New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Nintendo D20

1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Default Nintendo D20

Hello everyone,

I am in the midst of trying to get a Nintendo D20-esque campaign up and going in my town. From scouring the net and here of course, I have found documents for things like Metroid (though would love more for it), FF (of all sorts), LoZ, Mario, and even thinking of using a little bit of PTA. I was saddened that I couldn't find an actual document or info on Castlevania or Mega Man. Wondering if anyone knows of such things or any other game that should be included in such a category. Keep in mind this is all just for S&Gs. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance and happy gaming.

Taima

P.S.
    Things that can be downloaded or converted to a .pdf are most sought after, as I look through my gaming stuff a lot during breaks at work.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Nintendo D20

Most of Castlevania can be covered by standard D&D rules.

Mega Man isn't well-supported in D&D because the D20 Modern robot rules aren't really intended for player characters. There's also the question of continuity, since many sub-series of the Mega Man series have been drastic departures from the original games. I imagine that the Zero series is most fit to be ported to D20 rules.

Doing a generic Nintendo d20 is fairly tricky, mostly due the vast range of content to work with. You need to limit your scope to start with, so that you don't get overwhelmed.

Also, both of those IPs aren't owned by Nintendo. And you didn't mention Pokemon.

EDIT: One more thing. Build modular. Don't try to make a new system from the ground up. If you come up with a rule like magic points or limit breaks, make it a modular option for your system (like psionics does).
    Last edited by Thomar_of_Uointer; 2012-10-13 at 01:07 AM.
    I make games.

"...I worry that modern gaming is gradually shrinking the wide spectrum of gameplay mechanics into a single narrow red bar with "KILL" written on it sideways. Exploration, navigation, puzzles, platforming, all gradually shrinking away until only one thing remains, being taken by the hand from room to room, moving on only when nothing remains alive in each one." - Yhatzee Crosshaw

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thomar_of_Uointer View Post
    And you didn't mention Pokemon.
    PTA is Pokemon Tabletop Adventures.
    Spoiler: Old Avatar by Aruius
    Show
    http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q56/Zeritho/Koboldbard.png

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Megaman and Castlevania are not Nintendo IP's, that is true, but most of their popularity is based on the early games on the NES. People have more fond memories of Megaman 2, 3 or X and less of later games like Megaman ZX(A) (still Nintendo, I know) or the blasphemous excuse of a Megaman in Street Fighter X Tekken. Same goes of Castlevania, people like Castlevania 1-4 more that Lords of Shadow.

Going back on topic, I have a 2 part Megaman X RPG based on the Starwars d20 rules. It's already quite old and made in Word files, so it might be a bit buggy. Here is a link of it.

Im playing a character with a Samus Aran based class right now in a homebrew centered campaign. If he dies, I have a character with a Link based Class ready. Maybe you already found these? I also have a friend who played a Pokemon Trainer class, but i don't have a link for that one. We changed the name to 'Jewel Summoner' who uses crytals instead of hi-tech metal balls, but it was basically the same. Mostly to get rid of the Pokemon name, but also a little bit to fit the setting.

Try to put a bit of focus on one specific setting and build all the others around it. Bows might look nice next to laser guns, but it makes hardly any sense (unless of course.... aliens... I guess... or Smash Bros).
    Homebrew:
    The inFAMOUS Conduit base class. Wow I actually finished it...
    The Darksiders base class, based on the videogame with the same name.

I also draw some stuff here, Gamespectre on Deviantart

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

I'll just put this here.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

Oh, the OP edited his post to make it more clear what he wants.

Okay, here's stuff I've worked on that you may find helpful. For both of the large sourcebooks, I deeply regret choosing to rewrite large chunks of the D&D system. Make your rules modular, the strength of the D20 system is its modularity.

http://www.kobolds-keep.net/MD20Rules.pdf

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/da.vane...Sourcebook.zip

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...php?p=13715902
    Last edited by Thomar_of_Uointer; 2012-10-13 at 02:51 PM.
    I make games.

"...I worry that modern gaming is gradually shrinking the wide spectrum of gameplay mechanics into a single narrow red bar with "KILL" written on it sideways. Exploration, navigation, puzzles, platforming, all gradually shrinking away until only one thing remains, being taken by the hand from room to room, moving on only when nothing remains alive in each one." - Yhatzee Crosshaw

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Thanks for the links everyone. Just now getting back to this, having two jobs and being in the middle of moving sucks when trying to get recreational stuff done.

On a few counts, I am going more old-school for some of the genres. So they are more in the Nintendo era. I personally preferred the older castlevania's and mega man's to the newer ones. I have always been a retro gamer though. The overall setting I was thinking something along SSB lines...or even Warrior Orochi...something big that tore rifts and brought unlikely people closer together.

Stuff that was downloadable from the links, I have on my laptop now. Stuff that is still in forums, I am currently trying to sift through and Copy over to a word doc. Once again thanks for all your help and any further links are always appreciated.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Firbolg in the Playground

Seems like Legend would be an ideal d20 system for Nintendo-style games.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

If you want Metroid, I made an Incarnum-style version of it. You can also look at the sources used in this Nintendo-themed game.
    A Guide to Free D&D - A resource of free, official D&D resources on the web.
    Handbooks Index
    My Homebrew Compendium

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Once again, thanks everyone. Just wanted to put it here, but if anyone objects to me copying their posts to put into a word doc/.pdf so I can go through it, please let me know so I can delete the file. Don't want to step on toes here. Also if I do use your stuff in a homebrew or change it at all offline, I will credit you, even if no one else ever sees it. Thanks again.