New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Cult-run town

1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Cult-run town

In my current (first) campaign, the first session my players fought against a cult in a town. It's a medium-sized harbor town, doing moderate trade. They initially wiped out three priests, and several worshipers/townsfolk, and the town butcher (that one was an accident, but was pretty hilarious).

Now, they discovered that the mayor was not part of it, but was pretty ineffectual at her job, and the town was pretty much being controlled by the captain of the town guards. They didn't meet him, instead skipped town. They do plan to return to Blue Harbor soon, as soon as the wizard has completed his geas, and I'd like to have turned the town upside down.

Basically, I want the guard captain to enforce martial-law, and the place be crawling with cultists. I'm thinking of instead of the cult being in a basement/catacombs that they have the main sacrificial table in the town square, with mandatory attendance for townsfolk. Does this sound reasonable? Any suggestions to help fill in details?

I've got a couple sessions before they get back there (I think, unless that darned wizard completely blows through everything I've got planned out), but I just feel kind of stumped on details.

ETA: The cult is to Scahrossar, from BoVD. Think black leather masks, whips and chains, and torture on the sacrifices that lasts several days.
    Last edited by hennasmith; 2012-10-11 at 09:22 AM.
    Awesome avatar by Kymme. :)

78% of all DM's start their first campaign in a tavern. If you're among the 22% who didn't, copy and paste this into your signature and tell us where you DID begin.

I started my first campaign with each character's individual journey into town. And they all rolled really bad spot checks and missed the clues they were supposed to see on their way, so they may as well have started in the danged tavern for all the good it did me.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Re: Cult-run town

The town should be run like The Village (directed by M. Night Shamalamadingdong). All the adults should be in on the secret, with the children being slowly indoctrinated over time until they become an adult.

Instead of Martial Law, the town should try to "appear" as normal as possible. They don't want to draw attention to themselves, least they be destroyed by a powerful church, militia, or adventuring party. If someone visits the village by themselves, the cult can kidnap them and use them as a sacrafice.

If anyone comes to town looking for this lost person, everyone can tell them that they just passed through.
    I underwent "Specialized High Intensity Training" for the English language. My training focused on avoiding abbreviations and acronyms. Not all of them are a good thing.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kansaschaser View Post
    If someone visits the village by themselves, the cult can kidnap them and use them as a sacrafice.

If anyone comes to town looking for this lost person, everyone can tell them that they just passed through.
    THANK YOU!!!! This actually provides me the perfect lead-in for them as well!

I do like "The Village" type setting for it as well. Perhaps a small black token of some kind in a window of each building, to signify their devotion?

I think there will be a stricter-than-normal guard presence in the town, but having it be more a-secret-that-everyone-is-in-on will make logistics a little easier for me.
    Awesome avatar by Kymme. :)

78% of all DM's start their first campaign in a tavern. If you're among the 22% who didn't, copy and paste this into your signature and tell us where you DID begin.

I started my first campaign with each character's individual journey into town. And they all rolled really bad spot checks and missed the clues they were supposed to see on their way, so they may as well have started in the danged tavern for all the good it did me.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

For mechanics, you might check out the Commoner Handbook. It has a great deal of information on how to make villagers devoted to some evil being.

There's also the horror movie Black Death, which was liked by most people using 'nyms other than "Jeff the Green," that offers an... interesting take on pagan cults in the middle ages that one might adapt to your concept.
    Author of The Auspician's Handbook and The Tempestarian's Handbook for Spheres of Power.
    Ask me (or the other authors) anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lateral View Post
    Well, of course I'm paranoid about everything. Hell, with Jeff as DM, I'd be paranoid even if we were playing a game set in The Magic Kiddie Funland of Perfectly Flat Planes and Sugar Plums.
    Greenman by Bradakhan/Spring Greenman by Comissar/Autumn Greenman by Sgt. Pepper/Winter Greenman by gurgleflep