New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Optimizing an Adept

Hello community, I am involved in a game with a group missing my usual players. Instead, there are people playing a healer bard, a savage species harpy, and a half-minotaur trying to dual wield orc double axes.

Gods help us all.

So in the sake of playing fair, I have decided to play an Adept. Yes, the NPC class. I am asking for whatever help I can get to make this lowly piece of glass sparkle like a diamond.

Thank you all in advance.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: Optimizing an Adept

im terrible at optomizing but for core at least i would go adept10/loremaster10

not much but like i said im terrible at this
    LEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEROY...... where's my BBEG?

"Life... dreams... hope... Where do they come from? And where do they go? Such meaningless things... I'll destroy them all!" Kefka-Final Fantasy 6

Insanity brings out the best in all of us. That, or swearing.

Rarely respond if I do its a miracle (as a 20th lvl caster)

Standings in IC:

20th in IC XXXIV(Dragon Disciple)

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by Dragrun View Post
    im terrible at optomizing but for core at least i would go adept10/loremaster 10
    Can divine casters get into Lore Master?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground

it says any type of casting
    LEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEROY...... where's my BBEG?

"Life... dreams... hope... Where do they come from? And where do they go? Such meaningless things... I'll destroy them all!" Kefka-Final Fantasy 6

Insanity brings out the best in all of us. That, or swearing.

Rarely respond if I do its a miracle (as a 20th lvl caster)

Standings in IC:

20th in IC XXXIV(Dragon Disciple)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

Adept isn't that bad. It's better than Monk, for sure. Here are some things to focus on:

1.) Poison! Get Master of Poisons. read the poison handbook: http://brilliantgameologists.com/boa...p?topic=4854.0
    2.) Familiar. You get one. Read the Familiar handbook: http://dictummortuum.blogspot.com/20...-handbook.html
    3.) Knowledge! Get knowledge devotion.
    4.) Polearms! Use a Longspear and Gauntlet, or a Fauchard and Gauntlet.

Also, consider being a 'Religious Adept', for a domain. Also, add cleric prestige classes that add domains (or turn undead!) and such; those are GREAT. Use that to power Devotion feats, or divine feats.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Spamalot in the Playground

Sovereign Speaker is a good option (Adepts explicitly qualify.) This will let you broaden your spell list considerably. Depending on how you read it, you could even gain domain slots (handy with Anyspell.)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SleepyShadow View Post
    Can divine casters get into Lore Master?
    They can if they can get enough Knowledge ranks. So, more easily than Sorcerers.

Optimizing an Adept really isn't very different from optimizing any spellcaster, except for the easy access to the Hexer PrC (which is from Stormwrack, IIRC). Pick PrCs with full casting that you qualify for. Pick out your best spells and figure out how to (ab)use them optimally. With the Adept, this mostly means looking for the spells on its list that are decent Wizard spells that Clerics can't normally access: Polymorph, Scorching Ray, etc.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Draz74 View Post
    They can if they can get enough Knowledge ranks. So, more easily than Sorcerers.

Optimizing an Adept really isn't very different from optimizing any spellcaster, except for the easy access to the Hexer PrC (which is from Stormwrack, IIRC). Pick PrCs with full casting that you qualify for. Pick out your best spells and figure out how to (ab)use them optimally. With the Adept, this mostly means looking for the spells on its list that are decent Wizard spells that Clerics can't normally access: Polymorph, Scorching Ray, etc.
    Hexer is actually from Masters of the Wild.
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

I mentioned this in the other thread, but Hexer is a full BA/full casting class specifically designed for Adepts, adding 5 Sorcerer/Wizard spells to the Adept's spell list, as well as a variety of Wis-based debuffing hexes.

Combined with Eberron Adepts' domain access, it can give an adept a fairly unique swath of abilities.

Something like Dread Necromancer 1/Adept 4/Dweomerkeeper 4/Hexer 10/Contemplative 1 would lose a caster level, but would have access to DMM, some Sorcerer/Wizard spells, 2 domains, and all the hexer debuffs. It could work as a springboard for a gish by using self-buffing spells and metamagics, or just as a party buffer metamagicking things like DMMed Reach Chain Polymorph or Celestial Aspect free Stoneskin.
    Last edited by eggs; 2012-10-12 at 01:35 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10

Thanks for the help, everyone