New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Default Re: [FO:E] Fallout Equestria OOC 2: Ante-Up My Little Ponies

You know, I really wouldn't mind expanding the game into Hoofington. I'd expect that about 90% of posts there will need the Grimdark Tag, though.

In other news, I'm considering making a new main character (Pineapple doesn't count; Yeah, she has a character sheet, but that was more a random urge to make one and get my thoughts out on paper than anything else.)

Ideas:
    -Rowdy Shotgun-wielding, magically incompetent unicorn. Not Blackjack, I swear.
    -Exiled Sand Dog cyberneticist.
    -Abandoned Juvenile Dragon

2. - Top - End - #242
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BladeofObliviom View Post
    This is more or less correct, though I think the "Dream of Unity" is referred to as having space only for the purpose of metaphor.

However, the Goddess actually is directly capable of ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL, if Lacunae is any indication. (Note that this is Project Horizons, which has some eccentricities not entirely consistent with the original story when it comes to Unity.)

Also, individual consciousnesses actually are tied to the body where they exist (Anoma and Blackheart wouldn't be able to suddenly trade bodies), but the central "Goddess" persona can reach out and effectively act as a nexus of communication between all of them. Thinking of Unity as a single mind with a thousand bodies attached to it is fundamentally incorrect; It's more like a single circle in the center (representing the Goddess, of course) connected to a thousand subordinate but technically independent consciousnesses, each of those attached to a body.
    Ah, right. That mental image helps a lot, actually. I'm assuming the closer they get to the central circle, the less independent they are (as evidenced when Anoma had to check out whenever they reached a Unity outpost)? And with "personally reaching out", is that more like the circle getting a very large, very narrow bump as it engulfs one of the lines out, or does the whole circle actually move?

Quote Originally Posted by BladeofObliviom View Post
    In other news, I'm considering making a new main character (Pineapple doesn't count; Yeah, she has a character sheet, but that was more a random urge to make one and get my thoughts out on paper than anything else.)

Ideas:
    -Rowdy Shotgun-wielding, magically incompetent unicorn. Not Blackjack, I swear.
    -Exiled Sand Dog cyberneticist.
    -Abandoned Juvenile Dragon
    For some reason, I see myself liking the Sand Dog, but I could also go for the dragon as well.

@Purity: Waiting on Violetta in Northern Wasteland.
    I'm developing a game. Let's see what happens! Complex.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate
    Alicorn stuff!
    We have tweaked the alicorns a lil' bit from the fics to give them the option of having slightly more individuality. Though technically you could say that LilPip was just dealing with a single Named Alicorn through the better part of the story.

The Goddess is indeed able to ASSUME DIRECT CONTROL though even she's limited by proximity. The alicorns at Maripony are totally overwhelmed by her voice and they basically act like finger-puppets there. Once they're close enough to the Goddess their souls are literally pulled out of their body and only the Goddess' will remains. Beyond Maripony the Goddess is only able to directly control a single alicorn (or group of alicorns) at any given time.

Which is why the Named Alicorns are important. All alicorn memories fall into, effectively, two categories. Memories from before Unity which are incorporated into the Dream which serve as the fundamental background to all alicorns would be the first. The second are memories that they have gained personally since joining Unity. Identity is built from memories gained since joining Unity as well as core personality traits that the alicorn retains from their former life. Many alicorns have a fairly weak sense of identity, they have trouble resolving between themselves and their sisters. If they don't have a Named Alicorn nearby the Goddess needs to prod at them with her will to keep them on track. When they're sent out into the field they're usually sent with a Named Alicorn and whilst working with said alicorn they basically adopt that alicorn's identity for a time.

So for example, Mesmer was in charge of the alicorn group at the Hippocampus energy plant. To avoid conflicting wills Anoma allowed herself to slip into the Dream to allow Mesmer to continue running the show. Anoma knew that she wasn't Mesmer (they aren't terribly fond of each other) but if her body had been addressed she would have answered as if one were talking to Mesmer rather than her. If the Named Alicorn is killed their soul will temporarily ride shotgun in another nearby alicorn's body until they can get their own again. It's all a means to keep the Goddess from having to micro-manage every single alicorn in Unity.

An alicorn is unable to completely abandon their body, though they can tune out the world and drift in the Dream. If their body dies their soul returns to Maripony where it can be inserted into another of the alicorns there. One idea I've been kicking around is that the Goddess has been getting blanks (soulless cloned bodies) from Project Chimera to turn into alicorns. They would basically serve as empty bodies to stick her children into in the event that they get blown up by Steelhooves or something.

Finally alicorns are bound by the Goddess' will. They aren't able to comprehend even the concept that the Goddess might be wrong about something. The Goddess' desires are their desires. But the ponies of Unity are able to still think for themselves. They can offer ideas and insights that the Goddess might not think of herself. But in the end the Goddess is the absolute final voice in Unity.

There!

A not-so-short wall of text on the Pony Borg =D
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

Edit: Nevermind. I was misinformed about the distance of the shack and whatnot from where the caravan and prisoners were.
    Last edited by Lycan 01; 2012-10-25 at 05:45 PM.
    Anemoia: Nostalgia for a time you've never known.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Firbolg in the Playground

I'm just worried that the ninja character was put into a situation where he can directly answer (and foil due to circumstances put in place before his arrival) all of the plans and subterfuge of a group that specializes in that and isn't much in a direct fight.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

6. - Top - End - #246

Quote Originally Posted by MCerberus View Post
    I'm just worried that the ninja character was put into a situation where he can directly answer (and foil due to circumstances put in place before his arrival) all of the plans and subterfuge of a group that specializes in that and isn't much in a direct fight.
    I'm actually more worried about Swift being just plain stronger than the slave-freeing group right now, I mean, Luka's not good at fighting without a gun, Finder... I don't even know, and Elestre seems to be kind of wasted at the moment.

Feels like having a.... Ninja fighting against civilians

About alicorn stuff.... It seems a bit more like Pony Collector-borg
    Extended sig
    It's not a Paladin it's a Crusader
    Bloody Screens
    : Bringing realism to Videogames since someone had the idea
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #247
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Drowlord View Post
    Seriously, though, would you be opposed to having Elestre trying to talk to Swift, to try to get him to see that there are better things to do than beat up defenseless slaves? I'd like to know whether he'd likely just fight Elestre or if he'd actually listen.

That may or may not be a thing.

8. - Top - End - #248

I have updated the map with Clovenhoof Mountain and Wild Rabbit Woods.

Wild Rabbit Woods may or may not contain giant irradiated killer rabbits >_>

9. - Top - End - #249

Uh... Is it just me or Luka's going to lose his gun AGAIN??!

I mean, 10mm pistol was just his starting gun, but now Shadow's gun + medkit + saddlebags with the BB gun he liked so much + armored stable barding?

....I'm feeling like the world wants to take his things away.
    Last edited by Luka; 2012-10-25 at 06:41 PM.
    Extended sig
    Bloody Screens
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #250

Quote Originally Posted by Luka View Post

I mean, 10mm pistol was just his starting gun, but now Shadow's gun + medkit + saddlebags with the BB gun he liked so much + armored stable barding?

"Kid, the wasteland takes more than it gives."
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

11. - Top - End - #251
    Troll in the Playground

Luka's learning life lessons about the Wasteland, being fresh from a stable and all.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Luka View Post

You know, I was just thinking about that actually. Since y'all are breaking out, you can't really get your gear back, unless you fight your way to wherever it is on the train.

Tough break.

13. - Top - End - #253

Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    You know, I was just thinking about that actually. Since y'all are breaking out, you can't really get your gear back, unless you fight your way to wherever it is on the train.

Tough break.
    Uh... I though they could sneak around/between boxcars and try to get to a storage one; but c'mon! He hasn't had real action with any of those 2 pistols and now he loses his 2nd one in 3 days?.... Is not really fun to lose the only tool of fun and action like that, I mean, he's mostly designed as a combat medic with a bit of science, but mostly combat, losing guns like that is pretty annoying

....Either Night Jewel secretly told her "Underground" to start picking off his guns or the Wasteland just hates the idea of him going into action.

Now that I think of it.... Did they also really take his stable barding too?

Also he ain't learning anything, just that Lamia sucks and slavers could make a living out of selling his guns and stuff, the Wasteland for him is just a big map on the pipbuck to gain good karma and pwn bad karma guys.
    Last edited by Luka; 2012-10-25 at 08:12 PM.
    Extended sig
    Bloody Screens
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #254
    Titan in the Playground

I think the better question is, why did they take their guns, ammo, and armor if they knew they were just going to be surrendering themselves?

15. - Top - End - #255
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate View Post
    I think the better question is, why did they take their guns, ammo, and armor if they knew they were just going to be surrendering themselves?
    Standard Protocol and Insurance I would say.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

Because who in their right mind lets a bunch of prisoners keep all their armor, weapons, and ammo, puts them in a train car with a bunch of other prisoners, and expects nothing bad to happen?

17. - Top - End - #257
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Benson View Post
    Standard Protocol and Insurance I would say.
    Yeah, while I can see that, if you had a really nice gun like Luka's, I'd more want to stash that mess somewhere in case I ever broke out. Then borrow somebody else's spare gun/knife/sharp rock.

Maybe that's just the Fleetwing in me talking.

Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Because who in their right mind lets a bunch of prisoners keep all their armor, weapons, and ammo, puts them in a train car with a bunch of other prisoners, and expects nothing bad to happen?
    Not quite what I meant, but also a logical decision.

18. - Top - End - #258

Guns? Ammo? Armor? Do broken knives count? Or splints?

Note to self: Elestre needs to get himself some serious loot soon.
    Characters in Lords of Creation games:
    Aquaeris, Flowing Sheen.
    Xacha, the Metal Serpent.
    Viltasa, the Evening Star.
    Yash-Ko, the Flame of the Void.
    Argul Lugra, Lord of the Eyes.
    Vriset, the Glassblower.
    Valendron, Ascending Wind.

Drow Lord avatar by Dread Angel.

19. - Top - End - #259

I've updated the opening post with descriptions of Vanhoover and Tall Tail. Quick version:

Tainted deathtrap. Nopony goes to Vanhoover anymore.

Tall Tail was Equestria's Silicon Valley. Most of the city is a Steel Ranger stronghold.

We still need to decide what Baltimare is like and I'm drawing a total blank on ideas. Any suggestions?

20. - Top - End - #260
    Dwarf in the Playground

In that case, it's retcon time. Whoops, wrong city. Never mind.
    Last edited by PurityIcekiller; 2012-10-25 at 09:19 PM.
    When in doubt, use cute little dragons.

Game and roleplaying stuff.

The data is 1's and 0's. Life is the jazz. (Previous avatars)

21. - Top - End - #261

Hey, sans ninja there would have likely been a net increase in loot.
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #262
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

For some reason, I see myself liking the Sand Dog
    I'm actually inclined to agree with you here; The more I think about the Sand Dog, the more interesting the character sounds.

Besides, we have plenty of gunners already and playing a Dragon is generally either going to be Spike or overpowered. So yeah.

Or for those who have read the fic, both. :P

23. - Top - End - #263
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Hey, AmishPirate and Purity: How'd you guys come up with the idea that Girdershade is Swift's hometown? Or is that just characters jumping to conclusions?

24. - Top - End - #264
    Dwarf in the Playground

Well, given that she "won't need the shed", which implies that she stays there most of the time, and that she's on close terms with the ponies there, it seemed a reasonable assumption.
    When in doubt, use cute little dragons.

Game and roleplaying stuff.

The data is 1's and 0's. Life is the jazz. (Previous avatars)

25. - Top - End - #265
    Titan in the Playground

^Aye, pretty much that. Lone ghoul with a fancy rifle, keeping watch over some random settlement? More than that, the folks in the settlement seem to trust the ghoul's judgement without question. Fleetwing just went and assumed that, for whatever reason, Swift is attached to the town.

26. - Top - End - #266
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

I think she mentioned having just moved in a day or two before. But I may be remembering description instead of dialogue.

27. - Top - End - #267

Quote Originally Posted by Rebonack View Post
    I've updated the opening post with descriptions of Vanhoover and Tall Tail. Quick version:

Tainted deathtrap. Nopony goes to Vanhoover anymore.
    ...Please Tell me there's a mad Celestia/Luna preacher with a shotgun perpetually shooting mutants, planting traps and laughing maniacly

Quote Originally Posted by Rebonack View Post
    We still need to decide what Baltimare is like and I'm drawing a total blank on ideas. Any suggestions?
    Mmm.... Maybe Baltimare could be "Rivet city-like"? I mean, I think there's a boat close to it in the map, maybe it could be?
    Maybe is mostly a bunch of ruins around the place, with different kind of mutants, and maybe with a "Navy" base, either controlled by Steel Rangers or full of mutants.
    Extended sig
    Bloody Screens
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #268
    Troll in the Playground

So, am I to believe that Swift Star's non killing action was simply ignored and had no effects whatsoever despite him being an intensely skilled combatant, going against targets that are unarmored and in the poor condition they are all in? Its not even bloody acknowledged in any shape or form, not even to bloody say "....So and so ducked" or even "So and so felt a blow hit him as he curled on the floor, gasping for breath. However, he would not give in." blah blah blah etc ETC. Something.

And another thing. I reaaally did not like seeing Elestre and Luka take those extra turns before Swift got to react to the first set of actions, and in both plenty of crap happened in the posts for him to react to, so it was not like a one-off line of dialogue that could be easily ignored.

Swift was not placed in suspended animation or any of that nonsense if that was what was thought. It also totally killed any notion I planned for him to actually consider Elestre's words and let the others go, and along with him for that noble act, because, Swift doesn't give so much as a fart about the slavers as hinted in one of the lines. But then Elestre's "noble act" turned out to be not quite so.

When I said
    "{I'll attend to the slaver train stuff after the others have posted, including Rebonack}"
    That did not mean I will attend after Luka and Elestre had another pair of actions. It meant after Luka, MCeberus and Rebonack had their single post of their actions. There is turn order for a reason.

If I sound ranty, its because I am. I'm so ranty, that ranty is now a word.

Ranty:

Define: To feel the emotion of ranting.

ex: Benson was in a ranty mood today on Friday so they wangsted and then played minesweeper.

29. - Top - End - #269

Uh.... I read it as Finder got hit by the pressure point thing, then attacked Swift before Luka and Elestre did, Elestre attack Swift after Finder did and Luka tried to help Elestre, then try to hover away with him

...At least that's how I understood it, I mean, that his attack didn't get ignored, just that he got interrupted........I think

.... I didn't see that amount of actions being used, or maybe I didn't notice by being used to do that amoun for a while. gotta review.
    Last edited by Luka; 2012-10-26 at 07:44 PM.
    Extended sig
    Bloody Screens
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #270

I hope I didn't do anything to mess up the scne. I thought the colts were hit and FInder went in to save them in an ill-advised way. (cant do IC posts right now. Only on phone)
    Spoiler
    Show