New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222338 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Dominic Deegan, Mk. XLVII: A Flat World From Recycled Scrap

If Garth is contracted by Mookie, then odds are he could stick with Star Power till the end, since he's probably a full-time freelancer. The question is whether Star Power can make enough for Mookie to keep supporting Garth. From what I understand, DD was barely enough to keep Mookie afloat, unless he intends to get more income from his supposed DD spin-off.

2. - Top - End - #362
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

When Star Power was announced I guessed Garth would be being paid a percentage rather than contract rates, but given the amount of time he's spent on the comic already that might be incorrect. I can't see how DD and Star Power can support a fair artists hourly commission rate in the long term however.

If it's one of those semi-formal profit share fifty-fifty deals, then Mookie has to put in an equal amount of effort on the writing as Garth is on the art otherwise no matter how nice a guy he is things will go sour rather quickly.

3. - Top - End - #363
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie Welf View Post
    I don't see how kicking ass and crying sometimes prevents her from being a strong female character.
    Because she mostly just does the latter.

4. - Top - End - #364

Holy crap. I totally forgot about this series until I saw this thread. I attempted to get through it and even finished Maltak but I got so burnt out and depressed that I didn't go on from there.

Although this thread looks dope, I might just keep going to get in on the fun. Someone please talk me into it.

5. - Top - End - #365

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by AllIHaveIsCrunk View Post
    Although this thread looks dope, I might just keep going to get in on the fun. Someone please talk me into it.
    The few years you've missed get really stupid, but the good news is nothing important happened so it's not as if you missed much. There are only six months left so if you want to join in now it's not like you'll be trapped here forever.

Sneaky Gate

So, nothing important either. Basically, it's Maltak all over again - heroes are slowly building an army of everyone who ever appeared in the comic ever, and sometime in a few months they'll have a huge battle that turns out to be irrelevant because one single guy defeats the big bad boss in a single strip.

6. - Top - End - #366

Quote Originally Posted by Trazoi View Post
    There are only six months left
    Of what, the comic? Well that's surprising. I always just assumed web-comics end when the creators die.

7. - Top - End - #367

Daemon

Of what, the comic? Well that's surprising. I always just assumed web-comics end when the creators die.
    yeah, but next year Mookie is starting his next project and as he woun't have time for two comics he is wrapping DD up around may.

Cause you know, it takes him about 6 hours to draw one DD strip.

8. - Top - End - #368
    Ogre in the Playground

The Land Where 99 Men Weep and One Man Laughs

No, they usually end when the creators stop giving a ****. However, Mookie is a very special breed of webcartoonist.

"Mech is king."
    Heinz Guderian

Johann Kraus avatar courtesy of Beleth.

9. - Top - End - #369
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    And being comforted by the creepiest cat in the world certainly didn't help. I mean, look at her in the last panel. That woman just completely snapped and now the world will burn in an Acibek-enhanced Fireball, right after she's done strangling Spark.
    At least the comic would end faster... >>
    Icon by azuyomi244.

10. - Top - End - #370

Is it just me or are the first few panels actually decent character development? It's sort of out of the blue for Donovan, but we haven't seen him much when he's alone, so I think it mostly works.

11. - Top - End - #371
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. McGician View Post
    Is it just me or are the first few panels actually decent character development? It's sort of out of the blue for Donovan, but we haven't seen him much when he's alone, so I think it mostly works.
    ...I think you're confused - that's Miranda in those panels.

12. - Top - End - #372
    Troll in the Playground

Mookie, stop reading this thread.

13. - Top - End - #373
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by T-O-E View Post
    Im tired of arguing with you, Ryan Sohmer. Stop harassing me in my comic thread! Go make one for your OWN comic! It might last 2 pages this time!
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

14. - Top - End - #374
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Trazoi View Post
    So in this comic the protagonist's father breaks down crying because his son is in the hands of the enemy.
    Then, the Maestro, a wizard that conducts symphonies of lightning and thunder makes his return.

Now, ignoring how well these two things go together and whether or not it's a good decision to put them into the same strip...if you do so, it just shouldn't be possible to end up with a result that's as bland and soulless as this one.
    Yet here we are.

Quote Originally Posted by T-O-E View Post
    B-but the SA paywall is up...
    Last edited by Johnny Blade; 2012-11-10 at 06:40 AM.

15. - Top - End - #375
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh my god.

I just realised that was Donovan and not Luna. Jesus Christ Mookie.

16. - Top - End - #376

NecromancerGuy

All I can really think about is how pathetically easy it would have been to off Miranda right then and there.

Just poke and there goes the headsplosion spell.

Well, that or instead of being super obvious about his approach . . . The King just kind of sneaks on over to their places of residence and sucker punches them with magic.

I mean, he knows exactly who's arranged against him and the idiots don't even have the foresight of even trying to hide while they prep their plan. They're just chilling at home. King just needs to call up Callan's equivalent of the IRS or the Postal Service and he has them.
    Last edited by Shogo; 2012-11-10 at 01:01 PM.

17. - Top - End - #377
    Troll in the Playground

I can actually think of a lot of webcomics that had a real ending. Bob and George, 8-Bit Theater, 1/0, Adventurers!, Minus...
    Last edited by Lord Seth; 2012-11-10 at 01:27 PM.

18. - Top - End - #378
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cavelcade View Post
    Oh my god.

But of course it was Donovan.
    We complained that only women characters cry, so we got this as a response.
    Never mind that it's not his character trait, never mind that he is known for making silly puns and jokes even when stressed, we need to see a man cry and we are going to get one!

That still doesn't make Luna a strong character, most of all because SHE DIDN'T DO ANYTHING, but we see a man cry, so now everything is okay.

19. - Top - End - #379

Quote Originally Posted by Cavelcade View Post
    Oh my god.

Aye, I was wondering why Donovan suddenly popped up in the 4th panel...
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

20. - Top - End - #380
    Titan in the Playground

You know, I think The Maestro is my favorite character, or at least my favorite character when operating within Mookie's canon and intended interpretations (in other words, edging out Punchy and Warlord Moustache). Of all of Mookie's terrible puns, his name is one of the few that actually gets a smile out of me now and again, and I like how he's just a total prick to everyone around him. Tell me that's not a straight up trollface in panel 8. Problem, Miranda? (Plus, the idea of a lightning mage who conducts storms and symphonies alike is actually kind of cool on its face, though knowing Mookie, he probably stole it from somewhere.)

That, and he hasn't had enough screen time to be horribly ruined. He doesn't have much of a personality, and that means he hasn't undergone horrific character assassination and/or decay yet.

Yes, I actually like The Maestro, at least by the standards of DD characters.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

21. - Top - End - #381

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    Plus, the idea of a lightning mage who conducts storms and symphonies alike is actually kind of cool on its face, though knowing Mookie, he probably stole it from somewhere.
    I am willing to bet Mookie heard a bad pun on "lightning conductor" and decided to base an entire character around it.

22. - Top - End - #382
    Ogre in the Playground

Sneaky

Future

Even the characters now agree with us, that they cannot find anything unless it falls right on their laps.
    Guess what happened next?

23. - Top - End - #383

GnomeWizardGuy

Oh great, the "gathering everyone for the big attack" phase is going to take at least a month.

24. - Top - End - #384
    Ogre in the Playground

This is a small detail but the exclamation mark in the dragon panel is badly placed. It's just far enough from either of them to make it hard to decide who makes it. I guess it's the dragon's elbow that's surprised?

25. - Top - End - #385
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by guttering flame View Post
    This is a small detail but the exclamation mark in the dragon panel is badly placed. It's just far enough from either of them to make it hard to decide who makes it. I guess it's the dragon's elbow that's surprised?
    I think that's actually not supposed to be an exclamation mark - rather it's (supposedly) blood dripping from said elbow to the ground. There's a similar one right under the left half of the "dragon"'s snout.
    Not a robot

26. - Top - End - #386
    Ogre in the Playground

Well Mookie thank you for linking to this again. That is honest to god my least favourite of your comics, artistically at least. I find it hard to even put my finger on what it is about your lounging dragon that looks so completely wrong. I think it's just everything about his come hither pose and anatomy and aaaaaah!!!

Edit: Oh hey the dragon has human arms and hands well that's a part of it I hadn't pinned down as being awful before that I can now file away.
    Last edited by Cavelcade; 2012-11-12 at 05:57 AM.

27. - Top - End - #387

NecromancerGuy

That's not really a dragon. Never was now that I was just forced to remember it's first appearance.

It's just a lizardman suffering from an acute case of gigantism.

28. - Top - End - #388

Griffon

I hate Luna. Really, seriously, dangerously, tie-her-up-with-duct-tape-and-shove-her-into-the-boot-of-my-car-with-a-dozen-angry-weasels despise her.

She has one function to help save her husband - go find a dragon and ask it to help out. That was a week ago. A week that she spent crying and then remembered, actually, I have no idea how to do it.

I mean, really.....? "My mother-in-law is an Archmage, my best friend is a powerful wizard with ties to the werewolves who are reknown for their Divination magic and his girlfriend is a Seeress and all of his friends are students of Divination Magic under the world's most powerful Seer I REALLY OUGHT TO HAVE MENTIONED THIS TO SOMEONE ANYONE WELL OVER A WEEK AGO"
    Last edited by Wraith; 2012-11-12 at 07:49 AM.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

29. - Top - End - #389

Great, we have another all-powerful being biting the dust so that our heroes don't have to get their hands dirty. Killing off all-powerful beings doesn't create tension if the weakling heroes are somehow immune to the danger!

30. - Top - End - #390

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    I mean, really.....? "My mother-in-law is an Archmage, my best friend is a powerful wizard with ties to the werewolves who are reknown for their Divination magic and his girlfriend is a Seeress and all of his friends are students of Divination Magic under the world's most powerful Seer I REALLY OUGHT TO HAVE MENTIONED THIS TO SOMEONE ANYONE WELL OVER A WEEK AGO"
    As long as we're talking about such wild flights of fancy, if only there had been some way that she could have checked to see if not telling the Luanian priests that they were about to be overrun by zombies could have possibly had some negative consequences or something. If only such exotic powers, an entire branch of magic whose sole purpose is information, existed.

Indeed, if only there was a spell Luna knew that sought out people to deliver simple messages, and you had some kind of feedback to if people got the message.
    Who makes fabulous avatars? MEMNARCH makes fabulous avatars!