New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 23 of 51 FirstFirst ... 13141516171819202122232425262728293031323348 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #661
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Dominic Deegan, Mk. XLVII: A Flat World From Recycled Scrap

Quote Originally Posted by Bobikus View Post
    Buckley has a little more awareness than Mookie but is just as amazingly awful in execution.
    I give Buckley credit for figuring out that his one-dimensional comedy characters aren't good for drama. The question is whether his drama was terrible because his characters were terrible, or because he's just a terrible writer.

2. - Top - End - #662
    Troll in the Playground

The former as a result of the latter.

3. - Top - End - #663

NecromancerGuy

Buckley is like Mookie in that he's technically had 10 years of experience but still has the understanding of art and storytelling fundamentals of a beginner.

4. - Top - End - #664
    Ogre in the Playground

The Land Where 99 Men Weep and One Man Laughs

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. McGician View Post
    I give Buckley credit for figuring out that his one-dimensional comedy characters aren't good for drama. The question is whether his drama was terrible because his characters were terrible, or because he's just a terrible writer.
    Ooh! Ooh! Is the answer "yes?"

"Mech is king."
    Heinz Guderian

Johann Kraus avatar courtesy of Beleth.

5. - Top - End - #665
    Firbolg in the Playground

Sneaky Gate
    Future Link

Wow. It looks like a main character is actually taking proactive action for once.

Too bad it's something that should have been done long ago. Seriously, in all the millennia since the Klo Tark was lost, nobody ever thought to scry and find out what happened to it?

Oh, silly me. Those are the useless Eld we're talking about. They've clearly just been waiting for a human to come along and do things for them. Remember: Racism is bad, but only because it's not polite to lord your species's inherent superiority over all the untermenschen.

(Fun thing I just realized: You know how Katya is suddenly a super-special Oracle? Well, the other werewolves practice a form of divination... but Katya's condition prevents her from fully shifting. That should seriously stunt her oracular ability, given that you need to get furry to use lunar divination. The only possible explanation is that Katya's shiftlessness makes her more human than the other werewolves, thereby making her inherently superior).
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

6. - Top - End - #666
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mewtarthio View Post
    Sneaky Gate
    Future Link

Wow. It looks like a main character is actually taking proactive action for once.

Too bad it's something that should have been done long ago. Seriously, in all the millennia since the Klo Tark was lost, nobody ever thought to scry and find out what happened to it?
    Well, they didn't think anyone survived, so I can understand that.

I sure hope these 5 seconds of training helped Katya overcome the fact that she can only hear events.
    And since when the distance in time made scrying more or less dangerous?

7. - Top - End - #667

Hmm, Mookie could've solved this with some technomagibabble about recreating Nimmel's travel back to the Dominion in a large scale using the cloak and Katya. Maybe add in a line about how the Eld never tried this before because Ara was always busy on important Archmage things and they never had a compelling reason to leave their new home until now. Instead we get the usual passive characters who practically remain in stasis until humans kick them in the buttocks (or the Eld equivalent).

8. - Top - End - #668
    Bugbear in the Playground

Daemon

Ha, newspost makes it even worse!

Dominic once peered much further back into the past says Mookie. So much further back into past that there is already Klo Tark? so so this past where Klo Tark and Acibek are BFF is further in past than Klo Tark's destruction? huh.

9. - Top - End - #669
    Ogre in the Playground

Unfortunately it mightn't be that bad. It would appear the klo tark vision is forward in time from the first vision so...technically it could be the case that only the first vision is much further back in time.

Not that this isn't horrible. A race of seers never even bothered to check? Really? Ugh, I hate this so much. I hope Nimmel, the Eld and all these students die because how stupid this is.

Spoiler
    Show
    Previous avatar courtesy of CoffeeIncluded - of Kurt, from the Toes in the Water Knee Deep Against the current Stormy Seas campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by Craft (Cheese) View Post
    The irony comes in when we use "Orcs are a metaphor for human savagery" to rationalize human savagery.

10. - Top - End - #670
    Troll in the Playground

I imagine they used to be a nation of seers but now they're not. Because of that thing that happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Cen View Post
    Ha, newspost makes it even worse!

Dominic once peered much further back into the past says Mookie. So much further back into past that there is already Klo Tark? so so this past where Klo Tark and Acibek are BFF is further in past than Klo Tark's destruction? huh.
    I don't mind this that much. All those characters are immortal so it could be a difference of a hundred years, or more.

Agh, Acibek is wearing a scarf just before he sacrifices himself. God damnit.

11. - Top - End - #671
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cavelcade View Post
    Unfortunately it mightn't be that bad. It would appear the klo tark vision is forward in time from the first vision so...technically it could be the case that only the first vision is much further back in time.

Not that this isn't horrible. A race of seers never even bothered to check? Really? Ugh, I hate this so much. I hope Nimmel, the Eld and all these students die because how stupid this is.
    Well, didnt they say they lost a lot of ships trying to escape? They had no idea there was a survivor and no reason to check until now. As for dom and his looking into the past, ugh, that whole thing was a stable time loop of causality that confused the hell out of me. "I looked forward because I saw you looking back at me, which is what made you look back for me."
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

12. - Top - End - #672

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Well, didnt they say they lost a lot of ships trying to escape? They had no idea there was a survivor and no reason to check until now.
    What do you mean, no reason to check?
    If they're trying to escape from what is essentially an extra-dimensional prison and return back to the Plane of their birth, why would they just watch and go "Well, that one looks like it exploded and killed everyone. I'm not going to check and find out for sure, even if it'd only take 5 seconds with my incredibly powerful psychic abilities, instead I'll just assume the worst and never speak of it again"?

I mean, there's kind of a lot riding on the success of these missions, you'd think they'd want to know how it turned out...
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

13. - Top - End - #673

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    What do you mean, no reason to check?
    If they're trying to escape from what is essentially an extra-dimensional prison and return back to the Plane of their birth, why would they just watch and go "Well, that one looks like it exploded and killed everyone. I'm not going to check and find out for sure, even if it'd only take 5 seconds with my incredibly powerful psychic abilities, instead I'll just assume the worst and never speak of it again"?

I mean, there's kind of a lot riding on the success of these missions, you'd think they'd want to know how it turned out...
    But thats the thing, they knew this ship crashed, blew up, imploded, whatever. So I would imagine they didnt bother to check for survivors since it wouldnt change the underlying reality that this attempt failed too, and a single person surviving by chance out of thousands doesnt alter things. Also, thats assuming they even COULD scry. After all, aside from the first caste deegans, these guys havent exactly been in contact with anyone in the world for however long its been. They may have just lacked the ability to find out the exact details until now. With people working on both sides of the divide, they will be able to scry the events and figure stuff out.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

14. - Top - End - #674

So now we have one of the Eld using the same clunky "helm" metaphor. Someone from a culture that has been evolving for a million years with zero contact with any other culture, and who should have no idea what the heroes were saying before they contacted them, still uses the exact same ridiculous metaphor, and even tacks on the words "once more."

Mookie really doesn't care anymore, does he?

15. - Top - End - #675

Quote Originally Posted by T-O-E View Post
    I imagine they used to be a nation of seers but now they're not. Because of that thing that happened.
    I suppose this makes sense since their seers all went crazy trying to grab the magic asteroid, and the survivors probably weren't too keen on relearning that craft. Mookie could've pointed out this is why they never scryed on their lost ship. Ah well.

16. - Top - End - #676

Quote Originally Posted by AgentofOdd View Post
    I suppose this makes sense since their seers all went crazy trying to grab the magic asteroid, and the survivors probably weren't too keen on relearning that craft.
    If that were the case, I'd expect them to be a bit less keen on our heroes using powerful divination magics to uncover long-lost knowledge. I'd also expect them to not be able to sense the quality of a spell from across the planes, then precisely track the spell back to its point of origin to contact its caster.
    Last edited by Mewtarthio; 2012-11-26 at 12:04 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

17. - Top - End - #677
    Ogre in the Playground

The main reason I'd think they'd want to scry and find out exactly what happened is so they could try and figure out what went wrong. Seriously, why would they not want to do that?

And again, why did they send thousands true without knowing if it'd work? This is super dumb, even for Mookie.

Spoiler
    Show
    Previous avatar courtesy of CoffeeIncluded - of Kurt, from the Toes in the Water Knee Deep Against the current Stormy Seas campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by Craft (Cheese) View Post
    The irony comes in when we use "Orcs are a metaphor for human savagery" to rationalize human savagery.

18. - Top - End - #678
    Ogre in the Playground

But thats the thing, they knew this ship crashed, blew up, imploded, whatever. So I would imagine they didnt bother to check for survivors since it wouldnt change the underlying reality that this attempt failed too, and a single person surviving by chance out of thousands doesnt alter things.
    Which kind of makes Katya's plan to scry kind of pointless.
    What do they expect to find that will transfer the Eld if the ship crashed?

Unless of course, they will discover that Klo-Tark survived because of some stupid reason like "he used sunscreen lotion", which will lead to the brilliant plan of covering all their fleet with sunscreen.

This is so going to happen this week, isn't it?

19. - Top - End - #679

If that were the case, I'd expect them to be a bit less keen on our heroes using powerful divination magics to uncover long-lost knowledge. I'd also expect them to not be able to sense the quality of a spell from across the planes, then precisely track the spell back to its point of origin to contact its caster.
    I forgot to add that was the older generations of the exlied Eld. Later on, the newer Eld generations started to relearn the magic, but by then it might have been too late for the amateur seers to know the fate of the Klo Tark.
    Quote Originally Posted by random11 View Post
    Unless of course, they will discover that Klo-Tark survived because of some stupid reason like "he used sunscreen lotion", which will lead to the brilliant plan of covering all their fleet with sunscreen.

This is so going to happen this week, isn't it?
    I wish. Knowing Mookie it'll probably turn out the Klo Tark failed due to mechanical problems and the Eld could've returned to the Domion whenever they wanted to. It plays well into the theme of unmotivated characters that need to be guided by the white man. Not to mention the whole get monumental tasks done with minimal amount of effort thing.
    Last edited by AgentofOdd; 2012-11-26 at 01:02 PM.

20. - Top - End - #680
    Dwarf in the Playground

I was expecting Nimmel to convince the Eld to help them. What I wasn't expecting was that the Eld would actually be convinced to perform a dangerous action by Katya yelling at them a bit.

Eld - "This course of action seems highly dangerous"
    Runt - "Stupid Eld, stop being a chicken and do it."
    Eld - "Okay we will help you."

This completely ignores the fact that Katya clearly has no idea what she's doing or risking.
    Last edited by Rhapsh; 2012-11-26 at 02:33 PM.

21. - Top - End - #681
    Ogre in the Playground

Starting a bet:

Tuesday and Wednesday flashback which will include a solution to the problem.
    Start to do whatever-it-is on Thursday
    Friday moves to a completely different character with a traditional cliffhanger.

22. - Top - End - #682
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. McGician View Post
    So now we have one of the Eld using the same clunky "helm" metaphor. Someone from a culture that has been evolving for a million years with zero contact with any other culture, and who should have no idea what the heroes were saying before they contacted them, still uses the exact same ridiculous metaphor, and even tacks on the words "once more."
    Obviously, this means the Eld habitually read the minds of other people in order to blend in (or possibly just to appear mysterious). I imagine they often reference events they were never a part of just like they'd been there together with everyone else, making everyone uncomfortable.
    Not to mention what happens when someone is thinking slang terms that are considered offensive when used by an outsider while having his or her mind read.

EDIT: Oh, and, no bet, random11.
    Last edited by Johnny Blade; 2012-11-26 at 03:56 PM.

23. - Top - End - #683

Griffon

But thats the thing, they knew this ship crashed, blew up, imploded, whatever. So I would imagine they didnt bother to check for survivors since it wouldnt change the underlying reality that this attempt failed too, and a single person surviving by chance out of thousands doesnt alter things.
    Hmm, maybe. But that sounds like the most monstrous thing in the world - watching all your friends 'apparently' die in a noble attempt to return to their home, and yet they don't try to check for survivors or anything even if just to confirm that their plan was a complete, or just partial, failure.

I still think that not checking 'just in case' is a completely lazy attitude on their part, and more importantly, Mookie's. I mean, the premise is that they expected their escape to work - if it were obviously and definitely suicide, they probably wouldn't have done it in the first place. If, however, they expected success and received failure, anyone with the smallest iota of curiosity would want to know WHY they guessed wrong.

Instead, their attitude is utterly defeatist and they haven't made the very minimum of effort to learn anything about their attempt. And the reason for that? Because.
    Why didn't they look into the failure and find out why it happened? Because. They knew that their ship was entering a nexus between the Planes with the intent of travelling from one to another, why did they assume utter annihilation when there was even the remote chance of accidentally going to the wrong Plane? Because.
    Why didn't anyone care about their lost brothers, sisters, fathers, mothers and friends enough to even wonder what had happened to them? Because.

These are the actions of utter apathy that are inconsistent with even making an attempt to return home in the first place, with unanswered questions and important information left hanging in the air for centuries, waiting for a Deegan stand-in to wander through and do it all for them. What were the Eld doing in the generations between then and now apart from just hanging around?

Also, thats assuming they even COULD scry. After all, aside from the first caste deegans, these guys havent exactly been in contact with anyone in the world for however long its been. They may have just lacked the ability to find out the exact details until now. With people working on both sides of the divide, they will be able to scry the events and figure stuff out.
    This part, at least, kind of makes sense. If *ALL* of the Eld seers succumbed to mindbreak, there will literally be no one left to do the work, and it also explains why the remaining Eld did not dare to try and relearn the skill in the years to follow.

But if that were true, why are they still able to read minds, and to apparently have a craftman's eye for the skill and precision of Nimmel's spell? They must have SOME skill as diviners to do that, if even only as an innate racial ability, and then several hundred years to work on it if they wanted to.

Just so many unanswered questions, all of which could be done with the single stroke of a pen but left undone leaves gaping big holes in the story.
    Last edited by Wraith; 2012-11-26 at 05:32 PM.

24. - Top - End - #684
    Troll in the Playground

Sometimes Mookie's magic system is just dumb.

25. - Top - End - #685
    Dwarf in the Playground

Simple, really. Because the posters on this thread put several orders of magnitude more thought into this webcomic than its own author does.

26. - Top - End - #686

Quote Originally Posted by AgentofOdd View Post
    Knowing Mookie it'll probably turn out the Klo Tark failed due to mechanical problems and the Eld could've returned to the Domion whenever they wanted to.
    Man, my money is on the spectacular return of time magic, and King Dave somehow being implicated in this mess. He reached out, through time, and put his foot on a blasted samophlange, and everything will be ruined but not in a way that would implicate any of the good guys.

Also, what does "home" even mean for the Eld at this point? Back to where they can't breathe the air? And their kingdom is a wasteland? Right before the balance of power is about to shift to a group who, until like two weeks ago, were split into a bunch of tribes who hated and wanted to kill each other, and whose every problem with their culture is traceable to "mind controlled by demons"?
    Who makes fabulous avatars? MEMNARCH makes fabulous avatars!

27. - Top - End - #687

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by rocketpony View Post
    Also, what does "home" even mean for the Eld at this point? Back to where they can't breathe the air? And their kingdom is a wasteland? Right before the balance of power is about to shift to a group who, until like two weeks ago, were split into a bunch of tribes who hated and wanted to kill each other, and whose every problem with their culture is traceable to "mind controlled by demons"?
    Remember, that everything Mookie has written about the Eld, he has cribbed directly from the Quarians of Mass Effect fame.

• Driven from their homeworld by a calamity of their own making? Check.
    • Forced to live aboard a 'spaceship' for centuries, unable to return because of (mostly) their own failure to act? Check.
    • Now physically unable to live on their 'home' due to being acclimatised to Spacer life, requiring breathing apparatus everywhere else? Check.
    • All their problems solved by a human of dubious diplomatic credentials? Check.
    • Even if they do make it home, a neutral-evil intergalactic/interplanar antagonist threatens to make all their efforts for naught if they don't band with the heroes for a showdown? Check.

Simply put: The Eld are going 'home', because that's what the Quarians did. How they get there will almost certainly involve a conversation in which the words 'Mass Relay' and 'the Tempest' are utterly interchangeable, and yet contain very little narrative sense.
    Last edited by Wraith; 2012-11-26 at 08:06 PM.

28. - Top - End - #688

This part, at least, kind of makes sense. If *ALL* of the Eld seers succumbed to mindbreak, there will literally be no one left to do the work, and it also explains why the remaining Eld did not dare to try and relearn the skill in the years to follow.

But if that were true, why are they still able to read minds, and to apparently have a craftman's eye for the skill and precision of Nimmel's spell? They must have SOME skill as diviners to do that, if even only as an innate racial ability, and then several hundred years to work on it if they wanted to.

Just so many unanswered questions, all of which could be done with the single stroke of a pen but left undone leaves gaping big holes in the story.
    What I meant was more, they are obviously trapped here and cant escape. Nimmel and crew are basically astral projections or some such thing piggybacking on aras cloak which helps them because mumble mumble So the klo tarkians are basically hopelessly isolated, and its only now, that they can work from both sides of the fence, that they could pull off a scry. When the klo tark blew up, they COULDNT see if someone survived, because the wreckage passed through the barrier they couldnt bypass.

29. - Top - End - #689
    Titan in the Playground

• All their problems solved by a human of dubious diplomatic credentials? Check.
    A bit off topic, but this suddenly made me want to make a Mustache!Shepard.

I mean, can you think of a human of more "dubious diplomatic credentials" than Diplomat Mustache?
    Last edited by Oracle_Hunter; 2012-11-26 at 08:45 PM.
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

30. - Top - End - #690
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Remember, that everything Mookie has written about the Eld, he has cribbed directly from the Quarians of Mass Effect fame.

• Forced to live aboard a 'spaceship' for centuries, unable to return because of (mostly) their own failure to act? Check.
    Hey, the Quarians lost when they had the billions of quarians, the quarian army and the manufacturing facilities of Rannoch and its colonies. What the hell are 17 million going to be able to do with a fleet of mostly cobbled-together rejects? Furthermore, they did ultimately act on their own initiative, Shepard went in as a favor to Tali and they would have blown it to pieces if she didn't show up.