New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Font of Inspiration

I have been playing around with a few different skill-monkey builds for a 3.5 campaign and am currently considering a Factotum. The feat Font of Inspiration is NOT available in our campaign however. I am wondering how significant this would prove to be.

Can anyone who has actual experience with a factotum in play - either first hand from playing one or second hand from being in a party with one - tell me whether you believe the skill points available to a standard factotum are sufficient for most campaigns?

Our party is solidly in the Tier 3-4 range and currently around 15th level.
    “No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style.” ― Steven Brust
    "In God we trust. All others we investigate." - United States Army Military Police Corps
    My thanks to Komodo for the excellent Avatar.
    Check out BSR's Improved Sorcerer project.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Goblin

Default Re: Font of Inspiration

Well, your combat ability will take a nosedive by mid levels factotums really rely on font of inspiration to not run out of stuff to do in combat after the first round.
    You can probably still manage if you make good use of its SLAs, but it'll be quite a bit trickier.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

Font of Inspiration is usually more important for multiclassed Factota than it is for single-classed ones. When you're single-classed, you get more natural Inspiration Points, and really, a straight Factotum does not really rely on Cunning Surge nearly as much as a multiclassed, or more significantly, a gestalt one does.

4. - Top - End - #4

Goblin

You are correct about cunning surge, but it does rely on cunning insight if it wants to be more effective than an expert or aristocrat in combat. Even 10 inspiration points really isn't very many if you're using them to boost attacks and damage. Again, you will largely be forced to rely on your more efficient inspiration->effect machines such as your SLAs in combat, I recommend focusing on them.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

Male

Quote Originally Posted by Answerer View Post
    Font of Inspiration is usually more important for multiclassed factotums than it is for single-classed ones. When you're single-classed, you get more natural Inspiration Points, and really, a straight Factotum does not really rely on Cunning Surge nearly as much as a multiclassed, or more significantly, a gestalt one does.
    FTFY.

Whether "factota" is correct for the standard usage of the word or not is irrelevant. Just like "maneouvre" is incorrect when referring to anything in ToB.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

Super-strict RAW, the Factotum's Sneak Attack doesn't stack with itself, so you can't use more than one IP per attack. Even if it does, you're right, you'll have a hard time getting enough IP to use a lot of it per attack.

But, of course, a combat-focused Factotum should have maxed Iaijutso Focus and EWP (Gnomish Quickrazor).

Quote Originally Posted by Rubik View Post
    FTFY.

Whether "factota" is correct for the standard usage of the word or not is irrelevant. Just like "maneouvre" is incorrect when referring to anything in ToB.
    I really, really don't care. As far as I'm concerned, you're honestly just being rude.

7. - Top - End - #7

Without Font, you have more feats to spend on other things. Like Martial Study/Stance, EWP: Spiked Chain, Hidden Talent, Knowledge Devotion, Imperious Command, Darkstalker...

Can you take Iajutsu Focus?
    Current homebrew in development: Wild Surge Rager

8. - Top - End - #8
    Banned

Male

Quote Originally Posted by Answerer View Post
    I really, really don't care. As far as I'm concerned, you're honestly just being rude.
    I edit novels on the side. As far as I'm concerned, I'm honestly just being helpful. Sorry if I came off as being rude.
    Last edited by Rubik; 2012-10-15 at 06:18 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Banned

It would be one thing if it were an actual error. A choice to use an equally-valid variant of a word, however, is my choice. I don't particularly care if it matches the variant used by Dungeonscape.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Saidoro View Post
    You are correct about cunning surge, but it does rely on cunning insight if it wants to be more effective than an expert or aristocrat in combat. Even 10 inspiration points really isn't very many if you're using them to boost attacks and damage. Again, you will largely be forced to rely on your more efficient inspiration->effect machines such as your SLAs in combat, I recommend focusing on them.
    Add on to that:

Tripping/Disarming.
    Iaijutsu Focus.
    UMD.
    Imperious Command.

Though it may not always mean putting out big numbers, there are plenty of ways a Factotum can be effective in combat without blowing all his Inspiration points in one go.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Any chance of iron heart surge - > immune to expending Inspiration points?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by animewatcha View Post
    Any chance of iron heart surge - > immune to expending Inspiration points?
    Vaguely worded as it is, there's always a chance that IHS will negate anything.

Realistically though, I wouldn't count on a DM ruling it that way.
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign

13. - Top - End - #13
    Firbolg in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

what DOES Imperious Command do, anyhow? I know the rest of them, but that one... What's the source?

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Acanous View Post
    what DOES Imperious Command do, anyhow? I know the rest of them, but that one... What's the source?
    It's from Drow of the Underdark. Take a look.
    Sup ho.

Avatar by the profilic kaptainkrutch.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime32 View Post
    Really, getting mad at a story for using tropes is about as sane as getting mad at the book it's printed in for using atoms.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    Vaguely worded as it is, there's always a chance that IHS will negate anything.

Realistically though, I wouldn't count on a DM ruling it that way.
    If it is worded that way then a Jade Phoenix can easily conquer the world by simply saying "I am out of Spell Slots" or "Wish is making me lose XP" or "I do not have a Divine Rank".
    Larloch, The Shadow King (w/ Ioun Stones) avatar by Iron Penguin

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I believe the best use of Cunning Surge is to use magical items (if using straight Factotum). You don't have enough SLAs to burn through them, but magic items are replaceable.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arcanist View Post
    If it is worded that way then a Jade Phoenix can easily conquer the world by simply saying "I am out of Spell Slots" or "Wish is making me lose XP" or "I do not have a Divine Rank".
    That's exactly my point. The maneuver really is so vague that if you could pitch those items as effects to which your character is subject at your DM convincingly enough, IHS could undo those things.

Of course, those examples are ludicrous, just like trying to phrase it so that you don't burn inspiration points is absurd. Technically, you could get that ruling and call it RAW, but that wouldn't make it right, and if you have that kind of skill in convincing people of things then you could probably be spending your time better than by playing D&D.

So like I said. Don't count on getting that ruling.
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign

18. - Top - End - #18
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    if you have that kind of skill in convincing people of things then you could probably be spending your time better than by playing D&D.
    Yeah, I don't think a whole lot of people are getting past that +50 Sense Motive modifier; real-life humans can't really get past level 5 or 6 so getting that kind of Bluff check without glibness seems highly unlikely.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

Currently running a non font Factotum at low levels getting great use of poisons.

If you craft it yourself Waterdeep city of splendors has an awesome knockout gas called Sleep Smoke that works out to 4gp a use.

Master poisoner feat from Drow of the underdark is real handy.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    You don't see the gnomes running around fighting wars with each other, do you? No, because they're civilized.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Thanks for the replies everyone. This really does help me narrow down the builds I am likely to use.
    “No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style.” ― Steven Brust
    "In God we trust. All others we investigate." - United States Army Military Police Corps
    My thanks to Komodo for the excellent Avatar.
    Check out BSR's Improved Sorcerer project.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Barbarian in the Playground

10-point Trajan Pro boldface.

*flees thread*

THE DYING OF THE LIGHT
    A GURPS Zombie Apocalypse Campaign
    always accepting players