New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 36 of 39 FirstFirst ... 112627282930313233343536373839 LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,080 of 1142
  1. - Top - End - #1051
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Tome of Radiance: Mastering the Power of Love and Justice

Right, my mistake; negative costs are definitely impossible, though :-)
    Tome of Radiance, a Magical Girl sourcebook for 3.5/PF.

"Jamie" is fine. TH is mostly there to make sure the name would be free on any forum I'd want to register :-)

Extended signature

2. - Top - End - #1052
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sreservoir View Post
    ...and no, your "hyperbole" is not accurate because 2×EL motes is a very salient restriction:
    And it has nothing at all to do with the crafting of illuminations. It doesn't matter if your mote pool is 2×EL or 100×EL; your pool for crafting illuminations is equal to your evoker level, period, end of sentence. Your pool literally -- and yes, I am using that term correctly -- has nothing to do with crafting illuminations. Yet it keeps coming up over and over again, making it a very confusing read unless you're already familiar with the concepts.
    "The bigger the headache, the bigger the pill.”
    — George Clinton

3. - Top - End - #1053
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Funkenstein View Post
    And it has nothing at all to do with the crafting of illuminations. It doesn't matter if your mote pool is 2×EL or 100×EL; your pool for crafting illuminations is equal to your evoker level, period, end of sentence. Your pool literally -- and yes, I am using that term correctly -- has nothing to do with crafting illuminations. Yet it keeps coming up over and over again, making it a very confusing read unless you're already familiar with the concepts.
    There is no pool for crafting illuminations. You select components, each of which has a mote cost associated with it. Once you add up all the individual mote costs, you get the final mote cost required to evoke that illumination, which is a maximum of your evoker level.
    Avatar of Furude Setsuna, by Telasi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mephit View Post
    Don't worry, I like my characters the way I like my coffee: Strong, but with no cheese in it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Akagi
    Don't hesitate to tell the people you care about the feelings you have for them, because they may not be there tomorrow.

4. - Top - End - #1054
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Funkenstein View Post
    your mote pool literally has nothing to do with crafting illuminations in the most literal sense: those letters do not even cooccur in the same paragraph with any description of crafting illuminations. frankly I don't see where confusion would arise unless you flat-out didn't read the illuminations section, which, you know, is the primary source of information about illuminations.

the evoker level upper bound of mote cost for a single illumination is related to your mote pool only insofar as they are measured in the same units. they are separate limits with separate terminology. if you insist on conflating them you will of course confuse yourself.

5. - Top - End - #1055
    Titan in the Playground

The only limit on crafting illuminations is the maximum cost (besides the limits set by class+feats on what components you know). There's no other pool that's used for illumination crafting. You have a maximum cost, in motes. That's not a pool. It is a "limited amount of points to work with" in that you are limited by it and it is measured in motes (which can be considered to be a sort of points), but you don't spend anything on crafting illuminations.

Separately from this, you have a mote pool, which is the amount of motes you may spend per round.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

6. - Top - End - #1056

Aww, no answers.

I have two more comments, however:

The Overlimit feat still refers to the "Limit Form" class feature. Limit Form was replaced by Limit Boost, but it doesn't look like the feat itself was updated (or if how it would work w/simply replacing the ability names is the intended effect; I never read the limit form class feature).

And speaking of limit boost, is there any reason why they can't simply be per encounter? As it stands now a champion must refresh their limit boosts and cartridges with separate 5-minute rituals, so 10 minutes total after each fight. I think they used to both be refreshed with the same ritual before Champions no longer had to ready illuminations.

EDIT: I have a third comment after all: Font of life is (Ex). The type transformation at level 20 is at least supposed to be (Ex) based on the responses I got the last time I asked about that. Why isn't force of personality, which uses the same fluff as font and such, extraordinary? 6th level is past merely dipping into the class to pick up the power, and Champions already get hit hard by antimagic fields and dead magic zones.
    Last edited by Magikeeper; 2015-06-09 at 03:46 PM.

7. - Top - End - #1057

Quote Originally Posted by Magikeeper View Post
    Hrm, I don't see an FAQ. Apologies if these questions have already been asked:

> Does the Resolve foundation heal undead? It doesn't say anything about using positive energy...
    no reason it shouldn't.

fwiw positive energy doesn't technically antiheal undead, either—even the positive energy plane grants fast healing to undead and all that; that's actually specifically a property of the most common healing spells. (this is a common, often implicit, and probably reasonable houserule.)

resolve foundation fluff doesn't really seem like undead shouldn't benefit, either, though.

> When smiting after an enemy triggers a challenge illumination, do you have to wait until your turn? Or can you somehow perform the free action during something else's turn? It seems like the intent is the former, since the base duration is 1 round and would thus be mostly unusable without augmenting it if you have to wait until your next turn?
    it explicitly lasts until the end of your next turn, so you can take the action on your next turn. (and I guess if they shut you down before your turn, you don't get to follow up on that challenge.)

8. - Top - End - #1058

Quote Originally Posted by Barrier Secondary Components
    Breath [Champion, Empath, Stargazer]
    [Mote Cost: 3m/rank]
    Breath is life, and there is no breath greater than the winds that sweep the world. With an illumination wielding this component, a magical girl can rouse the winds to her her command, conducting them as a maestro might lead a symphony. The interior of the barrier is subjected to Moderate Wind, blowing in a direction of the evoker's choosing. For each rank of this component beyond the first, the severity of the wind force increases by one step.
    In regards to the direction of the wind, would it be possible to make the direction be "inward" for a strongholds shape, essentially creating a vortex effect and trapping anyone small enough who failed their save?

Also, assuming that the above is possible, what would happen should this barrier affect a creature larger than the size of the barrier (for example, a 5' radius sphere with tornado force winds against the tarrasque)?
    Last edited by Morcleon; 2015-06-10 at 11:38 PM.
    Don't worry, I like my characters the way I like my coffee: Strong, but with no cheese in it.
    Don't hesitate to tell the people you care about the feelings you have for them, because they may not be there tomorrow.

9. - Top - End - #1059
    Dwarf in the Playground

Been recently reading this because someone is bringing this in as homebrew material.

About the Magical Idol's Set the Stage ability, it notes that the ability is activated as long as you are maintaining a bardic performance, but then proceeds to say that as long as the motes are invested, the duration will not end. So is the duration dependent on maintaining a bardic performance or not?

Also, what action is it to invest? It notes that the investing is like imbuement...so is it a swift action to invest? Do you already have to have the barrier up to invest?
    Last edited by AncientSpark; 2015-07-01 at 09:00 PM.

10. - Top - End - #1060

Quote Originally Posted by AncientSpark View Post
    Been recently reading this because someone is bringing this in as homebrew material.

About the Magical Idol's Set the Stage ability, it notes that the ability is activated as long as you are maintaining a bardic performance, but then proceeds to say that as long as the motes are invested, the duration will not end. So is the duration dependent on maintaining a bardic performance or not?
    Quote Originally Posted by Selinia View Post
    Set the Stage (Su): For a true performer, all the world is as a stage, awaiting nothing more than a skilled artist to bring it to life. Beginning at 5th level, the magical idol may choose to invest the motes spent on a barrier illumination rather than merely expending them, provided she is currently maintaining a bardic performance. Investing motes into a illumination works exactly as investing motes into a costume, as long as the motes remain invested, the barrier's duration will not end. If the investment ends, the barrier lasts for one additional round.

Spoiler
    Show
    Finding the motes to invest in this can be tricky, but when it works this offers a very powerful tool for exerting battlefield control, and allows the magical idol to craft her illuminations with less regard for the Ancients component. Unlike most evokers, a magical idol may even find ready reason to keep a compliment of inexpensive barriers on hand, so as to be able to control the battlefield without such heavy investment.
    I'm reading this to mean that that the activation (with mote investment) must be while maintaining a performance, but nothing prevents the effect from staying around afterward, you just can't change your mote investments after.

Quote Originally Posted by AncientSpark View Post
    Also, what action is it to invest? It notes that the investing is like imbuement...so is it a swift action to invest? Do you already have to have the barrier up to invest?
    "works exactly as investing motes into a costume", so swift action to allocate, free action to withdraw.

11. - Top - End - #1061
    Pixie in the Playground

I love this class's flavor a whole lot, and have been wanting to play an magical girl for a while now. Luckily for me, my DM is letting me do a conversion of the Champion for his pathfinder campaign!

I've been thinking a lot about the balance of it all, since I don't really want to be over-powered and make the rest of the party feel inadequate. The Illuminations seem like they give you stupid damage output at early levels. We'll be playing at level three, meaning if I choose a Mighty device (which I have, naturally), use the Oversized Imbuement, then use an Assault blast with the Tremors foundation (boosted to 3 motes) against an enemy with his back to a wall, I'd do 2d12+3d6+strength damage in addition to knocking the guy prone. This is something I could do every round thanks to the regenerating mote pool. The character I have in mind would be sort of a force of nature once she's been cornered or pissed off enough to stop holding back, but this seems a little too nuts.

It looks like it scales way too well, especially compared to the other classes. It has the potential for infinite healing outside of battle, which a level 3 Cleric can't do. It can do 2d6 damage as a touch attack against any two enemies every round, which a level 3 Wizard can't do. It can get bigger damage dice than any Fighter reasonably can. I'm not really sure how this balance works in 3.5 since it's been eons since I've played it, but in Pathfinder it seems pretty broken as it is (barring that my understanding of the way these features work might be flawed).

I've basically been trying to nerf myself without changing the way it scales too much, and the best limitation I've come up with is basically approaching illuminations the same way the high-power stuff in a lot of anime is: you can only evoke illuminations a number of times per-day equal to the number of illuminations know.

I'm curious as to whether or not anyone else has thoughts on this. I'm too big a fan of this character concept to just drop the class for balance reasons.

12. - Top - End - #1062
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Burpito View Post
    I love this class's flavor a whole lot, and have been wanting to play an magical girl for a while now. Luckily for me, my DM is letting me do a conversion of the Champion for his pathfinder campaign!

I've been thinking a lot about the balance of it all, since I don't really want to be over-powered and make the rest of the party feel inadequate. The Illuminations seem like they give you stupid damage output at early levels. We'll be playing at level three, meaning if I choose a Mighty device (which I have, naturally), use the Oversized Imbuement, then use an Assault blast with the Tremors foundation (boosted to 3 motes) against an enemy with his back to a wall, I'd do 2d12+3d6+strength damage in addition to knocking the guy prone. This is something I could do every round thanks to the regenerating mote pool. The character I have in mind would be sort of a force of nature once she's been cornered or pissed off enough to stop holding back, but this seems a little too nuts.

It looks like it scales way too well, especially compared to the other classes. It has the potential for infinite healing outside of battle, which a level 3 Cleric can't do. It can do 2d6 damage as a touch attack against any two enemies every round, which a level 3 Wizard can't do. It can get bigger damage dice than any Fighter reasonably can. I'm not really sure how this balance works in 3.5 since it's been eons since I've played it, but in Pathfinder it seems pretty broken as it is (barring that my understanding of the way these features work might be flawed).

I've basically been trying to nerf myself without changing the way it scales too much, and the best limitation I've come up with is basically approaching illuminations the same way the high-power stuff in a lot of anime is: you can only evoke illuminations a number of times per-day equal to the number of illuminations know.

I'm curious as to whether or not anyone else has thoughts on this. I'm too big a fan of this character concept to just drop the class for balance reasons.
    Let's see...
    Mighty is 1d12, doubled on a full attack if you don't take extra attacks... the rules are vague on using it when your BAB only gives one attack.
    Oversized would indeed make that 2d12, so 4d12 if the doubling is allowed.
    Assault-Tremors against a wall would then do 1d6 per mote, so 3d6.
    And then you add Strength... yeah, that looks about right. Average damage assuming no Mighty-double: 13+10.5+(1.5*STR).

On the other hand... average 3rd-level raging Barbarian attack with Greataxe, for the high low-op core-book damage: 6.5+3+(1.5*STR) (taking the Strength bonus from Rage separately).

So yeah, you're higher. It'll take one hit instead of two for 3rd-level things with decent HP. Of course, if they're not back-to-a-wall, then you have to either use different illuminations (for 3d4 instead of 3d6) or only do 1d6 damage with that part while also moving them out of reach. That takes off 4 to 6 average damage depending on your choice. You lose another 6.5 if you want any Imbuement other than Oversized.

Healing works, true, but is a good bit slower (1d6/level/minute/person). Past the low levels, healing is just going to be done by whoever happens to be holding the Wand of Lesser Vigor or wearing the Belt of Healing or whatever - it's not efficient to use spell slots on it, and the items are cheap - but at the start, having it free is definitely a big deal.

Unsure about the Wizard comparison - too many spells to look through and I don't play blaster-casters much, so I'd be too likely to look at entirely the wrong spells.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

13. - Top - End - #1063
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    Unsure about the Wizard comparison - too many spells to look through and I don't play blaster-casters much, so I'd be too likely to look at entirely the wrong spells.
    I've never actually played a caster in pathfinder myself, but I've combed through the spells quite a bit. The evocation school seems to be what you'd go for if you wanted raw DPS, which means if you wanted massive damage as a level 3 wizard, you'd probably pick something like Scorching Ray (4d6) or Spontaneous Immolation (3d6, target catches fire). These are really good for damage output, but can only be done once per day. Taking into account bonus spells, they could do it one additional time per day, max. I'm not sure to what extent high-level wizards get their damage boosted, especially taking into account metamagic feats and whatnot, but I am aware it gets pretty absurd, so evokers may be comparable at that point.

This is where my main issue with evokers come into play. Evokers can get similar levels of damage delivered in a similar fashion, but that damage is available every round, basically for free. Evoking illuminations every round isn't something I'd necessarily do in practice, but since it's mechanically how it works it feels like it needs some sort of drawback to counterbalance all that firepower. The mechanics fit the type of character the class aims to create pretty well, so I'm not entirely how to go about doing this without killing the flavor.

The DM suggested a Dragon Ball-esque "power up" mechanic for regaining motes as opposed having them automatically coming back every turn. Basically I'd spend a full-round action that provokes opportunity attacks to regain my full pool.

Another idea we came up with together was that healing Illuminations have a time-limit on how long they're effective. If the ally was injured received less than 1/2[Evoker level] rounds prior to evoking, it would work. Otherwise, it would fizzle.

Both of these solutions seem adequate, but we're still looking for approaches that would be more effective or thematically appropriate.
    Last edited by Burpito; 2015-07-03 at 08:49 PM.

14. - Top - End - #1064
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Oversized Bolt weapon with Twinned Device and mote investiture. Have all your devices be held by the Twinned Device rules and pick up a sling or something. When you need to kill something, you target a square instead of a person and full attack.

Now everyone within 10ft of that square has to make a reflex save at 10+1/2 level+Stat Mod, taking 6d10+[3/2 Cha] damage, 3d10+[3/2 Cha] on a succesful save. Your range cap is your range increment. You can do this every round, and you can do it at level 1 instead without the mote investiture for 4-2d8 damage.

The closest comparison that's spamable is Firey Burst, available at level 3. This is a 5ft burst within 30ft [4 Squares vs 13 [Targeted square, all the squares around it, and the 4 squares to the N,S,E+W are all within 10ft], Range cap of 30ft vs as far as you can hit with your held weapon.], doing 2d6 fire damage at level 3 if you reserve your highest level spell slot.
    Additionally, if you make your full attack with a weapon that can target a larger area, you get even more squares hit... Also, your damage increases by 2d10 every 3 Levels. Additionally, Radiant Armorer gives you free motes for Twinned Device that don't go against the Cap, and allows you to combine an assault blast with the attack at level 15. Also, you can apply the Enhanced Imbuement, and due to the wording of Twinned Device, you can enchant the primary device and have all the other copies get the enchantment.

Tome of Radiance is OP for damage and out of combat healing. Additionally, you can generate concealment from level 1 boosting your defence nicely, oh, and you can get full plate equivalent armor for free on level 1, being a further defence boost. So at level 1 as a Champion, you out damage everyone, are tankier than any frontliner [18 Base AC, +1 from Surge, +10% Concealment from Barrier.], And can heal better than a Cleric/Druid except in combat.
    Or, be a Empath Instead, and you can also get the ability to heal better than a paladin. In exchange, it might be harder to hit the square you want with your weapon, but damn if you haven't just taken 3/4ths of the parties roles at level 1.

The Rogue is still relevant because he can find traps and sneak around, and the Wizard will become relevant with his superior crowd control and non combat abilities. But, a Empath or Champion can replace everyone else fairly easily.
    Last edited by 5ColouredWalker; 2015-07-03 at 09:23 PM.

15. - Top - End - #1065

Reposting my question since the thread is active again.

Quote Originally Posted by Barrier Secondary Components
    Breath [Champion, Empath, Stargazer]
    Breath is life, and there is no breath greater than the winds that sweep the world. With an illumination wielding this component, a magical girl can rouse the winds to her her command, conducting them as a maestro might lead a symphony. The interior of the barrier is subjected to Moderate Wind, blowing in a direction of the evoker's choosing. For each rank of this component beyond the first, the severity of the wind force increases by one step.
    In regards to the direction of the wind, would it be possible to make the direction be "inward" for a strongholds shape, essentially creating a vortex effect and trapping anyone small enough who failed their save?

Also, assuming that the above is possible, what would happen should this barrier affect a creature larger than the size of the barrier (for example, a 5' radius sphere with tornado force winds against the tarrasque)?

16. - Top - End - #1066
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 5ColouredWalker View Post
    ...but damn if you haven't just taken 3/4ths of the parties roles at level 1.
    Haha, I'm worried about doing this without even trying. I went into this class wanting to focus on a middle-ground between damage output and tanking, though I haven't even looked at the barrier Illuminations yet (just blasts and surges), and I probably won't knowing it can just give me concealment for free. My feats are Diehard, Endurance, and Power Attack. Ability scores are as follows (15 point buy):

STR: 13
    DEX: 12
    CON: 10
    INT: 10
    WIS: 10
    CHA: 18

Rolled okay on HD, so I'm at 22 for my max HP. There's a ten in CON because I planned around Force of Personality at level 6. The stats are still up in the air and can be changed since we haven't started playing yet.

I've got a surge that lets me pump strength up a couple of points, and that would be where I get a lot of my static damage bonus from. I'd be wearing either medium or heavy armor and have my imbuement be Nimble so I could maintain mobility.

Really I'm not looking to pick sub-optimal (relative to this class) features, but a good way to homebrew the homebrew and nerf it so it isn't so easy to be better than everyone else at everything.

17. - Top - End - #1067
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Honestly, the best way to Self Nerf would be to not touch Twinned Device, and not take any Assault Blasts until around level 10 when teir 1 casters are firmly taking over. Doing so would make you into a character comparable to a paladin. The examples that we've given so far display a optimization ceiling of upper teir 3 or maybe lower teir 2, but if you just ignore their existance and don't touch Assault blasts at lower levels?

Your healing is unlimited but slower, your buffs are better but more limited, you have built in ranged blasting that's ok, and your melee power will be alongside other fighters. Not the greatest balance compared to some people, but you're not going to completely overshadow people in your new role of Paladin 2.0.

18. - Top - End - #1068
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 5ColouredWalker View Post
    Honestly, the best way to Self Nerf would be to not touch Twinned Device, and not take any Assault Blasts until around level 10 when teir 1 casters are firmly taking over. Doing so would make you into a character comparable to a paladin. The examples that we've given so far display a optimization ceiling of upper teir 3 or maybe lower teir 2, but if you just ignore their existance and don't touch Assault blasts at lower levels?

Your healing is unlimited but slower, your buffs are better but more limited, you have built in ranged blasting that's ok, and your melee power will be alongside other fighters. Not the greatest balance compared to some people, but you're not going to completely overshadow people in your new role of Paladin 2.0.
    That's better than being flatout better than everyone. I'm not entirely sure how this will end up stacking up against the rest of the party, but we shall see. Thanks for the pointers!

19. - Top - End - #1069

Quote Originally Posted by Morcleon View Post
    Reposting my question since the thread is active again.

as far as I can tell, there's no basis or precedent for such a thing, so ask your group. the only thing that seems might forbid the wind is "in a direction of the evoker's choosing", which depending on how strictly you want to read the number, could be taken to require a single uniform direction. there's not that much space between single uniform direction allowed and defining a vector function at every point with a fixed magnitude, though, I guess. for what it's worth, vortices are not quite directed "inward", either.

if something is bigger than the barrier, the wind's probably not going to affect it very much; it might be worth considering whether there's actually any air in the barrier to have a wind if the creature is there. short of that, divide the windspeed by the fraction of the creature's area or something? this is a problem which applies even if it's not directed in multiple directions, I think.

the wind rules don't really work very well for situations without a uniform wind speed and direction over the entire map, though. it's telling that the [Air] spells that funge the wind basically don't cite those rules at all ...

tl;dr is I don't think there's a coherent answer here though.

Quote Originally Posted by Burpito View Post

the healing issue, offhand, isn't out of line: you get up to one heal off for each party member during an encounter, sure, and unlimited top-up out of combat, but a cleric also gets a bit more than half as much healing per shot for the whole party, 3+Cha/day, out of channel energy, which is probably something like 6-10d6 ea. that, and I out-of-combat healing isn't considered an interesting resource outside of special circumstances under ToR's design assumptions, i.e. 3.5e with wands of lesser vigor going around.

(the other thing is, unlimited healing isn't really a spotlight-stealing ability; it benefits everyone in the party, and doesn't break thing in a way that the system can reasonably fail to account for.)

it is vaguely plausible that the damage output at low levels has not actually seen that much balance-checking, since base damage interactions kind of go away asymptotically compared to blast damage. that might need reevaluation. possibly mighty and oversized as written are mechanically problematic.

20. - Top - End - #1070
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

So, after playing with it a bit and looking at it... the Intelligent Device feat scales really poorly. Any ideas?
    Befriend the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

21. - Top - End - #1071
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bacchante View Post
    So, after playing with it a bit and looking at it... the Intelligent Device feat scales really poorly. Any ideas?
    At level 3 it doesn't work period. Cheapest intelligent device it +2k GP, you only have 1.5k GP to play with at that level. Level squared times 250 GP (500 GP at level 11+) would be manageable, 2250 GP at level 3, though for about 1/3rd your levels it's value is more than half your WBL. Maybe a curve function that starts at 2k GP and caps around 100-200k GP my level 20 might work, though it would still be a noticeable WBL buff, along with the free weapon/armour you get.

On a different note, was thinking about the Stargazer's Complex Formula. Not sure I like the +1-3 extra known illuminations (which are only usable once per encounter) that have a mote value 1-5 motes higher with no extra cost. It actually looked at first glance more like you have 1-3 illuminations which you can spend 1-5 more motes in the crafting of. Almost think that it would work better to, and give a better use for that extra mote pool that Stargazers get and all. As it stands I'm not entirely sure how you would use those extra motes. Not enough actions in a round to actually use 2-3 powers and/or shuffle them out of/into your costume/device most of the time. Unless you have like one round where you go like full nova with your powers.

22. - Top - End - #1072

spending all actions in illuminations, or just using two actions on full-power illuminations while you have any motes tied up in costume, can run you into the reservoir.

no comment (didn't think about it very hard) on whether that'd work better but it's not actually dysfunctional currently.

23. - Top - End - #1073
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Selinia View Post
    Surge Components

Foundation Components:
    Spoiler
    Show

Battles [Champion, Empath, Stargazer]
    Awed bystanders have whispered often of the alacrity of the most powerful magical girls. They move not with the precise form and motion of a master swordsman, but with a blinding swiftness born of passion and the very light they wield. If this illumination costs at least 7m, when the recipient of the surge makes a full attack or a charge attack, she may make an additional attack at her highest base attack bonus. For every additional 7m of cost, the illumination grants its target an additional attack at her highest base attack bonus. These extra attacks do not stack with those granted by Haste or similar effects.

Consumption [Stargazer]
    To an evoker, light is life, and wonder, and beauty untold. But such radiance can be an awful thing to those who have not been touched by its power - a ghastly-bright inner fire that consumes their very souls. The target of the surge must make a Fortitude save or contract a supernatural illness known as Radiant Wasting, the result of a shard of tainted light embedded deep in their essence. This functions just as any other supernatural disease, with a save DC equal to the evoker's illumination save DC, an incubation period of one day, and no infection vector beyond use of this surge. Radiant Wasting deals 1d4 damage to one ability score, chosen by the evoker when she crafts an illumination with this component. For every 4m of this illumination's cost, she may select an additional ability score to deal 1d4 damage to, or increase the damage to an already selected ability by +2. Radiant Wasting may be cured like any other disease, but effects that emulate diseases (such as the spell Contagion) are unable to mimic it: Radiant Wasting's symptoms are too volatile, and too closely tied to individual evokers, to be reproduced with any sort of coherency. An individual who contracts Radiant Wasting from a surge with this component retains their affliction even after the surge's duration would otherwise end.

Courage[Champion, Empath, Stargazer]
    The few against the many. The small against the great and terrible. The weak against the strong. Such are the battles faced by en evoker, and if she is to weather them she and her allies must stand fast with the courage to withstand any storm. For every 2m in the illumination's final cost, its target receives a +1 radiant bonus to AC, to a minimum bonus of +1.

Denunciations [Empath, Stargazer]
    To be a magical girl is to be the very embodiment of mercy and forgiveness. It is rare for such beings to express true hatred... but simple anger is a different story entirely. The cosmos shudder at the righteous fury of an evoker, and the targets of their wrath feel fate itself conspiring against them. For every 4m of this illumination's cost, targets of the effect suffer a -1 penalty to all saving throws, to a minimum penalty of -1.

Diamonds [Champion, Empath, Stargazer]
    Not easily is the light snuffed out, and a magical girl wields power to grant herself and her allies the strength of the candle that remains lit even in the fiercest of storms. The recipient of this surge gains DR 1/- for its duration. For each 2m of this illumination's cost, the DR granted by this component increases by 1.

Isolation [Empath, Stargazer]
    There is power in a glorious alignment of comrades-at-arms. A whole that is often greater than the sum of its components parts. With the application of ruthless logic, then, the obvious way to strike at such a force is to shatter the very ties that lend it its power, leaving each to be ground into a lonely pile of dust. The target of this surge must make a will saving throw or be afflicted with a dire curse of isolation. The afflicted creature gains a Spell Resistance and Power Resistance of 15 + [the final mote cost of this illumination]. This resistance is controlled by the evoker - she may choose freely whether to allow any given effect to pass through or whether to force it to roll spell or power resistance as usual. Additionally, for every 3m of this illumination's cost, the evoker may suppress a single ongoing magical effect currently affecting her target, chosen at random. The evoker may deliberately exclude any effects from this random selection, so long as she is aware of its presence on her target.

Justice [Empath, Stargazer]
    The world is an unfair place, but where walk the wielders of light, justice follows close behind. Those marked by this surge receive a brand of either Innocence or Prosecution, chosen when the illumination is crafted. Whenever a target with a brand of Innocence is dealt damage, their attacker suffers 1 point of retributive damage for every 6 points of damage dealt. Whenever a target with a brand of Prosecution deals damage, they suffer retributive damage equal to 1 point for every 6 points of damage dealt. The application of either form of brand can be resisted with a successful will saving throw. For every 4m of this illumination's cost, the ratio of provoking damage to retributive damage improves – 4m raising the ration to to 1:5, 8m to 1:4, 12m to 1:3, 16m to 1:2, and 20m to 1:1.

Might [Champion, Empath, Stargazer]
    The ideal warrior has no weakness, but even the most rigorous training will leave sometimes leave one cursing that their skills are hindered by their own feeble body. Unsurprisingly, given how young many evokers are when they first begin to wield their power, one of the most common surge components is one to reinforce and fortify natural potential. The recipient of the surge receives a +2 Enhancement bonus to an ability score chosen when the illumination is crafted. For every 3m of the illumination's cost, the evoker may add a +2 Enhancement bonus to another ability score. The same ability score can be chosen for the boost imparted by an additional rank multiple times, and the effects of each rank stack. For example, a 3m Might Surge could grant +2 Str/+2 Con, or +4 Str.

Mockery [Champion, Empath, Stargazer]
    Laughter is death to fear. The most dreadful of villains can often be reduced to a spluttering buffoon with a few well-placed jibes, and devious plots are merely foolish when theatrics are countered by satire. When no targets for jest readily present themselves, the component of Mockery can induce the sort of catastrophic pratfall that might bring shame to even the most egotistical foe. For every 1m of the illumination's cost, its target suffers a -1 penalty to their next attack roll or skill check. This effect can be negated by a successful Will saving throw. When the target misses an attack, the effect of this component immediately ends. Other effects of the illumination persist for the usual duration.

Protection [Champion, Empath, Stargazer]
    When a friend is hurt, an evoker may draw upon her power to heal them. But for those evokers who understand the art of protection, their friends need not be hurt to begin with. For every 1m of this illumination's cost, targets of the surge gain 4 temporary hit points. These temporary hit points last for the duration of the illumination.

Resolve [Champion, Empath, Stargazer]
    When her allies are worn and battered by the trials they face, a magical girl may lend her radiance to bring new vigor to weary flesh and bone. For every 1m of this illumination's cost, targets of the surge are cured of 1d6 points of damage. After receiving healing from an illumination with the Resolve component, the target cannot benefit from the effects of this component for one minute. Targets under this restriction still receive the benefit of any other effects of an illumination, and benefit from other sources of healing normally.

Sanctity[Empath, Stargazer]
    There are many strange and wicked things in the world, and at times it seems that each offers more gruesome torments than the last. Against such manifold terrors, an evoker must at times shield herself and her allies against attacks bearing all manner of unwholesome effects. For every 3m of this illumination's cost, targets of the effect gain a +1 bonus to all saving throws.

Shape Components:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Awakening [Champion, Empath, Stargazer]
    [Mote Cost: 0m]
    There is power buried deep within every evoker to rival the mightiest of heroes. To call upon that wellspring, even unknowingly, is to tap a near-limitless source of potential, and even the mightiest of surges can seem effortless when turned inward. The surge targets the evoker.

Smiting [Champion, Empath]
    [Mote Cost: 1m]
    Traditionally, crafting a surge is an act of finesse and meticulous control, gathering radiant power in precise ratios to eventually unleash in a cascade of power. Still, some evokers prefer to just power up their weapon and hit things. A surge with this component empowers any single weapon she is currently wielding. The next time the magical girl makes a successful attack with that weapon, the target of her attack suffers the effects of the imbued surge along with those of the attack itself. If it is not discharged, the imbuement fades at the beginning of the evoker's next turn.

Bolts [Champion, Empath, Stargazer]
    [Mote Cost: 1m + 4m/rank beyond the first]
    Arcing power over great distances, the component of Bolts allows an evoker to provide aid to her allies (or woe to her enemies) even from across a battlefield. The surge is a ranged touch attack. Willing targets are hit automatically, but enemies must be struck with a ranged touch attack normally. The effect can target a single creature within a 30' base range. Each rank beyond the first allows the evoker to target an additional creature within range.

Pulses [Champion, Empath, Stargazer]
    [Mote Cost: 1m + 3m/rank beyond the first]
    While many struggle to channel them into singular applications, some evokers find it easier to simply let their surges of power wash out around them in a great flood. The suge is an aura affecting valid targets within a burst possessing a 5' radius for each rank of this component. Upon crafting the illumination, an evoker may choose if she wants the aura’s effect to target only allies, only enemies, or both.

Secondary Components:
    Spoiler
    Show

Amplitude [Champion, Empath, Stargazer]
    [Mote Cost: 1m/rank]
    Boosting the cohesion and longevity of a surge, this component allows the range of an illumination to be dramatically increased. For each rank of the Amplitude component applied to an illumination, its range is increased by an amount equal to its base range. This does not affect the radius, length, or other measurements of any potential Shape effects, and does not benefit illuminations whose Shape does not specify a base range.

Purity [Empath, Stargazer]
    [Mote Cost: 2m/rank]
    True healing is beyond the powers of light, save in the rarest of circumstances, but the illuminations of a magical girl can nonetheless drive away many ills of the world – even if only for a time. The target of the surge may, for its duration, ignore one of the following effects for each rank of this component; Blinded, Confused, Cowering, Dazed, Dazzled, Deafened, Energy Drained, Exhausted, Fascinated, Fatigued, Frightened, Nauseated, Panicked, Paralyzed, Shaken, Sickened, or Turned. Which effects are suppressed must be chosen at illumination creation. Each selection of ‘Energy Drained’ suppresses only one negative level. The evoker must suppress Shaken before she can suppress Frightened, Frightened before Panicked or Cowering, Fatigued before Exhausted, Sickened before Nauseated, and Dazed before Paralyzed. These effects are not removed from their target, nor are they re-applied when this surge fades - this illumination merely suppresses the effects of the conditions affected.

Awe [Empath, Stargazer]
    [Mote Cost: 3m]
    Throughout history, wielders of the light have held a special place in the hearts of the common people. In modern times, magical girls are revered as heroes and idols, and in ancient ones, it was not uncommon for them to bask in worship as the resplendent goddesses of their people. There is a fundamental awe in beholding the radiance and purity of light, capable of making knees weaken and bend. The target of the illumination must make a will save or fall prone.

Burdens [Empath, Stargazer]
    [Mote Cost: 3m]
    No heart is entirely free of darkness - nor should it be. The traces of shadow are what allow the mortal races to grasp the light with such fervor. Yet, the radiance of a magical girl can make even the lightest of hearts feel too heavy to bear, and the component of Burdens serves to convert metaphorical chains into literal ones, binding a creature with their own regrets. The target of the illumination must make a reflex save, or be entangled.

Echoes [Champion, Empath, Stargazer]
    A magical girl’s surges of power burn brightly, but their effects fade all too swiftly at times. Though the initial rush of power lasts but a moment, it is possible with practice to maintain the echoes of power long enough to leave a lasting mark on the battlefield. For each rank of this component, the surge’s effects last an additional round.

Oaths [Champion, Empath]
    An evoker standing in defense of her friends will stand unwavering against impossible foes, and will allow nothing to stand between her and those she has sworn to protect. Whenever the target of an illumination with at least one rank in this component takes damage, the evoker may redirect up to 25% of that damage on to herself as a free action, regardless of distance. For every rank of this component beyond the first, the evoker may redirect an additional 25% of an attack's damage onto themselves when using this ability, up to a maximum of 100%.

Mirage [Stargazer]
    [Mote Cost: 4m/rank]
    Calling upon the capricious nature of relative light and space, the Mirage component is a powerful defensive measure against those unable to pierce its trickery. The recipient of the surge gains a number of illusory duplicates equal to the number of ranks in this component. These duplicates share her space and mimic her actions, functioning identically to those created by the spell Mirror Image.

Emptiness [Empath, Stargazer]
    [Mote Cost: 4m/rank]
    Better than most, evokers understand that there are few torments more terrible than loneliness and isolation. This isolation is not only a fitting punishment, but also at times a potent tactic in battle, leading to the inception of the rather brutal component of Emptiness. If one rank of the component is applied, the target of the surge must make a will save or be blinded or deafened, chosen when the illumination of crafted. If two ranks of the component are applied, the target suffers both effects on a failed save.

Promises [Champion, Empath, Stargazer]
    A promise instilled by the power of light is not an easy thing to break, and the powers of a magical girl can give even fiends pause to question their attacks. The target of the illumination must make a will save or be rendered unable to attack a single target of the evoker’s choice for each rank in this effect. If the target of the illumination is not aware of any conscious enemies that would be excluded from this protection, this component has no effect on it.

Pursuit [Champion, Empath, Stargazer]
    Once an evoker gets her heart set on something, the combined denizens of the lower planes might be hard pressed to sway her from her goal. The target of the illumination must make a will save (which it may voluntarily fail) or be marked by this ability. As a move action, the evoker may teleport up to her base land speed without provoking attacks of opportunity, so long as this movement ends adjacent to a creature she has marked with a pursuit effect. For each rank of this component beyond the first, the distance the evoker may teleport via this effect increases by her base land speed.

Heartbreak [Empath, Stargazer]
    [Mote Cost: 8m]
    Among the cruelest and darkest of all illuminations, the component of Heartbreak was born of unspeakable pain and tragedy. Those who wield it knowingly are dangerously close to a long fall into darkness, if indeed they still stand in the light at all. The target of the surge must make a will saving throw or experience a traumatic and ruthlessly focused memory suppression effect, binding all memories of friendship or kindness behind wrought doors of sickly radiance and sending the target into a blind rage of fear and betrayal. The target will spend each turn attacking the nearest creature, and is completely heedless of the difference between friend and foe. If the duration of the illumination is extended, each new round offers the victim of this illumination another opportunity to make a will save and shake off its effects. This is a mind-affecting effect.
    Options for the Awakening range seem rather sparse, which is unfortunate because that costs 0 motes, which means you can't just get your cost from that. May I suggest adding a secondary component along the lines of Vehement or Emphasis which increases the numerical value granted by the base component? I'm unsure of the exact balance, but there needs to be something.

24. - Top - End - #1074

Quote Originally Posted by sreservoir View Post
    spending all actions in illuminations, or just using two actions on full-power illuminations while you have any motes tied up in costume, can run you into the reservoir.

no comment (didn't think about it very hard) on whether that'd work better but it's not actually dysfunctional currently.
    That is a very valid point. Still feel the Stargazer is missing a little something that set's it definitely above the other two classes when it comes to illuminations. They seem to be the "Magic" class in this system, but don't really have that large of a power advantage when it comes to illuminations IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Bailey Matutine View Post
    Options for the Awakening range seem rather sparse, which is unfortunate because that costs 0 motes, which means you can't just get your cost from that. May I suggest adding a secondary component along the lines of Vehement or Emphasis which increases the numerical value granted by the base component? I'm unsure of the exact balance, but there needs to be something.
    It's a shape I don't think it needs a cost. As far as I know there's no rule saying you can't have a mote cost that doesn't add to a shape or secondary component. For example you could probably have a Beam shaped blast illumination that costs 4m and has no secondary component. If anything you should use a Bolt shape if you have extra motes. There is literally no advantage of a self buff vs a 30ft range touch attack except for saving motes in the case of a cheaper shape.

25. - Top - End - #1075

Quote Originally Posted by Bailey Matutine View Post
    You can just use Echoes to add more duration to your surges so you can have more active at once.

26. - Top - End - #1076

Quote Originally Posted by Zancloufer View Post
    That is a very valid point. Still feel the Stargazer is missing a little something that set's it definitely above the other two classes when it comes to illuminations. They seem to be the "Magic" class in this system, but don't really have that large of a power advantage when it comes to illuminations IMO.
    it does. if I remember correctly, we brought it up a long, long time ago, but we didn't come up with anything.

... well, Bottomless Reservoir and Boundless Creativity did come out of that, I think. Student of the Light also? I think it's written to be stargazer-specific but it also might be poorly worded and I either wasn't around for that discussion or forgot about it. boundless creativity is I think p neat, actually, although there aren't that many possible illuminations to craft that are quite so situational, but.

looking over the things, the stargazer schtick mainly seems to be more or less being able to throw around full-power (or close) illuminations with every action if they want, especially figuring in bottomless reservoir and effortless formula, or more sustainably about two full-power illuminations per round. whether the extra illumination firepower (the expected output for other classes seem to be about one at full power and maybe another substantially cheaper one, champions putting cartridges into a resplendent device aside) is a satisfactory trade-off is unclear.

27. - Top - End - #1077
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

Someone also ought to take it upon themselves to build a Companion-based Prestige Class. I kind of have an idea for one, but I'm not sure how to proceed. Fast Healing for unsummoned Companions would be one Class Feature I'd like to work in; as well as the ability to maybe invest Motes into a Companion instead of just casting the Illumination to potentially keep out more than one?

I've also been houseruling that the 'Attuned' component can qualify you for classes just as the Prisms one can, myself.
    Last edited by Bacchante; 2015-08-01 at 07:37 AM.
    Befriend the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

28. - Top - End - #1078
    Ettin in the Playground

Do Illuminations require "patience or concentration"? Would you be able to use them in a barbarian rage or similar effect?
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

29. - Top - End - #1079

Quote Originally Posted by tonberrian View Post
    Do Illuminations require "patience or concentration"? Would you be able to use them in a barbarian rage or similar effect?
    I'm not sure. I think there more like Spell Like Abilities, so the question is can you use a SLA when raging?

On a different note in an indirect response to Bacchante I have the base idea for a companion based PrC. Still not 100% sure on the class progression or name, but I'll post in the spoiler what I have done so far. It's like 90% playable in it's current state I would think, but some naming and proofreading would be nice.

Spoiler
    Show

(Class?)

Requirements
    To become a (Class?), you must fulfill the following criteria.
    Feats: Focused Talent (Compaion)
    Illuminations: Must know at least two companion illuminations with a mote cost of at least 5 each.

Class Skills:
    The (Class?) Class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are: Appraise (Int), Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Decipher Script (Int), Handle Animal (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge [All skills, taken separately] (Int), Perform (Cha), Sense Motive (Wis), Swim (Str), Tumble (Dex), Use Magical Device (Cha)
    Skill Points
    4 + Int modifier

Table: (Class?)
    Hit Dice: d8
    Level Base Attack Bonus Fort Save Ref Save Will Save Special Illuminations
    1st +0 +0 +2 +2 Companion Compendium +1 level of existing class
    2nd +1 +0 +3 +3 Soulbound Compaion +1 level of existing class
    3rd +2 +1 +3 +3 Empathetic Transfer +1 level of existing class
    4th +3 +1 +4 +4 Helping Hand +1 level of existing class
    5th +3 +1 +4 +4 Refined Focus +1 level of existing class
    6th +4 +2 +5 +5 Radiant Transfer +1 level of existing class
    7th +5 +2 +5 +5 Synchronized Action +1 level of existing class
    8th +6 +2 +6 +6 Luminous Link +1 level of existing class
    9th +6 +3 +6 +6 Greater Empathetic Transfer +1 level of existing class
    10th +7 +3 +7 +7 Duel Summon +1 level of existing class

Class Features
    Illuminations: At each level, (Class?) gains an increase in evoker level, illuminations known, illuminations readied, innate illuminations, and personas known as if they had gained a level in an illumination-using class to which they belonged before adding the prestige class level. She does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained. If she had more than one illumination-using class before becoming a (Class?), she must decide to which class to add each level for the aforementioned purposes.

Companion Compendium: Being devoted to the use of companions, the (Class?) has extensive knowledge of companions used by any and all Evokers. The (Class?) automatically knows all Foundation, Shape and Secondary components related to Companions even if they would not be available for their base Evoker Class.

Soulbound Companion (Su): Starting at level two the (Class?) can form a temporary link to their companion similar to the Soulbound feat. This link takes a full-round action to establish and lasts a number of levels equal to half their evoker level, or until the companion is dismissed. As long as the companion is within a number of feet equal to (Evoker Level + Evoker stat mod * 10) as a free action the (Class?) can call upon her companion's senses as if she was using them directly her self. Anything that requires sensory input (Line of Sight for attacks, Spot/Listen Checks) the (Class?) can use her companion as a point of reference for. In addition this feature counts as the Craft Soulbound feat for qualifying for other Soulbound feats, but only with her companion.

Empathetic Transfer (Su): From level three onward the (Class?) can share positive effects with her companion. Any healing the (Class?) gains half of it goes to her companion in addition to any healing she revives herself. In addition the (Class?) can transfer any buff or surge effect that targets her to her companion instead.
    Helping Hand (Su): At level four any companion the (Class?) has a link with can use any skill the (Class?) knows. As long as the (Class?) has established a Soulbound Link with her companion the companion can use it's 'attack' action to do any skill check as if it was the (Class?) itself. In addition the (Class?) can speak through her companion, and the range for the link increases to (Evoker Level + Evoker Stat mod * 20) feet.

Helping Hand (Su): At level four any companion the (Class?) has a link with can use any skill the (Class?) knows. As long as the (Class?) has established a Soulbound Link with her companion the companion can use it's 'attack' action to do any skill check as if it was the (Class?) itself. In addition the (Class?) can speak through her companion, and the range for the link increases to (Evoker Level + Evoker Stat mod * 20) feet.

Focused Talent (Ex): After reaching level five the (Class?) has become much more adept at focusing her companion. Instead of the full mote cost it now only costs half the mote cost of the companion to refill the companion's focus and allow it to use it's Greater Attack as a free action. Additionally a Soulbound Link only takes a Standard Action to establish.

Radiant Transfer (Su): Starting at level six the (Class?) can transfer effects of her radiant armaments, and even the weapon's themselves to her companion. As a Swift action she can transfer her weapon, shield gained from the Blazing Aegis feat, or costume effects to her companion that she has the Soulbound Link to. If the (Class?) has the twinned device feat she may target the companion as the user of her extra device(s) instead. The companion is automatically proficient with all devices and benefits from any bonuses to hit/damage that apply to the weapon transferred to it. Finally the Distance for the link to function increases to (Evoker Level + Evoker Stat Mod * 30) feet.

Synchronized Action (Ex): After gaining the seventh level in (Class?), the (Class?) can transfer her actions directly to her companion. As a Free Action the (Class?) can forgo any action she could make in a round to allow to companion to take it instead. Additionally if the (Class?) has a harmonious device now instead of spending a full round action to grant the companion an additional attack, the companion now gains an action equal to a full attack with a number of iridatives (-5 to hit per consecutive irdidative) as if it had a BaB equal to the (Class?) evoker level.

Luminous Link (Su): At level eight the (Class?) can now manifest her Illumination from her companion. Using the appropriate action (Standard, Move, Swift) the (Class?) casts here Illumination from her companion. Any range or Line of Sight assumes the companion as the originating point, and any self buffs target the companion instead. Also the range of the Luminous Link increases to (Evoker Level + Evoker Stat Mod * 40) feet.

Greater Empathetic Transfer (Su): From level nine onward the power of the Empathetic Link increases greatly. Now and healing done to the (Class?) is reflected 100% on her companion. In addition the companion gains half the effects (rounded down) of any positive status effect on the (Class?) that would not normally effect the campion. Alternately the (Class?) can transfer all the effect to her companion and only gain half the effect herself. Finally the establishment of a Soulbound Link with her companion can be forged with a swift action.

Duel Summon (Ex):
    Upon gaining the final class level the (Class?) is capable of, albeit temporarily, summoning two companions. If the (Class?) summons a second companion when one is already present, instead of disappearing automatically the (Class?) can opt to keep the first companion around. The first companion can only stay around for a number of rounds equal to 1/4th it's mote cost when summoned. Should the (Class?) summon a third companion when two are already present she can choose which companion to keep and the time they stay summoned for automatically refreshes. However the (Class?) can only have the Soulbound Link active with a single companion. Most importantly the (Class?) can transfer her Soulbound Link to a different companion she has summoned as a free action once per round. Finally the distance that the link can be active at increases to (Evoker level + Evoker Stat * 50) feet.

Besides name, I'm note 100% certain on 10/10 Illumination progression (I mean it's BASED off an entire subset of them but still) and the chassis itself. Also

30. - Top - End - #1080
    Ogre in the Playground

Personally, I'd say they don't take patience and concentration - if only because, having spent a good part of the day with my cousin's daughters, I'm convinced tween and pre-teen girls don't have the capacity for either.
    There was something here and in the avatar box, and there will eventually be again. I just need to figure out what I want...