New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default [PF] You are foregiven my child

So, I am a cleric of Iomedea. I was going to play a paladin but in the game we are playing we started at level 0 and worked our way op. We are all brothers and former farmers. There are two evil brothers but they are still my brothers so I went cleric instead of Paladin.

Now, I have read on here over and over again that clerics are beastly and game breaking. Is that only in 3.5 or are they that powerful in PF as well? I'm not much of a divine caster. I much prefer arcane, but I got the shaft (a witch, two sorcs, a ranger and a polearm fighter.)

So, i'm asking for a little help. I am level two and could use some solid advice on feats and spells. Anything at all will be helpful. I dont mind taking ONE dip but I dont want to loose to many SPD.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: [PF] You are foregiven my child

It looks like you guys are short on melee (Is the Ranger Melee or Ranged?) to help balance out what seems to be some serious arcane focus by your group..

So how about working towards the Holy Vindicator PrC?

Its a strong melee-oriented divine class that Clerics and Paladins (And Oracles who can channel) can go for, found in the Advanced Player's Guide. Prereqs are:

• BAB +5
    • Ability to Channel Energy
    • Knowledge (Religion) 5 Ranks
    • Alignment Channel or Elemental Channel Feats
    • Ability to cast 1st level Divine Spells

This will allow you get the class at level 8, hindered only by your BAB. The class itself features full BAB, d10 HD, Full stacking of class levels for Channel Energy, and other tanky/healy type abilities. And you only lose 3 spellcaster levels by doing so, which means you'll still get 9th level spells.

What are your attributes and what feat did you pick at level 1?

And.. I'm curious how you guys played out starting at level 0.. sounds interesting.
    Last edited by Crustypeanut; 2012-10-15 at 12:06 PM.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.
    Where did you start yours?
    In a Gladiatorial Arena.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Sorry for the slow response....had a lot of family issues yesterday.

As far as 0 level goes...I came up with something quite crafty IMO:

4d4 placed as they fall...I.E. the first roll of say 11 goes into str and the second into dex.. so on and so on.

you get one feat, a BAB of +0 and a base F/R/W save of +1

we started with a d8 HD modified by con as normal and starting exp was -1500

for the human natural ability we decided that a d6 (number of stats) would be rolled and applied to whatever was rolled ( 1 was str 2 dex) except that it would be rerolled if you had a negative modifier for the stat rolled. After all what good is natural talent if it only makes you average?

we used a d8+11 for age....and once you hit 16 you got another +2 to a stat randomly rolled (puberty)

So...every 300 exp we got a new increase to a stat...this time we could pick it with a couple rules. The first increase was a d4+2 this could go anywhere you didn't have a negative modifier. So yea a 22 was possible but not one person got it. The highest was a 19 by myself into my str and wis. so again once you obtained 300 more (-900 now) you got a d6 that COULD go anywhere except whatever stat you did the d4+2. so on and so on in the following order:

d4+2 d6 d4+2 d4 d4 One stat never got an improvement. This was to show how deep into yourself you had to look and how much sheer necessity and the physical limits people dont understand until they have to draw on it (anyone who has gone through basic training understands that feeling of amazement at what you can make your body do)

We picked a few skills and gave 4+int for class skills.

The only real hard part was weap profs. We picked stuff like club, bow, sickle, dagger, scythe....farm weapons. The eldest brother also got Long Sword, since our family heirloom was a long sword. Along the way two of the pc's who wanted to be sorc's started manifesting their blood line powers an had to partake in a shady back alley transaction to gain some info on their new abilites.

At first level we just added the normal stuff to our current. Yea that made us pretty badass 1st level guys...but you try taking out orcs that raped and pillaged your farm and family with a total +2 to hit... ;) it was pretty kool.

as far as the PrC goes...that could be kool...but really i'm looking more into what feats should I take and stuff. I'm not hurting in the stat department, but I would like to stay away from melee feats and focus on my casting.

Sorry for the long post but thanks for showing interest :)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

have you checked out some of the guides for clerics that are online?

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?hl=en&pli=1

this one is fully up to date with spells and clas features. The only thing its really missing is feats but for making a cleric is there

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Hmm...what are all these level 0 rules for? Characters without class levels are creatures with one hit die. In the case of most playable stuff, one Humanoid hit die.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

@gartius Thanks! i'll take a look at it.

@Andreaz those are my home brew rules for playing a character from 0 level and onward. They were quite successful believe it or not

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

I know, and I believe you.
    My question was about their necessity, since they aren't necessary.

Anyway, off topic. Bye bye.