New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 39 of 51 FirstFirst ... 14293031323334353637383940414243444546474849 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,170 of 1513
  1. - Top - End - #1141
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Bleach VI: We Want Our Baby Bach Ribs (Aizen pull)

By the way, got to love how the last chapters read like an epic lovers' spat. I mean, it's not even subtext anymore, just plain text! Too bad said lovers are sadomasochistic psychos who get off by cutting each other up.

...yeah, I'd be less disturbed if they just had plain sex. Kenpachi x kenpachi is indeed kinky.
    "It's the fate of all things under the sky,
    to grow old and wither and die."

2. - Top - End - #1142
    Troll in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dscherro View Post
    But why, and why so much? To herself? One million years are just too ridiculous to make any kind of sense, even as a hyperbole.
    Just stay away from large numbers, Kubo (and way too many other authors to list).
    What? A million years is probably one of the most common big numbers to be used in that kind of context.

SEE: "Never in a million years"

3. - Top - End - #1143
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

In the given context it sounds more serious to me, I don't think Rukia was supposed to exaggerate.
    But oh well, maybe Mankind (referring to H. Sapiens only) in Bleach is much older than in "our world".

4. - Top - End - #1144
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    They're not intelligent. I don't think we've seen anything non intelligent in soul society. They would have hollowfied.
    I recall there being animals in Soul Society. A quick search reveals that apparently there've been fish, birds, boars and this one cat that the Karakura heroes fought.

As to the intelligence of dinosaurs, that's very arguable, but there's no evidence as to whether or not they were, aside from the small brain of a handful of them, but considering they were so diverse, it says nothing about the rest of them.

It's very likely that in the millions of years since then they've reincarnated though. Or been killed by humans once they arrived.

...that post is pretty ignorant. It starts off with a pure assumption -- that each district is 10 km wide (I always assumed something more like 2 km, like city districts) -- and then goes on saying that Menos Grande are a class of Hollow between normal Hollows and Gillian despite the fact that Gillian and up are all Menos Grande.

Furthermore, mindless Gillian don't eat eachother, only those that managed to retain their Ego do (and thus they are the only ones capable of becoming Adjuchas). They likely don't need to eat Hollows to sustain their form.

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    By the way, got to love how the last chapters read like an epic lovers' spat. I mean, it's not even subtext anymore, just plain text! Too bad said lovers are sadomasochistic psychos who get off by cutting each other up.

...yeah, I'd be less disturbed if they just had plain sex. Kenpachi x kenpachi is indeed kinky.
    Toldya.
    YouTube channel:

The Asobimashow thread |Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

5. - Top - End - #1145
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    I recall there being animals in Soul Society. A quick search reveals that apparently there've been fish, birds, boars and this one cat that the Karakura heroes fought.
    And don't forget Wolf head man who's name I forgot!

6. - Top - End - #1146
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    It's Sajin Komamura. So it is rather clear that animals can get into the SS.

7. - Top - End - #1147
    Ettin in the Playground

...that post is pretty ignorant. It starts off with a pure assumption -- that each district is 10 km wide (I always assumed something more like 2 km, like city districts) -- and then goes on saying that Menos Grande are a class of Hollow between normal Hollows and Gillian despite the fact that Gillian and up are all Menos Grande.

Furthermore, mindless Gillian don't eat eachother, only those that managed to retain their Ego do (and thus they are the only ones capable of becoming Adjuchas). They likely don't need to eat Hollows to sustain their form.
    "Menos Grande" in my calculations specifically refers to the standard, mindless sort of Gillian, for precisely the reason that they work differently than other Menos. (Or rather, other Menos work differently than them.) Non-sentient standard Gillians indeed are a specific class between base Hollows and other Menos for exactly the reason you mentioned.

As for width of Rukon rings, (each ring is then divided to four actual districts based on cardinal direction, remember), I initially assumed them to be 2 km wide, but that seemed too small compared to size of Seireitei itself - unlike Rukon districts, we have a fairly good account on how big Seireitei is supposed to be, and it is huge.

I then concluded each ring would more likely be comparable to a town or county by itself, based on how much wilderness even districts closes to Seireitei have. Now, what mental image "town" or "county" invokes for you probably depends where you live - I live in Finland, where counties are loosely populated and pretty big. My own home county is 40 to 50 kilometers across, depending on which way you're crossing. My actual home town is easily 5 kilometers wide, and its infrastructure resembles Rukongai in looseness of construction. Distance to the nearest other proper town is 10 to 50 kilometers, depending on which way you go.

Mind you, even with the diminutive assumption of 2 km width per ring, Rukongai + Seireitei still ends up 615 kilometers in diameter, meaning 296,909.625 square kilometers. That is still the size of a respectable country. (Slightly smaller than Finland, actually. Finland's area is 338,424 square kilometers.)

Because in a Manga where people can teleport, they should never attack from behind?
    Bleach high-speed movement is not teleportation. It is high-speed movement. I hate it when people don't understand the difference, especially when it has been a plot point that some persons can or can't follow someone's movements during Shunpo/Sonido/Hirenkyaku etc.

The only case of actual teleportation have been when Tessai used forbidden time-space Kido Jinkanteishi, spells used by Hachigen to dispose of several Gillians and Barragan Louisebarn and when Sousuke Aizen rematerialized around the Hogyoku.

By the way, Bleach high-speed movement is not particularly fast. Most feats of high speed shown in the manga would be possible at speeds between 100 to 200 kilometers per hour. What is fantastic about Bleach movement is not speed, but the fact its users can turn on a dime and react much faster than any real human.

To understand what I mean: takes this reaction time test.

I got 240 milliseconds, or bit less than fourth of a second. Now realize that an object moving at 100 km/h moves roughly 28 meters in a second. One fourth of that is 7 meters.

That is fast enough to run across the room I'm in, around me and stab me in the back before I can react. Which is perfectly consistent of how high-speed movement is displayed in Bleach. It's even pretty consistent with the distances they are shown traveling on screen.

There are only few oddball cases where it isn't, such as Molting Cicada or Gemelos Sonido, but those feats would be impossible to replicate with speed alone, and are, indeed, likened to magic tricks, suggesting a visual illusion is involved.

8. - Top - End - #1148
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

By the way, Bleach high-speed movement is not particularly fast. Most feats of high speed shown in the manga would be possible at speeds between 100 to 200 kilometers per hour. What is fantastic about Bleach movement is not speed, but the fact its users can turn on a dime and react much faster than any real human.
    Hmm. I'm a little unsure that they react so fast. It seems to me that they actually plan on where they are going to turn/stop ahead of time.

9. - Top - End - #1149
    Ettin in the Playground

They need to be able to react fast, otherwise they couldn't dodge or parry attacks, something they have been seen doing while moving at high speeds. It was kind of the whole point of the scene on the prison tower bridge between Ichigo and Byakuya - that Ichigo could now follow and react to Byakuya's movements.

10. - Top - End - #1150
    Barbarian in the Playground

The plausability of the raw # of hollows being around itself brings up a different question:
    With how few shinigami there are around actually going around doing the job of konsou*, compared to how many hollows there are, then the mortal realm is still okay because... ?

What does the entire situation look like, in the framework of the balance of souls/reincarnation system?

* Say, have we ever seen a shinigami perform konsou for non-humans? I seriously don't remember since we haven't seen konsou in forever.

---

As for this week's Viz & Panda comparison...
    Eh, aside from usual 'Viz is easily better at wording', there's just one noticable quibble I have.

Page 5:
    Top right panel: "Touzen da! Seireitei no annai no tameni rukongai gaien no routou wo seibatsu suru, nado toiu an."
    "Sonna ryuu de mo nakereba, taichou ga odashi ninaru hazu mo arimasen!"

Viz: "Of course! Your mission of 'eradicating vandals in the outskirts of Rukongai to prepare peace in the Seireitei'.."
    "You never would've proposed such an idea if that wasn't your reason!"

Panda: "Of course! The mission is 'to subjugate the warriors on the outskirts of rukongai to keep the peace in Seireitei'"
    "If there wasn't such a reason there would be no need to send someone like you!"

First sentence is close enough so let's skip that and examine the second.

Panda is reading the 'dashi' in 'dashininaru' as having the same meaning as 'da****amono', one who was sent. It's the first meaning of 'dashi' that shows up in a Japanese language Japanese dictionary** I'm checking (because jisho.org isn't helping me much here). 'ninaru' here means to become the <preceding noun>. So if that wasn't the reason, then there is no way that captain (Unohana) would've become a deployed person.

As for Viz's version... jisho.org does list pretext/pretense/dupe/front man as a definition for 'dashi'. The stumbling block I have here is that the particle 'ga' is used after taichou. So the sentence is identifying captain as the subject. If one uses the front man definition of 'dashi', then it's saying that if that wasn't the reason, then it shouldn't be the case that the captain became the dupe/front man. I'm struggling on how Viz would go from that to what they end up with.
    It could be the case that I'm not catching that being the frontman here implies an intention underneath or that the subject is the source of the idea. And thus Viz chooses to spell it out with saying that Unohana came up with the plan in the first place.

I'd side with Viz here for two reasons:
    1. Because Viz is the official license holder in NA and Viz is at least 30% owned by Shueisha, they do have a direct link to the mangaka to ask for clarifications when necessary (and this is outright stated somewhere, but I forgot where)
    2. I find it more believable that Unohana came up with the idea so she can have the pretext to run around and fight people, as opposed to it being the bureucrats', where the logic doesn't mesh on its own.

**http://dictionary.goo.ne.jp/leaf/jn2/136379/m0u/
    Thanks to Meirnon for the avatar
    One Punch-Man: I became the hero I had always dreamed of being. But how can it be that, even though I should be satisfied, I feel so empty?...
    Gag manga story by One, artwork by Murata Yusuke of Eyeshield 21 fame
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #1151

Yha, I actually read the Panda version as the way Viz put it, instictually XP

12. - Top - End - #1152
    Banned

"Menos Grande" in my calculations specifically refers to the standard, mindless sort of Gillian, for precisely the reason that they work differently than other Menos. (Or rather, other Menos work differently than them.) Non-sentient standard Gillians indeed are a specific class between base Hollows and other Menos for exactly the reason you mentioned.

As for width of Rukon rings, (each ring is then divided to four actual districts based on cardinal direction, remember), I initially assumed them to be 2 km wide, but that seemed too small compared to size of Seireitei itself - unlike Rukon districts, we have a fairly good account on how big Seireitei is supposed to be, and it is huge.

I then concluded each ring would more likely be comparable to a town or county by itself, based on how much wilderness even districts closes to Seireitei have. Now, what mental image "town" or "county" invokes for you probably depends where you live - I live in Finland, where counties are loosely populated and pretty big. My own home county is 40 to 50 kilometers across, depending on which way you're crossing. My actual home town is easily 5 kilometers wide, and its infrastructure resembles Rukongai in looseness of construction. Distance to the nearest other proper town is 10 to 50 kilometers, depending on which way you go.

Mind you, even with the diminutive assumption of 2 km width per ring, Rukongai + Seireitei still ends up 615 kilometers in diameter, meaning 296,909.625 square kilometers. That is still the size of a respectable country. (Slightly smaller than Finland, actually. Finland's area is 338,424 square kilometers.)

Bleach high-speed movement is not teleportation. It is high-speed movement. I hate it when people don't understand the difference, especially when it has been a plot point that some persons can or can't follow someone's movements during Shunpo/Sonido/Hirenkyaku etc.

The only case of actual teleportation have been when Tessai used forbidden time-space Kido Jinkanteishi, spells used by Hachigen to dispose of several Gillians and Barragan Louisebarn and when Sousuke Aizen rematerialized around the Hogyoku.

To understand what I mean: takes this reaction time test.

I got 240 milliseconds, or bit less than fourth of a second. Now realize that an object moving at 100 km/h moves roughly 28 meters in a second. One fourth of that is 7 meters.

That is fast enough to run across the room I'm in, around me and stab me in the back before I can react. Which is perfectly consistent of how high-speed movement is displayed in Bleach. It's even pretty consistent with the distances they are shown traveling on screen.

There are only few oddball cases where it isn't, such as Molting Cicada or Gemelos Sonido, but those feats would be impossible to replicate with speed alone, and are, indeed, likened to magic tricks, suggesting a visual illusion is involved.
    Yes, I understand the difference. It's stated quite obviously over and over. For storytelling purposes it's still treated as basically the same as teleportation though. "Teleport" is easier to type than "They disappear and reappear behind people."

I personally don't think he counts as a traditional animal. However, I do stand corrected on the issue of animals not going to soul society. It doesn't change the fact that some of them apparently go to Hueco Mundo as well though, so my original point stands.
    Last edited by Anteros; 2013-02-04 at 11:46 PM.

13. - Top - End - #1153
    Titan in the Playground

Actually, it's not treated as the same. If it was, those barrier things like the Old Man Genocides fire thing wouldn't work: they only function because to escape one would need to cross the flames physically, which would not be a good idea.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

14. - Top - End - #1154

Heads up guys, according to Kaze (the 2chan guy who is the main source for ToC ranking leaks), Bleach doesn't appear on this week's ToC. I presume that means no Bleach this week.
    One Punch-Man: I became the hero I had always dreamed of being. But how can it be that, even though I should be satisfied, I feel so empty?...
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #1155
    Titan in the Playground

I personally don't think he counts as a traditional animal. However, I do stand corrected on the issue of animals not going to soul society. It doesn't change the fact that some of them apparently go to Hueco Mundo as well though, so my original point stands.
    What was your original point again? Tracing back, all I'm finding is this:
    They're not intelligent. I don't think we've seen anything non intelligent in soul society. They would have hollowfied.
    Where you say that anything non-intelligent would have Hollowfied. Or at least dinosaurs, as that's the only "non-intelligent" creatures we had been talking about at that point. I'm presuming that isn't your original point, as it no longer stands.
    YouTube channel:

16. - Top - End - #1156

A special page printed in the Feb 9/issue #11 issue of WSJ, regarding Bleach and Gintama's absence:

"Dokusha no minasan e

Itsumo BLEACH, Gintama wo goaidoku itadaki arigatougozaimasu.

Kubo Taito-sensei, Sorachi Hideaki-sensei ryoumei ga infuruenza niyori taichou wo kuzushi genkou no shippitsu ga konnanna joutai to natta tame BLEACH, Gintama wa kyuusai itashimasu.

Tanoshimi ni ****e itadaiteiru dokusha no minasama taihen moushiwakearimasen.

Ryou sakuhin tomo ni, tsuzuki wa 12 kou (2 getsu 18 nichi hatsubai) kara saikai yotei desu.
    Korekaramo BLEACH, Gintama wo ouen no hodo, yoroshiku onegai iitashimasu.

Shuukan Shounen Jump Henshuubu"

To all of our readers,

Thank you for always reading (with pleasure) Bleach and Gintama.

For both Kubo Tite-sensei and Sorachi Hideaki-sensei, influenza has weakened their bodies' condition, and due to their state of having difficulty writing the manuscript, BLEACH and Gintama are taking an absence.

We deeply apologize to all of our anticipating readers.

For both works, it is planned for them to continue in issue 12 (on sale February 18).
    From here on, please continue supporting Bleach and Gintama.

From Weekly Shounen Jump's editorial department.
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #1157
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Somewhere View Post
    Heads up guys, according to Kaze (the 2chan guy who is the main source for ToC ranking leaks), Bleach doesn't appear on this week's ToC. I presume that means no Bleach this week.
    plague has the worst timing EVER.
    a tiny space dedicated to a beloved grandpa now passed. may every lunch be peanut butter-banana sandwiches.
    i has 2/4 an internets.
    old avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

gnome_4ever:

18. - Top - End - #1158
    Banned

What was your original point again? Tracing back, all I'm finding is this:

Where you say that anything non-intelligent would have Hollowfied. Or at least dinosaurs, as that's the only "non-intelligent" creatures we had been talking about at that point. I'm presuming that isn't your original point, as it no longer stands.
    I was wrong about that. My original point though was that there are more than enough potential hollows to support the numbers required in Bleach.

19. - Top - End - #1159

Feb 18/issue #12's ToC is out; what does Kubo have to say?

"Higashimaru no shain-san kara kyarashiiru nado itadaita. Futsuu ni oubo****eru kara ureshii!"

He received chara seals from a Higashimaru employee. Because he usually... subscribes(?), he's happy about this!

Alright, so Higashimaru looks like it's a food product company (primarily soy sauce, but other stuff too). Chara seals look like these stickers of mascot characters. Presumably of characters found on this page: http://www.higashimaru.co.jp/product.../cm/index.html.

The verb in the second sentence literally means subscribe/apply, but that's throwing me off a bit. Perhaps it means that he's a frequent customer? Or would it make sense that a person can 'subscribe' to a food product company? That is, would it basically be some paid plan to get regular deliveries, or something?
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #1160

Yup, you can subscribe to fruit companies. I feel ashamed that I know this because of a sitcom, but I do infact know this as a thing you can do.

EDIT: Also Bleach chapter!

Chapter Spoilers:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bloodkai! All the blood! So yha, she's going to die, she's showing off all her cool things like Yamamoto. No idea what her bankai DOES though. Is it melty blood? I don't know.

...also, a revelation. Turns out she actually won their first fight. Impressive.

And she's dead Jim.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2013-02-13 at 02:50 AM.

21. - Top - End - #1161
    Titan in the Playground

I am so full of tears right now.

And the avatar is strangely appropriate, I guess.
    YouTube channel:

22. - Top - End - #1162
    Bugbear in the Playground

So... -my fears were WAY off.

Spoiler
    Show
    This is some serious Twilight-level creep going on here. Captain Mom went from theorized rage monster to child-grooming creepo-cougar.
    Last edited by Hadrian_Emrys; 2013-02-13 at 12:21 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Innis Cabal View Post
    Toho has retroactive powers of awesome. He makes things that he hasn't done, and have already happened, better by his existence
    Quote Originally Posted by Ganurath View Post
    If anything, the term should be What Would Toho Do?
    Of course, in all situations the answer is Be A Badass.

23. - Top - End - #1163
    Ettin in the Playground

Yup, you can subscribe to fruit companies. I feel ashamed that I know this because of a sitcom, but I do infact know this as a thing you can do.

EDIT: Also Bleach chapter!

Chapter Spoilers:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bloodkai! All the blood! So yha, she's going to die, she's showing off all her cool things like Yamamoto. No idea what her bankai DOES though. Is it melty blood? I don't know.

...also, a revelation. Turns out she actually won their first fight. Impressive.

And she's dead Jim.
    wait, what? I just visited mangashere, and I see absolutely no new chapter :-(

24. - Top - End - #1164
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Wonder if there is going to be a twist in here someplace.

25. - Top - End - #1165
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm not sure Kubo is willing to write off Unohana without actually explaining what the Bankai does. I guessing one more chapter for this fight.

And the avatar is strangely appropriate, I guess.
    Very
    Last edited by SlyGuyMcFly; 2013-02-13 at 08:02 AM.
    Truth resists simplicity.

26. - Top - End - #1166
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm wondering if Zaraki is going to prove Unohana wrong and also grow as a person a little by finding a way to not actually kill her. I would actually kind of like that.

As for this chapter... mixed feelings. I have no idea what Unohana's bankai did, which is sad. I like her creepy mother/lover relationship with Kenpachi, but I am once again tired by the fact that women in Bleach aren't allowed to excel unless there's a man around to do better. It wasn't always true, and I miss useful Rukia and hyper-competent Yoruichi and theoretically omnipotent Orihime, and having Unohana be all "oh but I can't be a sword god now that you're around, Zaraki" makes me sad again.

I know it's relatively minor, but still sad.
    If you like my thoughts, you'll love my writing. Visit me at www.mishahandman.com.

27. - Top - End - #1167
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Friv View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm wondering if Zaraki is going to prove Unohana wrong and also grow as a person a little by finding a way to not actually kill her. I would actually kind of like that.
    Spoiler
    Show
    This is the twist I am hoping for.

28. - Top - End - #1168
    Titan in the Playground

Welcome aboard the SS KenpachixKenpachi.

Maybe I should get an avatar like that.
    Last edited by Morph Bark; 2013-02-13 at 10:07 AM.
    YouTube channel:

29. - Top - End - #1169
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Spoiler
    Show
    Hm, Unohana having actually won and letting kenpachi live is nice, fits her blood Knight mentality. But if that's fight over now, it was...kinda anticlimatic for me.

30. - Top - End - #1170
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dscherro View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Hm, Unohana having actually won and letting kenpachi live is nice, fits her blood Knight mentality. But if that's fight over now, it was...kinda anticlimatic for me.
    Spoiler
    Show

What made you think this fight is over?
    Tarvek needs to die in a fire.