New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 51 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122232439 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Dominic Deegan, Mk. XLVII: A Flat World From Recycled Scrap

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    I hate Luna. Really, seriously, dangerously, tie-her-up-with-duct-tape-and-shove-her-into-the-boot-of-my-car-with-a-dozen-angry-weasels despise her.

She has one function to help save her husband - go find a dragon and ask it to help out. That was a week ago. A week that she spent crying and then remembered, actually, I have no idea how to do it.
    I think Luna was genuinely shocked (at least for three seconds) when she considered the possibility that she needs to DO something.

And why shouldn't she be shocked?
    Let's review all the plot points the protagonists got so far, let me know if I missed anything:

- Dominic and Luna searched for a proof against the king for two and a half arcs until they moved to more important things like their wedding.
    Who got the proof? A combination of Celesto's TV screen, Complete stupidity of the battle casters, and evidences that were gathered off screen by mundane means.

- Stuck in another plane of existence? Cloak of Ara to the rescue.
    As a bonus, it is also a quick way to gather information without doing anything, and a contact to an entire alien race with space ships, hurray to tension!

- Necklace of Luana, the key required for the plan was regained and smuggled without any problems by two people. Priestess what's-her-name didn't know it was crucial for the plot, she just went out TO DIE, and Stunt didn't even know the thing existed.

- Great arch-magi as super-powered antagonists? Not to worry, they all committed suicide. Three of them even solve protagonist problems while they did it.

- I'm not even mentioning visions. We got used to the plot-convenient visions over the years.

So really, what makes "Luna searching for the dragon" any different?

I think the only protagonist who actually did something was Miranda, in her battle against the king.
    Sure, she lost, but losing against the main antagonist is fine as long as you try something, and she even managed to get out of it in style.

And when I think about it, Even Miranda owes both her power and rank to David.

2. - Top - End - #392
    Troll in the Playground

"Hey, Luna. Thought I'd teleport you over here now that you're done with the blubbering you're obliged to do due to the two sentences worth of characterization you've received over the past decade. So, how's it going?

Ah, pity. Of course, I already knew that, because I am a creature of the plot like my good friend Rilian.

Oh, me? Fine, I guess. I mean, I've kinda been bleeding profusely for the past couple of days or so, but it's probably nothing.

Yeah, I guess I could have brought you here before you broke down crying. Or directly after I was attacked. Maybe even sought you out to help you way before that. But you always seemed to be so busy being stupid and clueless, I didn't want to interrupt. Anyway, I've got some fresh plot for you, wanna hear?"

3. - Top - End - #393
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    "Yeah, I guess I could have brought you here before you broke down crying. Or directly after I was attacked. Maybe even sought you out to help you way before that. But you always seemed to be so busy being stupid and clueless, I didn't want to interrupt. Anyway, I've got some fresh plot for you, wanna hear?"
    What gets me is that the dragon's function is a blatant plot-dumping device and yet Mookie still manages to screw that up. He could have had the beat up dragon contact Luna out of the blue and it would serve exactly the same function, but instead we got a couple of days of Luna trying to contact him.

I'm honestly wondering if Mookie writes any notes for his writing at all or whether he has to throw in stuff like Luna saying "I want to contact the dragon" into the strips as a reminder to about what to do next week.

4. - Top - End - #394
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ugh. Plot dumps from creepy ass dragon... I might skip this week.
    Icon by azuyomi244.

5. - Top - End - #395
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Valencia View Post
    Ugh. Plot dumps from creepy ass dragon... I might skip this week.
    Don't worry, this is a fast one:

Sneaky!

Future?

And we have artifact number six that comes without any effort, or is it seven? Who can keep the count with all this BS...

And wow, the bigger they are, the more pathetic.
    Both Rillian and now also the dragon, lost to a suicidal magi who wanted nothing more than to die.
    Last edited by random11; 2012-11-13 at 12:44 AM.

6. - Top - End - #396

GnomeWizardGuy

Well geez Mr. Dragon, you had a Heart of a Dragon and you utterly failed twice. Better give that power to the woman who proved herself in Maltak by spending her entire time being drugged, ensorceled or captured.

7. - Top - End - #397
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Trazoi View Post
    I'm honestly wondering if Mookie writes any notes for his writing at all or whether he has to throw in stuff like Luna saying "I want to contact the dragon" into the strips as a reminder to about what to do next week.
    It could explain why most of the comic's continuity seems to come from Mookie regurgitating old comics (and proudly posting "linky reminders" so everyone knows).

I kind of have this mental image now of Mookie scouring his own archives for plot devices the dragon could hand to Luna for hours, then at some point throwing his hands in the air, frustrated that he can't find anything directly applicable, and just going "Well screw it all then, guess I'll just have to make something up."

8. - Top - End - #398

GnomeWizardGuy

I know Mookie has been playing Skyrim in 2012, does a dragon give someone its heart in that?

9. - Top - End - #399
    Ogre in the Playground

I know Mookie has been playing Skyrim in 2012, does a dragon give someone its heart in that?
    Nope.

This is straight up Dragonheart though.

10. - Top - End - #400
    Orc in the Playground

This comic... urgh.. its done it.

it is officially orbiting a shark.
    Credits to Nathan for my avatar!

11. - Top - End - #401
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Skaven View Post
    This comic... urgh.. its done it.

it is officially orbiting a shark.
    This is not jumping the shark. Oh no...
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    Ninjadeadbeard just ninja'd my post. How apt.
    Ninjadeadbeard's Extended Homebrew

12. - Top - End - #402

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Khosan View Post
    Nope.

This is straight up Dragonheart though.
    If this means Luna gets killed by Dennis Quaid, I'm all for it.

13. - Top - End - #403
    Ettin in the Playground

There are better ways to sneak in a reference to Dragonforce, Mookie. At least you didn't shout about how clever you were in doing so. Oh, wait, you did? At least you were smart enough to at least let us infer the obvious.

Heart of a Dragon
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

14. - Top - End - #404
    Dwarf in the Playground

Well geez Mr. Dragon, you had a Heart of a Dragon and you utterly failed twice. Better give that power to the woman who proved herself in Maltak by spending her entire time being drugged, ensorceled or captured.
    Which, given the continuity that main characters can do NOTHING to get something done, is PERFECT! She never does ANYTHING! Give her the "heart of a Dragon" power up and insta-win.
    Icon by azuyomi244.

15. - Top - End - #405
    Ogre in the Playground

Someone please email Mookie with a list of things the characters have gotten without doing ANY work. Sometimes I want to give him the benefit of the doubt and think he isn't raising laziness to an art. Then...this.

16. - Top - End - #406
    Barbarian in the Playground

Wow. This may very well be the stupidest DD strip I've ever read. Maybe some the strips in the King's Rise to Power flashback might have been stupider, but this is definitely in the Top Three. Absurd retcons combined with showing instead of telling (too bad we missed the epic fight between the dragon and Masutel and instead get a boring speech bubble telling us about it!), plus Luna gets a plot device that was made up on the spot, with the justification that she's worthy even though she's displayed all the competence of a stick of celery.

17. - Top - End - #407

I don't know why everyone's complaining. Luna is clearly the most worthy person to weild the Heart of the Dragon. After all, isn't the cliche supposed to be that anyone who would seek such power for himself is clearly unworthy of weilding it? Luna, however, spends all her time moping and waiting for things to happen to her. She is totally passive. She will never abuse the Heart of the Dragon, because she lacks the willpower to do anything for herself.

(Seriously, how can any author be so blind?)
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

18. - Top - End - #408
    Dwarf in the Playground

You would think that if a natural born dragon; who has lived countless centuries, and wields enough power to casually teleport people into his realm or mindscape, has lost a fight while possessing a dragon's heart. That just giving it to some nobody whose only defining character trait is being a doormat, that said doormat would lose the fight as well.

I'm having a hard time understanding what qualifications Luna actually has. At best she's used Ackibek's Principle to make a regular fireball into a Kamehaha attack. But outside of that she's relied on her boyfriend/husband to do all the heavy lifting.

19. - Top - End - #409
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Veridis Quo View Post
    You would think that if a natural born dragon; who has lived countless centuries, and wields enough power to casually teleport people into his realm or mindscape, has lost a fight while possessing a dragon's heart. That just giving it to some nobody whose only defining character trait is being a doormat, that said doormat would lose the fight as well.
    Ah, but he's not a First Caste.

Quote Originally Posted by Veridis Quo View Post
    I'm having a hard time understanding what qualifications Luna actually has. At best she's used Ackibek's Principle to make a regular fireball into a Kamehaha attack. But outside of that she's relied on her boyfriend/husband to do all the heavy lifting.
    Hey, she helped remake Maltak by making her fangs her own... somehow...

20. - Top - End - #410

Mookie should probably decide on whether the dragons in his universe have claws or fingers.
    Last edited by Mephit; 2012-11-13 at 11:59 AM.

21. - Top - End - #411
    Ogre in the Playground

Also, I just noticed the dragon is doing it's 'lounging' act again in panel 6.

'Draw me like your one of your French girls.'

That is how a human moves, Mookie, not something that moves on four legs and now he has claws instead of fingers okay fine whatever jesus this is so dumb.

22. - Top - End - #412
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cavelcade View Post

That is how a human moves, Mookie, not something that moves on four legs and now he has claws instead of fingers okay fine whatever jesus this is so dumb.
    Ahahahaha, holy ****. I was so distracted by the terrible dialogue that I didn't even notice the terrible art until you brought it up.

Just look at that blur effect in the last panel. What a pro.

Also his tail just straight up disappears at some point.

23. - Top - End - #413
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cavelcade View Post

Really, I thought after all the clues Mookie gave us this should be obvious.

The 'Dragon' was never seen in the real Dominion world. It only appeared to Luna in visions. We were shown repeatedly how mages can make themselves look however they like in such a place. This 'dragon' isn't really a dragon. The non-dragonish are a dead giveaway. So who is he? Well, we've seen what DJ's eyes are capable of. I think it was time for Dominic's leg to make its countermove. Giving Luna its heart (ie, the Big Piggie) only goes to show how in love all of Dominic is with her.
    Last edited by guttering flame; 2012-11-13 at 03:11 PM.

24. - Top - End - #414
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't know why you say Luna is weak.
    Luna, and in a similar way, all the first caste, are amazingly powerful.

In D&D terms, they can cast "wish" spell more or less whenever they want to.
    Stuck in another dimension? *POOF* not any more.
    Wish you knew a way to contact the dragon? *POOF* here he is.
    And it's much better than the spell's version in the D&D rules. You don't even have to be specific in what you wish for, it can be as vague as "information" or "way to sneak in"

As for cost or consequences, remember the good ol' days when the protagonists suffered from harsh physical strain like a nose bleed? It appears they got stronger, and now there is no cost and even no need to chant spells.
    Just wish it, and it will come.

The only downside, is that sometimes, when they are out of wish spells, they need to rest for a bit to recover the spells (usually, that takes around one Greg band arc).

25. - Top - End - #415
    Titan in the Playground

Words fail me.

I lack the energy to facepalm. Or to snark. Luna just sucks the joy out of everything and makes everything worse.

She's so great you guys. So great.
    Last edited by Zaq; 2012-11-14 at 02:43 AM.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

26. - Top - End - #416
    Bugbear in the Playground

AHAHAHAHA What is this I don't even

Does Mookie think Dragon Luna is cool and badass? It's more ridiculous than anything.
    Last edited by Humbug; 2012-11-14 at 02:50 AM.

27. - Top - End - #417
    Ettin in the Playground

I don't even...
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

28. - Top - End - #418

Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    Words fail me.

I lack the energy to facepalm. Or to snark. Luna just sucks the joy out of everything and makes everything worse.

She's so great you guys. So great.
    The image doesn't fit because this should be a somber moment where the forces of Deegan are gathering every scrap of power and connections they have. It's rather jarring to see a childish and wasteful display of transformative magic and blah blah blah. Basically boils down to the usual complaints of Mookie is terrible at mood.

29. - Top - End - #419
    Ogre in the Playground

Explanation: Luna's just been daydreaming about how cool it would be to get the Dragon Heart.

Spark: "So, you gonna get off your butt anytime soon?"

30. - Top - End - #420
    Dwarf in the Playground

First, she wanted to be an Orc Princess [Because growing up with a physical dissability, Curse, Tusks can be tough]
    Second, she wanted to be a loving and supportive girlfriend. [Because finding a slightly crazy man would make me hot under the collar too...wait what?]
    Third, She became a well versed mage [Because getting handouts from the above slightly crazy man's mother is A-OK]
    Fourth, she became the goddess of the entire Orc race and lifted them from cultural disparity. [Becaue___________]

---Some stuff happened in between but I don't think it really matters after Maltak---

Now, she is going to become a Dragonborn Human/Orc mage blessed by the Gods themselves. Is Mookie even trying anymore?

Because I noticed that his writing style reminds me of another author/sequential artist who is ending their decade long series. You'll notice that both Mookie and this other guy have a similar view on how backgrounds should be implemented.

Spoiler
    Show

Here's a hint...It's Bleach by Tite Kubo