New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Troll in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Re: Giovanni Chronicles

Luca

Luca became increasingly bored as the introductions proceeded. Claudius was kind enough to provide each guest's area of expertise, so it would be child's play to distract them. "Tell me a tale of your hunts!" or whatever it was they enjoyed. Avoid the leper and the madwoman. One would have to be insane to attend a party in that dress. A shame, given her beauty. Religious folk could be irksome, so Luca steeled himself to play a good Christian man. Lady Amisa wasn't his dining partner, and finally...

Oh no. What the devil was some Roma scoundrel doing here? Luca tried not to choke on his wine. Christ. Of all the noble manses in all the world, this "Gabrin" had to walk right into his con! Though, given the time frame, perhaps Luca had walked into his con. This was bad. This was very bad. A con man's greatest fear wasn't nobility, guards, or even men of the cloth. It was another con man, one who knew the tricks and could out them at any time. People tended to believe whoever they heard first, so Luca's denial of, "No, he's the con man!" would convince absolutely no one. He wondered whether Gabrin had been tasked by Giovanni for this purpose. If so, Luca might as well pack up now. It was unlikely that the Roma would garner so much attention if he intended to run a game on the Earl. All hope was not lost, though. Luca would just have to be less transparent in his schemes than usual. When Gabrin did his little bow, "Lord Golescu" chuckled and raised his glass slightly in the Roma's direction.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Andrei

This day keeps getting better and better!

Andrei had risen at his customary hour of about an hour and a half before dawn. His sleep had been fitful despite the comparatively lavish accomodations, and he had risen rather grudgingly to make his final preparations. Andrei had seen that most of the other guests had worn their best outfits for the ride. As a peasant on his first journey, Andrei's best clothes happened to be his only clothes, and they were still stained with long travel. So while the rest of the house slept, Andrei had gathered up a small basinet and bucket and had scrubbed first himself with water and a brush in the basinet, and then his clothes in the bucket.

Unfortunately, he hadn't had quite as much time as he'd wanted. The hearth in the common room was the only place to dry out his clothes, and he'd had only about an hour or so before the inn started waking up. Rather than parading through the common room in a blanket and all-togethers, he'd beaten a rather hasty retirement to his room, but it meant that his linens had started out soggy and cold, and were now itchy and starchy. No matter how long he sat by the fire, he couldn't seem to get warm, and no matter how he sat, he couldn't seem to get comfortable. Add in the sneaking suspicion about how that priest had used his cloak, and it was all he could do not to clamber out of the carriage and jump in the nearest river.

It hadn't helped that he'd seen several people speak about the priest this morning, and to say that their accounts differed from what he'd seen would be an understatement. Rather than look at the lady while in the carriage, he'd spent his time peering intently outside, which meant his view of those crucified bodies was exquisite. Between that and Lothar's actions, he'd very nearly gone home even knowing that this was his best chance to make a name for himself.

And now he found himself in a room with strangers, where apparently he had to make conversation. He'd done his best to match faces to words, but Giovanni apparently spoke no Romanian and the translator spoke quickly and with an accent that fouled his mouth's movements a bit. That being said, he was pretty sure that the woman in the breeches was a fellow huntsman. Andrei had never seen such a thing before himself, but he supposed it was possible. And in some of the old stories about Artemis and Atalanta and Nemesis, women were supposed to be great hunters. Not quite knowing how better to express himself, he unslung his unstrung bow and edged towards her. Once he managed to make eye contact, he pointed at her, then at the bow quizzically.

Spoiler
    Show

Really, did you expect anyone else to make the first faux pas?

3. - Top - End - #153
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Alenka's ears perked up with the introduction of Leopod.

'...a man whose business sense is second to none! Perhaps except my own...'

Well, that certainly sounded like the type of gentleman that Alenka had traveled across this dreary country to meet. She oversaw thousands of hectares, all of which were brimming with produce from livestock to silks, metals to minerals, and finding a way for her wares to directly enter the Mediterranean market would be a magnificent investment.

Taking a sip of the red win and savoring the gentle taste, Alenka gently moved towards Lord Valdemar. When it was polite to do so, she introduced herself with a gentle curtsy and the extension of her hand. Within the centre of her fingers was the only real depiction of flash that the Countess bared upon her: an elegant ring with several ruby indentures.

"Lord Valdemar!" she smiled, her blue eyes bright, "According to a knowledgeable man you are quite the merchant!"
    Last edited by BananaPhone; 2012-10-23 at 06:14 AM.
    "Of all the words by tongue and pen, by far the saddest are "I could have been...""

"The first rule of success is to have a vision. You see if you don’t have a vision of where you are going, if you don’t have a goal for where to go, you’ll drift around and never end up anywhere...can you imagine a majority of people don't know where they are going? I knew where I was going!” – Arnold Schwarzenegger

4. - Top - End - #154
    Ogre in the Playground

Benghi

Benghi tasted the wine carefully, still on edge, as he surveyed the room in detail. Chairs, tables, windows, ornaments, lighting, draperies and flags... he takes some time to reassure himself he is prepared against any surprises. He looks at any flags with some interest - while he is a fairly simple man, he has learnt to value what a flag in the distance tells.

By then, he notices with some displeasure that the peasant - whom he had somewhat ignored on the way - has approached that Lady Dimitra. He winces slightly, but it is understandable - most others wouldn't exactly be his sort anyway. The thing is, the Genoese does not consider himself the most understanding sort... but it would be a bit rude to butt in just now. He nears the table, listening in on the other conversations and showing polite (well, for his standards - basically not staring too much) interest at everyone here. He is curious what meals and drinks such a motley collection of nobles and foreigners would have - it is meant to be a feast, is it not? He'd expect that nobles would have already started.

Sadly, most of the nobles seem as disinterested in him as he could expect. He noticed that they didn't seem to care much for food, either. Curious... and speaking of curious, on top of actually being a Turk, Bajezit Al-Nasr's dark skin caught the Genoese's eye. He had not had much truck with Mohammedans on his travels, but there were several ports the Republic had in the East, and Turks and Arabs alike were far from unknown there. He had only seen a few, but this man had a shade darker skin than most. Intrigued, he looked at the man and nodded in greeting, speaking in what he hoped was palatable Turkish.

Spoiler
    Show
    Good evening to you, honored friend of our noble host. May I ask how your travels were?

((OOC: Benghi's going with Turkish and not Arabic because, well, he only knows Turkish - and I think Bajezid is a Turkic name))
    Last edited by The_Shaman; 2012-10-23 at 12:15 PM.
    Mr.Shizzles avatar by The Gremlin. Thanks!

5. - Top - End - #155
    Bugbear in the Playground

DrowGuy

Andrei

Lady Dimitra Looks confused, then throws her head back and laughs.
    "Oh, this one will be interesting!"
    "He is mine, honored huntress," The Turk speaks up from his seat, "I suggest you focus on your own guest."

Dimitra looks set to argue, but Claudius interrupts. "Well then, I can clearly see you all wish to get to know your dining partners, and they you. We've a bit of time before the main course is ready, so why not introduce yourself to your patrons?"

The guests all move towards one of you, slowly guiding you away from the others.

Spoiler
    Show
    Next post will be your individual encounters with the patrons. So don't think I've ignored your posts, they'll respond. Hopefully I'll have it up soon.
    Last edited by Dark Seeker; 2012-10-23 at 03:27 PM.

6. - Top - End - #156

DrowGuy

Benghi
    Spoiler
    Show
    Lord Al-Nasir returns your greeting, seeming impressed by your skill with his language.

Lady Dimitra approaches you, casting one final yearning look towards Andrei. She eyes you, looking curious.

"I've been told that you are a sailor. Good. I appreciate a strong, hearty man who enjoys the outdoors. The so called lure of civilization has never done anything for me. Nothing do I love more than galloping in the woods in full pursuit of my game. Do you enjoy hunting?'

Solland
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sire Wenceslas approaches you, a warm(if odd) smile on his face.

"Ah, Solland Rowe! Tales of your skill precede you. When I heard that you were being invited to this affair, I simply had to meet you. They tell me you are good with the piffero. Indulge an old man, would you? Play me a song. I wish to see if you deserve my... mentoring," he gazes somewhat lecherously at Solland.

Adam
    Spoiler
    Show
    Lord Casmir approaches you.

"Lord Brandusa, an honor to meet one such as yourself. I am told you are a good Lord, and a good Christian man. Faith is important to you, then?" he pauses. "But truthfully, don't you ever wonder if there is something more to the world then what the Scriptures say?"

Isabella
    Spoiler
    Show
    Lady Jadviga chuckles. "No harm done. Indeed, I admire your initiative. So many lack it, especially amongst our sex. We are raised from birth to view ourselves as little more then accessories for men, no more useful then their sword or shield. But you appear to have drive. Is that not how you rose from being a mere harlot into something of a merchant?" Jadviga teases.

"Tell me, do you consider yourself to be a leader? Do you possess the drive to mold the world to your liking?"

Alenka
    Spoiler
    Show
    Lord Valdemar looks amused by Alenka's description.

"Claudius is indeed knowledgeable," he smiles.
    "Countess Alenka Vasa. Your reputation precedes you. Perhaps even more then you'd like. I have been told that you are a most excellent ruler of your lands, more so then your late husband had been." He takes her arm and guides her to a dark corner of the hall, far away from the others.
    "Before we get down to business, I would know if you are a woman who possesses a sharp mind. I believe you do, but let us make sure.

Tell me, why does the sun rise
    ?'

Stefan

Spoiler
    Show
    Lord Mieczyslav approaches you.

"Doctor Sokolov. I am told you are skilled at unearthing the mysteries of the ki...human body. Let me say that I share something of the same pursuit." Mieczyslav waits for Stefan to reply, before asking an apparently unrelated question.

"Tell me doctor. How do you think your enemies should be treated?'

Andrei

Spoiler
    Show
    Dimitra smiles at you, but leaves to go speak with Benghi. Instead, you find yourself face to face with the Turk, Lord Bajazet Al-Nasir.

"Good evening. My name is Lord Bajazet Al-Nasir. What is yours?" When it becomes clear that Andrei cannot (vocally) answer, Lord Bajazet grows furious.

"What is this insult? Claudius sends me a dumb man to dine with?" He spits in Andrei's face. "Bah! You are useless to me!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Bajazet is speaking Romanian

Seth

Spoiler
    Show
    Lady Amisa drifts over to Seth, her body intimately close to his.
    "I was expecting young Lord Erwin, but you might yet prove more interesting," She all but purrs. "Come, walk with me."

She leads Seth into an elaborate sitting room, even more luxurious then the one they had happened into earlier. She lounges on velvet cushions, lazily purring him another glass of wine.

"Sit with me. I would talk with you. Forget the trivial matters the others discuss. I would know you better."

Luca

Spoiler
    Show
    Just as Luca feared, it is Gabrin who approaches him. The Roma man smiled widely and mischievously.

"Lord Augustin Golescu. I daresay you fit right in with the rest of the fine Lords and Ladies that are attending this feast. Come, walk with me."

Provided Luca does so, Gabrin leads him outside, to a large and spacious courtyard. Luca notices that Gabrin has taken out a throwing knife, and is idly tossing it up into the air over and over again, all while never looking at it.

"Lord Golescu, did you hear what Claudius-forgive me, Earl Giovanni- called all the other guests? I find it amusing they all received a title. Lord and Lady, Matron and Sire. All but me. A high born such as yourself would probably assume I desire one, but nothing can be farther from the truth. I look in amusement at all of the other guests, each pretending their pretty little titles and fancy clothes make them more important than they actually are," He twirls the knife in the air, before catching it once again.

"Tell me Lord Golescu. Do you think your fancy title makes you better then the lowly "Gypsy" Gabrin?
    "

7. - Top - End - #157
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Alenka raised a slender, dark brown eyebrow at Valdemars question, or riddle as it were.

The mention of the sun rising made the Countess think back to one of her most prized possessiosn: a collection of books. An eceltic assembly of writings from the European, Turkish and Islamic worlds, she'd had marvelous fun pouring over the volumes and thinking about the ideas presented within and whether she found any merit in them. In a way, it had been her substitute for religious texts - a practice only her elevated station allowed her to get away with.

"Why does the sun rise?" she repeated, her mischevious smirk still across her features. She considered the Lord in front of her; running her blue eyes up and down his immaculate garb and well-groomed features.

"If I may be as so bold," she uttered, thankful that she was away from the ears of the pious that might object to what she was about to say, "May I ask you a question? What if the sun doesn't rise, or fall - what if we're spinning like a top, and that rising and falling are just illusions of our perspective?"
    "Of all the words by tongue and pen, by far the saddest are "I could have been...""

"The first rule of success is to have a vision. You see if you don’t have a vision of where you are going, if you don’t have a goal for where to go, you’ll drift around and never end up anywhere...can you imagine a majority of people don't know where they are going? I knew where I was going!” – Arnold Schwarzenegger

8. - Top - End - #158
    Ettin in the Playground

Isabella

Smiling at the woman's easy manner, "I have found that is often superior to seek forgiveness then to request permission ... within limits. The world offers so much more in this way", she stretched an arm on the table in front of her both to leave the glass down and to allow the woman to establish contact if she desired holding the glass to allow for the ease to be maintained and to allow for her figure to be clearly seen all while not using any cues to indicate this was what she was doing, she would for now allow the woman to take the lead if she wished.

She considered the merchant comment, "Baring the nobility and the cloth, I suspect that most everyone of being a harlot or a thief, a harlot provides service to others in order to survive and thieve if possible, where a thief simple takes from others without offering recompense in order for the same" if she was honest she would factor the nobility and the cloth in there also but even if the intention was understood it could be off-putting to hear it, "as such" she smiled in innocence "my trade has not changed, I am merely more successful then most at it", she eyes twinkling as candlelight caught them.

"A leader?" she considered, this was clearly what the woman wanted however it was not a role that Isabella played, "no, I am no leader currently, but ..." she did not wish to correct the woman "that is not to say that I lack the ability to set the world to my liking, a stance taken, a word spoken, a look given ... all can lead to the fulfilment of ones wishes without the acting party needed to even remember where the thought for the deed originated and thereby free of blame by any who would be offended", she thought of the monk had she been better at her chosen role he may have felt guilt for his crime and not anger freeing her from all responsibility.

A truly sinful idea had however formed in her mind some months ago which she felt matched the woman's desires for leadership, "of course, one needs to think of the future and I see a great many woman within Venice alone that could do better then they are with some guidance, perhaps in the future it will be an opportunity to provide stability to a service and ensure protection ... but this is of course merely a thought and I would need church backing" which she felt she had "and the agreement of the nobility" which she felt she could get "and the agreement of the woman in question" which unfortunately would likely be the hardest part as independence was sought after by those that she would regard as the most able, she would likely need to purchase girls young and have them trained as her mother had in affect done with her ... and at that thought she noted how she would need to move on the plan while she was still young and had ready client lists available, she would make sure to do so once she was home, hopefully with Lady Jadviga's backing so as to potentially provide a future of untainted foreigners if the girls in Venice proved too content to act.
    Last edited by dancrilis; 2012-10-24 at 12:00 AM.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Troll in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Luca

It had taken a few minutes for the heady, calming effect of the wine to sink in, but Luca felt terribly relieved once it did. So what if Gabrin was a thief? He'd make an obvious target for the "fine" lords and ladies to monitor, and, if nothing else, the conversation would be interesting. He returned Gabrin's smile. "Why thank you. I did try to dress to standard. Glad to hear you think I succeeded." Seriously. With only a few weeks' prep time, Luca had to alter his borrowed suit as best he could. He tried to make note of the manse's layout as they walked, and his hands twitched as Gabrin drew a blade. Fortunately, the Roma idly tossed it. "Huh. Not bad. I should get one of those some time." Luca had trained in archery, not caring for a ranged weapon one had to lose to use.

Tearing his eyes from the knife, Luca contemplated the questions set before him. Gabrin was a man after his own heart. That much was obvious. If not for this pesky "alternate identity" business, they could have made fast friends... On a whim, Luca ditched his canned answers. Dmitri always said that, "the best lies contain an element of truth." Why not respond with that, if it would fit the character and improve his relationship with Gabrin? "The title isn't supposed to be the important part. It's the responsibilities that come of ruling a particular region, of making sure the people in it don't starve, that really matter. Somewhere along the way, words became more important than the ideals." Luca gave a genuinely mournful shrug. "And no, my title doesn't make me better than you. Luckier, maybe, but certainly not better."

Luca paused. "If I may ask, do you merely come to Giovanni's gatherings to take in the show, or do you have some other goal?" He hadn't missed Gabrin's reference to the Earl as Claudius, which indicated familiarity or perhaps disrespect.
    Last edited by JonRG; 2012-10-23 at 11:05 PM. Reason: Sneakiness is for later. >:P

10. - Top - End - #160

DrowGuy

Alenka

A small smile crosses Valdemar's face.

Spoiler
    Show
    "You are a clever woman. Our perspectives influence everything. Even if they were able, I don't imagine animals would look at humans and acknowledge their superiority. Maybe mankind is not superior. It has just lulled itself into a comfortable illusion.

"Now, why do birds sing?'

Isabella

Spoiler
    Show
    Jadviga seems pleased with Isabella's ambition.

"You have big plans. If given the chance, I do believe you would shake the world to its very core. I would gladly assist you in your endeavors, but I first need to see if you have what it takes to be a leader. Come."

She leads Isabella to another room. It seems to be her own personal chambers. The room is well furnished, the wealth apparent but understated. A young female servant about Theophana's age awaits in the room, looking at her mistress apprehensively.

"Kneel on the floor." Jadviga tells her curtly. The servant does so.

"Now remove your robe."

Hands shaking, the girl undresses. Lady Jadviga moves over to a table that holds many unusual tools, from scalpels to daggers. She picks up a whip, and offers it to Isabella.

"One of the foremost responsibilities of a leader is to guide our inferiors when they stray. This servant needs to be punished. Whip them," she calmly explains. The servant looks up at Isabelle, fear evident in her eyes.

Spoiler
    Show
    If Isabelle whips the servant, make a humanity role.

Luca

"
    Spoiler
    Show
    You think yourself equal to me, despite your position? That's rather surprising to hear. Most Lords will do anything to separate themselves from the common rabble. You are a most unusual noble, Lord Zeklos," There was a beat before Gabrin spoke again. "Excuse me, Lord Golescu."

The Roma's smile grew even wider. "I confess I've been having ajest at your expense. I know your little secret. Lothar selected all of the guests. He knew that the invitation fell into the wrong hands almost immediately. For all his other flaws, the man is a capable steward. You know, he was going to have you killed. He was going to tell the Earl, and you'd have ended up crucified like so many others who offend Claudius. But you impressed me. You seem a lot more... shall we say interesting then some dullard lord. Please don't disappoint me. I'd hate to have to tell the others."

Gabrin laughs at Luca's question. "I come to these affairs because I am invited, of course. What other agenda could one as lowly as I have? But what I'm really wondering is, why have you graced us with your presence this evening? What is it you hope to gain?" Gabrin remains casual, tossing his dagger up and down.
    Last edited by Dark Seeker; 2012-10-23 at 11:45 PM.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Ettin in the Playground

Isabella

"You honour me your excellency", she said as they stood, matching her movements to her current host so as not to appear hasty or delayed.

She was apprehensive about following the woman, while she seemed a rational and reasonable sort there were others in the room to connect with and it was often better not to be seen to operate overly favourably to one individual over others, she had hopes the feast would allow for a group discussion ... still she followed matching pace with the other woman, but avoided taking her arm as it was not offered.

The room was impressive one that showed class and taste, but she focused on the servant into her child rearing years but likely had no experience yet ... a display of leadership was the girl to be trained?

She took the whip gingerly as it was presented having suppressed a gasp at the weaponry shown, "I will admit that I have never used one", she gazed at the woman on the floor her look neutral and approached her to stand at her side "before punishment, I would need to know what has caused the need for it to be carried out, what error has she committed. A physical incentive I would hold to often be the least effective method of ensuring sound behaviour", she placed her hand on the woman's shoulder to achieve the aim of letting the servant know that she was in charge via the physical contact and that she was not unkind even if a punishment would be needed, and to let lady Jadviga know from the look she had on her face that she was not shirting the task - yet - but needed more information.

"To elaborate, if she has stolen she can be made to pay back the value plus extra - as could her family if she has such, mercy can be shown losses can be regained and addition made and the servants can know that they are making life for there personal family harder with there actions ensuring that there are punished by there own", she tried to see if the woman would tense she suspected that theft was most likely, "if she has seduced a noble man and you feared a bastard from the coupling which could damage an alliance that you had, well she would have proven herself a harlot and could be placed to work as such the potential bastard would then have many likely fathers and so no even half claim to disrupt the alliance", for this next section she choose to meet lady Jadviga's eyes "if her presence simply offends you, I would be happy to take her back to Venice where I believe she may be useful to the potential goals I mentioned earlier, and she would trouble you no more", she averted her eyes before offence could be given but after the initiative could be displayed and displayed clearly.

Holding the whip and allowing the strands to dangle before the eyes of the servant as a reminder that the option was ever present, "To mar her seems a waste", she smiled discreetly down at the woman, "and to strike on command without knowing the cause would not display leadership on my part".

There were reasons which could make the whip the best choice, but she wanted to hear them first.

Spoiler
    Show

Do you mean roll humanity or do you mean roll conscience for a humanity degradation test.
    Just making sure in case she deems it necessary to continue.
    Last edited by dancrilis; 2012-10-24 at 12:52 AM. Reason: minor spelling

12. - Top - End - #162

DrowGuy

Isabella

Spoiler
    Show
    Jadviga looks a bit annoyed at being pressed for more information, but elaborates.

"Does it matter? She is a servant. Leaders have a right to dispense justice to their servants for any reason. If you must know, she broke a plate while setting the table for the feast earlier this evening. The others noticed, and they know she serves me. She must be punished, lest I gain the reputation of being one who allows my servants to be sloppy in their duties. I find that the whip is the most effective teacher."

Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry, go ahead and make a conscience roll if you decide to whip her. Difficulty 6.
    Last edited by Dark Seeker; 2012-10-24 at 01:08 AM.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Troll in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Luca

A hot, sickly sensation crept over Luca. "Heknowsheknowsohgodohchristheknows." That damned steward had played him for a fool. "Lothar knew I was Golescu because he knew I wasn't supposed to be there... and here I thought he was part bloodhound..." Luca muttered vacantly. "I had a feeling this was too easy, but I just-" He'd let his anger get the better of him. That was his mistake. Luca was too busy fantasizing about revenge to think. He peeked up at Gabrin. "But seriously. Thank you for delaying my crucifixion. Much as I hate these clothes and these sorts of events, they're a fair sight better than that." He quirked an eyebrow and, when Gabrin made no protest, Luca peeled off his overcoat and threw it on a nearby bench. It impacted with a dull clunk. One could never have enough knives. "Theft, and spite. Not sure which was the bigger incentive, but I figure if Giovanni parties hard like the rumors say, then I'm one sober thief in a house full of wasted nobles. Take their stuff, take Giovanni's stuff, cause a little destruction where I can. He looks like an idiot, and I get a lot of money." Then Giovanni hunts the perpetrator down. Luca was fully aware of that. It didn't really bother him. "Why? All this to spite your damned father? He's not worth it."

"Oh, but he is. All this and more." Luca trembled with rage, then realized himself and coughed awkwardly. A new thought occurred to him. "How did you know my name, anyhow? I've made a pretty extensive effort to make sure nobles can't just look me up on a whim, but you found me like it was nothing."

Spoiler
    Show
    I suppose I should make a concerted effort to be as exciting as possible, as my life hangs in the balance here.

Manipulation + Subterfuge = 8

1 WP for the automatic success. (Luca likes to live!)

(8d10)[10][8][8][6][2][5][7][4](50)
    Last edited by JonRG; 2012-10-24 at 10:34 AM.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ettin in the Playground

Isabella

It did matter, quite a lot in fact, her opinion on Lady Jadviga diminished due to her not knowing this, but considering the reasoning a broken plate was nothing but a tarnished reputation could be deadly, she looked at the woman before her attempting to see if other scars from similar items were present or if she was unmarked, she also attempting to get a feel for the woman overall.
    Considering carefully there were only two ways to proceed and the whip was likely the kinder, before progressing she wished to be sure of the alternative before mentioning it.

Spoiler
    Show

Perception+Empathy: (5d10)[7][4][7][2][3](23)

To get an overall impression of the servant.

I am assuming that whip marks are obvious enough not to need a roll.
    Last edited by dancrilis; 2012-10-24 at 08:17 AM.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Seeker View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Benghi
    Lord Al-Nasir returns your greeting, seeming impressed by your skill with his language.

Lady Dimitra approaches you, casting one final yearning look towards Andrei. She eyes you, looking curious.

"I've been told that you are a sailor. Good. I appreciate a strong, hearty man who enjoys the outdoors. The so called lure of civilization has never done anything for me. Nothing do I love more than galloping in the woods in full pursuit of my game. Do you enjoy hunting?'

Each with their own guests, eh? Curious. It seemed that the Turk wanted the strange peasant for some reason. The Earl mentioned they had had theological disputes, but Benghi hadn't really heard anything from the man on the way, and the Genoese doubted him having much insight in religion. What else? Sodomy, perhaps (he was told the Turks often had such damnable lusts), but were there no younger, or better-looking, men than that? And he was supposedly to be the woman's companion. Not that he minded, but it was still something on his mind.

Benghi nods respectfully to the lady. "I am a simple man, madam, and the few hunting grounds exist outside my home are for better men to use. My forest is the sea - and I've been on it since my twelfth summer. It's got hunters and hunted, too, but they are all humans, so I imagine they wouldn't count. Well, there's also fish, and birds, but it's bad luck to hunt those, that's what they say." he shrugs, then smiles to himsel. He likes to think of his work at times, and it might get the woman to open up. "It's a hard life on her, the sea I mean - the glare of the sun, the storms, the privations of a journey - but there's no life I can imagine having that I'd like more. Have you been on a ship yourself?"
    Last edited by The_Shaman; 2012-10-24 at 02:55 AM.
    Mr.Shizzles avatar by The Gremlin. Thanks!

16. - Top - End - #166
    Titan in the Playground

Seth
    Seth was doubly glad lord Erwin had taken ill, first because this noble woman seemed to have less than virtuous designs and he was not sure Erwin would have been up to the task, and second because this Lady Amisa seemed to have less than virtuous designs and he was alone in a sitting room with her.

"Yes, the young Lord Erwin was very much looking forward to this event and was much saddened by his inability to attend," he replied.

Seth moved to sit near the lady Amisa and took a sip of the offered wine.

"What is it you wished to know of me, my lady?" he asked in the local Romanian tongue.
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

17. - Top - End - #167
    Halfling in the Playground

BlackDragon

Stefan bows slightly as Lord Mieczyslav approaches, flexing his fingers slightly in an attempt to ignore the thoughts running through his head. The doctor does his best to present himself as calm, collected but interested in his noble conversation partner, relaxing his tense muscles and folding one arm behind his back as the other hand gently but firmly keeps ahold of his wine. Stefan smiles pleasantly as Mieczyslav acknowledges his skills - the doctor was always happy when people recognised his work (except when they recognised his other work) - but frowns slightly as the lord claims to have a similar interest.

"You are too kind, my lord. Is your interest physical, or perhaps metaphysical?" Judging from his monk's garb it will be the latter.

Lord Mieczyslav's next question throws Stefan off-balance. Enemies? What a strange question to ask someone you've just met. Is he alluding to something I don't know about?

Stefan coughs and takes a sip of wine before responding. "I have made few enemies, my lord, so I think I lack the experience to answer your question fully. Nevertheless, if someone is truly your enemy then you should make every effort to thwart their ability to interfere with your business, and if possible disrupt their own."

18. - Top - End - #168
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Andrei

OOC:

Spoiler
    Show

I'm not quite sure whether I was drawn to a private room or simply to another chair in the great hall, but the Rule of Drama compels me to assume the latter. With that kind of response, either I'm going to make an ass of myself, or I'm going to make an ass of him.

Andrei kept his face a level of serene that bordered on disconnected, despite the vitriolic rage boiling up in him. In the span of roughly a minute, Andrei's day had gone from bad to worse to worst. He hadn't been able to understand the woman's words, but it was immediately clear from her laughter that his assumption that the guests were supposed to mingle was incorrect. While she had clearly not taken offense, the sailor he'd seen talking with the young noble whose smile never quite reached his eyes and the Turk had. He had barely had time to offer an apologetic shrug to the sailor before the Mussulman had pulled him to one side of the great hall and begun asking him questions. And then either his gesture of pinching the index finger and thumb of his right hand and moving them back and forth across his left had been ignored or not understood, right before the Moor had spat full in his face.

Oddly, his hands and face seemed to work completely independently from his mind. His mind began to run through a highlight reel of every insult he'd ever been paid in his life for his ears. The mockery of the other children when they thought he wasn't looking or couldn't understand. The jeers at the dance. The howls of laughter that had driven him from the village square when he'd thought to join in the archery contest in the Midsummer festival. And now this, something even the other villagers had never thought to do. Meanwhile, his hands unconcernedly grabbed a napkin, wiped his face, and then went seperate ways as one plucked an apple from a bowl on the table while the other shrugged off the quiver of arrows. Setting the apple down, he pulled his string from it's waterproof protection and began stringing it while without a care in the world as the Turk continued his tirade, now standing and trying to grab the attention of Giovanni.

Stringing the bow, he stood with casual ease and tapped the Turk on the shoulder. When the Turk looked at him, he thrust the bow and quiver into his hands and, also with casual grace, plucked the apple from the table and flicked it sidearm down the length of the great hall. Pointing first at the bow, and then at the apple, he stood back and crossed his arms casually.

Okay, Turk, let's see your best and see how it stacks up against mine.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Seeker View Post
    Alenka

A small smile crosses Valdemar's face.

Spoiler
    Show
    "You are a clever woman. Our perspectives influence everything. Even if they were able, I don't imagine animals would look at humans and acknowledge their superiority. Maybe mankind is not superior. It has just lulled itself into a comfortable illusion.

"Now, why do birds sing?'
    Alenka's smiled remained. She so enjoyed being complimented. She also enjoyed playful questions.

"Because lyrical quality of their calibre is too good to be kept to oneself!" she grinned.
    Last edited by BananaPhone; 2012-10-24 at 08:04 AM.

20. - Top - End - #170

DrowGuy

Luca

Spoiler
    Show
    "Oh Dove, Lothar spent months scouring the countryside for the guests he was going to invite to dinner. He all but spied on the guests. When it became apparent that Lord Golescu had not received his invitation to the ball, he quickly moved heaven and earth to find out who had. Through the use of bribes threats and other unique talents, we've been researching you for quite awhile.

"Ah. A thief, come to score what he thought would be an easy fortune. I admire your nerves. Giovanni is a harsh Lord. You'd have likely been caught, tortured, and eventually killed. As it stands, you are a mouse who has walked into a house of cats" he giggles.

Luca begins to feel rather hot, perhaps due to the stress.

Isabella

Spoiler
    Show
    The servant's back was covered in scars, many looking like they had been inflicted by a different tool. She had apparently been stabbed, cut, and burned. Lady Jadviga seemed like a harsh mistress. The girl seems resigned to her fate, clearly terrified but able to avoid excessive shaking.

"What are you waiting for? Whip her! A leader does not hesitate!" Jadviga demands, growing impatient.

Benghi

Spoiler
    Show
    Dimitra fondly smiles. "The woods have always been where I have been most comfortable. I've traveled on boat a few times. I've traveled above the sea on occasion," she remarks cryptically. "I respect a hunter regardless of what form they are called to pursue the hunt in." She looks around the hall in distaste.

"These narrow walls and cramped ceilings oppress me. What say you we climb to the roof and howl at the moon?" If Benghi follows her, she leads him to the expansive roof, which contains a breathtaking view of the surrounding wilderness.

Dimitra speaks the truth. She lets out a sharp howl.

Seth

Spoiler
    Show
    "I suppose I shall have to make my own entertainment without him." She arches her head, studying the man before her.
    "I want to know What you find good and worthwhile in life.""

Stefan

Spoiler
    Show
    "I would say both. Certainly it is at its core an effort to understand our state of being. But to do that one must examine the actual physical state. And there is something about cutting through bone and muscle tissue that I find most fascinating."

Mieczyslav seems to find Stefan's answer curious.

"And what is the best way to prevent them from harming you? If you have your enemy at your total mercy, what do you believe should be done with him?"

Andrei

Spoiler
    Show
    Lord Al-Nasir first looks questioning, then amused. He takes the bow from Andrei and turns and fires, fast as lightning. It is clear he is not used to the bow, but his lightning reflexes more than make up for it.

Spoiler
    Show
    (5d10)[6][2][9][3][10](30)

His arrow hits the apple and easily splits it in two. Bajazet turns and gently hands the bow back to Andrei, his face looking much more pleasant then before.

"Most impressive, young one. Please, excuse my rudeness. I have known of your condition from the start. My insults towards you were an attempt to prove if you were a sheep or a wolf. I have my answer," He clasps Andrei on the arm.

"But that's all everyone sees you as, isn't it? A deaf mute. They ignore your prowess, ignore that you are in fact the true master hunter in your family. And yet you let them. You sit back and let your elder sibling take all the credit. But your frustration with me proves you desire some of your own. I could assist you. I could give you a chance to win fame, glory, and most importantly, respect. Are you interested?"

Alenka

Spoiler
    Show
    Valdemar seems pleased Alenka is enjoying the questions.

"Let us move on to a harder question. What is life?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Make a Wits+ Stealth roll, diff 7. Succeed, and you notice that the shadows seem to almost be... pooling around your feet.
    Last edited by Dark Seeker; 2012-10-24 at 04:14 PM.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Ettin in the Playground

Isabella

She felt a twinge of sorrow for the girl at her feet, and a similar taste of anger at the woman in front of her, she suppressed a sign "Your methods have not worked with this one, and continuing to keep her in your employ will only lead to further embarrassments for you", she squeezed the girls shoulder to get her attention "if your mistress sets you lose I would be happy to have you as maid or a land worker in Venice - it will be hard work but not delicate", her words where kind, her value as a harlot was poor other then dock work and she did not wish a reputation for marked girls to begin with ... a quality over quantity approach may function better she figured.

She dropped into a low curtsy to Lady Jadviga, "I am sorry I have not lived up to your expectations ... and that there will be no business between us", there was a hint of finality to that last, she had no wish to associate with the woman in life or trade her methods seemed flawed in both.

She lay the whip on the table "I will rejoin the feast and leave you to tend your servant as you see fit", she curtseyed low again at the door "have a pleasant evening your excellency".

Not once throughout did she sound anything other then polite, nor did her expression or body language indicate anything untoward at any point.

Turning on her heel she choose to leave without being dismissed, after all the lord of the house had indicated they were equals tonight ... though she suspected that that would be rescinded shortly and that she had no chance of gathering patronage after having offended Lady Jadviga ... she would speak to Lord Giovanni to excuse herself she no longer wished to be here.

Spoiler
    Show

Not sure of a conscience roll would be needed for leaving the servant behind to face her mistresses wrath, but given Isabella's standing on humanity I am inclined to doubt it.

I am picturing Isabella being only a single step outside the door at this point rather then having actually returned to the hall, the last paragraph is intention rather then deed.

22. - Top - End - #172

DrowGuy

Isabella

Spoiler
    Show
    Isabella words cause Jadviga to fly into a rage.

"Then you are one of the sheep, and not a lion at all!" She locks eyes with the servant. "Rise!"

A calm seems to settle over the girl, and she rises to her feet. Lady Jadviga hands her the whip, before looking at Isabel.

"Kneel down on the floor! You will not be a leader until I have the compassion beaten out of you!

Despite knowing what is to come, Isabella feels an overpowering desire to kneel.

Spoiler
    Show
    Jadviga is attempting to Dominate Isabella. (5d10)[10][1][5][6][7](29) diff 6
    Last edited by Dark Seeker; 2012-10-24 at 05:21 PM.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Ettin in the Playground

Isabella

At the woman's outburst she looked back, when her eyes met her she felt compiled to obey and not due to the noble issuing a command this was something else, as her knees hit the ground she thought of the monk - You are entering into eternal domination if you go with him - she shock for all of a second while considering this, before trying to stand and finding she could not make herself do so, thinking fast she set her eyes to match the servant "I offered you a kindness and you betray me, hand me the whip", her arm shot out to take it from her hoping the girl was so used to commands that she would simple follow it.

Spoiler
    Show

Charisma+Leadership:(3D10)[9][5][5](19)
    Diff -2 for Enchanting voice.

As far as I know dominate 1 (from dark ages anyway) lasts a scene, so I figure that dominate two should also not simply me a case of kneel and immediately raise again to run away ... let me know if you agree or if you want a clear reason for dominate 1 over 2 at times (other then the rolling pool).

24. - Top - End - #174
    Halfling in the Playground

BlackDragon

Stefan nods understandingly before catching himself and looking slightly uncomfortable: admitting his own obsessive pursuits in the surgical field is apparently not something he wanted to do in the presence of a complete stranger. Nevertheless, the doctor finds himself opening up a little more than he would normally consider sensible, as it is very rare that he gets the chance to discuss the subject with such an apparently intelligent enthusiast.

"Yes..the human body is truly a remarkable thing, unlike anything else I have ever come across. And you are surely right, my lord, that physicality and spirituality are closely entwined. It has been my honour for years to get to ply my skills on the work of the divine Creator, and I never cease to be amazed at its complexity. Are you a doctor yourself, my lord?"

Mieczyslav's questions puzzle Stefan slightly, forcing him to think for a few moments before replying hesitantly.

"It would depend on the enemy. If the bad blood between us is over something trivial, then a simple reminder of my victory over them would be all that was required. If the enmity between us was greater then I would be quite justified in exacting whatever judgement I saw fit, considering that he would do the same in my position. Those that would directly harm me..." Stefan pauses, uncertain that his answer will be the one that Mieczyslav wants to hear. "Those that posed me direct harm would be rendered incapable of harming me, and others. If a beast is dangerous then it should be dealt with, whether through training, removing its claws or fangs, or by killing it. It would not be right for me to treat a dangerous enemy in any other way. But enemies who do not pose me such a threat should not be treated such."

25. - Top - End - #175
    Troll in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Luca

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: Your timing is uncanny. Just as I read that, I started feeling feverish. I'm onto you. ...

Unique talents? Gabrin spoke openly of torture, so... what else was there? More importantly, was Dmitri okay? The others could go hang, but he'd taken Luca in when he was a boy. If this idiotic plan got him hurt... "Lothar and Gabrin are gonna share a grave." Luca had to restrain himself from laughter. He couldn't even sneak into the party properly, but he was going to murder Giovanni's steward and one of the guests? "No one was hurt too badly, I hope?" Luca asked with a laugh. Keep it cool. It wouldn't do any good to sour Gabrin's mood.

"Here I thought I was a dove. Least they fly," he quipped. Luca loosened his collar, but without effect. How could a spring night like this be so damned hot? He deposited himself on the bench and took a few deep breaths.
    Last edited by JonRG; 2012-10-24 at 06:50 PM.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Alenka was enjoying this conversation: it was always a wonderful feeling to be the centre of someones attention! Though she had approached with a mind for sounding out possible mercantile benefits, she was enjoying this small distraction.

"A sum of experiences!" she beamed.

27. - Top - End - #177

DrowGuy

Isabella
    Spoiler
    Show

The girl hesitates for the briefest of seconds, but fear of her mistress wins over. She grips the whip tightly.

"Now you shall learn your lesson. Whip her!"

The servant moves to Isabella's back and begins hitting her. It is agonizing and seems to last forever. Jadviga grows more and more excited. She claps her hands in delight, shouting out directions.

"Yes! Hit her again! Now harder!"

If Isabella shows signs of her pain, Jadviga seems to take even more pleasure in it. If there is one small mercy, it is that at least Jadviga allowed her to retain her clothing.

Eventually, Isabella crumbles to the floor. Jadviga tells her servant to stop, kneeling down to address the beautiful young woman, speaking softly, almost tenderly.

"Let this be a lesson. You showed kindness to an inferior. She capitalized on your weakness, and attempted to gain favor with me as well as avoid her own punishment. A leader never shows compassion," she explains, rising again.

"Seven more blows," The sadistic noble pants.

When the deed is done, Jadviga has her servant help Isabella up. She looks at the bloodied woman with newfound interest.

"Yes, I shall enjoy dining with you," she smiles slightly and leaves the room. Without a word, the servant who previously beat Isabel begins to aid her in tending to her wounds.

Stefan

Spoiler
    Show
    Mieczyslav lets out a strange chuckle.

"I suppose you could call me one, in a sense."

He grows irritated as Stefan explains his view on the treatment of enemies.

"Bah! Don't you understand, an enemy you spare will feel no gratitude. All they will feel is humiliation, and a desire to avenge their pride. By letting them off easy you make them only a more committed enemy! No, the way to deal with your enemies is to ensure they can never act against you again. You kill them, and you do it in a way that others learn they do not wish to become your enemy." He turns abruptly and motions for Stefan to accompany him. "Follow me. I have something to show you."

Mieczyslav leads Stefan into the wine cellar. In the corner lies a chained and naked man, bruises covering his body. He looks up in horror as the pair approach.

"This is a spy for my enemies. Show me how you would deal with him." The Lord points to a tray of torture instruments, allowing Stefan to make his pick, if he so desires.

"Please, no! I am just a simple peasant!"

Luca

Spoiler
    Show
    "Oh no. Your acquaintances were forthcoming enough that Lothar did not see the need to torture any of them. He must have been in a good mood."

Gabrin notices Luca's discomfort. "My Dove, you look a little hot. Perhaps your damnation is starting earlier then I was expecting."

He continues to speak glibly, but Luca suddenly realizes that he in fact on fire. The fire had burst out of his chest, and was now spreading everywhere! Every part of his body was covered in greedy flames. He could feel his skin melting, feel clumps of his hair falling out!

Gabron stands by and watches, idly tossing his dagger back and forth.

Alenka

Spoiler
    Show
    "Valdemar's smile grows even wider. "A simple answer, but perhaps correct. "

"Is darkness more than the absence of light?

Spoiler
    Show
    Make a wits+stealth roll diff 6. A success indicates that Alenka notices the shadows are now enveloping her legs.
    Last edited by Dark Seeker; 2012-10-24 at 08:09 PM.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

"Oh," Alenka started, enjoying herself. "I read a proposal by a Muslim scholar on the matter of optics, that darkness was the natural state of things, and that light is the intruder. He lives in a very forgiving society to escape reprisals for his suggestion!"

ooc:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Whoops, forgot to do the first one.

(3d10)[9][1][1](11)

29. - Top - End - #179
    Titan in the Playground

Seth
    "Good food, good company," Seth replies, "satisfaction in a job well done."

The older man thinks for a bit.

"I think money exists to make our lives easier, but too much money and seeking any more makes life more difficult. I try to straddle the two, enough to make my life easier, and seeking any more would make life more complicated. I know perhaps I am naive, but I find that whether I have more money or less, unless the company I keep is equally rich, my days are as dull and dreary as any peasant's."
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

30. - Top - End - #180

DrowGuy

Alenka

Spoiler
    Show
    "A most fascinating view, and one I find most agreeable. Darkness excited first, even the Scriptures say so. It is the natural state of all things.

I am glad you are enjoying this so! Few truly consider such things. Let us turn to discussing shadows. Have you ever really considered yours? What is your shadow? Is it more than just a reflection of you? Can it not be considered to be a fundamental part of your being?'

Spoiler
    Show

Make wits+stealth diff 5. Succeed and Alenka catches on to the fact that the shadows are now enveloping her body up to her chest. I guess we're assuming she's really been thinking hard about these questions so far!

Seth

Spoiler
    Show
    "It seems as though you are loyal to your young Lord's family as well. You are a very committed servant," comments Amisa.

"What about compassion, kindness? Are these things important to you?"

As she speaks, a small black cat emerges from the shadows of the room, rubbing at her feet. She gently picks it up and begins to stroke it.
    Last edited by Dark Seeker; 2012-10-24 at 09:56 PM.