New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 20 of 51 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122232425262728293045 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #571
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Dominic Deegan, Mk. XLVII: A Flat World From Recycled Scrap

Quote Originally Posted by uncool
    Well, the body language of the Eld says that they're angry.
    Looks more like a standard "powerful sage" pose. Although, given that them having an argument with Nimmel would screw up the pacing even further, I am hesitant to cling to either theory.

Quote Originally Posted by random11 View Post
    So if the time theory is correct, they will probably worship Nimmel.
    The time theory doesn't need to be correct for people to worship Nimmel, as documented numerous times. We need a bit more justification before we can turn Dominic Deegan into The Chronicles of Narnia.
    Last edited by TheLaughingMan; 2012-11-20 at 12:39 PM.
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Old Avatar by PersonalSaivor.

Ponytar by akrim.elf

Quote Originally Posted by The Lost Eyeball
    Long separated by cruel fate, the star-crossed lovers raced across the grassy field toward each other like two freight trains, one having left Cleveland at 6:36 p.m. traveling at 55 mph, the other from Topeka at 4:19 p.m. at a speed of 35 mph.

2. - Top - End - #572
    Ogre in the Playground

It looks like you have all forgotten what the basic tenets of Dominic Deegan. Nimmel will fail (while still being cool. The Eld will just they they can't help). All of Dominic's friends and family will fail. How else can Dominic be uber cool and defeat the king's enchantment all by himself before he defeats him? What the group is doing is show us that it's either Dominic's way or no way.

3. - Top - End - #573
    Troll in the Playground

That's true, but on the other hand, the Eld are the least likely ally against the king (Why didn't they contact the orcs instead?), so the most mookie thing would be to have them be the ones to actually end up joining the fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Nope, there were a few survivors. One lost a limb and they made mention of her at the first battle for barthis talking about how she couldnt get a fake limb due to something something infernal magic or whatever.
    Oh yeah, you're right. Point stands, though, if they were characters instead of sock puppets, Miranda and Nimmel should be somewhat more reluctant about letting those guys play in the laser beam cross fire.

4. - Top - End - #574
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    (Why didn't they contact the orcs instead?)
    An unexpected bout of common sense on the Deegans' part? Given what we saw in Maltak, the orcs would be about as useful in the fight against the King as a piece of styrofoam on a string.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

5. - Top - End - #575
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    That's true, but on the other hand, the Eld are the least likely ally against the king (Why didn't they contact the orcs instead?), so the most mookie thing would be to have them be the ones to actually end up joining the fight.

Oh yeah, you're right. Point stands, though, if they were characters instead of sock puppets, Miranda and Nimmel should be somewhat more reluctant about letting those guys play in the laser beam cross fire.
    Mookie is deliberately not mentioning the orcs so they can barge in and save Dominic at the last minute. Dominic will say that he planned this with them off-screen and he was only pretending to not know what the hell he was doing (just like his writer.)

Imagine the rockon value of Stonewater's orc army battling the battlecats.

6. - Top - End - #576
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by guttering flame View Post
    It looks like you have all forgotten what the basic tenets of Dominic Deegan. Nimmel will fail (while still being cool. The Eld will just they they can't help). All of Dominic's friends and family will fail. How else can Dominic be uber cool and defeat the king's enchantment all by himself before he defeats him? What the group is doing is show us that it's either Dominic's way or no way.
    This is a "bring it all" last arc.
    So while they will not reach Dominic on time for whatever-it-is, there are plenty of bad guys to share.
    Nimmel will probably face TIM, not sure if alone or with dragon-Luna.

I'm also predicting at least two more artificial conflicts, both Stunt and Quilt still need to prove they are useful (assuming Mookie didn't just forget about them).

The orcs will show in the epilogue, when flowers and plants suddenly pop out of the ground.
    That is, if they won't all be dead as cannon fodder to show how EVIL the king is.

7. - Top - End - #577

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by T-O-E View Post
    battling the battlecats
    battlecats
    Oh man, if king's forces would include a ragiment of cats in battle aromours I might consider giving DD another chance...
    Last edited by Cen; 2012-11-20 at 04:44 PM.

8. - Top - End - #578

"How else can Dominic be uber cool and defeat the king's enchantment all by himself before he defeats him?"

So far Dominic has made 2 blunders imo, trying to look at heart of magic and giving himself up to King David.

He also has been arrogant to Celesto Morgan in a way that reminded me of B5 Sheridan being arrogant to Londo and the Centari which helped the evil drakh secretly control them... in end when Centari capital world is bombed and then Centari are expected to pay reparations... not much thought goes into looking at why and that the Centari might now really be victims as well. Londo ends up a hero who saves Sheridan's butt at cost of his own life. Same could happen here.

I don't see Dominic as being portrayed any more "superhero" than Sheridan now, mostly "superhero" but with a few noticeable flaws.

As far as arcs go, I think this last one is above average for DD standards.
    Last edited by multilis; 2012-11-20 at 05:26 PM.

9. - Top - End - #579
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by T-O-E View Post
    Oh, no.

No no no no no no no no no no no...

The orcs use Chandak drummers in their magic. In Mookie parlance, that means they are fueled by the power of rock.

Greg's terrible band is going to supplement their Chandak drumming with METAL screaming, and when the Heart of Magic goes back to the orcs, Greg's going to become some sort of Super-Awesome Ultra Metal Chandak.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

10. - Top - End - #580

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by multilis View Post
    As far as arcs go, I think this last one is above average for DD standards.
    Really? For me this arc currently like a worse version of Maltak. No-one is actually doing anything, they're all blandly meeting up with every single character that ever appeared in this comic and seeing if they die of Dave-rot or not. At least in Maltak meeting up with people was more of an event and there was an attempt at some character stories.

11. - Top - End - #581

Griffon

So far Dominic has made 2 blunders imo, trying to look at heart of magic and giving himself up to King David.
    I'm pretty sure that these are the only two things that Dominic has actively done since....

.....Wow, I genuinely can't remember the last time that Dominic went out and did something. Maybe the sword-crying attempts from last year?
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

12. - Top - End - #582

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    I'm pretty sure that these are the only two things that Dominic has actively done since....

.....Wow, I genuinely can't remember the last time that Dominic went out and did something. Maybe the sword-crying attempts from last year?
    I don't think his attempt to meet Celesto or his new method for sword-scrying count, given he never followed up with taking those anywhere.

Attempting to look at the Heart of Magic and giving himself up to King DJ won't count either unless they go somewhere. The only way it makes sense if is Mookie intends it to be a massive act of hubris on Dom's part. If the story goes that route then genuine credit to Mookie, but I really, really doubt anything like that will ever happen.
    Last edited by Trazoi; 2012-11-20 at 06:10 PM.

13. - Top - End - #583
    Ettin in the Playground

why would the murderous monster STOP killing student wizards?
    I think that is a bit uncalled for.

Here is a timeline:
    Sometime in the (no so distant) past he makes a deal with a demon for power.
    Sometime in the (even less distant) past he regrets it.
    He researches and seeks a cure with his friend.
    He is stopped for no obvious reason other then the bigotry of someone who was not willing to allow him to escape his mistake, is banished to hell and losses his friend.
    He battles through hell to earn his freedom.
    He is offered a deal freedom for revenge.
    He takes the deal (not particularly heroic but who can blame him).
    He hunts for his target and finds a school, he offers a peaceful resolution and is refused.
    When someone sees sense he leaves without continuing the damage (pity no-one thought if it earlier).
    He tries to fulfil his bargain in a speedy manner.
    He is stopped and shown that he is free already, yet for some reason he still wants revenge on the person that had him sent to hell and also seemed to have removed his friend from existence.
    He is removed from existence.
    He makes a new friend.
    He gets out and works to free his new pal.

While not a hero he has some positive and likeable qualities, loyalty, respect for freedom, holds to his word, rational, pragmatic, willing to see both sides of an argument.

Possibly the greatest character in the story.

14. - Top - End - #584
    Troll in the Playground

I think TIM is the only major DD villain whose actions you can't justify or humanise. Guy is just evil. It's weird that he was the voice of reason last arc though.

Even the Beast is more sympathetic than him. That is an extraordinary failure on Mookie's part.

Quote Originally Posted by Mewtarthio View Post
    Oh, no.

No no no no no no no no no no no...

The orcs use Chandak drummers in their magic. In Mookie parlance, that means they are fueled by the power of rock.

Greg's terrible band is going to supplement their Chandak drumming with METAL screaming, and when the Heart of Magic goes back to the orcs, Greg's going to become some sort of Super-Awesome Ultra Metal Chandak.
    I don't think we've seen any human chandaks yet. If orc chandaks are powerful, a human chandak would be unstoppable!

Like how Nimmel is a better werewolf than most werewolves.

15. - Top - End - #585

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Trazoi View Post
    Attempting to look at the Heart of Magic and giving himself up to King DJ won't count either unless they go somewhere.
    I'm counting these as something that Dominic has done, because they were active decisions. Everything Dominic knew told him not to look at the Heart of Magic, but he rationalized it to himself and made the conscious decision to take a risk.

Okay, it didn't achieve much. It's not Dominic's fault that he is both passive *AND* incompetent....

why would the murderous monster STOP killing student wizards?
    Because he had what he wanted, and needed go no further; The students were no threat to him, their deaths would not serve him in any way except perhaps to further rile their protector. Because he didn't kill for the sake of killing, because he had a goal in mind and was not a one-dimensional, easily distracted fool. Because he knows mercy.

All traits, as it happens, that are not shared with the Deegans.....

Our heroes, The Protagonists, ladies and gentlemen!
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

16. - Top - End - #586

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    I'm counting these as something that Dominic has done, because they were active decisions. Everything Dominic knew told him not to look at the Heart of Magic, but he rationalized it to himself and made the conscious decision to take a risk.

Okay, it didn't achieve much. It's not Dominic's fault that he is both passive *AND* incompetent....
    Oh right, my bad. You can't get more active a decision than summarily giving yourself up to the bad guys. I was distracted by how amazingly stupid that decision was.

17. - Top - End - #587
    Ogre in the Playground

"How else can Dominic be uber cool and defeat the king's enchantment all by himself before he defeats him?"

Not so sure about the heart of magic yet, since we haven't seen any positive or negative impact from looking at it.

Dominic giving himself up is a writer flaw and not a character flaw.
    If it was only Dominic sneaking out and surrendering to save his friends, it would have been a mistake made by a character.
    But when all the protagonists agreed to this action, never bothered to contact the right people before he did, and didn't even consider an alternative plan, that's not Dominic's flaw.

The way Dominic treats Celesto is the same thing.
    It's not just Dominic since the rest of the gang treats him the same way.

And all this is without mentioning the news posts, that usually consider the character's actions to be "cool".
    The only exception so far is the ominous post about the cost Dominic will pay for looking at the heart of magic. If it actually develops into something, I'll count it as Dominic's character flaw.

Edit:

Sneaky

Future
    Last edited by random11; 2012-11-21 at 12:05 AM.

18. - Top - End - #588
    Barbarian in the Playground

Ah, but of course. Our heroes are just so Great at everything that even the hyperadvanced ancient civilization took notice of their amazing skills.

How did they know Steffanie's name? Whatever, they're mystical and omniscient and stuff. But the heroes are still Better.
    Last edited by Mr. McGician; 2012-11-21 at 01:05 AM.

19. - Top - End - #589

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. McGician View Post
    How did they know Steffanie's name? Whatever, they're mystical and omniscient and stuff. But the heroes are still Better.
    They didn't know about Klo Tark. They didn't know about Klo Tark even after reading Nimmel's mind to learn about why he's there, which is to tell them about Klo Tark.

20. - Top - End - #590
    Ettin in the Playground

They didn't know about Klo Tark. They didn't know about Klo Tark even after reading Nimmel's mind to learn about why he's there, which is to tell them about Klo Tark.
    Their omniscience is limited to the trivial. It's a step in the right direction for Mookie's writing.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

21. - Top - End - #591
    Troll in the Playground

Nimmel is so great, guys.

It will turn out that Klo Tark was a criminal who was given the worst punishment the Eld had: they exiled him to Dominia. He reformed later though.

22. - Top - End - #592
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

I actually groaned when they said the thing about the power and precision.

I'm glad I live alone.

23. - Top - End - #593
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

That... Newspost...

I am so glad I don't normally read those things, because that made Andrew Hussie's narration look modest, and at least Hussie is trying to be funny when he does it. Mookiee? Changing the lines there somewhat is, to put it bluntly, not impressive. We didn't need to know that. The expression of the Eld was fine for that. You don't need to smugly explain a stupid artistic choice.
    Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

Currently Playing: Warhammer 40000, Hades, Stellaris, Warframe

24. - Top - End - #594
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Squark View Post
    That... Newspost...

I am so glad I don't normally read those things, because that made Andrew Hussie's narration look modest, and at least Hussie is trying to be funny when he does it. Mookiee? Changing the lines there somewhat is, to put it bluntly, not impressive. We didn't need to know that. The expression of the Eld was fine for that. You don't need to smugly explain a stupid artistic choice.

Especially when, as pointed out, they just read your mind and should know that.

The real rule of DD is the newspost always makes it worse.

25. - Top - End - #595
    Troll in the Playground

The newsposts have never given me a greater appreciation of the comic. Whenever Mookie talks about how he used so and so to create dramatic tension or comedic value, well, why bother? The things he uses are really simple and basic with the end result being completely unimpressive or contradictory to what he set out to do.

The worst one was when he had the epiphany, after +ten years of writing in a visual medium, that sometimes silence is more effective than words (which he soon forgot anyway.)
    Last edited by T-O-E; 2012-11-21 at 09:38 AM.

26. - Top - End - #596
    Troll in the Playground

Wait.

Wait, wait wait.

Wait.

Wait.

Wait.

Waaiitt.....

Wait.

Those lines around everyone weren't just the elemental plane of air?
    If you like my thoughts, you'll love my writing. Visit me at www.mishahandman.com.

27. - Top - End - #597
    Troll in the Playground

There are only three locations in Dominic Deegan: white void, black void and stink lines. Occasionally there is a wall or ball made of smaller balls.

28. - Top - End - #598
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Squark View Post
    That... Newspost...

The best part was this bit:

The dotted lines that signify scrying and/or a mental connection of some kind
    So basically, even Mookie doesn't know what's going on.

29. - Top - End - #599

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. McGician View Post
    The obvious answer is that these aren't the Eld at all. They are a group of trickster faeries who have been eavesdropping on the group. Steffanie's spell was a total failure, but the faeries created the illusion of it succeeding. All the information that they "magically" know is just stuff they overheard. Those expressions in the last panel? "Oh, crap, he called our bluff! Think of some way to spin this, quick!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

30. - Top - End - #600
    Ogre in the Playground

BTW, can anyone remember when Nimmel met or heard of Klo-Tark?