New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 24 of 51 FirstFirst ... 14151617181920212223242526272829303132333449 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #691
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Bleach VI: We Want Our Baby Bach Ribs (Aizen pull)

Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I can honestly say I never saw that last one coming.

This also puts a weird possible spin on my earlier thoughts of UnohanaxKenpachi and the replies of YachiruxKenpachi. Clearly they mean two things at once, both being the same thing, and one being about self-love.

Also, I darn love Shunsui speaking to the Central 46 like that. And he's actually got a shared Captain-Commander spot with Kyouraku? So that means their two old divisions need new captains, doesn't it? And the First Division will get two vice-captains?

Anyway, it appears to be like I was telling. It is a very strange thing, but it appears Bleach is looking up.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Shunsui is Kyouraku. I'm pretty sure that was his full name on the paper. The former 3rd seat of Squad 1 and Nanao will be the two vice-captains. Ukitake will stay as Captain of Squad 13.

Eye-patch Shunsui back-talking Central 46 is awesome.

In hindsight, the reveal about Unohana isn't that surprising given how everyone reacts to her. 20/20 and all that.
    The New Soulknife Handbook!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mercenary Pen View Post
    And there I was thinking that Midichlorian counts were a variety of force-sensitive hereditary noble- most notably Dooku.

2. - Top - End - #692
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Battleship789 View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Shunsui is Kyouraku. I'm pretty sure that was his full name on the paper. The former 3rd seat of Squad 1 and Nanao will be the two vice-captains. Ukitake will stay as Captain of Squad 13.
    Ahhh, right. I forgot the 13th Division's captain's name, so I thought that was it, since I remember his name being something that was like Jirou, even if not exactly it, and since the name was put on two lines in the translation I read, I thought it referred to two people.

Spoiler
    Show
    Since the two of them were both like sons to Yamamoto, I thought they had gotten a shared position.

Thanks for clearing it up.
    Last edited by Morph Bark; 2012-12-12 at 06:48 AM.
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

3. - Top - End - #693
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    Ahhh, right. I forgot the 13th Division's captain's name, so I thought that was it, since I remember his name being something that was like Jirou, even if not exactly it, and since the name was put on two lines in the translation I read, I thought it referred to two people.

Spoiler
    Show
    Since the two of them were both like sons to Yamamoto, I thought they had gotten a shared position.

Thanks for clearing it up.
    Yeah, I was confused as well. I had to read over it a few times to realize that the two names written were actually just Shunsui's full name.
    The New Soulknife Handbook!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mercenary Pen View Post
    And there I was thinking that Midichlorian counts were a variety of force-sensitive hereditary noble- most notably Dooku.

4. - Top - End - #694
    Titan in the Playground

I wasn't even aware that in Japan people could have middle names. In case of Yamamoto, it was only because it was a nickname/title that stuck (Genryuusai). And even that was attached to his last name with a dash (-).

5. - Top - End - #695
    Bugbear in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Wow, many good chapters in a row, is it Christmas?

6. - Top - End - #696
    Titan in the Playground

Not for another 12 days; but yes, the latest chapters have been surprisingly good.
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

7. - Top - End - #697
    Barbarian in the Playground

~5 days. The double issue comes out on the 22nd, so scanlations should come in on around the 17th?
    Thanks to Meirnon for the avatar
    One Punch-Man: I became the hero I had always dreamed of being. But how can it be that, even though I should be satisfied, I feel so empty?...
    Gag manga story by One, artwork by Murata Yusuke of Eyeshield 21 fame
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #698
    Firbolg in the Playground

ALL HAIL KYORAKU SOUTAICHO!

I predict that the Gotei 13 is now generally going to be a more awesome place. That said, I feel vaguely bad for Shunsui, given how he's constantly slumped over since receiving the news. He very clearly doesn't want the job...

Also, personal canon is that Renji was, in fact, screaming in pain internally over getting punched there, but his manly pride would not allow him to admit it. That said, this squad zero guy is a terrible doctor. Wow.
    "Not trusting me might be the smartest decision you made since getting off of your horse."

Avatar by Ifni, who is rightly awesome.

9. - Top - End - #699
    Ogre in the Playground

one the things I noticed a few chapters ago was an interesting difference between translations when squad zero talked to gotei 13; and the last bit of todays chapter proved it wasn't a translation quirk.

Nifty.
    Rule of Cool former designer

Games I'm playing: League of Legends, Mechwarrior Online

10. - Top - End - #700
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 9mm View Post
    one the things I noticed a few chapters ago was an interesting difference between translations when squad zero talked to gotei 13; and the last bit of todays chapter proved it wasn't a translation quirk.

Nifty.
    Could you explain what that means because I am infinitely curious as to what you mean.

11. - Top - End - #701
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Maugan Ra View Post
    That said, this squad zero guy is a terrible doctor. Wow.
    He lacks the character, but at least he most certainly has the skills
    Also, the Kirin, the mythical beast who's name he bears, is sometimes portrayed with a single horn (at least in more modern depictions), and well, his hair...

12. - Top - End - #702
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Could you explain what that means because I am infinitely curious as to what you mean.
    spoilered due to needing the latest chapter to explain fully:

Spoiler
    Show

So it's hotspring demon and unohana right after unohana objects to the moving of bakuya.

"What you should be doing right now..."

Translation 1: "Is leave this mess to the pros"

Translation 2: "isn't healing."

and the latest chapter says unohana was the first kempachi; in other words the second translation was more direct translation with massive foreshadowing while the first was a more this is what he would be saying in context. So is he saying he's just a better healer, or telling her to re-draw her sword that she obviously put away? Now I know, it was the latter.
    Rule of Cool former designer

Games I'm playing: League of Legends, Mechwarrior Online

13. - Top - End - #703

spoilered due to needing the latest chapter to explain fully:

Spoiler
    Show

So it's hotspring demon and unohana right after unohana objects to the moving of bakuya.

and the latest chapter says unohana was the first kempachi; in other words the second translation was more direct translation with massive foreshadowing while the first was a more this is what he would be saying in context. So is he saying he's just a better healer, or telling her to re-draw her sword that she obviously put away? Now I know, it was the latter.
    Spoiler
    Show
    That's....quite awesome. I will say this, Unohana being The First Kenpachi has been VERY well foreshadowed multiple times. It's like a return of 2004 Kubo!
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2012-12-12 at 01:36 PM.

14. - Top - End - #704
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    That's....quite awesome. I will say this, Unohana being The First Kenpachi has been VERY well foreshadowed multiple times. It's like a return of 2004 Kubo!
    Is it...? No. Oh no, no way. Do you... do you think he did it on purpose?

Spoiler
    Show
    -> cheek

15. - Top - End - #705
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Spoiler
    Show

Thank god I always read different translations. While the folks from 2 sometimes need some proofreading ("And from the gas has started coming in from the cut", One Piece, Chapter 691), I always had the feeling they were translating more literally.
    Last edited by Dscherro; 2012-12-12 at 01:52 PM.

16. - Top - End - #706
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Shunsui continues to prove he is perhaps the single most awesome character in this comic.

Weighed down by the death of his mentor and the sheer responsibility he carries, but still standing and carrying on, because it's what has to be done? Check.
    Having a plan for organization and how to keep the Gotei functioning and alive? Check.
    Standing up to the useless wastes of flesh and air that are the Central 46? Check.
    Rocking an Eyepatch of Power so hard it should send shivers up your spine? Freaking Check.

I hope the Old Man stays dead because Shunsui's 10x more awesome now, and the Gotei may yet end up a better place with him in charge.

Spoiler
    Show
    Unohana's name is also Yachiru? Interesting.
    She was a Kenpachi? More interesting.
    She's the only one ZP respects and will listen to? Not surprising.

17. - Top - End - #707
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    It feels like the most interesting things left in this manag are those that have nothing to do with Ichigo... i mean the highlight of this chapter was Shusui and Unohana. Still kinda makes me wish Kubo could have put Ichigo aside and let someone else like Karin take over... Ichigo just bores me at this point, but there is still some decent potential in the rest of the bleach-verse

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

Eh, i wouldn't call it very well foreshadowed; foreshadowed yes, but not so much well foreshadowed; it could have been better... I mean before that mentioned chapter, the only real indication we had that unohana was strong was from the databooks which showed her stats to be quite high. I mean Other than that it was mostly just fan speculation that the white mage was actually really strong; its practically a trope for the most unassuming and peaceful character to turn out be very strong.

Heck one thing i did right after reading the chapter was to look up Unohana and Kenpachi to see if I had forgotten about any kind of past interaction that the two have had... though all I could find was anime filler and fan fiction. now THAT's something i would have liked to see to act as some kind of foreshadowing to their relationship.
    Last edited by slayerx; 2012-12-12 at 03:36 PM.

18. - Top - End - #708
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by slayerx View Post
    It feels like the most interesting things left in this manag are those that have nothing to do with Ichigo... i mean the highlight of this chapter was Shusui and Unohana. Still kinda makes me wish Kubo could have put Ichigo aside and let someone else like Karin take over... Ichigo just bores me at this point, but there is still some decent potential in the rest of the bleach-verse
    At this point Bleach wouldn't even need a single character as a focus point. You could very well make Gotei 13 the main characters, with some having more screen time than others. Considering Kubo's talent at creating characters and showing their interactions (basically the first part of Bleach), this could have worked very well. Ichigo being the only hope for everyone again is incredible boring. And the reason for him being the only hope against Aizen was stupid in the first place. Ichigo being related to the Quincy is also not the best idea. He was a Visored, that was ok, he should have remained this and nothing more.
    Last edited by Dscherro; 2012-12-12 at 04:09 PM.

19. - Top - End - #709
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Interesting. According to wikipedia Retsu means "violent" in Japanese. One of those things that those of us who don't speak Japanese miss.

20. - Top - End - #710
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by slayerx View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Eh, i wouldn't call it very well foreshadowed; foreshadowed yes, but not so much well foreshadowed; it could have been better... I mean before that mentioned chapter, the only real indication we had that unohana was strong was from the databooks which showed her stats to be quite high. I mean Other than that it was mostly just fan speculation that the white mage was actually really strong; its practically a trope for the most unassuming and peaceful character to turn out be very strong.

Heck one thing i did right after reading the chapter was to look up Unohana and Kenpachi to see if I had forgotten about any kind of past interaction that the two have had... though all I could find was anime filler and fan fiction. now THAT's something i would have liked to see to act as some kind of foreshadowing to their relationship.
    Spoiler
    Show
    that is completely untrue. every single character is afraid of her when she wants them to be. the enemy doesn't even attack her while she's occupied healing.
    a tiny space dedicated to a beloved grandpa now passed. may every lunch be peanut butter-banana sandwiches.
    i has 2/4 an internets.
    old avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

gnome_4ever:

21. - Top - End - #711
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Drolyt View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Interesting. According to wikipedia Retsu means "violent" in Japanese. One of those things that those of us who don't speak Japanese miss.
    Which is a darn shame.

Spoiler
    Show
    Oftentimes in manga, characters have meaningful names. Sadly, this meaning is often not explained in the translation unless it is a title, and it often goes unexplained on wikis and the like as well.

Which I find sad, since I love such names and finding out about them.

22. - Top - End - #712

Quote Originally Posted by Drolyt View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by thubby View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    that is completely untrue. every single character is afraid of her when she wants them to be. the enemy doesn't even attack her while she's occupied healing.
    Spoiler
    Show
    These two things are great examples of what I mean by foreshadowing. This is actually stuff that seems planned. Like, the hot spring thing last chapter, one can KINDA say "oh that's just a retro active foreshadowing" but this stuff? It's pretty well justified and clearly foreshadowed. And I like it. I really hope Bleach keeps up this good feeling.

23. - Top - End - #713
    Firbolg in the Playground

Oh man this stuff is so exciting!

I must not be much of a manga/anime connoisseur. I always liked Bleach, dunno why people are down on it at times.

Anyway, I'm no Japanese master but I took 8 semesters of it and continue to study every day. I'm sure there are people better than me on the forums. Here's the Retsu in Unohana's name.

EDIT: Also, her stat block's already been mentioned, but I find it interesting that her worst stat is her kidou strength.
    Last edited by danzibr; 2012-12-12 at 06:30 PM.
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

24. - Top - End - #714
    Barbarian in the Playground

I personally get down on Bleach at times due to:
    1. The disparity between how it's regarded in Japan and the west (ie, the whole 'big three' concept of One Piece/Naruto/Bleach here); it's kind of fun for me to poke away at it
    2. Sometimes I realize that technically, I'm spending money on this.

26 USD for 48 issues of Shounen Jump Alpha, so about 54 cents an issue. Average of ~6 series showing up in an issue, so we'll say that I'm technically paying 9 cents per chapter of a series each week.
    In retrospect, I'd say that the Vandenreich's invasion wasn't worth that to me. If I dwell on this further, I'd probably be more than annoyed.
    Sure, it's not even a dime a week. But it does remind me that I'm a sucker for paying anything at all for this
    Thanks to Meirnon for the avatar
    One Punch-Man: I became the hero I had always dreamed of being. But how can it be that, even though I should be satisfied, I feel so empty?...
    Gag manga story by One, artwork by Murata Yusuke of Eyeshield 21 fame
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #715

Spoiler
    Show
    These two things are great examples of what I mean by foreshadowing. This is actually stuff that seems planned. Like, the hot spring thing last chapter, one can KINDA say "oh that's just a retro active foreshadowing" but this stuff? It's pretty well justified and clearly foreshadowed. And I like it. I really hope Bleach keeps up this good feeling.
    Well supposedly Kubo's been planning this arc out for a long time, so I'm optimistic. The thing I'm worried about is how the fullbringers will be worked into this. Given that their arc was clearly not planned all that well I somehow doubt they'll be well integrated into this one.
    Spoiler: Campaign Journals
    Show

Axinia: My campaign setting.

26. - Top - End - #716
    Banned

You know, I think the fullbringer arc was badly executed, but I'm not sure if it wasn't planned. In fact, it looks like the only reason to have Ichigo losing his powers was this arc.

27. - Top - End - #717

Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    You know, I think the fullbringer arc was badly executed, but I'm not sure if it wasn't planned. In fact, it looks like the only reason to have Ichigo losing his powers was this arc.
    Perhaps it was merely poorly planned then. Like he didn't develop the specifics too much in advance, but knew a general idea of what would happen.
    Spoiler: Campaign Journals
    Show

Axinia: My campaign setting.

28. - Top - End - #718
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Axinian View Post
    Perhaps it was merely poorly planned then. Like he didn't develop the specifics too much in advance, but knew a general idea of what would happen.
    Yeah, that sounds more likely

29. - Top - End - #719
    Troll in the Playground

Well I thought it was bad executed, and used as some excuse to give ichigo back some powers. I mean. he lost his powers (he had creeped so much power with his ultimate release of zangetsu) as some kind of power reset. But at least he needed some of it and then Kubo botched the job by having it stolen again, going for the tearjerker reïnvigoration (friends giving power back). I think the arc was cool, badly executed (seriously, Tsukishima was a bad choice for a power since it basically allows him to retcon his complete ass in there) and forcefully planned.
    Warlock Poetry?
    Or ways to use me in game?
    Better grab a drink...

Currently ruining Strahd's day - Avatar by the Outstanding Smuchsmuch

First Ordained Jr. Tormlet by LoyalPaladin

30. - Top - End - #720

Tsukishima's power is fantastic and I honestly feel the way Kubo utilized it was atleast decent. Cutting the ground to make it so that he'd been there before, and thus "you just stepped on a trap I set there five days ago" happens. It's kinda great and reminds me of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure.