1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default What is the Best Spell to Fell Animate?

I'm working on an Uttercold Assault Necromancer based off K's Necromancer guide. While I know he recommends just using Fell Animate as free Animate Dead with cantrips, I want to know if there are any other spells out there that could effective as well.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default Re: What is the Best Spell to Fell Animate?

Magic Missile at higher levels can hit 5 separate targets for a negative level each; you can't stack all 5 on one target, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deth Muncher View Post
    Did they eat a bowl of Jello menacingly at it? I feel that would give a hefty Intimidate bonus versus GCubes. "OHAI LOOK MR. JELLY CUBE, I EAT YOUR SMALL COUSINS FOR DELICIOUS SNACKS. OM NOM GELATIN."
    How ELSE would defeat a Gelatinous cube

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Low level with few tricks, Kelegor's grave mist or power word pain.

With tricks
    Snowcasted, Fell frost, Arcane mark heightened to whatever level you can squeeze it into. Permanent 2 cold damage per spell level per round for 1 month with no save which will animate whatever you threw it on. and they thought you were insane for taking arcane thesis for a cantrip.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

I like to put Fell Animate on a cause light wounds at the end of a battle for anybody who's already at negative hp. It's almost guaranteed to finish them off and trigger the animation effect provided you have a CL of 5.

Quote Originally Posted by Moogleking View Post
    Magic Missile at higher levels can hit 5 separate targets for a negative level each; you can't stack all 5 on one target, though.
    We're discussing Fell Animate, not Fell Drain.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

"What you must learn is that these rules are no different than the rules of a computer system. Some of them can be bent. Others can be broken." - Morpheus, The Matrix

Quote Originally Posted by Krellen View Post
    Remember, Evil isn't "selfish". It's Evil. "Look out for number one" is a Neutral attitude. Evil looks out for number one while crushing number two.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

I also like Kelgore's Grave Mist.

Something to keep in mind is that the corpsecrafter and destructive retribution line of feats only work on creatures animated with a Necromancy spell, meaning things like Acid Splash and the like won't cut it.
    Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus: Shadowcaster Handbook
    Archer Build Compendium

Iron Chef Awards!
    Spoiler
    Show

GOLD MEDALS
    IC XLIX: Babalon, Queen of Bones
    IC XLV: Dead Mists
    IC XL: Lycus Blackbeak
    IC XXXIX: AM-1468
    IC XXXV: Parsifal the Fool
    IC XXX: Jal Filius

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Malroth View Post
    Low level with few tricks, Kelegor's grave mist or power word pain.

With tricks
    Snowcasted, Fell frost, Arcane mark heightened to whatever level you can squeeze it into. Permanent 2 cold damage per spell level per round for 1 month with no save which will animate whatever you threw it on. and they thought you were insane for taking arcane thesis for a cantrip.
    Fell Frost? Do you mean flash frost spell? Flash Frost only works once it doesn't apply every single time you deal damage. Just live fell drain doesn't deal 1 negative level a round for damage over time spells.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazuki View Post
    ...Silva, you are a scary person.
    Awesome Avatar by Derjuin

My Homebrew: Here
    The Necromantic Codex: A collection of necromancy classes, items and monsters.

7. - Top - End - #7

ClericGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Silva Stormrage View Post
    Fell Frost? Do you mean flash frost spell? Flash Frost only works once it doesn't apply every single time you deal damage. Just live fell drain doesn't deal 1 negative level a round for damage over time spells.
    Additionally, Arcane Mark lacks an area entry and thus does not qualify for Flash Frost.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

BardGuy

Fell Drain deals a negative level whenever the opponent is dealt damage by that spell. It can only apply one negative level per round, but can apply negative levels to persisting effects, provided they continue to deal damage in following rounds.

So yes, Fell Drain + Kelgore's Grave Mist = one negative level per turn, assuming you are damaged by either cold or negative energy.

As far as Fell Animate, combining it with Fell Drain and a low damage wide area effect damaging spell can net you a village full of disposable minions pretty easily, whatever doesn't die from damage dies from the negative level.

At higher levels, it gets more troublesome to apply, unfortunately, as opponent hit points goes up more rapidly than your blastomancy's damage output.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Locate City.

*shifty eyes*
    Quotebox
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by hotel_papa View Post
    I maintain that until I see a movie trailer where Patrick Stewart introduces himself as Mordenkainen, there never was and never will be a D&D movie.
    Quote Originally Posted by dixieboy View Post
    I am unable to respond due to the awesomness of seducing a god, sorry
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalirren View Post
    The only person in the past two pages who has known what (s)he has been talking about is Heliomance.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ShneekeyTheLost View Post
    Fell Drain deals a negative level whenever the opponent is dealt damage by that spell. It can only apply one negative level per round, but can apply negative levels to persisting effects, provided they continue to deal damage in following rounds.

So yes, Fell Drain + Kelgore's Grave Mist = one negative level per turn, assuming you are damaged by either cold or negative energy.

As far as Fell Animate, combining it with Fell Drain and a low damage wide area effect damaging spell can net you a village full of disposable minions pretty easily, whatever doesn't die from damage dies from the negative level.

At higher levels, it gets more troublesome to apply, unfortunately, as opponent hit points goes up more rapidly than your blastomancy's damage output.
    http://dndtools.eu/feats/libris-mort...l-drain--1103/

Important Line: You can alter a spell that deals damage to foes so that any living creature that is dealt damage also gains a negative level.

Not every time it is dealt damage. Just any creature that is dealt damage gains a singular negative level. There is nothing in this feat that says it repeats.

And also as a point of curiosity, have you ever seen a DM rule that the enemies take a negative level every round? It seems that any caster could instantly kill any creature not immune to negative levels by simply casting a long duration dot and then fleeing. Apply extend to it and it kills anything not immune to negative levels or who can dispel it.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Heliomance View Post
    Locate City.

*shifty eyes*
    Correction: Locate City, with a caster level so high that it touches every section of the planet

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arcanist View Post
    Correction: Locate City, with a caster level so high that it touches every section of the planet
    Assuming a spherical planet, the definition of "circle" starts to get a little problematic once it becomes non-trivial w.r.t. the circumference of the planet. And even more so once it becomes greater than the circumference of the planet/
    Quotebox
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by hotel_papa View Post
    I maintain that until I see a movie trailer where Patrick Stewart introduces himself as Mordenkainen, there never was and never will be a D&D movie.
    Quote Originally Posted by dixieboy View Post
    I am unable to respond due to the awesomness of seducing a god, sorry
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalirren View Post
    The only person in the past two pages who has known what (s)he has been talking about is Heliomance.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

And also as a point of curiosity, have you ever seen a DM rule that the enemies take a negative level every round? It seems that any caster could instantly kill any creature not immune to negative levels by simply casting a long duration dot and then fleeing. Apply extend to it and it kills anything not immune to negative levels or who can dispel it.
    ... That's not precisely what I'd call "instant". Also, good luck running from e.g. a fiend with greater teleport, a dragon with 240' flight, or some kind of ranged enemy. If you get off a nice long-duration near-certain kill, cool, but it takes so long to trash things you might be dead first.

Of course, you might be right about RAW, although the usual interpretation I've seen is somewhere between that and the silliness of allowing negative levels to stack multiple times/round.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" Use of gray may indicate nitpicking Green is sincerity

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tuggyne View Post
    ... That's not precisely what I'd call "instant". Also, good luck running from e.g. a fiend with greater teleport, a dragon with 240' flight, or some kind of ranged enemy. If you get off a nice long-duration near-certain kill, cool, but it takes so long to trash things you might be dead first.

Of course, you might be right about RAW, although the usual interpretation I've seen is somewhere between that and the silliness of allowing negative levels to stack multiple times/round.
    Sorry by "Instantly" I meant "With no challenge". And its very easy to flee, Dimensional door or teleport, invisibility, resilient sphere.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

BardGuy

Sorry by "Instantly" I meant "With no challenge". And its very easy to flee, Dimensional door or teleport, invisibility, resilient sphere.
    Or you could simple one-round kill it and not bother in the first place.

Really, D&D doesn't lend itself to DoT tactics, because it just gives opponents time to do something to you. You've easily got the potential to wipe them out with your first attack, why bother pussyfooting around with waiting thirty something rounds for your target to die off?

By mid-levels, expect Invisibility to no longer be effective. Too many things start getting stuff like Scent, Lifesense, Blindsense, Blindsight, Tremorsense...

By higher levels, expect opponents to be able to easily keep up with you. Even if you start porting around, there's always things like Anticipate Teleport to keep things interesting.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

To get back on track, since people are now disgussing the wrong metamagic feat, then the best spell i have found for this is Blade of Pain and Fear (or whatever its called), its a relatively lowlevel spell, but by subduing your target with other spells then you can Coup the grace them with the blade, creating several large and nasty zombies though a singel casting.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

17. - Top - End - #17

There's a spell in libris mortis that kills anything with 9 or less hitpoints and gives you a boost to your strength and caster level.

That spell can be made persistent with divine metamagic.

Just cast it on yourself, presistent and with fell animate. Then, turn invisible and start flying over the local hospital, kindergarden and park. Watch the zombie apocalypse unfold and get demigodlike powers to fight of those pesky heroes that are bound to show up.

I always wanted to do that with my velsharoon cleric in one evil campaign. Sadly, we never got that far.
    Last edited by Mystral; 2012-10-13 at 07:28 AM.
    Thanks for Zefir for the custom avatar.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mystral View Post
    There's a spell in libris mortis that kills anything with 9 or less hitpoints and gives you a boost to your strength and caster level.

That spell can be made persistent with divine metamagic.

Just cast it on yourself, presistent and with fell animate. Then, turn invisible and start flying over the local hospital, kindergarden and park. Watch the zombie apocalypse unfold and get demigodlike powers to fight of those pesky heroes that are bound to show up.

I always wanted to do that with my velsharoon cleric in one evil campaign. Sadly, we never got that far.
    That's Greater Consumptive Field, and it was reprinted in SpC.

I once had a character who, as part of their buff routine, would gate in a gaggle of lemures and Consume them with Comsumptive Field to bring his CL up to ~70.
    On creating medieval thermobaric detonations:
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravens_cry View Post
    *strokes chin*
    Hmmm, I like the way you think.

19. - Top - End - #19

Sadly, that's not possible, as the caster level bonus caps out at 50% of your original CL. So, at Level 16, you could have a maximum caster level of 24.

The temporary hitpoints and strength bonus don't cap out, though. How about a strength of 200?
    Thanks for Zefir for the custom avatar.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

You could recast for a recursive 50% boost to CL

Cast 1: 24cl
    Cast 2: 36cl
    Profit!