New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: SCP - Containment Breach

All the ones with extensive experiment logs are usually pretty interesting to me. I guess I just like the idea of playing around with ineffable forces and seeing what happens.

Examples: The Clockworks, Good Home Cooking, Pan-Dimensional Vending, The Coffee Machine...
    High School Harem Comedy, my original game system!

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by A Rainy Knight View Post
    All the ones with extensive experiment logs are usually pretty interesting to me. I guess I just like the idea of playing around with ineffable forces and seeing what happens.

Examples: The Clockworks, Good Home Cooking, Pan-Dimensional Vending, The Coffee Machine...
    Wow, 261 has officially freaked me out. They apparently predicted the Pepsi Dragon flavor that literally just came out like...a month ago, via "The X Factor". That's....creepy.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Colossus in the Playground

Is it just me, or are most of the humanoid SCPs dreadfully boring?
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    In general, yes. There's a couple that are interesting, but not many. I believe that part of the problem stems from the original "Sue Wars". There used to be a great many more human SCPs, most of whom were god-like beings in some form or another, but were eventually annihilated in the accompanying fictions when there grew to be far to many of them.
    It's now my belief that people are extremely cautious about submitting humanoid SCPs that are interesting lest they be taken as Sue's and taken down as a result.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Very much so, and it's deliberate. Like Aidan says, the site's members have a tremendous distrust of humanoid SCPs because of their tendency to become overpowered Insert Sues.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ettin in the Playground

Say, why is this in the gaming section? This is almost entirely media related.

7. - Top - End - #67

Because it started talking about the Containment Breach game, which isn't actually associated with the SCP Foundation in any official capacity. But you raise a good point.

Great Modthulhu: Mod powers activate! Form of a thread relocation!

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The SCP Foundation

Oooh, we got modded.
    LPs that I like to think I will get back to some day.

To Make a Fan: Let's Play Final Fantasy

Let's Play Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones

9. - Top - End - #69

Yeah, and if you all suddenly start talking about CB again now, I will be most displeased.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ettin in the Playground

One of my other fave SCPs where the living Legos. And as expected they where so much fun to experiment with that they where shipped to different bases to raise moral.

And when given to children to experiment too, 15 minutes later the whole area was a huge battlezone with transformers and tanks (Obviously)

The most funny part was at the end when they [Redacted] and the living legos [Find out for yourself]

11. - Top - End - #71
    Firbolg in the Playground

So.. how about that game, eh?

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Of course, there's to be a big update to CB on the 31st. I wouldn't be surprised if there was some talk about it afterwards
    Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    teleporting Hyper Nixon solves problems with Patriotism.

13. - Top - End - #73

A new thread in Gaming Other for the game specifically, with a link here for general Foundation/SCP chatter, would probably be the best idea.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Orc in the Playground

BardGirl

I can't enjoy SCP anymore.
    There's just so many terrible ones.

"IMMORTAL LIZARD. YOU CAN'T SHOOT IT INTO SPACE EITHER BECAUSE I SAY SO, OR A BLACK HOLE, OR ANOTHER DIMENSION. SHUT UP IT DOESN'T WORK."

"MAGIC HAMSTER THAT EATS YOUR EYEBALLS THROUGH TELEKINESIS OR SOME ****"

"Dozens of magical little girls and snuff videos!" (Thankfully they've cut down on this)

And then there's Cain and Able... just Cain and Able

I like the guide for harried housewives, the hitchhiker, UNlondon was pretty cool, and there's oodles of other neat stuff.
    But it's just... bleh?
    There needs to be some sort of vetting procedure here.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ettin in the Playground

Its called the like button. Just go to top rated for more interesting ones.

16. - Top - End - #76

Quote Originally Posted by Opperhapsen View Post
    I can't enjoy SCP anymore.
    There's just so many terrible ones.

"IMMORTAL LIZARD. YOU CAN'T SHOOT IT INTO SPACE EITHER BECAUSE I SAY SO, OR A BLACK HOLE, OR ANOTHER DIMENSION. SHUT UP IT DOESN'T WORK."

"MAGIC HAMSTER THAT EATS YOUR EYEBALLS THROUGH TELEKINESIS OR SOME ****"

"Dozens of magical little girls and snuff videos!" (Thankfully they've cut down on this)

And then there's Cain and Able... just Cain and Able

I like the guide for harried housewives, the hitchhiker, UNlondon was pretty cool, and there's oodles of other neat stuff.
    But it's just... bleh?
    There needs to be some sort of vetting procedure here.
    Heck, if you think the ones that are still on the site are bad, you should see the ones that didn't get past the 'vetting procedure', i.e. got downvoted and deleted. It's like a Ripley's Believe It Or Not show of awful writing and stupid ideas, completely aside from the ones that were so awful they got official decommissionings.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Orc in the Playground

BardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Heck, if you think the ones that are still on the site are bad, you should see the ones that didn't get past the 'vetting procedure', i.e. got downvoted and deleted. It's like a Ripley's Believe It Or Not show of awful writing and stupid ideas, completely aside from the ones that were so awful they got official decommissionings.
    The holy grails was a decent SCP removed because they had decided not to do more bible stuff.
    Just saying.
    Last edited by Opperhapsen; 2012-10-27 at 11:17 AM.

18. - Top - End - #78

Quote Originally Posted by Opperhapsen View Post
    The holy grails was a decent SCP removed because they had decided not to do more bible stuff.
    Just saying.
    Also because it was typo-ridden and basically just a copypaste out of the Indiana Jones movie script. At least, that's what I remember of two or three different Holy Grail SCPs, all of which were equally bad. Just saying.

Though even if the one you're talking about was above the cut, you're illuminating the point: There are so many religious/bible-themed SCPs that it has to be exceptional, not simply decent, to make the cut, a fact that is consistent...the more cliched/overused your idea/theme, the higher the expected starting bar is. Actually original concepts get more slack.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2012-10-27 at 12:40 PM.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Firbolg in the Playground

So, what's everyone's preferred SCP-001? My favorite is the Spiral Path. It just looks so harmless, leaving you wondering, how is can this be the fable SCP-001?

And then you read the story...

Unrelated: I know it's an old comment, but:
    Quote Originally Posted by Spuddles View Post
    Kind of like that Alduous Huxley story about the boy in the room that has to suffer a horrible abused alone hungry life so that this city can be a utopia. At everyone's coming of age, they are shown the boy and given the choice to leave the city. Those that stay get an endless party, always knowning in the back of their mind the enormous cost they pay.
    It was a LeGuin story, actually. "The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas."
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Bugbear in the Playground

I don't like the world-endingly powerful or apocalyptic ones, with a couple rare exceptions (the history book that adds to itself whenever it's near ink or blood and is retroactively changing history comes to mind).

Ones with extensive and creative experiment logs are fun, especially the ones that just star random agents and D-class personnel. I'm not the biggest fan of the recurring doctors.

One idea that I had that I'll probably never write up was a gas station attendant who, when asked, would give accurate turn by turn directions to anywhere. Including R'lyeh, Atlantis, and top secret government sites that he shouldn't even know about. He's otherwise completely normal

I never thought up a full experiment log, but the punchline was 'any personnel asking SCP-whatever if he can tell them how to get, how to get to Sesame Street will be terminated immediately. It's not funny the 50th time, you guys'
    Last edited by Eakin; 2012-10-27 at 11:38 AM.
    Proof-reading is totally unnecessary in the digital age now that we have spell cheque.

Pony thread's official Element of Youtube

21. - Top - End - #81

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Very much so, and it's deliberate. Like Aidan says, the site's members have a tremendous distrust of humanoid SCPs because of their tendency to become overpowered Insert Sues.
    No, I don't mean they're weak and thus boring. I mean they're just boring. "Oh it's a human but they have mystee~eerious powers". Aside from a couple of them like 231, they're all so incredibly tiresome.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

22. - Top - End - #82

No, I don't mean they're weak and thus boring. I mean they're just boring. "Oh it's a human but they have mystee~eerious powers". Aside from a couple of them like 231, they're all so incredibly tiresome.
    That's also what I mean. The site's culture regards any sort of unusual humanoid SCP as being cliche, overpowered, or Sue-ish, or just lame. Thus, the only ones that get enough upvotes to stick around without accumulating enough downvotes to get erased are the bland, non-offensive ones.

23. - Top - End - #83

Then what's the point of making humanoid SCPs in the first place?
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

24. - Top - End - #84

Most people don't. The majority of humanoids on the site are legacies from before the anti-humanoid attitude developed, and/or why they developed, in a Seinfeld is Unfunny (find the trope yourself) sort of way; it's generally agreed that if Able was posted as a newbie SCP today, he would get hammered into oblivion. It's even flagged in the Newbie Guide that a Humanoid SCP is a risky first attempt, since it's more likely than a non-humanoid to get downvoted. Like the other assorted cliches, it has to either be bland enough that people won't downvote, or super-awesome enough to get them to upvote anyways. It's a lot easier to do the former than the latter.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2012-10-27 at 01:02 PM.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Titan in the Playground

Because we are our own worst nightmare.
    Also, Uncanny Valley.
    "If you see something that... looks human and isn't, you keep your eyes on it and you feel for your hatchet." to quote Mr. Beaver.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ettin in the Playground

When did this whole "Anti-Humanoid SCP" thing start? Is that why they offed(well, more or less) Dr. Bright? :-( He was one of my favorites.

27. - Top - End - #87

Quote Originally Posted by Starwulf View Post
    When did this whole "Anti-Humanoid SCP" thing start? Is that why they offed(well, more or less) Dr. Bright? :-( He was one of my favorites.
    Huh? Dr. Bright's (technically) not an SCP...his schtick has been there since the very beginning, he was technically 'killed' in backstory before ever being created.

28. - Top - End - #88

I found the SCP Wiki a couple weeks ago and have been reading it ever since. I'll add my vote for favorite so far to The Stairwell - it was really hard to walk down the stairs to my room that night.

Is there a simple run-down of the recurring characters on the site? Particularly Bright, Clef, and Krow? I get a lot of hints and pieces, but I'm confused as to where they started and what they're doing. I think I get that Clef is supposed to be very mysterious and will never have an actual explanation for anything, but is there an explanation as to why Bright keeps switching bodies?

29. - Top - End - #89
    Banned

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Spuddles View Post
    Spoiler alert: it's rape.

They rape her.

Hope I didn't ruin anything.

Kind of like that Alduous Huxley story about the boy in the room that has to suffer a horrible abused alone hungry life so that this city can be a utopia. At everyone's coming of age, they are shown the boy and given the choice to leave the city. Those that stay get an endless party, always knowning in the back of their mind the enormous cost they pay.

I think I like Huxley's version better than herp-derp-rape.
    From Site's FAQ:

What exactly is Procedure 110-Montauk? Let's ask the experts, shall we?

An amateur shadowcast of the Rocky Horror picture Show.

Giving SCP-231 a plate of the driest chocolate chip cookies - with no milk. All the rest of the people required by the containment procedures watch and laugh at her.

Well, you see, first you [REDACTED] until the elephant begins to trumpet, spurting the [REDACTED] holding her upside down over a bed of live cobras, wherein [REDACTED] but you have to make sure you do it no more then three [REDACTED] Barbra Streisand's Greatest Hits [REDACTED] over seventeen feet long, but that's not the worst part, because the staple remover [REDACTED] make absolutely sure that the feather boa is black and not dark blue, or else you risk [REDACTED] followed by the plutonium splitting the atom, until [REDACTED] and that's it, really.

Here's the deal. It's never said, and the author has laughed in the face of everyone whose asked. Remember: whatever you think happened to her, you're the one that did it. It came out of your head. You're the bastard torturing this poor girl. That is the fundamental nature of the page.
    Personaly i think SCP is better then lovecraft-

Because inonicaly lovecraft doesnt feel alien enough.

His stuff is just a mix of tentacles and body parts.
    You ever actually read Lovecraft? because I can name only 1. ONE. of his creations that has tentacles.

Pretty much. Cthulu isn't as scary anymore.

The scariest things are the stuff that is unexplained.
    Nothing is explained about Cthulhu. He stopped being scary only because pop-culture made him an icon and started putting his face on damn everything, while forcing that image of squid-headed dragon on us and stating him for games or writing fanfictions where loser like Elminster beats him up. He is a god, you don't beat him, you don't stop him, you don't make him befriend Kenny, you just die. It's not Lovecraft's fault that people ruined his creation jut like it's not Ridley Scott's fault people ruined the Aliens with various crappy cash-ins on them (and I am Aliens and Aliens Vs Predator fan but seriously, when you make them Predators favorite prey, they lose a lot of their Lovecraftian terror).

Still boring. Somehow thier supposed to drive me insane...But they kind of don't.

They are just more "Oogly boogley" monsters. I see more messed up stuff on Episodes of Generator Rex
    You are focusing too much on your eyes and the monster, while not focusing on implications of aid monster existing and what position it puts us on. You simply don't get Lovecraft.
    Last edited by Man on Fire; 2012-10-27 at 06:09 PM.

30. - Top - End - #90

NecromancerGuy

I wrote a couple of SCPs a year or so back which I think are still on there. Keep meaning to write another involving bats which eat radiowaves, but haven't got round to it yet...

SCP is quite interesting as a community really. I get the feeling that there are a fair few people who really care about the quality of the stuff on the site, and provied you respect that they seem quite willing to give you a chance and help out. On the other hand, the very worst thing to do is post something without getting any feedback or even proof reading it... they tear them apart.
    Evil round every corner, careful not to step in any.