New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 39 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Tome of Radiance: Mastering the Power of Love and Justice

I can't help but think that horizon, pilgrimage, amplitude scale far too quickly, unless by "double" you mean +100%, in which case ... well, possibly there are better ways to spell that out. because otherwise, well, that gets a bit far out quite quickly; just 20 ranks gets half the circumference of this earth, after all, for a cascade blast (and dominion barrier, while not quite, gets close!), and the moon is within reach of a champion 20.

which are allies and which are enemies is p much an arbitrary distinction, isn't it? seems silly to choose that on illumination crafting for the pulses shape.

borders and ramparts could totally do with being able to be turned to a slope >|||

2. - Top - End - #152
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sreservoir View Post
    I can't help but think that horizon, pilgrimage, amplitude scale far too quickly, unless by "double" you mean +100%, in which case ... well, possibly there are better ways to spell that out. because otherwise, well, that gets a bit far out quite quickly; just 20 ranks gets half the circumference of this earth, after all, for a cascade blast (and dominion barrier, while not quite, gets close!), and the moon is within reach of a champion 20.
    Unless otherwise specified, in D&D math, a "doubling" is +100%. Although I would agree that stating 100% is better.
    Avatar of Furude Setsuna, by Telasi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mephit View Post
    Don't worry, I like my characters the way I like my coffee: Strong, but with no cheese in it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Akagi
    Don't hesitate to tell the people you care about the feelings you have for them, because they may not be there tomorrow.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morcleon View Post
    Unless otherwise specified, in D&D math, a "doubling" is +100%. Although I would agree that stating 100% is better.
    That's only true for abstract units. For real-world values (like time and distance), you use real math (2x2=4).
    A Guide to Free D&D - A resource of free, official D&D resources on the web.
    Handbooks Index
    My Homebrew Compendium

4. - Top - End - #154
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Garryl View Post
    Regarding Battles, Snake's Swiftness is a standard action spell (the Mass version as well, which is still Drd 2, Sor/Wiz 3), not swift. It's one thing to give up your turn to give all of your allies an extra attack, it's another thing entirely to do it while still doing something awesome with your standard action as well. At least at low levels, anyways. I don't much mind it at level 7+, like it was before.
    I have to agree that getting what is effectively Haste pre-5th level(which is the point where Wizards get 3rd level spells, and thus actual Haste) isn't good.

Yes, it's comparable to flurry of blows, but flurry is balanced by the monk sucking whereas Battles is flurry of blows on a full BAB chassis that isn't MAD as hell. (Battles + Pulses, or Battles + Bolts)

Alternatively, a Stargazer with battles is capable of buffing his/her allies with what is effectively a swift-action Snake's Swiftness. (Battles + Bolts)

Finally, I'm sure an Empath won't have better things to do with his/her swift action than giving the BSF another attack. (Battles + Bolts again)

Essentially what I'm saying is: I feel that Battles is so strong that there's no reason to not take it, whether you're a Stargazer, Champion, or Empath.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Pixie in the Playground

DrowGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Garryl View Post
    That's only true for abstract units. For real-world values (like time and distance), you use real math (2x2=4).
    Yeah. Someone's running around in a game I'm in with a 3840' ray.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Ettin in the Playground

It seems I finally got to actually play the class, and I have a couple of serious rules questions... and one not so serious one.

1. How do Tremor Blasts interact with Area shapes? Do the creatures who made their saves negate both throwback and damage completely?

2. Is there a way, under current Illumination rules, to have a barrier that surrounds the evoker and moves with her? I don't see any shapes that mention anchoring a Barrier to a creature, rather then a ground.

3. Considering this...
    Quote Originally Posted by Nimble Costume description
    In most cases, this effect modifies a costume to be sleeker and more aerodynamic: excess material is cut away, and that which remains hugs close to its wearer’s body. When infused with motes, this progresses dramatically, and this costume effect has gained a degree of infamy in some circles for the enthusiasm with which some evokers designate portions of their attire as ‘excess’.
    and this...
    Quote Originally Posted by Weightless Costume description
    The Weightless effect tends to add ribbons, tassels, and long, flowing cuts of cloth to a costume, whirling about with the evoker’s movements.
    , is it viable to assume that the costume formed by boosting both effects up to 20 motes would consist exclusively of strategically placed ribbons? On the other hand... no, don't answer that one.
    Tome of Radiance, a Magical Girl sourcebook for 3.5/PF.

"Jamie" is fine. TH is mostly there to make sure the name would be free on any forum I'd want to register :-)

Extended signature

7. - Top - End - #157
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    3. Considering this...

and this...

, is it viable to assume that the costume formed by boosting both effects up to 20 motes would consist exclusively of strategically placed ribbons? On the other hand... no, don't answer that one.

Yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuintonBeck View Post
    Many thanks to Snowfire for collating all these. He's a madman, but he's a helpful madman.
    Spoiler: Things
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Mynxae View Post
    Damn you Snowfire. I cried.
    Quote Originally Posted by Falcon777 View Post
    T_T I swear, you just made me cry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    Well, here's another for your sig, Snowfire.

<struck dumb>

8. - Top - End - #158
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

I don't see anything against it offhand, so I assume it's possible to take Twinned Device when you have Stance as your device? Taking it once would represent laying in a devastating punch and then attacking with your other hand, I suppose, but what if you take it four times? Are you spawning shadow clones? Surrounded by points of light that pummel your foes as you throw punches?

9. - Top - End - #159
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Durazno View Post
    I don't see anything against it offhand, so I assume it's possible to take Twinned Device when you have Stance as your device? Taking it once would represent laying in a devastating punch and then attacking with your other hand, I suppose, but what if you take it four times? Are you spawning shadow clones? Surrounded by points of light that pummel your foes as you throw punches?
    Twinned device does not allow you to multiweapon fight if you are not innately capable of such*. When applies to stance, it merely gives you a second unarmed attack boosted by the device benefits.

* No, legs don't count for unarmed strikes in this case.

But these are mechanical considerations. The second part of your question pertains to visuals, and that is something entirelly different. The visuals are not set by the class, they are very much individualized and left for the player to decide.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ettin in the Playground

Actually it's a moot point anyway, since Twinned is explicitely for Versatile, Marksman and Implement devices only; so, no, you can't take it with the Stance - for the same reason monks can't get an off-hand attack. Still, +Cha to damage seems quite a nifty bonus to justify picking Stance as a weapon... possibly.

"Jamie" is fine. TH is mostly there to make sure the name would be free on any forum I'd want to register :-)

Extended signature

11. - Top - End - #161
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    Actually it's a moot point anyway, since Twinned is explicitely for Versatile, Marksman and Implement devices only; so, no, you can't take it with the Stance - for the same reason monks can't get an off-hand attack. Still, +Cha to damage seems quite a nifty bonus to justify picking Stance as a weapon... possibly.
    Actually, most DMs I've seen do let you TWF with a monk.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    Actually, most DMs I've seen do let you TWF with a monk.

What?
    Quote Originally Posted by QuintonBeck View Post
    Many thanks to Snowfire for collating all these. He's a madman, but he's a helpful madman.
    Spoiler: Things
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Mynxae View Post
    Damn you Snowfire. I cried.
    Quote Originally Posted by Falcon777 View Post
    T_T I swear, you just made me cry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    Well, here's another for your sig, Snowfire.

<struck dumb>

13. - Top - End - #163
    Titan in the Playground

It's just a terrible idea, since they'll never hit anything.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.

14. - Top - End - #164

I've been thinking about Epic levels for the Champion and Stargazer (mostly because I'm applying for a game with a Champion in epic levels), and I've come up with this for what happens to each of them:

Champion:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Illuminations: DC is still modified by evoker lever, but no new Illuminations are learned or able to be readied, just like how other spellcasting classes don't get any more spells when they hit epic.
    Cartriges: You may have one additional cartridge existent at a time every 5 levels (25, 30, etc)
    Enhanced Armaments: Every 4 levels (24, 28, etc), gain another Enhanced Armament.

Gain a bonus epic feat every 4 levels

Stargazer:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Illuminations: As Champion
    Complex Formula: Every 4 levels, the Effective Evoker Level boost goes up by 1 (+7 at 24, +8 at 28, etc). Starting at level 24, and every 8 levels thereafter, gain another Complex Formula (32, 40, etc)
    Luminous Reservoir:Every odd numbered level, the reservoir increases by 3 (33m at 21, 36m at 23, etc)

Gain a bonus epic feat every 4 levels

For Epic feats specifically for both classes, I have a couple ideas, but I need to flesh them out a bit more.
    Awesome Gordon Freemane Avatar by Dirtytabs

ATTENTION: Finally returning (slowly) after a hiatus. I'd rather not talk about it.

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    Those who post with ponies become ponies themselves.
    And if you stare too long into Equestria, Equestria stares into you.
    Quote Originally Posted by greenpotato and Aldurin
    Free action is infinite attacks a round isn't it?

You're right, it's too weak.

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Savannah

Extended Signature

15. - Top - End - #165

so, for those features which allow illuminations to be used with lowered mote cost, champion capstone and stargazer's complex formulae, how do those interact with resplendent device effect? does the number of motes invested need to equal the illumination's actual cost, or just the cost paid? and how does this interact with the zodiac's per-encounter use limit?

(it slightly amuses me that the champion's capstone includes an illumination or greater magnitude than anything stargazers ever manage to produce, even though the latter is the more ... illumination-fixated, of the classes.)
    Last edited by sreservoir; 2012-12-14 at 11:59 PM.

16. - Top - End - #166

perhaps resplendent should specify the action (same as illumination, I'd assume); the "at any time" makes it a bit unclear.

does use of an illumination through resplendent count toward the per-round limit on mote use on particular classes of illumination?

is it not ... slightly silly that the stargazer capstone, i.e. the feature which prevents all its supernatural features from being disabled in AMF, is, itself, supernatural, i.e. disabled in AMF? (RAI is clear, of course, and perhaps this falls under specificity precedence, but still.)

proposal: strongholds (and maybe dominions) barrier shapes can target a creature or object, and move with that creature or object? (I must say, incidentally, that the reason for "or object" is so that I don't have PETRA at my doorstep for stapling <1 hd diminutive animals onto things :&). or, well, make a new shape for it ??

being able to bolts surge and automatically affect allies on the moon is ?? this is essentially still the problem with the range-increasing augmentations scaling exponentially instead of linearly due to being real-world units, though.

barricades barrier, so, um, options are a) use up 10+5*m/3 ft. b) strength check of illumination DC + 2*m/3 (so ... 10 + 1/2m + 2/3m + Ability modifier, so it scales at a rate of +7/6 per mote, an ability check, such that at 12m, the DC is 24, which is ... hard to pass, before accounting for things like resplendent and the enhanced armaments effect and ability modifier (for we we might assume parity with strength), so the barrier alone pretty much shuts down any anything that needs to move around and do something with its non-swifts) or c) use a full-round action? except if m>=12, then only (b) and (c) are allowed, and since (b) has a ridiculously high DC probably, (c) is the only reasonable action short of teleporting or something.

if something else is pushing the creature against the barrier, do we have a) the creature splats against it, b) the creature chooses whether to splat or to move into the barrier, c) the creature just moves through the barrier, d) ???

if the creature is being moved by some external force and we are not using interpretation (a) above, is ... distance reduced?

if a creature is unaware of the quasisolidity of the barrier, does it still choose, or does it just move through? or perhaps the barrier is just treated as solid automatically?

my recommendation is either hits the barrier as any solid object; or will save to realise/react to the qualisolidity of the barrier in time to choose whether to pass through (reducing distance travelled on the other side?). this produces a nice interaction with tremor blast s.t. at the cost of the move action and a few motes, allow for tremor to do just as much damage as power, plus prone, for single-target.

(the will save option is especially appealing, since a successful save against the barrier will actually reduce the tremor blast's damage due to less distance travelled.)

I assume all objects treat barricades barrier as not there? (and, uh, I guess shoes sink into the barrier until feet reach the barrier and get stopped if you walk on the barrier! fun!)

wait, does the "length can be shaped in any manner the evoker deems fit" clause allow for borders, ramparts barriers to be, like, shaped in a circle?

hm, there's no option to use an illumination at less than full effectiveness, I don't think? like, FULL POWER is the only available setting without having crafted another, less full-power, illumination? ... this is probably intentional, I guess, what with the genre.

say, is it possible to store an illumination in the resplendent effect, take five minutes to switch to a different set of illuminations, and keep the resplendent effect's illumination as effectively a 1/encounter effect?

17. - Top - End - #167
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Selinia View Post
    [B]11/26/12:[*]The Radiant Armaments class feature now innately grants a single Enhanced Armaments effect on aquisition.
    I can't find mention of this in the Radiant Armaments feature, neither in the class features description, nor in the Radiant Armaments section... was it left out by mistake?

Extended signature

18. - Top - End - #168

comments for this read-through.

occasionally trying my hand at rewriting things I dislike (mostly for aesthetic reasons, more, than anything, but)

Champion

font of life needs to prevent unconscious for hit point reasons, too, probably.

"Upon awakening to the radiance within her soul, a champion establishes a bond with a particular weapon and suit of armor – respectively referred to as her Costume and her Device." this sentence is still nonsense.

"becomes a Native Outsider with one alignment subtype" afaict "Native Outsider" is unusual language; "becomes an Outsider and gains the native subtype and one alignment subtype of her choice," perhaps -- the type is Outsider, and native is a subtype.

Stargazer

"may at times fall of deaf ears" I'm still not sure whether the "of" is a typo. I think it is.

"passes through them. stargazers, however" capitalisation.

I'm not sure I quite understand why luminous reservoir begins at 3rd with 6m and increases 3m at every odd level, and doesn't just start at 1st with 3m, but okay.

Blasts

[Shape] tag can go from assault, explosion, storms, eruption, cascade, chains.

suggest rewrite cascade:

Cascade [Champion, Empath, Stargazer]
    [Mote Cost: 0m + 3m/rank beyond the first]
    A single blast of power is the calling card of many magical girls. Brutal, overpowering... and incredibly inelegant. For situations calling for a measured hand and precise aim, it is common for magical girls to configure a barrage of lesser blasts, annihilating enemy forces with the precision of a laser blade. The illumination targets a number of creatures within a 60' base range up to the number ranks of this component with a ranged touch attack. The evoker makes only a single attack roll, comparing it to the touch AC of each of her targets.

which creates no exceptions.

tremors Bugs Me with the distance varying with the damage potential instead of the actual amount of damage done ... and also that a reflex save shape causes it to deal no damage on save instead of half as normal.

this is not necessarily a problem, but I'll try and rewrite that, too

Tremors [Champion, Empath, Stargazer]
    Imbuing her blast with pure kinetic force, a magical girl can use this illumination to literally blow her enemies away. A blast with this foundation deals 1d6 damage for each mote of the illumination's cost; this damage may be reduced by a successful Reflex save in the case of area blasts, or by resistance in the case of elemental blasts, and so on. However, a creature struck by the blast is knocked back 5 ft. for every 4 points of damage the blast would deal, unless such motion is somehow blocked (such as by a wall), and the damage is reduced by 2 points for every 5 ft. the creature travels as a result of the blast. Afterward, a creature which takes damage from the blast is rendered prone.

original is 1d6 damage per 2 motes, 5 ft. movement per mote, and +1d6 per 10 ft. stopped by a wall (two times 1d6 per 5 ft., minus 1d6 for the damage appropriate to the 10 ft. stopped by the wall), so 2d6 per 2 motes..

this is base 1d6 damage per motes, moves an average of 35/8 (4 + 3/8) ft. per mote (or, 5 ft. per 8/7 (1 + 1/7) motes), which is close enough for government work, and with damage thus reduced an average of 7/4 (1 + 3/4) per mote, yielding an average damage of 7/4 damage per die, and thus per mote, which is exactly equal to the average damage of 1d6 per two dice, albeit with a harder, more centre-tending curve due to the higher degree. when stopped by a wall, the damage is 1d6 per mote, without penalty. This makes this version slightly better on odd-numbered levels, but. (less variability is also, in general, probably advantageous on the player end, but the effect of that should be essentially negligible. except, uh, the actual distance moved is a bit variable, too, and that might be a bit less advantageous.)

(but really the point is just, this has average-case performance roughly equivalent to the original, but does not Bug Me quite as much. it might Bug someone else, of course ??)

Barriers

barricades is weird, I've mentioned, see my previous post.

silence augmentation's "If a barrier with this effect is placed upon a targeted creature, rather than an area, that creature may attempt a new Will saving throw at the beginning of each of their turns." clause indicates there is a way to target a creature. there isn't. fix!

hm, I'd expect a champion, being most likely to actually get into melee, would be the most likely to need returning for tactical teleportation, but.

I see that that temphp barrier no longer exists?

Surges

suggest remove the "radiant" bonus type from courage surge? p sure it's a unique bonus type anyway.

it's slightly more efficient (and safer) to bring one's own key ability score, or one's allies', up lots through might, than to use denunciations to bring down a save: the latter needs the target to be there to target; it usually requires getting close enough to target (unless you spend more motes on extending ranges); it's possible to miss with it. it advantages are mainly that denunciations allow for to tack on all the debuffs that can go with a surge, whereas there ... aren't many buffs that can on a surge, actually, since they're seemingly mostly now fundamental components; and that, if multiple allies use different key ability scores for their DC, it's possible to benefit them all at the same time; and, it doesn't overlap with an existing enhancement bonus; to be sure, this latter makes denunciations probably give a better deal than might from level 6-ish onward, but the lack of non-fundamental buffs to go with surges I would see as a bug, and the general utility of might for skill checks, ability checks, &c. probably makes might generally better.

it's also ugly that it's per 4m instead of per 3m as sanctity is when the two are inverse effects, but.

"to a minimum penalty of -1" is strangely worded, incidentally.

suggest:

Denunciations [Empath, Stargazer]
    To be a magical girl is to be the very embodiment of mercy and forgiveness. It is rare for such beings to express true hatred... but simple anger is a different story entirely. The cosmos shudder at the righteous fury of an evoker, and the targets of their wrath feel fate itself conspiring against them. The target of the effect suffers a -1 penalty to all saving throws. For every 3m of the illumination's cost, the penalty to saving throws increases by -1.

the fact that only courage and denunciations and sanctity have no effect at 1m; even battles has an effect. I propose that either all fundamental surges scale floor proportionally to mote consumption (so battles and might don't have "base" effects) or courage and denunciations and sanctity gain a base +1/-1 in addition to mote costs.

naturally, I prefer the latter, so propose

Courage [Champion, Empath, Stargazer]
    The few against the many. The small against the great and terrible. The weak against the strong. Such are the battles faced by en evoker, and if she is to weather them she and her allies must stand fast with the courage to withstand any storm. The target of the effect receives a +1 bonus to AC. For every 2m of the illumination's cost, the bonus to AC increases by +1.

Sanctity [Empath, Stargazer]
    There are many strange and wicked things in the world, and at times it seems that each offers more gruesome torments than the last. Against such manifold terrors, an evoker must at times shield herself and her allies against attacks bearing all manner of unwholesome effects. The target of the effect receives a +1 bonus to all saving throws. For every 3m of the illumination's cost, the bonus to saving throws increases by +1

actually, since might has a bonus type, maybe other things should also have bonus types? tbh I'd make courage, denunciations, mockery, sanctity all morale modifiers, though that would leave the awkward situation of might having a different modifier than everything else? but might being morale would make it stack with all the enhancement modifiers, which is also not necessarily a good thing.

courage, denunciations, and mockery should probably all be morale effects per fluff, of course, although highly mutable fluff by design ... bah, idek.

after that, I'd rejiggle the surge effects by pairing counterpart effects; innocence/prosecution has that sort of a thing going on already, and, uh, I guess resolve is hard to mirror because that would should be a blast effect, and battles doesn't really, and diamonds' inverse is on a blast effect.

mockery is ... strange. does the penalty ... apply to attacks and skill checks in that round until an attack roll (but not a skill) fails? see, the first time I read it, I read it and went "wait, the penalty persists past the duration of the illumination until an attack misses?" that didn't make much sense. ... the will save also seems a bit out-of-place when it's an effect which provides a penalty and denunciations, for example, isn't requiring a slave, but okay. suggest:

Mockery [Champion, Empath, Stargazer]
    Laughter is death to fear. The most dreadful of villains can often be reduced to a spluttering buffoon with a few well-placed jibes, and devious plots are merely foolish when theatrics are countered by satire. When no targets for jest readily present themselves, the component of Mockery can induce the sort of catastrophic pratfall that might bring shame to even the most egotistical foe. The target of the effect must make a Will save or suffer a -1 penalty for every 1m of the illumination's cost to all attack rolls and skill checks until it misses an attack.

and here goes nothing, but I'll try my hand at writing a counterpart to it:

Esteem [Champion, Empath, Stargazer]
    A little respect goes a long way; sadly, it often tends to be very much lacking in the world. But with an appropriate amount of support and encouragement (and not a small investment of radiant power), even the most otherwise pathetic sort of creature can accomplish something of value. The target of the effect receives a +1 bonus for every 1m of the illumination's cost to a single attack roll or skill check. The choice to use this bonus must be made before the roll it is to modify is made.

it is, uh, modelled off of moment of prescience and true strike? would say it might be best to tack on an insight bonus type?

I mean, quickened true strike is available from 9 and is +20 insight, while moment of prescience is +CL insight to p much anything. and then there's divine insight which is +5+CL insight to a skill (max +15) and guidance of the avatar is +20 competence, both from 3, but the latter is ridiculous by consensus, while the former ... ?? I don't know; one one hand, evoker level isn't anywhere near as easy to boost to +ludicrous as caster level; and in any case, +large to something mostly binary doesn't seem a huge deal; on the other hand, power attack; but then, an assault blast is +ELd6, and this is just +2EL, essentially, but before other modifiers.

(such a bonus is ... probably a really bad idea without a bonus type, in any case. anyway. insight would be my first choice, because wrt both skills and attack, the most ludicrously large single-use bonuses do tend to be insight, but then, competence is the equivalent of enhancement for skills, in that it's most likely to overlap with items. also, guidance of the avatar is a competence bonus. (so is wieldskill, I guess.) why does that spelle exist again, remind me.)

I have to concur that battles base effect is a bit excessive, in any case, but I have no good suggestions for how to improve that.

suggest reworking which surges are fundamental and which are augmentations, though, the augmentations are a bit loaded with debuffs.

also pulses selecting allies or enemies a bit ... arbitrary. "ally" supposedly means "A creature friendly to you" ... but friendly, what, as in attitude, as in the thing you deal with with Diplomacy? and an "enemy" is "A creature unfriendly to you." it's a bit of a mess, really, and uh, possibly:

Pulses [Champion, Empath, Stargazer]
    [Mote Cost: 1m + 3m/rank beyond the first]
    While many struggle to channel them into singular applications, some evokers find it easier to simply let their surges of power wash out around them in a great flood. The suge is an aura affecting valid targets within a burst possessing a 5' radius for each rank of this component. The evoker may choose to exclude any particular creatures from the illumination's effect.

Radiant Armaments

okay crit-range expansion with precise is amusing. (never mind that it's more efficient to let precise ranks approach three fewer than brutal, let's build a champion 16/human paragon 3/fighter 1 with improved critical and spending all the other feats on precise! that's five from being a champion, seven from standard feats, one for being a human, and one from being human paragon, and, uh, two flaws. with a keen marksman device. critical on a 1! er, crit threat on a 2!)
    Last edited by sreservoir; 2012-12-25 at 05:56 PM. Reason: ed

19. - Top - End - #169
    Troll in the Playground

I'm reading through this for the first time since somebody's looking to use it in a game (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...0#post14484940) and I have an important question about the Stargazer: does Luminous Reservoir ever refill? I understand that it doesn't refill with normal mote refresh on a turn by turn basis, but as written, it appears that once you've used those motes they're gone forever, which is pretty rough for a class feature. Did I just miss the refill method? If so I assume it's meant to refresh on a daily basis.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rokku View Post
    I'm reading through this for the first time since somebody's looking to use it in a game (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...0#post14484940) and I have an important question about the Stargazer: does Luminous Reservoir ever refill? I understand that it doesn't refill with normal mote refresh on a turn by turn basis, but as written, it appears that once you've used those motes they're gone forever, which is pretty rough for a class feature. Did I just miss the refill method? If so I assume it's meant to refresh on a daily basis.
    It refreshes at the beggining of each encounter.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

21. - Top - End - #171

Quote Originally Posted by Rokku View Post
    At 3rd level, a stargazer gains a reservoir of bonus motes at the beginning of each encounter.
    at the beginning of an encounter.

what's an encounter? ... well, you have them, as long as what you're doing isn't time-critical.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Titan in the Playground

Couple of minor things I noticed building a charrie.
    -There didn't seem to be many costume elements applicable to medium armour. Possibly this was just me being fussy, though.
    -There's no way to get a /wide/ beam/. You can make it longer, but you can't seem to get one more than one square wide.
    -More feats would really be nice. But I imagine you're working on that right now.

23. - Top - End - #173

there is no spell shape which would function as a wide beam, either; the closest is the cylinder shape, but only for the down direction (which is ... very arbitrary, really, but).

... that could be worked from, though.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Troll in the Playground

I've never understood the fascination with thicker energy beams. Wouldn't cones be more useful?

25. - Top - End - #175
    Titan in the Playground

Well, here it's because a lot of magical girls seem to produce energy beams wider than themselves.
    For example, Lux's ult is at least 10ft wide, and she's a magical girl if there ever was one.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Draken View Post
    It refreshes at the beggining of each encounter.
    Aha! See, I knew I should have learned to read.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

A thicker energy beam could be handy when you're trying to blow a hole through a wall without bringing it down, I suppose.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Troll in the Playground

Thicker than 5ft around though?

29. - Top - End - #179
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

If you want to bring your Brass Dragon buddy along, sure!

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, I've been directed to this thread recently, and I've got some ideas. I'd like to fill in the blanks, as it were. So here's one of the bigger blanks:
    Spoiler
    Show

Empath

"In many ways, my path is the path of imagination. To imagine yourself in the place of another is to understand that person as well as you understand yourself. Once you empathize with a person, it is simple to show them the light."
    -Selune, an Empath

The light of the moon shines down on all living things, changing with days and seasons as the the trees and flowers change, in cycles. The empath recognizes that life, in all its varied forms and functions, is merely an extension of the Light given form. While individuals may choose good or evil or any other path, their very existence is premised on their first being innocent children, and becoming what the world and the life around them has made them.

Empaths understand life and people on a fundamental level, seeing all life as something to be guarded and protected. They tend to take a longer view than either of the other kinds of champion, focusing on tomorrow while dealing with the problems of today. This and their understanding of the world around them give them a sense of calm serenity in the face of any odds, making them formidable and capable.

Making an Empath:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Abilities: An empath's power is born of understanding and imagination, drawn forth with a will of iron and a supple mind. Thus, a high Wisdom will allow them to most effectively wield their Illuminations and know the hearts of both their friends and enemies. A good Constitution score will also likely be important to an empath, as they often find themselves holding the middle ground, defending those less capable.

Role: An empath has to fulfill many roles on the battlefield, and as such she comes with a variety of tools. She is shield to those more fragile, nurse to the hurt, lioness when battle is called for and peacemaker when it is not. For this reason she has some aspects of champion, some of stargazer, more skill than either and her own abilities to adapt to circumstance.

Races: Members of any race can take up the mantle of an empath, but they are most common among races with a strong tie to nature. Understanding life in all of its forms and phases is essential to being an Empath.

Alignment: Perhaps the most morally flexible of the Evokers, the Empath is able to understand all others, to set aside her own morality and considder that of another with truly open eyes. While almost no Empath ends up walking the path of evil, neither are they always good. A starting empath is usually within two alignment steps of neutral good.

Starting Gold: As druid

Starting Age: Most empaths come into their power early, perhaps out of the innocence of childhood. When rolling for age, roll as a Bard - but subtract the total from adult age rather than adding it (to a minimum of half an adult’s age). If rules are in place that would reduce the statistics of child characters, the stargazer is exempt from them.

Class Skill List: Bluff (Cha), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Disguise (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Gather Information (Cha), Handle Animal (Cha), Heal (Wis), Hide (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (Nature) (Int), Knowledge (History) (Int), Knowledge (Nobles) (Int), Knowledge (Religion) (Int), Listen (Wis), Perform (Cha), Profession (Wis), Search (Int), Sense Motive (Wis), Speak Language (Int), Spellcraft (Int), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), Tumble (Dex), Use Magic Device (Cha)
    Skill Points at 1st Level: (6 + Int modifier) x4.
    Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 6 + Int modifier.

Empath

Hit Dice: d8
    {table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Illuminations Known|Illuminations Readied

1st|
    +0
    |
    +2
    |
    +0
    |
    +2
    |Radiant Armaments, Merciful, Understanding (1 target)|
    |

2nd|
    +1
    |
    +3
    |
    +0
    |
    +3
    |Power of Friendship|
    |

3rd|
    +2
    |
    +3
    |
    +1
    |
    +3
    |Mooncalled Illumination 1/day|
    |

4th|
    +3
    |
    +4
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |Lunar Companion|
    |

5th|
    +3
    |
    +4
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |Moonlit Transformation (Humanoid) 1/day|
    |

6th|
    +4
    |
    +5
    |
    +2
    |
    +5
    |Understanding (2 targets)|
    |

7th|
    +5
    |
    +5
    |
    +2
    |
    +5
    |Mooncalled Illumination 2/day|
    |

8th|
    +6/+1
    |
    +6
    |
    +2
    |
    +6
    |Enhanced Armaments|
    |

9th|
    +6/+1
    |
    +6
    |
    +3
    |
    +6
    |Moonlit Transformation (Fey, Tiny, SLA) 2/day|
    |

10th|
    +7/+2
    |
    +7
    |
    +3
    |
    +7
    |Understanding (3 targets)|
    |

11th|
    +8/+3
    |
    +7
    |
    +3
    |
    +7
    |Mooncalled Illumination 3/day|
    |

12th|
    +9/+4
    |
    +8
    |
    +4
    |
    +8
    |Cloaked in Moonlight|
    |

13th|
    +9/+4
    |
    +8
    |
    +4
    |
    +8
    |Moonlit Transformation (Monstrous Humanoid, SU) 3/day|
    |

14th|
    +10/+5
    |
    +9
    |
    +4
    |
    +9
    |Understanding (4 targets)|
    |

15th|
    +11/+6/+1
    |
    +9
    |
    +5
    |
    +9
    |Mooncalled Illumination 4/day|
    |

16th|
    +12/+7/+2
    |
    +10
    |
    +5
    |
    +10
    |Enhanced Armaments|
    |

17th|
    +12/+7/+2
    |
    +10
    |
    +5
    |
    +10
    |Moonlit Transformation (Outsider) 4/day|
    |

18th|
    +13/+8/+3
    |
    +11
    |
    +6
    |
    +11
    |Understanding (5 targets)|
    |

19th|
    +14/+9/+4
    |
    +11
    |
    +6
    |
    +11
    |Mooncalled Illumination 5/day|
    |

20th|
    +15/+10/+5
    |
    +12
    |
    +6
    |
    +12
    |Moonlight Apotheosis|
    |
    [/table]

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Empaths are proficient with all simple weapons and one martial weapon of their choice, and with light and medium armor and all shields except tower shields.

Illuminations: Infused as they are with the power of light, a stargazer is capable of crafting and calling upon powerful manifestations of radiant energy known as Illuminations. An empath knows a fixed number of illuminations, and may change any number of her known illuminations freely each time she gains a level in this class. To use her known illuminations, an empath must first prepare them – preparing illuminations is a simple process requiring five minutes of introspection, weapons drills, or some other mentally relaxing activity. Once her preparation is complete, the empath may choose a number of her known illuminations to ready. Readied illuminations remain readied until the empath prepares new ones.

Illuminations are explained more completely in their own section.

Radiant Armaments (Su): Upon awakening to the radiance within her soul, a stargazer establishes a bond with a particular weapon and suit of armor. How an empath finds the armaments that are hers by right varies widely; she may stumble upon them in a dream, only to awake clutching them in hand, or she might find them in the crater left behind by a falling star, but they always appear within a week of attaining her first level in this class.

Radiant Armaments are described more completely in their own section.

Merciful (Ex): Whenever an empath deals damage with an attack or an Illumination, she may choose to deal non-lethal damage instead with no penalty to attack or damage rolls.

Understanding (Ex): The empath has learned to understand the hearts and minds of those around her, both her friends and her enemies. Once per turn as a swift action, she may make a Sense Motive check, with a DC equal to 10 + the target's hit dice. If she fails, she cannot attempt this check on the same individual again for 24 hours. If successful, she can understand the target better. Treat the target as though the empath had that individual as a ranger's favored enemy, with the addition that the effect of all Illuminations, whether healing or damaging, are at +2 as well. The empath may have one target of understanding at 1st level, and an additional target at 6th level and every 4 levels after that, to a maximum of 5 targets at one time at 18th level. A target of Understanding remains targetted so long as they are on the same plane as the empath, or until the empath decides to target someone or something else. When an empath gains a new target of understanding and is already at her limit, she chooses which of her current targets is no longer affected. An individual may only be targetted by an empath once.

The Power of Friendship (Ex): An second level empath is capable of swaying the alignment of captured foes, as described in the Power of Friendship section below.

In addition, an empath is remarkably skilled at couching her arguments in terms her target can understand. Appealing to each individual specifically, the empath may use her Wisdom score, rather than her Charisma score, when making redemption checks. In addition, when making redemption checks on a target of her Understanding power, she is at a +2 bonus.

Mooncalled Illumination (Su): The third level empath has learned to shape her illuminations in a more spontaneous manner. Once per day, she may use any illumination she knows, even if it is not readied. She may use this ability a second time at 7th level, and an additional time per day every four levels after that, to a maximum of five times per day at 19th level.

Lunar Companion (Su): At fourth level the empath has learned enough about light and life to create a companion for herself. Treat this companion in all ways as a Druid's animal companion, with her druid level equal to her empath level minus 2. However, because of the nature of her companion, it gains the Lunar Spirit template described below.

Moonlit Transformation (Su): A fifth level empath gains an ability similar to the druid's wild shape. Once per day, the empath chooses a single humanoid form of small, medium or large size and up to 5 hit dice. This may be the form of an individual, or the generic member of a specific race. By investing half of her motes, she may assume that form for as long as she continues to expend motes. She is treated as though she is using the Alter Self spell for determining the benefits the new form grants. Her armaments transform to suit her new form, but all other equipment is subject to normal rules for that spell.

At 9th level, the empath may use this ability a second time per day, and the transformation acts as a Polymorph spell instead of Alter self. In addition, she may choose the form of a fey, and the form may be tiny, with up to 9 hit dice. Finally, she may choose a single spell-like ability that that a member of that race normally has as a racial ability, and may use that ability 1/day as though she were a member of that race.

At 13th level, the empath may use this ability a third time per day, and the transformation acts as a Polymorph Any Object spell (except for duration). Additionally, she may choose the form of a monstrous humanoid, with up to 13 hit dice. In addition to choosing a single spell-like ability that race can use, the empath also chooses a single Su ability, and may use that ability as a creature of the chosen type for as long as she wears her new form. For example, if the empath chose a creature with a breath weapon with a 1d4 round cooldown, then she could use that breath weapon every 1d4 rounds for as long as she keeps the motes invested to maintain her new form.

At 17th level, the empath may use her ability a fourth time per day, and the transformation acts as a Shapeshift spell (for this one form only). Additionally, she may choose the form of an outsider, with up to her level in hit dice.

Enhanced Armaments (Su): An eight level empath may enhance her armaments, as the Champion class ability. She gains a second enhancement at level 16.

Cloaked in Moonlight (Su): A twelfth level empath has learned to emulate the varying illumination of the moon, always shedding just enough light to accomplish her task. Once per encounter as a free action, the empath chooses one of the following: To hit, damage, fortitude save, reflex save, will save, armor class. For the remainder of that encounter, the empath gains a luck bonus to her chosen ability equal to her wisdom modifier.

Moonlight Apotheosis (Su): The barrier between the empath and the radiant power she channels has all but dissolved. She is likely a very different person from the one who first set foot on her long adventure, but her blazing spirit has preserved against all odds in the darkness of the world, beaming forth with a fury that angels and demons might envy. At 20th level, an empath forevermore becomes a Native Outsider with one alignment subtype of her choice and an Augmented subtype pertaining to her previous type, with all the traits that implies. Further, she can no longer be aged by any means mundane or magical, and will never die of old age.

Additionally, the empath’s powers have grown so versatile and precise that she is able to improvise exactly the correct response to the situation at hand. Once per day as a full round action, the empath may expend any number of motes, up to her class level. For each mote expended in this way, each person she currently targets with Understanding either takes 1d6 damage or is healed for 1d6 damage - each effect is chosen individually by target at the time this ability is used. Further, the type for the damage is chosen individually for each target, such that a target who is vulnerable to fire damage will take fire damage, while a target who is immune to fire damage would instead take force damage. Additionally, each target either is affected by or cured of one of the following status conditions: blinded, deaf, stunned, nauseated, frightened or exhausted. A successful will save DC 20+wisdom modifier allows the target to overcome this condition, but does not prevent the damage. When using this ability, the empath knows in advance all of the immunities, resistances, vulnerabilities and current conditions of each target, allowing them to craft the perfect response. This attack hits regardless of distance or targetting conditions, so long as the intended target is still on the same plane.

New template:
    Lunar Spirit
    The Lunar Sprit template can be applied to any animal which could be a druid's companion. The animal gains the traits of a Native Outsider, as well as the following: DR 5/cold iron, Immunity to Silver, At-will - Gaseous Form. The gaseous form is that of a silver mist which immediately moves into the same square as the Empath who created the Lunar spirit. While in Gaseous form, the lunar spirit must be in the same square as his mistress, or his mistress' armaments, or moving towards that square at full speed. A Lunar spirit in gaseous form may reside within those armaments and remain hidden with full cover, regardless of the relative sizes. If the empath who created a Lunar Spirit is killed and her armaments destroyed, the Lunar Spirit is also killed and fades back into moonlight.

(Yes, it's a pokemon template)