Results 1 to 24 of 24
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2009

    Default Explain Share Spell

    According to the Druid's Share spell, if I cast a spell on myself and share it with my animal companion, it can't leave my side without losing the buff? Doesn't that restrict my buffed animal companion to being my mount? Unless there are many instantaneous duration spells that are good to share.

    PS what happened to the search function? I can't find it for this forum.

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    DruidGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2010

    Default Re: Explain Share Spell

    Quote Originally Posted by HMS Invincible View Post
    According to the Druid's Share spell, if I cast a spell on myself and share it with my animal companion, it can't leave my side without losing the buff? Doesn't that restrict my buffed animal companion to being my mount? Unless there are many instantaneous duration spells that are good to share.

    PS what happened to the search function? I can't find it for this forum.
    That's pretty much how it works. You can take Companion Spellbond feat from PHB 2 to extend the reach to 30 ft. Alternatively, you might be able to convince your DM to houserule that since you're both acting on same initiative count, you can actually move at once with your animal companion

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Kelb_Panthera's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2009

    Default Re: Explain Share Spell

    Quote Originally Posted by HMS Invincible View Post
    According to the Druid's Share spell, if I cast a spell on myself and share it with my animal companion, it can't leave my side without losing the buff? Doesn't that restrict my buffed animal companion to being my mount? Unless there are many instantaneous duration spells that are good to share.

    PS what happened to the search function? I can't find it for this forum.
    Share spell also has a clause that says that you can cast any spell with range: personal on you AC as a touch spell. Otherwise, yes, share-spell is only particularly useful for buffing yourself and a mount with a single casting.

    The search function has been temporarily removed due to a pending update to the forums. There may also be several points in the future where the forum is closed for a few hours at a time in preparation for said update. There's a thread in the board issues sub-forum wherin the mod named Rawhide explains everything in detail.
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

    Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign

    Avatar by Tiffanie Lirle

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Person_Man's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Explain Share Spell

    Keep in mind that even if you're not sharing buffs, Familiars/Companions/Special Mounts can also benefit from Instantaneous spells and/or hold the charge of any touch spell. Thus, even if your Companion is fighting on the other side of the battlefield, it can move to within 5 ft of your space if it wants to benefit from a healing spell. Or if it starts within 5 ft of you, you can cast a touch attack spell, and then the companion can move and deliver it across the battlefield.

    Also, instead of being your mount, your Familiar or whatnot can be perched on you and still benefit from buffs. It can basically be a shoulder cannon instead of a mount. (Though being a Mount adds more advantages).

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Kelb_Panthera's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2009

    Default Re: Explain Share Spell

    Person_man just reminded me of one of my favorite uses for this feature; Mental Pinnacle. It's a 6th level sorc/wiz spell that normally shuts off your casting while granting you a decent number of PP and a few powers to manifest with them. It's a poor trade for the wizard that actually casts it on himself, but if he casts it as a touch spell on his familiar......
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

    Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign

    Avatar by Tiffanie Lirle

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2009

    Default Re: Explain Share Spell

    Dang, I thought I could share an enlarge person or some other buff and make a flank sandwich. Alas, poor fleshraker, buffed flanking and mounts was not meant to be.

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    blazinghand's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Explain Share Spell

    Quote Originally Posted by HMS Invincible View Post
    Dang, I thought I could share an enlarge person or some other buff and make a flank sandwich. Alas, poor fleshraker, buffed flanking and mounts was not meant to be.
    I have a question about how Share Spell works. Is it possible to cast Enlarge Person onto your familiar only but not effecting yourself? Normally of course you can't since familiars are Magical Beasts, but you can share it onto the familiar if you cast it.
    Round 4: Eat Brains.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavinfoxx View Post
    Well at least your houserule skill check fumbles have houseruled fumble confirmations.
    The COre COliseum is a tactics-based arena for both 3.5e and 4e D&D. We run fights each week - so join today!
    Quickstart Guide
    Character Sheet

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    SolithKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Elsewhen
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Explain Share Spell

    It's also a very cost effective way of healing your animal companion. Cast a Heal spell on yourself for 150 hp and you can heal your animal companion for 150 hp too.

    The same applies for spells that remove status effects like Remove Disease, Neutralize Poison, Dispel Magic, Greater Dispel Magic, and Lesser Restoration to list a few from the PHB.

    If you want a few listed from the Spell Compendium then try Panacea (which cures almost everything) and Rejuvenation Cocoon (which is awesome for 5th level since Heal is 7th for Druids).

    That's not to mention spells like the druid teleport, Master Earth, which would leave your companion behind completely as you teleport to the other side of the planet. If keep close to your companion you can both benefit from Stormrage and have fun shooting lightning bolts out of your eyes each round.

    Quote Originally Posted by blazinghand View Post
    I have a question about how Share Spell works. Is it possible to cast Enlarge Person onto your familiar only but not effecting yourself? Normally of course you can't since familiars are Magical Beasts, but you can share it onto the familiar if you cast it.
    Yes, you can choose to cast it only on your familiar and not yourself if you meet the prereqs for the situation. Unfortunately for you, nothing will happen.

    You can cast any spell on anything. However, that doesn't mean it will do anything. If you cast a spell a Mind-Affecting spell on a Vampire, its not going to do anything. If you cast a 'Humanoid Only' spell on an animal or magical beast, it will also not do anything.
    Last edited by HunterOfJello; 2012-10-13 at 05:56 AM.

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Ashtagon's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Hillvale, Isle of dawn
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Explain Share Spell

    Quote Originally Posted by HunterOfJello View Post
    Yes, you can choose to cast it only on your familiar and not yourself if you meet the prereqs for the situation. Unfortunately for you, nothing will happen.

    You can cast any spell on anything. However, that doesn't mean it will do anything. If you cast a spell a Mind-Affecting spell on a Vampire, its not going to do anything. If you cast a 'Humanoid Only' spell on an animal or magical beast, it will also not do anything.
    Actually, share spell specifically calls out this an an exception. The animal companion is considered to be either its actual creature type or it's owner's creature type, whichever is more favourable when the owner is casting a spell.
    Indigo is a much more appropriate colour for sarcasm, don't you think?
    Blue is strictly for emphasis.
    And grey is kind of like an aside to my main point.

    Avatar by The Succubus

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    blazinghand's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Explain Share Spell

    Quote Originally Posted by Ashtagon View Post
    Actually, share spell specifically calls out this an an exception. The animal companion is considered to be either its actual creature type or it's owner's creature type, whichever is more favourable when the owner is casting a spell.
    The specific thing I was thinking about would be casting Enlarge Person on my Tiny Hawk Familiar to make it Small, then casting Reduce Person on myself, a Small Halfling, to become Tiny, then riding it! Would this be possible?
    Round 4: Eat Brains.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavinfoxx View Post
    Well at least your houserule skill check fumbles have houseruled fumble confirmations.
    The COre COliseum is a tactics-based arena for both 3.5e and 4e D&D. We run fights each week - so join today!
    Quickstart Guide
    Character Sheet

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground
     
    TuggyNE's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Pondering turns of phrase
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Explain Share Spell

    Quote Originally Posted by blazinghand View Post
    The specific thing I was thinking about would be casting Enlarge Person on my Tiny Hawk Familiar to make it Small, then casting Reduce Person on myself, a Small Halfling, to become Tiny, then riding it! Would this be possible?
    I believe so.

    Along similar lines, I have a partially-outlined idea for a Faerie Knight: an elf psywar with both expansion and compression, who shrinks down to ride his enlarged psicrystal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

    Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in"Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid"Use of gray may indicate nitpickingGreen is sincerity

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2009

    Default Re: Explain Share Spell

    Hmmm, so as a general rule of thumb, if I can buff myself, or I can use the same spell to buff my animal companion. Or get 2x healing off one cast. Got it.

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Kobold

    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: Explain Share Spell

    Quote Originally Posted by blazinghand View Post
    The specific thing I was thinking about would be casting Enlarge Person on my Tiny Hawk Familiar to make it Small, then casting Reduce Person on myself, a Small Halfling, to become Tiny, then riding it! Would this be possible?
    But would it work? Doesn't Enlarge Person work only on humanoids?

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    blazinghand's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Explain Share Spell

    Quote Originally Posted by ahenobarbi View Post
    But would it work? Doesn't Enlarge Person work only on humanoids?
    Normally, it only works on humanoids, but familiars with share spells are funny.
    Round 4: Eat Brains.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavinfoxx View Post
    Well at least your houserule skill check fumbles have houseruled fumble confirmations.
    The COre COliseum is a tactics-based arena for both 3.5e and 4e D&D. We run fights each week - so join today!
    Quickstart Guide
    Character Sheet

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    eggs's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2012

    Default Re: Explain Share Spell

    Quote Originally Posted by ahenobarbi View Post
    But would it work?
    When talking about share spells, yes.

    EDIT:
    Or what blazinghand said.
    Last edited by eggs; 2012-10-13 at 03:46 PM.

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Blue Lantern's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Explain Share Spell

    Quote Originally Posted by eggs View Post
    When talking about share spells, yes.

    EDIT:
    Or what blazinghand said.
    I don't think it would, the rule says "A master and his familiar can share spells even if the spells normally do not affect creatures of the familiarís type (magical beast)."
    You can have the enlarge person affect the both the caster and the familiar you still can not target just the familiar with it.
    The clause about targeting the familiar only works on spell with range of personal.
    Last edited by Blue Lantern; 2012-10-13 at 04:14 PM.
    After years of disintoxication I'm back in the D&D tunnel

    "I donít understand God. I donít understand how He could see the way people treat one another, and not chalk up the whole human race as a bad idea. I guess Heís just bigger about it than I would be."
    Jim Butcher-Dresden Files, book 3

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Flumph

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Explain Share Spell

    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Lantern View Post
    I don't think it would, the rule says "A master and his familiar can share spells even if the spells normally do not affect creatures of the familiarís type (magical beast)."
    You can have the enlarge person affect the both the caster and the familiar you still can not target just the familiar with it.
    The clause about targeting the familiar only works on spell with range of personal.
    But you could cast it on both of you then dismiss it yourself and then cast reduce person. Problem solved.
    Away on vacation 19-23 March, posting will be minimal.

    Dumbledore is dead but had a horcrux so might still be alive to it being fake and him dead but not stopping her from using the having a horcrux on you letting you live from a killing curse.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Epileptic monkeys. Boxing gloves. Typewriters. That is all.

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    eggs's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2012

    Default Re: Explain Share Spell

    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Lantern View Post
    I don't think it would, the rule says "A master and his familiar can share spells even if the spells normally do not affect creatures of the familiarís type (magical beast)."
    You can have the enlarge person affect the both the caster and the familiar you still can not target just the familiar with it.
    The clause about targeting the familiar only works on spell with range of personal.
    You're right. I missed the complete context of the question.

    But if the caster just wants to ride his familiar, it's completely legit to cast a shared enlarge and two unshared reduces. It costs an extra action and either a spell slot or a 15-gp wand charge, but I'm assuming this isn't a combat trick in the first place.

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Blue Lantern's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Explain Share Spell

    Quote Originally Posted by eggs View Post
    You're right. I missed the complete context of the question.

    But if the caster just wants to ride his familiar, it's completely legit to cast a shared enlarge and two unshared reduces. It costs an extra action and either a spell slot or a 15-gp wand charge, but I'm assuming this isn't a combat trick in the first place.
    By RAW that also would not work: "Reduce person counters and dispels en- large person." So if you cast a reduce person on you after having used an enlarge person the spell is dispelled.

    Quote Originally Posted by DeusMortuusEst View Post
    But you could cast it on both of you then dismiss it yourself and then cast reduce person. Problem solved.
    I personally would not make that pass, you cast only one spell and the familiar is merely, to put it poetically, bathing in that light, if you dismiss the spell it should end the effect on the familiar too.
    Last edited by Blue Lantern; 2012-10-14 at 03:11 AM.
    After years of disintoxication I'm back in the D&D tunnel

    "I donít understand God. I donít understand how He could see the way people treat one another, and not chalk up the whole human race as a bad idea. I guess Heís just bigger about it than I would be."
    Jim Butcher-Dresden Files, book 3

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground
     
    TuggyNE's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Pondering turns of phrase
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Explain Share Spell

    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Lantern View Post
    I personally would not make that pass, you cast only one spell and the familiar is merely, to put it poetically, bathing in that light, if you dismiss the spell it should end the effect on the familiar too.
    I went looking for some rules support for either the "one dispel removes all instances from all targets" theory or the "one dispel removes spell effects from available targets only" theory, but I didn't actually find much, though I'd assumed the latter initially.

    To put it more clearly, you're essentially arguing that if someone casts let's say prayer on a group, and then someone targets one of the members and dispels it, it ends for the whole group. This might actually be the case, but I'd like to see some additional basis for it; it's not obvious common sense to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

    Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in"Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid"Use of gray may indicate nitpickingGreen is sincerity

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Blue Lantern's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Explain Share Spell

    Quote Originally Posted by tuggyne View Post
    To put it more clearly, you're essentially arguing that if someone casts let's say prayer on a group, and then someone targets one of the members and dispels it, it ends for the whole group. This might actually be the case, but I'd like to see some additional basis for it; it's not obvious common sense to me.
    That's not what I am saying, prayer specifically target multiple people, and if you dispel the effect on one does not automatically disrupt it on the others, but a shared spell is a different thing, as the name itself says you are sharing the effect of a single spell, imagine the spell is like an umbrella, you can either cover both you and the familiar under it or give it to the familiar, but the umbrella is just one, so if it is removed like from a dispelling, both gets wet.
    I also remember a faq on the subject, but for the life of me can not remember where, using mirror image as an example and it said that when a shared images gets hit it disappear from both the caster and the familiar group.
    After years of disintoxication I'm back in the D&D tunnel

    "I donít understand God. I donít understand how He could see the way people treat one another, and not chalk up the whole human race as a bad idea. I guess Heís just bigger about it than I would be."
    Jim Butcher-Dresden Files, book 3

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Yuki Akuma's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The Land of Angles
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Explain Share Spell

    Share Spells is a special ability that lets you target multiple people with one spell. I can't see why it should act at all differently from a spell that normally has two subjects.

    Also generally the FAQ pulls rulings out of thin air, often ones that aren't even supported by the actual text of the rules.
    Last edited by Yuki Akuma; 2012-10-14 at 06:01 AM.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

    Dreamer Pony is by Akrim.elf.
    Spoiler
    Show

    Baiyan, God of Joy, by GryffonDurime, while the C.U.T.E Scardycat and Dreamer are by Tomb Raven.

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Blue Lantern's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Explain Share Spell

    Except it says nowhere that Share Spells lets you target multiple people, it says that if the familiar is near enough he can gain the benefits from the spell you cast on yourself, and the fact that those benefits are lost if the familiar gets too far would says that my interpretation has some basis.
    That said i really don't want enter in an english grammar analysis on the wording of the ability and possible interpretation, especially cause english is not my first language, and everybody may do as he wishes.
    After years of disintoxication I'm back in the D&D tunnel

    "I donít understand God. I donít understand how He could see the way people treat one another, and not chalk up the whole human race as a bad idea. I guess Heís just bigger about it than I would be."
    Jim Butcher-Dresden Files, book 3

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Flumph

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Explain Share Spell

    Well, it's not so much about how English works as how spells work. Once the familiar is affected by a spell through share spell it is as if the spell would have been targeted at the familiar in the first place, except for the distance clause of course. There's nothing in the rules AFAIK that supports the idea that this is not the case.
    Away on vacation 19-23 March, posting will be minimal.

    Dumbledore is dead but had a horcrux so might still be alive to it being fake and him dead but not stopping her from using the having a horcrux on you letting you live from a killing curse.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Epileptic monkeys. Boxing gloves. Typewriters. That is all.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •