New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: WATCHTOWER 16: Quick and Dirty

[Courtyard/Keep Entrance]

"Nothing that's happened yet, but the Commander believes it's an urgent matter, and seeing as I'm the closest thing to an 'expert' we have, I don't think he's wrong. You have anything that can be used for showing a map or something, like some meeting room? It'll help to explain. I'd also suggest gathering the other leaders as well-trust me. This could be big. Extremely big." He sounds genuinely concerned about it, though it's hard to read him with all that armor on.
    Spoiler
    Show

by Happyturtle and Ashen Lilies

FFR Links:

2. - Top - End - #212
    Titan in the Playground

[Courtyard/Keep Entrance]

Wenomir thinks about this. The guy sounds serious, so it'll be best to let him make his case.
    "Alright. Follow me." He heads to the Planning Room and sends DC, KR and Cessie a message through the pager:

Some guy showed up. Claims he works for Vyrn and has some urgent news. Meet us in the Planning Room.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Bugbear in the Playground

[???==>Planning Room]

I'll be there.
    Comes the reply.

And sure enough, the sorceress will come to met them in the planning room. "I'm here." She states with a faint smile.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Orc in the Playground

[Courtyard/Keep Entrance/???==>Planning Room]

Understood.
    Hill follows Wenomir to the Planning Room, where DC has already arrived, oddly enough. While the psychic is silent for now, the soldier is not. "Tell me when you're all ready. I'll need that computer over there."
    Spoiler
    Show

FFR Links:

5. - Top - End - #215

Quote Originally Posted by C'nor View Post
    Harin counts both the robot and the big metal stick as potential weapons.

"If you want to, sure... What area were you thinking of checking out, then?"
    [Main Room]

Mia thinks for a moment.

"Well. A few got to Inside so the demon thing might be solved there, hopefully. We can go outside or to Riverside or checking the other acro's, but that would be the worst idea."
    Grammer is my declared deadly enemy!

Let's PLay's in German Take a Look at Bravely Default.

Nexus Characters: LINK

6. - Top - End - #216
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zefir View Post
    [Armory]

"Her talent with plantts." She says with a smile.
    "Oh. Um, you growing a tree or something?" Adir asks.

((Also, on an unrelated note: would anyone like to go demon-hunting with Cornelia? She could certainly use something to do.))
    Last edited by Murkus; 2012-12-07 at 02:51 AM.
    My avatar was done by Gullara. Thanks again!

"If you meet a spirit walking,
    Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

-Things Our Mothers Tell Us

Nexus Characters

7. - Top - End - #217
    Titan in the Playground

[Planning Room]

"Feel free to use it," Wenomir says. He's eager to find out what it's all about.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

8. - Top - End - #218

[Planning Room]

"Go ahead." Cessie replies as she arrange her robes for her to take a seat on a nearby chair.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Orc in the Playground

[Planning Room]

"Don't break the computer," DC comments.

"Right, let's see." Hill turns it on and plugs in a flash drive. He takes a bit to figure out where everything is on the computer before getting it to do what he wants-after all, he doesn't actually know all the functions of this thing. It doesn't help that he's deliberately taking it slowly and carefully, so as to avoid accidentally breaking it.

"Does this even have a proj-oh, found it." He finishes eventually, though, and a projected map of the Hunting Grounds is displayed on the table. One of the perks of satellite access is that they can be used to make maps like that.

"You all familiar with this?"

"Yes. Everyone one of those regions is infested with monsters of varying types, many all too deadly. There's even a network of caverns under the mountainous region with creatures there as well. What interest would Vyrn of all people have in such a place?" DC seems skeptical.

"Well, let me just pull up an example..." Hill messes with the computer some more. The map fades, replaced by an image of a white, dragon-like creature with four pairs of legs. Its skeletal structure is visible in the image, like one of those pictures out of a biology textbook. "We discovered that that creature's bones are stronger than steel, to the point of being able to resist a power-armor augmented strike from one of your own designs-the superheated blades. I should know, I was the one who fought it."

"That doesn't answer-"

"I'm getting to it. Let the others ask any questions they wish first, though, we have talked long enough."
    Spoiler
    Show

FFR Links:

10. - Top - End - #220

[Planning Room]

"No, go on. I'll save my questions until you're done. I am familiar with the hunting grounds though. My husband have been there a few times." Cessie replies.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Titan in the Playground

[Planning Room]

"Yes, go on. I haven't seen anything worth our attention yet," Wenomir says.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Orc in the Playground

[Planning Room]

"Right. Take a good look at that creature with what I told you about in mind. It's nasty enough in and of itself, but imagine what one could do with it. The potential danger is far too great to ignore."

Hill pulls up the image of the Hunting Grounds in general again.

"Such beasts roam all of these regions. The bodies interest the Irregulars due to their potential value as materials-bones capable of stopping weapons like that are worth studying at the very least, from what the labcoats told me. But that's not the part you should be concerned about.

Imagine if one hostile necromancer began raising bodies from this place. They would soon have an army capable of causing immense devastation, with untold numbers and power. Commander Vyrn cannot ignore this. He lived through one massive undead incursion in Inside, and he will not stand and wait for another to occur. The armies of the Empire are gone, and we and Remnant simply don't have enough left to take on something like that again. We're setting up our own operation for the purposes of both scientific study and supervision, of course, but we want your support in dealing with any problems, such as the necromancer issue, that we encounter there. Especially if there's any organization behind it."
    Spoiler
    Show

FFR Links:

13. - Top - End - #223
    Titan in the Playground

[Planning Room]

"Yes, it could be a big mess for us to deal with," Wenomir says. "Aren't the Hunting Grounds protected by some kind of deity, though?"

14. - Top - End - #224

[Planning Room]

"I must admit it seems like a costly endeavor, could you explain how you're going to do this in more detail?"

15. - Top - End - #225
    Orc in the Playground

[Planning Room]

"I could aid in dealing with costs and the like myself..." DC doesn't say anything about whether or not he will just yet, though.

"I see no reason to leave this in the hands of some deity. If those beings were going to prevent this sort of thing, the Nexus would be a far more peaceful place." Hill really doesn't seem to consider possible divine intervention as something to even consider here. "We have our own plans for the basic operation that can go ahead with or without your assistance. That isn't why we're talking to you now-we want your aid in enforcement against any major problems that pop up, such as other less trustworthy organizations, like AMEN for example, attempting to begin their own operations. Smaller threats like an individual necromancer are nothing to us-we could simply launch an airstrike and leave it at that. But against stronger factions, we can't afford to start something that might cause them to target Inside in retaliation. Not without allies. Essentially, all you need to do is be there if and when we call for you to help-you need to do nothing actively."
    Spoiler
    Show

FFR Links:

16. - Top - End - #226
    Titan in the Playground

[Planning Room]

Wenomir folds his arms across his chest.
    "That sounds... reasonable. Keep an eye on the place, then drop on whoever tries to exploit it. I think we'll want to take a more active part in the defense than just waiting for you to call use, though."

17. - Top - End - #227

[Planning Room]

"So if I understand this correctly, you want to patrol the area and force away anyone that attempts to use these creatures for their own purposes? But that about the warriors who are drawn there to test their mettle?" She personally thought that such practices were rather primitive, but it was still a concern.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Orc in the Playground

[Planning Room]

Hill shakes his head. "Not exactly. We don't have the manpower to control the all of it. The problems are largely those who would misuse it, such as the potential danger of necromancy. Believe me when I say that our plans that will not interfere with the current use of the regions comprising the Grounds. Should you wish to take part more actively, you'll find that you'll be able to, once our operation is under way."

He sure is being vague about it.
    Spoiler
    Show

FFR Links:

19. - Top - End - #229
    Titan in the Playground

[Planning Room]

"Operation, you say. What exactly do you plan to do with that place apart from protecting it from being exploited by criminals?" Wenomir asks. Despite being more or less on the same side, he doesn't trust this guy.

20. - Top - End - #230

[Planning Room]

"If we're going to be involve din this, I think we should get to know a bit more details then what you have." Cessie agrees.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Orc in the Playground

[Planning Room]

"We intend to...regulate things, you could say. We actually plan on sponsoring hunts there-we get a fee for inserting those who would normally be unable to access the Grounds, and pay a bounty should they bring anything interesting back for us to study. They say there's a great scientific opportunity here, though I'm not really an expert on that myself." Hill shrugs. It's hard to read him, what with the fact that he's still fully armored, helmet and all. "Said 'anything interesting' includes materials, bodies, plenty of things, potentially. Gets it away from the necromancers, and gives the scientists their opportunity. I know the Commander's reputation likely precedes him here, but I remind you that after he established his government originally, he was always a supporter of stability. His Empire even sent aid to this organization during the Felinian invasion. That flying ship he had before Sanctuary, Haven, I think it was, came here and blasted the invaders for you."

That much is true-Haven did in fact show up and aid WATCHTOWER during that event. The main airship the organization has is a result of that, as it was originally shot down by Haven before being looted by the organization's techs.

"We want your support because we know it is entirely within your interest to aid us, and you have plenty of reasons to trust us."
    Spoiler
    Show

FFR Links:

22. - Top - End - #232

Quote Originally Posted by Murkus View Post
    "Oh. Um, you growing a tree or something?" Adir asks.

((Also, on an unrelated note: would anyone like to go demon-hunting with Cornelia? She could certainly use something to do.))
    [Armory]

"In a way. It's about the area around the church. It miss a bit green."
    she replies with a smile.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Ogre in the Playground

[Main Room]

Mia thinks for a moment.

"Well. A few got to Inside so the demon thing might be solved there, hopefully. We can go outside or to Riverside or checking the other acro's, but that would be the worst idea."

"What, nowhere then? If you don't want to go hunting, then fine, but don't invite me then say going anywhere besides the place it's already being dealt with is the worst thing to do..."

24. - Top - End - #234

[Main Room]

Mia looks at hi very confused.

"What you mean? I only mean the acros wouldn't be good, since people could missunderstand what we do. I don't know what you heared."

25. - Top - End - #235
    Titan in the Playground

[Planning Room]

Wenomir's eyes narrow a little.
    "So you intend to profit from it. What if someone you get there does manage to use something for destructive purposes after all?"

26. - Top - End - #236
    Orc in the Playground

[Planning Room]

Hill sighs. "We don't have the resources the Empire did, and much of our funding goes to keeping our men and equipment running, even with our alliance with Remnant. We need more if we're going to keep the operation running at all, it's as simple as that. And if someone we send does something like that there, remember-if we're running insertions for them, in all likelihood, they're not very able to get back on their own, and we're not exactly going to extract someone who's pissing us off like that. Not to mention the part where we're still entirely capable of launching airstrikes."
    Spoiler
    Show

FFR Links:

27. - Top - End - #237
    Titan in the Playground

[Planning Room]

Wenomir waves his hand. "Alright, fair enough. It does look like this operation might be beneficial, so we can offer our support for now. What do you think, Cessie, DC?"

28. - Top - End - #238
    Orc in the Playground

[Planning Room]

After a few moments contemplating, DC speaks up. "They are some of the few in a position to do anything here, and the dangers can't be ignored. I...don't know about their leader one way or another anymore, but he's not wrong about this. I was there in that undead assault on Inside this man mentioned too, and that was bad enough with mostly-regular undead and the Empire there to help. Not helping to prevent something like that from happening again would be an idiotic abandonment of this organization's purpose."

Hill is silent, waiting for Cessie's input.
    Spoiler
    Show

FFR Links:

29. - Top - End - #239
    Halfling in the Playground

[Armory]

"In a way. It's about the area around the church. It miss a bit green."
    she replies with a smile.
    "Well I bet we could help you out. I'll drive some plants over there, and she'll just... work her magic," Adir says, grinning. He doesn't tell her enough, but he really does love what Sakura's done with their hill-house.
    My avatar was done by Gullara. Thanks again!

"If you meet a spirit walking,
    Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

-Things Our Mothers Tell Us

Nexus Characters

30. - Top - End - #240

[Planning Room]

"I'd personally like to investigate the hunting grounds myself first before making any decision. Just how frequent are these 'super-beasts' exactly? From what I have seen, there are quite dangerous beings in outside as well after all, not to mention that I believe we might we want to be careful about this goddess if we really want to start this operation." Cessie replies.

[Watchtower - General]

After the meeting Cessie can be seen wandering watchtower, looking for Cornelia who is on her list of watchmembers she haven't met yet.