New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Dragon Slaying Advice

Quote Originally Posted by Archmage1 View Post
    Sadly, we have the macguffin already, but the dragon can detect it by scent. Which makes evasion tricky. We need to get past him to get out of the dungeon.
    Time to ope for a merciful DM. After the tribe of frost giants, I have my doubts...
    Is the mcguffin small enough to swallow? If not, I still have a plan, but it's going to get a bit messy.
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign

2. - Top - End - #32
    Colossus in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Swallowing the Macguffin does not stop it being detected, but it is small enough to swallow. If not, we could just stick it in the undead warforged familiar.
    Spoiler: Current Character List:
    Show

John Smith, Playing in the Dollhouse
    Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    Grok Magmaforge, Iron Crisis
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

...Solution

Drop armor take run actions
    Well person with best stuff for slowing the beast do just that.
    And once the others have gotten a good distance and the Dragon has to choose between losing them and whoever is annoying it.
    Run and hide or failing that make a break for a different exit or someplace to cause a cave in

Run; well hopefully it gets angry and storms off
    Make a break; gives your allies more time
    Cave In; hope it kills old draggy and then run
    Check Out
    Check out my youtube channel just click here and enjoy?

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Miscast_Mage View Post
    You're a frickin' ninja below me, too!? You got mad skills, Vknight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arbane View Post
    Rogue vs. Dog. (The new Cat vs. Commoner, only not amusing!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    You are making the assumption of rational planning. After 37 years of dungeon crawling, I still have zero evidence that the average dungeon was designed by the sane.
    "Sleep is optional, just ask Vknight" Someone I Forget but thanks... I don't

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Swallowing the Macguffin does not stop it being detected, but it is small enough to swallow. If not, we could just stick it in the undead warforged familiar.
    That nixes my other plan too then.

Here's an option of last resort.

Have whichever of the party is least able to do anything against the creature, take a finger from each of the others. Those two fight the dragon as a distraction while that character makes a getaway with the mcguffin. He then uses the severed fingers to get his now very dead friends reincarnated.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

Oh, hey, I just remembered a stupendously cheesy tactic you have available to you.. Summon Undead IV can summon an Allip. Have the Dread Necromancer Versatile Caster up a couple of them and set them on the dragon. Very few things have a good way of dealing with incorporeal undead inflicting ability drain.. this is about the only thing I can think of (that is readily available to you) that would have a decent chance of really threatening the dragon. Don't be surprised if your DM forbids it afterwards, tho.

6. - Top - End - #36

GreenSorcererElf

Now, that sounds like a plan.
    Thanks.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    Oh, hey, I just remembered a stupendously cheesy tactic you have available to you.. Summon Undead IV can summon an Allip. Have the Dread Necromancer Versatile Caster up a couple of them and set them on the dragon. Very few things have a good way of dealing with incorporeal undead inflicting ability drain.. this is about the only thing I can think of (that is readily available to you) that would have a decent chance of really threatening the dragon. Don't be surprised if your DM forbids it afterwards, tho.
    That could certainly level the playing field a bit. It's no guarantee, but it's definitely something.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #38
    Orc in the Playground

And application of poorly thought out rules/spells wins the day again! Was there ever any doubt?
    Sup ho.

Avatar by the profilic kaptainkrutch.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime32 View Post
    Really, getting mad at a story for using tropes is about as sane as getting mad at the book it's printed in for using atoms.

9. - Top - End - #39

GreenSorcererElf

That is why I posted here. Somehow, I suspect that someone could figure out a way for a level 1 character to beat the neutronium golem.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

10. - Top - End - #40
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Ok, you really should have explained in your first post that the dragon was guarding the only exit to a complex that you're in and he has a possibly insurmountable ability to detect you going buy. That would have kept us from wasting time telling you how to overcome the challenge with resources that would be attainable in most campaigns.

Is the dungeon complex cleared out? If not you could go hunting try hoping for a magic item that can help you or a creature with a nonstandard movement ability you can charm to get you out of there.

If you must fight, I suggest Summoning an Allip or two with Summon Undead IV and buffing them with haste and displacement. If the dragon hasn't buffed it's touch AC (do you know if it has?) the Allip will have a 3/4 chance of hitting for 1d4 Wis damage which will kill it in 5-6 attacks, each hit will also lower it's will save. Everyone should do what they can to backup the Allips and keep them alive with the the beguiler switching to targeting Will save-or-lose spells if the Allips get 3-4 hits off.

11. - Top - End - #41

GreenSorcererElf

Thank you for the advice. To be fair, I thought I had included the needed info in the op: That is, I said that we needed a solution to the dragon issue, although I should have mentioned that stealth was not an option.

So, current plan: Summon Allips, displace and haste them, and use will spells to cripple it as well. I like it.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

Thank you for the advice. To be fair, I thought I had included the needed info in the op: That is, I said that we needed a solution to the dragon issue, although I should have mentioned that stealth was not an option.

So, current plan: Summon Allips, displace and haste them, and use will spells to cripple it as well. I like it.
    Just a heads up: though this is a solid plan, there's a chance that your allips will be anihilated by the dragon's opening blast with his breath weapon. Specifically, they have approximately 47.5% chance each of taking full damage from a breath attack and a little less than even odds of being destroyed in that instance.
    Last edited by Kelb_Panthera; 2012-10-15 at 09:45 PM.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #43

GreenSorcererElf

And thus: send in the warforged to draw the first breath attack. Hopefully, the recharge time will be sufficient to eliminate the dragon.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

Personally I'd focus on "how to survive a cave-in," if only for style.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Barbarian in the Playground

Well..
    Ask yourself.. is your Dm REALLY wants you to kill this Dragon?
    if yes... do the simplest thingy.. ask for a detailed description of his cave...
    use that D20 for spot... in many cases, on a seemingly certain deadly encounter,
    the answer is the thin frost floor... or even better that big stalactite above the
    dragon's head... or his poor choice to have his cave bellow a lava stream...
    generally.. that obviously unbeatable enemy is either to be dodged or to be slain
    with a simple,creative way :)

Edit: Lol.. got the craziest thought... let the dragon shallow one of you...
    in his belly you may find a ring of wishes :P.. but i guess not!
    Last edited by Kerilstrasz; 2012-10-16 at 04:47 AM.
    Spoiler: Characters' Codex
    Show

The following are character concepts that are created as TheoryCraft, and i would be most delighted to try in a game.

The Whip Tank!
    20lvl Cavalier
    Sources used: Core, Monsters of the Multiverse, Tasha's Cauldron of Everything, Tal'Dorei Campaign Setting Reborn
    Looking for an adventure...

The Assassin!
    Currently on the road...

16. - Top - End - #46

GreenSorcererElf

The cave is a series of ledges, which have ice bridges between them. Still, we now have a plan that does not involve begging for a plot device.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss