New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Sin of Pride - Black Crusade

Even as the Malgrysian considers his response a distant krak echoes down the cramped maintenance corridor. The noise of the explosion is distant and a set of mechandrites whirls and flaps.

The magos looks to his fellow heretek and the lithe female before giving a curt nod. "An alliance would be best fir all concerned. Are you aware of a rapid route out of this immediate area?"
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

2. - Top - End - #152
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Salome nodded. "I suggest we head that way," she pointed in the direction the group had come, "and do it now. Gregor, keep your eye on our back and let's hustle a bit. You too, Sid, dear."
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."

Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

3. - Top - End - #153
    Titan in the Playground

The magos nods as the group begins to retrace its route. A thought spurred on by a faint explosion and then a crashing sound as a metal grate is hurled aside...

Spoiler
    Show

Are you running back the way you came at a double time?

4. - Top - End - #154
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

<Increase the energy to your motivativators, we must flee! The Corpse god's flunkies draw near!> Gregor says as he breaks into a run.

Spoiler
    Show
    My vote is for an expedient advance towards the rear!

5. - Top - End - #155
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Salome smiled, the delicious chill of excitement and fear running down her back. "Agreed, dear Gregor! Let us make haste, least we reveal ourselves completely to these fools!"

Spoiler
    Show
    I choose life ... let's run! 5m standard move, so try to keep up, boys!

6. - Top - End - #156
    Titan in the Playground

Like an agile ghost Salome leads the retreat, her feet quiet and lithe in the narrow conduits even as the heavier mechanoids clumped along side. For an hour the retreat wound deeper and deepr into the bowels of the ship. Past long dead power lines, bulkheads rusted shut and areas in the bowels of the ship where dust and stale air have gathered for decades.

The new heretek says nothing. Bionic optics recording everything and an autoscriber scratching slowly the route lest something befall his new found friends...

Eventually amidst the ruined cargo holds and the dimmed lights where power line falter and fail the flight can be slowly halted. The faint chitter of bilge lizards or possibly something more vile the only sounds to be heard above the faint echo of choiral tones.

The heretek looks about with a suspicious demeanour. Section 77 epsilon. Sub deck 28 forward. 289 years since power fully active. Sanctuary 67% favourable. Query - what seek you?

7. - Top - End - #157
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Salome smirked at the heretek's assessment of the safety of this area. "The real question is ... what do you seek? We know that you are searching for precious baubles, but in casting about with your stick you've gone and disturbed the wasps' nest. Now we are all at risk, when if you had simply been a little more patient, you might have what you wanted as we speak.

Let's forget that your actions, as well as those of the xenos, have placed an inordinate amount of attention on all ... unsanctioned activities on-board this ship. To mend those fences, perhaps you'd like to share what you seek ... and what you plan to do with it."

8. - Top - End - #158
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Gregor stays at the heretek's back, watching for any signs of aggressive action.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Titan in the Playground

The heretek watches you through his bionic eyes with a suspicious air. His cybernetics gleaming darkly. "A geller tainter. It twists the Geller field allowing the raw warp within around the site of the machine. Dark Technology from the Golden Age. The Lord Inquisitor shall test his faith sorely the next time this vessel dares go to warp."

The heretek shuffles around. "My fellow adepts on the surface below were concerned about this occurring and prepared accordingly. Even as we are destroyed so shall our destroyers fall."

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Gregor shifts his weight slightly uncomfortably at this information, resisting the urge to simply torture the location out of the heretek until more subtle methods are applied.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Titan in the Playground

The heretek's metallic visages tweaks into something akin to a sneer. "Do not flinch brother. It is a most wondrous piece of the Omnisah's mind. A twisting circuit that allows the manipulation of the very fabric of space and time."

He looks around the dimly lit and corroding underdeck chamber. "The demons of the warp will roam here soon. The decks will be awash with blood and this vessel will tear a path directly to the Eye of Terror itself."

12. - Top - End - #162
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Salome shivered slightly, her nipples hardening beneath the skin-tight outfit. "Ooooh, when you say it like that I get all goose-pimply!

Now, are you saying you've already found and planted the tainter? Or is it an object within the Inquisitor's vaults that you still seek?

And how do we coordinate with your conspirators on the ground? What roll are they playing in this macabre little dance you're planning, you naughty monkey?"

13. - Top - End - #163
    Titan in the Playground

The heretek looks at the women with a blank stare in his mechanically enhanced optics. A mechandrite hanging from beneath his cape twitching slightly in response possibly to a long deadened yet primal biological response.

The concise and clipped vox tones "The field inversion device is already in place and will be activated the next time this vessel enters the immaterium."

He looks at the floor - an instinct even as the vessel is surely spinning around its Z-axis in orbit. "I have no contact with my fellow Malgrysians. I was merely placed here with my fellows as surety."

14. - Top - End - #164
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Salome nodded, tapping her chin thoughtfuly. "Well, there is something to be said about a trip into the warp ... but before we continue, what do you know about the Inquisitor's vault?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Curious, are we talking about a situation where we will just go into the warp, or we're all gonna die? Cuz one of those is NOT a good time!

15. - Top - End - #165
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

<As your fellows have been removed from the playing field and no longer able to maintain or protect it, where is the device?> Gregor inquires, still unused to this particular means of information gathering.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Titan in the Playground

The heretek looks at his fellow and unleashes a short stream of binary at Gregor. 1101010100010010010010001000101111101001...

Spoiler
    Show
    he gives you the location and the security code for the safety failsafe

Switching to more traditional speech he glances at both of them. "The geller collapse would be localised. The effects would spread. As for the vault. We are aware of certain things of value within there. Many tomes of dark rituals."

17. - Top - End - #167
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Salome's eyes flashed at the mention of dark rituals. "Tomes, you say? Rituals? Perhaps you could elaborate, my dearest Tin Man. What information have you and your companions managed to find out about dear Theocles' secret files?

And speaking of companions, who of your allies remain aboard? Are there others who know of the gellar field sabotage? Who else might we treat as possible partners in our future efforts?"

18. - Top - End - #168
    Titan in the Playground

The hereteks slowly writhing mechandrites regard the apostate carefully. A pause as the mechanoid man considers his requests. "The Nature of the rituals is unkown to us. In its recovery 8 planets of the Nekhar V system were subjected to exterminatus and Theocles has destroyed 3 specific planets in widely separated systems. We have not been able to identify common link between them.

The heretek swings his gaze about. "I do not known how many of my brothers survive. What is your next plan of action? I require a location to conceal myself."

19. - Top - End - #169
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Salome smiled widely. "Why mayhem and chaos, of course! As for a place for you to hide, I think we might be aware of such a location. Of course, you may have to earn your keep ... perhaps by performing some alteration work with the locals. What say you?"

She also looked to her companions, curious as to whether they wanted to kill this creature, or bring it back to Razor ...

20. - Top - End - #170
    Titan in the Playground

Glancing about the adepts the heretek twitches slightly. "I can offer services or goods from the dark age of Man in exchange for surety of my safety."

21. - Top - End - #171
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Salome nodded, her eyes lighting up as a wicked smile crept over her beautiful face. "That would be lovely, my dear. Gregor, do you have any additional questions for our new guest?"

Goods or services from the Dark Age? This could turn out better than she thought!

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

<Nothing at present m'lady. Perhaps later.> Gregor replies.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Titan in the Playground

The heretek nods in acceptance of the offer. "Where is this place of safety. The longer we spend here the increasing chances of the Emperor's benighted sons finding us."

As he levitates above the ground slightly, servos thrumming internally in his body, he pauses, a series of lights flickering on his head gear. "My companions on the planet below report they are under assault and have requested fire support. Or escape."

24. - Top - End - #174
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Salome sighed and glanced back at the heretek. "What, pray-tell, do they think we might be able to provide them by way of support? Unless you or Gregor have the means to access and coopt one of the transports on board this vessel?" She looked at both men, curious about the possibilities.

"Otherwise, my only suggestion would be to see what we can provide by way of an 'inadvertant' firing of one of the munitions available to the Sin of Pride. That may provide enough of a distraction to enable their escape - but will undoubtedly result in immediate and ruthless reprisals. Since yours are not the only machinations in play aboard this vessel, I am uncertain I am willing to jeopardize our current efforts for such a gambit ... at least not yet, and not without some convincing." She smiled that evily seductive smile, then led the way towards the underground market, hips swaying in an unconscious attempt to attract attention.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

<We may be able to have a shipboard occurrence disguised as a result of the crew's incompetence or the actions of a remnant of the genestealer cult. While it pains me to surrender such valuable research materials, a few small pieces of carapace and errant drops of ichor as if the creature nicked itself may confuse and mislead any investigation into the occurrence, similar to how we disguised our prior information gathering efforts.> Gregor points out after analyzing the situation.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Salome clapped her hands in girlish excitement, jiggling in all the right places. "What a delicious idea, my dear Gregor. Let's make haste and stage your wonderful tableau to distract and confuse our enemies. Then, while they are mucking about in the underbelly of this ship, we shall find our ways up to see what can be done to support our new friends comrades."

Looking to the heretek, she smiled, a look that seemed to promise both pleasuere and pain in one exciting expression, she leaned closely. "We shall provide you shelter from the coming storm, my dear. But let us see what you have to offer in exchange for our services ... services from the dark age of Man, I believe you said?"

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Gregor's attention focuses upon their newest recruit waiting to see how he can aid their efforts. "At the very least I could perhaps use another assistant, or test subject..." He trails off, finger tines clicking.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Titan in the Playground

3 Months ago...

It had been a worrying time on the ship. The purges had come close numerous times to catching you and your fellows and only luck of the great powers had kept you safe on one occasion as you sheltered in the filth laden waste recycling pipes as one of the Emperor's most trusted Astartes paced hunting for you.

It had been a combination of Salome's persuasion and Gregor's technical skills that had allowed them access to the drop bay. A fire cuased y faulty wiring accidentally releasing a trio of drop pods - one containing the dark acolytes.

Since the landing on the 3rd moon of the forge planet you had made your way to the small station hidden amongst the floating cloud of metal waste from the space docks. A collection of hab tubes, rock and wreckage welded together where the hated and the outcast from the forge could shelter hidden from the prying eyes of the Imperium. THeir supplies provided bya few less than honourable smugglers the station had now burrowed into the rock and was now a thriving - if violent, corrupt and dangerous colony of some 3'000 dammned souls!

----------------------------------------------------------

As you enter the cave cut into the side of the habitat’s main chamber, a spite-engine uncoils from the ceiling and looks you over with five beady eyes. It hisses at you, oily ichor dripping from its iron mandibles. The hulking mutant bodyguard just grunts. “You know rule,” he gurgles, his words distorted by the huge tusks protruding from his lower jaw. “No guns. Blades good.” Beyond the entrance, the drinking room is dimly illuminated by the flickering green-tinged light of several braziers of bale-fire. In the shadows of the ceiling, you can just make out the constant writhing of a dozen spite-engines coiling around each other. The patrons tend towards the shadows and all seem to ignore you.

The bartender is so heavily augmented that you cannot see a scrap of flesh underneath his robes. A third augmetic hand pours your drinks from steel flasks. Just as you prepare to take a seat, an old man seated at one of the card tables gestures your way. The man is playing with a mutant, who appears to be a mass of writhing tentacles, and a gaunt woman covered in bandages. Neither appear to be doing well. As you approach, the old man says, “You look like one with valuables to lose.” He gestures at the pile of adamantium ingots in the pot and the even larger pile of goods—a bundle of skin deeds and glowing purple vials—he has to wager. Then, he motions for you to take a seat and says, “Come join me.”

Spoiler
    Show

You can all get +800 XP

You can all choose to add 3 items of scarce (-10) availability to your inventory

Gambling on Belphagion
    One of the more popular games in Belphagion is a card-based game called Spiked Circle. The game is relatively common amongst some of the more populous Gloaming Worlds (with several variations), and the GM should feel free to allow any of his players’ Characters to be familiar with the rules. Its origins are ancient, but unclear. The game depends upon bluffing and showmanship as much as it depends upon luck and strategy. Each hand begins with several rounds of wagering, followed by a final show of cards for those who remained in the game.

For game mechanics purposes, this works as follows: There are three rounds of wagering during each hand of Spiked Circle. In each round, any participating players may make an Opposed Difficult (–10) Deceive vs Scrutiny Test against their opponents. Each Degree of Success on any of these tests adds a +5 bonus to a final Challenging (+0) Opposed Logic Test to represent the gambling in the hand.

If more than one of the Heretics is cooperatively participating in the game, a character may choose to pass the bonus they earn on a Deceive Test to one of the other players for his Logic test. During any round of bluffing, the characters may instead choose to make an Opposed Difficult (–10) Sleight of Hand vs Awareness Test. Each Degree of Success on this test yields a +40 bonus to the final Logic Test. However, on failure, the Heretic is caught cheating.

What ends up being bet (and how much is bet in a single hand) is a matter of roleplaying, and thus is up to the GM and the players. However, in general each wager should be items with matching Availabilities. If one person wagered a data-slate, another could wager a lasgun (both Common), but a knife (Plentiful) would not be an equivalent bet. The individual would have to wager a Significant amount of knives (5-10) to equal the bet. Page 306 in the Black Crusade Core Rulebook covers Availabilities and various modifiers in more detail. Beyond general items and gear, however, there are plenty of stranger items of value that are up for bid in this game of chance. The following is a list of some of the valuables the various players have at their disposal (how many each player
    has available is up to the GM).
    • Adamantium ingot: These small bars of metal are valued for construction in many weapons of war and are relatively
    rare in the Screaming Vortex. Each ingot has a Plentiful Availability, so they are usually wagered in sizeable quantities.
    • Skin deeds: Tattooed onto human skin, these deeds record favours owed by the sorcerer-technocrats of Q’sal’s three
    cities. The sorcerer-technocrats care little for who holds the deed when they are redeemed. Each skin deed has an
    Availability of Scarce. When making an Infamy Test to acquire an item from Q’sal, the skin deed can be redeemed for
    a one-time +10 bonus to the Infamy Test.
    • Vials of essence: Within these tiny crystal vials is a viscous and luminous purple liquid said to be a distilled portion
    of a human soul. Drinking it produces feelings of extreme euphoria and pleasure, although this has no discernible
    in-game effects. Each vial has a Very Rare Availability.
    • Blasphemous icons and statuettes: This category covers any number of icons and statuettes depicting the Dark
    Gods and their symbols, used in prayer and worship. Depending on the materials involved in their craftsmanship,
    their Availability can range from Abundant to Extremely Rare (decided by the GM).
    • Slaves: Like the previous category, slaves may range in Availability due to their uses.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

"Hmmmm... it has been awhile since I last played a game of chance such as this one. This should be... refreshing." Gregor says, as he settles his frame into the seat, keenly aware of his missing integrated weapons.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Salome walked through the darkened corridors with the confidence of a predator among prey. She ignored the shadows, which seemed to flicker with envy, as the Trembling Hand of the Dark Prince slinked past. Immediately following her was a hulking monstrosity of a once-human - her servant, Bral. Next to her minion walked her co-conspirator, Gregor.

The last three months had been tense, living under the powersword of Lord Damocles the entire time. At any moment, they could have been discovered; widespread purges, power struggles amidst the denizens of the lower levels, even remnants of the xenos and heretek forces. It was positively delicious!

As it was, Salome and Gregor were more than a match for those that crossed their paths, and they carved a swath of death, destruction and deceipt all the way to a transport off the Sin of Pride.

As they approached the cave, a spite-engine and mutant bodyguard stopped them, demanding firearms and similar weapons. She laughed ... a tinkling, arousing series of giggles that brought to question her sanity. Glancing at Gregor, she handed over her las pistol and long las. "How positively hilarious, my dear Gregor! It thinks these toys make us dangerous. Absolutely refreshing to see such naiveté programmed into these mindless minions!"

Salome turned and walked through the doors, signalling Bral to follow her as she stepped in, heading towards the bar. Once there, she smiled. "Two promethium bombs, good sir, and feel free to make them full strength!" If Gregor wondered why the apostate would order such a low-grade beverage, he would quickly remember her fascination with 'experiences' and such.

Once they got their drinks, a man motioned them over, eager to part them from their hard-earned loot. Clapping her hands, she quickly sat down. "Oh, goody! A game of chance and luck ... how can we not play, right Gregor? I am not very lucky, but you certainly are!"

Spoiler
    Show
    A few things - one, did we get any infamy from our previous activities? Two, is scarce the maximum rarity, or is -10 the maximum availability mod for an auto-succeed? Third, if it's just the max availability, how much Rose could Salome get? Looks like enough for a company!

As for the game, I suggest Salome makes the Deceipt checks and gives the bonus to Gregor (whom I'm guessing has a pretty darn good Logic skill).

Game on!