New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 39 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Tome of Radiance: Mastering the Power of Love and Justice

Can you full attack with an assault blast?
    Thought of the Week: "Bright is the nova confined in the dark."
    =I= ONLY A FOOL CLAIMS TO KNOW EVERYTHING BUT FEAR NOTHING =I=

2. - Top - End - #422
    Titan in the Playground

Yes, that's p much the point of attack actions, but remember the line Jamieth had to tell me two lines ago
    Regardless of the number of motes or actions available, an evoker may only use spend a number of motes up to her evoker level on illuminations of a given base type (Blasts, Barriers, and Surges) in a round.
    So, if you're level 10 and can make three attacks, you could use Assault illuminations as one, two, or three of those attacks, as long as their total cost was 10m or less.
    (So, assuming Power, you could do a 10d6 and two mundane attacks, two 5d6s and one mundane, one 4d6 and two 3d6s, or whatever combination you liked. You could even, as far as I know, do 3d6 on each and save 1d6 for an AoO.)
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

3. - Top - End - #423
    Titan in the Playground

Looking over all the previous conversation, I think Assault could use some clarification here.

The essential question is, what is meant by an attack action?

Previously, it has been stated that
    1) Martial Strikes do not count, as they are not attack actions, but rather standard actions that typically grant attacks.
    2) Charges do count.

Here's the thing though- this is contradictory. First, a charge is not an attack action. By strict interpretation, 'attack action' indicates only one kind of action- a standard action used to make an attack. That's the Attack Action listed in the books. Charge on the other hand is listed among the special attacks alongside such things as Turn Undead and Bull Rush. It is not an Attack Action, nor does it grant one in its effects- like a maneuver, it is a special kind of action that grants an attack.

A full round attack is similarly listed as a separate kind of action, so the question comes up on that front too. It isn't THE attack action. Some sort of argument might be fronted that it is a kind of attack action, but by a strict reading, it is not the kind of wording that the ability would indicate.

In terms of intent though, I'm not nearly as sure what is going on. Is Assault only meant to work on standard action attacks? That doesn't quite seem right- Imbue has a massive advantage over it if that is the case, even if you do have to spend an extra action. And if that were the intent, then it wouldn't work with Charge either. If it is meant to work on Charge and Full Attacks though, the ability needs some clarification and rewriting... especially if it is meant to exclude things like martial strikes. You'd basically need to call out the specific things it would work with.
    Last edited by AmberVael; 2013-07-04 at 07:36 PM.

4. - Top - End - #424
    Titan in the Playground

I generally encounter attack actions in homebrew as 'the amount of time it takes to make a single attack'.
    This would mean that a charge contains one, a standard attack one, a full attack several - but also that most martial strikes would include one.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.

5. - Top - End - #425
    Ettin in the Playground

Generally speaking, "attack actions" are what 4ed codified as basic attacks. It is a terminology that really could do with some unified definition for those homebrewers who use it.

I tend to use "attack action" to mean any melee or ranged attack, personally, the source of said attack notwithstanding (standard action, charge, full-round attack, attack of opportunity, free action flurry of blows, swift action maneuver, etc...).
    Last edited by Draken; 2013-07-04 at 08:36 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

6. - Top - End - #426
    Titan in the Playground

...the costume table lists Champion, Empath, and Zodiac, rather than Stargazer...

7. - Top - End - #427
    Titan in the Playground

I remember in the first thread of this project, I was introduced to Lyrical Nanoha, and told that the best start would be the movie rather than the first season. I've already watched through the full series by now, of course, but for purposes of showing other people, is Movie 2nd A's better or worse than the 2nd season? I looked at it, and it seems to change quite a bit - the big question is whether that's enough to make it not flow into StrikerS well enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

8. - Top - End - #428
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, from what I can say, by now the movies are in a continuity of their own, and the third one would be an original story rather than retelling StrikerS, so, I assume... unlikely.
    Tome of Radiance, a Magical Girl sourcebook for 3.5/PF.

"Jamie" is fine. TH is mostly there to make sure the name would be free on any forum I'd want to register :-)

Extended signature

9. - Top - End - #429
    Troll in the Playground

The movies do okay at showing the rough story of what happened. That they're essentially condensing 26+ episodes into about 2 hours and makin the story still work is a sign that the movies are a good example.

10. - Top - End - #430
    Titan in the Playground

A few things I've noticed and wondered about while reading illuminations-

Some of the options for barriers mention using barriers to target someone rather than making an area... but there is no shape that does this. Is this an artifact of previous versions, or a hint of something that is intended to be there later?

For barricades barriers... if you want to pass through, you can pass through. If you don't want to pass through, you don't have to pass through. But what happens if something is inanimate? Does an object pass through or not? If stab through the barrier with a spear, is that fine? What about if I try and use a barricade as an umbrella- will I get soaked if I haven't spent 12 motes on it? And would it deflect hail just the same as the rain? What about falling boulders?

Assuming that you can use an assault illumination in a full attack, if I hit someone with a flare invocation on my first attack, then hit them with an iterative attack, does that trigger the flare? It is in the same action as the attack, though logically it would seem to be a different source of damage, since it is a distinct attack.

Edit: Also something on personas- for The Magician, you can create items. And there's a DC limitation, and a duration limitation which I can see. On the other hand... I can't see any kind of size limitation.
    ...is there anything preventing me from making Instant Palace, Just Add Empath?

Oh, and there isn't actually any wording that indicates that an Empath can change their illuminations.
    Last edited by AmberVael; 2013-07-07 at 03:15 PM.

11. - Top - End - #431
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

For Illumination progression PrC's, does the Empath's aspect selection increase as well? I would assume that it progresses since the personas known does so, but it could probably use a little clarification.

12. - Top - End - #432
    Firbolg in the Playground

A question about the soulbond Heart's Whisper feats. Does the increased telepathy range benefit both partners? Because it would kinda suck if you couldn't reply to messages sent.
    Avatar of Furude Setsuna, by Telasi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mephit View Post
    Don't worry, I like my characters the way I like my coffee: Strong, but with no cheese in it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Akagi
    Don't hesitate to tell the people you care about the feelings you have for them, because they may not be there tomorrow.

13. - Top - End - #433
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    I remember in the first thread of this project, I was introduced to Lyrical Nanoha, and told that the best start would be the movie rather than the first season. I've already watched through the full series by now, of course, but for purposes of showing other people, is Movie 2nd A's better or worse than the 2nd season? I looked at it, and it seems to change quite a bit - the big question is whether that's enough to make it not flow into StrikerS well enough.
    The thing to remember about the movies is that they are the in universe movies of the main casts life. I kid you not.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

14. - Top - End - #434
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonus45 View Post
    The thing to remember about the movies is that they are the in universe movies of the main casts life. I kid you not.
    ...are they? Oh. That certainly explains much... like, the complete lack of mention of a certain admiral's involvement in the A's movie. Must be confidential information, in-universe.
    In other news, I'm thinking of brewing something radiant-based for this contest, with Selinia's permission.

upd: something I never was able to remember... which of the following increases whan you take an Illumination-increasing level in a PrC?
    Evoker level (and, therefore, Illumination save DCs)
    Mote pool
    Max cost of a single Illumination
    Illuminations known/readied
    Empath's number of Personas
    Empath's number of Illumiantion per Persona
    Empath's number of Innate Illuminations?

Also, does Empath qualify for PrCs only by her natural (low) BAB?
    Last edited by jamieth; 2013-07-10 at 01:46 AM.
    Tome of Radiance, a Magical Girl sourcebook for 3.5/PF.

"Jamie" is fine. TH is mostly there to make sure the name would be free on any forum I'd want to register :-)

Extended signature

15. - Top - End - #435
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    In other news, I'm thinking of brewing something radiant-based for this contest, with Selinia's permission.
    I've got a radiant-based PrC planned and written up for the PrC contest as well. Just waiting on Selinia to get back to me regarding permission. Hopefully we didn't choose the same concept.

upd: something I never was able to remember... which of the following increases whan you take an Illumination-increasing level in a PrC?
    Evoker level (and, therefore, Illumination save DCs)
    Mote pool
    Max cost of a single Illumination
    Illuminations known/readied
    Empath's number of Personas
    Empath's number of Illumiantion per Persona
    Empath's number of Innate Illuminations?
    I believe it's a yes to all of those. The only thing I'm not sure about is if it increases the aspects available via Manifest Persona.

16. - Top - End - #436
    Titan in the Playground

Is there a way to increase the radius of a Bombs Illumination?
    I don't see one, although I expect it's because of how nasty it could be...
    What I might suggest is to let you double the radius by adding 1m/rank to the cost.

So for 6m, you could get three ranks of 5ft radius or two ranks of 10ft radius.

Also, the 'multiple evoker classes' thing might need clarification for gestalt. If you take champion//stargazer 10, as written you have Evoker Level 15.
    ...what might be nice is if it DOES stack like that for your mote pool, but not for anything else.

Further, it is impossible to craft or evoke any illumination with a cost of less than 1m. Any illumination with a lower mote cost must select components to raise its cost until it reaches a positive value.
    This is said twice. once at the end of the fourth paragraph of that sentence, and once at the end of the fifth...
    Last edited by Lix Lorn; 2013-07-14 at 04:49 AM.

17. - Top - End - #437
    Troll in the Playground

I have -too many ideas- and need to get my thought space cleared so that I can work on one project.

Are there any plans to bring something along the lines of the Old Dark Magical Girl into the Tome of Radiance?

18. - Top - End - #438
    Titan in the Playground

This is pretty much the opposite of a DMG, but I wrote it, so you're gonna like it anyway. >: (
    I hope.

Shining Princess
    ‘There are many paths to the light.’

Background: Most evokers come to it naturally, finding themselves on one of many paths without ever realising it, and generally not realising it’s a path – let alone that there are others. Only a rare few see the other ways, and only a fraction travel on more than one – and only a fraction of them travel on all three.
    Races: The light is blind to race.
    Other Classes: While many races can consider the power of the light to be childish or naïve, the grace of the Shining Princess is inarguable even to them.
    Role: A Shining Princess is without compare as an evoker of varying skills.
    Shining Princesses in the World: A Shining Princess often ends up in a position of authority, growing into it quickly. Until then, they are often found adventuring, combating darkness wherever it is found.
    Inspiration: Evoke ALL the things.

Prerequisites
    Class Features: Any one of: Limit Boost (6 Charges), Complex Formula (2, +3), Changing Heart (Two)
    Evoking: Ability to evoke illuminations as a Champion, an Empath, and a Stargazer.

Hit Die: d8
    Class Skills-The Shining Princess has walked many paths. She treats all skills as class skills.
    Skill Points per Level: 4 + Int Modifier

Level Base Attack Bonus Fort Save Ref Save Will Save
    Special
    Illumination
    1st
    +0
    +0
    +0
    +2
    Radiant Unity -
    2nd
    +1
    +0
    +0
    +3
    Luminous Reservoir (+3m) +1 level of existing class
    3rd
    +2
    +1
    +1
    +3
    Cartridges (+1), Shining Unity +1 level of existing class
    4th
    +3
    +1
    +1
    +4
    Complex Formula (+0, +1) +1 level of existing class
    5th
    +3
    +1
    +1
    +4
    Luminous Reservoir (+6m) +1 level of existing class
    6th
    +4
    +2
    +2
    +5
    Limit Mode, Shining Unity, Armament Effect -
    7th
    +5
    +2
    +2
    +5
    Cartridges (+2) +1 level of existing class
    8th
    +6
    +2
    +2
    +6
    Luminous Reservoir (+9m) +1 level of existing class
    9th
    +6
    +3
    +3
    +6
    Complex Formula (+1, +2) , Shining Unity +1 level of existing class
    10th
    +7
    +3
    +3
    +7
    Queen of Light +1 level of existing class

Weapon and Armour Proficiency: The Shining Princess gains no new weapon or armor proficiencies.

Illuminations: At each level, apart from 1st and 6th level, the Princess adds one to her evoker level. These levels also count as Empath levels for the purpose of obtaining new personas and more powerful aspects, but not their persona capacity. These levels also count as Champion levels for determining how powerful the Princess' Limit Boost ability is, which can grant them the ability if they don't have it yet.

Radiant Unity: A Shining Princess has been a glorious champion, a thoughtful Stargazer, and, most fittingly, worn the many lives of the Empath. They have transcended them all, as a true hero of light.

The Shining Princess has a single Evoker Level, which is the sum of all of her evoker levels, to a maximum of her character level. This supersedes the usual evoker level stacking rules. Whenever an ability refers to a Champion, Stargazer, or Empath class level, instead use this Evoker level.

They have a single illumination list, containing as many illuminations as gained from stargazer levels, champion levels, and innate illuminations added together. Evoker levels from Shining Princess grant new illuminations as if levels in Stargazer. Personae have their own illuminations, as normal. Levels in Shining Princess count as Empath levels for Aspects that would increase their BAB to equal to that of a fighter, or increase their fortitude or reflex saves to good.
    When crafting illuminations, the Shining Princess may access any components.
    Her illuminations always use the highest of her mental abilities to calculate their effect.

The Shining Princess retains all three of her devices and costumes. Magical enhancements, whether from gold, class features, or any other means apply to all three of them equally, as long as applicable.

Explanations
    Spoiler
    Show
    For a Champion 8/Stargazer 1/Empath 1/Shining Princess 2, they possess an evoker level of 11.
    In a gestalt game, their evoker level remains capped at their character level. However, each second evoker level they would gain past this cap increases the size of their mote pool by two.

Luminous Reservoir: At 2nd level, and each third level thereafter, the Shining Princess adds three to the size of her Luminous Reservoir, or gains the Luminous Reservoir ability with a size of 3m if she did not possess it.

Cartridges: At 3rd level, and each fourth level thereafter, the Shining Princess gains an additional cartridge, or gains the Cartridge ability if she did not possess it.

Shining Unity: At 3rd level, the Shining Princess learns how to better combine the paths of the light. She chooses one of the following abilities. At 6th level, she chooses a second, and at 9th gains the third.

Luminous Enhancement
    Whenever you use a Cartridge Boost effect, you may also invest up to (half shining princess level) motes from your Luminous Reservoir to that costume feature, to a maximum limit of (shining princess level) more than your standard investment limit. The motes remain invested until the end of the encounter.

Aspect Charging
    You may use a Cartridge to hyper-charge a persona, increasing numerical qualities in its aspect by 50% until the end of the encounter. (Including skill bonuses, number of links for the Lovers, size of healing for the Empress…)

Aspect Formula
    For each persona you possess, you may craft a Complex Formula, exactly as the Stargazer ability. Each Complex Formula is tied to the persona that created it, and only they may use it. This ability may not be chosen if you cannot form a Complex Formula.

Complex Forumula: At 4th level, and each fifth level thereafter, the Shining Princess increases her Complex Formula as if she had gained four stargazer levels. If she does not possess Complex Formula, she gains it as a 1st level Stargazer, and then increases it as normal each fifth level thereafter. The table shows the benefits gained by a Shining Princess with Complex Formula (1, +1) on entry.

Armament Effect: At 6th level, the Shining Princess may select a new Armament effect.

If extended past tenth level, she gains another Armament Effect at level 11, and each fifth level thereafter.

Queen of Light: At 10th level, a Shining Princess is a queen among the followers of the light, an avatar of radiant power. She forevermore becomes a Native Outsider with one alignment subtype of her choice and an Augmented subtype pertaining to her previous type, with all the traits that implies. Further, she can no longer be aged by any means mundane or magical, and will never die of old age.

In addition, she gains a +5 morale bonus on social* (Bluff, Diplomacy, Gather Information, Intimidate, Sense Motive) rolls made against evokers, or groups made up primarily of evokers.

Finally, she may choose a single class feature from level 15 or below in the Champion or Stargazer class that she does not possess*, and gain it. She may instead increase her Persona Capacity by one.
    (She could choose Shining Schemata or Grace of Aeons from Stargazer, or Mettle or the Meaning of Courage from Champion. She could not choose Font of Life, since it requires level 18, or increase her Luminous Reservoir, since she already possesses it.)
    Last edited by Lix Lorn; 2015-07-28 at 12:30 PM.

19. - Top - End - #439
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

I like it as it gives an option for those who want every evoker option.

20. - Top - End - #440
    Troll in the Playground

You know, it occurs to me.

Can a warforged wear a costume? Or does its composite plating count as a costume?

21. - Top - End - #441

Quote Originally Posted by NineThePuma View Post
    You know, it occurs to me.

Can a warforged wear a costume? Or does its composite plating count as a costume?
    Sounds like a job for a racial feat!

Hardlight Body
    Prerequisites: Warforged, evoker level 1st, must be taken at 1st level
    Benefit: Rather than the composite plating common to warforged, your body is plated with panels of solid light. This hardlight armor provides a +2 armor bonus to AC, with no max Dex, skill check penalties or chance of arcane spell failure. You can commit motes and add costume effects to your hardlight armor as if it were your costume. While you have motes committed in this way, your hardlight armor's AC bonus also applies to your touch AC.

22. - Top - End - #442
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by vasharanpaladin View Post
    Sounds like a job for a racial feat!

Hardlight Body
    Prerequisites: Warforged, evoker level 1st, must be taken at 1st level
    Benefit: Rather than the composite plating common to warforged, your body is plated with panels of solid light. This hardlight armor provides a +2 armor bonus to AC, with no max Dex, skill check penalties or chance of arcane spell failure. You can commit motes and add costume effects to your hardlight armor as if it were your costume. While you have motes committed in this way, your hardlight armor's AC bonus also applies to your touch AC.
    Mandatory feats that honestly don't do anything are a poor idea. This would be better served by a racial substitution level.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

23. - Top - End - #443

Quote Originally Posted by Draken View Post
    Mandatory feats that honestly don't do anything are a poor idea. This would be better served by a racial substitution level.
    Aww, but warforged "Body" feats are traditional!

24. - Top - End - #444
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

I think that something along the lines of the Warforged Sentai ACF would be more appropriate, where the normal form is the costume and their alter ego is someone else.

25. - Top - End - #445
    Troll in the Playground

Honestly, a racial feat would have to be -worth a feat- in addition to giving some sort of "costume plating" and is additionally not very open to alternative builds or fluff based builds that start being an evoker after the first couple levels.

26. - Top - End - #446

Honestly, a racial feat would have to be -worth a feat- in addition to giving some sort of "costume plating" and is additionally not very open to alternative builds or fluff based builds that start being an evoker after the first couple levels.
    I'd like to point out that it was literally written up on the spot and I'd like to think it's fairly decent considering that and that, again, "Body" feats are traditional with subsystems (at least, those that bother thinking about warforged), so how about we stop complaining and actually go about fixing it, hm?

That, or you can go flip a fork, that works too.

27. - Top - End - #447
    Troll in the Playground

The only subsystem that got a stand alone body feat was Psionics. (And druid magics, but we don't count that)
    Last edited by NineThePuma; 2013-07-15 at 12:40 PM.

28. - Top - End - #448

The only subsystem that got a stand alone body feat was Psionics. (And druid magics, but we don't count that)
    Read: "When warforged are even considered." Note that Psiforged Body is in an EBERRON book, thus mention of psionics there prompts attention to warforged.

Here on the forums we have, at the least, Rageforged (barbarian rage) and Soulforged Body (incarnum). That's three, the rule is satisfied, ergo subsystem goes hand in hand with warforged "body" feat.

On the other hand, this is a 3.x project, so regardless of whether my insane logic or lack thereof is followed I'll never be able to use this.

29. - Top - End - #449
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by vasharanpaladin View Post
    On the other hand, this is a 3.x project, so regardless of whether my insane logic or lack thereof is followed I'll never be able to use this.
    Then why are you even in this thread?

30. - Top - End - #450

Then why are you even in this thread?
    Ask me no questions, lest you find the answers too horrible to bear.