New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default LOTR Blue Ray Extended 15 disc edition or "the dangers of geeking out too much"

I let my inner geek rampage free this weekend and this is what it ended up buying. Basically I spent yesterday and today first going through all the extra material and then watch the movies (Fellowship yesterday, Two Towers today).

A very nice weekend indeed!

...What did you do the last time YOUR inner geek escaped?
    Blizzard Battletag: UnderDog#21677

Shepard: "Wrex! Do we have mawsign?"
    Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: LOTR Blue Ray Extended 15 disc edition or "the dangers of geeking out too much"

What. When I heard about the DVD 12-disc set I thought it was rather excessive. But enough content to fit 15 Blu-ray discs? That sounds like less of a weekend and more of an entire week.
    ^~Cody T.~^

"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant; it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are." - Mewtwo

3. - Top - End - #3
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: LOTR Blue Ray Extended 15 disc edition or "the dangers of geeking out too much"

Only the movies are on blu-ray, the extra content is on regular DVD, but you do get digital copies of the movies.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Planetar

Funny, I actually watched the whole extended trilogy a week ago (thur-sat). I don't really count that as geeking out because I only watched one movie per night. A few years ago I watched the whole extended trilogy in the same day. Needless to say, I didn't do much else that day.
    Signatures are so 90's.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Avilan the Grey View Post
    I let my inner geek rampage free this weekend and this is what it ended up buying. Basically I spent yesterday and today first going through all the extra material and then watch the movies (Fellowship yesterday, Two Towers today).

A very nice weekend indeed!

...What did you do the last time YOUR inner geek escaped?
    I wrote out an entire Marvel action role-playing game, a mixture of Mass Effect and Fallout 3 gameplay wise .
    Last edited by Maxios; 2012-10-01 at 03:03 PM.
    Artifical intelligence is no match for natural stupidity
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogerd View Post
    Strike me down and I'll clean the floor faster than you can imagine

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Maxios View Post
    I wrote out an entire Marvel action role-playing game, a mixture of Mass Effect and Fallout 3 gameplay wise .
    Cool!

I only had time watching through the first two movies and their respective extra materials this weekend

I have not watched the movies for a long time before this, and I have to admit that it recreated my crush on Éowyn. It doesn't help that she is perfectly casted by the LOVELY Miranda Otto. I actually developed somewhat of a crush on her (Éowyn) already when I read the book the first time at 12 years old, she was definitely my favorite character in the book. It resurfaced again when I bought the Tolkien Bestiarium at 14, and bloomed fully when I first saw Two Towers...

Yes, I am pathetic

Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

15 blue ray?!?
    ...what kind of extra stuff they put into? Christopher Lee that recite the whole books?
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

The digital ghost of Tolkien, as with Neuromancer.
    Si non confectus, non reficiat.

The beautiful girl is courtesy of Serpentine
    My S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripjat Let's Play! Please give it a read, more than one constant reader would be nice!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Killer Angel View Post
    15 blue ray?!?
    ...what kind of extra stuff they put into? Christopher Lee that recite the whole books?
    As stated above it's only the six blue ray discs (the movies) the rest are nine DVDs with extras.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

As stated above it's only the six blue ray discs (the movies) the rest are nine DVDs with extras.
    Nine DVDs contain a lot of material anyway. If the time you had to spend watching the extra material, surpasses the one you spend to watch the movies, it falls beyond my "geeky limit".
    That's strictly personal, of course.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Well on the subject of geeking out with Tolkien, I have an entire cabinet full of LOTR Tradeable Miniatures Game pieces. Basically enough to make a nice tabletop scene with any LOTR faction you can name (Except dwarves. Not enough dwarves.).

And then I bought 4 main sets of Heroscape so that I can make nice hex-based terrain to fight on. And then I bought a bunch of Heroscape accessory sets.

For the amount of money I spent on this, I could have hired a pair of high-quality call girls to spend an entire day with me. I regret nothing!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

uhm.. I have the extended edition dvd sets.. the ones with I believe 4 discs a piece..
    are you telling me that the blueray edition has more extra stuff yet?
    All hail Smutmulch for crafting my avatar!
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    Cursed zombies are more realistic.
    Spoiler: siggatar and previous avatars.
    Show

the Badass Monkby Avi. Aktarus by Chd. Dehro by Wojiz

13. - Top - End - #13
    Pixie in the Playground

Daemon

For the amount of money I spent on this, I could have hired a pair of high-quality call girls to spend an entire day with me. I regret nothing!
    Imagine the amount of skittles you could've bought. Skittles you could've possessed right now. Then look me in the eye and tell me you regret nothing.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Killer Angel View Post
    15 blue ray?!?
    Has that been done yet? If not we need to hurry, the man is 90. Quick, make the greatest audiobook of the century before it's too late.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

15. - Top - End - #15
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    Has that been done yet? If not we need to hurry, the man is 90. Quick, make the greatest audiobook of the century before it's too late.
    Sadly the title of greated audio book has already been claimed.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dehro View Post
    uhm.. I have the extended edition dvd sets.. the ones with I believe 4 discs a piece..
    are you telling me that the blueray edition has more extra stuff yet?
    Basically, as far as I can tell, it has the original four discs, plus the "behind the scene" discs that are included in the normal theatrical DVD release.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Basically, as far as I can tell, it has the original four discs, plus the "behind the scene" discs that are included in the normal theatrical DVD release.
    good..that means I don't have to buy a bluray capable thingy.. and the bluray box set either.
    All hail Smutmulch for crafting my avatar!
    Cursed zombies are more realistic.
    Spoiler: siggatar and previous avatars.
    Show

the Badass Monkby Avi. Aktarus by Chd. Dehro by Wojiz

18. - Top - End - #18

PirateCaptain

I only ever watch the Extended Cut anymore. The theatrical feels so limited. Also with the Extended versions I can kill ~12 hours leading up to New Years every year with my sister and folks.

My family is made of Geek.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    Ninjadeadbeard just ninja'd my post. How apt.
    Ninjadeadbeard's Extended Homebrew

19. - Top - End - #19
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tal_Akaan View Post
    Sadly the title of greated audio book has already been claimed.
    I dunno, a version of that read by heston would be pretty cool as well. But yeah, james earl jones reading that book? Badass.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    I dunno, a version of that read by heston would be pretty cool as well. But yeah, james earl jones Mufasa reading that book? Badass.
    Fixed that for you.

21. - Top - End - #21

PirateCaptain

I dunno, a version of that read by heston would be pretty cool as well. But yeah, james earl jones Mufasa Darth Vader reading that book? Badass.
    No no. Now it's fixed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    Ninjadeadbeard just ninja'd my post. How apt.
    Ninjadeadbeard's Extended Homebrew

22. - Top - End - #22

Well I watched all the Harry Potter movies in one sitting, almost literally, I got up once to go the bathroom, and a couple times to post on the computer. That's probably the most impressive marathon I'll ever do.
    Shapperdash, movie reviews amongst other things.
    Natural 1, a tale of critical failures
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    If you're ever in a situation where you can't survive, go for the broke and fill all of creation with chickens. Just imagine the reaction of people halfway around the world when every square inch of space in their world is suddenly and completely full of chickens.
    Homebrew
    1st in Iron Chef XXXIV with a Warforged bard

23. - Top - End - #23

I regularly marathon + drinks. Today was X-men. LOTR, Star Wars and the Matrix are all common ones.

On the geeky note, today I managed to score the Watchmen Complete box (with the Black Freighter sequences inserted) for $6.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

I dunno, a version of that read by heston would be pretty cool as well. But yeah, james earl jonesMufasa Darth VaderRev. Kumalo reading that book? Badass something that makes sense.
    SO TOTALLY FIXED.

I haven't even seen any extended editions. I do however, plan to. Coming this December, Mutant Sheep loses his soul. For the LAST. TIME.
    Can only thank GitP for being so good for so long.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
    If it helps, think of me as the Agent from Serenity. Just not that good a fighter. Also, I have a mustache.
    I'm probably hilarious far off, aren't I?
    Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    This is not... the greatest story Tolkien ever wrote. No... This is just a tribute.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracon1us View Post
    don't feed the troll...

A pile of thanks piled on other thanks to Teddy for photorealistic avatar.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JoshL View Post
    On the geeky note, today I managed to score the Watchmen Complete box (with the Black Freighter sequences inserted) for $6.
    Best. Movie. EVER.
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Picked up the same set a couple weeks ago on sale for $40.

Then found out that Costco (I guess Sam's Club for you US folks) is now selling it for just over $30 :/

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

confused Re: LOTR Blue Ray Extended 15 disc edition or "the dangers of geeking out too much"

We still have Costcos in the US; hell, my grandmother lives only about two minutes away from one.
    Last edited by Maxios; 2012-10-10 at 10:54 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #28

Quote Originally Posted by Maxios View Post
    Best. Movie. EVER.
    Having had a chance to sit down and watch it, an argument can definitely be made. I loved the theatrical cut. I thought they did a good job cutting out stuff while keeping the core of the story. I thought changing the Space Squid to a threat less, well, stupid was a good idea. I thought naming the second gen Minutemen as "the Watchmen" was annoying, but good for the casual viewer. But the symbolic parallels between the Black Freighter and the story are half of the brilliance that is Watchmen.

Veering back towards the topic, I thought that cut did what the extended LOTR did; which is smooth over some of the things that annoyed me most about the theatrical cut (in that case, Faramir being turned into Borimir 2, rather than one of the strongest noble characters in the whole book!)

29. - Top - End - #29
    Colossus in the Playground

I dunno, a version of that read by heston would be pretty cool as well. But yeah, james earl jonesMufasa Darth VaderRev. Kumalo Thulsa Doom reading that book? Badass something that makes sense.
    Have I finished fixing it yet?
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."