New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 31 of 39 FirstFirst ... 621222324252627282930313233343536373839 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #901
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Tome of Radiance: Mastering the Power of Love and Justice

Quote Originally Posted by caledscratcher View Post
    Constellation-Touched:
    Humans who have had the stars smile down upon them, the constellation-touched are powerfully adaptable.
    • No ability score modifiers.
    • 30 foot land speed.
    • Medium Humanoid (Human, Radiant).
    • Innate Motes: Constellation-touched innately have two motes, so a class-based mote pool has a maximum limit of two greater than normal.
    • Radiant Adaptability: Each morning, the constellation-touched can give up a number of motes equal to half her Evoker level (minimum 1) to gain a bonus feat for which she meets the prerequisites for that day.
    • Favored Class: Stargazer.
    • LA +0.
    is basically strictly better than human at everything other than making a contract and becoming a magical girl ...

(there aren't that many cases where an extra skill or the ability dip exactly one class to a lower level than your highest-level class outweigh pick a feat in the morning. losing half your motes, though, is kind of a drawback)

2. - Top - End - #902
    Dwarf in the Playground

Alright, I've changed radiant adaptability to be a bit better. If there are other problems (I was a bit confused), please let me know. I'm a lot more used to Pathfinder brewing than 3.5e, regrettably. EDIt: Alright, nerfed them a bit more. Hopefully this works.
    Last edited by caledscratcher; 2014-04-06 at 07:55 PM.

3. - Top - End - #903
    Titan in the Playground

I like the races! Think the Constellation-Touched got over-nerfed. -1 AC or -2 con would either be good, both is overkill.

Anyway... I have my iconic Empath. :)
    Presenting Mira of many faces, at levels
    One
    Seven
    Twelve
    And just to finish her story, Seventeen.

(Level seventeen she has become scary. A decent part of the scary comes from the Might Surge, which gives +12 Dex constantly as long as she can spare a swift action every six actions.)
    Last edited by Lix Lorn; 2014-04-06 at 08:28 PM.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

4. - Top - End - #904
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm not so sure I like mascot as a legitimate race as it tacitly cuts out a pretty hefty chunk of animals from being mascots. Obviously for the sake of a player who wanted to play a mascot it'd be necessary, but wouldn't most of the time the mascot be a DM tool?
    There was something here and in the avatar box, and there will eventually be again. I just need to figure out what I want...

5. - Top - End - #905
    Ettin in the Playground

I started uploading the iconics to the wiki; so far done with Janna and two lesser forms of Mira. And trust me, the evokers have one heck of a statblock - empaths doubly so :-)

PDF progress might be slow for a while, unfortunately...
    Tome of Radiance, a Magical Girl sourcebook for 3.5/PF.

"Jamie" is fine. TH is mostly there to make sure the name would be free on any forum I'd want to register :-)

Extended signature

6. - Top - End - #906
    Titan in the Playground

So... I rewrote the Dark Magical Girl from the original class to fit with the new rules. A few things changed, but largely it's just copy paste, and so mostly Sel's work.

Fallen Star

"You say you know no sadness? How can you look at me like that and still say that?"
    -Fate, a dark magical girl

The wielders of light are defined by innocence. Their eyes view the world with joy and wonder, seeing every pain and sorrow as something to ease, every evil as a foe to fight. The are the purest crusaders of goodness and light in the world, and for most, that worldview is unshakable. But on those rare and terrible occasions in which that innocence is lost, they fall hard. For most, realizations of the hardships of the world are a fact of life - for the champions of light, each one is another pebble in an avalanche that slowly buries their entire worldview.

Some of these fallen heroes wield a power all their own - the power of their hurt and loss, and their anger at the treason of the world. Lost and uprooted, they are warriors whose reason to fight has been stripped away. Seldom is their new one half so wholesome.

Requirements
    To become a Fallen Star, you must fulfill all the following criteria.
    Base Attack Bonus: +4
    Evoker Level: At least three.
    Special: Must have the Power of Friendship class feature.
    Special: When confronted by the 'true' nature of reality, and unable to find a way to keep going, you broke down.

Class Skill List:Balance (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Concentration (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Gather Information (Cha), Handle Animal (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Heal (Wis), Jump (Str), Perform (Cha), Ride (Dex), Sense Motive (Wis), Sleight of Hand (Dex), Tumble (Dex), Use Magic Device (Cha)
    Skill Points at Each Level: 4 + Int modifier.

Fallen Star
    Hit Dice: d8

Level Base Attack Bonus Fort Save Ref Save Will Save
    Special
    1st
    +1
    +0
    +2
    +2
    Memories of Light, Rage of Tears, Shining Fragments, Suppress Emotions
    2nd
    +2
    +0
    +3
    +3
    Bleak Revelation: Denial
    3rd
    +3
    +1
    +3
    +3
    Numbed Body
    4th
    +4
    +1
    +4
    +4
    Bleak Revelation: Anger
    5th
    +5
    +1
    +4
    +4
    Ravaged Mind
    6th
    +6
    +2
    +5
    +5
    Bleak Revelation: Bargaining
    7th
    +7
    +2
    +5
    +5
    Deadened Heart
    8th
    +8
    +2
    +6
    +6
    Bleak Revelation: Denial
    9th
    +9
    +3
    +6
    +6
    Lost Spirit
    10th
    +10
    +3
    +7
    +7
    Bleak Revelation: Acceptance

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A Fallen Star gains no proficiency with any weapon or armor.

Memories of Light: The radiance of the light does not forsake its champions, even when they have forgotten all they used to know of hope and innocence. It does not, however, grow more potent.
    A Fallen Star retains access to their radiant armaments and to their illuminations, and they continue to enhance in power as she grows. They add their levels in Fallen Star to their evoker level, and to any one of their existing evoking classes to determine their Imbuements. They do not gain additional Illuminations known or readied, personae, or other class-dependent benefits.

Rage of Tears: For a Fallen Star, fury and sadness are one and the same. She put her whole being into protecting the world, into fighting for goodness and light – and the world paid her back with the cruel joke of the impossibility of their task. So she does the only thing she can: lash out, with all her pain and hurt.

As a free action that can only be taken during her turn, a Fallen Star can fly into a rage of tears. While in this state, the corrupted radiance of her anger and pain grants several benefits. Firstly, it provides a +4 bonus to her evoker stat, and a +2 bonus to Strength and to Dexterity. In addition, she may use her evoker stat modifier on attack rolls, instead of Strength or Dexterity, and may add it to her damage rolls. Finally, she may treat her base attack bonus from evoker classes as being equal to her evoker level, including any iterative attacks. However, the depths of negativity that provide the Rage of Tears make it impossible for the Fallen Star to use Illuminations, although they may still make use of an Implement device or a Resplendent Armament Effect.

A Fallen Star’s rage of tears lasts for a number of rounds equal to her (newly improved) evoker stat modifier, although she may end her rage early as a swift action, and her rage automatically ends at the end of an encounter, regardless of how many rounds are remaining, and she may not enter a rage of tears outside of combat.
    She may enter her rage only once per encounter, but there is no limit to how many times she can enter it per day. When her rage ends for any reason, there are several effects. Firstly, her mote pool is always returned to its normal maximum size, and it is completely refilled, excepting any currently invested motes. The difference between your mote pool's maximum size and the number of motes it contained before ending your rage is often used to calculate the power of Revelation abilities, which are described in their own section.
    Finally, when her fury expends itself, it leaves her a sobbing emotional wreck. For the remainder of the encounter, she takes a -2 penalty to attack rolls, damage rolls, saves, and ability and skill checks.

Shining Fragments: While a Fallen Star may still manipulate the power of the light, it is difficult for them, both magically and emotionally. Whenever they use an illumination, they temporarily lower the maximum size of their mote pool by half the Illumination's cost. Their mote pool returns to normal size at a rate of one mote per minute, or through the motegain given by their Rage of Tears. The reduced size of their motepool does not effect the illuminations they can use, except by whether they can afford them, and it has no effect on invested motes, which continue to function.

As a side benefit, a Fallen Star often finds herself with too few motes to use their Illuminations at full power. They may invoke Illuminations with a higher mote cost than their current supply, but must remove components to lower its mote cost to a level they can afford. Their foundation component is also lowered to match the new cost. They may not add new or different ranks.

Suppress Emotions (Ex): Many Fallen Stars learn to cope with their emotions by suppressing them. While this does temporarily alleviate the pain, it does nothing to help their mental stability and comes with consequences of its own. As a swift action, while in rage of tears, the Fallen Star may choose to suppress her emotions. While doing so she gains none of the normal benefits from being in her rage of tears, instead taking a -2 penalty to their evoker stat and gaining a +1 bonus to will saves.

Each turn she begins while suppressing her emotions increases the number of remaining rounds in her rage of tears by 1, rather than reducing it. While suppressing her emotions, a Fallen Star's motes bleed away - and the seething, bottled feelings amplify the inevitable eruption. If she begins her turn with her emotions suppressed, a Fallen Star loses motes equal to a quarter her evoker level. She may not channel any of her bleak revelations while suppressing her emotions, although she can use her illuminations. Ceasing to suppress her emotions is a swift action.

Bleak Revelation (Ex): A Fallen Star’s heart is a raw and battered thing – once broken, it now wallows in a torrent of awful realizations. At each even-numbered level, she gains further insight into the depravities of the world she once thought pure. When she enters her Rage of Tears, the Fallen Star can choose to channel any of the revelations she has learned as a part of that rage, though only one revelation may be channeled at a time. Switching to channel a different revelation is a swift action.

Spoiler
    Show

Denial

At second level, the Fallen Star learns of the deceit and willful blindness of a world that sees her pain and does nothing to ease it. When channeling the revelation of denial, the Fallen Star may take a 5-foot-step as an immediate action when an enemy she threatens takes a 5-foot-step, so long as the movement would allow her to threaten the target again. Additionally, her melee attacks may ignore an amount of DR up to her evoker stat modifier. Ending her rage of tears while channeling the revelation of denial allows a Fallen Star to pound her broken spirit into the ground itself; a number of spaces within 40 feet up to twice her (raging) evoker stat modifier become difficult terrain until the end of the encounter, and enemies that move through such spaces take damage equal to the number of motes the Fallen Star regained when she ended her rage. She and her allies may move through these spaces as if they were normal terrain.

Anger

At fourth level, the Fallen Star learns that love is fragile, but hate has power all its own – if the world has no justice, she will make her own bloody vengeance. When channeling the revelation of anger, any enemy that damages the Fallen Star in melee takes damage equal to her evoker stat modifier. Ending her rage of tears while channeling anger allows the Fallen Star to make a single melee attack at her highest bonus; if the attack is successful, it is automatically a critical hit, and the critical multiplier increases by one for every ten motes the Fallen Star regained when she ended her rage. If the attack misses, it deals damage as if it had been a normal hit.

Bargaining

At sixth level, the Fallen Star comes to realize that for all the talk of nobility and sacrifice on the wind, the world is driven by fear – people will pay any price, and worship any heroic dupe, for just a little more life. While channeling the revelation of bargaining, any creature hit by one of the Fallen Star’s attacks takes a -2 penalty to attack rolls and AC for one full round. This penalty is cumulative if she makes multiple attacks against the same target. Ending her rage of tears while channeling bargaining forces all enemies within 30 feet to make fortitude save with a DC of [10 + the Fallen Star’s class level + her (improved) evoker stat modifier]; creatures that fail the save are treated as shaken until the end of the encounter, but the penalties inflicted by that condition are increased by one for every eight motes the Fallen Star regained when she ended her rage.

Despair

At eighth level, a Fallen Star finally succumbs to the terrible truth that everything she went through was ultimately pointless – she could have fought on to her very last breath for the light, and it wouldn’t have mattered one bit in the end. While channeling the revelation of despair, the Fallen Star gains a bonus to attack and damage rolls whenever she is not a full health. This bonus is initially +1, and increases by an additional +1 for every ten points by which her current health is lower than her maximum health. Ending her rage of tears while channeling despair deals damage equal to [the Fallen Star’s maximum hit points - her current hit points + twice the number of motes she regained when she ended her rage] to each enemy within 30 feet, allowing a fortitude save with a DC of [10 + the Fallen Star’s class level + her (improved) evoker stat modifier] for half damage.

Acceptance

At tenth level, a Fallen Star takes the final and most difficult step in her journey: learning to accept what she has learned, and to find her place in a world much darker than she had ever imagined. She has tempered her sorrow to a peerless edge, and can wield it as deftly as any master with their weapon. One per encounter, as a standard action, the Fallen Star can generate an effect as if she had ended her rage of tears without actually doing so.

Numbed Body (Ex): At third level, a Fallen Star has learned to block out physical pain as so much noise. All the cuts and bruises in the world can’t compare to the pain she feels inside. Once per encounter she may gain DR/- equal to her evoker stat modifier for one round, which stacks with any other DR she may possess. She gains an additional use of this ability per encounter at fifth level, and every odd-numbered level thereafter. Expending a use of Numbed Body (on this or any other ability) is an immediate action.

Ravaged Mind (Ex): At fifth level, the Fallen Star’s mind has become a broken thing, but the lessons etched into it are not soon forgotten. By expending a use of Numbed Body, she may treat a single attack roll, saving throw, or skill check she has just made as if the result had been a 10.

Deadened Heart (Ex): At seventh level, the Fallen Star feels almost nothing past the pall of her sadness – worldly afflictions mean little to her. By expending a use of Numbed Body, she may purge a single poison or disease (even a magical one) from her system, completely removing its effects. Alternately, she may remove any one of the following conditions if they are afflicting her: Blinded, Dazed, Deafened, Exhausted, Fatigued, Nauseated, or Sickened.

Lost Spirit (Ex): At ninth level, a Fallen Star’s grief has etched itself so strongly into her that it seems capable at times of overwriting death itself. When the Fallen Star would be slain by a death effect, she may expend two uses of her Numbed Body to instead be reduced to -9 hit points and instantly stabilized.

Sample Fallen Star
    Reina
    Last edited by Lix Lorn; 2014-04-12 at 03:33 PM.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.

7. - Top - End - #907

Changelog!

• Mira of Many Faces is our new Iconic Empath! Say hi! Several times, if need be.
    • Swarms blast shape component fixed.
    • Luminous Tinker feat fixed
    • The Fallen Star PrC, drawing on its heritage as the classic Dark Magical Girl, has been added to the front page!

Working on more stuff, particularly some of the lovely suggestions submitted. I actually have several new illumination components written up, but I'm running smack into that nasty character limit on the Illuminations post. As such, I've got no choice but to migrate the other Illumination types to their own posts, like the Companions type has experienced. I'm just a bit too tired to manage that right this moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    Edit: Wait, there was one. Would it be possible for one of an Empath's Personae to use Companions if the other use Blasts? Biggest problem I can see with this is that they'd still have any Innate blasts.

Edit: If an illumination carries both Denunciations and another effect that requires a save - such as Burdens - do they suffer the penalty against that save?
    The Companion/Blast decision is made you you gain your first evoker level - as different personas aren't differing classes, this unfortunately will not work.

The components would resolve simultaneously, not in sequence, so the penalty from Denunciations would not apply.

Quote Originally Posted by caledscratcher View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I've had a thought at the back of my mind for a while that's been bugging me quite a bit. Like something very obvious was missing from this beautifully radiant tome. And then it hit me: races.

Thus, I present four new races for ToR: the Dawn Elf, the Constellation-Touched, the Crater Dwarf, and the Mascot.

Dawn Elves:
    Elves that saw the truthful way of the sun's valor, they burned away their long lifespan to gain an innate connection to the sun's glory.
    • +2 CHA, -2 WIS. Dawn Elves are intrinsically passionate, which causes them to be a bit worse at noticing social cues.
    • 30 foot move speed.
    • Medium Humanoid (Elf, Radiant).
    • Low-light Vision.
    • Innate Motes: Dawn elves innately have two motes, so a class-based mote pool has a maximum limit of two greater than normal.
    • Radiant Sight: Dawn elves can imbue their eyes with a powerful glimmer. For every 1m invested in this racial trait, the Dawn Elf gains a +1 radiant bonus to Spot and Search checks.
    • Weapon Proficiency: Proficient with longswords, rapiers, and shortbows.
    • Favored Class: Champion.
    • LA +0.

Constellation-Touched:
    Humans who have had the stars smile down upon them, the constellation-touched are powerfully adaptable.
    • -2 CON.
    • 30 foot land speed.
    • Medium Humanoid (Human, Radiant).
    • Innate Motes: Constellation-touched innately have two motes, so a class-based mote pool has a maximum limit of two greater than normal.
    • Radiant Adaptability: Each morning, the constellation-touched gains a bonus feat for which she meets the prerequisites, which lasts for that day.
    • Constellation-touched suffer a -1 luck penalty to AC, as the stars believe that their adaptability comes at a cost.
    • Favored Class: Stargazer.
    • LA +0.

Crater Dwarves:
    Dwarves who believe that the craters of the moon simply make its radiance mightier within their hearts, the crater dwarves are hardly lacking in prowess.
    • +2 WIS, -2 CHA.
    • 20 foot land speed.
    • Medium Humanoid (Dwarf, Radiant).
    • Darkvision.
    • Innate Motes: Crater dwarves innately have two motes, so a class-based mote pool has a maximum limit of two greater than normal.
    • Glimmering Rock: Crater dwarves can imbue their senses with radiant power. For every 1m invested in this racial trait, the crater dwarf gains a +1 radiant bonus to Appraise and Craft checks relating to stone and metal, and a +1 bonus to resist being tripped or bull-rushed while on the ground. If a crater dwarf has at least 4m invested in this racial trait, they gain a +2 bonus on attack rolls against goblinoids and orcs and a +2 bonus on saving throws against spells and spell-like abilities.
    • Favored Class: Empath.
    • LA +0.

Mascot:
    Animals who were blessed with radiant sapience, the Mascots are charismatic and helpful when dealing with Evokers of any sort.
    • +2 CHA, +2 INT, -2 CON, -2 STR. Mascots know and understand the light's ways, but their slight frames makes them regrettably frail.
    • 20 foot base land speed.
    • Small humanoid (Mascot, Radiant).
    • Low-Light Vision.
    • Innate Motes: Mascots have an innate mote pool of four motes. This causes class-based mote pools to have a maximum limit of four greater.
    • Knowledge of Light: Mascots can imbue their minds with glistening knowledge. For every 1m invested in this racial trait, the mascot gains a +1 radiant bonus to all Knowledge checks to do with evokers and evoking. For every 3m invested in this racial trait, the mascot gains a +1 radiant bonus to Knowledge checks in general.
    • Helping Hand: Mascots can assist their allies with the power of light. For every 2m invested in this racial trait, when the mascot uses the aid another action, they provide an additional +1 bonus.
    • Favored Class: Any.
    • LA: +0.
    I do plan on the inclusion of ToR races at some point, but in all honesty I would prefer to take some time on these and make them more than just sparkly versions of PHB races. With the exception of the constellation-touched, who are quite likely broken, there doesn't seem to be anything really mechanically wrong with these races, but... this is something that I'd like to see worked out fully, not just as a couple statblocks.

I like the races! Think the Constellation-Touched got over-nerfed. -1 AC or -2 con would either be good, both is overkill.

Anyway... I have my iconic Empath. :)
    Presenting Mira of many faces, at levels
    One
    Seven
    Twelve
    And just to finish her story, Seventeen.

(Level seventeen she has become scary. A decent part of the scary comes from the Might Surge, which gives +12 Dex constantly as long as she can spare a swift action every six actions.)
    You've heard all I have to say about this in the IRC already, but I'll say it again here - lovely work! With a fun build, a backstory to tie heavily into the class's fluff, and adventure hooks and character arc to make her an adaptable and interesting NPC, Mira sets the gold standard for the base class iconics to follow her.
    Lovely Rita Mordio avatar by Zefir! Thank you!

Homebrew:

8. - Top - End - #908

Blast Components

Foundation Components:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Clinging [Stargazer]
    While most blasts are near-instantaneous effects, some skillful evokers are capable of enticing them to linger on. This weakens the initial burst of power... but continues to eat away at the blast's target to devastating effect. A blast with this foundation deals 1d4 damage for each mote of the illumination's cost. Further, when you successfully deal damage to a target with an illumination possessing this component, they must make a fortitude save. If they succeed, this component has no further effect. If they fail, they take damage equal to half the original damage dealt by the blast at the beginning of each of their turns for a number of rounds equal to one third the illumination's mote cost.

Demolitions [Champion, Empath, Stargazer]
    Much of the time, a magical girl must hold back. Show restraint. As fun as it may be to unleash a furious cascade of destructive potential, it is generally deemed morally unsound to reduce random bystanders to smears of assorted vital fluid on the ground. The demolitions component, however, optimizes a blast for peerless devastation. While it is less than ideal for dealing with animate foes, the heavy-handed destructive force is capable of obliterating even the most resilient obstacles. A blast with this foundation deals 1d4 damage for each mote of the illumination's cost, and ignores any hardness its targets may possess. Additionally, the blast deals double damage against objects. For every 4m in the illumination's final cost, the damage multiplier against objects increases by one.

Flare [Empath, Stargazer]
    There is a limit to the radiant power a mortal body can hold. Evokers are capable of regulating their personal flow of luminescence almost instinctively, but other creatures are far less fortunate. A blast with this foundation rolls damage as usual, dealing 1d8 damage for each mote of the illumination's cost. However, targets do not take this damage immediately. Instead, the blast lies dormant within them, discharging as soon as the target takes damage from another source. If the target does not take any damage within a number of minutes equal to the number of motes in this illumination's final cost, the latent energy dissipates harmlessly. Latent damage from multiple applications of Flare blasts by a single evoker stack, and are discharged as a single unit. Flare blasts from different evokers stack, but are tallied separately. Any damage dealt with the same action as the blast, such as the weapon damage of an Assault illumination, does not trigger this effect. If the latent damage on a target is about to discharge, the evoker may choose to prevent the discharge of her own Flare blasts as an immediate action.

Lures [Champion, Empath, Stargazer]
    Snaring their foes with powerful blowback or chains of radiant power, evokers have little tolerance for those clumsy or foolish enough to attempt to flee their justice. A creature or unattended object struck by a blast augmented with this effect (or who fails their reflex save for half damage in the case of area of effect blasts) is dragged in a straight line towards the blast’s origin point a distance of 5 feet for each mote of the illumination's cost. At the end of this movement, the target is rendered prone, and takes 1d6 points of damage for each 10 feet of distance traveled. If the target's motion is stopped before completion by anything other than reaching the blast's point of origin (such as by a wall), they take an additional 1d6 points of damage for every 5 feet they would have traveled beyond their stopping point.

Power [Champion, Empath, Stargazer]
    Blasts are, at their heart, nothing more than untamed surges of energy, amplified to incredible levels. While it is possible to refine this further, most magical girls simply do not bother - what such an rough-hewn blast might lack in finesse, it makes up for in raw power. A blast with this foundation deals 1d6 damage for each mote of the illumination's cost.

Tremors [Champion, Empath, Stargazer]
    Imbuing their blast with pure kinetic force, a magical girl can use this illumination to literally blow her enemies away. A creature or unattended object struck by a blast augmented with this effect (or who fails their reflex save for half damage in the case of area of effect blasts) is knocked away from the blast’s origin point a distance of 5 feet for each mote of the illumination's cost. You may choose the trajectory of the target's forced movement, but it must be in a straight line away from the origin point. At the end of this movement, the target is rendered prone, and takes 1d6 points of damage for each 10 feet of distance traveled. If the target's motion is stopped before completion (such as by a wall), they take an additional 1d6 points of damage for every 5 feet they would have traveled beyond their stopping point.

Shape Components:
    Spoiler
    Show

Cascade [Champion, Empath, Stargazer]
    [Mote Cost: 0m + 3m/rank beyond the first]
    A single blast of power is the calling card of many magical girls. Brutal, overpowering... and incredibly inelegant. For situations calling for a measured hand and precise aim, it is common for magical girls to configure a barrage of lesser blasts, annihilating enemy forces with the precision of a laser blade. The illumination targets up to one creature per rank in the Cascade component within a 60' base range with a ranged touch attack. The evoker makes only a single attack roll, comparing it to the touch AC of each of her targets.

Assault [Champion, Empath]
    [Mote Cost: 1m]
    Among more martially inclined magical girls, a direct assault is often a far more intuitive strategy than fiddling about with channeling illuminations independently. Born of this mentality, the Assault component allows a blast to be delivered in the form of an attack (not a touch attack) with your device, delivering the effects of a blast along with those of an ordinary attack on a successful hit. Although an assault blast is normally a standard action, it may be also used in place of a single attack in a full attack routine, or in place of the attack made at the end of a charge.

Imbue [Champion, Empath]
    When a warrior of the light wishes to exercise a measure of finesse beyond that of a simple, brute-force assault, it is not uncommon for her to by stymied by the volatile nature of her own power. Designed as a means to work around this instability, the Imbue component infuses an evoker's weapon with radiant energy, ready to be discharged at a moment's notice. A blast with this component is activated as a swift action, rather than a standard action, empowering any single weapon she is currently wielding. The next time the magical girl makes a successful attack with that weapon, the target of her attack suffers the effects of the imbued blast along with those of the attack itself. If it is not discharged, the imbuement fades at the beginning of the evoker's next turn.

Beam [Champion, Empath, Stargazer]
    [Mote Cost: 1m + 2m/rank beyond the first]
    On occasion, one comes across a situation that would be best resolved by an enormous laser of radiant destruction. For some magical girls, this occasion is 'always', and the beam component is the tool with which they carry out their tasks. The illumination becomes a line with a length of 15’ for every rank of this component applied to the blast. Targets within the area of effect can attempt a Reflex save for half damage. For every four ranks of this component, the evoker may increase the width of their line attack by 5'. The width of a beam illumination is chosen upon its crafting.

Challenge [Champion, Empath]
    Cowards falter when faced with the splendor of the light - the art of the challenge was perfected by a former knight who seethed at the thought of foes besmirching her honor with their wanton refusal to do battle on even terms. A blast with the Challenge component targets one creature per rank within a base range of 40'. The targeted creatures experience no immediate effects, but are immediately placed under the effect of the evoker's challenge until the end of the evoker's next turn. For every rank in this component beyond the first, the challenge lasts an additional round. Should a creature under the evoker's challenge willingly deal damage to or force a saving throw by any creature other than the evoker herself, she may smite the offending creature as a free action. This smite deals the full effect of the blast, and strikes unerringly regardless of distance or obstacles between the evoker and the target. Once a smite has been discharged upon a creature in this manner, that creature ceases to be affected by the evoker's challenge. An individual creature may be afflicted with multiple challenges at once, but the evoker may only make one retributive smite against any single triggering action. If you are rendered unconscious by any means, any challenges you have issues immediately end, regardless of remaining duration.

Eruption [Champion, Empath, Stargazer]
    [Mote Cost: 1m/rank]
    Calling upon the maelstrom of radiant energy in a magical girl’s soul, this component converts a blast into a raw, unbridled eruption of power. The illumination gains a blast radius of 5’ per rank of this component, centered on you. You may include yourself as a target of the eruption or be shielded from it, chosen whenever the illumination is evoked. The illumination no longer can be used at range, no longer requires an attack roll, and allows its targets the opportunity to make a Reflex save. On a successful save, the blast deals half damage.

Embraces [Champion, Empath]
    Sometimes, aiming is hard, and worrying about fiddly stabby things or sparkly lasers is just way too much trouble to be worth it. For the targeting-impaired or just plain reckless, however, there is always a more direct approach. The illumination targets a single creature you are currently grappling. No attack roll is required, and no saving throw is offered against the effects of this blast.

Explosion [Empath, Stargazer]
    Following the ancient wisdom that a sufficiently large blast radius can solve any problem, the explosion component converts a blast from a single-target attack into a radial burst. The illumination may be targeted anywhere within a base range of 60', and possesses a blast radius of 5’ for each rank of this component Targets within the area of effect can attempt a Reflex save for half damage.

Storms [Empath, Stargazer]
    By carefully shaping a burst of radiant energy, an evoker can carpet entire swathes of terrain with a furious storm of power. The illumination becomes a cone with a length of 10’ for every rank of this component. Targets within the area of effect can attempt a Reflex save for half damage.

Bombs [Stargazer]
    [Mote Cost: 2m/rank]
    Radiant power is inherently unstable - it can be channeled, refined, and redirected, but its eventual eruption is all but inevitable. The illumination no longer requires an attack roll, instead allowing the magical girl to scatter a number of energy bundles equal to [2 * ranks] anywhere within a base range of 20'. Energy bundles may only be placed in unoccupied squares, and no more than one bundle may be placed in any given square. Whenever a creature enters an energy bundle's square, that bundle detonates with a blast radius of 5'. Targets within the area of effect can attempt a reflex save for half damage. At the beginning of the evoker's next turn, all remaining energy bundles detonate. Creatures or objects caught in multiple simultaneous detonations only make a single saving throw, and only take the illumination's damage once, but the reflex save DC increases by +2 for every overlapping explosion beyond the first.

Swarms [Empath, Stargazer]
    [Mote Cost: 4m/rank]
    It is a relative rarity for a magical girl to face a lone foe. All too often, she is outnumbered many times over, beset by foes on all sides. Designed to allow an evoker to wield her blast as a warrior wields their weapon, the Swarms component gives her a measure of control over her blast after it is fired, allowing the evoker to guide it through the ranks of her enemies like a vengeful tempest. The evoker makes a ranged touch attack against a single target within a base range of 30'. Upon a successful hit, the blast may immediately jump to two additional targets within a range equal to half the base range of the blast, making an attack roll against each in a manner identical to the first. The illumination is capable of splitting in this manner once for each rank of this component that has been purchased. Against each set of targets after the first, the luminous swarm suffers a cumulative -2m to its effective mote cost for the purposes of determining the effects of its foundation component, as its energy is dispersed over an increasingly large area. Any given creature may only be affected by a single swarms illumination once.

Secondary Components:
    Spoiler
    Show

Buffered [Champion, Empath, Stargazer]
    [Mote Cost: 3m]
    Sometimes, evokers can let their enthusiasm outrun their common sense, somehow winding up in the path of their own attacks. It's a bit embarrassing, but when that happens, it's better to have prepared for the eventuality with a few simple safeguards. You cannot take damage from one of your own illuminations augmented with the buffered component. Any other effects of the blast still apply.

Charge [Champion, Empath, Stargazer]
    [Mote Cost: 0m]
    By taking time to stabilize her radiant power to its fullest extent, an evoker can amplify her blasts to the point where evading them is nigh on impossible... assuming the targets don't leave the line of fire before they even go off. You target this illumination normally, but it does not have any immediate effect other than filling the target area with some tell-tale sign of the incoming attack. At the beginning of your next turn, resolve the blast against the target area, but creatures caught in it may not make any save to reduce its effects. This component may only be applied to blasts with a shape that provides an area of effect.

Delayed [Empath, Stargazer]
    [Mote Cost: 3m/rank]
    In the quest for ever larger explosions, a clever (and possibly somewhat mad) stargazer once devised a method by which to store radiant energy in her targets until such time that it reached a dangerous critical mass. When you damage a creature with a blast modified by this component, you may choose to delay that damage by a number of rounds up to the number of ranks in this component. Any effects other than immediate damage occur normally, and are not delayed. If applied to a blast that offers a saving throw for half damage, any creature which succeeded on the initial saving throw must make a fortitude save against the same DC whenever they begin a turn under the effects of a delayed blast. If any of these fortitude saves are failed, the damage dealt by the blast is restored to its full amount when it is finally triggered.

Dust [Champion, Empath, Stargazer]
    Death is messy business - but it doesn't have to be. Any object or creature killed or destroyed by a blast with this component is disintegrated utterly, removing any and all physical trace of their existence. When obliterating a creature with this effect, their equipment is unharmed, if perhaps a little unnaturally clean.

Forged[Champion, Empath, Stargazer]
    Drawing upon a long tradition of martial evokers, this component allows a blast to deal the sort of physical damage to which many warriors are accustomed. Upon readying this illumination, you may select a physical damage type (Slashing, Bludgeoning, or Piercing). The damage dealt by the blast becomes physical damage of that type, rather than untyped damage. Each rank of this component allows you to select an additional physical damage type type to apply to the blast. When damaging an enemy with damage resistance, immunity, the ability to heal from damage taken, or similar damage reducing abilities that would apply to one or more component damage types, only the least effective such ability applies against the amalgam damage, or none if none of them would apply to one or more of the component damage types. All other effects apply as though the amalgam damage was the most damaging of its component damage types with respect to that ability.

Horizon [Champion, Empath, Stargazer]
    Boosting the cohesion and longevity of a blast, this component allows the range of an illumination to be dramatically increased. For each rank of the Horizon component applied to an illumination, its range is increased by an amount equal to its base range. This does not affect the radius, length, or other measurements of any potential Shape effects, and does not benefit illuminations whose Shape does not specify a base range.

Prism [Champion, Empath, Stargazer]
    Refracting the polychromatic purity of light into its manifold components, the Prism component converts a blast into one of the more common forms of energy. Upon readying this illumination, you may select an energy type (Acid, Cold, Electricity, Fire, or Sonic). The damage dealt by the blast becomes energy damage of that type, rather than untyped damage. Each rank of this component allows you to select an additional energy type to apply to the blast. When damaging an enemy with energy resistance, immunity, the ability to heal from damage taken, or similar damage reducing abilities that would apply to one or more component damage types, only the least effective such ability applies against the amalgam damage, or none if none of them would apply to one or more of the component damage types. All other effects apply as though the amalgam damage was the most damaging of its component damage types with respect to that ability.

Sharpshooting [Empath, Stargazer]
    [Mote Cost: 2m]
    Using pre-designed targeting aids and automatic aim compensation, an illumination with this component allows you to target your foes with all the accuracy and precision of a master marksman. When attacking with a blast augmented with the Sharpshooting effect, you may treat your BAB as equal to your HD for the purpose of determining your attack bonus. You do not gain the benefits of an improved BAB for any other purpose.

Dissonance [Champion, Empath, Stargazer]
    Born of the unsettling discoveries of magical girls who have strayed far from the path of the righteous, the Dissonance component converts the radiance of a blast into a sickly cacophony that rends the very life-force of its targets. Damage dealt by blast augmented with this effect is considered negative energy damage in addition to any other damage types it may possess, healing undead and otherwise acting as any other negative energy effect.

Vile [Champion, Empath, Stargazer]
    [Mote Cost: 5m]
    Not all light is clean - the fires of Hell and the Abyss bear their own sickly radiance, and less scrupulous evokers can tap into that light to bright forth blasts of a terrible potency. Damage dealt by blast augmented with this effect is considered to be both evil-aligned and vile damage in addition to any other damage types it may possess - such damage may not be healed by natural or magical means except while within the area of a Consecrate or Hallow effect. Vile damage is detailed more fully in the Book of Vile Darkness. Non-evil evokers may make use of this component, but such a horrendous tool must be used with great care if they wish to carry on long with their alignment intact.

Sundering [Champion, Empath, Stargazer]
    No shield is perfect - the strongest armor has chinks, and the hide of even the mightiest dragon has loose scales a hawk-eyed attacker might exploit. Most warriors know their weaknesses, and work to guard them and disguise them from their foes - but like so many deceptions, these tactics are burned away in the face of the light, leaving weakness blazing from within and exposed to all. For each rank of this component, the target of the blast suffers a -1 penalty to their AC. This penalty lasts one round.

Tactics [Empath, Stargazer]
    [Mote Cost: 6m]
    Most commonly applied to blasts with wide areas of effect, this component grants far more precise control over the targeting of an illumination. When you evoke an illumination with the Tactics component, you may choose to omit any number of targets from its effects.

Volatility [Stargazer]
    [Mote Cost: 7m/rank]
    Life is a powerful force, and as it fades or dims it is possible to use such vital energy to fuel a potent chain reaction of luminous effects. When an enemy is killed or knocked unconscious by a blast with the Volatility component, you may immediately re-evoke that blast at no mote cost, using the fallen target as the origin point for this secondary blast. When a blast is re-evoked in this manner, it loses one rank of this component, but is otherwise identical. Volatility may only be triggered by the initial damage of a blast - secondary damage, such as that from the Clinging component, will not activate this effect.
    Last edited by Selinia; 2014-05-06 at 01:45 AM.

Homebrew:

9. - Top - End - #909

Barrier Components

Foundation Components:
    Spoiler
    Show

Barricades [Champion, Empath, Stargazer]
    A powerful tool in the hands of those that know how to use it, the component of Barricades allows a tactician to partition a battlefield as she pleases – or a warrior to prevent the escape of her prey. So long as the barrier's mote cost is at least 1m, the edge of the barrier is a quasi-solid object capable of blocking movement. Moving through this edge costs 10 feet of movement, though this cost can be ignored with a successful strength check against a DC equal to the save DC of the evoker's illuminations. Alternately, a creature may force their way through the barrier regardless of speed or strength with a full-round action. If a creatures does not wish to pass through the barrier, they may interact with it as they would any solid surface, including climbing or standing on top of it. For every 3m of this barrier's cost, movement through the edge of the barrier costs an additional 5 feet and the DC to force through it increases by +2. If the barrier costs at least 12m, it is impassable without use of a strength check or a full-round action. Despite its seeming solidity, a barrier with this component does not affect targeting or line of effect in any way.

Carnage [Champion, Empath, Stargazer]
    There is something invigorating about combat - the hammering of hearts, the pumping of blood, the glorious fountains of crimson that fly with every blow. Whenever a creature other than the evoker takes damage while standing within the interior of the barrier, the evoker regains 1 hit point for every 6 points of damage dealt by the triggering attack. For every 4m of this illumination's cost, the ratio of triggering damage to healing improves – 4m raising the ration to to 1:5, 8m to 1:4, 12m to 1:3, 16m to 1:2, and 20m to 1:1.

Journeys [Champion, Empath, Stargazer]
    This distance between here and there is never so great for a traveler with an eager heart and an eye on tomorrow. It costs you and your allies only half a square of movement to enter a square on the interior of the barrier. If the barrier costs at least 5m, allies within the barrier may stand upon the air itself, moving vertically freely as a path is constructed to match their movements. If the barrier costs at least 10m, exiting a square on the interior of the barrier does not provoke attacks of opportunity for you and your allies. If the barrier costs at least 15m, it only costs you and your allies a quarter of a square of movement to enter a square on the interior of the barrier.

Shadows [Empath, Stargazer]
    By bending and distorting light, this component allows a magical girl to hide areas or individuals from view. At the evoker’s discretion, this can manifest as either a dome of darkness or as a completely empty space. This decision is purely cosmetic - the barrier itself can be seen either way, whether as a sphere of darkness or a rippling distortion in the air. So long as the barrier's mote cost is at least 1m, the edge of the barrier grants a limited form of concealment. This functions identically to normal concealment, but inflicts a 10% miss chance, rather than 20%. If the barrier's cost is at least 4m, the miss chance increases to 20%. At 8m, the miss chance increases to 30%. If the barrier costs at least 12m, it instead grants a limited form of total concealment. This functions identically to normal total concealment, but inflicts a 40% miss chance, rather than 50%. If the barrier costs at least 16m, the miss chance increases to 50%.

Shelter [Champion, Empath, Stargazer]
    A barrier is normally a relatively diffuse effect, spreading protective magic thin over an area. However, by augmenting an illumination with the component of Shelter, the radiant energy condenses to the point where even the most potent attacks will be stopped short at the sparkling threshold. So long as the barrier's mote cost is at least 1m, the edge of the barrier grants a limited form of cover. This functions identically to normal cover, but gives only +2 to AC, and a +1 bonus to reflex saves against attacks that burst from the other side of the barrier's edge. Every 2m of this barrier's cost increases the AC bonus by +1, and every 4m of cost increases the bonus to reflex saves by +1. If the barrier costs at least 12m, the edge of the barrier instead grants total cover. Despite its seeming solidity, a barrier with this component does not hinder movement in any way. It is possible for melee attacks to strike through the barrier, even if it grants total cover, but targets still receive the benefits of cover.

Tempests [Empath, Stargazer]
    Not all great barriers in the world are forged of brick and mortar. A mighty storm of ice and snow can bar passage for thousands, and no sane sailor would cast off when the seas are roused. Crafting her power in emulation of such might wardens, a magical girl can engulf a battlefield in a tempest of her own devising. So long as the barrier's mote cost is at least 1m, the interior of the barrier experiences torrential precipitation that inflicts a -4 penalty on Spot and Search checks to find anything contained within. Traditionally, this takes the form of snowflakes, and act as such - but almost any replacement is theoretically possible. If the barrier costs at least 5m, heaps and drifts of material begin to pile up, and the movement cost to enter any space contained within the barrier doubles. If the barrier costs at least 10m, any creature within the barrier must make a reflex save whenever they move more than half their speed to avoid falling prone in the final square of their movement. If the barrier costs at least 15m, movement costs within the barrier are quadrupled, rather than doubled.

Zone [Champion, Empath, Stargazer]
    Sometimes, the more potent effects of a barriers only get in the way of its true purpose. This foundation component has no effect of its own, allowing the barrier to rely entirely on secondary components for its functionality.

Shape Components:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Strongholds [Champion, Empath, Stargazer]
    Even in the most hostile of lands, beset by foes on all sides, a magical girl is not without sanctuary. The center of the barrier may be placed anywhere within a 20' base range, and possess a radius of 5 feet for every rank of this component.

Borders [Champion, Empath, Stargazer]
    Sometimes it is not enough to protect a single individual. At times, a line in the sand must be drawn. The barrier is a 10’ high wall with one inch of thickness and a length of 15’ for each rank of this component applied. All components of the barrier must fall within a 20' base range, but its length can be shaped in any manner the evoker deems fit - it can be turned horizontally to form an impromptu floor or ceiling, or stacked atop other wall segments to create a border with more than 10' of height. This wall possess all the traits that would be applied to the edge of a barrier, but does not possess any actual interior.

Dominions [Champion, Empath, Stargazer]
    At times, the land itself can be counted among an evoker's fiercest allies. Where realms and fortresses fail her, a magical girl can awaken the field of battle itself to serve in her defense. The evoker designates a number of squares within a 50' base range equal to [3 * ranks in this component]. Each of these squares is affected as if it were on the interior of the barrier. A barrier with this shape has no actual edges, and effects that would apply to the edge of a barrier do not impact the illumination's functionality.

Ramparts [Champion, Empath, Stargazer]
    With friends at her back, her armaments at her side, and the will to stand against all aggressors, a magical girl can forge a rampart of radiant power that knows no equal in the artifice of mortals. The barrier is a 10’ high wall with one inch of thickness and a length of 10’ for each rank of this component applied. All components of the barrier must fall within a 20' base range, but its length can be shaped in any manner the evoker deems fit - it can be turned horizontally to form an impromptu floor or ceiling, or stacked atop other wall segments to create a border with more than 10' of height. Additionally, one side of the barrier radiates effects identical to those that would be found on the interior of a barrier. These effects extent 5' beyond the wall for each rank of this component.

Secondary Components:
    Spoiler
    Show

Pilgrimage [Champion, Empath, Stargazer]
    Boosting the cohesion and longevity of a barrier, this component allows the range of an illumination to be dramatically increased. For each rank of the Pilgrimage component applied to an illumination, its range is increased by an amount equal to its base range. This does not affect the radius, length, or other measurements of any potential Shape effects, and does not benefit illuminations whose Shape does not specify a base range.

Radiance [Champion, Empath, Stargazer]
    Where evokers walk, light follows. One of the simplest of all components, the power of radiance allows an evoker to bring light into the dark places of the world. The interior of her barrier becomes brightly lit, and sheds bright light 10' beyond its borders, and shadowy illumination for twice that distance. For each rank of this component beyond the first, the radius of bright light (and consequently, shadowy illumination) doubles. Multiple doublings stack as usual - for example, a barrier with three ranks of this component sheds bright light in a radius of 30', and shadowy illumination for 30' beyond that. This effect counters or dispels any darkness spell with a spell level equal to or less than half the number of ranks in this component.

Returning[Empath, Stargazer]
    There is power in the place one calls home. While the children of light often do battle far from their native lands, they may use this component to tap into the same eternal ties that bind them to their distant homes. Once placed, any ally within 15' of the barrier may, as a move action, call upon this effect to teleport to any unoccupied space contained within the barrier. Each rank beyond the first increases the maximum distance over which an ally can be recalled by 15'. A barrier augmented with this effect may not be placed on a targeted creature - it must be placed on a location.

Ancients [Champion, Empath, Stargazer]
    Channeling the timeless endurance of light, the component of Ancients grants barriers added longevity, allowing a tactically-minded evoker to shape the battlefield over the course of several rounds. The barrier lasts an additional round for each rank of this component.

Breath [Champion, Empath, Stargazer]
    Breath is life, and there is no breath greater than the winds that sweep the world. With an illumination wielding this component, a magical girl can rouse the winds to her her command, conducting them as a maestro might lead a symphony. The interior of the barrier is subjected to Moderate Wind, blowing in a direction of the evoker's choosing. For each rank of this component beyond the first, the severity of the wind force increases by one step.

Alignment [Empath, Stargazer]
    The ideals of a magical girl are unyielding, and this strength of character can be extended to the illuminations she manifests. The edge of the barrier functions as the border of a Magic Circle against one alignment chosen when the illumination is crafted. Like its spell-fueled cousin, the circle may be focused inwards or outwards, but the short lifespan of illuminations renders it of dubious use as a long-term prison.

Anchors [Stargazer]
    [Mote Cost: 5m/rank]
    The grip of earth and stone might seem implacable to most. But magical girls know full well that the edicts of gravity are in truth mere suggestions. Some take this beyond simple flight, coaxing leniency from entire swathes of terrain - such practices are difficult to master, but the potency of such effects cannot be denied. The interior of the barrier experiences a shift in gravity - upon evoking the illumination, the magical girl may choose to impose Light Gravity or Heavy Gravity. If at least two ranks of this component have been applied to the barrier, the magical girl may may also choose to impose No Gravity. If at least three ranks have been applied, she may choose to impose Objective Directional Gravity in a direction of her choice.

Visions [Stargazer]
    A great tool of tricksters and masters of misdirection, the component of Visions fills a barrier with false phantasms summoned by the magical girl. The interior of the barrier contains a vivid illusion, identical to that created by the spell Major Image. Viewers are permitted a Will saving throw to disbelieve the effect upon viewing it.

Silence [Stargazer]
    [Mote Cost: 10m]
    In light, there is harmony. In light, there is stillness. In light, there is serenity. Calling upon the great constants of the world, this component quells the riotous tumult of mortals and enforces a state of mystical serenity. The interior of the barrier experiences the effects of an Antimagic Field.
    Last edited by Selinia; 2014-04-16 at 10:12 PM.

Homebrew:

10. - Top - End - #910

Surge Components

Foundation Components:
    Spoiler
    Show

Battles [Champion, Empath, Stargazer]
    Awed bystanders have whispered often of the alacrity of the most powerful magical girls. They move not with the precise form and motion of a master swordsman, but with a blinding swiftness born of passion and the very light they wield. If this illumination costs at least 7m, when the recipient of the surge makes a full attack or a charge attack, she may make an additional attack at her highest base attack bonus. For every additional 7m of cost, the illumination grants its target an additional attack at her highest base attack bonus. These extra attacks do not stack with those granted by Haste or similar effects.

Consumption [Stargazer]
    To an evoker, light is life, and wonder, and beauty untold. But such radiance can be an awful thing to those who have not been touched by its power - a ghastly-bright inner fire that consumes their very souls. The target of the surge must make a Fortitude save or contract a supernatural illness known as Radiant Wasting, the result of a shard of tainted light embedded deep in their essence. This functions just as any other supernatural disease, with a save DC equal to the evoker's illumination save DC, an incubation period of one day, and no infection vector beyond use of this surge. Radiant Wasting deals 1d4 damage to one ability score, chosen by the evoker when she crafts an illumination with this component. For every 4m of this illumination's cost, she may select an additional ability score to deal 1d4 damage to, or increase the damage to an already selected ability by +2. Radiant Wasting may be cured like any other disease, but effects that emulate diseases (such as the spell Contagion) are unable to mimic it: Radiant Wasting's symptoms are too volatile, and too closely tied to individual evokers, to be reproduced with any sort of coherency. An individual who contracts Radiant Wasting from a surge with this component retains their affliction even after the surge's duration would otherwise end.

Courage[Champion, Empath, Stargazer]
    The few against the many. The small against the great and terrible. The weak against the strong. Such are the battles faced by en evoker, and if she is to weather them she and her allies must stand fast with the courage to withstand any storm. For every 2m in the illumination's final cost, its target receives a +1 radiant bonus to AC, to a minimum bonus of +1.

Denunciations [Empath, Stargazer]
    To be a magical girl is to be the very embodiment of mercy and forgiveness. It is rare for such beings to express true hatred... but simple anger is a different story entirely. The cosmos shudder at the righteous fury of an evoker, and the targets of their wrath feel fate itself conspiring against them. For every 4m of this illumination's cost, targets of the effect suffer a -1 penalty to all saving throws, to a minimum penalty of -1.

Diamonds [Champion, Empath, Stargazer]
    Not easily is the light snuffed out, and a magical girl wields power to grant herself and her allies the strength of the candle that remains lit even in the fiercest of storms. The recipient of this surge gains DR 1/- for its duration. For each 2m of this illumination's cost, the DR granted by this component increases by 1.

Isolation [Empath, Stargazer]
    There is power in a glorious alignment of comrades-at-arms. A whole that is often greater than the sum of its components parts. With the application of ruthless logic, then, the obvious way to strike at such a force is to shatter the very ties that lend it its power, leaving each to be ground into a lonely pile of dust. The target of this surge must make a will saving throw or be afflicted with a dire curse of isolation. The afflicted creature gains a Spell Resistance and Power Resistance of 15 + [the final mote cost of this illumination]. This resistance is controlled by the evoker - she may choose freely whether to allow any given effect to pass through or whether to force it to roll spell or power resistance as usual. Additionally, for every 3m of this illumination's cost, the evoker may suppress a single ongoing magical effect currently affecting her target, chosen at random. The evoker may deliberately exclude any effects from this random selection, so long as she is aware of its presence on her target.

Justice [Empath, Stargazer]
    The world is an unfair place, but where walk the wielders of light, justice follows close behind. Those marked by this surge receive a brand of either Innocence or Prosecution, chosen when the illumination is crafted. Whenever a target with a brand of Innocence is dealt damage, their attacker suffers 1 point of retributive damage for every 6 points of damage dealt. Whenever a target with a brand of Prosecution deals damage, they suffer retributive damage equal to 1 point for every 6 points of damage dealt. The application of either form of brand can be resisted with a successful will saving throw. For every 4m of this illumination's cost, the ratio of provoking damage to retributive damage improves – 4m raising the ration to to 1:5, 8m to 1:4, 12m to 1:3, 16m to 1:2, and 20m to 1:1.

Might [Champion, Empath, Stargazer]
    The ideal warrior has no weakness, but even the most rigorous training will leave sometimes leave one cursing that their skills are hindered by their own feeble body. Unsurprisingly, given how young many evokers are when they first begin to wield their power, one of the most common surge components is one to reinforce and fortify natural potential. The recipient of the surge receives a +2 Enhancement bonus to an ability score chosen when the illumination is crafted. For every 3m of the illumination's cost, the evoker may add a +2 Enhancement bonus to another ability score. The same ability score can be chosen for the boost imparted by an additional rank multiple times, and the effects of each rank stack. For example, a 3m Might Surge could grant +2 Str/+2 Con, or +4 Str.

Mockery [Champion, Empath, Stargazer]
    Laughter is death to fear. The most dreadful of villains can often be reduced to a spluttering buffoon with a few well-placed jibes, and devious plots are merely foolish when theatrics are countered by satire. When no targets for jest readily present themselves, the component of Mockery can induce the sort of catastrophic pratfall that might bring shame to even the most egotistical foe. For every 1m of the illumination's cost, its target suffers a -1 penalty to their next attack roll or skill check. This effect can be negated by a successful Will saving throw. When the target misses an attack, the effect of this component immediately ends. Other effects of the illumination persist for the usual duration.

Protection [Champion, Empath, Stargazer]
    When a friend is hurt, an evoker may draw upon her power to heal them. But for those evokers who understand the art of protection, their friends need not be hurt to begin with. For every 1m of this illumination's cost, targets of the surge gain 4 temporary hit points. These temporary hit points last for the duration of the illumination.

Resolve [Champion, Empath, Stargazer]
    When her allies are worn and battered by the trials they face, a magical girl may lend her radiance to bring new vigor to weary flesh and bone. For every 1m of this illumination's cost, targets of the surge are cured of 1d6 points of damage. After receiving healing from an illumination with the Resolve component, the target cannot benefit from the effects of this component for one minute. Targets under this restriction still receive the benefit of any other effects of an illumination, and benefit from other sources of healing normally.

Sanctity[Empath, Stargazer]
    There are many strange and wicked things in the world, and at times it seems that each offers more gruesome torments than the last. Against such manifold terrors, an evoker must at times shield herself and her allies against attacks bearing all manner of unwholesome effects. For every 3m of this illumination's cost, targets of the effect gain a +1 bonus to all saving throws.

Shape Components:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Awakening [Champion, Empath, Stargazer]
    [Mote Cost: 0m]
    There is power buried deep within every evoker to rival the mightiest of heroes. To call upon that wellspring, even unknowingly, is to tap a near-limitless source of potential, and even the mightiest of surges can seem effortless when turned inward. The surge targets the evoker.

Smiting [Champion, Empath]
    Traditionally, crafting a surge is an act of finesse and meticulous control, gathering radiant power in precise ratios to eventually unleash in a cascade of power. Still, some evokers prefer to just power up their weapon and hit things. A surge with this component empowers any single weapon she is currently wielding. The next time the magical girl makes a successful attack with that weapon, the target of her attack suffers the effects of the imbued surge along with those of the attack itself. If it is not discharged, the imbuement fades at the beginning of the evoker's next turn.

Bolts [Champion, Empath, Stargazer]
    [Mote Cost: 1m + 4m/rank beyond the first]
    Arcing power over great distances, the component of Bolts allows an evoker to provide aid to her allies (or woe to her enemies) even from across a battlefield. The surge is a ranged touch attack. Willing targets are hit automatically, but enemies must be struck with a ranged touch attack normally. The effect can target a single creature within a 30' base range. Each rank beyond the first allows the evoker to target an additional creature within range.

Pulses [Champion, Empath, Stargazer]
    [Mote Cost: 1m + 3m/rank beyond the first]
    While many struggle to channel them into singular applications, some evokers find it easier to simply let their surges of power wash out around them in a great flood. The suge is an aura affecting valid targets within a burst possessing a 5' radius for each rank of this component. Upon crafting the illumination, an evoker may choose if she wants the aura’s effect to target only allies, only enemies, or both.

Secondary Components:
    Spoiler
    Show

Amplitude [Champion, Empath, Stargazer]
    Boosting the cohesion and longevity of a surge, this component allows the range of an illumination to be dramatically increased. For each rank of the Amplitude component applied to an illumination, its range is increased by an amount equal to its base range. This does not affect the radius, length, or other measurements of any potential Shape effects, and does not benefit illuminations whose Shape does not specify a base range.

Purity [Empath, Stargazer]
    True healing is beyond the powers of light, save in the rarest of circumstances, but the illuminations of a magical girl can nonetheless drive away many ills of the world – even if only for a time. The target of the surge may, for its duration, ignore one of the following effects for each rank of this component; Blinded, Confused, Cowering, Dazed, Dazzled, Deafened, Energy Drained, Exhausted, Fascinated, Fatigued, Frightened, Nauseated, Panicked, Paralyzed, Shaken, Sickened, or Turned. Which effects are suppressed must be chosen at illumination creation. Each selection of ‘Energy Drained’ suppresses only one negative level. The evoker must suppress Shaken before she can suppress Frightened, Frightened before Panicked or Cowering, Fatigued before Exhausted, Sickened before Nauseated, and Dazed before Paralyzed. These effects are not removed from their target, nor are they re-applied when this surge fades - this illumination merely suppresses the effects of the conditions affected.

Awe [Empath, Stargazer]
    Throughout history, wielders of the light have held a special place in the hearts of the common people. In modern times, magical girls are revered as heroes and idols, and in ancient ones, it was not uncommon for them to bask in worship as the resplendent goddesses of their people. There is a fundamental awe in beholding the radiance and purity of light, capable of making knees weaken and bend. The target of the illumination must make a will save or fall prone.

Burdens [Empath, Stargazer]
    No heart is entirely free of darkness - nor should it be. The traces of shadow are what allow the mortal races to grasp the light with such fervor. Yet, the radiance of a magical girl can make even the lightest of hearts feel too heavy to bear, and the component of Burdens serves to convert metaphorical chains into literal ones, binding a creature with their own regrets. The target of the illumination must make a reflex save, or be entangled.

Echoes [Champion, Empath, Stargazer]
    A magical girl’s surges of power burn brightly, but their effects fade all too swiftly at times. Though the initial rush of power lasts but a moment, it is possible with practice to maintain the echoes of power long enough to leave a lasting mark on the battlefield. For each rank of this component, the surge’s effects last an additional round.

Oaths [Champion, Empath]
    An evoker standing in defense of her friends will stand unwavering against impossible foes, and will allow nothing to stand between her and those she has sworn to protect. Whenever the target of an illumination with at least one rank in this component takes damage, the evoker may redirect up to 25% of that damage on to herself as a free action, regardless of distance. For every rank of this component beyond the first, the evoker may redirect an additional 25% of an attack's damage onto themselves when using this ability, up to a maximum of 100%.

Mirage [Stargazer]
    Calling upon the capricious nature of relative light and space, the Mirage component is a powerful defensive measure against those unable to pierce its trickery. The recipient of the surge gains a number of illusory duplicates equal to the number of ranks in this component. These duplicates share her space and mimic her actions, functioning identically to those created by the spell Mirror Image.

Emptiness [Empath, Stargazer]
    Better than most, evokers understand that there are few torments more terrible than loneliness and isolation. This isolation is not only a fitting punishment, but also at times a potent tactic in battle, leading to the inception of the rather brutal component of Emptiness. If one rank of the component is applied, the target of the surge must make a will save or be blinded or deafened, chosen when the illumination of crafted. If two ranks of the component are applied, the target suffers both effects on a failed save.

Promises [Champion, Empath, Stargazer]
    A promise instilled by the power of light is not an easy thing to break, and the powers of a magical girl can give even fiends pause to question their attacks. The target of the illumination must make a will save or be rendered unable to attack a single target of the evoker’s choice for each rank in this effect. If the target of the illumination is not aware of any conscious enemies that would be excluded from this protection, this component has no effect on it.

Pursuit [Champion, Empath, Stargazer]
    Once an evoker gets her heart set on something, the combined denizens of the lower planes might be hard pressed to sway her from her goal. The target of the illumination must make a will save (which it may voluntarily fail) or be marked by this ability. As a move action, the evoker may teleport up to her base land speed without provoking attacks of opportunity, so long as this movement ends adjacent to a creature she has marked with a pursuit effect. For each rank of this component beyond the first, the distance the evoker may teleport via this effect increases by her base land speed.

Heartbreak [Empath, Stargazer]
    [Mote Cost: 8m]
    Among the cruelest and darkest of all illuminations, the component of Heartbreak was born of unspeakable pain and tragedy. Those who wield it knowingly are dangerously close to a long fall into darkness, if indeed they still stand in the light at all. The target of the surge must make a will saving throw or experience a traumatic and ruthlessly focused memory suppression effect, binding all memories of friendship or kindness behind wrought doors of sickly radiance and sending the target into a blind rage of fear and betrayal. The target will spend each turn attacking the nearest creature, and is completely heedless of the difference between friend and foe. If the duration of the illumination is extended, each new round offers the victim of this illumination another opportunity to make a will save and shake off its effects. This is a mind-affecting effect.
    Last edited by Selinia; 2014-04-26 at 05:24 PM.

Homebrew:

11. - Top - End - #911
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Selinia View Post
    You've heard all I have to say about this in the IRC already, but I'll say it again here - lovely work! With a fun build, a backstory to tie heavily into the class's fluff, and adventure hooks and character arc to make her an adaptable and interesting NPC, Mira sets the gold standard for the base class iconics to follow her.

I'd go and hide under my desk, but... well I'm halfway through an iconic fallen star now. >>
    I hope I'm not stealing people's thunder. Making magical girls is fun.

12. - Top - End - #912

Changelog! Stuff edition!

• Illumination components have all migrated off the front page due to character limit issues.
    • Added the Lures blast foundation!
    • Added the Embraces blast shape!
    • Fixed the Swarms blast shape to no longer allow orbital punts via Tremors!
    • Added the Buffered blast secondary!
    • Added the Charge blast secondary!
    • Added the Delayed blast secondary!
    • Added the Dust blast secondary!
    • Added the Journeys barrier foundation!
    • Buffed the Breath barrier secondary!
    • Added the Bottomless Reservoir feat!
    • Added the Burning Spirit feat!
    • Added the Focused Talent feat!
    • Added the Effortless Formula feat!
    • Added the Overlimit feat!
    • Added the Prism Shift feat!
    • Added the Time to Shine feat!
    • Added the Berserking device effect!

...whew! That's all I have to say for the moment!
    Last edited by Selinia; 2014-04-11 at 12:59 AM.

Homebrew:

13. - Top - End - #913
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Selinia View Post
    Changelog! Stuff edition!

• Illumination components have all migrated off the front page due to character limit issues.
    • Added the Lures blast foundation!
    • Added the Embraces blast shape!
    • Fixed the Swarms blast shape to no longer allow orbital punts via Tremors!
    • Added the Buffered blast secondary!
    • Added the Charge blast secondary!
    • Added the Delayed blast secondary!
    • Added the Dust blast secondary!
    • Added the Journeys barrier foundation!
    • Buffed the Breath barrier secondary!
    • Added the Bottomless Reservoir feat!
    • Added the Burning Spirit feat!
    • Added the Focused Talent feat!
    • Added the Effortless Formula feat!
    • Added the Overlimit feat!
    • Added the Prism Shift feat!
    • Added the Time to Shine feat!
    • Added the Berserking device effect!

...whew! That's all I have to say for the moment!
    And now I want to respec some of Koyya's illuminations.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

14. - Top - End - #914
    Ettin in the Playground

So do I :-) But well, that's what level-up are for :-)

update: it seems all the recent material got to the wiki. Just as a note: Mira's 17th level charsheet - crunch only - takes 6 pages :-)
    Last edited by jamieth; 2014-04-11 at 08:09 AM.

"Jamie" is fine. TH is mostly there to make sure the name would be free on any forum I'd want to register :-)

Extended signature

15. - Top - End - #915
    Titan in the Playground

So do I :-) But well, that's what level-up are for :-)

update: it seems all the recent material got to the wiki. Just as a note: Mira's 17th level charsheet - crunch only - takes 6 pages :-)
    Ehehe... sorry? ^_^''

16. - Top - End - #916
    Troll in the Playground

So I just noticed for the call for Iconics, are you still looking or have they filled up?
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

17. - Top - End - #917
    Titan in the Playground

As far as I can tell, the base classes are all spoken for, but the majority of the PrCs still need iconics.

Speaking of...
    I did a DMG iconic. On the offchance that anyone else wants the headache of making one for the Shining Princess, I'll try to resist doing one for that too...

18. - Top - End - #918
    Troll in the Playground

As far as I can tell, the base classes are all spoken for, but the majority of the PrCs still need iconics.
    All of my PrCs are currently spoken for. Also, Dragonus, you still in CoE or should I scout for a replacement?
    Quote Originally Posted by QuintonBeck View Post
    Many thanks to Snowfire for collating all these. He's a madman, but he's a helpful madman.
    Spoiler: Things
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Mynxae View Post
    Damn you Snowfire. I cried.
    Quote Originally Posted by Falcon777 View Post
    T_T I swear, you just made me cry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    Well, here's another for your sig, Snowfire.

<struck dumb>

19. - Top - End - #919
    Ogre in the Playground

Long time lurker on this thread, but I'd like to try and reserve an Iconic. Most likely a Valkyrie, if nobody else has spoken for it.

20. - Top - End - #920
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Snowfire View Post
    All of my PrCs are currently spoken for. Also, Dragonus, you still in CoE or should I scout for a replacement?
    I'll PM you about it.

I guess I'll have to try and poke around for a non taken class, would there happen to be a list that I had missed on the wiki maybe.
    Last edited by Dragonus45; 2014-04-11 at 03:09 PM.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

21. - Top - End - #921

dominions can target noncontiguous squares, yes? in which case journeys dominions 1 with 14 ranks pilgrimage is a teleport within 819200'? since distance is actually explicitly called out as a real-world value you apply "normal rules of math" to when multiplying:

When applying multipliers to real-world values (such as weight or distance), normal rules of math apply instead.
    ... eh greater teleport comes online before that, though, so that's probably fine. and you'd need line of effect anyway, right? ... I think I'm just assuming that line of effect is required.

I am appreciating this.

22. - Top - End - #922

Quote Originally Posted by sreservoir View Post
    dominions can target noncontiguous squares, yes? in which case journeys dominions 1 with 14 ranks pilgrimage is a teleport within 819200'? since distance is actually explicitly called out as a real-world value you apply "normal rules of math" to when multiplying:

... eh greater teleport comes online before that, though, so that's probably fine. and you'd need line of effect anyway, right? ... I think I'm just assuming that line of effect is required.

I am appreciating this.

Pilgrimage and all other range increasing components only double the base. So a journeys dominions 1 pilgrimage 3 would have a base range of 200, not 400. A journeys dominions 1 pilgrimage 14 would have a range of 700'.

23. - Top - End - #923

Changelog!

• Added the Luminous Link soulbond feat chain! Soulbonds aren't exclusive to evokers, but they certainly do tie into the nature of radiant power.
    • Fixed the range-boosting components of Blasts, Barriers, and Surges.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonus45 View Post
    So I just noticed for the call for Iconics, are you still looking or have they filled up?
    I do believe most of them are filled, but if you really think you have an amazing idea for an iconic, you're still free to submit - if I wind up with multiple submissions, I'll just use the one I think fits the class best. Still, its preferable to go for ones people aren't already working on.

Speaking of...
    I did a DMG iconic. On the offchance that anyone else wants the headache of making one for the Shining Princess, I'll try to resist doing one for that too...
    Excellent work, as before! We have our Fallen Star iconic - though I can't edit your post, so you'll need to stamp her in there yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by sreservoir View Post

I am appreciating this.
    This is... amusing, but it wasn't intentional, and it has the side effect of allowing you to cause localized snow storms/gravity fluctuations/illusory explosions from miles away. Or from high orbit.

Or from the moon. It's closer than you might think.

Homebrew:

24. - Top - End - #924
    Ettin in the Playground

A quick request: could someone please check these sheets? (I know equipment is lacking, and the Stargazer lacks 2 UNreadied Illuminations; is there anything else?)

Kaara the Champion

Laura the Empath

Teela the Stargazer

Extended signature

25. - Top - End - #925

Changelog!

• Student of the Light feat added! For those that can never have too many options in the bank.
    • Enduring Radiance feat added! A partial remedy for the severe MAD that plagues champions, and a solid boost in toughness that helps set champions apart as premier brawlers.
    • Boundless Creativity feat added! Add some wizard to your stargazer, why don't you.
    • Demanding Luminosity feat added! A soldier of the light should not be ignored!
    • Extra Imbuement feat added! Dead basic, and probably overdue.
    • Wild Aspect feat added! Isn't it fun waking up with new people in your head?
    • Promises surge secondary modified! It is now cheaper per rank, no longer Mind Effecting, and contains wording to prevent using it as a way to immunize the entire party from harm.
    • Oaths surge secondary added! Champions really need more toys in this category, and it is always nice to have tools when attempting to shield one's allies.
    • Echoes surge secondary modified! Champions may now select this without paying a feat. Luminous Tinker was practically mandatory for any fighter looking to self-buff, which put the already feat-hungry champion in a serious bind.
    • Challenge blast secondary added! Let your enemies know the face of their true enemy!

Lots of toys for tanks, but I imagine there are plenty of builds starving for one resource or another and willing to pay feats for a bit more freedom.

A quick request: could someone please check these sheets? (I know equipment is lacking, and the Stargazer lacks 2 UNreadied Illuminations; is there anything else?)

Kaara the Champion

Laura the Empath

Teela the Stargazer
    These look mechanically sound, if lacking in fluff. It's hard to do much at L1, but they seem to be coming along nicely!

Homebrew:

26. - Top - End - #926
    Ettin in the Playground

Nice! Now, what should the fourth member of that group be... A dedicated blaster, perhaps? Or a rogue wannabe, dual-wielding Tricky's...

Wiki update complete. Never even noticed Champions lacked Echoes before :-)

The wording on Boundless Creativity could be improved, I think - probably explicitely mention "must be a Stargazer" in requirements section? Or, better yet, "must have a Stargazer Illumination list containing at least 10 illuminations"?

And, sure, Kaara would appreciate all the new toys :-)

Extended signature

27. - Top - End - #927
    Titan in the Playground

I edited the Shining Princess a bit!
    Trying to qualify for that class was mildly hellish. Now, you can qualify with 8/1/1, rather than the painful 4/3/3.

28. - Top - End - #928

29. - Top - End - #929

There is something that I'm not sure has been mentioned before that possibly could be greatly expanded upon:
    magic items relating to lightwielders.

30. - Top - End - #930

Dawnguard

"I beg your pardon, sir monster, but I'm afraid I'm going to have to stand in your way."
    -Estellise il Catrarina, a Dawnguard

For some champions, it is not enough to channel power into their illuminations and to fortify their armaments with light. They feel the power erupting within their own body, empowering them, strengthening them beyond the limits of mere muscle and bone. Most are content to be faster, stronger, tougher than their peers... but not all accept such limits.

Those known as a Dawnguards nurture their inner light, burning with an inner vitality that strikes fear into the heart of their foes. While they may lack some of the skill and refinement of their champion cousins, the inner spark of a dawnguard has been amplified to such an extent that they are nearly impossibly to harm. No longer are they merely a weapon of the light - they have tempered themselves into a living shield to protect all they hold dear.

Requirements
    To become a dawnguard, you must fulfill the following criteria.
    Skills: Concentration 9 ranks, Climb 5 ranks, Jump 5 ranks, Swim 5 ranks
    Feats: Demanding Luminosity
    Illuminations: Must know at least one blast illumination with at least one rank in the Challenge component.
    Special: Must possess the Force of Personality class feature

Spoiler
    Show
    Dawnguards pursue a very specific role - they want to absorb as much punishment off their more fragile friends as they possibly can. To that end, champions who've made an effort to do so already should have little difficulty in making the transition, but others may wish to steer clear. Beyond the feats and illumination, a dawnguard requires intense personal fitness and an understanding of one's own body in order to expand her power inwards.

Class Skill List: Autohypnosis (Wis), Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Handle Animal (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge [Local] (Int), Perform (Cha), Sense Motive (Wis), Swim (Str), Tumble (Dex), Use Magical Device (Cha)
    Skill Points at Each Level: 4 + Int modifier.

Spoiler
    Show
    Aside from champion skills, dawnguards pick up the rarely-seen but much-loved Autohypnosis.

Dawnguard
    Hit Dice: d12

Level Base Attack Bonus Fort Save Ref Save Will Save Special Illuminations
    1st +1 +2 +0 +2 Shining Resilience ---
    2nd +2 +3 +0 +3 Undeniable Demand (-1), Vitality (+2 hp/HD) +1 level of existing class
    3rd +3 +3 +1 +3 Inexhaustible +1 level of existing class
    4th +4 +4 +1 +4 Undeniable Demand (-2), Vitality (+4 hp/HD) +1 level of existing class
    5th +5 +4 +1 +4 Magnificent Challenger, ---

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A dawnguard is proficient with all simple weapons and with all armor (heavy, medium, and light) and shields (including tower shields).

Spoiler
    Show
    This is a very, very solid chassis to say the least. For a class about martial durability, solid foundations are to be expected. Those who use Blazing Aegis may appreciate the option of tower shields, as well.

Illuminations: At each indicated level, a dawnguard gains an increase in evoker level, illuminations known, illuminations readied, innate illuminations, and personas known as if they had gained a level in an illumination-using class to which they belonged before adding the prestige class level. She does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained. If she had more than one illumination-using class before becoming a dawnguard, she must decide to which class to add each level for the aforementioned purposes.

Spoiler
    Show
    On the flip side, 3/5 illuminations and no costume progression does show the price paid for inward-focused power.

Shining Resilience (Su): To be a dawnguard to be light made flesh - a creature of such radiance that even the most grievous injuries are little more than an inconvenience. Whenever the dawnguard receives damage from any source, she may choose to delay up to a maximum of [charisma modifier * class level] points of damage or half the total damage inflicted, whichever is lower. Damage delayed in this fashion is added to a delayed damage pool until the end of the dawnguard's turn, at which point her delayed damage pool empties completely and afflicts her with an amount of nonlethal physical damage equal to the amount emptied from the pool. If the dawnguard is immune to nonlethal damage, this is dealt as lethal damage instead.

Spoiler
    Show
    Not only does this make it difficult to outright kill a dawnguard, it has the side effect of essentially doubling any healing they receive. A good tank needs to be able to draw attention and then survive it - this is the dawnguard's core mechanic for managing the latter.

Undeniable Demand (Su): The shining splendor of a dawnguard demands the attention of her foes, and woe to those that would foolishly attack her allies. At 2nd level, and again at 4th level, the penalty inflicted by the Demanding Luminosity feat worsens by -1.

Spoiler
    Show
    No defender is going to complain about being more difficult to ignore. It's a minor effect, but a welcome one.

Vitality (Ex): A dawnguard is made of sterner stuff than her physical body might imply. Beginning at 2nd level, a dawnguard's maximum hit points increase by 2 for every hit die they possess. At 4th level, this bonus increases to 4 hit points per hit dice.

Spoiler
    Show
    Of all the defenses in the game - miss chance, damage reduction, save boosts, AC - hit points are arguably the weakest. Even so, there is something viscerally enjoyable about having that raw toughness, and it will still serve well against more straightforward enemies.

Inexhaustible (Su): A dawnguard never truly tires - her aches and pains are washed away by the soothing light that flows through her veins. At 3rd level, a dawnguard gains fast healing equal to her charisma modifier. Additionally, so long as she spends at least four hours of a day exposed to natural sunlight, she does not need to sleep in order to stave off fatigue. The dawnguard may still be fatigued or exhausted by other means, and she may still sleep if she so chooses.

Spoiler
    Show
    Finally toss away those old wands of lesser vigor! A dawnguard is at her best in a gauntlet, facing down one foe after the next and effortlessly recuperating in between. But maybe more importantly, this means that damage to you doesn't sap one drop of party resources, making you an even more ideal target.

Magnificent Challenger (Su): A dawnguard of 5th level is a beacon of power and endurance - a stalwart shield for her allies against all the darkness of the world. She need not announce her demands, for her mere presence fills the wicked with a simmering dread. Once per round, the dawnguard may evoke a blast with the Challenge shape component as a free action.

Spoiler
    Show
    Champions are starved for swift actions, and those that enjoy challenge or imbue illuminations are doubly plagued. The action economy here allows the dawnguard the precious luxury of managing her costume or cartridges while still maintaining threat across the battlefield.
    Last edited by Selinia; 2014-04-24 at 09:49 AM.

Homebrew: