New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

biggrin DC Animated Movies

These things Rule!

They are quick, fun and great bites, with unique animation styles and based off some of the best stories in the DC universe!

What are your favorites?

Mine is the New Frontier and Superman VS the Elite (Starring Accento man! The man with an accent so thick it can only be cut by plasma!).

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: DC Animated Movies

I loved Batman Beyond Return of the Joker
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

The Wonder Woman movie is one of my favs.

And I can't remember the name, but the one where they deal with their evil alternate-reality selves is brilliant.

One of the movies, I can't remember which, contains a Green Arrow short which is just awesome.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dusk Eclipse View Post
    I loved Batman Beyond Return of the Joker
    As an unrepentant Joker fanboy, yes this one is good (endings a bit off though, the Joker looses)

On the same vein, Mask of the Phantasm is pretty good even if it is essentially a romance, and non-DCAU Under the Red Hood has John DiMaggio giving the only cartoon performance as Mistah Jay that is even comparable to Mark Hamill.

Quote Originally Posted by DiscipleofBob View Post
    The Wonder Woman movie is one of my favs.

And I can't remember the name, but the one where they deal with their evil alternate-reality selves is brilliant.
    Crisis on Two Earths unless I am mistaken. And I need to get around to seeing the Wonder Woman one, it's on my to-watch list.

One of the movies, I can't remember which, contains a Green Arrow short which is just awesome.
    The shorts are great, definitely. Hell the 5 minute Jonah Hex short blows the movie out of the water. Though the Catwoman one seemed far too focused on flashing T&A for my tastes.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Under the Red Hood. That thing is amazing.
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

6. - Top - End - #6
    Halfling in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    And I need to get around to seeing the Wonder Woman one, it's on my to-watch list.
    You definitely should - it's easily one of the best. Annoyingly, I heard it didn't sell too well when it was originally released (though its sales figures picked up over time through word of mouth), reinforcing in the minds of studio executives the idea that female heroes won't sell well.

I'm a huge fan of Superman: Doomsday, too. I'd heard a ton of bad reviews about it from a variety of sources, but when I actually watched it for myself, I really couldn't see what had inspired all the negativity.

Maybe it's because it's not a faithful adaptation of the comic, but then the whole death-and-return comic storyline spanned multiple titles for over a year, so we were never going to get that in one film. The shortcuts and changes they made worked just fine, IMO.

Oh, and the DVD's got a insightful comentary with Bruce Timm and a fun documentary about the creation of and reaction to the original comic book death of Superman.

The shorts are great, definitely. Hell the 5 minute Jonah Hex short blows the movie out of the water.
    The Green Arrow and Spectre shorts are great, too.
    Last edited by Senator Cybus; 2012-10-20 at 06:59 PM.
    I have a cookie now! (::) I've licked it, so no backsies.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

In before Batman: Gothem Knight and Batman/Superman: Most Wanted?
    "I Burn!"

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Under the Red Hood. Forever. Blargle.

Green Lantern Emerald Knights was a good collection of stories, I liked it.

My problem with Superman vs. the Elite and Superman:Doomsday is the diverging art styles. Doomsday have weird character models and Elite has a chin three sizes too large.

Superman/Batman Apocalypse and Public Enemies are great (Enemies has a colorful art style, Apocalypse has the lined Red-Hood sexiness).

Oh yeah. The stories are pure epic.

Edit: Shorts! The Spectre one is... scary. I really enjoyed watching it. Green Arrow's "the arrow's green" killed me (who else would actually say that? [its called 'a light']), and Year One was good (got that with Arkham City), but I disliked the Catwoman short because of both it being boring and "oh catwoman has TWO ENTIRE BREASTS DID YOU SEE THEM!", and also I hated the Catwoman sections of Arkham.

And I dunno if Return of Black Adam counts as a short or a really small movie. Was great though, epic Billy Batson.

Havent seen Frontier, Batman looks untolerable. And its all weird. Elite is much better than the comic, at least.
    Last edited by Mutant Sheep; 2012-10-21 at 05:51 PM.
    Can only thank GitP for being so good for so long.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
    If it helps, think of me as the Agent from Serenity. Just not that good a fighter. Also, I have a mustache.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    I'm probably hilarious far off, aren't I?
    Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    This is not... the greatest story Tolkien ever wrote. No... This is just a tribute.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracon1us View Post
    don't feed the troll...

A pile of thanks piled on other thanks to Teddy for photorealistic avatar.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Metahuman1 View Post
    In before Batman: Gothem Knight and Batman/Superman: Most Wanted?
    Ehh, I thought Batman: Gotham Knight was only ok, with some stories being much more interesting than others, and I haven't seen Most Wanted yet.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Banned

I liked Wonder Woman and Superman vs the Elite

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Batman: Mask of the Phantasm and Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker are still the standard by which the others should be judged.

Put me on the list of people that "really should get around to watching the Wonder Woman one". I've had enough people tell me it's better than it looks that I'm getting ready to rent it.

The first Green Lantern one... I'll say this nicely, it stunk. Yes, that was being nice.

GL: Emerald Knights on the other hand? Darn good, and not just because they got Mojo Doesn't Socialize into animation. The complete remake of Liara was close to being an improvement.

New Frontier I've got mixed feelings on. I enjoy it enough I ended up buying it. It does have its flaws that keep it from the "Mask" and "Joker" level.

Superman: Doomsday is better than some poeple give it credit for. Personally I like my Lois married to Clark and knowing the truth, and this was an examination of why I don't feel the alternative works. To each their own.

All Star Superman? This is the one I think is overrated. That's a different thing from saying it's *bad*, but I regret buying it before I rented it.

I had hope for Justice League Doom... but it didn't rise to the level of the original story, which is a pity. Worse, some of the 'politics' stuck out like a sore thumb and detracted from the story (WW having a whip instead of a lasso, Cyborg being on a team, "our GL is a better actor", that sort of thing). Also, the end solution was... absurd... and that's being nice.

I'm going to second the opinion that Batman: Gotham Knights is a mixed bag. A couple of them were good (I've always said Deadshot had the potential to be a key Batman villain). One was incoherent. One was needlessly preachy.

Crisis on Two Earths was a great one-watcher or renter. I loved their take on Owlman in particular, and the Batman vs Superwoman fight was fair to both characters.
    Last edited by TheEmerged; 2012-10-21 at 07:30 PM.
    • Sometimes, the knights are the monsters
    • The main problem with the world? So many grownups, not enough adults.
    • Talk less; say more.
    • George R.R. Martin, Kirkman, and Joss Whedon walked into a bar. There were no survivors.
    • Current Project: Fallout 4 "nerd" build (3/7/2/2/9/3/2, PER 9 after boosts)

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

I liked and disliked The Return of the Joker.
    I liked it's darker tone, but I didn't like the whole
    Spoiler
    Show
    Joker uploading himself int oa computer chip which somehow mutated Tim Drake into the Joker, body and mind
    thing.
    Even by comic book standards, it felt very silly, especially with the otherwise mature tone.
    Still, it was nice to know that,
    Spoiler
    Show
    with Joker gone, Harley regained her sanity.

My heart always ached for that gal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

13. - Top - End - #13
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

I'm gonna agree that Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker was good, but I watched a superman one not that long ago that was pretty decent. Allstar superman I think.

Under the red hood was also enjoyable. Batman: year one was not what i expected. So yeah, the DC animated films are pretty good other than who they get to voice batman.