New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 51 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Dominic Deegan, Mk. XLVII: A Flat World From Recycled Scrap

Quote Originally Posted by Acanous View Post
    Archmage dies over the city. DJ: "Look folks! A monster came to attack the city! But I killed it Pre-emptively. You never have to fear the sort of attack the Lunarians had to deal with while I am your king!"
    But... He already HAS the respect of the people, it's not like this is an election year.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Firbolg in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by random11 View Post
    But... He already HAS the respect of the people, it's not like this is an election year.
    True, but he was going to stage this whole stupid attack to start with. Killing the "Monster" after it's shown up but before it's done any damage doesn't actually invalidate the plan, it just makes David look more competant and decisive a leader, than fuel up the populace on rage.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Acanous View Post
    True, but he was going to stage this whole stupid attack to start with. Killing the "Monster" after it's shown up but before it's done any damage doesn't actually invalidate the plan, it just makes David look more competant and decisive a leader, than fuel up the populace on rage.
    Only problem is, a gigantic monster is about to crush down on the unsuspecting populace killing hundreds. Just goes to show how smart Miranda really is. There's no chance he'll win the next election after a disaster like this happened.

4. - Top - End - #34

OldWizardGuy

"I stopped it from using it's powers to destroy the entire city. Sadly, the sheer WEIGHT of the thing meant that even in it's death, it did some damage. My opponent implies he'd have let it run rampant, destroying more of the city. Is that who you want in office?"

5. - Top - End - #35
    Bugbear in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by guttering flame View Post
    Only problem is, a gigantic monster is about to crush down on the unsuspecting populace killing hundreds.
    yes, because his body is so big.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, crisis averted. The bigger they are, the lighter they fall.

Sneaky
    Future

Also: I hope those bystanders only smoke, but don't inhale that stuff.
    Last edited by Welf; 2012-10-19 at 01:26 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

7. - Top - End - #37
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie Welf View Post
    Well, crisis averted. The bigger they are, the lighter they fall.

Sneaky
    Future

Also: I hope those bystanders only smoke, but don't inhale that stuff.
    Woo. The King is the best ruler ever, Bro!!!! You can't get this Manta-Ray **** anywhere else Bro! I'm tripping balls.
    Last edited by Rhapsh; 2012-10-19 at 01:46 AM.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Troll in the Playground

Sad smiley face in panel 4.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Dwarf in the Playground

As far as I can remember, the only people who know about the archmagi in the first place are powerful magic-users and those affiliated with the Deegans (but I repeat myself). Therefore, as nearly as I can tell, this is the sequence of recent events, as seen by a common bystander:

1) Giant Manta-Monster attacks well-known cathedral, killing scores of people.
    2) Giant Manta-Monster moves to capital city, approaching royal palace.
    3) King DJ walks onto his balcony and observes the approach of Manta-Monster.
    4) Manta-Monster begins to disintegrate, blaming the king for its death.
    5) King stands in grim, stoic silence, coldly watching Manta-Monster die.

The only logical next step is for the people to rejoice, praising their king for saving them from the evil and destructive monster.
    Last edited by St. Salieri; 2012-10-19 at 01:49 AM.
    Name inspiration.

G. K. Chesterton's food for thought:
    "Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions."
    "You cannot grow a beard in a moment of passion."

10. - Top - End - #40
    Barbarian in the Playground

Thus dies the last of the expendable Archmages, thus fulfilling the prophecy stating that all newly introduced characters must develop a single overblown character trait or die. Alas, poor archmages. The Deegans were hogging the spotlight too much to allow the Archmages to develop any characterization.

11. - Top - End - #41

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by St. Salieri View Post
    The only logical next step is for the people to rejoice, praising their king for saving them from the evil and destructive monster.
    What gets me is that Dave is meant to be a master political manipulator, but yet somehow he won't be able to spin this in his favour even though it requires no spin at all.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Trazoi View Post
    What gets me is that Dave is meant to be a master political manipulator, but yet somehow he won't be able to spin this in his favour even though it requires no spin at all.
    Come on, what will the king say when the voters complain about the air pollution in the capital? That's right, he will have nothing to say.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Dwarf in the Playground

Come on, what will the king say when the voters complain about the air pollution in the capital? That's right, he will have nothing to say.
    One does not want to mess with the Capital City neighborhood association. They'll break your tentacles if you don't trim your doom fort's lawn.
    Last edited by Rhapsh; 2012-10-19 at 02:54 AM.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

The Land Where 99 Men Weep and One Man Laughs

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Has this entire comic been nothing more than an experiment to see how many ways he can fail as a writer and an artist at the same time?
    Lots of webcomics are experiments. For instance, VGCats is an experiment to see just how little a webcomic can be updated and still make money.

Because kings are elected now. Because Mookie apparently learned storytelling on George Lucas' knee.

That actually explains quite a lot, really.

"Mech is king."
    Heinz Guderian

Johann Kraus avatar courtesy of Beleth.

15. - Top - End - #45

I'm posting a day late, but I can't believe Mookie had to make Miranda even MORE powerful. And he did it by having a character tell us, not by showing us. Can there be suspense when the main antagonist has been made so much weaker.

BTW, I think the arch-mage represents the webcomic, and DJ represents Mookie. The webcomic is horrified by all the awful work Mookie has done, and it wants to die now instead of having the slow, painful death that is the last few months.

Dominic Deegan: Kill me now

16. - Top - End - #46
    Troll in the Playground

I thought that was Dresden Codak? Or is that experimenting something else?

Actually it is. The King Elections are in Novvember.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. McGician View Post
    Thus dies the last of the expendable Archmages, thus fulfilling the prophecy stating that all newly introduced characters must develop a single overblown character trait or die. Alas, poor archmages. The Deegans were hogging the spotlight too much to allow the Archmages to develop any characterization.
    I think Ara might still be alive. Mookie'll probably fart her out of his ass to rescue a Deegan*. Then she can die.

*This is the classiest sentence I've ever written

17. - Top - End - #47

Also, somewhere between 1 and 2 a giant cathedral just fell out of the sky making a sound like souls being torn apart, and it's now parked right over the palace.
    And the king is really far away. Who can see him, let alone his facial expressions? I'm figuring this was the observations of the common people.

1) Well-known cathedral attacked and destroyed. By something? I guess?
    2) Second, sexy cathedral drops from a hole in the sky.
    3) Monster appears, disintegrates, yells about the king.

I am also kind of interested to see how the king screws this up, given that Callanians by and large are enormous racists, so I don't really expect tears to be shed about this guy.
    Last edited by rocketpony; 2012-10-19 at 06:29 AM.
    Who makes fabulous avatars? MEMNARCH makes fabulous avatars!

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

As far as I can remember, the only people who know about the archmagi in the first place are powerful magic-users and those affiliated with the Deegans (but I repeat myself). Therefore, as nearly as I can tell, this is the sequence of recent events, as seen by a common bystander:

Don't get me wrong, I agree. I was thinking about the exact same thing myself.
    But then I remembered that a TV with the king and the beast was enough to convince some people.

Screw logic, Mookie already "planned" that the king will be hated, and nothing can change it.
    So just hop on the insane railroading train and enjoy the ride...

19. - Top - End - #49
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

I do kind of fear that the "logic" here is that the people will have seen the poor arch-mage creature thingy being killed (?) by the king (?) before having done anything, so it must be the innocent victim here, and the king must be the villain. After all, the apparent aggressor is always the villain.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Analysis View Post
    I do kind of fear that the "logic" here is that the people will have seen the poor arch-mage creature thingy being killed (?) by the king (?) before having done anything, so it must be the innocent victim here, and the king must be the villain. After all, the apparent aggressor is always the villain.
    But that was the king's plan.
    He is the one who mind-controlled the arch-magi to come to him, so he can be killed. That was also the point of the attack on the cathedral.

I have a headache...

21. - Top - End - #51

GnomeWizardGuy

By DD logic there is no need for anything more. Everyone heard the big manta ray call Dave to be a traitor, ergo they will all believe he is a traitor.

Because that's what they needed to turn against him. Not the scary corrupted army of battle casters, or a floating fortress appearing over his castle, or the blatantly obvious villany he's done right in front of them right from the beginning such as being there and announcing when the previous rulers "killed themselves" or carving out his own eyes.

Man, I really wish Mookie would wrap up DD so we can see Star Power. I honestly don't think he cares anymore.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Trazoi View Post
    By DD logic there is no need for anything more. Everyone heard the big manta ray call Dave to be a traitor, ergo they will all believe he is a traitor.

Because that's what they needed to turn against him. Not the scary corrupted army of battle casters, or a floating fortress appearing over his castle, or the blatantly obvious villany he's done right in front of them right from the beginning such as being there and announcing when the previous rulers "killed themselves" or carving out his own eyes.

Man, I really wish Mookie would wrap up DD so we can see Star Power. I honestly don't think he cares anymore.
    Its harry potter logic. Just like how every time the daily prophet spews out another new headline, everyone believes it. Even if it contradicts last weeks edition. The people hear that the king is evil, with no evidence, therefore it must be true!
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

Its harry potter logic. Just like how every time the daily prophet spews out another new headline, everyone believes it. Even if it contradicts last weeks edition. The people hear that the king is evil, with no evidence, therefore it must be true!
    To be fair, Harry Potter was parodying Tabloids and those who believe them (and depressingly well) whereas DD is parodying...DD, maybe?

24. - Top - End - #54

GnomeWizardGuy

Except with the Daily Prophet in Harry Potter, it's a) showing that the wizard community generally doesn't have much common sense, b) showing most adults are silly so the kids can save the day and c) a satire of modern society and tabloid reporting. And most critically, d) the Daily Prophet was a pain for the protagonists, not for the antagonists.
    Last edited by Trazoi; 2012-10-19 at 09:43 AM.

25. - Top - End - #55

Its harry potter logic. Just like how every time the daily prophet spews out another new headline, everyone believes it. Even if it contradicts last weeks edition.
    We have always mistrusted our benevolent and popular king.
    Freedom is slavery.
    Who makes fabulous avatars? MEMNARCH makes fabulous avatars!

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

So just to summarize;

DJ's original plan:
    1) Make the arch-magi attack the cathedral and kill a bunch of people.
    2) Make the arch-magi come to the city.
    3) Establish that the king is the enemy of the arch-magi and kill him with awesome magic.

Result: Everyone loves the king, and... Well, I'm not sure what at this point.

Failed plan:
    1) Make the arch-magi attack the cathedral and kill a bunch of people.
    2) Make the arch-magi come to the city.
    3) The arch-magi died and it is established that he hates the king.

Result: The most likely result is that on Monday, everyone will hate the king and believe he is evil.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Troll in the Playground

Result: The most likely result is that on Monday, everyone will hate the king and believe he is evil.
    Well, of course, I mean, not only did he do an unspecified thing to a space monster, but more importantly he's also just been called a traitor, so obviously he's always lied to the people.

Logic!

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, of course, I mean, not only did he do an unspecified thing to a space monster, but more importantly he's also just been called a traitor, so obviously he's always lied to the people.

Logic!
    But will they be able to SEE THE TRUTH! without Domi making them SEE THE TRUTH!? As long as the king controls Domi he still has a chance.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Colossus in the Playground

But will they be able to SEE THE TRUTH! without Domi making them SEE THE TRUTH!? As long as the king controls Domi he still has a chance.
    Unless Domi SEES THE TRUTH! and learns he had the power inside him all along to curb stomp king dj and his tentacle eyes. Possibly with a rousing appearance/death by klo tark to get him revved up.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

Unless Domi SEES THE TRUTH! and learns he had the power inside him all along to curb stomp king dj and his tentacle eyes. Possibly with a rousing appearance/death by klo tark to get him revved up.
    I don't know, that sounds lame. I expect Klo Tark to show up, and introduce the conscious of the Heart of Magic, which is GOD itself. And then GOD/HoM talks up Dominic and tells him that he waited since the dawn of time for someone as awesome and tolerant as him. But it knew Dominic would come, since it was foreseen in the First Prophecy (TM).
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin