New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default The legend of Korra

Is anyone aware of when the second season is coming out, if they are even making one. I was under the impression that they were and have been really looking forward to it. But am not sure if my hopes are for nothing. Could someone let me know please and thank you, and what the second season is about if they are please and thank you.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: The legend of Korra

Last I heard, they were indeed making a second season, with concept art and other bits of info already released. But as far as I know, the release date is still a mystery.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Thank you so much. And thank those people that they are still continuing that beautiful story. It was great. I have been dieing to see Zuko in it though. Wounder when he will show up and if we ever hear what happened to his mother.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Colossus in the Playground

3 more seasons have been confirmed. Season 2 will be themed around spirits and lineage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by dantiesilva View Post
    Wounder when he will show up and if we ever hear what happened to his mother.
    His mother's storyline is actually being covered in the tie in comic called "The Search". I believe it is going to be three issues.
    Two by two, hands of blue.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

Forget Korra. When's M. Night Shyamalan going to make the live action adaptation?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Epic View Post
    Forget Korra. When's M. Night Shyamalan going to make the live action adaptation?
    When he finds the right girl who's blonde enough.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

I had mixed thoughts about season one. I thought it was too rushed and EASILY could be around two seasons.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Have to agree with Scowling Dragon here. It was rushed, they developed the wrong things, wasted too much time on meaningless stuff, wrapped everything up too nicely for a final 20 minute episode, and didn't flesh out the main characters overmuch. Most glaringly was Mako, who unlike Zuko (which I have a sneaking suspicion he was at least in part based on) doesn't have anything of real substance underneath his brooding to make him interesting.

That said, when they hit gold they really hit it. But that mostly happened with a few scenes with the villains.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Also Pro-bending was boring. It was like ordinary bending fights except limited to just spam attacks.

And how is putting rocks into water cheating? Isn't just getting hit by rocks even worse?

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by Scowling Dragon View Post
    And how is putting rocks into water cheating? Isn't just getting hit by rocks even worse?
    It possibly forces a defender to use multiple bending techniques -- something only one person in the world is capable of doing.

I have to imagine that past strategies included a coordinated attack using all three benders to send a boiling, rock filled stream of water at a single person. That likely didn't end well.

Think of it as roughing the passer. An action which has been banned in order to safeguard the player.
    How did you have that image on standby......

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

So yeah. The sport is just dodgeball then. What a waste of the bending concept.

Your not even allowed to target a single person with multiple bending types at the same time then.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MLai View Post
    When he finds the right girl who's blonde enough.

I actually kind of liked the idea of pro-bending. Don't get me wrong, while enjoyable, there was a lot wrong with the season but pro-bending wasn't one of them.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

14. - Top - End - #14

Your not even allowed to target a single person with multiple bending types at the same time then.
    Well I never actually said that it added anything to the show. For me, it just felt like a sad attempt to tie in some card-collector-game style action. Possibly link us to some online action content or even just provide immitation Quidditch.

"Hey, Harry Potter had a senseless competition aspect. I bet kids still go for that. And look at how much air time it can take up for almost no writing effort!"

I'm sure the intention was to show how bending itself has become common to the point of sports entertainment, and give the bad guys a target for later on, but really... I always faded out when it came to the matches because I just didn't care that much.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

I have to question whether you actually paid attention to the pro-bending matches, or were too busy getting righteously indignant because the creators didn't do things the way you wanted?

A single attack can only be composed of a single element type. There's nothing illegal about two different players attacking the same player simultaneously - hiding an earth attack behind a water attack is perfectly legitimate and was seen in an earlier match.

As for a 'waste of a bending concept', why don't you go back and watch the original series since pro-bending apparently irks you so much?

Quote Originally Posted by Fragenstein View Post
    I'm sure the intention was to show how bending itself has become common to the point of sports entertainment, and give the bad guys a target for later on, but really... I always faded out when it came to the matches because I just didn't care that much.
    I understood pro-bending to have two reasons; the first was as you stated (bending becoming so common to the point of it being a sport), and the second was a way to have Korra being able to practice in a competive environment.
    Aang and the others had an actual war with enemy soldiers to fight and 'practice' with - Korra doesn't and since going round like a vigilante didn't work too well (as seen in the second episode), she needs something almost as high stakes but socially acceptable in a society not in open war.
    Last edited by Brother Oni; 2013-01-31 at 07:31 AM.

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Oni View Post
    A single attack can only be composed of a single element type. There's nothing illegal about two different players attacking the same player simultaneously - hiding an earth attack behind a water attack is perfectly legitimate and was seen in an earlier match.
    Not quite simultaneous. One follows quickly after the other, but we were actually discussing a single attack comprised of multiple elements.

It wouldn't take much practice for two attackers to combine their efforts and fill a stream with rocks just like Korra did. That sounds like something banned for safety reasons.

I still think it was both boring and derivative, but enjoyed the show anyway.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Not quite simultaneous. One follows quickly after the other, but we were actually discussing a single attack comprised of multiple elements.
    I'll have to watch the series again, but I'm fairly sure there's another scene where Korra's getting attacked left and right by all three members of the enemy team. While I agree that they're not simultaneous, it's pretty close.

It would be difficult for a judge to call a foul in fast paced play like that, indicating that he has some discretion in his rulings.
    Rock fragments in water (I believe earth bending attacks have to be made with whole discs - disc fragments and shards count as illegal attacks) is just plain cheating though.

It wouldn't take much practice for two attackers to combine their efforts and fill a stream with rocks just like Korra did. That sounds like something banned for safety reasons.
    Knowing that team's reputation, they probably did practice it.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

I don't think pro-bending is poorly designed in-universe. Just like boxing (or even current UFC) is an extremely limited imitation of real-life combat. You can't fault the story for the credible rules of a sport. Pro-benders are NOT martial artists.

Yeah, the writers tried to go to the next level with the plot of season 1, and it had great setup and potential. But they didn't plan the season out very well and it ended very sloppily and wasted a lot of stuff. Things I would have changed even if I was constrained to a single season:

(1) Amon is not a con-man. He is a real bonafide energy-bender. His life story is the same, and he hates element-benders. Somehow he learned the pure root form of bending: energy-bending. Control of life, not control of inanimate objects.

(2) His plans are thwarted at the end after he's revealed to be Tarlok's brother, and the citizens mistakenly think he was fooling them with bloodbending. He escapes alive to parts unknown.

(3) Korra lost all bending except for airbending. Season 2 will be about Korra going on a journey to regain her bending arts. To begin, she'll consult the spirit world on energy-bending.

19. - Top - End - #19

I don't think pro-bending is poorly designed in-universe.
    Is it just me, or were there teams who won the first two rounds only to lose the match by losing the last round? Does that mean nothing matters but the final round, like some injury-prone version of Family Feud?

It also seemed like they were inconsistant about how to advance from one zone into another, and when someone could be pushed into the water (though I'm NOT refering to the time Korra pushed someone off the side of the court).

So pro-bending had its place. Sure, I'll agree with that. But as a background element. Something to reveal a new aspect of this world. Not as a substitute for honest, story driven action.

And Oni -- if it were only the fragmented disk that made Korra's attack illegal, why not superheat one before launching or send out some boiling water?

Composite attacks just sound more dangerous than the rules should allow. I'm surprised this isn't discused on the official Avatar Wiki.

EDIT: And they actually do discuss it. A full knockout wins the match regardless of rounds. Plus there's most definately a penalty structure scripted towards the safety of the players.

So I'll admit it's better thought-out than Quidditch. I still found it a dry disctraction from an already compacted storyline.

FURTHER EDIT: And, hah, a Live Action Pro-Bending league has been formed, with rules that seem to be rooted in Dodge Ball. So not that far off.
    Last edited by Fragenstein; 2013-01-31 at 08:13 AM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

I think I remember this when the episode aired the creators posted the rules. There are certain places that only one type of element can hit the opponent in, for safety reasons. Considering they're hurling fire and rocks at each other that just makes sense. In any case, only water can target the face, which is what the rock/water attack was aimed at. That's the illegal bit.

Also, I hated pro-bending. It's so boring, why should I care who wins a bloody sports game?

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Some time ago, I heard that this will be the premise of season 2:
    Spoiler
    Show
    A nature vs technology scenario, where technology is evil. And Asami becomes a villain.

It was an unconfirmed piece of information, so probably a troll and not genuine. But if it turns out to be true... Hoo boy. Series dropped so hard.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

There were a lot of things wrong with the first season of Legend of Korra, but Pro-Bending wasn't one of them, in my opinion. It was an interesting setting element and provided a different avenue for Korra to develop. If it feels like a waste of time, it's because the whole season is so rushed, I think.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    It's so boring, why should I care who wins a bloody sports game?
    It's the best thing ever when done correctly.
    Spoiler
    Show

Well you did say bloody.
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

It's the best thing ever when done correctly.
    This is just one of my things. I don't enjoy watching sports in real life, at all. Playing them? Awesome. But as soon as I start watching some other guy play around I get bored. The same has gone for about every single sports in shows I've seen.

The stakes? There aren't really any, it's about who wins a game. I really can't get past this even if the cliche "the winning pot can help me save my dying/failing mate/business." It does nothing for me.

The risk? Again, not much of any it's a game unless said game is gladiatorial combat the worst you're going to get is a broken bone.

Now I'm not against taking an episode to go have a game. I don't enjoy dancing either but watching Aang do a Footloose homage didn't bore me nearly as much because it was only one episode. In this the sport was central to the development of the plot and took up a good chunk of the first half of the season and it did nothing for me.
    Last edited by Dienekes; 2013-01-31 at 09:44 AM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Firbolg in the Playground

(3) Korra lost all bending except for airbending. Season 2 will be about Korra going on a journey to regain her bending arts. To begin, she'll consult the spirit world on energy-bending.
    YES! I would have done this 100 times over because it makes SENSE, I felt it was a cheap fix to give her back all her bending; however, when they first made legend of Korra it was intended to be a one season one shot wasn't it? If so then they can be partially be forgiven since they thought they had to wrap up everything in one season. Though they should have anticipated the massive fan base would want MOAR!
    Blarg...

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

Actually in a game where you throw fireballs there WILL be accidents where people get their faces horribly melted off. A single mis-aim, somebody slips or tumbles or gets hit into the fire the wrong way and its burnsville for you.

Just my point was its a less interesting version of ordinary fights. Its like having a boxing tournament focus in a show about mortal martial arts show.

Either remove it, or add some extra finesse that makes it worth watching:

Why not have the earth-bending soccer? That was so cool! If everybody had protective gear it could be also extended towards firebending and waterbending as well.

Anyway I am bugged by how season 1 wrapped up. Its so tight. With no loose ends.

Korra should have lost her bending. So since before she had the will, now she needs to learn the way. Or something or whatever. The season blew its load way too quickly.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Anyway I am bugged by how season 1 wrapped up. Its so tight. With no loose ends.

Korra should have lost her bending. So since before she had the will, now she needs to learn the way. Or something or whatever. The season blew its load way too quickly.
    That's a result of them planning for only one Season.

Which was kind of silly. You're making a sequel to one of the most successful animated shows in recent memory, and you are only thinking about one season?

The resolution could work as-is, all the pieces are there, they just are not put together properly.

Part of what made AtLA so great was that we really, really knew the characters. It was slow-burn character building, we got to know these characters through a thousand moments, some sad, some funny, some just awesome. They felt very Real, and very fleshed out. I fully believe that the LoK characters were just as well thought out, just not as well explored.

The Lion Turtle was a DEM, but the whole sequence worked BECAUSE we knew Aang so well. We knew exactly what was going on in his head. It seems arbitrary because Aang receives an external reward (Energybending) for an Internal Struggle (His duty as the Avatar+ Desire to stop Ozai vs Personal Beliefs about killing), but we fully believe that he DID struggle.

Korra on the Glacier did not work. Theoretically it could have worked in the same way. Korra, faced with losing her bending, and therefore her identity, is undergoing a crisis. She's always been more concerned with how awesome a Bender she is then with being an Avatar, so losing her Awesome Benderness (And with it the main thing that makes her an Avatar) makes sense that it would trigger a crisis. In the end, she decides to stop whining and Be The Avatar, with or without her ability to Bend multiple elements. As a result she is able to connect with her past lives, and then Mako shows up for Makouts.

We can imagine that is happening, and it fits with prior evidence. However, we don't KNOW it's happening. All we See is Korra being sad on a Glacier, and then Aang shows up and is like "I WILL SOLVE ALL YOUR PROBLEMS", and then Mako shows up for Makouts. We KNEW exactly what struggle Aang was going through, both because of what we were shown, and because of what we knew about his character from three seasons of buildup. With Korra, all we got were two moments, her reactions to "I will take your bending, and you will be nothing" and "Half-Baked Avatar", which helps set up her Crisis, but we have no idea what's going on in her head.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post

Which was kind of silly. You're making a sequel to one of the most successful animated shows in recent memory, and you are only thinking about one season?
    Which is what you get when accountants decide whether a series gets made in the middle of a recession.

It poses the question, would you have preferred an unfinished story with a possible movie to wrap up the loose ends ala Firefly, or a rushed but self contained story in a single season?

Mako shows up for Makouts.
    How long did you spend thinking up that pun?

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

That's what happens when you have to work with network executives, especially ones that treated that show you're making a sequel to as a redheaded stepchild at times.
    Last edited by Reverent-One; 2013-01-31 at 12:02 PM.
    Thanks to Elrond for the Vash avatar.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

No. No it is not.

I'm tired of people constantly taking this tact "they didn't know they'd get another season! That's why the ending is so rushed! That's why the pacing in the series is so problematic!"

Let's suppose they never got another season and it ended after one season. Guess what? The pacing is still problematic throughout, with time being spent on characters or plots that are irrelevant, resulting in important things being skipped over or rushed through, particularly towards the end. Whether they got a second season or not is completely irrelevant to these issues.
    Last edited by Lord Seth; 2013-01-31 at 12:53 PM.