New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Tavien (4e) IC: Knowledge is Power

Vardin Wildlore, Ranger & Cleric of Ioun
    Vardin walked with the others, if not a little bit behind everyone. He was used to tailing people when he walked with them.....old habits and all. He took great care in paying attention to his surroundings, making note of every person they passed. Though much of his focus was on Mila.....for she intrigued him but he knew not why. He just couldn't shake the feeling that she was somehow more than what she seemed, for he had never met one of the short-lived races that had such mysticism about her.

Once they arrived at the West Road, Vadrin followed the group inside. He stood behind the group, still, leaned against a wall, cloak and hood still over his head from when it was keeping the rain off him, and listened to the dwarf woman weave a beautiful melody from her clarinet. After Mila's embrace of Durhild and his introduction, Vardin nods to the dwarf maiden and smiles. "I have heard tales of your fiery spirit, Durhild, and I am glad to hear the rumors are true. Your music says much about you, to those that know what to listen for. As Mila said, I am Vardin....though I am not from town, but more the wrong side of the forest." With that he slips into a seat near the table, holding up his hand and flagging down a barmaid to order a mead.
    My Extended Signature, Check it out!

DMing:

Amazing Irish Avatar by Savannah

My own 5e Bard Subclass
    Made by the awesome Wartex1!

LGBTA+ Ally

2. - Top - End - #32
    Barbarian in the Playground

Erano sits at the table opposite the spunky dwarven lass, brushing his wet white locks away from his face. Pleasure meeting you, Miss. Lauciian had much to say about you, and most of it good! he says with a smirk.

Waiting for the barmaid to arrive, he orders two beverages -- one for himself and one for their guest. This one's on me.

Erano's curiosity on past conversations having gotten the better of him, he begins: Rumor has it you know a lot of people in all places...both good and bad. You'll have to pardon me, but like Vardin, I'm a stranger in these lands. From what I understand, the Mouqollad Consortium was driven off a while back by the Magewrights. What were they both after, and why has the Consortium once again reared its head? Sounds to me like the Magewrights couldn't finish the job... he trails off as he glares at nothing in particular, subconsciously tensing his arms at the thought of combat.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Orc in the Playground

Durhild nods to each of the members as their introduced. "Ooh, from the woods up north, Vadrin? I suppose I should be grateful you're from the 'wrong side,' then. Fiery types don't mix well with proper forests." She winks cheekily.

"The pleasure is mine, Mr. Erano, though I prefer to say I have many friends. Whether they're reputable depends on company." When Erano mentions the Mouqollad Consortium, Durhild sips her drink and nods, "A fine example of my point, that one. For most they're risky company. Not by themselves, mind you; I've never had a bit of trouble with them myself--just that being friends with the Magewrights' enemies doesn't promote longevity. Never did figure out what the Magewrights have against them." She trails off at this point.

Durhild's face suddenly brightens, "Of course, from the sound of it, you would rather have the Magewrights than the Consortium for friends. What would you say if I told you I can get you both? I may know why the Consortium is here, and how to get them to leave and thank you at the same time. Everybody wins, especially you all." She nudges Mila and smiles coyly, "And you were wondering why I was so eager to see you."
    It's complicated.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Dwarf in the Playground

Taking the seat that Mila offered for her, Anara took her friends cue for an introduction before nodding slightly in the dwarf's direction. "It is very nice to be meeting you. I would not call the place of my home so 'mystical', though!"

Afterwards, the hunter remained more of a close observer in the interactions than an active participant. No withdrawn creature by nature, though, her expression at the very least seemed to reflect the energy of the moment. Her interest only seemed to intensify as it sounded as if things would begin to veer towards the discussion of money! It was too much not to butt in at that point.

"Please! Could you tell more?"

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

Vardin wore a small smile as he listened to the dwarf. He drank his mead and pulled out a pipe, using a small stick to light it off of a nearby candle. He sat and smoked his pipe and when the dwarf finished, heard what the shifter had said, blew a big smoke ring and softly said, "Tell me more.....", taking another long draw from his pipe.
    Last edited by Irish Musician; 2012-10-18 at 05:36 PM.

DMing:

My own 5e Bard Subclass

LGBTA+ Ally

6. - Top - End - #36
    Orc in the Playground

"Well..." Durhild pauses, as if suddenly unsure whether to proceed or not, then grins mischievously and continues. "The Consortium hasn't been as far gone from Shoalbreak as you might think. While they haven't done business publicly in the city for years, they have maintained an outpost within a few days march. Nothing big, of course, just a lookout to keep their people informed. Four days ago, however, things went sour."

Durhild leans in and lowers her voice, "A band of trolls attacked the outpost. A few of the Consortium members there managed to escape, but without proper supplies couldn't simply head for Rockfall. So now they're here, much to the chagrin of both sides."

With that, she sits back and speaks normally, "So the long and short of it is this: get in, clean house, report back. Everybody goes home happy. Magewrights keep their monopoly, my friends keep their heads, and you line your pockets nicely. Wages are a thousand gold plus whatever items you find while cleaning, with three hundred as an advance for expenses. Sound good?"
    Last edited by Sierim; 2012-10-18 at 12:07 AM.
    It's complicated.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

"My, my, full of surprises, aren't you? And here I thought you just sought some nice company for the evening." Mila leans back, examining Durhild. "Sure have a lot of money to spend on us." She isn't particularly interested in the money, but maybe it could turn out to be fun.

Spoiler
    Show
    Insight check to see if Durhild is hiding something (1d20+12)[26]

8. - Top - End - #38

Erano leans back in his chair, stroking his chin thoughtfully at Mila's words. Like Mila, I have a bit of hesitation. I can't speak for my friends here, but I certainly don't have a dog in this fight, so to speak. He leans over the table, and whispers, Hypothetically, what's stopping us from going after the Magewrights instead? Why insist on us "cleaning house" at the Consortium, when you and I both know that whatever resistance we run into will be met with violence? Hope your friends aren't home.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Orc in the Playground

Durhild looks confused, as well as a slightly offended, but then shakes her head smiles sheepishly. "Forgive me, I'm speaking too fast for anyone's good. You said you are new to town, and I spoke as if you knew the politics well. While you're welcome to go after the Magewrights if you like, the Consortium has no interest in a guild war, and I even less. If they did, I'd keep my distance, and encourage you do the same."

She slides in her seat, then sets her hands open on the table. "The Magewrights are a powerful group, much more powerful than the Mouqollad Consortium--at least in Shoalbreak. Currently there are three or four members of the Consortium in town; not enough to set up shop, and without means to quietly head back to Rockfall. Mind you, money alone won't get you out of town quietly. Spend a lot of money on merchants and there is bound to be talk. That's why they'd rather spend it on mercenaries." She turns to Mila, "You didn't really think I was just sitting on that kind of money, did you? I'm more of a "favors" gal."

"As for the risks going in, the only violence you can expect to meet at the outpost is trollish. If trolls were necromancers, you might expect undead humans and elves, but every trollish mage I've met was more interested in eating his kills than raising them. Beyond that, it was one of the Consortium members that asked me for help, and I took it upon myself to barter a deal Mila and her friends might be interested in. So you aren't fighting either guild, just making both happy. Could win you favors from both." She examines you all with a half smile, waiting for a response.

Mila
    Spoiler
    Show
    If Durhild is hiding anything, she doesn't show it. It appears she genuinely believes she's providing help to friends and friends of friends.

[Note: I make opposed rolls whether or not there's anything to be gained. Also, I wasn't thinking and made the roll off-site. In the future I'll roll here, but hide the modifier. Opposed roll itself was 15.]
    It's complicated.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

Vardin makes long draws off of his pipe while listening to Durhild. He makes all sorts of objects with his smoke rings, as well as multiple layers of rings within rings. For as long as he has lived, he has gotten good at the art of smoke rings. Once she is done, Vardin finishes his mead and speaks up, "Well, I for one have been bored as of late and it would do me some good to have a nice fight, esp with vile things such as trolls. Better stock up on torches everyone. Also, where do we get our payment once we have cleared out these trolls?" As a followup he asks Durhild, "Do the Magewrights know that these members are in town? If so, why haven't they taken them out thus far? I mean, they are in their city."

DMing:

My own 5e Bard Subclass

LGBTA+ Ally

11. - Top - End - #41
    Orc in the Playground

Durhild smiles and sips her drink again, "Same reason they haven't taken me out. The Consortium may be in Shoalbreak, but they're holed up on Brewery turf. And until the Consortium actually starts taking the Magewrights' business--which the Brewery won't allow on their grounds--they don't have means to demand them. Oh, and if anyone asks, I hired you to run the Consortium out of town. Looks better for both us."

Vardin
    Spoiler
    Show

As Durhild said, you recall trolls will eat just about anything, rats, horses, humans; simply stated, if it moves, and they can make it stop, they'll eat it. They also regenerate very quickly, even after their apparent deaths. Trolls are known to grow back even arms and legs, probably explaining their voracious appetites. Only fire or acid can kill a troll, and as such they avoid both whenever possible, going so far as to refuse to cook their food.
    It's complicated.

12. - Top - End - #42

Well, your explanation was thorough enough...like you said, it's strange enough that even the Consortium wins through our intervention. However, I don't take a job unt-

Stopping his sentence midway, he was briefly overwhelmed by images of trolls hacking away at giant spiders, ripping their legs off and feasting on the meat found inside. He was hit with another vision of himself, charging into battle, cleaving one troll across the belly, and splitting another in twain from shoulder to hip.

Catching himself on the table with both palms, he blinked a few times and gasped.

The Queen has never sent such an answer to me. Clearly these trolls pose a threat not only to the locals here, but in some twisted way known only to my Goddess, wiping them out will help strengthen her. Consider me signed up.
    Last edited by Great Dane; 2012-10-18 at 07:23 PM.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

"Just as I thought," Mila cheerfully answers to Durhild after her 'favor gal' mention. "I'm in, sounds like it will be exciting! With what's going on, simply asking would have done the trick for getting me involved, but I'll take the offer as well, since it's on the table. Drinks are on me once we're back and you're specifically invited, Durhild." A joyful evening well earned and spent with friends. Oh, the anticipation only sweetens the deal.

"Ready when you are, folks!" Lust for adventure is burning in her eyes, with a bold glitter to it.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

Vardin nods, putting out his pipe, "Let us be off, then. Hopefully our quiet Cleric will join us?" Vardin looks over to Helios, inquiring as to his decision, "Would love to bring some of the sun god's fire along with us, trolls hate fire. Speaking of, Durnhil, where is a good place to get some oil around here? Might come in handy where we are going."

Spoiler
    Show
    Before we leave, I would like to pick up some oil, we don't have to do a scene about it or anything. Just let me know how much it would be.

DMing:

My own 5e Bard Subclass

LGBTA+ Ally

15. - Top - End - #45
    Orc in the Playground

Durhild points across the market area to a group of merchant shops. "You can get oil over in the farmer's area, along with any lamps you might need for it. If you're wanting fire to burn the trolls, try the alchemist's tent by the olive merchant."

As she finishes cleaning her clarinet, Durhild stands, "Once you're prepared, I'll give you the map to the site, as well as details on the layout. But for now, I have other friends to attend to. Pipers must earn their pay, after all." With that, she returns to her bar stool and begins another song. The mood in the tavern quickly lightens again, and dancing soon follows.

Spoiler
    Show
    Oil (1lb flask): 1sp
    Alchemist's Acid/Fire: 20gp

I think I should tell you up front that oil won't work for burning trolls. Given the technology of the time, you're looking at various vegetable oils, in this case olive. You spill a lit lamp of olive oil and rather than starting a fire it will put out the flame. That's also the reason the olive merchant has his booth next to the alchemist. There's not a lot of risk for uncontrolled fires you might have with kerosene. So it's great for lamps, but crap for arson.
    Last edited by Sierim; 2012-10-19 at 01:33 PM.
    It's complicated.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ettin in the Playground

Helios quickly takes a seat, evidently eager to offload the considerable weight of his armour and many accoutrements, settling in with a resounding clatter. He has little to contribute to the conversation, this presumably down to an unfamiliarity with those gathered, preferring instead to listen in on the exchange as he intermittently samples some manner of drink from a polished steel flask. Whatever that happens to be, the templar seems to rather enjoy it, eyes closed, expression tensed and pensive like that of a revelling connoisseur. There is no doubt that many questions of his have been asked and answered with the various inclines and terse nodding of his head, leaving him bereft of words. Those who have paid the taciturn cleric heed may also note he appears somewhat distracted, as though concerned by an introspective matter completely divorced from present discussion.

When the last of the conversation winds up and Vardin has seen fit to consult with him, Helios seems to snap from a reverie nodding with abrupt haste, almost appearing embarrassed, as though caught asleep.

"Certainly. I can see nothing objectionable about eliminating a couple of murderous trolls; ghastly beasts, all too ready for violence and irrespective of law. I must caution you however, that the flames of Pelor do not scorch the flesh so much as they scour the soul; I have cause to doubt their efficacy against such foes."

17. - Top - End - #47
    Dwarf in the Playground

Anara seemed to be excited with the news that they were going to take this offer up - her eyes throughout the conversation having been darting between Mila's expression and the smoke rings that Vardin was continuously blowing. It was clear from her smile that the reward had been deemed more than acceptable for the task - at least with the difficulty that she assumed it held. "You will be most undisappointed, Durhild! Oh, this is wonderful news Mila. If we are as able to find the jobs as quickly as this one, the money will be saved up soon!"

Taking a momentary pause to pull herself up onto her feet, the ranger nodded at Vardin's wish to purchase oil. "I would too wish to go make purchase. If these creatures do not like fire, perhaps I will make a few more torch arrows."

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

"See you soon," Mila says to Durhild with a mischievous wink.

Mila rises to her feet as well. Anara's outburst brings an honest smile to her face, truly delighted to see her friend feel such happiness, making accepting the contract that much better. "Oh yes, we will get there soon. Count on it," Mila says confidently, encouraging her dear friend.

"Then let's do a little shopping. Shall we?" At the alchemist's, Mila buys herself two doses of Alchemist's Acid, since the others are mostly going with fire and she needs something that doesn't draw more attention to her. Other than that, she helps Anara look for what she needs, chatting lightly and making sure she gets a good deal.

Spoiler
    Show
    Just to be sure, can I apply the acid to my magic weapons, like just making a point or two of the damage acid rather than untyped?

19. - Top - End - #49

After enjoying the round of drinks with his new companions, Erano becomes reflective upon the vision he had minutes ago. I'd like to stop by the Raven Queen's church for a moment. I'll meet you all in the morning. Thank you for the drinks, Mila. And Durhild, we'll be back soon.

Excusing himself from the table, he ensures his fullblade is secure and exits the inn. Having found the Church of the Raven Queen the first day he arrived in Shoalbreak, it was not difficult to navigate the darkened streets to find the place of worship.

Walking in, he found himself pleased to see familiar faces, even at this hour. Erano nodded at Ulvein, the hermitlike old drow who seemed to meditate from sunup to sundown, often sitting in the same spot along the wall. And there was Drisiml, knocking around the thin layer of dirt which covered the floor with her favorite broom, more than likely tracked in by adventurers and townspeople much like himself. A few of the priests spoke quietly in a corner near the altar, which Erano now approached. It was a huge bronze statue, a beautiful depiction of a stunning woman with ravens perched on her shoulders and spiders at her feet. Kneeling, he offered a quick prayer: Queen, grant me the strength to seek out the heads of those you wish slain. My life is in your hands.
    Last edited by Great Dane; 2012-10-20 at 10:30 AM.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Orc in the Playground

*Two days later*

You arrive at the outpost after an uneventful journey. As Durhild informed you when presenting the map, it is off the western road perhaps by 50 yards after you pass the wayward giant (an odd rock formation). The door is set in a cliff facing north and away from the road.

The area is deathly quiet, with not so much as a cricket's chirping. Either the wildlife has quickly learned the lesson of trollish hunger, or the trolls took full advantage of its ignorance.

The entryway is marred with claw marks. Given the the size of the door, which appears no more than three feet wide and seven feet tall, the trolls would have struggled through initially. It seems they may have begun to widen the opening. The inner hallway is less narrow, but still not wide enough for a troll to fit comfortably, though the ceiling is high enough. Down the corridor, you see several everburning torches lining the hallway. It would seem the trolls have enough sense to not fear these and make use of them.

Once inside, you immediately notice something: the interior, while it clearly has a scent to it, smells of dirt and fungi, not the rot one might expect of a troll den. In addition, though there are many scratches along the floor and walls, there is no sign of bloodshed. In fact, beyond dirt footprints, there is practically nothing on the floor at all.
    It's complicated.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

Mila remains in good spirits all throughout the journey, chatting with her friends, old and newfound, and playing songs that do not distract too much from their journey, but also possessing the awareness when to remain quiet. After all, constant sound diminishes the effect when a particular one matters and there is a musicality in silence, as well. The cheerful young woman volunteers to keep watch during both nights, dutifully guarding the group during her shifts in an almost motherly fashion and always staying close to Anara, so she is more comfortable due to always having a friend nearby.

Vardin only
    Spoiler
    Show
    ((OOC: I hope you don't mind this bit. Please ignore this and tell me if you do. Apologies in advance in that case.))

Slightly before the end of Mila's shift during the second night and the start of Vardin's, the elf happens to awake on his own. Looking over to Mila, sitting by Anara as usual, his blurred sight from sleep seems to fool him. He could swear that instead of the redhead, a tall, beautiful (voluptuous even) elven maiden with hair of the color of gold is sitting beside the sleeping shifter, smiling down at her before looking up to the moon. Though the next moment, his vision clears and he clearly recognized Mila who gets up to wake him. Seeing he already is awake, she greets him with a sweet, caring smile.

"Can't sleep?" she whispers. "It's your shift, though feel free to wake me if you feel too tired." Giving him a friendly little kiss on the cheek (she seems to have no issues to do that for those she considers friends), she adds "Good night." Silently, Mila walks back to her spot right beside Anara and goes to sleep, looking content and at peace throughout the rest of the night.

Anara only
    Spoiler
    Show
    During the nights, Anara once sees Laine in her tall, beautiful (voluptuous even), gold-blonde elven form, called Selena. The others are sleeping or turned away during meditation at the time and it is only fleeting moment. Anara has come to know Selena as a gentle, caring woman, almost always having this certain serenity to her and having a knack for helping Anara relax and let her sorrows rest for a while. Noticing Anara awakening, Selena gives her a beautiful, comforting smile before becoming Mila again and heading to rest herself with a quiet yawn.

Inside the outpost, Mila's weapons have already silently been drawn, a slender, beautifully crafted rapier in one hand and an accompanying dagger in the other, completing the image of the adventurous fencer. "Trolls with table manners. That is definitely a first," she comments quietly at the lack of guts and blood. Those everburning torches would surely also fetch a lot of gold or help save a lot of people a lot of money. "Want me to go ahead and look for traps and other dangers? You never know." she asks the others, confident in her skills and content with either decision.

22. - Top - End - #52

Given his proximity to the front of the group, Erano quietly agrees with Mila. I'll search too, pointing anything unusual out. Your fingers are probably more dexterous than mine, however.

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception near the entryway and as we walk down the first main hall: (1d20+16)[35]

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

Mila nods to Erano. "I won't say no to a set of sharp elven eyes and ears helping me out." She briefly turns to Anara, flashing a smile and a nod to tell her she will be back soon and moves down the corridor with Erano. The redhead keeps the profile of her body relatively small so she doesn't block Anara's view and line of fire, just in case, though the two harmonize in fights so well that coordination is child's play for them at this point.

Spoiler
    Show
    Another reminder that Laine is still being outclassed by most others in terms of actual stealth and only barely has an advantage in thievery. xD

Stealth (1d20+13)[20]
    Perception (looking for traps, listening for sounds) (1d20+10)[26]

24. - Top - End - #54

Spoiler
    Show
    Erano's stealth roll: (1d20+16)[31]...

He's got a pretty high dex...and RP wise, let's just say a bounty hunter for his goddess should be able to sneak around. :P

25. - Top - End - #55
    Orc in the Playground

Mila and Erano
    Spoiler
    Show
    While Durhild did not mention any traps, and there are no signs to the contrary, you notice several places along the floor where the walls are missing stones, creating mouse sized holes. In addition, you see scratch marks and dust on the floor next to these holes that looks like crushed granite.

Erano
    Spoiler
    Show
    You also notice tiny claw marks on the stones around the holes.
    It's complicated.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ettin in the Playground

When the party breaks for the night, Helios takes little exception to Mila and Vardin shoring up the night watch, evidently trusting in the two to guard over his person; or perhaps thankful he wasn't expected to weather the lonely vigil himself. In the interim, the templar busily sets about preparing his portion of the camp, digging out a firepit with practised speed, upon which he sets about preparing a simple dinner of meat stew. The pleasant aroma of boiled pork and herbal seasoning soon wafts across its vicinity to the ambient crackle of cooking fires.

In the dying light of the sun, he tends to the pitching of a worn but well maintained canvas tent; a veteran shelter that's clearly seen much use, patched in several areas, its colouration faded with prolonged weathering and exposure. Upon bidding his companions a restful sleep, the cleric disappears within until the following dawn.

Within the confines of the outpost, Helios appears more than willing to let others take the initiative, and settle into roles best suited to their talents. It is clear he has confidence in the judgment of his newfound allies, preferring their self-familiarity to his relative ignorance. After Mila and Erano have left to take point, he assumes a defensive position before the remainder, acting as a phalanx whilst conducting some observations of his own, scouring the hall for any hidden threats or peculiar anomalies.

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception: (1d20+14)[16]

27. - Top - End - #57
    Dwarf in the Playground

The venture outside of town (and subsequent shifting of the weather towards a drier state) seemed to have its way of perking up Anara's mood, not that it was very easy to tell from facial expressions alone. As customary for the hunters of her tribe, a thin cloth mask covered the shifter's nose and mouth as a warding against the spirits of the deceased from seeking vengeance upon her. The pair of cracked goggles that she had sought to repair rested firmly against her head, ready to be pulled down to help with her eyesight should the situation require it.

Alas, the traveling had come to an end all too soon - the party eventually coming upon the 'new' trolls den. "I wish there to be more space to move around. We will be trapped if the troll is to pin us in the hallway..."

Spoiler
    Show
    Going to roll for stealth / perception too so that we can keep quiet!
    Stealth: (1d20+16)[27]
    Perception: (1d20+13)[17]

28. - Top - End - #58

As Erano and Mila investigate the hallway, they come upon some holes found in the halls along with curious scratch marks in and around them. Looks like something would make its home within here... the drow quietly notes to the others. Just then, an idea crosses his mind and he c0cks a half-grin. Vardin, you purchased oil, right? Let's make sure the bugs...or rats...or whatever's living inside don't come back out.

Spoiler
    Show
    I suggest we pour liberal amounts of oil inside the scratched openings, remove one of the torches from the wall, and light the oil on fire. Hopefully it will stay lit for a while and serve as a deterrent for anything that would want to crawl out. After the holes are lit, we might have a bit more light available to us and if there are further holes that are revealed, we could barrier them as well.
    Last edited by Great Dane; 2012-10-22 at 01:27 PM.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

Vardin, after buying the things he needs, follows the rest of the group out towards the outpost. The group didn't see Vardin walking next to them most of the time, he usually chose, instead, to skirt around them as much as he could. He would walk with them from time to time, but mostly kept an eye out for any ambushes. He kept watch at night, when Mila wasn't graciously keeping watch, because he didn't need to sleep quite as much as the others, being an elf and a ranger.
    Mila Only:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Waking up one night, about to take watch, Vardin opened one groggy eye and looked around the camp as he was coming out of his sleep. He looked where Mila usually sat, and saw a beautiful elven woman sitting there. He was in awe for a moment and he wiped the sleep from his eyes. But when he lifted his body up and looked again, he saw Mila sitting there. He was very confused and when she came to wake him up and saw he was awake, gave him a peck on the cheek. All he could muster was a, "Uh huh", before she went and laid down. Vardin woke up a little more, crawled into a nearby tree, and pondered what he had seen.....if, in fact, he had see what he thought he saw.

Once they arrived to the outpost, Vardin seemed to get a little more serious. He pulled his hood a little farther down over his head and pulled out a torch. Lighting it, he stepped into the outpost, following the others. Using his keen sight, he too looked around for what might harm them.

Hearing the Drow's suggestion, Vardin thinks on it for a moment. "The problem is, that if we come back down this way, a nice little hallway full of fire will be waiting for us. And I don't want to scorch this cloak all to hell....I like it," he ends with a wink. "I will keep a look to our backs and make sure nothing come up from behind us. You all keep on foward, I will be just behind you." With that Vardin unhooks his axe from his belt, holding it in his right hand, with the torch in the left, keeping a sharp elven eye out for danger.

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception for when we first get in the outpost: (1d20+16)[11](27)
    Last edited by Irish Musician; 2012-10-22 at 03:21 PM.

DMing:

My own 5e Bard Subclass

LGBTA+ Ally

30. - Top - End - #60
    Orc in the Playground

Vardin
    Spoiler
    Show
    Beyond the silence around the area, you also notice that you can still (barely) make out human and elven footprints in the dirt. All of them move away from the outpost entrance, however, suggesting they are those of the Consortium group in Shoalbreak. In addition, the lack of troll footprints atop them implies the trolls have not left the outpost often, and did not make significant effort in chasing.
    It's complicated.