boring detail: I made several very prominent New York Mafia families very angry. And the fact that I scheduled my bank's business meetings aboard this particular ship as a cover to meet with a particular group of people probably enraged them further. It was only a matter of time before someone decided to kill me."

Schultz stands, going over to a nearby desk and bringing back a laptop. It's attached to a wire that trails out of the room onto the balcony. You can see what looks like a small satellite dish mounted to the balcony railing. "I'm certainly not paying ten dollars an hour to use the substandard Internet on these cruise ships," Schultz explains, "and more to the point, I don't trust their security of the connection." He clicks around on his laptop for a moment before looking at you. "You may wonder why I'm telling you all this, Mr. Smith, but given our situation I believe full disclosure is in order. That's why I want to show you this." He turns the laptop to face you.

The website shows one of those streaming webcams that are sometimes set up in the busy areas of major cities—in this case, Times Square in Manhattan. Smoke and the wailing of sirens fills the air. The pavement is slick with blood and gore. Hundreds and hundreds of people mill across the screen, their faces bruised and their eyes red. There is the sound of shattering glass and a scream, and a body suddenly falls from above and thumps heavily to the ground. The red-eyed people roar and leap upon it like animals.

"That's what happens to the people who get sick, Mr. Smith. They die or they turn into that. It's happening on this ship. And it's happening everywhere." Schultz clicks several of the other webcams—Trafalgar Square, Tiananmen Square, Piazza Navona, all the same. He closes the laptop.

"As you can see, there is a very strong likelihood that the people who hired you to kill me are already dead. You're obviously an intelligent man, and if the Mafia hired you then you must be capable at what you do. And that's why I'd like to cut a deal with you.

"The security I had with me … well, they fell ill." His eyes flicker in the direction of the cabin's bedroom. "So I would like to hire you to be my security detail. If you can ensure my safe passage to where I want to go, you'll be handsomely rewarded. Money will likely be worthless if things on the mainland are as bad as they seem, but there are other ways I can pay you: supplies, weapons, a safe haven. Whatever you want, Mr. Smith, it will be yours. And if you discover that your previous employers are still alive, by some miracle, by all means feel free to kill me then.

"I realize, of course, that this is a lot to take in at once." He sounds unusually sympathetic for a man who's pointing a gun at you. "Before you consider my offer, do you have any questions? Comments? Complaints?" Schultz smiles and leans back, taking a drink of his coffee and peering at you over the edge of the cup.

MAXWELL

"I told you everything I know already. How am I supposed to know whether 'insane ****head-itis' is curable?" Rebecca snaps as you follow her into the lounge. Suddenly she cries out, "Hey, you can't be back there!"

The drunk lady from earlier stands behind the bar, a bottle of vodka in her hand. She smashes it against the countertop, splashing the bar with alcohol and shard of glass, and waves the broken bottle agitatedly. "I'm norrt gorring torr lerrt therrm gerrt me lirrke they gorrt Don." She weaves drunkenly past you toward the entrance to the lounge, staring at the sick crewman on the other side of the door.

Rebecca looks as if she wants to complain further, but instead she picks up the phone behind the bar and dials a number. She holds it to her ear for almost thirty seconds before putting it back down with a trembling hand. "Security isn't answering," she says.

STEVE

"I—I think I dropped the radio in the hall," the maid says.

You dig through the shelves, but it all seems to be cleaning supplies, spare bedclothes and bathroom stuff. The closest thing to a weapon you can find is a broken alarm clock. There is a fire extinguisher on the wall, though.

"Wait!" the maid cries. "There's another way out of here. Está aquí—" She runs to the back of the room, past the rows of shelves, and you hear the sliding of a metal grate. "It's the freight elevator!" she calls out. "It goes from the laundry room below Deck 01 all the way up to Deck 10!"

A large crack appears in the door, and it buckles inward.
    Last edited by Inglenook; 2012-10-14 at 05:34 PM.

THE DYING OF THE LIGHT
    always accepting players

18. - Top - End - #48
    Dwarf in the Playground

Maxwell looks around exasperatedly. "All right, fine. Listen... we need to get out of here. Head maybe to a higher deck, the security office... do you know where that is, and are you two coming with me? We should stick together." he turns to Rebecca again, "And is there anything we can use for a weapon around here, in case we get attacked by one of these nutjobs?"

Maxwell eyes the door carefully now as he speaks, studying the crazy attacker (if there's a window in the door).

Spoiler
    Show
    Fast Talk(14): (3d6)[2][6][1](9) if needed to persuade them to come with me

Currently playing:

Currently running:

19. - Top - End - #49

MAXWELL

Rebecca looks uncertain, but the cracking sound of the door seems to make up her mind. She rummages around behind the bar, handing you a long, awl-like ice pick and taking a serrated fruit knife for herself.

"The security office is on Deck 01 beside the med facility; we have to take the main stairwell or elevators to get there. And the officers and stuff are probably on the upper decks. It's your call," she says.

The drunk woman wobbles over, clutching her broken bottle tightly. "Irr'm corrming too. My narrme's Brerrnda Pellerrgrino," she says by way of introduction. And then she vomits all over the floor.

Spoiler
    Show
    The ice pick will be added to your equipment.

If you allow them to, Brenda Pellegrino and Rebecca Underwood will join your party.

THE DYING OF THE LIGHT
    always accepting players

20. - Top - End - #50
    Dwarf in the Playground

Maxwell accepts the ice pick, and then turns to Rebecca. "All right, let's head down to the security office first. "

Spoiler
    Show
    If the stairwell is enclosed, then Maxwell will prefer it for being less entrapped, while still not exposed to any more of the crazies (if they're all as nuts as this guy). If stairs are more open, Maxwell will indicate the elevator.

Maxwell will accept both into the party, despite reservations against the drunk. And will accept the pick.

"Let's head out the port side quiet as we can so that we don't attract that guy's attention" Maxwell says.
    Last edited by Asherion; 2012-10-14 at 07:01 PM.

Currently playing:

Currently running:

21. - Top - End - #51
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Yes, engine room. With Lurch, osea Terry Hru-Harbowski. We could not call any of the other engineers. We tried calling the bridge. Nothing. So I come up here. A moment, please." Ese takes out the walkie-talkie, depresses the PTT button. "Lurch! I'm with the Captain, outside of bridge. The bridge is, ehh, is inaccessible. I'm going with the Captain to find the doctors, but things, este, things are bad enough we might need to evacuate."

22. - Top - End - #52

I accept. It seems unlikely that I'd get paid for killing you.

First and foremost, we'll want to pick up my rifle from my quarters on deck 3. It could be useful, and I'm more than a little attached to it. In the meantime, unless you have another weapon available, it might be best if Richard and I took the guns, though if you want to remain armed, I would understand.
    After that, we have 3 options that seems truly viable. If we manage to kill or quarantine those who are infected, then we could remain on the ship almost indefinitely. Alternatively, if we located someone who knows how to drive the ship, we could take it to somewhere free of infection, if such a place exists. While elimination or quarantine makes that easier, it is not a necessity.

If you don't think we could handle the infected, then we could locate a lifeboat. We'd want to raid other lifeboats for supplies, to ensure that we survive until we reach land. It's your choice, Mr. Schmaltz, unless you have another plan.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Hiking sticks may be cool, but Tal is realizing that he has no skill for fighting with one. "Get us something to tie them up with," he shouts, without taking his eyes of business-suit woman.

Then dropping his stick, he throws himself at b-sw and tries to grapple her in a bear hug.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Another all-out-attack, committed (+4) against basic DX: (3d6)[9]

24. - Top - End - #54

RogueGuy

"Get the elevator, we need to get to security!"

Steve starts retreating towards the back of the room. As he passes each set of shelves he gives it a big heave to pull it over, hoping the tangle of metal and supplies will slow their crazed attacker. Passing the fire extinguisher, he pulls it from the wall.

Spoiler
    Show
    If they manage to get in the elevator:
    • They're pressing button for level 1.
    • Steve's standing towards the front (in front of the maid) holding the fire extinguisher as a weapon.

25. - Top - End - #55

ESE

Lurch's voice crackles over the walkie-talkie: "Is there anything I should do? Wait, hold on one second—"

JOHN

Schultz claps his hands and grins. "Excellent! A pragmatist like myself. And a sniper rifle, is it? Good thing I didn't sit out on the balcony after all. Yes, go get it from your room. Richard will join you. Go get Mr. Smith a pistol from the bedroom, Richard, so that he can defend himself properly on the way down."

Speck pales noticeably, his mouth tightening, but says nothing. He opens the bedroom door and you see three corpses lying on the bed—Schultz's former security. Their faces are hideously contorted, and each of them sports a round bullet hole in the center of their forehead. Speck pulls a pistol out of one of the corpse's shoulder holster and returns to the main room, handing it to you.

Schultz stands and shakes your hand. "My life is in your hands, Mr. Smith. But I trust you. After you get your gun we will need to leave the ship; I imagine things will begin to escalate rather quickly, given the number of sick passengers still aboard. Once we get ashore we can begin the task of getting me to where I need to go. I'm going to stay here and pack a few things."

He hands you a walkie-talkie. "Be back as soon as you can, Mr. Smith."

Spoiler
    Show
    The pistol will be added to your equipment.

If you allow him to, Richard Speck will join your party.

MAXWELL

Your group leaves via the port side of the bar so that the madman doesn't see you. The stairs between decks are large and open, so you opt for the elevators instead. The ride down is unpleasant, since Brenda stinks of vomit and alcohol.

Spoiler
    Show
    — short downtime until everyone's at the same speed —

STEVE

Spoiler
    Show
    The elevator goes down to the laundry room, which is in the "engine room" area of the ship. But from there you can make it up to Deck 01. Is that what you'd like to do?

TAL

"I don't have any rope!" Danielle yells, but runs into her cabin anyway. The grey-haired man remains on top of the fat man, pummeling away.

You and the suited woman square off. She snarls and prepares to lunge, but you strike first, rushing at her and successfully pinning her in a bear-hug against the wall.

With your faces almost touching, the woman opens her jaws wide and snaps at your face—but you lean away from her jaws just in time.
    Last edited by Inglenook; 2012-10-14 at 11:52 PM.

THE DYING OF THE LIGHT
    always accepting players

26. - Top - End - #56

STEVE

You grab the fire extinguisher from the wall and begin knocking over shelves in order to slow the man who is breaking his way in. His arm sticks through the hole he's made in the door and claws at the air.

"It's here!" the maid yells as the freight elevator locks in place with a clang! You both quickly enter it and she presses the button for the laundry room. The last thing you see as the elevator sinks below the floor level is the man's entire upper body wedged through the hole in the door.

The laundry room is a grubby, rectangular room with high ceilings. Pipes stick out from the walls, connected to the massive washing, drying and pressing machines that fill the room. No laundry has been done since the ship left the Cayman Islands, and piles of dirty linens and towels litter the floor. A few, you notice, are covered in what looks like blood.

The maid is trembling somewhat as she steps over the piles. "The main elevator would take us to right outside the security office," she says, "but I think you have to have a card to call it down to this level. There should be a hatch or something that leads up there, though."

You exit the laundry room and step into a long, pipe-filled corridor. To your right you can hear an echoing voice and the squeal of a walkie-talkie: "Is there anything I should do? Wait, hold on one second—" There is a moment of silence before the voice calls out tentatively, "Hello? Is someone out there?"
    Last edited by Inglenook; 2012-10-14 at 11:55 PM.

THE DYING OF THE LIGHT
    always accepting players

27. - Top - End - #57

RogueGuy

Steve sets down the fire extinguisher with a clang and guides the maid down the hall at a brisk pace.

"It's Steve, Stevio Bovio, ship paramedic. Do you have a radio? We've got an emergency and need security."

28. - Top - End - #58
    Dwarf in the Playground

While Ese waits for Lurch to come back, he turns to Rendahl. Absent-mindely fingering his necklace, he gestures to the bridge door, "Hey. Are we safe here? Maybe we should start walking to the hospital? Also, like, is there more danger? Should I tell Terry to, ehhh, check that no one messes with the engines?"

29. - Top - End - #59
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

"Get some socks to stick in their mouths, so they can't bite. Tear some sheets, get belts or suspenders -- anything we can tie them up with. Little girl: get us some pillow cases to put over their heads. If they can't see, they'll have a harder time fighting."

Tal will try to knock out b-s w's legs to force her to the ground - on her stomach, if he can manage it - and will try to pin her there. Assuming he gets the supplies, he will tie her hands behind her back, tie her legs, gag and blindfold her.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I am AFB, but I believe that is at least two more rolls: one to take down and one to pin. He will do everything as AOA committed, figuring that his best defense is a very strong offense:
    Takedown (3d6)[6]
    Pin-if-takedown-succeeds (3d6)[13]

Edit: looks like the takedown should succeed. He will keep trying to pin until that succeeds, too.
    Last edited by Stegyre; 2012-10-15 at 10:26 AM.

30. - Top - End - #60

ESE

Captain Rendahl nods, wiping his eyes and staring at the door with a strange expression. "Good idea. And can I see that radio?" You hand it to him, and as you walk toward the main elevators he begins switching the frequency and calling various stations on the ship, to no avail. As he flips the knob back to its original position, Lurch's voice crackles out: "—ome people down here who need to get up to the security office; they say it's an emergency. I'm going to take them up there, if that's cool?"

The captain depresses the speak button. "Terry, is it? This is Captain Rendahl. Get everyone down there up to Deck 01 as quickly as you can. It's an emergency. Over." He hands the walkie-talkie back to you and says, "Let's hurry."

Spoiler
    Show
    The elevator will take you to Deck 01 outside the security office and medical facility, unless you'd like to do something else. There will be a small downtime as everyone gets caught up to the same speed.

STEVE

As you and the maid make your way down the corridor, an extremely tall, lanky man with a serious face pokes his head out of a doorway ahead of you. He looks slightly rattled. "Whew, okay. Sorry, I was getting kind of jumpy down here by myself. Paramedic, you said?" He hands you the his walkie-talkie, and you try to radio the security station. No answer.

The man shakes his head. "It won't do any good. I've tried calling and radioing everyone, but no one's picking up. What's going on up there? My roommate radioed and said that he's with the captain, and that we might have to abandon ship. They're going to the med center right now—"

"The medical center?" the maid interrupts. "That's right beside the security office. Can you get us up there? We need a card key to call the elevator from down here, or to open the maintenance hatch."

"Uh, yeah, I guess so, since it's an emergency." He takes back his walkie-talkie and depresses the speak button. "Ese, there are some people down here who need to get up to the security office; they say it's an emergency. I'm going to take them up there, if that's cool?"

A familiar male voice answers back: "Terry, is it? This is Captain Rendahl. Get everyone down there up to Deck 01 as quickly as you can. It's an emergency. Over."

The tall man blinks. "I guess I'm coming with you guys, then. I'm Lur—I mean Terry," he says as three of you make your way back down the corridor.

"Yolanda," the maid says simply.

You reach the elevators and Terry swipes his key card in the slot beside the doors. It dings as the elevator is called down. There is a ladder leading up to a hatch set in the ceiling right beside the elevator.

Spoiler
    Show
    The elevator will take you to Deck 01 outside the security office and medical facility, unless you'd like to do something else. There will be a small downtime as everyone gets caught up to the same speed.

If you allow them to, Terry "Lurch" Hrabowski and Yolanda Lopez will join your party.

TAL

You hear Danielle tearing apart 6556 in search of things to tie the attackers up with. Behind the broken door to 6554, the young girl continues to cry, "Mom, Dad, what's going on?!"

The grey-haired man lands two more solid blows against the fat man. The fat man's face is a mess of blood. He should have passed out by now—but he continues to thrash.

Using your momentum, you easily bear the suited woman to the floor. She snaps again at your neck but misses, and you take the opportunity to try to pin her down. She resists strongly for several seconds, nearly bucking you off, but you finally manage to hold her down.

Spoiler
    Show
    You missed the first pin roll, but I did several others for you in the seconds afterward: 12, 13, and finally 8. All the woman's attacks missed due to being grappled and on the floor.

The grey-haired man yells as the fat man throws him off. He scrambles backward but the fat man lashes out, grazing his exposed legs and leaving shallow cuts.

Spoiler
    Show
    You've been in combat for eight seconds. Danielle is still in the cabin, and you've got the suited woman pinned to the floor. The grey-haired man is shocked for the next turn and lying prone. The fat man is free and on his stomach, preparing to crawl toward the grey-haired man.
    Last edited by Inglenook; 2012-10-15 at 01:26 PM.

THE DYING OF THE LIGHT
    always accepting players