Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Let's vote up another Burning Wheel Character!

Yeah, I forgot about that. Definitely open Shield Training.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Troll in the Playground

Okay, votes are tallied! And here's the loadout so far! Wow...just...wow. Orc Caesar, indeed!

92 years old

G7 Will, B6 Perception, G6 Forte, B5 Power, B5 Speed, B4 Agility

Skills
    Armor Training, Shield Training, Mounted Combat Training (no ranks, just training skills)

G8 Command
    G6 Oratory
    G6 Intimidation
    ??+3 Brutal Intimidation (rooted in Hatred)

G6 Riding
    G5 Great Wolf Husbandry
    B8 Strategy

B3 Brawling
    B7 Spears

B5 Name Ritual
    B7 Clan-wise
    B3 Rumor-wise

Next, we come up to Traits! These are the little quirks and defining facets of a character. They're sorta like D&D feats, but some of them have rules effects and all of them can earn you "bennies" if you play them up to your disadvantage.

We get a number of traits from just being an orc, and each lifepath gives us a bunch of possible traits; the first one must be purchased.

Racial Traits
    Cannibal, Cold Black Blood (susceptible to the sun), Breeder, Fanged and Clawed (orcs get natural weapons), Loathsome and Twisted (the racial archetype, effectively), Lynx-Eyed (glowy red eyes + darkvision), Vile Language (their special Black Speech)

Required Lifepath Traits
    Born to Rule Them All, Life is Death, Silent Hatred, Intense Hatred, Savage Consequences, Brooding, Flights of Murderous Fancy

Spare trait points: 4

Remaining lifepath traits...
    Enemy of the Sun: negates orc weakness to the sun
    Sprinter: increases a character's "stride" (they can maneuver in combat easier)
    Low Cunning: gives you a bonus when you take an action to betray a superior
    Unrelenting Hatred: just a "character trait"

So here's the deal; we have enough points to sink into a random "Die Trait", which is a trait that has a concrete rules effect. Alternately, we could pick up some of those lifepath traits; because they come in our lifepaths, they're buyable for the bargain price of one point each! (Most of the "Die Traits" cost 3-5 points.)

Instead of the Die Trait, we could buy a "Call-On" trait (Low Cunning is actually one such), which lets you reroll a test once per day under certain circumstances, or else break ties all day under those circumstances.

Or, we could sink points into random 1-point Character Traits, which exist for flavor and to be invoked against your character (such as if our orc's Silent Hatred compels them to a devastating course of action).

Which of those four options (Die Trait, Call-On, Lifepath traits, Character traits) sounds the best? (If we have spare trait points, we'll grab some Character traits anyhow; vote for them if you want to exclusively focus on picking them up.)
    Ludicrus Gaming | My Steam Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

We can't pick specific Die Traits? Because this character is absolutely Lucky, considering how many times she dodged the Die of Fate.
    Quote Originally Posted by GungHo, on Battletech
    The Atlas is also goofy but it has that whole "Stay Puft Marshmallow Man" menacing smile thing going for it. The guy who drew that one up was obviously taken to the Nutcracker when he was a child... and he was screaming in terror the entire time.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Enterti, Cogidubnus
    Glyphstone, out of all the playground I think you scare me the most...
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombimode
    Glyphstone, you are an evil person :D

4. - Top - End - #274
    Barbarian in the Playground

I'll go with Die Trait, though if we were deciding on a specific trait I would once again have to agree with Glyphstone.
    A gracious thanks to Bradakhan for the avatar, and Time Walk's card artist, Amy Weber.

0 There was first nothingness. But nothingness roiled with possibility, as existence cannot be held by one fact, not even the empty fact.

Last edited by Sodalite : Today at 12:00 AM.

5. - Top - End - #275
    Orc in the Playground

I think one point should be spent on Enemy of the Sun. Because this warchief is far too badass to let her prey get away just because dawn is breaking. Also its a good reason for her to be off on her own occasionally instead of always being surrounded by an Orcish horde.

"You, weaklings just cower from the light in your tents. I'll hunt down these fools by myself."

6. - Top - End - #276

Definitely get Enemy of the Sun.

Low Cunning is kinda useless, because we're a freaking Great One III...what 'superiors' do we have? You can't even be a Great One IV (or else we would be ).

Sprint is...meh. And while Moar Hatred would be cool, I'd rather be Lucky if we can.
    The Atlas is also goofy but it has that whole "Stay Puft Marshmallow Man" menacing smile thing going for it. The guy who drew that one up was obviously taken to the Nutcracker when he was a child... and he was screaming in terror the entire time.
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #277
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

I like the Character Traits, personally. If I understand this correctly, then we could make her Impulsive as well as incredibly Lucky. It would explain the mess of terrible marriages floating around as an idea for her backstory.
    Originally Posted by Xefas:
    "I need the Goblins in phalanx arrangement. Sky Blotters in the back! Swissles? Assume the Swizzle Stick Formation! We're going in!"
    What Pokemon am I?
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #278
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    We can't pick specific Die Traits? Because this character is absolutely Lucky, considering how many times she dodged the Die of Fate.
    Two-stage process, was my thinking, although people can feel free to suggest stuff. (I just want to keep it simple for those who haven't got the book. Way I'm thinking, it's easier to figure out what traits they want, then give them a list, than to give them a bunch of traits and have them slot them together in various ways.)
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

9. - Top - End - #279
    Troll in the Playground

Enemy of the Sun + Die Trait
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Troll in the Playground

If I was doing it I'd go for 3 lifepath traits and 1 character trait, lets call it Paranoid.
    Attempting to say controversial things that everyone will agree with.

11. - Top - End - #281
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    I am intrigued by your ideas and wish to subscribe to your newsletter bandwagon.
    Star Metallurgist of the Roy Fanclub

Who made my awesome Dwarf Hexblade avatar, you ask? BRC did!
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #282

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeGuitarrem View Post
    Two-stage process, was my thinking, although people can feel free to suggest stuff. (I just want to keep it simple for those who haven't got the book. Way I'm thinking, it's easier to figure out what traits they want, then give them a list, than to give them a bunch of traits and have them slot them together in various ways.)
    Okay. In that case, Enemy Of The Sun + Die Trait.
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #283
    Bugbear in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    bandwagon'd

ARgh I've become one of...of.... Them
    Schrödinger cat? Schrödinger wizard? Schrödinger monk?
    What's next? Schrödinger equation? HΨ=EΨ? Seriously WTF?

The best summary of this board I've seen so far:
    Quote Originally Posted by Frigs View Post
    Giantitp: The only place you can turn a discussion on D&D Economics into an argument about toxic potatoes.

14. - Top - End - #284
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fenix_of_Doom View Post
    bandwagon'd
    Yup. Save the Panzer!

15. - Top - End - #285

Enemy of the Sun
    Sprinter (to get more stride and therefore better positioning with our Spear)

rest: Charakter traits (may change if i have a look at the book for cool traits. There is the one where you can spit poison...)
    Quote Originally Posted by kyoryu View Post
    I swear, about 50% of what makes BW awesome is the little stuff like that that's applicable to just about any system.

16. - Top - End - #286
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Siegel View Post
    Enemy of the Sun
    Sprinter (to get more stride and therefore better positioning with our Spear)

rest: Charakter traits (may change if i have a look at the book for cool traits. There is the one where you can spit poison...)
    Bandwagoned.
    Fudge Assistant in the Playground.

17. - Top - End - #287
    Troll in the Playground

Our orc don't fear no puny sun! That's one clear trend for sure. It also looks as though the "Strider" bandwagon didn't beat out the "Some die trait" bandwagon...so...

Time to vote on a die trait! Unfortunately, Glyph, "Lucky" is a human-only dealie.

(Side snerk. I love this part of the "Lucky" trait. "Lastly, if the player makes a random in-game guess, via roleplay, the guess is always right--so long as the player isn't aware the guess is right.")

At any rate, I've grabbed a sampling of Die Traits from the book that can be bought for 3 points. If any of you who own Burning Wheel want to call out another, go for it!

Black Bile Poison: as mentioned before, your vomit is poisonous to non-Orcs
    Dreamer: the character gets visions in their dreams
    Extrovert: learns social skills easier
    Fearless: is unflinching in the face of fear and pain
    Loyalty: "Death is lighter than a feather, but duty is heavier than a mountain."
    Manhunter: can pick up on strong emotion in others, such as fear or nerves
    Missing Eye: missing an eye, surprisingly
    Sixth Sense: you get a "feeling" when a life-threatening event/situation is near
    Thousand-Yard Stare: nothing fazes this character, because they've seen it all
    Weather Sense: the player can effectively make predictions about the weather, and have a chance of them coming true (only costs 2 points)

And that's a cut-down list! So, everyone pick your top choice, and a runner-up.
    Last edited by CarpeGuitarrem; 2012-11-07 at 09:29 PM.

18. - Top - End - #288

Thousand-Yard Stare sounds awesome. What this orc can't talk into submission or beat into submission, she eyeballs into submission.
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #289
    Firbolg in the Playground

1) Manhunter
    2) Fearless
    Fudge Assistant in the Playground.

20. - Top - End - #290

Thousand-Yard Stare as well, followed by Dreamer, since that sounds like a ready source of plothooks.
    A gracious thanks to Bradakhan for the avatar, and Time Walk's card artist, Amy Weber.

0 There was first nothingness. But nothingness roiled with possibility, as existence cannot be held by one fact, not even the empty fact.

Last edited by Sodalite : Today at 12:00 AM.

21. - Top - End - #291
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Thousand-Yard Stare sounds awesome. What this orc can't talk into submission or beat into submission, she eyeballs into submission.
    I will point out that with that trait (which I forgot to add, only costs 2 points), and with our orc's will, the character will be almost impossible to faze when witnessing horrific violence or (more importantly) taking wounds.

(Seriously. A failed Hesitation test will ruin your fight, and this orc will pretty much never have to deal with that.)

22. - Top - End - #292
    Halfling in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sodalite View Post
    Thousand-Yard Stare as well, followed by Dreamer, since that sounds like a ready source of plothooks.
    I'll join this bandwagon. If it's Thousand-Yard Stare, and only two points, I vote the last point goes into Sprinter.

23. - Top - End - #293

Ok, Thousand-Yard Stare, then Missing Eye if we can afford it, and Sprinter if we can't.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2012-11-07 at 11:25 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #294
    Troll in the Playground

1. Dreamer. The secret weapon that helped her get where she is. The question is, what being or force is granting these dreams and why does it want her to rule...
    2. Missing Eye. Because at least a few people were talking about buying this as a Trait if the Die of Fate didn't do it for us.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

25. - Top - End - #295
    Ettin in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

1: Missing eye
    Y'all promised me some contention!
    2: Breeder
    For those *Tons of kids* that we were talking about.

26. - Top - End - #296
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

I want to join the Thousand Yard Stare bandwagon!

For my runner up, going with the female Caesar idea, I'd say Manhunter.
    Originally Posted by Xefas:
    "I need the Goblins in phalanx arrangement. Sky Blotters in the back! Swissles? Assume the Swizzle Stick Formation! We're going in!"
    What Pokemon am I?
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #297
    Troll in the Playground

Thousand Yard Stare (Combined with our 'Life is Death' auto trait, we could probably do quadratic equations in our head while being strangled with our own intestines.)

And Scheming.

28. - Top - End - #298
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Acanous View Post
    2: Breeder
    For those *Tons of kids* that we were talking about.
    Already comes with the package. The Racial Traits I mentioned already come with orcs.

Which, yes, means Cannibal Caesar.

29. - Top - End - #299
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeGuitarrem View Post
    Which, yes, means Cannibal Caesar.
    "You've failed me for the last time, captain. If you cannot serve me properly in the legions, perhaps you can serve me in the kitchens."

*Thousand Yard Stare*

30. - Top - End - #300
    Ogre in the Playground

Thousand Yard Stare and Missing Eye