New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Mechwarrior Online Announced!

Free to play, no less!

PC Gamer article.

Game Website. Not a lot of media up yet, but a pretty extensive FAQ.

Personally, I'm kind of pumped. If it really is Free to Play, and doesn't devolve into Pay to Win, I might just get into this thing.
    BitPRR Characters: Entries Masaru, Chuck, Thomas, Turiel, and Masamune

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Mechwarrior Online Announced!

...Real-time? So I'll be on a planet fighting guys for a month, then have to take a break for another month while my JumpShip takes me to the next system?

It also means that like a year after release, since it's starting in 3050...

...We're screwed. Unless we're either one of the lucky ones or get a chance to join the Clans.
    Last edited by Mando Knight; 2011-11-01 at 12:26 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Oh hell yes. If this is anything like Mechwarrior 4 I can see myself playing this to death. By their own words it sounds like the only thing that'll be in the cash shop is items relating to looks though I wouldn't be surprised if that changes.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

MechWarrior more of a tactical sim and less of a shooter.
    Definitely will be following this in the future.
    Thanks for the link, mate!
    Master of Orion II: Let's Play! Of Klackons and Gnolams

"Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master." - Pravin Lal

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

Tactical Sim.

Let me just say that again, slowly.

Tactical.
    Sim.

Aaaaaaaaaah. You have no idea how much I missed being in a cockpit and out-thinking, out-manouvering, or out crazy-ing other players, be they NPC's or real people. Oh it's been a while. I look forward to this game, especially if it has more to it than a very limited bunch of environments to shoot each other in.

I'll have to brush up on my jump jet skills.

Of course, everyone is going to roll Horde Clan if they're available. I wonder what other factions might be around.
    Last edited by Karoht; 2011-11-01 at 03:41 PM.
    ~~Courage is not the lack of fear~~
    Quote Originally Posted by gooddragon1 View Post
    If the party wizard can't survive a supersonic dragon made of iron at epic levels it's his own fault really.
    "In soviet dungeon, aboleth farms you!"
    "Please consult your DM before administering Steve brand Aboleth Mucus.
    Ask your DM if Aboleth Mucus is right for you.
    Side effects include coughing, sneezing, and other flu like symptoms, cancer, breathing water like a fish, loss of dignity, loss of balance, loss of bowel and bladder control."

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I think what they mean by that is that while there'll still be the in-the-'Mech-headcapping-grunts-with-your-Gauss-Rifle action, more emphasis will be put on your leadership skills... MW4 has the potential for some of that if you are willing to have your fingers fly across the keyboard to boss your lances around (also makes most of the later missions easier and improves their survival rate), but this will also include more electronic/information warfare, so we may get ghost images, the need for Active Probes to improve sensor data, not necessarily knowing what the enemy is equipped with until you detect them using it...

I can see great potential for when we hit 3050, or when you're doing black ops against skunk works facilities...

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    I think what they mean by that is that while there'll still be the in-the-'Mech-headcapping-grunts-with-your-Gauss-Rifle action, more emphasis will be put on your leadership skills... MW4 has the potential for some of that if you are willing to have your fingers fly across the keyboard to boss your lances around (also makes most of the later missions easier and improves their survival rate), but this will also include more electronic/information warfare, so we may get ghost images, the need for Active Probes to improve sensor data, not necessarily knowing what the enemy is equipped with until you detect them using it...

I can see great potential for when we hit 3050, or when you're doing black ops against skunk works facilities...
    All of that sounds absolutely awesome.

Without too many spoilers, what happens in 3050?
    If the party wizard can't survive a supersonic dragon made of iron at epic levels it's his own fault really.
    Side effects include coughing, sneezing, and other flu like symptoms, cancer, breathing water like a fish, loss of dignity, loss of balance, loss of bowel and bladder control."

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

I was optimistic until I realized the developers works seem to only consist of: Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, a fishing game and work on the multiplayer of Duke Nukem Forever.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

... and there goes the single player Mech game that I really wanted. Darn.
    Spelt with a silent "Phwoar"

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Karoht View Post
    All of that sounds absolutely awesome.

Without too many spoilers, what happens in 3050?
    What happens in 3050 ?

The Clans happen in 3050.

And this time... we shall mercilessly condemn the spheroid freebirths to utterly ignominous defeat !

Star Colonel Wolfie McKenna
    Clan Snow Raven.

Ahem.

I really, really want that single player game. Hopefully that reboot will happen. Ok, it's 3025 timeline, but I'll take what I can get because the trailer that was released looks awesome.

"What's in this empty box ?"
    "Youth and talent is no match for age and treachery."
    Mechwarrior by Elder Tsofu

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

As much as I'd like an actual campaign I have a feeling Mechwarrior 5 turned into Mechwarrior Online. We'll have to wait and see I guess.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

I am so downloading this when it becomes available. We need to make a Gitp clan!
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Just give me a Hussar, and a NavSat to guide her by...

As far as Clans go... I attended the con where they were revealed. Gawd that sucked. When we realized they've got a range advantage on us, as well as an apparent immunity to overheating (remember, they were using DHS, and we'd only heard of heat sinks... shooting two LRM15's AND 2 PPC's? That's like... instant shut-down threat to us), we changed tactics.

A few of us decided to change tactics. We had a Firestarter start a bunch of fires to block LoS, which severely nerfed their range advantage, took to the heavy woods, and forced them to come to us, rather than the other way 'round.

Then? We dogpile'd them. Two marauders, a hunchback, and a hussar can focus-fire down a Madcat pretty quickly in medium range with only a +2 terrain modifier.

We dropped a Highlander on the Dashio. Got a lucky head-shot and took it down. Of course, he got taken out by the Madcat, seeing as how he was prone and all, but it was still an accomplishment.

Man, that was an insane fight. We still got whupped, don't get me wrong, but we made 'em pay for their victory... of course, the guys at the next table down were cussin' so loud it was echoing off the walls, so they probably didn't do so well.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Timberwolf View Post
    Ok, it's 3025 timeline, but I'll take what I can get because the trailer that was released looks awesome.
    It'll be ~3049, actually. They moved the date up. So we'll be on the precipice of DOOM riding astride Timber Wolves.
    Quote Originally Posted by userpay View Post
    As much as I'd like an actual campaign I have a feeling Mechwarrior 5 turned into Mechwarrior Online. We'll have to wait and see I guess.
    It kinda did. It was the MechWarrior reboot that was in prepping for a while but then dropped off the map a couple years ago while they were working on figuring out dozens of little details and whatnot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverraptor View Post
    I am so downloading this when it becomes available. We need to make a Gitp clan!
    *Insert witty Clan remark here*

...No, seriously, insert one there. I'm drawing blanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by ShneekeyTheLost View Post
    We dropped a Highlander on the Dashio. Got a lucky head-shot and took it down.
    ...Not familiar with how the play progressed through the years... were actual Highlander Burials common back then, or was it used just frequently enough in just the right situations that it's been immortalized in rulebooks since?

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

If memory serves, the reason Highlander Burials were 'common' or at least spoken of in parlance was because in Lvl1 tech (which was all the first editions of Battletech had to work with) the Highlander was pretty much the biggest thing with Jump Jets. Thus, the most damage on a Death From Above, since the tonnage factors into damage. And since that damage uses the Punch table (only attacking the arms, torsoes, and head, instead of the whole body) there was a much higher chance of outright killing a mech with a DFA when you've got 85 or 90 tonnes landing on you.

It was just a matter of 'How do I kill this little bugger before it gets behind us, bearing in mind that I dumped my ammo and my arms are gone?', I feel. And then it spiralled out from there.
    I am a:
    Lawful Good Human Wizard (4th Level)

Ability Scores:
    Strength- 14
    Dexterity- 16
    Constitution- 16
    Intelligence- 17
    Wisdom- 18
    Charisma- 11

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

...Not familiar with how the play progressed through the years... were actual Highlander Burials common back then, or was it used just frequently enough in just the right situations that it's been immortalized in rulebooks since?
    Depends on the situation...

DFA wasn't really all that common a tactic because it royally screwed you over, even if you pulled it off.

However, in this instance, it was valuable because we pretty much traded a Highlander who was already heavily damaged for a Daisho... so a 90 ton heavily damaged mech for a mostly undamaged 100 ton Clan mech... I'll take that trade-off any day.

Mind you, DFA was slightly more common in team play, where you weren't betting the outcome of the fight on a 1 in 6 (twice) chance, since your buddies can theoretically cover for you, but still...

It may not have been that common, but it's one of those things that you always remember. "Yea, there was that one team we went up against... damn Highlander dropped right on top of the Marauder..."
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

17. - Top - End - #17

I fail to see why the coming of the Clans is all that bad a thing. You know, for a game that involves things like war. Someone mind filling me on on why that's so terrible a thing?

18. - Top - End - #18

I fail to see why the coming of the Clans is all that bad a thing. You know, for a game that involves things like war. Someone mind filling me on on why that's so terrible a thing?
    Play Inner Sphere. Cry as Clan mechs stomp you into the ground. Bring a buddy. Cry as a 2v1 turns into the Clanner stomping you. Bring three or four buddies. Be the last man standing with everyone else in the scrapheap.

(Warden for Life)

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ShneekeyTheLost View Post
    It may not have been that common, but it's one of those things that you always remember. "Yea, there was that one team we went up against... damn Highlander dropped right on top of the Marauder..."
    My most memorable Battletech moment was failing an easy piloting skill check when I was trying to cross a river to get into better position. I did the console check, where my pilot had to avoid knocking his head into the dashboard and taking damage (a 3 or higher on 2D6), failed it with a 2. One bit of damage to the pilot, time to roll if I lose consciousness (again a 3 or higher on 2D6), failed again with a 2. I laughed so hard during the next turn when my mech was at the bottom of the river with a blacked out pilot.

My other memorable Battletech moment was rolling a 12 on the critical hit table for the torso... getting two engine hits and a gyro hit. Three engine hits would have shut down the mech, two gyro hits would have forced the mech prone... but nope, the enemy mech was mostly fine.

P.S. I mostly played 3050 rules, so Inner Sphere's technological disadvantage wasn't as massive. Double heat sinks, XL engines, more weapons!
    Last edited by Joran; 2011-11-01 at 10:35 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20

...We're screwed. Unless we're either one of the lucky ones or get a chance to join the Clans.
    Pfft, maybe you Steiner are screwed, Im gonna be hanging out nice and safe in Davion territory.
    Many thanks to Z-axis for the great avatar.

Quote Originally Posted by Saldre View Post
    you know whats worse than a regular Daemon-host? A Daemon-host with a Plasma Cannon.
    Quote Originally Posted by RandomLunatic
    "Eh. I do to 'Mechs what Simon does to American Idol contestants."

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

From the angle of "Shoot, the Fourth Succession War kinda wraps things up, we can't have a war game without wars" then, yes, the Clan Invasion is a good thing. From the angle of "Who the hell are these guys with the new 'Mechs and bleeding-edge tech, what's with the recent mass movements of one of the largest mercenary companies in the Sphere, and why did their leader just call a meeting with all the heads of the Successor States?" the Clan Invasion is very, very bad.

Quick primer on Why The Clans Are Scary:
    1.) In 3050, and even for decades afterward, the Clans have perfected several 'Mech technologies that the Sphere was just starting to recover: ton for ton, a 'Mech intelligently built with Clan tech will out muscle almost anything the Sphere has to offer at the beginning of 3050. And even more unfortunately for the Sphere, the Clans like to put their best designs out in the front lines so they can finish off their opponents quickly.
    2.) They came from freaking nowhere: Kerensky and his warriors disappeared centuries ago, and faded into myth to return at the Sphere's darkest hour, like so many mythical leaders before. And now, SURPRISE! They're here to kick your rear instead of save you.
    3.) Their culture got weird compared to the Sphere due to their warrior heritage.
    4.) Their eugenics program worked, and so those superior 'Mechs are piloted by warriors bred for superior reflexes.
    5.) And that's not even getting into their Elementals, power armored infantry that can shrug off anti-personnel fire and strike back. Depending on how their commander intends them to be used, a group of five Elementals can mow down dozens of conventional infantry with minimal casualties or alternatively pounce on enemy 'Mechs and execute them by tearing apart critical components... including the pilot.

22. - Top - End - #22

From the angle of "Shoot, the Fourth Succession War kinda wraps things up, we can't have a war game without wars" then, yes, the Clan Invasion is a good thing. From the angle of "Who the hell are these guys with the new 'Mechs and bleeding-edge tech, what's with the recent mass movements of one of the largest mercenary companies in the Sphere, and why did their leader just call a meeting with all the heads of the Successor States?" the Clan Invasion is very, very bad.

1.) In 3050, and even for decades afterward, the Clans have perfected several 'Mech technologies that the Sphere was just starting to recover: ton for ton, a 'Mech intelligently built with Clan tech will out muscle almost anything the Sphere has to offer at the beginning of 3050. And even more unfortunately for the Sphere, the Clans like to put their best designs out in the front lines so they can finish off their opponents quickly.
    2.) They came from freaking nowhere: Kerensky and his warriors disappeared centuries ago, and faded into myth to return at the Sphere's darkest hour, like so many mythical leaders before. And now, SURPRISE! They're here to kick your rear instead of save you.
    3.) Their culture got weird compared to the Sphere due to their warrior heritage.
    4.) Their eugenics program worked, and so those superior 'Mechs are piloted by warriors bred for superior reflexes.
    5.) And that's not even getting into their Elementals, power armored infantry that can shrug off anti-personnel fire and strike back. Depending on how their commander intends them to be used, a group of five Elementals can mow down dozens of conventional infantry with minimal casualties or alternatively pounce on enemy 'Mechs and execute them by tearing apart critical components... including the pilot.
    Plus your also missing they have the greatest 'randomly inserting different words into regular english' of all cultures in sci-fi. Freebirth, surrat, quiaff. Its great stuff

But yea, Clan invasion is going to go bad for everyone...mass casualties, enforcing strict caste based society on people used to freedom oh and the Smoke Jaguars and their occasional planetary bombardment to counter Inner Sphere resistance groups.

The most important thing about the Clan Invasion is that someday, maybe...we get to participate in Operation Bulldog and Operation Serpent. You want your raids? Form a part of the best and brightest of the reformed Star League Defence Force to exterminate the Smoke Jaguar military forces and destroy their ability to ever wage war again...

Geez....I cant wait for the clans to invade.

*Insert witty Clan remark here*

...No, seriously, insert one there. I'm drawing blanks.
    Ah...maybe... Clan Giant Playground? Thats the best I got...
    Last edited by king.com; 2011-11-02 at 02:55 AM.
    Many thanks to Z-axis for the great avatar.

Quote Originally Posted by Saldre View Post
    you know whats worse than a regular Daemon-host? A Daemon-host with a Plasma Cannon.
    Quote Originally Posted by RandomLunatic
    "Eh. I do to 'Mechs what Simon does to American Idol contestants."

23. - Top - End - #23

In that context, yes, it's a scary thing.
    In game? Woo hoo, badass enemies are more fun to fight than non-badass enemies. Sounds like it will be a fun game.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by king.com View Post
    Ah...maybe... Clan Giant Playground? Thats the best I got...
    Clan Playground: Because when your in mech this big the whole world becomes your playground.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

In game? Woo hoo, badass enemies are more fun to fight than non-badass enemies.
    We'll see how they handle the Invasion. And you should note that the Sphere Mechwarriors are fairly badass themselves (because if you're going to strap guys into five meter tall machines of death, you're going to want the best in there), so it won't be like going from fighting stormtroopers to Boba Fett, it'll be more like going from dueling your rival with revolvers to dueling your rival... while he's using an assault rifle. If you kill him, you might be able to get an assault rifle of your own if you grab decent salvage. Until then, however, you'd best hope that attrition or lucky shots get him before he gets you.

26. - Top - End - #26

We'll see how they handle the Invasion. And you should note that the Sphere Mechwarriors are fairly badass themselves (because if you're going to strap guys into five meter tall machines of death, you're going to want the best in there), so it won't be like going from fighting stormtroopers to Boba Fett, it'll be more like going from dueling your rival with revolvers to dueling your rival... while he's using an assault rifle. If you kill him, you might be able to get an assault rifle of your own if you grab decent salvage. Until then, however, you'd best hope that attrition or lucky shots get him before he gets you.
    Or, as I stated before. Out-smart, out-manouver, or out-crazy the other guy/s. The only problem is that the Clan are used to outsmarting and outmanouvering, and they outgun.
    I remember reading that when the Clans first showed up, their tactics were so radically different, they though the Clans were aliens. Just pointing that out.

So what is everyone's favorite weapons in Battletech/Mechwarrior? Pick one close range, one medium range, one long range.

My picks-
    Close: Melee or Machine Guns.
    Medium: Lasers
    Long: Autocannons. Banks of UAC2's I find to be highly effective and very very efficient. Not really a missile fan.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

I've never played Battletech, but as far as Mechwarrior goes:

Close: Pulse Lasers
    Medium: Pulse Lasers
    Long: Close the distance, then Pulse Lasers.

Also, in the FAQ:
    Q. Will I be able to fully customize my Mechs' load out, decals, paint job, and equipment?

A. You will be able to customize your load out, decals, paint job and equipment. But when it comes to armor, weapons and accessories please refer to the previous question and answer.
    Is it just me, or is this the only question in the entire FAQ that even mentions armor/equipment? The actual previous Q/A is about combined arms and vehicles.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2011-11-02 at 12:50 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post

Drat, you stole my anwser!

...though, I prefer ER (Clan) PPCs to Pulse lasers for long distances.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Kinslayer View Post
    Drat, you stole my anwser!

...though, I prefer ER (Clan) PPCs to Pulse lasers for long distances.
    Pulse lasers are terrifying weapons, especially when used close up, but my favorite primary guns are the Clan ER PPC and Gauss Rifle. Long-ranged headcappers means your opponents will begin to fear your might as you one-shot their best 'Mechs. Missiles are also fantastic for fire support and cleanup duty, and in MechWarrior as homing munitions.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground
    Protecting my Horde (yes, I mean that kind)

My favourite tactic in MW4 multiplay was always to use a Firefly with some stupid huge engine run in, tag the biggest mech I could find with a homing tracer, usually on the head, and then have my team fire one round of missles each at that guy. Gotta say, having nearly 100 missles hit a Daisho can be damn funny to watch.