New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 39 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212237 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Tome of Radiance: Mastering the Power of Love and Justice

It all makes sense now! The 'Alien race' Kyubey talked about are actually devils of the nine circles, and they use the souls of the magical girls they damn to fuel the dark engine that keeps the universe going!
    Last edited by Sachiko-K; 2013-05-02 at 04:01 AM.

2. - Top - End - #332
    Troll in the Playground

Why am I being redeemed?

Jokes aside, I love this idea. I need to find a GM that will let me run a Magical Girl.

3. - Top - End - #333
    Bugbear in the Playground

I wouldn't suppose it'd be necessary to have a soul to have the soul sucked out?

4. - Top - End - #334

Quote Originally Posted by sreservoir View Post
    I wouldn't suppose it'd be necessary to have a soul to have the soul sucked out?
    That would be correct - I've added a line to that effect in the class proper, for clarity's sake.

A bit late, but changelog for today:

• Added the Redeemer of Nine Prestige Class! Infernal contracting for fun and profit - good, wholesome fun for the entire party. You know what they say about miracles: they happen all the time, and come with no strings attached!
    • Added the Carnage Barrier Foundation Component! Drawing strength from bloodshed is rather dire business, but it's hard to deny that any magical girl who enjoys a good scrap every now and then might find a use for this effect.
    • Added the Smiting Surge Shape component! With more negative surge effects than there used to be, there's room for an Imbue lookalike on the shape roster. It's still a bit niche compared to the utility of Bolts or the AoE of Pulses, but it has its uses.
    Lovely Rita Mordio avatar by Zefir! Thank you!

Homebrew:

5. - Top - End - #335

Oooh, Vile blast component... am I the only one drooling over the idea of Green Sun Nimbus Flare as a standard attack in GSP-Nanoha's arsenal?

6. - Top - End - #336
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by vasharanpaladin View Post
    Oooh, Vile blast component... am I the only one drooling over the idea of Green Sun Nimbus Flare as a standard attack in GSP-Nanoha's arsenal?
    Consumption Surge exists explicitly to emulate Cold Fire Desolation Brand and Flare is the child of Magnanimous Warning Glyph.

Man. There is a lot of Malfeas here.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

7. - Top - End - #337

Quote Originally Posted by Draken View Post
    Consumption Surge exists explicitly to emulate Cold Fire Desolation Brand and Flare is the child of Magnanimous Warning Glyph.

Ooh, didn't realize that! Malfean Champion archetype, go!

EDIT: Quickly, now! We need costume elements to pile together for Viridian Legend Exoskeleton and Devil Tyrant Avatar Shintai! And Vitriolic Corona Endowment!
    Last edited by vasharanpaladin; 2013-05-03 at 04:48 PM.

8. - Top - End - #338
    Ettin in the Playground

Ooh, didn't realize that! Malfean Champion archetype, go!

EDIT: Quickly, now! We need costume elements to pile together for Viridian Legend Exoskeleton
    Think that just the costume qualifies.

and Devil Tyrant Avatar Shintai!
    >>

I will finish that evoker/mutator prc one day.

And Vitriolic Corona Endowment!
    Think the device qualifies here, again.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

9. - Top - End - #339

...Yeah, you might be right on Viridian Legend Exoskeleton and Vitriolic Corona Endowment. What's needed for Devil Tyrant Avatar is an effect to gain size categories for Heavy costumes. @_@

10. - Top - End - #340
    Ettin in the Playground

So. Did I say there is too much Malfeas around? Oh yes, I did. Know what this class needs more of?

Ebon Dragon.

Night Devil

"With kindness comes naïveté. Courage becomes foolhardiness. And dedication has no reward. If you can't accept any of that, you are not fit to be a Magical Girl."
    - Homura Akemi, a Night Devil

The world is dark and dreadful place. At every corner awaits something or someone who would enjoy nothing less than breaking the innocent should they be able to. It is the duty of heroes everywhere to stop these forces from commiting their crimes, but far too often they can't get there fast enough.

Worse yet is when these heroines find themselves in the shoes of victims. They are changed by their ordeals, and not always for the better, they don't always come out of it stronger nor more resolute.

Sometimes they just break.

Prerequisites:
    To become a night devil, you must fulfill the following criteria.
    Skills: Bluff, Diplomacy or Intimidate 13 ranks.
    Illuminations: Evoker level 5th.
    Special: The character must have lost her innocence in a rather cruel and horrible fashion.

HD: d8
    Level BAB Fort Ref Will Features Illuminations
    1 +0 +0 +2 +0 Benighted Eyes, Cruelty, Power of Hatred, Sneak Attack +1d6 -
    2 +1 +0 +3 +0 Craven, Lying Shadow Feint +1 level of existing class
    3 +2 +1 +3 +1 Brooding in Shackled Resent, Sneak Attack +2d6 +1 level of existing class
    4 +3 +1 +4 +1 Cornered Shadow Strike +1 level of existing class
    5 +3 +1 +4 +1 Hollow-Hearted Venom, Sneak Attack +3d6 -
    Class Skills (8 + Int Modifier): Appraise (Int), Balance (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Disable Device (Int), Disguise (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Forgery (Int), Gather Information (Cha), Hide (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (local) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Open Lock (Dex), Perform (Cha), Profession (Wis), Search (Int), Sense Motive (Wis), Sleight of Hand (Dex), Spot (Wis), Swim (Str), Tumble (Dex), Use Magic Device (Cha), and Use Rope (Dex).

Spoiler
    Show
    This is the rogue skill list.

Proficiencies: The Night Devil gains no additional proficiencies.

Spoiler
    Show
    Why is this stuff mandatory anyway?

Benighted Eyes (Su): It is a dreadful ordeal that turns any magical girl into a night devil. This pain, misery and loss of innocence that snuffed out the radiance within her soul is forever stamped into her glare.
    At 1st level the night devil gains low-light vision and darkvision up to a maximum range of 60 feet. At 5th level, she becomes capable of seeing perfectly even in magical darkness.

Spoiler
    Show
    Witness to Darkness.

Cruelty (Su): Night devils have felt the horrors the world has to offer in their own flesh and came off of it all too glad to share these pains. Whenever she deals sneak attack damage, the night devil gains a number of motes equal to the number of extra dice of damage rolled. These motes can exceed her maximum capacity and may be used like any other motes. If they are not used before the beginning of the night devil’s next turn, the motes are lost.

Spoiler
    Show
    Selfishness is Power.

Power of Hatred (Ex): Night devils know friendship; they may even have kept their friends in spite of their ordeals, or worse, might have made them during those awful times. But making friends doesn’t come as easy for them anymore as it once did.
    The night devil may use the same mechanics employed by the Power of Friendship to instill anger and discord in others. The night devil may elect to instill a deep hatred against an individual, group, nation, species or anything really, effectively changing her target’s attitude towards the chosen recipients to hostile, this choice is made when the attempts start, and attempting to change from this goal to the goal of altering the target’s alignment causes all accrued successes to be lost (the opposite is also true, with all successes being lost if she tries to change from altering alignment to instilling hatred).
    As a final benefit, the night devil may use Bluff instead of diplomacy whenever she tries to modify the save DCs through persuasion.
    It’s not all roses however, and her own feelings get in the way of attempts to use the Power of Friendship to change her target’s alignment. The night devil always suffers a Jaded penalty of at least +2 on her checks to change her target’s alignment, and these penalties stack twice as fast.

Spoiler
    Show
    Golden years Tarnished Black.

Sneak Attack (Ex): This is exactly like the rogue ability of the same name. The extra damage dealt increases by +1d6 every other level (1st, 3rd and 5th). If a night devil gets a sneak attack bonus from another source the bonuses on damage stack.

Spoiler
    Show
    Life-Blighting Emptyness Attack... Or, well. Just sneak attack.

Craven: At 2nd level, the night devil gains craven as a bonus feat. Should the night devil ever gain the The Meaning of Courage class feature, she draws from her reserves of self-preservation and resent instead of from her inner bravery, long sacrificed along with her innocence.

Spoiler
    Show
    Uh... The craven feat? More LBEA.

Lying Shadow Feint (Su): Night devils detest losing, but they hate even more when others laugh at their failures. At 2nd level, whenever one of her illuminations fails to do it full effect (all targets succeed on their saves, the attack rolls miss, or bonuses to her armor class or saves do not result in success), the night devil can, as a free action, recover half of the motes spent on the illumination and add them to her mote pool until the beginning of her next turn.

Spoiler
    Show
    Kill Feint Cleverness.

Brooding in Shackled Resent (Su): The night devil has been in bondage in the past, she’s been in some rough spots, she hates nothing more than to relive these times. Starting at 3rd level, as an immediate action, the night devil may attempt to break free of any mind-affecting effect, any effect that limits her movement and any effect that has altered her personality (such as uses of The Power of Friendship or Mindrape), rolling a new save, resisted skill check, grapple check or simply ending the effect outright if it did not allow any save in the first place. For every turn that that the night devil has spent in such bondage, she gains a cumulative +1 bonus on this attempt to break free, with a maximum bonus equal to her character level. If the night devil fails her check, the bonus is reset.
    If the night devil successfully escapes her bonds with this ability, she gains a bonus on all attack and damage rolls against the creature responsible for the bondage equal to her class level for a number of rounds equal to the time she spent restrained.

Spoiler
    Show
    Brooding Resentment Defense.

Cornered Shadow Strike (Su): Driven against a corner, a magical girl will steel herself and make her stand there. A night devil won’t, she will scream and trash and lash out against her aggressors. Starting at 4th level, whenever the night devil is at half of her maximum hit points or less, she may use any illumination as an immediate action, by spending an additional 4 motes on it, even if those motes would put the total expenditure over her evoker level.

Spoiler
    Show
    Cornered Titan Desperation.

Hollow-Hearted Venom (Su): Only the most jaded soul achieves the heights of torment to unlock this power, this miserable girl can stain her hands and weapons with an ebon ichor oozing from the very wounds in her heart.
    Starting at 5th level, the night devil can pay five motes as a free action to activate this ability. Her next attack that would deal extra sneak attack damage instead inflicts one negative level for every die of damage that would be dealt. Damage from her craven feat is still applied as normal.

Spoiler
    Show
    Hollowing Echo Venom, Life-Denying Hate.
    Last edited by Draken; 2014-04-04 at 01:02 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

11. - Top - End - #341
    Titan in the Playground

ooooooh I hadn't even thought of this
    MALFEAS IS BEST
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

12. - Top - End - #342

...Dammit, Draken. I have enough problems when Xefas decides to deliberately translate Exalted. @_@

13. - Top - End - #343
    Pixie in the Playground

Ebon Dragon Stuff
    Okay, that's good and all... But do you know what this class really needs?

Adorjan.

Your mission, if you decide to accept it, is to put more Yandere in this class. I would do so myself, but I am too busy working on something very, very evil and very, very scary, and since my homebrewing experience is zero, it requires all of my attention to make sure that it is, at least, passable.

14. - Top - End - #344

Quote Originally Posted by Sachiko-K View Post

Theion
    Ftfy.

15. - Top - End - #345
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sachiko-K View Post

Adorjan.

Your mission, if you decide to accept it, is to put more Yandere in this class. I would do so myself, but I am too busy working on something very, very evil and very, very scary, and since my homebrewing experience is zero, it requires all of my attention to make sure that it is, at least, passable.
    Come back to me when my essays are in/a lost cause and I'll do PRC's and such for each yozi. =D
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.

16. - Top - End - #346
    Pixie in the Playground

I will gladly wait until the end of the world for such awesomeness to happen.

17. - Top - End - #347
    Ettin in the Playground

I want to see the Kimbery one.

Or, hell, Isodoros is totally a magical girl. Totally.
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

18. - Top - End - #348

... so if you make an effigy creature of yourself, and then magic jar into it, and then ... somehow make that permanent, I guess would need to be a thing.

hm how to

19. - Top - End - #349

Quote Originally Posted by People
    Yozis
    There is a Cecelyne PrC in the works. Maybe a She Who Lives In Her Name one... eventually, but I won't be calling dibs on that one because it resided in the nebulous realm of "Maybe, eventually, at some point". The ball is in Draken's court with regards to mutagenic goodness, but from what I've seen of what he has so far, it ought to be good for Devil-Tyrant Shintai and then some.

At the moment though, I'm focusing on something a little different and non-yozi-related that I have been poking together for far too long. I'd say more, but I'm hoping to have it out tomorrow, so I think the surprise can wait a wee bit longer.

Also,
    • Night Devil Prestige Class added!

Of course, everyone knew that, but I feel compelled to put it in a little changelog bullet anyway to signify its transference to the front page.

Homebrew:

20. - Top - End - #350

Nonono, what we need now is Universe Emperor or Scintillant Messenger Shintai. A magical girl who channels the Empyreal Chaos, for the win.

EDIT: Okay, I'm on it. Give me a few hours, or a week or two.
    Last edited by vasharanpaladin; 2013-05-07 at 02:02 PM.

21. - Top - End - #351

EDIT: Okay, I'm on it. Give me a few hours, or a week or two.
    The proper terminology is 'Soon'. In fact, whenever I give precise timetables for something, you can probably just assume I am inadvertently lying. Future Me is kind of bad about that, you shouldn't listen to her if you can help it.

Current Me, however, has a changelog!

• Radiant Eruption Alternate Class Feature added!
    • Power of Friendship Alternate Class Feature added!
    • Luminous Spirit Alternate Class Feature added!

...now, you may notice something odd about these ACFs. Namely, they aren't for ToR classes! This is the start of a project (which will probably take quite some time) to create Evoker-themed Alternate Class Features for non-evoker classes. As proud as I am of the Empath, Stargazer, and Champion, they're only three classes - Evoker ACFs let other classes taste some of the flavor and core mechanics of the Tome of Radiance, without playing a full-blown evoker.

Here, the Radiant Eruption ACF trades out a barbarian's signature rampage of destruction for an equally-exhausting but somewhat more nuanced boost. A radiant eruption loses out in endurance and raw stopping power compared to its mundane cousin, but can more than make up for it with increased flexibility and versatility, and has enormous power in its own right if you manage to boost the barbarian with the right surges at the right times.

Bards are arguably the greatest face-men, persuaders, and diplomats in the entire system - and certainly they're the most iconic. While, like many casters, it is difficult to tinker with the core mechanics of the Bard (their power lies more in their subsystem than their class features), it is a simple thing for one to trade some of their famous powers of magical persuasion for a somewhat more insidious approach. Left to their own devices, a bard could potentially uplift (or corrupt ) entire settlements with their performances - just don't expect the local authorities to take such 'social engineering' lying down for long!

Monks are... tough to tinker with, because they're so bad. ACFs are supposed to be balanced against what they're replacing, after all. A monk possessing a Luminous Spirit isn't going to be a powerhouse, but she possess a not-insignificant array of potent stances that scale neatly with her level. Potentially slipping into flight, DR, or other useful effects, a radiant monk has the potential to take on differing roles in the span of a single combat, while still holding true to the combat styles and signiture abilities that make the monk stand out.

I'm kind of experimenting all over the place with these ACFs, so comments and criticism are particularly welcome here.

Homebrew:

22. - Top - End - #352
    Troll in the Playground

I've grown bored, and so I'm taking some time out to build Naruto as a Magical Girl.

Why, you may ask? Because the other option was Megaman and Naruto is more hilarious to imagine in a dress declaring how in the name of Konoha, he will punish you!

I am curious to know if we'll be getting more Dark Magical Girl support in the near future. Other, of course, than just putting Evil on our character sheet.

23. - Top - End - #353

Quote Originally Posted by NineThePuma View Post
    I've grown bored, and so I'm taking some time out to build Naruto as a Magical Girl.

Why, you may ask? Because the other option was Megaman and Naruto is more hilarious to imagine in a dress declaring how in the name of Konoha, he will punish you!

I am curious to know if we'll be getting more Dark Magical Girl support in the near future. Other, of course, than just putting Evil on our character sheet.
    I know next to nothing of that particular variety of ninjas, but from what I understand, the breadth of shenanigans the orange-suited gentleman and his compatriots are capable of is quite impressive.

As for dark magical girl materials, there is definitely more planned for them! I tend to bounce around from theme to theme (mostly because I get bogged down and unproductive if I let myself get roadblocked by a problem putting something together), but there is quite a bit of content at some stage of development for jaded/amoral/outright evil evokers. I'm tossing things out as I finish them, more or less, though I do make an effort to try and hit subjects people are interested in.

Homebrew:

24. - Top - End - #354
    Troll in the Playground

Well, the last time Dark Magical Girls came up was on page 2, though I'll admit that the Dire Radiance Update and related features has sort of been in favor of Dark Magical Girls.

25. - Top - End - #355
    Ettin in the Playground

Dark Magical Girls are the whole point of the Night Devil, Puma. =|
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

26. - Top - End - #356

Quote Originally Posted by Selinia View Post
    The proper terminology is 'Soon'. In fact, whenever I give precise timetables for something, you can probably just assume I am inadvertently lying. Future Me is kind of bad about that, you shouldn't listen to her if you can help it.
    To be fair, I usually am pretty good about getting things done with a deadline. Most of my issue here will be finding appropriate prerequisites for the path from "Sankt Kaiser" to "Rightful Sovereign of All That Exists."

27. - Top - End - #357
    Titan in the Playground

I would like to play a radiant barbarian. This would be fun.

My essays are done. It's 3am. PrCs will come.
    MALFEAS IS BEST.

28. - Top - End - #358
    Troll in the Playground

Dark Magical Girls are the whole point of the Night Devil, Puma. =|
    With all due respect, it looked like it was a random Exalted Inspired thing, and as a general rule, I find Exalted Inspired Stuff to be boring and uninteresting, and my usual GMs disallow such content anyway. I didn't even read the class, because I'm not going to be using it, my GMs wouldn't let me use it if I wanted it, and those two combined to make me prone to not consider it part of the core project.

29. - Top - End - #359

Quote Originally Posted by NineThePuma View Post
    With all due respect, it looked like it was a random Exalted Inspired thing, and as a general rule, I find Exalted Inspired Stuff to be boring and uninteresting, and my usual GMs disallow such content anyway. I didn't even read the class, because I'm not going to be using it, my GMs wouldn't let me use it if I wanted it, and those two combined to make me prone to not consider it part of the core project.
    Bad news, then: It's got a link on the front page and thus IS part of the core project, no matter how much you wish otherwise.

30. - Top - End - #360
    Troll in the Playground

Which doesn't touch on ANY OTHER ASPECT OF MY POST.