New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 39 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Tome of Radiance: Mastering the Power of Love and Justice

Quote Originally Posted by sreservoir View Post
    ... construct traits, eh?

... you're making me want to write acfs and/or archetypes and/or templates with a one-off miracle or wish effect to turn a magical girl into a zonbi without a soul, if you catch my drift.
    I'm afraid I don't. I mean, it's not full construct traits, but the basic flavour of the Heartwielder is that you become more a weapon than a person.

I'm curious where that idea of yours comes from actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuintonBeck View Post
    Many thanks to Snowfire for collating all these. He's a madman, but he's a helpful madman.
    Spoiler: Things
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Mynxae View Post
    Damn you Snowfire. I cried.
    Quote Originally Posted by Falcon777 View Post
    T_T I swear, you just made me cry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    Well, here's another for your sig, Snowfire.

<struck dumb>

2. - Top - End - #242
    Bugbear in the Playground

...Why does Heartwielder make me think of Buso Renkin?

3. - Top - End - #243
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Snowfire View Post
    I'm afraid I don't. I mean, it's not full construct traits, but the basic flavour of the Heartwielder is that you become more a weapon than a person.

I'm curious where that idea of yours comes from actually.
    He's saying that he wants to make Madoka-esque options. Even though, frankly, the relevant bits other than the wish are basically fluff in most situations, and a pure drawback where they aren't fluff. A free Wish for taking the first level, on the other hand, would just be OP.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

4. - Top - End - #244
    Ogre in the Playground

He's saying that he wants to make Madoka-esque options. Even though, frankly, the relevant bits other than the wish are basically fluff in most situations, and a pure drawback where they aren't fluff. A free Wish for taking the first level, on the other hand, would just be OP.
    I don't know. If it's a prestige class with entry requirements of character level 7+, then a single, one-time, free wish would be a reasonable class feature, as long as it's the only significant benefit (no more than 3/4 BAB, 2 good saves, d8 hd, 4+int skills, no other class features, etc). With additional benefits, it could be reasonable as one of several at level 11 or so.

Of course, if it's a repeatable wish (I'm not familiar with Madoka), then yeah, totally OP.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Barbarian in the Playground

This kind of stuff is best served by being accepted as a plot device, I feel. I mean if your DM wants Madoka-esque Magical Girls, then it's best to accept that part of the class is going to be a direct part of the plot rather than a simple 'Wish' spell.

With that said, a single 'Wish' wouldn't be much of a problem assuming appropriate prerequisites.
    Last edited by Danakir; 2013-02-11 at 12:25 PM.
    "Dictators free themselves but they enslave the people." - Charlie Chaplin

Spoiler
    Show
    Tohsaka Rin by Elder Tsofu

6. - Top - End - #246

(I'm not serious, no. that said, madomagi mechanics really don't work at all with most game systems, I've found.

the being turned into a construct with specific needs part is p relevant, though, must say, but hard to implement in general without breaking things.

also ftr those wishes are really definitely more plot-device than anything which would fit within the bounds of rules. more akin to, eh, player narrative control mechanics, than the spells, and the spells are bad enough as-is.)

7. - Top - End - #247
    Ogre in the Playground

So, with all the ToR PRCs going up, I figured I aught to try my hand at it. Thus I grant you the class that I'm sure everyone figured it was only a matter of time before it showed up. Was somewhat hurried near the end, so there may be some things that need tweaking or some balance issues to fix. Feedback is appreciated.

Radiant Armourer

I can't summon any more swords... Time to use magic to invoke an arrow now!
    - Chloe von Einzbern, a Radiant Armourer

All evokers learn to summon a costume and device. Few however decide to refine the art of of creating weapons and armour from the light. Those that do are Radiant Armourers. Some focus on equipping their allies, while other focus on using their vast arsenal themselves. Either way, they make a number of weapons.

Requirements
    To become a Radiant Armourer, you must fulfil the following criteria:
    Feats: Radiant Arsenal, Twinned Device
    Skills: Craft (Armorsmithing) 8 Ranks, Craft (Weaponsmithing) 8 Ranks

Class Skill List: Appraise (Int), Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Handle Animal (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge [All skills, taken separately] (Int), Perform (Cha), Search (Int), Sense Motive (Wis), Spot (Wis), Swim (Str), Tumble (Dex), Use Magical Device (Cha)
    Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 4 + Int modifier.

Spoiler
    Show
    So feats and skills as the requirement. All fit the basic theme. As for the skill list, I slightly modified the champion skill list.

Radiant Armourer
    Hit Dice: d8
    {table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Illuminations

1st|
    +0
    |
    +2
    |
    +0
    |
    +2
    |Enhanced Armoury, Enhanced Weaving, Expanded Arsenal, Standard Issue|

2nd|
    +1
    |
    +3
    |
    +0
    |
    +3
    |Radiant Arsenal, Cartridges +1|
    +1 level of existing class

3rd|
    +2
    |
    +3
    |
    +1
    |
    +3
    |Enhanced Armoury, Reforged Radiance|

4th|
    +3
    |
    +4
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |Radiant Arsenal, Blast Forged Device|

5th|
    +3
    |
    +4
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |Enhanced Armoury, Cartridges +2, Arsenal Effects|

6th|
    +4
    |
    +5
    |
    +2
    |
    +5
    |Radiant Arsenal|

7th|
    +5
    |
    +5
    |
    +2
    |
    +5
    |Enhanced Armoury, Allied Assault|

8th|
    +6
    |
    +6
    |
    +2
    |
    +6
    |Radiant Arsenal|

9th|
    +6
    |
    +6
    |
    +3
    |
    +6
    |Enhanced Armoury, Cartridges +3|

10th|
    +7
    |
    +7
    |
    +3
    |
    +7
    |Radiant Arsenal, Effective Arsenal, Mass Assault|
    [/table]

Spoiler
    Show
    Two good saves and medium BAB. Given the class can serve a front-line fighter type roll it seems to fit.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A Radiant Armourer gains proficiency with all types of Devices and Costumes. This does not make her proficient with the Devices of another magical girl, though does allow her to select them for the Radiant Arsenal feat.

Spoiler
    Show
    Yes, she gains more proficiencies. That said, without this the class would likely be terrible for Stargazers, and not great for Empaths.

Illuminations: A Radiant Armourer loses little of her power as an evoker, but she does lose some, focusing on the creation of Radiant Armaments has downsides. A Radiant Armourer continues to progress access to Illuminations from her Evoking Class, as well as her Evoker Level, as shown. If she has more than one Evoking Class, then she must choose one of them when she takes her first level in Radiant Armourer. Once made, this choice cannot be changed.

Spoiler
    Show
    So, seven tenths illumination progression. Hopefully the other abilities can make up for it.

Enhanced Armoury: Starting at first level, and every odd level thereafter, the Radiant Armourer gains an additional Enhanced Armament. However, unlike normally gaining them, those gained from this class must be split evenly between upgrading costumes and devices. You may put up to one rank more in either of them than the other, from ranks gained from this feature.

Spoiler
    Show
    You get to make devices and costumes better than most. This is a key feature of the class, so it should come as no surprise.

Enhanced Weaving: A Radiant Armourer is skilled at working with radiant armaments as well as the art of imbuing them. As such Radiant Armourer levels progress costume effects as if levels in champion.

Spoiler
    Show
    This may be a surprise, but a class focused on costumes and devices does not lose progression for improving costumes and devices, instead getting to use the best progression.

Expanded Arsenal (Ex): When using twinned device to make a copy of her device, the Radiant Armourer may have the copy be selected from any devices she can summon. Additionally, it is no longer limited to only Marksman, Implement, or Versatile devices, though only those types may aid you in combat when not held. You may also invest motes in Twinned Device to create extra costumes, though this does not grant you the capacity to wear them or otherwise benefit from them. If you have the Blazing Aegis feat, you may create additional shields like you would devices, but similarly do not gain benefits for them.
    Lastly, for every level in Radiant Armourer, you are treated as having two motes invested in twinned device. These motes do not count toward the normal limit of how many motes may be invested at any given time.

Spoiler
    Show
    One of the key class features, this enables the Radiant Armourer to have the devices and costumes she needs to properly equip her allies.

Standard Issue (Ex): Unlike other magical girls who primarily use their devices themselves, the Radiant Armourer has learned to make her devices more intuitive to use with only a few basic tips. By spending 15 minutes training an individual, the Radiant Armourer may teach them to treat her devices as common weapons (Stance, Implement, and Marksman are treated as Simple, while Versatile, Mighty, and Bolt are treated as Martial). Similarly, costumes may be treated as Light, Medium or Heavy armour by one so trained (for light medium and heavy costumes respectively).
    When the Radiant Armourer summons her device, she may also summon devices into the hands of allies within 30 feet, while when she summons her costume, she may summon costumes onto allies within 30 feet. In either case she must have invested the needed number of motes into twinned device to make the desired number of devices and costumes. If the Blazing Aegis feat is possessed she may also provide shields much like devices. These shields gain the full shield bonus from any motes invested in the feat, but do not grant it to adjacent allies when used by others.
    While in the hands of others, the devices are still at the Radiant Armourer's command. If she so chooses, she may apply her merciful feature to any attacks made by devices she created as a free action, causing the subsequent damage to be non-lethal.

Unfortunately, devices and costumes used by others are not as effective as those used by the Radiant Armourer herself. As such they only count as having half as many Enhanced Armament points in any given Enhanced Armament as they actually do (in the case of Enhanced Armaments that may only be taken once, they are not halved). Additionally, they do not benefit from any costume effects.

Spoiler
    Show
    The main meat of the class, letting the Radiant Armourer deck out her party with gear. While it isn't as good as her own, it still can be better than most normal equipment, and some of the drawbacks will eventually be alleviated.

Radiant Arsenal: At every even level, the Radiant Armourer gains Radiant Arsenal as a bonus feat.

Spoiler
    Show
    Yes, one of the main aspects of this class is being able to make lots of different devices and costumes for people. This lets you do that without wasting all your feats.

Cartridges (Su): At second level the Radiant Armourer gains the ability to make a cartridge for use with her devices. This acts as the champion ability of the same name and stacks with it.

Additionally, the Radiant Armourer may as a swift action load cartridges into devices and costumes she made that are being used by allies, if adjacent to them. The cartridges may be used by the one wielding the device or wearing the costume as a free action on their turn.

The Radiant Armourer gains an additional cartridge at levels 5 and 9.

Spoiler
    Show
    So, minor cartridge gain, or advancement. Not much to say there.

Reforged Radiance (Su): Unlike other magical girls, a Radiant Armourer has learned to rework her Radiant Armaments. Starting at third level, once per day she may spend one hour and change the type and enhanced armaments of a single device or costume she can make. She may also count this time toward that needed to prepare her illuminations.

Spoiler
    Show
    This handy skill is to help the Radiant Armourer who has found the needs of her group have shifted. Rather than having to get a whole new device or costume to fit the new needs, she may just respec the now obsolete one.

Blast Forged Device (Su): Radiant Armourers are more focused on crafting radiant armaments than other magical girls. Even the power of illuminations may be put toward this task. Starting at 4th level, a Radiant Armourer gains access to a unique Blast illumination secondary component.

Device [Radiant Armourer]
    [Mote Cost: 3m/rank]
    Where most blasts consist of raw power, Radiant Armourers have taken to including devices in them. For each rank in this component, select one device you may summon. When this blast is used, add the damage and effects of that device to the damage and effects of the blast (Note it does not get Strength to damage). You may select the same device multiple times. If an attack roll is made, the devices in the blast may get critical hits. Roll once to confirm all criticals. Only the damage of devices that succeeded on the critical is increased, and only effects of criticals innate to the devices occur (such as those from enchantments but not those from feats).

Spoiler
    Show
    So, adding devices in blasts. It was bound to happen sooner or later. For even more fun add it to an assault blast, so you can hit enemies with your device when you hit them with your device.

Arsenal Effects (Su): Starting at fifth level, the Radiant Armourer begins to be able to expand her costume effects to those costumes and devices used by others. She may grant each device or costume used by someone else a single costume effect from among the costume effects she has applied to the device and costume she is using herself. Additionally, for every two motes she has invested into costume effects for her own costume and device, she may treat costumes and devices used by others as having a mote invested. The costume effects need not match those that the motes are invested in.
    If the Radiant armourer would always have a given costume effect applied due to a feature from another class, it is always applied to devices or costumes she makes as appropriate. If it would always be treated as having motes invested in it, these motes do not count toward the normal number of motes invested in costume effects for this class feature, but instead treat all devices and costumes she makes as having half that many motes invested in the appropriate effect.

Spoiler
    Show
    So, the Radiant Armourer finally gets the ability to share costume effects with her friends. About time I say.

Allied Assault (Su): Starting at 7th level, the Radiant Armourer becomes able to imbue her allies attacks with power as well as her own. On any turn she makes an attack, or as a standard action, she may expend motes as if paying for an assault blast. However, rather than using it herself, she may grant it to the attack of an ally using one of her devices made before the start of her next turn. Unfortunately so may not unleash her full power this way. This may not be used with assault blasts that cost more motes than half the Radiant Armourer's evoker level.

Spoiler
    Show
    Who saw this coming? I know I sure didn't. Strange as it seems so obvious in retrospect.

Effective Arsenal (Su): Upon reaching tenth level, the Radiant Armourer becomes even more skilled at applying costume effects. She may apply a second costume effect to devices and costumes she made being used by others. Motes applied to those devices and costumes may be divided among the effects at her discretion.

Spoiler
    Show
    So, a capstone of letting her grant allies two costume effects (four if they use both a costume and a device). Not bad.

Mass Assault (Su): A radiant Armourer at tenth level is a master of imbuing her devices with her power such that even those not wielded by anyone may be imbued. When using making a full attack and having her floating devices aid her as per the twinned device feat, she may apply an assault blast to the attack of the floating weapons. This blast only effects creatures that fail the reflex save for half damage, and is only applied a single time, rather than for each weapon taking part. The mote cost of assault blasts used this way may not exceed half the Radiant Armourer's evoker level.

Spoiler
    Show
    A second capstone? This time one for the Radiant Armourer fighting alone, or just not lending out her weapons (or with excess ones after lending them I guess). Now you can finally add assault blasts to the volly attack of your extra weapons.

Owrtho
    Tables
    Want them to look nice? Have a guide

My Homebrew
    [creature]Shiny: Monster Competition XXXVI entry.
    [class]Wisp fire guide: Follow me. I have such sights to show you.
    [class]Ozodrin: A class to play as an eldritch horror.
    other hombrew

8. - Top - End - #248

Y'all are making me look bad with this rush of content here! I pull back for a couple days to work on some stuff, and suddenly we're almost matching the number of PrCs that came up in the entirety of the Magical Girl 1.0 thread! In any case, changelog for the day:

• Indexed existing PrCs into the Prestige Class section for easier access.
    • In celebration of the holiday, added Soulbond feats! Ten new feats, centered around building an unshakable bond of teamwork and camaraderie with a single, dedicated partner. I've always loved the concept of teamwork feats, but the implementation of the concept in Pathfinder struck me as... lackluster. The soulbond system allows each side of a soulbond to select whatever benefits appeal to them and their playstyle most, without burdening down other characters with useless feat selections.

Nothing huge (though I do have a couple PrCs of my own I hope to have polished up and up here in the next few days), but as always, thoughts are much appreciated. Coming up next is my first PrC for the project, a few patches for the Empath, and a bundle of new Components for illuminations.
    Lovely Rita Mordio avatar by Zefir! Thank you!

Homebrew:

9. - Top - End - #249
    Troll in the Playground

Oh, I'm only beginning on the making you look bad

Got two more PrCs for you, and...something else. Oh, and another PrC about half way done. I don't think I have ideas for any more after this, but we'll see. This one was a lot of fun, it being in effect, the real old school magical girl.

Child of Light

"Key of the Light
    With powers burning bright
    Reveal the staff
    And shine your light!
    Release!"

- Ancestor Sakura, one of the great Heroes of Light, upon releasing her seal.

Eons ago, in a distant past that had yet to see the birth of many of our stars, the first generation of children gifted with the Light was born. Before the time of the Evokers came, with their refined understanding of the Light, in the dawn where primal life basked in the gentle glow of young stars rose to emulate this radiance. These progenitors would come to be known as the Heroes of Light. Each of them tall as a titan and creating a legacy that outlasted even the memory of their names and identities.

They spread the Light wherever they went, and in their wake new souls were gifted with Light. These were the seeds from whence Evokers would later bloom. In time, even these living legends perished to the trials of their brave existences and the ravages of time. The world can be unkind to such pure souls.

But even in death, the spark which these chosen children carried does not die. It endures, precious and eternal, and with every cycle of the wheel they return. Their memories may not follow with them, but their wisdom, kindness and the strange nature of their souls which first made this miracle possible very much does.

They are the Children of Light. Bearer of an ancient legacy and inheritors of a legend that transcends space and time. They are the primordial bearers of the Light. And though they cannot hope to fully emulate the power they once used at the origin of time, they grasp the Light in ways which others can barely comprehend and never emulate.

More so than any others, the Light was the fate of these pure and holy souls.

The darkness very much fears them.

Requirements
    To become Child of Light, you must fulfill the following criteria:
    Alignment: Any Good
    Feat: Ancestral Radiant (detailed below)
    Special: Evoker Level 6, Power of Friendship.

Spoiler
    Show
    Level seven entry requiring feat, alignment and full Evoker class up to that point (or truly excessive feat use)

Class Skill List: Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge [History] (Int), Knowledge [Local] (Int), Listen (Wis), Perform (Cha), Sense Motive (Wis), Spot (Wis), Use Magic Device (Cha)

Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 4 + Int modifier.

Spoiler
    Show
    Children aren't going to use skills that often more likely than not. But giving them the list shown seemed to fit best with their nature.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidebar, New Feat
    Ancestral Radiant:

You are the descendant of one of the Heroes of Light. Your ancestor’s power flows in you like a wild river, and all those on the side of angels recognise within you that ancient legacy and for that you are greatly respected. And when ranged against those who would seek to snuff out that light, your words strike far harder.

Prerequisites: Good Alignment, Evoker Level 1

Benefit: All good aligned creatures treat you as one step more friendly in interactions. This does not prevent you from lowering their relation to you naturally, but gives you a much better start. You also gain a Competence bonus to Intimidate, when used against Evil creatures, equal to half your HD.

Special: You may only take this feat at first level.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Level 1 only feat. It's had some work done on it from the base, but I think this is pretty solid.

Child of Light

Level Base Attack Bonus Fort Save Ref Save Will Save Special Illuminations
    1st
    +1
    +2
    +2
    +2
    Enhanced Weaving, Heritage Bound, Incorruptible, Primordial Light, Ancestral Seal (Staff)
    2nd
    +2
    +3
    +3
    +3
    3rd
    +3
    +3
    +3
    +3
    Eternal Grace
    4th
    +4
    +4
    +4
    +4
    Ancestral Seal (Body)
    5th
    +5
    +4
    +4
    +4
    Hope Never Dies
    6th
    +6
    +5
    +5
    +5
    An End to Darkness
    7th
    +7
    +5
    +5
    +5
    Ancestral Seal (Mind)
    8th
    +8
    +6
    +6
    +6
    Hope Lives On
    9th
    +9
    +6
    +6
    +6
    Light Springs Eternal
    10th
    +10
    +7
    +7
    +7
    Ancestral Seal (Spirit)

Spoiler
    Show
    Pretty good chassis. Full BAB, all good saves, but only d8 hd and extremely limited evoker progression. Don't worry there though, it's nowhere near as bad as it looks.

Illuminations: A Child of Light loses little of her power as an evoker, by the primordial power of her ancestor makes it slightly harder for her to craft Illuminations as her sisters do. A Child of Light continues to progress access to Illuminations from her Evoking Class, as well as her Evoker Level, as shown. If she has more than one Evoking Class, then she must choose one of them when she takes her first level in Child of Light. Once made, this choice cannot be changed.

Spoiler
    Show
    Actually true due to one of their first class features. See below.

Enhanced Weaving (Ex): A Child of Light remains fully capable of weaving her Light into protective shells as she could before awakening her heritage. And the primordial, impossible strength that flows from that heritage grants her great power.

A Child of Light gains additional costume elements as if her levels in Child were levels in her previous evoking class or Empath, whichever is more advantageous.

Spoiler
    Show
    Magical girls of this era were all about costume to a degree far more than many of the later ones. So this fits.

Heritage Bound (Ex): Once awakened, the heritage of a Child can never be sealed again. It can only be completed. Once a character takes her first level in Child, she may not exit for the full ten levels until her heritage is fully awakened.

Spoiler
    Show
    Stolen shamelessly from Sublime Chord in terms of basic wording, this is a very good showing for the fact that, once you start down this path, you can't stop. It's just as much a sacrifice of yourself as it is anything else.

Incorruptible (Ex): Children of Light are stalwart in their convictions and pure in their intentions as no others can be. No force may alter their Alignment less than their own freely chosen actions. Any action they may take that may alter their Alignment is fully disclosed to the player by the DM. This comes as a flash of insight to the Child. Whenever any force conspires to make the Child act outside the bounds of her Alignment, she not only disregards the influence but may roll a second saving throw to break out of it. If no saving throw was allowed, then one is allowed at a standard DC.

A Child who ceases to be good or who willfully commits an evil act loses all Child of Light abilities. She may not progress any farther in levels as a Child of Light.

Spoiler
    Show
    This one got lost in the building of the class - my fault for composite building over several days via Skype, but answers the question of going evil and suchlike quite easily.

You. Don't.

Primordial Light (Su): The Children of Light’s power is that of another age, ancient and unbound unlike that of any other Evoker. Her garb is that of the Light’s own, and it cannot be content with the falsehood of a physical form. It burns with the Light of an ancient beacon, and grants her safety against those that would try to harm her.

At 1st level, a Child of Light gains a special costume effect that is always active and gained in addition to all others. Furthermore, she automatically has (class level) motes invested into it, without lowering her mote pool and bypassing normal investment limits.

Effect: The Child gains 20% concealment. This special concealment grants no other benefits of concealment, such as interfering with line of sight or protecting against precision damage.

Essence Boost: For every 3m invested in this effect, increase the Child of Light’s concealment by 5%, to a maximum of 50%. If at least 12m are invested, the Child gains Regeneration/Evil equal to one third of the motes invested. If 20m or more are invested, all lethal damage dealt to the Child is converted to nonlethal. If the Child is in any way immune to non-lethal damage, the damage counts as lethal for bypassing the immunity.

Spoiler
    Show
    No Cartridge Boost here. That's extremely deliberate, mainly as Cartridges are definitely a far more modern magical girl thing. And really, this doesn't need a Cartridge Boost effect. It's good enough on its own.

Ancestral Seal (Su): At first level, the radiant heritage of the Child’s past blooms into life, reaching out from beyond the veil of death and finding purchase in the very core of the roaring fire that burns at her heart. This heritage brings many gifts, but it also sets the Child apart as the bearer of an ancient and eternal legacy that will, in time, change her utterly.

At level one, the Child of Light’s device is fundamentally altered, becoming more a trinket than any real weapon. It becomes a potent focus for her Illuminations, allowing her to treat her Child of Light Evoker Level as full progression for all purposes. The nature of the Child of Light is altered too, a manifestation of the innocent purity that marks their kind. She always deals nonlethal damage, regardless of the source of that damage, and even to creatures immune to it. For the purposes of regeneration or fast healing, it counts as lethal damage. Any effect that would instantly kill or destroy a creature (Slay Living, Destruction, etc.) instead knocks the target unconscious or incapacitates them.

The Child of Light crafts her Illuminations as if she was holding her Device whilst doing so, hence at full evoker level.

At level four, the Child’s connection to her ancestral Hero of Light expands further, wrapping her body in protective Light that secures her from many dangers. She gains a permanent effect as Lesser Globe of Invulnerability while wearing her costume, and may add her Evoker Stat Modifier as an Insight bonus to AC.

At level seven, the blazing radiance of the Child’s primordial power twines into being around her mind, securing her thoughts from the influence of those who might try to twist her to their will. She gains a permanent effect as a double strength Magic Circle against Evil.

And as she attains her tenth level, the ancient fire of the Hero she is becoming erupts across her very being, changing her irrevocably into something far more than mortal. She will still age, and wither and die. But for her time amongst the living, she is forever set apart as one of the great forces of mortal Light of her generation.

The Child of Light becomes an Outsider with the Native and Good subtypes. She gains immunity to acid, cold, electricity and petrification as well as Fire Resistance 10 and a +4 racial bonus against poison. In addition, her Magic Circle against Evil effect improves for her alone, granting her the effects of a permanent effect as Holy Aura.

Any creature looking upon the reborn Hero of Light immediately intuits her as a creature of overwhelming and radiant purity. Unless the Child of Light takes explicit measure to conceal her alignment, it is as plain to sight as the glow of dawn over the horizon.

Spoiler
    Show
    So...yeah. Your EL counts as full so long as you've got your trinket in hand, which is something so absolutely fitting it almost hurts. The rest of this is basically the Saint Template sans stat bonuses and a few other things. Well, and with the addition of permanent Holy Aura.

Eternal Grace (Su): Children of Light are a breed set apart, moving with a grace that speaks of more age then there is in the life of the universe. That grace, enhanced by the Light that courses through them, grants them protection against much that would harm them.

A Child of Light gains a bonus to all saving throws equal to her (Evoker Stat Modifier). This does not stack with Divine Grace, Grace of Eons, or any other class feature that adds a stat modifier to saving throws.

Spoiler
    Show
    Divine Grace for Evokers. This is one of the main reasons that this class is rather restrictive on entrance and cannot be dipped.

Hope Never Dies (Su): It was hope that was the cornerstone of much of the power that the Heroes of Light came to wield. The belief that, regardless of what they faced, if they faced it with utter determination and refusal to quit, they could never lose. And this bullheaded stubbornness and belief in something better than the world they walked is the seed from which many of their greatest miracles sprouted and flourished.

At level five, the Child of Light is immune to all fear effects, be they magical or otherwise. Furthermore, all allies within 30 feet receive a +4 moral bonus to all saving throws against fear. She and all allies within her 30 feet radius mien may also completely ignore all morale or profane penalties. This defense does not endure if her allies leave this radius but re-establishes itself as soon as they return.

Spoiler
    Show
    So you're going to try and scare the magical girl and her allies away. Pffffft! Riiiiight. Sure you are.

An End to Darkness (Su): Magical girls can always find the best in those around them, even the darkest of devils and demons. To their sight, even in those monsters of darkness and blood there is the faint spark of Light. Hidden and caged maybe, but there. And whilst most find this spark so very hard to unearth, the reincarnations of Heroes can go one better. A Child does not simply change the alignment of an outsider. Her radiant power is capable of utterly changing them, rewriting their essence into a form fitting for their new view of life and their reality and freeing them from the shackles of their old life.

At level six, the Child of Light ignores any penalties to using Power of Friendship that may stem from their target being an Outsider (or similarly alien creature). Furthermore, should they succeed in bringing their new friend to the side of Good, they immediately go through a miraculous metamorphosis. Encased in a shell of light, they emerge from it as a butterfly, their entire being purified of their former sins and essence as an unique Outsider of the appropriate subtypes. Their appearance changes to suit the aesthetic of their new alignment but they are otherwise unique creatures. The DM should adapt the newly purified Outsider as best suits his campaign and the spirit of this ability.

Furthermore, the purification process is extremely liberating and experiencing this bliss disposes the Outsider rather well toward her new friend. The Outsider is inclined to be helpful and friendly with the Child of Light unless given pressing reason not to be. If the Child of Light has access to cohorts, the Outsider may be chosen as one of their cohorts if they have no more than (HD-2) hit dice.

Spoiler
    Show
    This ability is primarily fluff, but was a great deal of fun to put together. Nothing really screams this class harder than the ability to go "Yep. that devil? They're now an angel. What'cha gonna do?"

Hope Lives On (Sp): Those who share the heart of a Child of Light may vanish in time, but not before their time has come. Her pure love for them rejects even the cold certainty of death.

Once per day, the Child of Light may use Raise Dead as a spell-like ability with a Caster Level equal to her Evoker Level upon someone with whom she has a previously established positive relationship. This is a full-round action.

Spoiler
    Show
    Crying upon the corpse of your friend to return them to life (or similar). Stock Magical Girl.

Light Springs Eternal (Su): There was a time once, long ago, when the raw emotion of those gifted with the power of Light could snuff out stars and topple gods from their pedestals on high. And whilst that time may be long past, a shadow of that power remains in the spiritual descendants of those original Heroes.

At level nine, the Child may, once per week, drain their entire mote pool to cast Miracle with a Caster Level of their Evoker Level. Their mote pool remains empty after the use of this ability for one minute. The Child must still provide any material, focus, of the Miracle, and the Miracle cannot be a very powerful request.

In addition, by voluntarily gaining four negative levels, the Child may request a more powerful miracle. In such a case, the Miracle does not cost the usual additional 5000 xp. These negative levels cannot be cured by any means and take effect regardless of any immunity to them. Only one of these negative levels is removed every 24 hours, but they never cause permanent level loss. After using this ability, a Child of Light may not request a more powerful miracle until a month after her last negative level as a result of using this class feature has faded.

These Miracles are requested from the Light, and are approved only if the Miracle would be for the good of all, not just that of the Child alone. Selfish Miracles are always refused.

Spoiler
    Show
    This one took quite a bit of wording, but I think worked out ok in the end. In the spirit of the fact that Miracle type effects were basically how massive threats in Sailor Moon and other such old shows were resolved, a Child of Light gets the ability to do that. Not without cost maybe, but they can do it.
    Last edited by Snowfire; 2018-02-05 at 02:50 PM.
    Many thanks to Snowfire for collating all these. He's a madman, but he's a helpful madman.
    Show

<struck dumb>

10. - Top - End - #250
    Troll in the Playground

Light’s Artist

"You don't have to do this. Come, let me show you. You don't have to be afraid anymore."
    -Unknown Light’s Artist, opening her Embrace

Many are those drawn to the Light from its power. More are drawn by the hope it embodies, the strength that endures almost any challenge and emerges whole. But it is a precious few who are drawn to the Light for one of its simplest and yet most complex treasures. Its sheer, utterly heart-stopping, beauty. The Light is the embodiment of every wondrous childhood memory, every magnificent moment where love is shared and given forever. It is the feel of that first kiss, the bone deep protective love for one’s child and the endless wellspring from which those feelings perpetually flow.

Light’s Artist’s tap into that love-borne beauty, that particular facet of the Light, and make it what they are. Wherever an Artist walks, that beauty follows. Wherever she works her power, it remains for all time. And when she is forced into conflict, it surrounds her in a weave of protective Light that reaches out to her opponent with an offer of utter safety. She will walk through the fire, the storms, and everything else that might be levelled against her. She will never strike back, only acting to defend herself and her comrades. And, when she is close enough, she will reach out to her foe, and wrap them in the comforting arms of Light’s true embrace.

Requirements
    To become a Light’s Artist, you must fulfil the following criteria:
    Special: Power of Friendship, Evoker Level 6

Spoiler
    Show
    Another level seven entry class here, but it really fits to a lot of these.

Class Skill List: Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge [History] (Int), Knowledge [Local] (Int), Knowledge [Nobility and Royalty] (Int), Listen (Wis), Perform (Cha) Sense Motive (Wis), Spot (Wis), Use Magic Device (Cha)

Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 6 + Int modifier.

Spoiler
    Show
    The skill list for Child actually came from Artist, but Artist has a few more Knowledge Skills to suit their wider base of understanding.

Light's Artist
    Level Base Attack Bonus Fort Save Ref Save Will Save Special Illuminations
    1st
    +0
    +0
    +2
    +2
    Remembered Weaving, Unbreakable, Light’s Embrace (You Can Be More)
    2nd
    +1
    +0
    +3
    +3
    3rd
    +1
    +1
    +3
    +3
    Radiant Wonder
    4th
    +2
    +1
    +4
    +4
    Light’s Embrace (Love Redeems)
    5th
    +2
    +1
    +4
    +4
    Shining Path
    6th
    +3
    +2
    +5
    +5
    7th
    +3
    +2
    +5
    +5
    Light’s Embrace (Never Too Late)
    8th
    +4
    +2
    +6
    +6
    Triumph of Light
    9th
    +4
    +3
    +6
    +6
    10th
    +5
    +3
    +7
    +7
    Light’s Embrace (One Last Chance)

Spoiler
    Show
    Good EL progression, two saves, but low BAB and d8 HD. A good chassis, but not as terribly strong as it used to be.

Illuminations: An Artist loses only a little of her power as an evoker, but she does lose some. A Light’s Artist continues to progress access to Illuminations from her Evoking Class, as well as her Evoker Level, as shown. If she has more than one Evoking Class, then she must choose one of them when she takes her first level in Light’s Artist. Once made, this choice cannot be changed.

Spoiler
    Show
    As per normal. Look at table, work out EL.

Remembered Weaving (Ex): An Artist can still weave bits and pieces of the protective Light her old vocation gave her, and remains fully capable of tapping into their strength. But as with anything, her focus on something beyond the physicality of the universe weakens her.

A Light’s Artist gains additional costume elements as her Evoker Level and Illuminations progress.

Spoiler
    Show
    Not much really to be said here.

Unbreakable (Su): An Artist is a strange one, but utterly unassailable in their strength of will where it comes to reaching out to those in pain – even those facing her in combat. Weapons blunt themselves on her, bursting into nothing but Light itself in the face of the glory of her Embrace.

At 1st level, an Artist gains a special costume effect that is always active and gained in addition to all others. Furthermore, she automatically has (class level) motes invested into it, without lowering her mote pool and bypassing normal investment limits.

Effect: The Artist gains DR 1/-, as well as 25% fortification, giving her a chance to negate any sneak attack or critical hit and force damage to be rolled normally.

Essence Boost: For every 2m invested into this effect, increase the granted DR by 1. If the evoker has 8 motes or more invested into this effect, she gains Evasion. If another class would grant her evasion, this effect improves to Improved Evasion. If 16 motes or more are invested, she gains Mettle.

Cartridge Boost:
    When a Cartridge is expended to fuel this effect, the Artist is wreathed in a great mantle of furious light that shields her from harm. She gains the effect of the Starmantle spell (BoED), for rounds equal to her (Evoker Stat Modifier).

Spoiler
    Show
    I have to admit, I loved writing this one. Starmantle is such an awesomely fluffy and fitting spell for this type of PrC, and the basic effects on their own aren't too good to make it Champion only.

Light’s Embrace (Su): A Light’s Artist is a part of the Light in a way that none of her fellows can ever imagine. She becomes a living conduit of the infinite love and endless forgiveness that is her particular facet of Light. And when faced by foes on all sides, she does not fight them as her sisters would. Instead she reaches within and Embraces those who have lost their way in her loving Light, opening their eyes to themselves and offering them another way out of the hell that has become their life.

At level one, an Artist may make a touch attack against an enemy. If she hits, a ribbon of her Light flares out from her soul, wrapping them in a gentle embrace. Her target must make a will save vs a DC of (10 + ½ HD + Evoker Stat Modifier) or be affected as Calm Emotions, as the memories of her past – and the possibilities of her future – overwhelm her. The Caster Level for the Calm Emotions effect is equal to twice (class level), and it requires concentration as normal. When this effect ends, the Artist may make an immediate Power of Friendship roll, with a +1 bonus for each round that she held her target within her Embrace to a maximum bonus of (class level). She may only Embrace one target at a time and must remain within 5’ of her to hold the Embrace.

Once a target has freed herself from the Artist's Embrace, she is immune to its effects for 24 hours.

At level four, the Light’s Artist’s inner radiance reaches forth to those around her with a graceful ease that would be terrifying if it was not so…right. She can reach out across a battlefield, twining multiple ribbons around those near her, and bringing them peace. The Artist may sustain a number of Embraces equal to half of her class level. Her Calm Emotions effect bypasses immunity to Mind Affecting or Compulsion effects except that granted by mindlessness – although it grants a +6 bonus on their will save to any with such immunity – and gains a range of 5’/every two class levels. She may also make Embraces as iterative attacks in a full attack. Finally, she may sustain her Embraces so long as those targeted by them remain within her range.

On reaching level seven, an Artist has learned to tap deeply enough into the love-channel of Light that those within her Embrace realise that they never truly wish to run. Those Embraced by an Artist must now make two saves against the standard DC. One against the Calm Emotions effect, and one against a Slow effect with a CL equal to twice (class level).
    And at level ten, a Light’s Artist attains such a mastery of herself as a conduit of the Love of Light, that her power transcends the limitations of her mortal shell. She reaches beyond the Embrace, to something more, granting even the most desperate and lost soul another chance.

At 10th level, the Artist adds a third effect to her Embrace that is saved against in addition to Slow and Calm Emotions. If her target fails their save, they are rendered dazed by the torrent of memory and possible futures that they can still grasp that floods their mind. In addition, the Artist gains the ability to, when pushed far enough, utterly stop combat with the gravest of sanctions. Once per encounter, she may produce an effect similar to End to Strife (BoED) as a supernatural ability, with a DC as the other effects of Light’s Embrace.

Spoiler
    Show
    There's some rather nice things in this PrC, but it's also situational enough that it's part of why the Artist's basic chassis is quite strong.

Radiant Wonder (Ex): Light’s Artists exude a strange, yet utterly powerful, aura of safety and love that enfolds all around them. Usually invisible in its effect, an Artist can focus this aura if she so wishes to sway the opinions of those around her to aid them in seeing the Light.

The Artist gains a bonus equal to her class level on Bluff, Diplomacy, Gather Information, Intimidate and Sense Motive. In addition, she gains an at will extraordinary Charm Person effect with a DC of (10 + ½ HD + Evoker Stat Modifier) that she may use as a standard action.

At level seven this effect improves to Charm Monster. At tenth level, any racial immunity which may protect from these effects is negated. Such monsters instead receive a +6 bonus to their saving throw to resist this ability.

Spoiler
    Show
    At will Charm effects with a bonus to social skills. Makes sense.

Shining Path (Su): The path to those in need of love is sometimes a very hard one. Those who believe themselves unworthy will lock themselves away. Those who are afraid will levy dreadful blood penalties against those who try to give it. But an Artist cares little for such things. The path from her to the one who needs her help will always be clear to her, and nothing can bar it from her.

At level five, once per encounter, an Artist may designate a single opponent as a standard action. When moving towards him, she cannot be held by any means, passes freely through obstructions to her path and does not provoke attacks of opportunity. Not even impenetrable obstacles, such as a wall of force or forcecage, may hinder her path. Once per round, whilst moving towards her target, she may ignore the effects of any effect dealing harm other than hit point damage that would affect her. If her target moves away, she automatically moves the same distance towards him – gaining necessary burrow, swim or fly speeds as necessary for the action. An artist must move a minimum of half her speed towards her designated opponent each round until she is close enough to use her Embrace on the opponent at which point the effect ends and she is required to use her Light’s Embrace on the designated target as her next action. The Path grants her a speed of her base land speed for all types of movement (flight, swim, burrow, etc.) whenever it is necessary.

Spoiler
    Show
    Almost purely fluff here, the mechanics of this are really quite simple and not particularly powerful. Walking through a Wall of Force and suchlike is nice, but you also have to follow your foe. And that can end...badly.

Triumph of Light (Ex): The other side of the Shining Path, the Triumph of Light is perhaps the most feared of all an Artist’s abilities. Many know the limits of the Shining Path, that it forces an Artist to pursue her target regardless of where they might go and what may be waiting. The Artist’s answer to this weakness is this.

Once per encounter as an immediate action, an Artist may surround herself in an unbreakable shell of radiant power that shields her from anything that attempts to harm her. For a single round, she reflects all attacks and effects that target her directly straight back at their sources. Harmful spells or other effects that would include her in their area of effect exclude her space from their affected area. In addition, any harmful conditions she is currently affected by are suppressed for the round.

At level ten, the Artist gains another per encounter use of this ability.

Spoiler
    Show
    And to counteract that massive weakness to ambushes, we have this. I'll admit, this one is powerful, but as it's only 1/encounter and will only keep you safe, I wouldn't place on the game breaking end of that scale.
    Last edited by Snowfire; 2014-04-02 at 01:18 PM.
    Show

<struck dumb>

11. - Top - End - #251
    Troll in the Playground

And now this is the something else I've been talking about. You may have, in passing, heard of the new Pazio Mythic Path system. I read up on it a few months back and, I'll admit, fell in love with how adaptable the system is to any real play level and...just the easy simplicity of it. So this a result of that really - and the fact that both of the ToR base games I'm running are going to hit Mythic at the end of their first campaign arc.

Evokers are special. This is known all across the universe; even by those that would see them cast into the dust. The wielders of light are precious gifts to those whose purposes align with them. Powerful warriors, many faced tricksters or confidants and wise sages. Within each an endless, inescapable power that touches a primal awe within all who see it, even as it can terrify those who would fight against it, evokers are the nameless fear that comes for those of darkness – and yes, sometimes light. A power that can change the face of worlds or realities, in the same way as it can effortlessly turn those who fight against it to its wielder’s cause.

But then there are those evokers who are not so much channels of the Light as they are of Light. Evokers who go beyond the perceived boundaries of what is possible. These evokers have a Destiny, almost regardless of their wishes. For as the Light aids them, so it also drives them. Power such as this is not one that can be abandoned. And that, perhaps, is part of the reason for which Avatars are so few. It takes something very special to make that step. But whilst they may be few, their power shines forth brighter than the heavens. And all the hosts of angels may find themselves dim in comparison.

The Avatar

Tier Path Features Mythic Illuminations
    1st Avatar’s Light, Bonus hit points, Path ability
    -
    2nd Path ability
    -
    3rd Path ability
    4th Path ability
    5th Path ability
    6th Path ability
    7th Path ability
    8th Path ability
    9th Path ability
    10th Eternal Avatar, Path ability

As they increase in tier, Avatars gain the following abilities.

Mythic Illuminations: At 3rd tier, you may select a single Illumination from your Illuminations Known. All Component effects of the Illumination become Mythic and you may expend Mythic Power equal to your Mythic rank when evoking it to enhance its effects. At 6th and 9th tier, you may select another Mythic Illumination.

Avatar’s Light: Select one of the following abilities at 1st tier. Once chosen, it can’t be changed.

Dawn’s Light (Su): As a free action, you may expend a single use of Mythic Power to instantly restore all of your cartridges. In addition, you add your Mythic Rank to your Champion level for the purposes of Enhanced Armaments and all Costume effects.

Shining Moon (Su): You may expend a single use of Mythic Power as a free action to switch Personas. You also add your Mythic Rank to your Empath Level for the purposes of what Aspects you may choose from in crafting a Persona.

Light of the Stars (Su): You may expend a single use of Mythic Power as a free action to instantly refill your Luminous Reservoir. In addition, add your Mythic Rank to your Stargazer level for the purposes of the Complex Formula class feature.

Bonus Hit Points: Whenever you gain an Avatar tier, you gain 4 bonus hit points. These hit points stack with themselves, and do not affect your overall Hit Dice or other statistics.

Path Ability: At 1st tier, and every tier thereafter, select one new path ability from the following list or from the list of universal path abilities (see Mythic Adventures, p. 20). Once you select an ability, it can’t be changed. Unless otherwise noted, each ability can be selected only once. You must meet the minimum Avatar tier requirement before selecting an ability.

Blessed of Light (Su): Whenever you encounter a creature whose attitude is at least indifferent, treat its attitude as one step higher. If the creature’s starting attitude is helpful, you can make requests of the creature with a +5 bonus on your Diplomacy skill check.

Channel Power (Su): You gain the ability to channel raw power into an Illumination you evoke. Using this ability requires you to expend one use of mythic power while evoking an Illumination. Any damage dealt by the Illumination is increased by 50%. In addition, if the Illumination has a duration greater than 1 round, the duration is doubled. Any saves required by the Illumination are made at a –4 penalty, although mythic creatures reduce this penalty to –2. This Illumination ignores any spell resistance the targets have, and any damage it deals bypasses the targets’ energy resistances or energy immunities. You must be at least 8th tier before selecting this ability.

Endless Light (Su): You increase your Evoker Level by two, even if that means increasing your EL above your HD. You must be at least 7th tier before selecting this ability

Enduring Illuminations (Ex): You can extend the duration of any Barrier or Surge by evoking the same Illumination on the existing target, adding the second duration to any duration that remains on the first evoking. This does not otherwise alter any variable effects of the original evoking. If the Illumination allows a saving throw, the target can make a saving throw to avoid extending the effect.

Friendship is Light (Su): Divide the amount of time required to use Power of Friendship by your tier. In addition, you may expend one use of mythic power to effect a number of targets up to [Mythic ability score modifier x Avatar tier] with Power of Friendship in a single ‘use’ of the ability. You must be 5th tier or higher before selecting this ability.

Itemcraft (Ex): You are skilled at getting the most out of magic items. You add 1/2 your Avatar tier (minimum 1) to the caster level of potions, scrolls, staves, and wands you use when determining the effects of the spells created by them. When using a staff, wand, or other charged item, you can expend one use of mythic power in place of one charge.

Light Shines Eternal (Ex): When below 0 hit points you don’t fall unconscious and don’t take damage from acting normally. You do not die until your total number of negative hit points is equal to or greater than three times your Constitution score.

Mythic Costume (Ex): You gain a Mythic Costume Element for each three Avatar Tiers you possess (minimum 1). Mythic Elements may be freely changed whenever an evoker changes their Costume Elements.

Mythic Evoker (Ex): You may calculate the basic number of Mythic Illuminations you have access to as if they were Mythic Magic and you were an Archmage or Hierophant. You must be 3rd tier or higher before selecting this ability.

Servant of Light (Su): You do not take any additional damage from a critical hit, but any other effects that trigger on a critical hit still affect you normally. In addition, you always fail any check made to confirm a critical hit. You must be at least 6th tier or higher before you can select this ability.

Sustained by Light (Su): If you spend at least 1 hour of prayer or meditation you require no food, water, or sleep for 24 hours. This time can be the same time you use to prepare spells. You must still rest 8 hours to regain spells but you are not subject to fatigue or exhaustion due to a lack of sleep. Additionally, once per day you may expend one use of mythic power as a full-round action to refresh yourself as if you had rested for 8 hours for the purposes of regaining spells and healing heal hit point and ability damage.

Eternal Avatar: At 10th tier, whenever you evoke an Illumination that targets one or more non-mythic creatures, they must roll any saves associated with the Illumination twice and take the worse result. You gain DR 10/Epic. In addition, you become immune to damage caused by your own Illuminations, or that of Illuminations evoked by non-Mythic Evokers. Finally, whenever you knock a foe of equal or higher HD unconscious, you may regain a use of mythic power. You may not gain more uses of mythic power than your maximum with this ability.

Mythic Illuminations

As magic is enhanced and strengthened by the inherent connection to a grand destiny that makes a Mythic character what they are, so too does the Light shine stronger in those Champions, Empaths and Stargazers who are marked for something…more. The simplest, and most well-known, effect of this strength is shown in the Light they wield against their foes.

Blasts

Foundation Components:

Spoiler
    Show
    Clinging: Powerful evokers can make their blasts linger, but when such skilful power is amplified by Mythic ability, they become much harder to avoid and resist. When evoking a Mythic blast with the Clinging component, the evoker adds her Mythic Rank to the Blast’s total damage and the Fortitude save DC vs the damage over time effect of the component.

Power: Power is a very simple foundation, and the effects of Mythic power on it are just as simple. When evoking a Mythic Blast with the Power component, the evoker adds her Mythic Rank to each damage dice.

Tremors: With the application of Mythic power, the pure force of Tremors is amplified to bone-breaking levels, capable of launching opponents across considerable distances and reducing their ability to rise again. When evoking a Mythic Blast with the Tremors component the evoker adds her Mythic Rank to the number of motes spent on the Blast for purposes of Tremor’s knockback effect. In addition, any affected by such a Blast must make a Fortitude save or be stunned for a round.

Shape Components:

Spoiler
    Show
    Assault: Mythic characters hit far stronger, and much more accurately, than their counterparts and this is reflected in all shape components. But perhaps not as spectacularly as with the Assault component. When evoking a Mythic Blast with the Assault component, an Evoker may spend two uses of Mythic power to extend the effects of the Blast to all of their attacks for that round.

Beam/Explosion/Storms/Eruption: All these shapes share a common theme, changing the area over which a blast is spread in exchange for a chance for those inside that area to avoid some of it. Mythic characters cannot prevent those inside such effects from dodging, but they can make it far harder. By spending one use of Mythic Power, an Evoker may increase the number of effective ranks in the Shape component of the blast by up to half her Mythic Rank (minimum 1). In addition, the Reflex save DC alone increases by the Evoker’s Mythic Rank.

Cascade: Cascade is an archetypal shape, little changed by the application of Mythic power – except in regards to improved control. Whereas most shapes are amplified in terms of area, the Cascade shape becomes a lethal hail that belies its pinpoint accuracy. By spending a single use of Mythic Power, an evoker may increase the number of targets they may select by their Mythic Rank.

Chains: A powerful, and reasonably rare, shape, the rippling blasts created by the Chains shape is perhaps the second most spectacularly modified shape where Mythic Blasts are involved. By spending one use of Mythic Power, an evoker may add effective ranks to this component of the blast equal to half her Mythic Rank (minimum 1).

Secondary Components:

Spoiler
    Show
    Horizons: Horizons is a powerful blast effect on its own, allowing a wielder of the Light to reach enemies far further away then she normally should. And yet in the hands of a Mythic character, it is capable of almost reaching its namesake. An evoker evoking a Mythic Blast with the Horizons component may spend a use of Mythic Power to dramatically amplify the range of her blasts to almost beyond sight. Instead of following normal doubling rules, the range mathematically doubles with each rank - quadrupling for the second doubling, and multiplying by eight for the third.

Dissonance: Alone amongst all Blast components, Dissonance is the only one which can be invariably identified as bordering on true evil, sapping at its target’s lifeforce and tugging at both soul and mind with its sickly effects. When enhanced by Mythic Power, these effects reach beyond simple tugs – becoming active anchors that weigh heavily an Evoker’s targets. When evoking a Mythic Blast with this component, an Evoker may spend a use of Mythic Power to inflict a single negative level on all targets damaged by the Blast. Those affected may make a Fortitude save vs Illumination DC to negate the effect. If they fail, the negative levels fades after (Evoker Level) hours.

Sundering: The Sundering effect is quite probably the most commonly used secondary component in the arsenal of a Magical Girl who works as part of a team – allowing her to highlight chinks and gaps in even the best armours. On its own, this effect outlines those parts of a foe’s armour. But with the application of Mythic Power it seeps deeply into crack and fracture, setting them ablaze with Light. When evoking a Mythic Blast with the Sundering component, an Evoker may spend a use of Mythic Power to amplify the effect, extending the penalty to AC alone to 1 + [Evoker’s Mythic Rank] rounds.

In addition to the above effects, a powerful enough evoker may enhance their Blasts further with a blazing Light that tears through their opponent’s protections. An evoker of Mythic Rank 6 or higher may spend two uses of Mythic Power to make their Device bypass all damage reduction other than Mythic for the purposes of the Assault component, and their Blasts ignore hardness, all resistances and treat all immunities as Resistance 20.

Barriers

Foundation Components:

Spoiler
    Show
    Barricades: The archetypal ‘wall of light’, the cohesion and internal strength of this effect is greatly strengthened by the innate power of a Mythic evoker. When evoked as the Foundation effect of a Mythic Barrier, the Barricades effect become impassable without the use of a full round action strength check. The DC of the Strength check also increases by the evoker’s Mythic Rank.

Shadows: Rippling patterns, illusions, darkness, all that which conceals. These are the manifestations of the Shadows component, each one capable of obscuring the sight of those who would wish to harm a wielder of Light. When evoked as the Foundation effect of a Mythic Barrier, the Shadow’s effect intensifies massively, granting the Barrier a base effect far stronger than one would expect. The base miss chance of the Barrier is increased by 5% for every 2 Mythic Ranks the evoker has attained (minimum 5%).

Shelter: Shelter is the other archetypal barrier type utilised by Wielders of Light, forming shimmering domes and walls of light that can stop attacks short and provide protection to those within from wide area effect spells. As the Foundation of a Mythic Barrier, the effective number of motes for the purposes of the Shelter effect increases by twice the Evoker’s Mythic Rank.

Tempests: Normally snow and rain – but sometimes taking far more esoteric appearances – the Tempest Foundation does not become stronger in the same manner of other effects when evoked as part of a Mythic Barrier. The amount of material falling and coating the ground does not increase. The effect of such however…changes. When evoked as the Foundation of a Mythic Barrier, an evoker imbues the falling material with a strange, quasi-sentient awareness. The penalty to Spot and Search checks increases by the evoker’s Mythic Rank. In addition, at the 10m level and higher, the Reflex save vs falling prone becomes a save against entanglement – with a bonus to the DC equal to the evoker’s Mythic Rank.

Shape Components:

Unlike Blasts and Surges, where the amplification effects between Shapes have at least some differences, the Mythic Power enhancement effect to all Barrier shapes is very simple – and universal. By expending a use of Mythic Power when evoking a Mythic Barrier, an Evoker may add up to half her Mythic Rank in additional ranks to the Shape Component.

Secondary Components:

Spoiler
    Show
    Pilgrimage: The Pilgrimage effect is boosted by Mythic power in exactly the same way as the Horizon’s component, mathematically doubling the range of the Barrier in exchange for a single use of Mythic Power.

Radiance: Light in the darkness. Such is one of the most commonly used terms to describe evokers. The Radiance component personifies this effect, but when paired with Mythic Power, simple light becomes a beacon of blinding power. When evoking a Mythic Barrier with the Radiance component, the evoker may spend a single use of Mythic Power to add effective ranks in the Radiance component to the Barrier for purposes of dispelling darkness spells and effects. In addition, the Evoker may choose to sear the vision of all around her with the radiant fury of Light. This counts as a Blindness/Deafness spell that affects all those within the area of bright light spread by the barrier. The effect lasts for rounds equal to half the evoker’s Mythic Rank.

A Mythic character of Mythic Rank 5 or higher may spend an additional use of Mythic Power to direct this searing power so that it targets only those hostile to her.

Ancients: Tapping into the eternal flow of light is a simple, if not perhaps easy thing to do. But when an evoker pours Mythic ability into tying their powers to that timeless river of power, she finds it far easier to attain a meaningful connection. She may spend a use of Mythic Power to add effective ranks in the Ancients component equal to half her Mythic Rank.

Breath: Breeze and wind, there is no greater force of nature in all the world to many. The Breath component gifts an Evoker with the power to control these winds – and Mythic Power grants her such dexterity with that control that she can rival the greatest of magician’s power over such things. When evoking a Mythic Barrier with the Breath component, an evoker may spend a use of Mythic Power to add half her Mythic Rank (minimum 1) to the number of ranks in the Breath component of the Barrier.

Surges

Foundation Components:

Spoiler
    Show
    Battles: Nothing travels faster than light itself. This is well known, the benchmark in fact against which all measure speed. Normal Magical Girls tap into this speed with this surge, but a Mythic one can almost become it. A Mythic Surge with the Battles Foundation grants a true Haste effect, with additional attacks granted as written for each 7m of cost.

Courage: Strength together, in shared bravery and defiance against darkness. The Courage Foundation is the underlying feeling of that strength, made manifest by light. And where the light of others shines, it blazes with an unmistakeable power when wielded by a Mythic character. When such evokes a Mythic Surge with the Courage Foundation, she adds her Mythic Rank to the granted Radiant bonus to AC.

Denunciations: Anger is very different from hatred. But even anger is a rare thing for many evokers to show in combat. But when they do, the world trembles at the power that such emotion sets lose upon it. When a Denunciations Foundation Mythic Surge is evoked, the penalty to all saving throws inflicted by the Surge is increased by half the evoker’s Mythic Rank (minimum 1).

Diamonds: Normally a candle flame that stands firm against even a hurricane blast, the Diamonds Foundation solidifies into a film of unbreakable light when evoked by one with Mythic Rank. This takes the effect of increasing the damage reduction granted by the Barrier by the Evoker’s Mythic Rank.

Justice: A power that protects the innocent and punishes the aggressors, Mythic Justice strikes all the harder than its normal counterpart. When evoking a Mythic Surge with the Justice Foundation, an evoker adds her Mythic Rank to the effective number of motes spent on the Illumination for purposes of this effect alone.

Might: Fortifying and enhancing natural potential is the province the Might Surge effect – but when a Mythic character evokes such an effect they do not so much enhance their own potential as replace that potential with Light itself. When evoking a Mythic Surge with the Might Foundation, an evoker adds her Mythic Rank to the effective number of motes spent on the Illumination for purposes of this effect alone.

Mockery: A single misstep can bring down an empire. A single word, ill spoken, can shatter the very stars around you. And few know this simple power better than the wielders of Light. And as they know how not to utter such words or make similar missteps, evokers can manipulate their power in such a way that it causes others to make those mistakes. And with Mythic power behind them, their foes rarely make a mistake only once. When evoking a Mythic Surge with the Mockery Foundation, an evoker adds her Mythic Rank to the Will save DC for the effect, and half her Mythic Rank (minimum 1) to the number of actions for which the penalty applies.

Resolve: Life grows from light. Anyone who has seen plants grow knows that they stretch towards the sun. And in this they are not alone. All grow towards the Light, trying to find a way to reach that most lofty of goals. That Light can restore life as easily as it creates it. And where such power meets the strength of those touched by Mythic Power, the light restores more than broken bones – it can restore magically inflicted weakness. When evoking a Mythic Surge with the Resolve Foundation, an evoker may remove ability damage, burn or drain equal to her Mythic Rank.

Sanctity: As a shield against the unwholesome and simply wrong in the world, there are few greater shields than the Light channelled by evokers. When evoking a Mythic Surge with the Sanctity Foundation, an evoker may add half her Mythic rank to the bonus to all saving throws.

Shape Components:

Spoiler
    Show
    Bolts: Arcing ribbons of light that bring aid to allies – and doom to enemies - the Bolts component launches the effects of Surges across distances to specific targets with pinpoint accuracy. When a Mythic character’s own ability is added to the mix, the level of targeting proficiency greatly increases. By spending a use of Mythic Power when evoking a Mythic Surge with this Shape component, an evoker may target additional targets up to her Mythic Rank.

Pulses: Waves of light that fill the air with power, spreading the power of their surges out around them in ripple-patterns of radiant power. The Mythic extension of this Shape is very similar to many other Shape extensions. By expending a use of Mythic Power when evoking a Mythic Barrier, an Evoker may add up to half her Mythic Rank in additional ranks to the Pulses Component

Secondary Components:

Spoiler
    Show
    Amplitude: The Amplitude component increases in exactly the same manner as the two similar to it – Horizons and Pilgrimage – by mathematically doubling when a use of Mythic Power is expended on this effect in a Mythic Surge.

Purity: True healing may be beyond the power of most evokers. However, to a Mythic evoker, such restrictions are simply guidelines that they can choose to ignore. By spending a use of Mythic Power on this component of a Mythic Surge, an evoker may freely add ranks in this component equal to her Mythic Rank.

An evoker of Mythic Rank four or higher may spend an additional two uses of Mythic Power to fully remove the effects chosen to be suppressed by the evoker.

Awe/Emptiness/Promises/Heartbreak: For all the knowledge and power in the world, the simple purity of Light can – rightly used – bring anyone to their knees. To one with Mythic ability behind them, such power is simply effortless. When evoking a Mythic Surge with any of the listed components, an evoker may spend a use of Mythic Power to add her Mythic Rank to the DC of the Will save vs the component’s effects.

Burdens: Any evoker can blaze so brightly that the regrets of the mind chain the body and soul. Mythic ones however burn so bright that those under their light find themselves frozen in place with their revealed fears. By spending a use of Mythic Power on this component of a Mythic Surge, the evoker amplifies this component such that it forces the target(s) to make a reflex save vs pinning.

Echoes: Even in the deepest darkness, shards of lost light remain. When a candle is snuffed out, the embers continue to burn. Evokers can mimic this echoing survival, and Mythic ones simply allow them to tap further into the power of that stubborn refusal to fade away. An evoker may spend a use of Mythic Power to add effective ranks in the Echoes component equal to half her Mythic Rank.

Mythic Imbuements

The garb and weapons of Magical Girls are formed of Light itself and amplified by the power of that very same. These effects are powerful in their own right, allowing evokers to call on many subtle – and not so subtle – manifestations of power that are greatly envied. And when Mythic strength is added to the mix, the light within these elements condenses, mixing with the fated strength of the evoker to form far stronger basic powers.

Device Imbuements:

Spoiler
    Show
    Enhanced: When chosen as a Mythic Costume element, the Mythic evoker adds her Mythic Power die to the enhancement bonus granted by the element.

Protective: As a Mythic element, the bonuses granted by the Protective effect increase by the Mythic evokers Mythic Power dice step.

Temporal: For the purposes of the Temporal element, a Mythic evoker adds their Mythic Power die to their evoker level.

Resplendent: The bonus to the save DCs of all Illuminations increases by half the evoker’s Mythic Power dice step.

Resolved: The evoker adds her Mythic Power die to the amount of damage reduction and hardness bypassed by her attacks, and half that to the bonus on rolls to confirm critical hits.

Costume Imbuements:

Spoiler
    Show
    Defiant: The evoker adds [5 x her Mythic Power die]% to the fortification effect granted by this element, and adds her Mythic Power dice step to the granted DR.

Nimble: The evoker’s Mythic dice step is added to the normally granted skill bonuses to Jump, Swim, Climb, Tumble and Balance checks.

Primal: When chosen as a Mythic effect, the energy resistance granted by this effect increases by [5x half the evoker’s Mythic Power dice step] and the bonus to damage for illuminations that deal the same energy type increases by half the evoker’s Mythic power dice step per die.

Subtle: The evoker adds her Mythic Power dice step to the skill bonuses to Hide and Move Silently.

Warded: The Mythic Power die of the evoker is added to the spell and power resistance granted by this effect.

Weightless: Increase fly Maneuverability by steps equal to one third the evoker's Mythic Power dice step, and add the same to the number of rounds that she may remain in flight before needing to land.

New Mythic Feats

Mythic Costume: Gain one Mythic Imbuement. You may not take this feat more than three times.

Mythic Illumination: Select one Illumination from your Illuminations Known. All Component effects of the Illumination become Mythic and you may expend Mythic Power equal to your Mythic rank when evoking it to enhance its effects.
    Last edited by Snowfire; 2015-02-25 at 01:07 PM.
    Show

<struck dumb>

12. - Top - End - #252
    Troll in the Playground

\

For this, you are my hero. I love the mythic rules and its great to see a ToR level of mythic.
    Last edited by Dragonus45; 2013-02-15 at 10:27 AM.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Ogre in the Playground

Now that I've read up on Mythic Paths (thanks for bringing that to my notice - it's quite interesting), I'll say that the Avatar of Light is nicely done.

My only recommendations are that you need to add a section for Lesser Trials (just stealing a selection of existing trials should work nicely, though you may want to add a few of your own), and a few more Path abilities.

Here's an ability I've been wanting to see:
    Meta-Illuminations (Ex): When choosing feats, the Avatar may choose any metamagic feat, treating their Evoker level as a caster level for qualification purposes. The Evoker may then use any metamagic feat they know with one of their illuminations with the following changes. When applying a metamagic feat to an illumination, evoking that illumination takes longer than normal (Surges become move actions, Barriers become standard, Blasts become full round). Any effect that is determined by spell level is instead determined by 1/2 evoker level (round up). And the illumination now requires additional motes equal to twice the spell level modifier. For example, a 5th level evoker with the Extend and Empower metamagic feats has a Surge illumination that costs 3 motes to use. They may choose to apply the Extend metamagic to this surge, and it costs them 5 motes to use (note that effects depending on the mote cost, use the base cost, not the modified mote cost). They cannot use the Empower metamagic feat on this surge, since it would cost 7 motes and they may only spend 5 motes to evoke it.

I've been wanting to find a place for that. It might be more appropriate as a new feat, though.

14. - Top - End - #254
    Troll in the Playground

Trials are mostly fine as is I think, although I may add one or two along Power of Friendship lines. As for more powers, I'll definitely add the one you've given - with a Mythic Power use - but I'm really not sure what to do for the others. Any ideas would be great.

And, although I know it's a big thing to ask, what do you think of the other PrCs I've posted so far? I'm rather curious.
    Last edited by Snowfire; 2013-02-16 at 11:10 AM.
    Show

<struck dumb>

15. - Top - End - #255
    Ogre in the Playground

Trials are mostly fine as is I think, although I may add one or two along Power of Friendship lines. As for more powers, I'll definitely add the one you've given - with a Mythic Power use - but I'm really not sure what to do for the others. Any ideas would be great.
    ? Unless I'm reading it wrong, the Avatar only has access to the Universal trials (there are like 4 of them) right now. I was just suggesting that they get access to a few others.

And, although I know it's a big thing to ask, what do you think of the other PrCs I've posted so far? I'm rather curious.
    I haven't read through the last few yet, I've been busy with other things (and distracted by reading the Mythic rules). I'll critique them when I get a chance.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kestrel404 View Post
    ? Unless I'm reading it wrong, the Avatar only has access to the Universal trials (there are like 4 of them) right now. I was just suggesting that they get access to a few others.
    Oh riiiight

And that seemed to have totally passed me by. I mean, the universals are pretty much just basic ideas - that DMs are meant to expand upon - but you make a very good point that I seem to have missed rather badly. I'll work some stuff up later on.

Quote Originally Posted by kestrel404 View Post
    I haven't read through the last few yet, I've been busy with other things (and distracted by reading the Mythic rules). I'll critique them when I get a chance.
    *smiles*

Absolutely no problem. Other things are important - as are, to a lesser degree, reading the Mythic rules as Silver and Crystal is going there at then end of first arc.

But when you get that chance, I'd appreciate it. I have some, but more feedback is almost always good.
    Show

<struck dumb>

17. - Top - End - #257
    Titan in the Playground

Hokay. I was gonna comment yesterday, but in-depth reviewing was beyond my tired sadness.

A lot of the things I'm intending to complain about are just personal dislikes, so you'll probably want to ignore pretty much half of it flat out. But I feel I should say it.

Child of Light
    Spoiler
    Show
    Really, really dislike alignment requirements. I guess this is justified, though... >_> Personally I'd like the option of playing someone evil wrapped in the trappings of light and good, or the descendent of someone pure who really, definitely isn't. Imagine what you could do with the tenth level Ancestral Seal shining out a Good alignment on a smiling, maxed-out-bluff murderess.
    Also, I just realised there are no rules here for what happens if you stop being Good. Technically, you could start kicking puppies and drinking orphan's tears at level two with no problems. Intended..?

I'm really not fond of Heritage Bound. I could point out that Divine Grace is gained at second level, but if it REALLY bugs you as a balance thing, I'd suggest making it +evoker attribute modifier or your class level, whichever is lower, and note it's uncapped at ten.
    (Incidentally, it's an Attribute, not a stat. But that's semantics.)

It feels kinda odd to have class feature costume effects that you then put motes into rather than spending the motes. That said, there's no reason not to do it like that, and it could interact with other effects in some way. I dunno. I was crotchety when I read it. DXD

Being fearless is way less cool than the Champion fear class feature. I dunno quite what to suggest about that, just bugs me.

Do you need to pay the gold cost for raise dead?

How about the XP for Miracle?
    Miracle makes me quite uncomfortable, even with all the chains on it there...

I do like the class though. :)

Light's Artist
    Spoiler
    Show
    Unbreakable is kinda similar to a costume element that already exists, which is odd. Atm, they don't stack either. :(

So the enemy is embraced, and that lasts until you stop being within 5ft? And if they fail the initial save, that's it?
    You should probably specify what action it takes you use before you get it as iteratives. I presume standard.

The Charm effects should specify at will as a standard action. This is also very, very strong.

With Shining Path, what happens if your opponent is 50ft above you? You can't spend your action moving towards them.
    Also, can you move through enemies? Solid objects?

Spoiler
    Show
    I don't know the mythic system, so I have very little to say. xD

Do mythic tiers happen INSTEAD of levelling up? if they don't, then there's a problem, since you choose a mythic illumination once, but rework your entire set every level.

Does Light Shines Eternal stack with Font of Life in any way?

Hope this is helpful. :)
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

18. - Top - End - #258

Mythic is basically a set of levels that happen regardless of your class levels and in addition to them.
    Think "Divine Rank, but actually balanced and with different classes for it".

So you could be a 10th-level Wizard, with all that implies, with a Mythic Rank of 4, gaining several features and some HP from it.

19. - Top - End - #259
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    Really, really dislike alignment requirements. I guess this is justified, though... >_> Personally I'd like the option of playing someone evil wrapped in the trappings of light and good, or the descendent of someone pure who really, definitely isn't. Imagine what you could do with the tenth level Ancestral Seal shining out a Good alignment on a smiling, maxed-out-bluff murderess.
    Too bad, not going to happen. If you're like that, you're never going to be able to awaken the ancestral spark inside of you. I understand that you may not like this, but there is absolutely no way I'm changing it.

Also, I just realised there are no rules here for what happens if you stop being Good. Technically, you could start kicking puppies and drinking orphan's tears at level two with no problems. Intended..?
    That is probably going to get fixed.

I'm really not fond of Heritage Bound. I could point out that Divine Grace is gained at second level, but if it REALLY bugs you as a balance thing, I'd suggest making it +evoker attribute modifier or your class level, whichever is lower, and note it's uncapped at ten.
    (Incidentally, it's an Attribute, not a stat. But that's semantics.)
    Yeah, no. This is mainly fluff, but also due to the fact that it isn't Divine Grace that I'm trying to lock here.

It feels kinda odd to have class feature costume effects that you then put motes into rather than spending the motes. That said, there's no reason not to do it like that, and it could interact with other effects in some way. I dunno. I was crotchety when I read it. DXD
    Just pointing out here, free costume effects was something I took from Aerial Mage on the last page. Every PrC since then has incorporated the effect as it fits and is really flavourful. There's also the fact that you get free motes into these effects so that you can just leave them at class level motes for absolutely no cost.

Being fearless is way less cool than the Champion fear class feature. I dunno quite what to suggest about that, just bugs me.
    In all honesty, the fearless bit is just gravy. The meat of the class feature is the flat immunity to morale and profane penalties for you and all your allies within 30' of you.

Do you need to pay the gold cost for raise dead?
    No. It's a spell like ability. They have, by SRD definition, no cost.

How about the XP for Miracle?
    Miracle makes me quite uncomfortable, even with all the chains on it there...
    No offence, I think you need to re-read miracle. XP cost is only for the really powerful effect. The spell-mimic and such effects costs nothing.

And in all honesty, Miracle 1/day at level 17 is not broken at all. That's the point where everyone is hitting 9th level spells. Giving a 1/day use via class feature (with far heavier restrictions than a cleric will ever likely have) is quite fair.

I do like the class though. :)
    Thanks. Was a lot of fun to write - had a lot of help from a friend on the forum with some of the fluff and abilities to match.

Unbreakable is kinda similar to a costume element that already exists, which is odd. Atm, they don't stack either. :(
    I assume you're referring to Defiant there. Defiant can't stack with this one as the DR is different and Unbreakable doesn't progress the fortification effect. In all honesty, Unbreakable is only slightly more powerful then what Defiant should be.

So the enemy is embraced, and that lasts until you stop being within 5ft? And if they fail the initial save, that's it?
    You should probably specify what action it takes you use before you get it as iteratives. I presume standard.
    It's a save or suck. However it is a save or suck that will only ever last two rounds at 1st level, progressing up at that rate. It also requires you to get right up in the opponent's face to do so when you first get it - although that gets relaxed a bit.

The distance issue is going to have to be addressed - thanks there - as once you get it at range they can keep you under so long as you're within range of them. And do note, it is stated to be a touch attack. Touch attacks, as attacks, are standard actions.

The Charm effects should specify at will as a standard action. This is also very, very strong.
    Action will be clarified. And it really isn't. An at will 1st level spell at level 9? The skill bonuses are more important.

With Shining Path, what happens if your opponent is 50ft above you? You can't spend your action moving towards them.
    Also, can you move through enemies? Solid objects?
    Weightless or other effect. I may add something to the speed type gain to make you automatically gain speed types necessary to pursue your designated target. We'll see.

Yes and yes. You can walk through a Wall of Force with that effect active. Solid objects ain't gonna stop you.

I don't know the mythic system, so I have very little to say. xD

Do mythic tiers happen INSTEAD of leveling up? if they don't, then there's a problem, since you choose a mythic illumination once, but rework your entire set every level.

Does Light Shines Eternal stack with Font of Life in any way?
    You gain Mythic Tiers by, in essence, doing badass things. Experience points or level has nothing to do with it. And Sera has answered better than I have here. Thanks!

No.
    Show

<struck dumb>

20. - Top - End - #260
    Titan in the Playground

Too bad, not going to happen. If you're like that, you're never going to be able to awaken the ancestral spark inside of you. I understand that you may not like this, but there is absolutely no way I'm changing it.

That is probably going to get fixed.
    I despise alignment locks with every single atom of my body. >_>

Yeah, no. This is mainly fluff, but also due to the fact that it isn't Divine Grace that I'm trying to lock here.
    There's nothing in there powerful enough to warrant it, and it's really an unpleasant mechanic. : /

Just pointing out here, free costume effects was something I took from Aerial Mage on the last page. Every PrC since then has incorporated the effect as it fits and is really flavourful. There's also the fact that you get free motes into these effects so that you can just leave them at class level motes for absolutely no cost.
    I guess it makes more sense when it's a pre-existing costume effect. It just feels odd.

In all honesty, the fearless bit is just gravy. The meat of the class feature is the flat immunity to morale and profane penalties for you and all your allies within 30' of you.
    It feels like a downgrade. The Meaning Of Courage is one of the single most evocative thing in the ToR.

No. It's a spell like ability. They have, by SRD definition, no cost.
    I know. This is often waived.
    It's probably fine.

No offence, I think you need to re-read miracle. XP cost is only for the really powerful effect. The spell-mimic and such effects costs nothing.
    I did re-read it before asking. If you use it for a really powerful effect, do you pay the XP cost?

And in all honesty, Miracle 1/day at level 17 is not broken at all. That's the point where everyone is hitting 9th level spells. Giving a 1/day use via class feature (with far heavier restrictions than a cleric will ever likely have) is quite fair.
    The argument that 'X gets (broken thing), so Y should!' is not really a great one. But, assuming the XP cost remains, it's probably fine due to the including ability for the DM to say nope.

I assume you're referring to Defiant there. Defiant can't stack with this one as the DR is different and Unbreakable doesn't progress the fortification effect. In all honesty, Unbreakable is only slightly more powerful then what Defiant should be.
    It just feels odd to have two abilities that are so similar.

It's a save or suck. However it is a save or suck that will only ever last two rounds at 1st level, progressing up at that rate. It also requires you to get right up in the opponent's face to do so when you first get it - although that gets relaxed a bit.
    ...sorry, I entirely derped on it. I saw the duration was 'concentration' and missed the 'up to'. Prolly fine.

The distance issue is going to have to be addressed - thanks there - as once you get it at range they can keep you under so long as you're within range of them. And do note, it is stated to be a touch attack. Touch attacks, as attacks, are standard actions.
    I know, I just prefer everything to be stated...

Action will be clarified. And it really isn't. An at will 1st level spell at level 9? The skill bonuses are more important.
    It may only be level 1, but you can now charm /everyone you meet/. It's not mechanically a big thing, but this is /massive/.

Weightless or other effect. I may add something to the speed type gain to make you automatically gain speed types necessary to pursue your designated target. We'll see.

Yes and yes. You can walk through a Wall of Force with that effect active. Solid objects ain't gonna stop you.
    Good on both!

You gain Mythic Tiers by, in essence, doing badass things. Experience points or level has nothing to do with it. And Sera has answered better than I have here. Thanks!

No.
    I seeeeee. Interesting.
    This does leave the mythic invocations issue.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Troll in the Playground

I despise alignment locks with every single atom of my body. >_>
    Then I'm sorry, but this class is not for you. If you would note the addition of the Incorruptible class feature, you might understand why. To put it very simple Lix?

Quote Originally Posted by Co-writer
    Children of Light are basically old school magical girls. If you want moral ambiguity, you're looking at the wrong PrC.
    There's nothing in there powerful enough to warrant it, and it's really an unpleasant mechanic. : /
    Again, sorry, too bad. I am not shifting on this.

I guess it makes more sense when it's a pre-existing costume effect. It just feels odd.
    And again, pointing at aerial mage here. That's where all this stuff came from. And I will say again, that all of my PrCs since that class was posted have incorporated this feature.

It feels like a downgrade. The Meaning Of Courage is one of the single most evocative thing in the ToR.
    It may feel like a downgrade, it is, however, an upgrade. You are also seeming to ignore the effects it grants to her allies.

I know. This is often waived.
    It's probably fine.
    If it was waived, I suspect I would say so. Where there is no specifics, general is king.

I did re-read it before asking. If you use it for a really powerful effect, do you pay the XP cost?
    And this is in the class feature so I really don't see why you're keeping on asking. But, to clarify.

Quote Originally Posted by Child of Light
    At level nine, the Child may, once per day, drain their entire mote pool to cast Miracle with a Caster Level of their Evoker Level. Their mote pool remains empty after the use of this ability for one minute. In addition, for the sacrifice of four negative levels, they may request a more powerful miracle without loss of xp. These negative levels cannot be cured by any means other than natural healing at a rate of one negative level per day.
    Bolded for emphasis.

The argument that 'X gets (broken thing), so Y should!' is not really a great one. But, assuming the XP cost remains, it's probably fine due to the including ability for the DM to say nope.
    And, I am sorry, but this betrays a startling misunderstanding of the actual power of the Miracle spell which seems to be rather widespread considering how many people freak out whenever the spell is even mentioned. And that is as far as I am going.

...sorry, I entirely derped on it. I saw the duration was 'concentration' and missed the 'up to'. Prolly fine.
    I see no reason it would not be. And if I do anything else, their main class feature is crap.

I know, I just prefer everything to be stated...
    It is. I am not going to go through all of my classes and clarify the exact action cost when it is already there.

It may only be level 1, but you can now charm /everyone you meet/. It's not mechanically a big thing, but this is /massive/.
    Will saves. They exist. As do Protection from Alignment spells. You're assuming that they'll be able to do this successfully all the time and/or get away with it.

If your DM has any idea what they're doing, an Artist won't.

I seeeeee. Interesting.
    This does leave the mythic invocations issue.
    Not really. Pathfinder has no invocation using class. And if you intend on making mythic invocations, I am going to strongly suggest that you read the ruleset first. It's free on the Pazio site.
    Show

<struck dumb>

22. - Top - End - #262

Light Springs Eternal (Su): There was a time once, long ago, when the raw emotion of those gifted with the power of Light could snuff out stars and topple gods from their pedestals on high. And whilst that time may be long past, a shadow of that power remains in the spiritual descendants of those original Heroes.

At level nine, the Child may, once per day, drain their entire mote pool to cast Miracle with a Caster Level of their Evoker Level. Their mote pool remains empty after the use of this ability for one minute. In addition, for the sacrifice of four negative levels, they may request a more powerful miracle without loss of xp. These negative levels cannot be cured by any means other than natural healing at a rate of one negative level per day and take effect regardless of any immunity to them.

These Miracles are requested from the Light, and are approved only if the Miracle would be for the good of all, not just that of the Child alone. Selfish Miracles are always refused.
    This ability needs a little rewriting. As written, it does not function as appears to be intended.

1) As a supernatural ability, you ignore xp components, period. Thus, the baseline miracle effect can achieve greater effects at no cost.
    Put a hold on that. SLAs say no to xp components, but I can't find the passage that says the same for Sus. I'm still pretty sure it's the case, though.

2) Nothing actually states that the baseline miracle effect cannot be used for a greater miracle, just that there is an option to replace the xp costs with 4 negative levels.

3) Since you accumulate negative levels, talking about "sacrificing" negative levels would mean losing them. To use that option, you would have to have some negative levels in the first place, and then this ability would remove them.

4) The 4 negative levels can't be removed except 1/day, but nothing appears to prevent the normal level loss clause of negative levels every 24 hours. Over the course of the 4 days, there is the potential to lose 10 character levels!

I would suggest the following wording instead to clear up any confusion.

At level nine, the Child may, once per day, drain their entire mote pool to cast Miracle with a Caster Level of their Evoker Level. Their mote pool remains empty after the use of this ability for one minute. The Child must still provide any material, focus, or experience components of the Miracle, and the Miracle cannot be a very powerful request.

In addition, by voluntarily gaining four negative levels, the Child may request a more powerful miracle. In such a case, the Miracle does not cost the usual additional 5000 xp. These negative levels cannot be cured by any means and take effect regardless of any immunity to them. Only one of these negative levels is removed every 24 hours, but they never cause permanent level loss.
    A Guide to Free D&D - A resource of free, official D&D resources on the web.
    Handbooks Index
    My Homebrew Compendium

23. - Top - End - #263
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Garryl View Post
    This ability needs a little rewriting. As written, it does not function as appears to be intended.

1) As a supernatural ability, you ignore xp components, period. Thus, the baseline miracle effect can achieve greater effects at no cost.
    Put a hold on that. SLAs say no to xp components, but I can't find the passage that says the same for Sus. I'm still pretty sure it's the case, though.

2) Nothing actually states that the baseline miracle effect cannot be used for a greater miracle, just that there is an option to replace the xp costs with 4 negative levels.

3) Since you accumulate negative levels, talking about "sacrificing" negative levels would mean losing them. To use that option, you would have to have some negative levels in the first place, and then this ability would remove them.

4) The 4 negative levels can't be removed except 1/day, but nothing appears to prevent the normal level loss clause of negative levels every 24 hours. Over the course of the 4 days, there is the potential to lose 10 character levels!

I would suggest the following wording instead to clear up any confusion.
    Ah, fair points. As far as I'm aware, Su abilities cost XP and suchlike - it's one of their weaknesses compared to SLAs.

I will put that wording in though, as it's a lot better than mine. Many thanks.
    Show

<struck dumb>

24. - Top - End - #264
    Ettin in the Playground

Supernatural abilities, by default, cost nothing more than the action to activate them (and whatever daily uses they might have, but usually they are at-will or have a recharge time). There is no inherent disadvantage to (Su) compared to (Sl), and (Su) is in fact objectively better than (Sl) whenever their effects match.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

25. - Top - End - #265
    Titan in the Playground

Then I'm sorry, but this class is not for you. If you would note the addition of the Incorruptible class feature, you might understand why. To put it very simple Lix?

Again, sorry, too bad. I am not shifting on this.
    The class loses nothing by catering for additional character options. What's more, by doing this, you close off a whole swathe of them. But you're not gonna agree.
    As written, Incorruptible and Heritage Bound combine to say 'you can't progress in anything ever.'

And again, pointing at aerial mage here. That's where all this stuff came from. And I will say again, that all of my PrCs since that class was posted have incorporated this feature.
    It felt kinda odd to me then as well.

It may feel like a downgrade, it is, however, an upgrade. You are also seeming to ignore the effects it grants to her allies.
    Mechanically yes, but it gets rid of an absolutely beautiful piece of fluff.

If it was waived, I suspect I would say so. Where there is no specifics, general is king.
    When general can be broken, I like to be sure.

And this is in the class feature so I really don't see why you're keeping on asking. But, to clarify.
    Aaaah. When I read that, I thought it meant a stronger miracle than the spell normally gives at all.

And, I am sorry, but this betrays a startling misunderstanding of the actual power of the Miracle spell which seems to be rather widespread considering how many people freak out whenever the spell is even mentioned. And that is as far as I am going.
    It's the divine version of wish, essentially. The deity needing to grant it makes it much better.

I see no reason it would not be. And if I do anything else, their main class feature is crap.
    As I said, probably fine. If you're taking 'probably' to be bad, then I should say I dislike giving 100% yes or no to things.

Will saves. They exist. As do Protection from Alignment spells. You're assuming that they'll be able to do this successfully all the time and/or get away with it.

If your DM has any idea what they're doing, an Artist won't.
    They won't get major characters, but they'll likely get all of the minor characters. Why would citizen 24 have protection from alignment? Or a good will save?
    This feature can get you /massive/ groups of allies.
    O'course, it's not a dominate spell, so it shouldn't cause too much trouble.

Not really. Pathfinder has no invocation using class. And if you intend on making mythic invocations, I am going to strongly suggest that you read the ruleset first. It's free on the Pazio site.
    Whoops typo. I meant Illuminations, as per the problem I said on the first post.

26. - Top - End - #266
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Draken View Post
    Supernatural abilities, by default, cost nothing more than the action to activate them (and whatever daily uses they might have, but usually they are at-will or have a recharge time). There is no inherent disadvantage to (Su) compared to (Sl), and (Su) is in fact objectively better than (Sl) whenever their effects match.
    Ah, my bad. Thanks.

The class loses nothing by catering for additional character options. What's more, by doing this, you close off a whole swathe of them. But you're not gonna agree.
    As written, Incorruptible and Heritage Bound combine to say 'you can't progress in anything ever.'
    Actually it loses everything if it allows you to be evil. You're probably never going to agree with me there, but I am going to suggest you look at the really old magical girl series and then come back and look at this again. Probably won't change your mind due to you have an irrational hatred of alignment restriction, but there's nothing I can do there. Your closing comment also betrays an utter lack of understanding in regards to how fluff is meant to interact with mechanics and how the mechanics themselves actually limit you.

Look at Sailor Moon or MG shows of that era. Look at the protagonists. This is not a 'everything is grey' post-modernist class. This is an old school, "black is black, white is white and never the twain shall meet" class. And before you ask, I am not going to ever make a blackguard type class in counterpart to this one. And I have a real sorry suspicion that if I did, you wouldn't even quibble over an evil alignment restriction there.

And I am not continuing this conversation further because there is absolutely zero way I am going to compromise the fluff that makes this class what it is. And you're never going to accept any explanation I give. So there's no point in trying

It's the divine version of wish, essentially. The deity needing to grant it makes it much better.
    And again, no. You're not getting it. Another of those conversations that we'll never be able to resolve. So no point either

They won't get major characters, but they'll likely get all of the minor characters. Why would citizen 24 have protection from alignment? Or a good will save?
    This feature can get you /massive/ groups of allies.
    O'course, it's not a dominate spell, so it shouldn't cause too much trouble.
    Wrong. You'll get utter faceless NPCs. Minor characters will likely have either some form of protection or reasonable will saves. This is somewhat based off of my own gaming and DMing experience - all of which exist with the premise that NPCs are not all level 1s. And a good number will have a PC class levels.

And even if that's not the case, massive groups of really weak allies are basically useless, especially as they'll just run if you ask them to do something suicidal. Friends will only do so much.

Whoops typo. I meant Illuminations, as per the problem I said on the first post.
    Not really an issue. You choose an Illumination. If you re-work that Illumination so that it not longer exists, you choose a different one. Pretty simple.
    Show

<struck dumb>

27. - Top - End - #267
    Titan in the Playground

Not really an issue. You choose an Illumination. If you re-work that Illumination so that it not longer exists, you choose a different one. Pretty simple.
    That should probably be stated. As written, I think you'd just lose it.

28. - Top - End - #268

What's with the Heritage Bound no multiclassing thing? You make reference to the Sublime Chord, but the SC has no such limitation. The closest thing I can think of to that is the various Taint PrCs forcing you to make a Will save every level or take another level of the class.

I just don't see the logic behind forcing you to take either 0 or 10 levels. It's at odds with the basic system of multiclassing in character design. This class isn't filled with heavily frontloaded features that wouldn't make sense to split across the full 10 levels. What's the reasoning behind it? From the mechanical side, not the fluff side, that is. (Fluff-wise, I think the justification you've given makes it seems like an evil thing, not a good one. Asking someone to surrender their freedom of choice is a concept absolutely opposed to goodness.)

Interestingly, as it is a class feature, there are several ways to bypass Heritage Bound. Off the top of my head...
    - Commit an evil act, thus permanently losing your class features through Incorruptible (never said it was a useful way).
    - Level up while under the effects of Baleful Polymorph.
    - Use retraining/Psychic Reformation to trade away your Ancestral Radiant feat, thus losing the ability to qualify for the class (and thus your class features, as per Complete Warrior). Retrain/Psy Ref it back once you're done leveling up.

Ancestral Seal (Staff) is confusing in its interactions with illuminations. The rules about how that would work boggle my mind. I'm pretty sure you only repick your illuminations when leveling up. With such a variable evoker level, it's quite possible to have illuminations that you can't use without your device, or inability to use your illuminations to their fullest with your device. Or maybe it's letting you repick some or all of your illuminations every time you let go of or hold your device. I'm not really sure, and there are probably several other possibilities I haven't thought of. The evoker rules don't seem to be designed for this kind of frequent raising and lowering of effective level.

... Plus there's also the issue that this looks like a 5/10 progression class, but is actually 10/10. That's just confusing.

I'm getting a really scary "for the Greater Good" kind of vibe from some of the Child of Light's class features. Is it just me?

Edit: Gurk! Major fail on my part. I meant to say that the class wasn't filled with frontloaded class features, not that it was.
    Last edited by Garryl; 2013-02-17 at 10:18 PM.
    A Guide to Free D&D - A resource of free, official D&D resources on the web.
    Handbooks Index
    My Homebrew Compendium

29. - Top - End - #269
    Troll in the Playground

What's with the Heritage Bound no multiclassing thing? You make reference to the Sublime Chord, but the SC has no such limitation. The closest thing I can think of to that is the various Taint PrCs forcing you to make a Will save every level or take another level of the class.
    There, my apologies, I'm using a non-core version of SC. My reasons however are in the spoiler text of the class.

I just don't see the logic behind forcing you to take either 0 or 10 levels. It's at odds with the basic system of multiclassing in character design. This class is filled with heavily frontloaded features that wouldn't make sense to split across the full 10 levels. What's the reasoning behind it? From the mechanical side, not the fluff side, that is. (Fluff-wise, I think the justification you've given makes it seems like an evil thing, not a good one. Asking someone to surrender their freedom of choice is a concept absolutely opposed to goodness.)
    I will admit, the main reason for the restriction of the class is a fluff one similar to that of the Paladin. In regards to the basic system of multiclassing, as this is primarily a fluff issue, I'm not budging. And as to fluff, I'm going to again point at the older MG series.

As to freedom of choice thing, I am going to point out something here.

Freedom of choice in D&D isn't a moral but ethical concept. To say nothing of the fact that this has nothing to do with choice. Children of Light are Children of Light because it is who they are. It's no more something forced on them than it is 'forced' on them to be a specific race or to be a living creature. It's literally their state of being. The class represents unlocking and tapping into the potential of a primordial shard of light that their soul, being that of a reincarnated Hero of Light, has carried since the beginning of time.

Once they make the choice to reach for that past glory once more, they can't turn away from that choice because this primal light flows within them, growing and expanding inevitably. It's not a choice, but to describe it as a curse or in a negative light presents not only a deep misunderstanding of the themes at play (Not everything is a post-modernist deconstruction, yo) but a disingenuous interpretation of what is, in the end, literally personal growth.

This isn't Warhammer 40K. This is old school magical girls where the protagonists are good, pure and innocent. Seriously, what's up with searching for moral ambiguity where there is none? Are you the type who absolutely crave moral ambiguity in your Paladins too? Because that would explain a lot.

Interestingly, as it is a class feature, there are several ways to bypass Heritage Bound. Off the top of my head...
    - Commit an evil act, thus permanently losing your class features through Incorruptible (never said it was a useful way).
    - Level up while under the effects of Baleful Polymorph.
    - Use retraining/Psychic Reformation to trade away your Ancestral Radiant feat, thus losing the ability to qualify for the class (and thus your class features, as per Complete Warrior). Retrain/Psy Ref it back once you're done leveling up.
    All but the first of which are cheeseing to a wholly irresponsible degree, and hence any sensible DM would/should disallow. Personal opinion here mind. But yes, the first is the main route. But, please, consider what this PrC is meant to exemplify.

Ancestral Seal (Staff) is confusing in its interactions with illuminations. The rules about how that would work boggle my mind. I'm pretty sure you only repick your illuminations when leveling up. With such a variable evoker level, it's quite possible to have illuminations that you can't use without your device, or inability to use your illuminations to their fullest with your device. Or maybe it's letting you repick some or all of your illuminations every time you let go of or hold your device. I'm not really sure, and there are probably several other possibilities I haven't thought of. The evoker rules don't seem to be designed for this kind of frequent raising and lowering of effective level.
    You only repick when levelling up. This is a manifestation of the old school MG who absolutely had to have her trinket to fire up her Illuminations. I will, however, probably clarify this at some point.

I'm getting a really scary "for the Greater Good" kind of vibe from some of the Child of Light's class features. Is it just me?
    And I am going to advise you to go and watch either some Sailor Moon or Cardcaptor Sakura. Because those are the show protagonists that I made this class to emulate.
    Last edited by Snowfire; 2013-02-17 at 08:33 PM.
    Show

<struck dumb>

30. - Top - End - #270

What people seem to misunderstand about Child of Light is that it's meant to emulate a very specific and deliberately idealistic vision of the magical girl genre. This is a young child's vision of the genre.

Genre emulation is the primary design principle here, not satisfying those who prefer to multiclass a lot or those who prefer questionable morals in their characters. If that's what you want, there's much better PrCs for that which were designed with those kind of notions in mind.
    Last edited by Danakir; 2013-02-17 at 08:40 PM.
    "Dictators free themselves but they enslave the people." - Charlie Chaplin

Spoiler
    Show
    Tohsaka Rin by Elder Tsofu