New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 40 of 51 FirstFirst ... 15303132333435363738394041424344454647484950 ... LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,200 of 1503
  1. - Top - End - #1171
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Dominic Deegan, Mk. XLVII: A Flat World From Recycled Scrap

Mookie clearly likes Bort a lot think so I'm betting he'll have some kind of special backstory, like he's actually a powerful wizard. Or maybe he's been indoctrinated by Sovereign Dave (did Bort always have white eyes?) because that never gets old. Maybe it'll even be a Sunday cliffhanger teehee, coloured in crayon.

That's probably the reason why he's not uploading them early, because he has something up his sleeve and he wants it to be a surprise (like the last few times he did this).

EDIT: It's sunday today. Pretty massive brainfart there. Still, maybe he'll pull off the unprecented Monday cliffhanger?
    Last edited by T-O-E; 2012-12-30 at 11:54 AM.

2. - Top - End - #1172
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by T-O-E View Post
    Mookie clearly likes Bort a lot think so I'm betting he'll have some kind of special backstory, like he's actually a powerful wizard. Or maybe he's been indoctrinated by Sovereign Dave because that never gets old.
    Oh god that would be frigging hilarious just for the sheer randomness of it. I will justify it by saying this. Since dave CLEARLY hates useing mind control on callanians, he has to practice on something. And mongrelfolk are both humanoid and commonly treated as not by everyone that matters, (callanians) so they make perfect test subjects! Unfortunately for celesto, one of the standard commands is, "Destroy anyone who opposes me. You will be able to tell because mumble mumble" So now celesto has to fight the entire wild edge. He comes back to the main battle because he wants revenge on dj.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

3. - Top - End - #1173
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cavelcade View Post
    Mookie.

Mookie no.
    He'll be saving him from himself!
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

4. - Top - End - #1174
    Ogre in the Playground

I knew this is an "everyone helps" ending, but I didn't think it will include Bort.

I'm re-adding the waitress who gave Snowsong the cake to the list of people that may appear in the net few weeks.
    She'll offer a piece of cake to battle caster, and they will immediately change sides (and grow a mustache)

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    It will be revealed that bort and all other creations of the wild edge are fundamentally immune to chaos magic, as they are practically born of the stuff. This will allow celesto to have someone to be with as he learns control.
    Actually, that kind of makes sense.
    And for a change, this piece of information is already introduced.

I just hope Mookie remembers that no other magic can work there in any predictable way...

5. - Top - End - #1175
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

It's bad that I'm laughing maniacally at how everyone else is reacting/is going to react to this, right?
    Last edited by Nerd-o-rama; 2012-12-30 at 03:33 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

6. - Top - End - #1176
    Ettin in the Playground

How would you compare DD to American History X? I didn't do it earlier since the film is a good film even though I never watched it and would get anger from the one who watched. Plus Mookie is more like the producer from the film Back to Gaia (Terrible CGI film, but the producer has the characteristics of mookie since he focused ONLY on two characters). In reality, the franchise would have been dead if the formula is followed for a long time.
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

7. - Top - End - #1177
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by t209 View Post
    How would you compare DD to American History X?
    That is a very wrong sentence. Then again, both make you sympathize with a guy with a moustache who is or were into genocide.
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

8. - Top - End - #1178
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie Welf View Post
    That is a very wrong sentence. Then again, both make you sympathize with a guy with a moustache who is or were into genocide.
    That's the point! I (who did not watched the film but look it up on TV Tropes) told my brother, who watched the film, that the film failed to show the lesson of "Racism is Bad". But he said that "You are just making assumptions and the point is the realistic perspective of Racist."
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

9. - Top - End - #1179
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Please don't use TVTropes as a source to try understanding the themes or something or how well a work portrays them. AHX's themes are a bit more complex than attempting to teach a "Racism is bad" lesson. That lesson, or even racism itself, isn't really the film's primary theme.
    Last edited by Bobikus; 2012-12-31 at 06:17 AM.

10. - Top - End - #1180
    Ogre in the Playground

(Note: It's been a while since I watched AHX)

There's a big difference between AHX and DD: We sympathize with the Nazi because we see he has reasons for his hate, and we can understand him. And he later reforms the very hard way. We can sympathize him despite his racism, and not because we hate black people after watching the movie
    In DD, we sympathize with WM because of his racism.
    ― Joseph Stalin

11. - Top - End - #1181
    Titan in the Playground

Just for completeness.

I don't know what's going to happen. Whatever it is, it's likely to be disappointing.

That said, the newspost is irritating as always.
    Last edited by Zaq; 2012-12-31 at 01:08 PM.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

12. - Top - End - #1182

Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    Just for completeness.

I don't know what's going to happen. Whatever it is, it's likely to be disappointing.

That said, the newspost is irritating as always.
    I see Celestro knocked Bort off panel... You naughty person! At least buy the man-thing dinner first!

13. - Top - End - #1183
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    Was it ever established that Bort is vegetarian?
    ― Joseph Stalin

14. - Top - End - #1184
    Troll in the Playground

I know this is filler but the rock and the grass are copy and pasted.
    Last edited by T-O-E; 2012-12-31 at 02:13 PM.

15. - Top - End - #1185

NecromancerGuy

(Note: It's been a while since I watched AHX)

There's a big difference between AHX and DD: We sympathize with the Nazi because we see he has reasons for his hate, and we can understand him. And he later reforms the very hard way. We can sympathize him despite his racism, and not because we hate black people after watching the movie
    In DD, we sympathize with WM because of his racism.
    To be more specific on the reasons for his hate, AHX is about how much familial authority can influence people, and how meaningless hatred continues to be passed down through the family structure. It took very little for Derek's father to turn him from being interested in Mr. Sweeney's lessons to dismissing them as "n****r bs," Danny idolizes his older brother and becomes a skinhead to emulate him. Cameron acts as a father figure to his followers, who eat up every word he says. The first thing that makes Derek start to rethink his ways is a brotherly bond with Lamont, and the turning point is a lecture from Mr. Sweeney, who he originally respected before being swayed by his father's influence. After Derek having to go through so much, it takes one night of telling his story to Danny to get his younger brother to change as well. The black gang in the story is shown as a mirror image to the nazi group, and the kid that shot Danny was heavily implied to have been pressured into it by his older family members in the gang.

AHX isn't just about how racism is bad, it's about how a harmful family structure and idolization of authority figures can cause people to hold on to meaningless and destructive beliefs.

16. - Top - End - #1186
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bobikus View Post
    AHX isn't just about how racism is bad, it's about how a harmful family structure and idolization of authority figures can cause people to hold on to meaningless and destructive beliefs.
    Whereas in Dominic Deegan, if you are influenced to hold damaging beliefs by the father you idolize, rather than being a nuanced character capable of reevaluating your beliefs and growing as a person, you are literally Satan.

17. - Top - End - #1187
    Ogre in the Playground

To be more specific on the reasons for his hate, AHX is about how much familial authority can influence people, and how meaningless hatred continues to be passed down through the family structure. It took very little for Derek's father to turn him from being interested in Mr. Sweeney's lessons to dismissing them as "n****r bs," Danny idolizes his older brother and becomes a skinhead to emulate him. Cameron acts as a father figure to his followers, who eat up every word he says. The first thing that makes Derek start to rethink his ways is a brotherly bond with Lamont, and the turning point is a lecture from Mr. Sweeney, who he originally respected before being swayed by his father's influence. After Derek having to go through so much, it takes one night of telling his story to Danny to get his younger brother to change as well. The black gang in the story is shown as a mirror image to the nazi group, and the kid that shot Danny was heavily implied to have been pressured into it by his older family members in the gang.

I really should watch that movie again. Unfortunately because of YouTube videos my attention span is less than 5 minutes these days, so it's too long.

Quote Originally Posted by Fallbot View Post
    Whereas in Dominic Deegan, if you are influenced to hold damaging beliefs by the father you idolize, rather than being a nuanced character capable of reevaluating your beliefs and growing as a person, you are literally Satan.
    I really shouldn't read that comic again. Unfortunately because of YouTube videos my attention span is less than 5 minutes these days, so it's just short enough.

also: Happy New Year!
    ― Joseph Stalin

18. - Top - End - #1188

NecromancerGuy

I really should watch that movie again. Unfortunately because of YouTube videos my attention span is less than 5 minutes these days, so it's too long.
    It's a great movie, although someone of the scenes obviously aren't exactly enjoyable to re-watch.

Also if you want to think of it in tvt terms still, the "Big Brother Worship" trope is a more important part of the theme than the racism itself, especially if you consider Cameron to be a "big brother" figure.
    Last edited by Bobikus; 2012-12-31 at 07:45 PM.

19. - Top - End - #1189
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Happy New Year!
    Future Link

A very Deegan way to start 2013.

20. - Top - End - #1190

OldWizardGuy

Who all called Stunt shanking TIM? *Pays out*
    Stunt is totally the biggest dang hero in the Deeganverse.

21. - Top - End - #1191
    Troll in the Playground

It seems more anime than usual.

I suppose the reason for Miranda not using her items earlier was so she could get a new form and to be included in the Dominic Deegan toyline. Are we supposed to be impressed? Miranda is already overpowered, she already went toe to toe with the villain of the series and a supposedly powerful air archmage, at the seat of the King's power and in an ambush. All that changes is that she should be able to just wish Dave dead now but at this point he could easily just trip in the shower and die.
    Last edited by T-O-E; 2012-12-31 at 10:10 PM.

22. - Top - End - #1192

GnomeWizardGuy

It's just like Maltak in its lopsidedness. The villain side has Dave, TIM and the Beast, while the heroes have at least a dozen Super Mookies who get doled out new superpowers every three strips.

And even then the villains still have to act like complete dunces to give the lazy heroes a chance, like how TIM here allowed Stunt to get behind him.

23. - Top - End - #1193

Quote Originally Posted by Trazoi View Post
    It's just like Maltak in its lopsidedness. The villain side has Dave, TIM and the Beast, while the heroes have at least a dozen Super Mookies who get doled out new superpowers every three strips.

And even then the villains still have to act like complete dunces to give the lazy heroes a chance, like how TIM here allowed Stunt to get behind him.
    Of course the next comic will display TIM just sneering at stunt as really, a knife? That didnt do more than annoy him when he was just a regular infernomancer. Its like ignoring the 3 year old trying to kick you in the ankle in favor of someone who might be able to hurt you.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

24. - Top - End - #1194

NecromancerGuy

There's no possible way that TIM should be even the slightest bit inconvenienced by that. A full on throat slicing didn't stop him back in the very first story arc. Yet even if it doesn't hurt him, it will successfully distract him long enough for whatever else to kill him, because with all the advantages the Deegans keep having thrown at them, they're still only capable of winning because the bad guys are too stupid to breathe.
    Last edited by Bobikus; 2012-12-31 at 10:26 PM.

25. - Top - End - #1195

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Of course the next comic will display TIM just sneering at stunt as really, a knife? That didnt do more than annoy him when he was just a regular infernomancer. Its like ignoring the 3 year old trying to kick you in the ankle in favor of someone who might be able to hurt you.
    TIM can turn into a whirling spinning top of death and that was before he was the super chaos beast charged whatever he is now. His usual tactic when facing mutiple opponents was to attack the weakest to throw the strongest off guard. If he was to stay true to the little character he has, he should be going after Stunt or Donovan or maybe both in order to confuse Quilt. And since Quilt isn't a cheating illusion mage he can't defend both, so one of the two should be mincemeat.

Of course that might still happen in the next couple of strips, but then again it might not because that won't allow the Deegans to cleanly win and Mookie can't be having that.

(Most of the time anyway. Since it's the last story he might end up killing off a few of these characters. I doubt that naga wizard or Celesto is making this one out alive.)

26. - Top - End - #1196
    Ogre in the Playground

Why did Miranda wait until now to charge?
    Dave should have similar power, and this time they are charging his castle head on.
    Obvious answer: So she could show off with another DBZ transformation in front of her friends

There's no possible way that TIM should be even the slightest bit inconvenienced by that. A full on throat slicing didn't stop him back in the very first story arc. Yet even if it doesn't hurt him, it will successfully distract him long enough for whatever else to kill him, because with all the advantages the Deegans keep having thrown at them, they're still only capable of winning because the bad guys are too stupid to breathe.
    Unless Stunt is using his super duper unti-demon knife that Miranda gave him before the fight.

27. - Top - End - #1197

Quote Originally Posted by random11 View Post
    Why did Miranda wait until now to charge?
    Dave should have similar power, and this time they are charging his castle head on.
    Obvious answer: So she could show off with another DBZ transformation in front of her friends

Unless Stunt is using his super duper unti-demon knife that Miranda gave him before the fight.
    Made from that holy glove thing she wanted to cure szark with way back in the day?

28. - Top - End - #1198

Happy New Year!
    Future Link

A very Deegan way to start 2013.
    That's a in-battle power up who's existence is somewhat logical and it's usage was foreshadowed. Guess that's better than Mookie's usual?

I want more Celestro x Bort. And Stunt screaming "sneak attack, bitch."

29. - Top - End - #1199

Griffon

TIM can turn into a whirling spinning top of death and that was before he was the super chaos beast charged whatever he is now. His usual tactic when facing mutiple opponents was to attack the weakest to throw the strongest off guard. If he was to stay true to the little character he has, he should be going after Stunt or Donovan or maybe both in order to confuse Quilt. And since Quilt isn't a cheating illusion mage he can't defend both, so one of the two should be mincemeat.)
    In TIM's defence, Quilt is the only threat here, and even then possibly only in an indirect sense, so what he is doing is actually the better tactic.

Stunt and Donovon are not, apparently, capable of killing Rilian, nor of posing any immediate threat to TIM. Quilt *might* be able to accomplish both, so all TIM has to do is distract Quilt away from his objective until.... well, take your pick. Until Miranda and the rest are dead? Until DJ has the Heart of Magic in his hand? Heck, maybe just until the Rilian-battery burns out in 5 minutes' time?
    Meanwhile, he can have as much fun as he likes, torturing Quilt and forcing the other two to watch and wait for their turn.

It wouldn't surprise me, however, if this was all just a distraction:
    TIM: "You couldn't kill me with a knife a year ago - what makes you think you can do it now?"
    Stunt: "Wasn't trying to kill you, was trying to get you to take your eye off the intercepblablablahblah etc."

~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

30. - Top - End - #1200
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Did that first panel come out of nowhere, yes right?

1 panel flashback to explain silly power ups ..go?