Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Default [3.5] What if everyone was a monk?

Imagine a setting where the standard phb core monk is the only character class . No other classes, npc classes, prestige classes, variant classes, bloodlines, race-as-class classes (except for monster hd in the MM), gestalt classes, or anything else I haven't thought of. And any MM monster that is capable of having a character class has at least one level in monk.

What would the world be like? Thoughts?
    When in doubt, disbelieve the illusion!

2. Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] What if everyone was a monk?

I suspect the guy who makes guardrails would be out of a job.

3. Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by eggs View Post
    I suspect the guy who makes guardrails would be out of a job.
    Don't forget the man who made helmets, he now is crying in a back alley somewhere.

4. Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

ClericGuy

The world would be either extremely wild or overrun with outsiders that advance by RHD, because the humanoid races would have died out a long time ago.

5. Top - End - #5

RedWizardGuy

Well, for one thing, everyone is lawful, meaning there would be very little theft or random acts of violence. There would still be plenty of organised crime though, since, you know, Evil monks.

The average "commoner" is now a monk, and therefore slightly stronger.

Some things are now impossible or much harder for humans to do: For example, no one has handle animal or ride anymore, but most ride and handle animal DC's are pretty low so these things won't make much difference (although guard dogs might be a bit rarer). The really big one is that without UMD, even the few magic items that turn up (the ones crafted by outsiders with casting ability) would be very hard to use.

You'd think that there wouldn't be any more armoursmithing, but if you're born with 10 wis then you might rather have plate armour than wis to AC.

Dragons and outsiders and possibly some other creatures would become very hard for adventurers to kill (partly because no magic to use against them, partly because Wis to AC when unarmoured on a monster that doesn't wear armour and has a high wisdom is devestating). However, dragons and monsters with breath weapons are sad because everyone has evasion and good reflex saves now.

The drop in life expectancy and healthcare is huge, since it goes from healing magic available to barely any magic and the Heal skill is cross class for everyone.

6. Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

I like the answers posted so far, having to do with the setting, but I'm giong to take a break from givnig RP-related answers and talk about mechanics (a little bit).

You specified 3.5 in the thread title, and from what I've seen of 3.5 monks, (at least as a Player Character) there aren't many ways people like to build them. It'd be difficult to make a rounded group, and it would take a lot of roleplay to get the characters to stand out from one another. (please take note that monks are not my strong suit. There's probably a bunch of fun monk builds, I just haven't heard of them.)

I know you didn't ask, but I recently started getting into Pathfinder, and the alternate character classes in the advanced player's handbook made me sort of want to make a campaign where all of the PCs would play monks. So many different ways to defaultly build them.

7. Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground

There would be vanishingly few magic items. Dragons and ... maybe rakshasas? ... would be the only things capable of crafting them naturally; otherwise it would need to be an Ancestral Relic, and that's only for weapons.
    Chosen of Harrekh is now available for the Kindle! Search Amazon to find it.
    The High Priestess's daughter has returned, but clouds are on the horizon.
    When death strikes in the Seat of Stars, will the Border hold?
    Elsabeth's path is set, for she is the Chosen of the Goddess;
    Chosen of Harrekh.

8. Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by laeZ1 View Post
    I like the answers posted so far, having to do with the setting, but I'm giong to take a break from givnig RP-related answers and talk about mechanics (a little bit).

You specified 3.5 in the thread title, and from what I've seen of 3.5 monks, (at least as a Player Character) there aren't many ways people like to build them. It'd be difficult to make a rounded group, and it would take a lot of roleplay to get the characters to stand out from one another. (please take note that monks are not my strong suit. There's probably a bunch of fun monk builds, I just haven't heard of them.)

I know you didn't ask, but I recently started getting into Pathfinder, and the alternate character classes in the advanced player's handbook made me sort of want to make a campaign where all of the PCs would play monks. So many different ways to defaultly build them.
    In 3.5 unless heavy ACF (Invisible fist,Dark Moon, variant combat styles, etc) and/or heavill multiclassed (Tashalastora monk, Divine Fist, etc) which are all prohibited by the OP, must monks build will be almost identical and on the weak side so I don't think it would be fun or interesting.

If you open Pathfinder and archetypes, things will get a little more interesting since there are some good ones like Quiggong or Hungry ghost, etc; but from what I've heard (I don't play PF) there are very few worthwhile Archetypes and some which are downright idiotic (Vow of Peace I am looking at you!!!)

Edit: There are some Viking Dwaves (Midgard perhaps?) who can craft most magic items, from armour, weapons, rings and perhaps wondrous items, they are found in Frostburn.
    Last edited by Dusk Eclipse; 2012-10-12 at 03:56 PM.
    Just call me Dusk

Iron Chef Trophy:
    Spoiler
    Show

9. Top - End - #9

Outsiders and Dragons would basically control everything.

Anything with some form of casting or psuedo-casting would rule the roost and the humanoid monk races would be powerless to stop them.

On an odd side note, apparently there would be a 99+% estate tax in all humanoid societies, given that every single humanoid is a monk and thus starts with barely any money.

10. Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Dragon 310 has a dozen or so monk variants, which might help diversify a party, not to mention a monk-based culture.

I'm fond of the Sleeping Tiger variant, which gives Improved Initiative and Weapon Finesse as the first two bonus feats. Seems like something could be done to build on that.

11. Top - End - #11

Basically magic is now dragon-only. They are Tier 2, everyone else Tier 5.

In fact... DragonBall setting?

12. Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Trumpet Archon Monk. Oops, I have to wait until epic to take Monk levels.
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    Regarding my Necrotic Apprentice trick:
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    This is brilliant.
    Regarding my Non-Epic Hidecarved Dragon:
    Quote Originally Posted by Amphetryon View Post
    Nicely done. Probably too cheesy for many tables, but I'd be inclined to allow it at mine, just for chutzpah.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Check out the Versatile Domain Generalist.

13. Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

As the Young Monk Master gazed upward at the Archwizard he looked down and whispered to himself... "If I die today, I wish to be reincarnated in another campaign setting..."

-The final moments of a Master Monk from the Particleverse

That is how I would react towards being a placed in such a campaign setting

14. Top - End - #14
    Colossus in the Playground

^: Particleverse?

Do creatures with SLAs and native casting still have it?

Because Dragons are now invincible, essentially, save for Ethergaunts.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2012-10-12 at 07:17 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    In Progress: The Totem Shaman (Totemist/Divine PrC) And Friends!
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

15. Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Need some monk freindly homebrew spirtuality feats to compensate for being a monk....
    Power restored for christmass. I'm back!

Spoiler
    Show
    dragonflycave.com/newpay.aspx][/url]

16. Top - End - #16

ElfPirate

Anything which requires spells to cure - ability drain, curses, petrification, and of course death itself - is now completely incurable save by begging some monster with casting ability or suitable SLAs.

The monk fighting styles are consistent with humanoids being peasants or slaves ruled by someone else who forbids them real weapons/armour. Dragons seem appropriate as a ruling class.

17. Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by avr View Post
    The monk fighting styles are consistent with humanoids being peasants or slaves ruled by someone else who forbids them real weapons/armour. Dragons seem appropriate as a ruling class.
    +1 now this is sounding more interesting.

18. Top - End - #18

Kobold

Since there are virtually no magic items everyone gets Vow of Purity. Or if they are evil max out knowledge(religion) and sacriice others to get boons.

19. Top - End - #19

NinjaGuy

People would still specialize because things have to get done.

So you would have Monks that take skills that are cross class skills simply because even though they normally wouldn't be considered good at something, they would be compared to anyone else.

You'd have to look at Feats available in books allowed and look for strange ways to differentiate one character from the next. Again, strange trees of feats would be found because the character could leverage some ability that no one else would normally take. In world where everyone is blind, the one eyed man is king.

I would look to add some prestige classes back in, just to give people reasons to differentiate and specialize themselves from one another.

My mechanically I worry that players would not enjoy their characters being so similar to other PC's. No one would feel like they had roles. Characters wouldn't feel individual.

20. Top - End - #20
    Colossus in the Playground

Pretty much any craftsman or skilled person would have to have gone through an apprenticeship with a few exceptions, IIRC.

Wild Cohort would probably be really popular, since it'd practically double every humanoid's survivability, making the society more closely resemble pokemon, possibly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    In Progress: The Totem Shaman (Totemist/Divine PrC) And Friends!
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

21. Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Monsters that gain natural spellcasting from RHD like Dragons, Driders, Archons, etc. would just rule everything.

Anything with spellcasting would live in nice, tall, and completely smooth towers that couldn't be scaled.

22. Top - End - #22

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Talionis View Post

My mechanically I worry that players would not enjoy their characters being so similar to other PC's. No one would feel like they had roles. Characters wouldn't feel individual.
    Actually think that if everyone was a monk, then people would have to differentiate their characters more, so we'd get a bunch of monk builds that we don't normally see. Like a strength based monk with the ACF that lets you do double damage as a full round action, a grapple monk, an archer monk, an int based skillmonky, and so on.

23. Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

As per the OP there are no variant classes, so you can only differentiate your characters by skills, feat and race.. which in case for monk doesn't do much, their few strengths are scattered around a lot of variants ACF, etc.
    Just call me Dusk

Iron Chef Trophy:
    Spoiler
    Show

24. Top - End - #24

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Randomguy View Post
    Actually think that if everyone was a monk, then people would have to differentiate their characters more, so we'd get a bunch of monk builds that we don't normally see. Like a strength based monk with the ACF that lets you do double damage as a full round action, a grapple monk, an archer monk, an int based skillmonky, and so on.
    I think we are saying the same thing. I was just saying its not easy with Monk. Players may need to be pushed to optimize the different rolls. Its much easier to specialize with say Wizard or Sorcerer.

I was just hoping that he would open up more ways to give the PC's more options. Prestige classes would be one way.

25. Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    ^: Particleverse?
    Just a tiny reference to the OP (Particle_Man).

26. Top - End - #26
    Halfling in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

One of the biggest changes is that commoners will no longer die to the common house cat.

27. Top - End - #27

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Sponson View Post
    One of the biggest changes is that commoners will no longer die to the common house cat.
    Yes, now that house cats have monk levels, they will be completely harmless
    Quote Originally Posted by SSGoW View Post
    95% of martial problems can be solved by Tome of Battle...

28. Top - End - #28

ClericGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    There would be vanishingly few magic items. Dragons and ... maybe rakshasas? ... would be the only things capable of crafting them naturally; otherwise it would need to be an Ancestral Relic, and that's only for weapons.
    You could manage to get a fair supply made through heritage feats and\or racial SLAs. Actually, mostly the and on this part-- Fiendish Heritage and Fey Heritage would seem the soundest way to meet the caster level requirements for the crafting feats.,

29. Top - End - #29
    Halfling in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by demigodus View Post
    Yes, now that house cats have monk levels, they will be completely harmless
    Well, it would be a lot fairer ;P

30. Top - End - #30
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by HunterOfJello View Post
    Monsters that gain natural spellcasting from RHD like Dragons, Driders, Archons, etc. would just rule everything.

Anything with spellcasting would live in nice, tall, and completely smooth towers that couldn't be scaled.
    Would they exist, though? All those monsters with natural spellcasting 'cast as an X-level Y" - if there are no such thing as Y, what happens? Do they instead get innate Monk levels equal to the spellcaster level they would have?
    Quote Originally Posted by GungHo, on Battletech
    The Atlas is also goofy but it has that whole "Stay Puft Marshmallow Man" menacing smile thing going for it. The guy who drew that one up was obviously taken to the Nutcracker when he was a child... and he was screaming in terror the entire time.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Enterti, Cogidubnus
    Glyphstone, out of all the playground I think you scare me the most...
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombimode
    Glyphstone, you are an evil person :D