New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Default Re: [GURPS 4e, IC] The Dying of the Light — Infection

Quote Originally Posted by Maxwell
    "I have a lighter, and cigarettes. Are you sure we wouldn't be better off just getting the hell off of this boat?" he says.
    Tal gives the man a grim smile. "Mister, maybe you didn't hear me, but we just came from Deck 7, where the lifeboats are, and where the crewmen getting them ready were slaughtered. Some of the boats are maybe part-way ready -- I don't know about such things -- but you're a braver man than I am if you want to go down there any time soon."

Quote Originally Posted by xen0phile View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'll wait a bit before posting more--remember my character has a radio and access to an intercom (since he is now down in engineering)--in case you want him to try something with the intercom.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm pretty sure that Tal has no IC knowledge of Ese, his location, or radio. I think Ese left before Tal arrived, and I don't recall anyone mentioning such a minor-seeming detail.

Quote Originally Posted by historiasdeosos View Post
    From around the corner (close to the bridge), you all suddenly hear the sound of a door opening and closing. Brenda freezes mid-strike, eyes wide.
    "I'll go see who it is," says Tal. To Jamie, "I suggest you stay here with the others." Without waiting further, he heads up the hall and around the corner.
    Last edited by Stegyre; 2012-10-25 at 11:36 PM.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Anyway, Ese will hurry back to the elevator with the stuff. He'd like to see that Rebecca's okay, but he's more concerned about getting upstairs at the moment.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Barbarian in the Playground

ESE

You hurry back into the elevator with the sack, slowed slightly by its weight. As the elevator ascends through the ship, you can hear roars and screams through the doors at each level. You arrive at Deck 10 and, as you step out of the elevator, you see Steve to your right, standing in front of the stairwell (from which the screaming has grown much louder) and waving a lit cigarette in the air.

MAXWELL

Spoiler
    Show
    Do you have any name in mind for your/Schultz's/Speck's banking company?

STEVE

You're of only average height, so you hope this works. You light the cigarette and stand in front of the stairwell, raising it as high in the air as you can and waving it in front of the small sensor above the doorway.

There's a space of about thirty seconds in which you're not sure it will work. Ese exits the elevator beside you, carrying a sack and looking confused as to what the hell you're doing. Then, the light above the doorway begins to flash an angry red, and a 2/3-inch thick solid metal gate descends from the ceiling, sealing off the stairwell entirely. No one is using the main staircase to get to or from Deck 10 anytime soon.

TAL

You turn the corner … and from a short corridor immediately to your left, three men also turn the corner, two of them with guns raised and pointed directly at your face.

Two of them are quite older: one grandfatherly, carrying nothing; the other bald, dour and ugly, wielding a pistol. The third is a young man with a buzzed head and dark, inscrutable eyes; he carries a long rifle with a scope mounted to the top.
    Last edited by Inglenook; 2012-10-26 at 12:59 AM.

THE DYING OF THE LIGHT
    A GURPS Zombie Apocalypse Campaign
    always accepting players

4. - Top - End - #184
    Halfling in the Playground

RogueGuy

After taking a moment to evaluate the sturdiness of the fire door, Steve turns to Ese.

"An axe! Perfect, come on."

He starts jogging back to the group.
    Last edited by dekova; 2012-10-26 at 03:00 AM.
    I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. Some come from ahead and some come from behind.
    But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!
    - Dr. Seuss

5. - Top - End - #185
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Tal raises his hands slowly (including the one carrying the hiking stick) to show he means no harm.

"Ordinarily, seeing men armed like that would mean trouble, but under the circumstances, you just look well prepared. Do you have a plan? Would you like to know ours?"

6. - Top - End - #186

STEVE

You turn the corner and make it back to the others without incident.

TAL

The grandfatherly man in the back smiles warmly—jarring, given the circumstances—and makes a motion for his companions to lower their weapons. "It's alright, this gentleman doesn't appear to be one of the sick ones." They comply.

"We do in fact have a plan, Mr … ?" He waits for you to supply your name before continuing. "But we'd be more than happy to hear yours as well. Oh, and where are my manners?! My name is Harmon Schultz, and these are my associates: Richard—" He motions to the sour-faced old man, then the young one with the shaved head. "—and Mr. Smith."

Spoiler
    Show
    If you'll allow them to, Harmon Schultz, John Smith and Richard Speck will join the party.

THE DYING OF THE LIGHT
    always accepting players

7. - Top - End - #187
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ese hurries after Steve.

Spoiler
    Show

Holding an axe, not expecting people with guns around the corner. Hope he isn't mistaken for an infected!

8. - Top - End - #188

ESE

Spoiler
    Show
    Nah, you're good; Tal and the newcomers are right beside the door to the bridge, out of the line of sight to Stig's cabin.

You rejoin the others without incident as well.

Brenda is still frozen, listening for any sounds of warning from Tal, who disappeared around the corner toward the bridge several moments ago to check the source of the noise. From what everyone can hear, it sounds like he might be talking to someone.

"Hey, creepo!" Jamie calls after him impatiently. "What did you find?"

THE DYING OF THE LIGHT
    always accepting players

9. - Top - End - #189

RogueGuy

Steve lets the others deal with whatever's going on around the corner and focuses once again on the door.

"Ese, I can breach the door with that axe. Can I see it?"
    I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. Some come from ahead and some come from behind.
    But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!
    - Dr. Seuss

10. - Top - End - #190
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ese drops the bag next to Brenda. "Miss, there's a first aid kit in the bag," alluding to her scratches. "What is that guy, este, Tal doing?"

to Steve:
    "Sure. Crowbar in here, too." He hands over the axe, then grabs the crowbar from the bag.
    Last edited by xen0phile; 2012-10-26 at 01:59 PM. Reason: responding to Steve

11. - Top - End - #191

RogueGuy

"Thanks."

Steve hefts the axe in his hands, looks to make sure he's got a bit of space to both sides and takes a monstrous swing at the door.

Spoiler
    Show

Okay, let's see if I can figure out how to use this forced entry skill.

Using All-Out Attack (Strong) for +2 dmg plus Telegraphic Attack for +4 to-hit.

To Hit = 16
    • Forced entry skill is 12
    • -1 penalty for only have str 11 (2h axe requires str 12)
    • +1 forced entry bonus for using fireman's axe
    • +4 bonus from Telegraphic attack

Damage = 1d+7
    • Base Swing dmg is 1d+1
    • 2h Axe is SW+3
    • All out attack (strong) is +2
    • "Fine" quality cutting weapons are +1 (at TL7+, all weapons considered fine quality)

THAT'S more like it.

I'll leave it to you to determine if Steve thinks he should attack the door or the lock (firefighter skill roll? IQ roll?). If it's the door, he uses the axe end. If it's the lock, he'll reverse the axe and use the spike end (and would lose 1pt of damage since he's not using "fine" cutting edge).

Assume he whacks at it 5 times unless there's something that happens in game to stop him. (just to avoid posting 5 times that he swings).
    Last edited by dekova; 2012-10-26 at 06:22 PM.
    - Dr. Seuss

12. - Top - End - #192
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Alright, alright! I'm back, already.
    I'd thought with historiasdeosos away we'd be slightly slower-paced.

"Faulkner, Tal Faulkner," he tells the men. "Right now, we're trying to get one of the crew cards to get access to the bridge. If need be, that will give us a very secure door to hide behind. It will also give us access to the intercom.

"I thought we might use the intercom system to lure the infected some place we can secure them. The captain says the engine room may have secure doors. I think someone was going to trip the fire alarm on this deck, so the stairwell doors will close. That should give us some breathing room here."

Tal invites the three men to accompany him back around the corner to meet the others. Just so no one is alarmed, he calls out before rounding the corner, "I've found some more friends, well-armed friends."

13. - Top - End - #193

ESE

Brenda sits on the cheap carpet, roots through the bag to find the first aid kit and begins inexpertly wrapping the bandages around her head.

"Here," Anna says, kneeling beside the haggard woman and helping tend to her wounds.

You hand the axe off to Steve and take the crowbar from the bag, appreciating its solid weight.

STEVE

Spoiler
    Show
    Hm, technically we're not using Telegraphic Attack, since it's from Martial Arts and we're only using Basic Set. But since you know what it is and factored your attack around having that +4, I'll allow it this time. After the adventure I'm going to try to get everyone's feedback on (among other things) what combat rules everyone wants to use for the rest of the game.

Professional Skill [Firefighter] (SL11): (3d6)[12]
    Forced Entry (ESL16): (3d6)[8]damage if it hits: (1d6+7)[12] - 1 for door DR
    Forced Entry (ESL16): (3d6)[10]damage if it hits: (1d6+7)[11] - 1 for door DR
    Forced Entry (ESL16): (3d6)[13]damage if it hits: (1d6+7)[12] - 1 for door DR
    Forced Entry (ESL16): (3d6)[11]damage if it hits: (1d6+7)[11] - 1 for door DR
    Forced Entry (ESL16): (3d6)[11]damage if it hits: (1d6+7)[8] - 1 for door DR

Throwing all your weight into your blows, you strike at the wooden door with your axe. It takes only three blows for you to knock a hole in it big enough for a person to fit through.

TAL

Schultz, Speck and Smith follow you around the corner, just as Steve begins hammering at the cabin door with the fire axe. Anna is kneeling to apply antiseptic to Brenda's cuts, and Morten, Ese and Yolanda hover anxiously to the side. Everyone glances up at the new arrivals, and Morten does a double-take. "Mr. Schultz?"

"Hello, Captain!" Schultz says over the pounding of the axe.

MAXWELL

Behind Tal are three men, two of whom you recognize: your fellow board members Harmon Schultz and Richard Speck. Schultz spots you among the group, his eyes widening in an expression of pleasant surprise. "And hello, Maxwell!" he says. "Fancy meeting you here."
    Last edited by Inglenook; 2012-10-30 at 12:11 AM.

THE DYING OF THE LIGHT
    always accepting players

14. - Top - End - #194

RogueGuy

Satisfied with his work, Steve lowers the axe. Staying slightly further than arms reach from the door, he peers through the hole into the cabin until he's fairly satisfied no infected are within.

Then, as quickly as possible, he reaches through the hole and works the handle from the inside to open the door.

Spoiler
    Show
    Reaching in to work the handle with the left hand.

Steve will search the cabin unless asked to remain outside.
    Perception 12
    Observation 11 (though observation probably doesn't fit here)

Figure you should make the perception rolls since I shouldn't know if I missed something.
    Last edited by dekova; 2012-10-29 at 11:31 PM.
    - Dr. Seuss

15. - Top - End - #195
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ese slings the bag with the wrench (but now sans first aid kit) back over his shoulder, and steps toward Steve and the door, preparing to follow him through and search the room.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Tal heads sternward for the secondary stairwell. "I want to make sure that was sealed off, too, and I should try to bring the Carvers up to this deck, now."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Barring anything else, that is exactly what he will do: head to the secondary stairwell; make sure the fire doors closed it off as well; slip through the doors (making sure they close behind him) and going up to Deck 11 and the Arcade to let the Carvers know he has met up with the Captain and several others on Deck 10; they believe that deck has been sealed off from infected in other parts of the ship; and it is probably the safest place to be, for the time being.

If anyone volunteers to come with him, they are welcome, although he believes no more than two or three, at most, should make the trip.

If necessary: stealth (3d6)[10] diplomacy to convince the Carvers (3d6)[11]

17. - Top - End - #197

Spoiler
    Show
    Only the main stairwell is sealed off, not the secondary one. And all elevators are still functional. Does that affect what you want to do?

THE DYING OF THE LIGHT
    always accepting players

18. - Top - End - #198
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by historiasdeosos View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Only the main stairwell is sealed off, not the secondary one. And all elevators are still functional. Does that affect what you want to do?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yes!

Seeing that the rear stairwells and elevators were not sealed off, Tal runs back to the main group: "We still need to trigger the fire alarm on the rear stairwell: it looks wide open, and this deck is not secure."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Tal will accompany whoever has the lighter and cigarette and wants to come. Alternatively, if someone just offers him the necessary items, he will take them and go, proceeding with his original plan, except that he will first seal the stairwell before heading down.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Ese would likely be searching the cabin by the time Tal got back from that stairwell, so he might not hear him.

20. - Top - End - #200

RogueGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Steve still has the lighter and one unlit cigarette. He probably dropped/put out the lit cigarette back by the main staircase.

The following assumes that Steve can hear what Tal said. If he can't, I'll retract.

Steve stops for a second, thinking, then says: "I've got the lighter, and I'll go with you."

Turning to Ese: "Can I get your keycard? We'll get Rebecca too."
    Last edited by dekova; 2012-10-30 at 11:32 PM.
    - Dr. Seuss

21. - Top - End - #201

ESE & STEVE

Steve reaches through the hole, unlocking the door and pulling it open. He and Ese enter the room, followed closely by Morten.

"Spread out and search for Stig's key ring," the captain whispers. "It should have all his cards on it."

The room is brightly lit and quite a bit larger than the cabins on the lower decks, with ample room for a queen-sized bed, sofa, table and chairs, and a private balcony. The only sign that something is off is the television; the glass is broken as if someone threw something through it. The occasional spark flies out of the jagged hole in the screen, and it's amazing that it hasn't caught the rug on fire.

The three of you begin quickly rifling through drawers, and after only a couple of minutes you hear Morten let out a sigh of relief. "Got it," he says, reaching into a bedside table drawer and pulling out a bundle of perhaps fifteen small key cards.

Spoiler
    Show
    See Tal's section for the rest of Steve's action.

TAL

Running back to the group, you explain to Anna, Brenda and Lurch that the secondary staircase needs to be closed as well. At that moment, Morten, Ese and Steve exit the first mate's cabin, having overheard you. "I've got the lighter, and I'll go with you." Steve says, pulling out Maxwell's Zippo once again. Steve turns to Ese. "Can I get your keycard? We'll get Rebecca too."

"Here, take mine," Lurch shrugs, handing Steve his card.

Tal and Steve run down the corridor, pausing only to pick up the half-burned cigarette from the floor near the main staircase. From behind the lowered fire door you can hear pounding and muffled roaring; it appears the infected passengers found Deck 10 after all, perhaps drawn by the sound of Steve's axe?

Reaching the secondary staircases near the stern, both men listen closely: it sounds as there might be infected in both of the stairwells, but numerous decks down. Steve is slightly taller, so he quickly repeats the procedure of holding aloft the lit cigarette to set off the alarms; the fire doors lower over each of the staircases.

Tal and Steve lift one of the heavy doors and creep under, making sure it closes behind them, and make their way up the short flight of stairs to Deck 11.

You are on Deck 11, on the port-side secondary staircase near the stern. Directly in front of you is an emergency exit door, which Tal recalls leads directly into the Arcade (although there's no way to enter it from this side).

Just to the left of the emergency exit is a staircase that leads up to the Viking Crown Lounge. The entrance to the Living Room is just to your left, around the corner.

Suddenly, you hear screaming echoing down the staircase to the Viking Crown Lounge—not the frenzied screaming of the infected passengers, but the frightened scream of someone in trouble.

THE DYING OF THE LIGHT
    always accepting players

22. - Top - End - #202
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

With a quick glance at Steve, Tal then turns and bounds up the stairs to the Viking Lounge.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Cannot yell out. Don't want to draw any of the infected up the staircase any faster than they're already coming. Deal with this, then get the Carvers.

23. - Top - End - #203

RogueGuy

The noise spurs Steve to action. Abandoning thoughts of stealth, he sprints up the staircase towards the screaming.

Spoiler
    Show
    While moving, he's trying to figure out (by sound) if it's a man, woman, child, multiple people, etc.. that's making the noise.
    - Dr. Seuss

24. - Top - End - #204

STEVE & TAL

As you both sprint up the winding flights of stairs, Steve tries to place the screaming—gender, age, number—but the echoing of the stairwell makes it impossible to discern much except the fact that whoever is screaming is terrified and in trouble.

You reach the top of the stairs. Ahead of you is a frosted glass double-door, the latch broken in (although the glass is only slightly cracked). Above the door is a neon sign: VIKING CROWN LOUNGE. The screaming comes from within, and you enter.

The Viking Crown Lounge is a large, open, disc-shaped room raised above the rest of the ship like a glittery-white flying saucer. Inside, the Lounge is enclosed by floor-to-ceiling windows, providing a 360° view of the upper decks and the ocean. Ringing the Lounge are dozens of tables and chairs for dining during the day.

In the center of the room is a large, circular platform, raised about fifteen feet above the dining area, accessible by two sets of stairs and a ramp that winds around the back. This is the nightclub dance floor, and lights here flicker rhythmically off the glittery ceiling even though there's no music to be heard.

On the dance floor platform are two people, both of whom Tal recognizes: the beautiful young woman with the cane who he saw standing on Deck 10, and the heavyset black man who had been reading on Deck 11 before Tal started playing his guitar. The two appear to have been hiding here, but they were apparently discovered. Neither of them is armed, except for the woman's cane.

Sprinting up the staircase toward them is one of the infected people: a female crewman.
    Last edited by Inglenook; 2012-10-31 at 02:41 PM.

THE DYING OF THE LIGHT
    always accepting players

25. - Top - End - #205
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Oh, well, if it's Mr.-I-don't-care-for-your-music, I'll just be heading back down to Deck 11 and people who appreciate me . . . .

JUST KIDDING!

Figuring that he and Steve are far enough from the stairwell that any extra noise they make won't make a difference with the noise already coming from the lounge, Tal shouts out and waves his stick to try to get the infected's attention while continuing to run: "Hey! Hey! Over here!"
    Spoiler
    Show
    Lacking any more effective tactic, Tal will close at maximum speed and try another AoA committed grapple. Attack, when it comes to it: (3d6)[9]

Note: If Steve -- or anyone else -- gets to her first with a grapple, Tal will focus upon grappling her hands/arms. His goal is to immobilize her ability to fight back.

26. - Top - End - #206

RogueGuy

Weaving between the tables, Steve continues his sprint. His eyes dart to the various tabletops hoping to find something he can throw at the woman to get her attention.

Spoiler
    Show
    So.. Not slowing down, but if there's something that is within grabbing range as he weaves between the tables (a plate, vase, etc.), he grabs it and throws it. No damage is expected, he's just trying to get her attention.

Throw skill is 9

ETA:
    Spoiler
    Show
    If they get to melee range and woman still facing/attacking someone else, it's an all-out-attack: (determined) with the 2h-fireaxe. If Steve is now her target, it's a more reserved standard attack.
    Last edited by dekova; 2012-10-31 at 03:31 PM.
    - Dr. Seuss

27. - Top - End - #207
    Dwarf in the Playground

Maxwell nods in response to Schultz and Speck's approach "Hello, indeed... the circumstances, are unfortunate though, yeah?"
    He watches Steve and Tal run off again, and glances around at (whichever others are around) and shrugs.

"All right. We have they keycards. What now?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry, I've been away and/or busy again, I'll try to hop back into the groove. Also I'll post on our other game tonight or tomorrow :D
    Last edited by Asherion; 2012-10-31 at 09:15 PM.
    "That’s what I do. I drink and I know things." - Tyrion Lannister

Currently playing:

Currently running:

28. - Top - End - #208
    Dwarf in the Playground

After Morten finds the keys, Ese takes a moment to unplug the TV, then another moment to glance around the room to see if there is anything useful to grab.

Maxwell's question bring his attention away from continuing to loot the room. He climbs through the door and glances at the three new arrivals. The pistols don't get to him too much, he had occasionally smuggled similar-sized packages into ships himself. It's that guy's big rifle that surprises him. But, where he normally would feel fear at the sight of such a weapon on-ship, he now feels a modicum of relief.

"Pues... we have the key. We can go into bridge... if we want." Stating the obvious, but alluding to the fact that they would have to deal with the source of the pounding that has been coming from behind the door.
    Last edited by xen0phile; 2012-10-31 at 10:06 PM. Reason: spelling

29. - Top - End - #209

ESE & MAXWELL

Ese unplugs the television before rejoining the group outside. As Steve and Tal run off, Maxwell asks, "All right. We have they keycards. What now?"

"Pues... we have the key. We can go into bridge... if we want."

Morten's expression darkens, but he nods. "Follow me." Lurch is right behind him. Anna helps Brenda (whose face is orange with iodine) to her feet, while Speck and John both look at Schultz for approval. He gives them an approving nod, and together everyone heads the short distance down the corridor to the bow, turning the corner.

Morten suddenly stops dead, causing everyone behind him to stumble. Looking past him, the two of you see what caused him to halt:

Ahead of you and to your left is the door to the bridge. Past the door is the starboard corridor that runs parallel to the hallway you were just in. And standing at the junction ahead of you is a woman.

Her short, silk nightgown—once white—is completely covered in blood, as are her hands and face. It's impossible to tell her hair color because of the blood, and it clings wetly to her face and throat. She simply stands there, unmoving, with wide and unblinking eyes; it seems as if she's not so much looking at you as looking past you.

Spoiler
    Show
    I hate trying to describe corridors and junctions and whatnot in relation to one another, so here's a minimap!

The group is standing more or less exactly where Tal and Harmon/Speck/John met, at the red arrow; the red line shows where you came down the corridor toward the bow. The purple line is the bridge door, and the green dot is the bloody woman.

And it's no problem, Corrino. I've been pretty busy myself, so I apologize to everyone if my updating has been somewhat slower than usual the last few days.

STEVE & TAL

Spoiler
    Show
    Steve's Throwing (which I have at SL11 on your char sheet? -1 for situational disadvantage): (3d6)[9]
    Steve's Two-Handed Axe Attack (ESL14): (3d6)[8]
    Hit Location: (3d6)[12]
    Damage on a Hit: (1d6+4)[8]

You both chase after the woman, yelling, but she appears to not even notice you. Even when Steve grabs a heavy plate off a nearby table and lobs it at her, striking her in the back, she continues with single-minded focus up the stairs, chasing after the black man and the red-haired woman with the cane. The two run toward the ramp at the back of the dance floor, the man clutching the woman's arm and pulling her along roughly.

Steve catches up with the infected female crewman halfway across the dance floor. His axe swings in a wide arc, severing her left arm and scraping against her ribcage. The arm falls to the floor twitching, and the woman shrieks and turns to face you—you certainly have her attention now.

And then Tal is there. He throws himself at the woman, trying to pin her arms to her sides … but of course, one of the arms is no longer there. Still, he manages to hold her right arm down. The woman snaps violently at him but misses.

Spoiler
    Show
    Tal has grappled the now-one-armed woman, and she's bleeding all over him. The black man and the red-haired woman are fleeing down the ramp on the far side of the dance floor.

Also, I'm trying very hard to fight the urge to make an "unarmed combat" joke.
    Last edited by Inglenook; 2012-11-01 at 12:16 AM.

THE DYING OF THE LIGHT
    always accepting players

30. - Top - End - #210

RogueGuy

Steve hefts the axe for another swing but hesitates, unsure, as the two grapple in front of him.

"Step away!"

Spoiler
    Show
    So I read the rules on B392 about striking into a close combat, yikes!

Steve is holding his attack, waiting for Tal to disengage from close combat (take a step back or to the side). Once that happens, AoA-Determined with the 2h-axe.

to hit: 15
    • skill: 11
    • aoa-determined: +4

damage: 1d+5
    • swing: 1d+1
    • axe: swing+3
    • fine weapon quality: +1

- Dr. Seuss