New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222338 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: [FO:E] Fallout Equestria OOC 2: Ante-Up My Little Ponies

I don't think 'grossly stacked against her' is quite accurate. She would be utterly doomed.

Doomed doomed doomed DOOOOOOOOOOMED.
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

2. - Top - End - #362

Quote Originally Posted by Rebonack View Post
    Considering that the Goddess is made up of four of the most magically gifted unicorns to ever live I suspect the Goddess would have been able to find a work-around to the spell if indeed a spell was the only thing standing in the way.

Spells can be unwoven given sufficient study and magical aptitude. And the Goddess possess both of those skills in spades. This is more than just some hidden memories as was originally talked about. Being able to resist the Goddess' post-Unity mental conditioning is huge.

Honestly a zebra great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-(ect) grandparent would be the most sensible solution as it would fit well with what we know of Unity from FO:E canon. And having a distant zebra ancestor hardly makes someone not a normal pony. Under most circumstances it wouldn't even be noticed.
    It wasn't exactly the spell, it was part the spell reacting to the mental conditioning and exploding, possibly altering the whole process.

Well, as long as it isn't a special rare trait and she's not the only one that wouldn't ever fit into unity, then I guess a distant zebra ancestor would be ok... Then it raises questions: Wouldn't a lot others also have the same trait then? or how come the ones with it in the Unity have the same problem?
    Last edited by Luka; 2012-10-31 at 02:35 PM.
    Extended sig
    It's not a Paladin it's a Crusader
    Bloody Screens
    : Bringing realism to Videogames since someone had the idea
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #363

If the issue were just a spell-backlash that could be corrected. There would have to be something fundamental about Gleamy's nature that makes it so the Goddess can't fully integrate her into Unity.

The whole character was predicated on the idea that what happened to her was exceedingly rare. Something that might have happened two or three times ever. Zebra ancestry isn't exactly a common bloodline and the bottleneck created by the day the world ended would have diluted it even further in the population.

So no, it wouldn't be a common issue.

4. - Top - End - #364

Eh.... There's kind of the problem: If it's that rare it would kind of make her a "chosen one" with a special trait, which is exactly what I was trying to not make, but instead make her a "common subject that experienced a very very rare event"

Making her a "born rare and special" would kind of make encounters with Unity a lot less interesting...
    Last edited by Luka; 2012-10-31 at 03:12 PM.
    Extended sig
    Bloody Screens
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #365
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Less chosen one, more genetic aberration, with the zebra event.
    "Fear and creativity are conjoined twins."
    Absentee Spirit

6. - Top - End - #366

It's no more 'born rare and special' than someone with heterochromia is born rare and special. Gleamy was genetically incompatible with Unity. She got alicorn'd, but she couldn't be integrated properly. And so she was sent to Canterlot to sever the incomplete, aberrant link she did have. This is the only explanation that really works given what has transpired thus far in character.

7. - Top - End - #367

Quote Originally Posted by Rebonack View Post
    It's no more 'born rare and special' than someone with heterochromia is born rare and special. Gleamy was genetically incompatible with Unity. She got alicorn'd, but she couldn't be integrated properly. And so she was sent to Canterlot to sever the incomplete, aberrant link she did have. This is the only explanation that really works given what has transpired thus far in character.
    Oh... So still not a "Born immune to unity chosen one"?. Ok, that seems pretty good enough then and seems to still make encounters with Unity interesting

Still though, I dunno if they're just going to dismiss her as "not having experienced "real Unity"" or what
    Last edited by Luka; 2012-10-31 at 06:37 PM.
    Extended sig
    Bloody Screens
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #368

9. - Top - End - #369

'Real Unity' is unity of form, of memory, of purpose, and of will.

Of those four Gleamy only got the first.

Her memories were sealed away, so she never joined the Dream. And her resistance to the Goddess' conditioning means she never had unity of purpose or will, either. So... no. She didn't experience 'Real Unity'.

But that was the case of Fawks, too. He wasn't part of the hive mind either. And as I recall he was the pattern Gleamy was supposed to be built off of.

Unity is meant to be a grey villain. Their goal isn't strictly bad but their methods leave a lot to be desired. Still, Unity is a better option than a lot of the other horrific fates a pony can suffer at the hooves of the Wasteland. Unity looks bad from the outside because it appears as though the pony who once was is totally gone. Unity appears good from the inside because the pony isn't able to believe anything else (that and immortality really isn't that terrible of a deal.)

Though in the end, if Unity wins, they are totally going to genocide all non-pony races. And that is straight up evil without question. But that's a long term goal!

10. - Top - End - #370
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

Lucky just gave a pretty good analysis of how this setting isn't a "black and white morality" setting. Everything is greyscale. Not all the bad guys are good, and not all the good guys are bad.

I'm gonna repost the main part of what he said, because I think this is something everyone needs to understand. Not all the bandits and slavers and mercenaries are 100% bad, and not all the Steel Rangers or "good guys" are actually 100% nice. Automatically assuming that everything is black and white, morality wise, may lead to some issues with some quests, encounters, and NPC interactions.

"The Wasteland... isn't black and white..." he quietly says after a moment, eyes still closed. "It's actually... grey. Very grey. There are bad ponies who do bad things, and good ponies who do good things. But sometimes, the roles are reversed. A bad pony can still do good things. And good ponies can, and will, sometimes do bad things. Sometimes they have a good reason to do it. Sometimes they don't."

"The Legion as a whole... Yeah, it's bad. They do a lot of good things, but they do more bad things. Individuals in the Legion... It really varies. Some are nice. Some are bastards. You can say the same thing about just about any group out here in the Wasteland. The Steel Rangers, Red Eye's crazy New Equestria thing, and as much as I hate to admit it the Enclave... As a whole, they're all pretty bad. But on the individual level... They're not all bad. Some members are good ponies. They just... do bad things, because they think they have to, or because they think it will lead to good things in the long run. 'For the Greater Good.' So yeah. The Legion... They're bad guys. The individual Legioneighries? Not so much. Not all of them, at least."
    Tl;dr: Not every bad guy is bad.
    Last edited by Lycan 01; 2012-10-31 at 08:06 PM.
    Anemoia: Nostalgia for a time you've never known.

11. - Top - End - #371

"Of course! The whole point is just being white yourself and finding the lighter shades of grey and helping them be more white while pounding the darkers that are almost black!"

...Eh.... then maybe most of my... everything is in the wrong setting now.

Ugh....I hate grey and gray settings, it's harder to know who to pwn and everything....
    Last edited by Luka; 2012-10-31 at 08:13 PM.
    Extended sig
    Bloody Screens
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #372
    Ettin in the Playground

You don't "pwn" anyone. You live, try to find a place to survive un, and heck if you haven't been eaten yet then you can set up a settlement where real morals can be set up.

It's because of the grey and grey situation that Lamianos can go from a mare stomping chem chugging bloodcrushing behemoth to a caring loyal father figure who wants to ensure that he has a safe place for fillies and colts to grow up in. He makes alot of bad decisions, alot of them, and he's too stuck up to admit that he's wrong or that he can change. Because Lamianos is Lamianos, and if you have a problem with that you can talk to his minigun.
    “I’m a Terrorist not an idiot.” - Me
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

13. - Top - End - #373
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Luka View Post
    Ugh....I hate grey and gray settings, it's harder to know who to pwn and everything....
    Kinda the point.

This setting is meant to be complex and deep. Is the bandit robbing you just doing it because he's an ass, or is he trying to get money to buy Radaway for his dying son? If that bandit tries to surrender, and you kill him anyway, is it justice... or murder? Nothing is meant to be crystal clear and spelled out plainly.

I mean, in the Fallout video games, there are some "bad guys" you actually lose Karma for killing. They seem like bad guys, but if you stop and get to know them, they're sometimes just misguided or misunderstood. Just line in real life, morality in Fallout, Fallout: Equestria, and most other games and settings is complicated, confusing, and far from black and white...

14. - Top - End - #374
    Titan in the Playground

That isn't to say you can't have characters that see things as black-and-white. On the contrary, Crusader-types, whether for good or for ill, can certainly add their own brand of spice to a setting. And like I've been saying, sometimes having an incredibly idealistic hero can help keep a group sticking together. Just be ready for those times when it's tricky to sort out who belongs where.
    Last edited by TheAmishPirate; 2012-10-31 at 08:49 PM.
    I'm developing a game. Let's see what happens! Complex.

15. - Top - End - #375
    Titan in the Playground

@Purity: Waiting on Violetta in the Northern thread.
    I'm developing a game. Let's see what happens! Complex.

16. - Top - End - #376
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    ...what?

Okay, time-out.

First of all, I meant the cousin on the train, not Eledwhen. You still have posted in over a week with the mare on the train, and we have no idea where she is or what her condition is. Considering that you never posted anything to say otherwise, she's probably among the slaves who got rounded up and tossed back on the train.

As for Eledwhen...

Okay, this is a problem. Who beat her up? Because the only groups that would beat her up are slavers and raiders. Slavers would have beaten her up, and then carried her off to Old Appleloosa. Raiders................. okay, if it was raiders, she's dead, and it wasn't a very nice death.

So, uh, you might not wanna say she got beat up, unless you want her to be a prisoner or a corpse.
    A LONE SCAVENGER.
    Spoiler
    Show
    This is the thief who likes to hoard,
    That loves the bard with the puppet Lord
    That admires the fighter with the green-hilted sword,
    That employs the Wizard, whose bird is ignored,
    That has the gender unexplored
    That intrigues the Halfling, usually bored,
    That slew a mountain of the goblin horde,
    That follows the cleric,
    That serves the lich,
    That seeks the gate,
    That guards the snarl,
    That lives in the prison the gods built.

guess what I was gone but now I'm back

17. - Top - End - #377
    Troll in the Playground

It helps to think of Swift Star as a fickle cat, moving to the accords of his whims. His sole reason probably to joining this train ride, was payment of his catnip, gemstones which power his magic.

If something amuses him, he might want it to be around longer. If it doesn't, he'll get bored it. If he's annoyed or aggravated he may start tearing up the couches and curtains or knocking over cups of kool aid onto the carpet, if one catches my drift. Consequences be darned. He already did extend his claws to a provoking slaver.

What amuses him varies, but most of it involves the lengths a person is willing to go to get what they want. Hence Elestre's freedom and his friends due to his willingness at the time to defend his friends at unlikely odds. The noble intention there amused him.

18. - Top - End - #378
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Elf Bard View Post
    A LONE SCAVENGER.
    Sure, that works, I guess. No need to yell, though.

Perhaps your newer character, who's name I can't seem to recall or know where to find, should try to help the slaves negotiate with Swift? Her idealism and whatnot may prove refreshing to the old ghoul...
    Last edited by Lycan 01; 2012-11-01 at 01:24 PM.

19. - Top - End - #379
    Troll in the Playground

And it still doesn't answer where Eledwhen's cousin whose name I forgot is at.

I will only presume they were in a separate train slaver cart, and it will be truth until proven otherwise.

20. - Top - End - #380
    Troll in the Playground

TyChris1, Maul Steel has been carrying the ghoul the whole time right? The 'keeping pace' line threw me off since the ghoul itself simply will not be walking on its own when it can barely turn its head.

21. - Top - End - #381
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Benson View Post
    TyChris1, Maul Steel has been carrying the ghoul the whole time right? The 'keeping pace' line threw me off since the ghoul itself simply will not be walking on its own when it can barely turn its head.
    Oh wow, really? Well then.... yeah. I thought it was just very aged and broken down, not THAT broken down. Course Maul would take breaks from carrying the ghoul. Floating/Carrying it the whole way through would be tiresome.
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

22. - Top - End - #382
    Troll in the Playground

The 'dead weight' crack was not just meant literally for a weak laugh-groan

I do see Maul dragging, carrying, taking a break before dragging and carrying again though, and setting him down right now as he goes loots.

23. - Top - End - #383
    Dwarf in the Playground

To those of you who can't remember, Eledwhen and Elestre's other relative is named Eleyew.

Mmph mmph mmphmm mphmph mmph!

The gag can come off when you're ready to stop taking shots at her, Night Jewel.
    When in doubt, use cute little dragons.

Game and roleplaying stuff.

The data is 1's and 0's. Life is the jazz. (Previous avatars)

24. - Top - End - #384
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Why, yes! Pineapple DOES carry around a large block of C-4 "For emergencies!"

Bonus points for Earth Pony Passive Magic buffing up her explosives.

25. - Top - End - #385
    Ettin in the Playground

Been meaning to finish Ducard for a while now. While playing grim and gritty chem dosing maniacs and cowards is fun and all, I can use a bit of good here and there. Not to mention I had all this stuff planned for him and then just kinda dropped it.

Would Luka and Associates mind pulling him out of a mud pit?
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

26. - Top - End - #386

Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    Been meaning to finish Ducard for a while now. While playing grim and gritty chem dosing maniacs and cowards is fun and all, I can use a bit of good here and there. Not to mention I had all this stuff planned for him and then just kinda dropped it.

Not at all. They really needed a new meat shield warrior in their party. He'd be very welcome.
    Characters in Lords of Creation games:
    Aquaeris, Flowing Sheen.
    Xacha, the Metal Serpent.
    Viltasa, the Evening Star.
    Yash-Ko, the Flame of the Void.
    Argul Lugra, Lord of the Eyes.
    Vriset, the Glassblower.
    Valendron, Ascending Wind.

Drow Lord avatar by Dread Angel.

27. - Top - End - #387
    Ettin in the Playground

Happy to oblige
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

28. - Top - End - #388
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Ponyville is a little worse off than when LilPip visited it.
    For a somewhat specific reason.

Enjoy.
    "Fear and creativity are conjoined twins."
    Absentee Spirit

29. - Top - End - #389
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Chaotic Bob View Post
    Ponyville is a little worse off than when LilPip visited it.
    For a somewhat specific reason.

Enjoy.
    Given the nightmarish psychic buzzing, my money's on Mesmer. Just saying.

30. - Top - End - #390
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post

Wait wait wait.

Can we stop and talk about new characters like this before just plunging headlong into the game with them? I'm very concerned about having another power armored ex-Steel Ranger running around.

The Steel Rangers do not let their gear and weapons go lightly. He would have either had to fight his way free, pull of a Metal Gear Solid worthy escape, or murder another Ranger for his armor at a later date. Also, I seem to recall that Lamianos' had to kill his brother or something to escape alive and keep/get his armor. So Ducard having quit to tag along with his "battle-brother" Lamianos seems... skewed. In many ways. And the Steel Rangers likely would have tried to kill him for siding with the "monsters" and trying to walk away from them, whether or not he was trying to steal power armor and weapons in the process. They'd have sent folks after him immediately, or hired folks to take him down.

So yeah. There are several balance and fluff problems with this. The character itself is fine, but decking him out in full power armor, with a heavy flamer and rail gun no less, is very problematic. He needs to have some really good reasons for having all that stuff.

Or maybe you could give him, you know, normal gear or something.

Plus, he'd have already sank and drowned if he fell into quicksand with all that on. That stuff weighs a ton.