New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 51 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212237 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Dominic Deegan, Mk. XLVII: A Flat World From Recycled Scrap

Quote Originally Posted by random11 View Post
    How do they know Dominic is being tortured?
    No, see, a werewolf who suffers from a condition that makes her prone to losing control, getting confused, and generally not being fully in touch with reality, per se, asserted that she could hear somebody screaming, who sounded like they might be Dominic, and the screams were such that he might be being tortured. She did this using powers she has no formal training in, that she didn't know she had until hours ago (days ago? weeks? what's the timeline in this again?), in a world where illusion magic is a thing.
    It's obvious when you think about it.
    Who makes fabulous avatars? MEMNARCH makes fabulous avatars!

2. - Top - End - #332
    Firbolg in the Playground

Hang on, I just realized something:

Seers are at risk of mindbreak when they suffer extreme stress.
    Katya has a congenital disorder that causes her to suffer violent mood swings.
    Katya is now training to be a seer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

3. - Top - End - #333
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Mewtarthio View Post

Okay then. More reason why I don't want to live in Wolfland.

4. - Top - End - #334
    Titan in the Playground

I wouldn't be surprised if it hasn't occured to Mookie at all.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

5. - Top - End - #335
    Ogre in the Playground

Let's try to make more sense in the story by switching the timing of events:

- Nimmel decides to ask the Eld about what happened to their civilization because of the heart of magic. He does that so they will haveunderstand what they are going to face.

- The Eld tells him it's something to do with a seer, with the gang, they figure out it has something to do with a mind-break

- The gang have a theory that the mind-break is needed as part of the process, and reach the conclusion that the king must be torturing Dominic to break him.

Still leaves the Celesto issue open, but that's the best I can do with just moving events.

6. - Top - End - #336
    Troll in the Playground

Don't be racist. Runts can do whatever they want, and everything will work out perfectly for them.
    If you like my thoughts, you'll love my writing. Visit me at www.mishahandman.com.

7. - Top - End - #337
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rocketpony View Post
    No, see, a werewolf who suffers from a condition that makes her prone to losing control, getting confused, and generally not being fully in touch with reality, per se, asserted that she could hear somebody screaming, who sounded like they might be Dominic, and the screams were such that he might be being tortured. She did this using powers she has no formal training in, that she didn't know she had until hours ago (days ago? weeks? what's the timeline in this again?), in a world where illusion magic is a thing.
    It's obvious when you think about it.
    And in which your visions are completely worthless without years of training in the history and culture of every nation ever.

Obvious.

8. - Top - End - #338
    Dwarf in the Playground

You know the best part about this whole Mindbreak thing, is that this is what they are worried about.

They've been told they would be fighting a horrible monster that has killed and possessed people. In addition, they would need to deal with the Infernomancer, someone I'm sure they are familiar with. Then top it all off that this is controlled by the leader of their country who is an extremely powerful wizard. And no, they are worried about Dominic "Mindbreaking" and killing them all.

Dominic even gets to overshadow the main villains in apparent threat. Mookie made Dominic the main protagonist and antagonist to this whole stupid story.

9. - Top - End - #339
    Colossus in the Playground

I wonder if Mookie will give us a nimmel versus the infernomancer round 2 battle? You know, let us see nimmel dealing with his ptsd over fighting losing, and losing his EYE in a battle against this guy, and having to face him again. I dont know about you, but I think that would be badass.

Nimmel: "The fight wont end so well for you this time," /flares some magical aura "I have gotten far stronger since then."

TIM: "Oooh, scary, " /flashes some tentacle evil heavy dark aura thing "So have I."
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

10. - Top - End - #340

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rhapsh View Post
    Dominic even gets to overshadow the main villains in apparent threat. Mookie made Dominic the main protagonist and antagonist to this whole stupid story.
    This is my favourite thing too. While it's hilarious in the current context, the part of me that still wants Mookie to improve is frustrated that the mindbreak scenario was the best choice for the final arc. A crazy dangerous Dom having to be neutralised somehow by his friends would have worked so well as the basis for a finale, but instead it's a footnote in this Heart of Magic nonsense.

Oh well, guess Mookie still gets his last shot at sef-improvement with Star Power.

11. - Top - End - #341

Quote Originally Posted by Trazoi View Post
    This is my favourite thing too. While it's hilarious in the current context, the part of me that still wants Mookie to improve is frustrated that the mindbreak scenario was the best choice for the final arc. A crazy dangerous Dom having to be neutralised somehow by his friends would have worked so well as the basis for a finale, but instead it's a footnote in this Heart of Magic nonsense.

Oh well, guess Mookie still gets his last shot at sef-improvement with Star Power.
    Be honest, no snark, no ragging on him, do you really think a new series will be any better? Personally, i think no. If he had better artwork skills, he would have done it on this comic, so the picture quality will likely remain low. And while it is possible for his writing to improve if he can actually take away some lessons from his long run on this comic and start fresh with a blank slate, I just dont see it happening. The writing, much like the artwork, has stayed fairly even on its suckitude scale. It has fluctuated from arc to arc, but in general its been bad. And of course his love of single shot ass pull skills doesnt help.

Still, it IS possible he will do better this time. If he can avoid falling into his usual plot hole traps it could turn out ok.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

12. - Top - End - #342

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Be honest, no snark, no ragging on him, do you really think a new series will be any better?
    Honestly? In terms of writing quality - yes, I think it will be. Mookie's biggest problem as a writer is he doesn't do any drafting. Just by the formalities of working with someone else, he's going to be working on batches of pages at a time, bouncing ideas off his artist, doing a bunch of stuff that requires refinement and thought about what he's writing. I will genuinely be surprised if that doesn't result in a step up from current Dominic Deegan, because it means he's actively trying to write this bad.

That said, I'm also expecting a short life span for Star Power: less than a year won't be a shock, and I'll be surprised if it makes it to three. Garth has the lion-share of the workload, and I expect he'll drop out either due to changing life circumstances or Mookie falling back to old habits and not pulling his weight as a writer.

13. - Top - End - #343
    Ogre in the Playground

14. - Top - End - #344

NecromancerGuy

Left alone for a few minutes and already crying.

STRONG FEMALE PROTAGONISTS

15. - Top - End - #345
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by guttering flame View Post
    So, any bets on who will be our next mystery ally?

Don't really have a problem with Luna being emotional at this point.
    I see it as guilt.
    Guilt for placing Jacob alone vs. zombies she suspected about, which triggered the surrender.
    Guilt about not insisting on a backup plan, or at least talking to Miranda before he goes.
    And of course, guilt for letting him go, which was probably the stupidest plan ever (let's give the king exactly what he needs, that will work!)

Unfortunately, I think Mookie sees this scene less as guilt, and more as "I need to get stronger" moment. I guess we'll see in the news post.

16. - Top - End - #346

GnomeWizardGuy

Luna is useless, where is Dominique?
    Spoiler
    Show

So, any bets on who will be our next mystery ally?
    She's trying to reach the world's creepiest dragon who they know how to contact and think can help them because reasons.

17. - Top - End - #347
    Bugbear in the Playground

Unfortunately, I think Mookie sees this scene less as guilt, and more as "I need to get stronger" moment. I guess we'll see in the news post.
    I like how we're blatantly relying on Mookie to interpret this incomprehensible garbage for us.
    Avatar by Dirtytabs - Much gratitude

18. - Top - End - #348
    Ogre in the Playground

The Land Where 99 Men Weep and One Man Laughs

That is creepy:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Putting those panels side-by-side highlights the fact that the gravity of the situation is so extreme that Tara or whatever her name is actually almost got dressed for it.

"Mech is king."
    Heinz Guderian

Johann Kraus avatar courtesy of Beleth.

19. - Top - End - #349
    Orc in the Playground

It looks to me like they're all (well, maybe not the guy in the black t-shirt - in both pictures) wearing less. Which makes sense - iirc it was winter in that arc, and it's not winter in this arc.
    =Uncool-

20. - Top - End - #350
    Troll in the Playground

What a strong female character. She can kick ass but she's also vulnerable (read: cries all the time.) That's what feminism is, right? Mookie clearly graduated from the Joss Whedon school of writing.

Just a question and I'm probably wrong here, but has Mookie ever shown a male character -preferably a hero- crying? Maybe Dominic at the end of War in Hell?

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    I wonder if Mookie will give us a nimmel versus the infernomancer round 2 battle? You know, let us see nimmel dealing with his ptsd over fighting losing, and losing his EYE in a battle against this guy, and having to face him again. I dont know about you, but I think that would be badass.

Nimmel: "The fight wont end so well for you this time," /flares some magical aura "I have gotten far stronger since then."

TIM: "Oooh, scary, " /flashes some tentacle evil heavy dark aura thing "So have I."
    Mookie account detected.
    Last edited by T-O-E; 2012-11-08 at 05:30 AM.

21. - Top - End - #351
    Bugbear in the Playground

Oh, gods, I can't handle how anti-cute Spark is right there. I mean, I can see the pose Mookie was going for, and I imagine a cat doing it and smile a little, only to look back at Spark's... everything, and ugh.
    "Nothing can stop The Smooze."

22. - Top - End - #352

Quote Originally Posted by T-O-E View Post

Mookie account detected.

YOU TAKE THAT BACK YOU SON OF A *&$%*^$%! OR ELSE I WILL WRITE YOU IN AS A WHINY BRAT CHARACTER THAT NEEDS DOM TO SAVE HI.... I mean, because its totally untrue.

23. - Top - End - #353
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'd cry too if someone told me I had to summon the creepiest dragon in the world.
    Icon by azuyomi244.

24. - Top - End - #354

That said, I'm also expecting a short life span for Star Power: less than a year won't be a shock, and I'll be surprised if it makes it to three. Garth has the lion-share of the workload, and I expect he'll drop out either due to changing life circumstances or Mookie falling back to old habits and not pulling his weight as a writer
    I disagree. From what I understand, they have already made a lot of the comic and sketched out the storyboards, and that will take them pretty far. And you have to give Mookie credit for dedication- he has stuck to his update schedule for over ten years.
    The big question is if the comic will generate enough revenue for two people. Remember, Mookie can live off of DD, but does he expect Star Power to generate twice as much? That's the big question.

25. - Top - End - #355

Where is Luna right now? I know in this comic locations are never important, but I just noticed that Mookie went through the trouble of drawing a big crack in the wall, so it must be important somehow. Is he trying to show us that their house is run-down because they're poor? Or is she in some seedy bar, crying over beer?

26. - Top - End - #356
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Valencia View Post
    I'd cry too if someone told me I had to summon the creepiest dragon in the world.
    And being comforted by the creepiest cat in the world certainly didn't help. I mean, look at her in the last panel. That woman just completely snapped and now the world will burn in an Acibek-enhanced Fireball, right after she's done strangling Spark.

27. - Top - End - #357
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by T-O-E View Post
    What a strong female character. She can kick ass but she's also vulnerable (read: cries all the time.) That's what feminism is, right? Mookie clearly graduated from the Joss Whedon school of writing.
    I don't see how kicking ass and crying sometimes prevents her from being a strong female character.
    Rather focus on panel 2: There's Nimmel, who once tried to commit suicide and was stopped by Luna. And there's Tara, one of the students in the academy where Luna works. Neither of them expects Luna to handle the situation well, or even expects her to lead and give others support. Instead they pity her and are concerned.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

28. - Top - End - #358
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. McGician View Post
    Where is Luna right now? I know in this comic locations are never important, but I just noticed that Mookie went through the trouble of drawing a big crack in the wall, so it must be important somehow. Is he trying to show us that their house is run-down because they're poor? Or is she in some seedy bar, crying over beer?
    Mookie forgot whether the action was taking place in Barthis (where the refugees are hanging out) or Aberxast (where super-zombies just attacked) and so currently Luna is in Aberxast for no apparent reason.
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

29. - Top - End - #359
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle_Hunter View Post
    Mookie forgot whether the action was taking place in Barthis (where the refugees are hanging out) or Aberxast (where super-zombies just attacked) and so currently Luna is in Aberxast for no apparent reason.
    That puts Mookie in line with everyone except you, then.

30. - Top - End - #360

GnomeWizardGuy

I'm fairly sure Luna is in Barthis. The house was destroyed when Mantis Mage jumped through the roof. I could be wrong because it's not as if the specific place matters in 2012 DD.

Quote Originally Posted by elros View Post
    I disagree. From what I understand, they have already made a lot of the comic and sketched out the storyboards, and that will take them pretty far. And you have to give Mookie credit for dedication- he has stuck to his update schedule for over ten years.
    I'm confident they are going to launch, but now there are two people involved Mookie's tenacity alone isn't going to be enough to keep the comic alive. It depends on how much is expected of Garth (how many pages are they updating a week? One? Three? Five?) There's a real risk of creative burn out. And it doesn't help that there most likely isn't going to be a lot of money in this.