New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Imp

Default Recognized authors, with style similar to Kings'?

Hey guys,

There are a few authors I really like and top of them is, well, the King. Besides him I like John Crichton, James Ellroy and Thomas Harris. I just love their vivid style and would ask for some more suggestions of writers of similar writing style.

When mentioning Stephen King, everyone is pushing me in the dictation of horror writers, but that is not what I am necessarily looking for. I am interested in this type of writing that makes in-book world so alive.

thanks

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Recognized authors, with style similar to Kings'?

Have you read King's non-fiction books? IIRC, he cites most of influences in there.

Anyway, assuming I am properly grokking the question, here are some names in no particular order: Clive Barker, Ray Bradbury, Peter Straub, Dan Simmons (his horror stuff, at least), Shirley Jackson, Robert Bloch, Charles L. Grant, Joe Hill, Ramsey Campbell, Dean Koontz (who is very hit-and-miss, so beware), Tom Tryon, Fritz Leiber (mostly his short horror stories) and, of course, H.P. Lovecraft.

Honestly, most of those are horror or horror-like, but I'm having a hard time thinking of anything with a similar style that doesn't fall close to the horror genre.
    Awesome Cyborg Doom Monkey avatar by Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins. Offer up your robo-bananas to him.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Try Robert Howard (he's got a lot of not-Conan stuff...not to say there is anything wrong with Conan!)...Hemingway comes to mind as well...

Oh, and I know King really likes Peter Straub, so maybe there's something there.

Regardless, read "On Writing" even if you're not interested in writing books...it is among the best Stephen King material I've read (and I love King!).

- M
    No matter where you go...there you are!

Holhokki Tapio - GitP Blood Bowl New Era Season I Champion
    Togashi Ishi - Betrayal at the White Temple
    Da Monsters of Da Midden - GitP Blood Bowl Manager Cup Season V-VI-VII

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Joe Hill has some similarities to him, though I've only read Heart Shaped Box.
    ... I came to appreciate that mountains make poor receptacles for dreams.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Don't read much King (Salem's Lot, the Stand, the Shining, and I think I've read one other book of his) but maybe try Poul Anderson. He's got good world-building and I was thinking about how he reminded me of Howard, Leiber, and Moorcock except his worlds felt a little more alive just earlier today.

Other than that I'd say Howard and Leiber because those are King's influences I can remember other than Lovecraft and they're both quite good authors. Leiber's Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser series is pretty vivid and alive, at least in the early and middle parts (I'll actually second the short stories part) and Howard gets a lot of good hits even if he has the occasional miss (mostly things published posthumously after editing/finishing by DeCamp).

This reminds me I need to try and get my hand on a copy of "On Writing".
    Peanut Half-Dragon Necromancer by Kurien.

Current Projects:

Group: The Harrowing Halloween Harvest of Horror Part 2

Personal Silliness: Vote what Soulknife "Fix"/Inspired Class Should I make??? Past Work Expansion Caricatures.

Old: My homebrew (updated 9/9)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Try early George RR Martin, particularly Fevre Dream and The Armageddon Rag. The Armageddon Rag is extremely Kingesque in tone and conception, and Fevre Dream is just a flat out excellent piece of fiction.
    Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat,
    When they shot him down on the highway,
    Down like a dog on the highway,
    And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat.

Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman, 1906.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

You could try Robert Jordan. Although much denser, his writing does have similarities to King's.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

The great Fritz Leiber was already mentioned twice. So I'll just add F. Paul Wilson - Midnight Mass, The Keep, The Tomb, Nightworld. AND the Repairman Jack series.
    Last edited by Bastian Weaver; 2013-05-18 at 11:12 AM.
    The last crazy minstrel.
    Creature avatar by The Giant.

Quote Originally Posted by Slipperychicken View Post
    At GITP, we don't just bite down on bait-hooks, we chew them thoroughly until the insides of our mouths are full of broken teeth, flesh-ribbons, and blood.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Richard Bachman?

Before I ever read Steven King, I stumbled across The Long Walk by Stephen King's alter-ego. I like the book, and it wasn't until King released The Bachman Books that I learned the two authors were the same man.

As for writing, check out King's Danse Macabre' as well as On Writing.
    Thanks to Ceika (X2), Yeril, Holammer and Dr. Bath for the Avatars!
    New Avatar, new form of self-destruction! Ceika is Beyond Awesome!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

it's been my experience that king is really inconsistent. the guy writes more than any other author im aware of, what were some books you like in particular?

would definitely help narrow the field.
    a tiny space dedicated to a beloved grandpa now passed. may every lunch be peanut butter-banana sandwiches.
    i has 2/4 an internets.
    old avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

gnome_4ever:

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

I remember reading Dean Koontz back in the day I was reading Stephen King, on account of getting the same sort of vibe from them..but this is some years ago, it may well be that the genre and subjects just were similar enough for me to "be into that" at the time (Chuck Palahniuk, anyone??).
    I do remember though that I finally got fed up with the endings of most of Dean Koontz's books I happened to read.
    All hail Smutmulch for crafting my avatar!
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    Cursed zombies are more realistic.
    Spoiler: siggatar and previous avatars.
    Show

the Badass Monkby Avi. Aktarus by Chd. Dehro by Wojiz

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

It's been years since I read any King, and I was never too impressed with him. And what do you mean by 'recognized'? Big name? How big? Are they published or not?

But if you are looking for vivd, engaging writers I can only mention some of my favorites. M. John Harrison, John Crowley and Gene Wolfe.
    Harrison's Viriconium stories are perhaps his most famous but his more recent Kefahuchi trilogy (Light, Nova Swing and Empty Space) are probably easier to get hold of. He is kind of bleak in many ways, but his prose is far more poetic and evocative than just about any poetry. I would start with "The Pastel City" (or a collection of all the Viriconium stories). It's earlier work and a tad more mainstream than his later stuff. "Light" is also very good, and you can do far worse as an introduction to his style.

Crowley is probably most famous for "Little, Big" which is probably a bit unfair because his other stuff is pretty amazing too, but it's a good place to start.

Gene Wolfe is probably the most SF/F of the three, though Harrison is solidly there, and is also the most prolific. I'd start with "The Book of the New Sun". If this doesn't catch your fancy, nothing of his will.