New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default How to access threads that have been Archived?

I hope this is the right place to ask this question... how do you access a thread that's so old as to be archived?

I'm not doing thread necromancy or anything. I don't need to post in the old thread.

I do need to be able to at least see it, though. But when I try to google it (which is the only way I can find it), the page just comes up white.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong? Or something I'm -not- doing?

I hope coming here to ask was the right thing to do....

2. - Top - End - #2
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

Default Re: How to access threads that have been Archived?

We don't archive threads. They either exist or they don't.

By default, only the last 30 days of threads are shown, this is to reduce server strain. If you wish to see threads before that date in the list of threads, change the option to the bottom of the forum display.

There is something at the bottom called "archive", which may confuse people, as it only contains a mirror of everything available on the main forums in a different format.

In certain forums, we purge threads after a certain amount of time has gone by. For those forums, how long before the thread will be purged is noted clearly in the forum description. Once they have been purged, they are gone completely.

In certain forums (other than those with the rolling purge date), we purged all threads posted in 2006 or earlier. This purge happened in 2009 (except for one forum which was accidentally overlooked). Those threads are gone completely.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    We don't archive threads. They either exist or they don't.

By default, only the last 30 days of threads are shown, this is to reduce server strain. If you wish to see threads before that date in the list of threads, change the option to the bottom of the forum display.

There is something at the bottom called "archive", which may confuse people, as it only contains a mirror of everything available on the main forums in a different format.

In certain forums, we purge threads after a certain amount of time has gone by. For those forums, how long before the thread will be purged is noted clearly in the forum description. Once they have been purged, they are gone completely.

In certain forums (other than those with the rolling purge date), we purged all threads posted in 2006 or earlier. This purge happened in 2009 (except for one forum which was accidentally overlooked). Those threads are gone completely.
    Huh. That answers one question...

I have my view set so that it does list as many threads as it can. No particular reason why... though it only goes back to 15 pages, 716 threads, and the thread in particular that I'm looking for doesn't seem to be available on any of those pages...

I only said archive because it was part of the title of one of the more promissing results when I first googled to try to search for it.

... THERE'S MY ANSWER! Threads in that forum get purged after 3 months. Maybe that's what happened to it... though I could have sworn the thread wasn't 3 months old yet... ah well... that's probably what happened. Thanks for the answer.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Out of curiosity (and who knows, maybe I can help) for which thread were you searching?
    Are any of my tables still broken?
    Visit Beautiful Gatazka Today!
    Fluff | Crunch

I'm hardly an expert, but feel free to PM me if you ever need anything; build advice, homebrew advice,
    elaboration of a post I made, elaboration of my homebrew, my Social Security number, or just a friendly ear.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Lyndworm View Post
    Out of curiosity (and who knows, maybe I can help) for which thread were you searching?
    Anywho, it was an old recruitment thread. One of the games I'm in has room for more people, and I was thinking I could start from the genesis of the game to check for compatable candidates.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Ah... Yes, that is rather likely to have been removed. Sorry I couldn't help!
    Are any of my tables still broken?
    Visit Beautiful Gatazka Today!
    Fluff | Crunch

I'm hardly an expert, but feel free to PM me if you ever need anything; build advice, homebrew advice,
    elaboration of a post I made, elaboration of my homebrew, my Social Security number, or just a friendly ear.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

Question asked and answered, so... closed.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak