Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 61 to 75 of 75
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    DwarfClericGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2011

    Default Re: Has there been a game mechanical effect that proves Belkar is evil?

    Quote Originally Posted by Caractacus View Post
    Well, this is a good point.

    Your one about the evil adventuring party was not thought through though - else good-aligned adventurers would have a lot of trouble being allowed to Plane Shift into the Lower Planes for fun and frolics there...
    My position is that people can go to an aligned plane without having the alignment of that plane. So good-aligned adventurers being able to visit the Lower Planes supports my position.

  2. - Top - End - #62
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Winter's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2012

    Default Re: Has there been a game mechanical effect that proves Belkar is evil?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tebryn View Post
    Except there is no Game Mechanic for that.
    You mean "The Lawul Good afterlife is only for people who are deemed Lawful Good by the Lawful Good authorities" is not game mechanical? Sorry, it's not getting more game mechanical, there isn't even a spell or die roll, it is a plain yes or no decision based on your alignment. There is nothing else in the rules that is more strictly tied to the alignment than "if(align==x) YES else NO".

    The problem is not that someone else can Plane Shift in but that Roy got through the Main Gate the Way It Is Supposed To Be.
    Last edited by Winter; 2012-10-27 at 04:34 AM.
    Ser Ilyn, Ser Meryn, Queen Cersei, King Joffrey, The Tickler, The Hound, Ser Amory, Polliver, Raff the Sweetling, Weese, Dunsen, Nale, Ser Gregor Clegane and Chiswyck: Winter is coming!

  3. - Top - End - #63
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    DwarfClericGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2011

    Default Re: Has there been a game mechanical effect that proves Belkar is evil?

    Quote Originally Posted by Winter View Post
    You mean "The Lawul Good afterlife is only for people who are deemed Lawful Good by the Lawful Good authorities" is not game mechanical?
    It's a little bit iffy. Things can be used in ways other than what they are meant for, and saying that a place is only for certain people is more like saying that only those people should enter than that only those people can enter.

    "Only people who are deemed Lawful Good by the Lawful Good authorities may enter the Lawful Good afterlife through the front door" is a game mechanical statement. But using it to determine Roy's alignment runs into two problems.

    Firstly, "being deemed Lawful Good by the Lawful Good authorities" is not the same as "being Lawful Good". Mythologies contain a number of stories of people tricking their way past guardians of various afterlifes, and it's technically possible that something of that nature is happening here.

    Secondly, as far as I'm aware, this mechanic is not a standard D&D mechanic. If it's not, and the Giant hasn't house-ruled it in, we can't use it as mechanical evidence. If we want to prove things with it, we need to show that it's in use.
    Last edited by theNater; 2012-10-27 at 12:43 PM. Reason: Grammar adjustment

  4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2007

    Default Re: Has there been a game mechanical effect that proves Belkar is evil?

    Quote Originally Posted by Winter View Post
    You mean "The Lawul Good afterlife is only for people who are deemed Lawful Good by the Lawful Good authorities" is not game mechanical? Sorry, it's not getting more game mechanical, there isn't even a spell or die roll, it is a plain yes or no decision based on your alignment. There is nothing else in the rules that is more strictly tied to the alignment than "if(align==x) YES else NO".

    The problem is not that someone else can Plane Shift in but that Roy got through the Main Gate the Way It Is Supposed To Be.
    No, it's not game mechanical. I'd like you to cite me the rule that it's based off. It's purely role playing. The problem you cite isn't the problem. The problem is there aren't any rules governing who gets into the Afterlife in D&D that isn't completely subjective or up to the DM.
    Last edited by Tebryn; 2012-10-27 at 01:51 PM.

  5. - Top - End - #65
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    MichaelGoldclaw's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ladson, South Carolina
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Has there been a game mechanical effect that proves Belkar is evil?

    Lets take this in a different perspective

    You would think to overcome a mental illness requires a will save. When V cast Owl's Wisdom (increasing his will save) he was thinking about not killing anymore

    Friendship with slavers - doing it because of selfish reasons (gold) which is neutral

    also it seems like Rich is avoiding a direct mechanic to prove Belkar's alignment.
    Whatever I do, I make sure to tell Sun Tzu to shut up and sit down and show him how it is done.
    Fight my brute.
    avatar by: Herpestidae

  6. - Top - End - #66
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Winter's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2012

    Default Re: Has there been a game mechanical effect that proves Belkar is evil?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tebryn View Post
    No, it's not game mechanical. I'd like you to cite me the rule that it's based off. It's purely role playing. The problem you cite isn't the problem. The problem is there aren't any rules governing who gets into the Afterlife in D&D that isn't completely subjective or up to the DM.
    We are not talking about D&D in general here but about Rich's OotS-verse. How do the Afterlifes work? We have no idea. We only know is seems to be an alignment based system.

    Now, given that the Deva determines Roy's alignment it stands to assume it got determined as LG or he would not let into it (as, well, it is for LG types and they seem pretty strict about their rules ("by the book").
    No matter if Roy was actually before, after this Key-scene he is LG.

    Given Rich has not written a Campagin Settting this is as rule mechanical as it gets.

    If you want rules: You do not let get into the Talos afterlife in the FR (in Core you also have deity based afterlives) if you are no workshipper of Talos. The rules state you go to your respective afterlife based on your god, which is the same for Alignment-afterlives.
    It makes no sense whatsever to have align-afterlives and then let in anyone who "roughly" qualifies.
    Last edited by Winter; 2012-10-28 at 03:16 AM.
    Ser Ilyn, Ser Meryn, Queen Cersei, King Joffrey, The Tickler, The Hound, Ser Amory, Polliver, Raff the Sweetling, Weese, Dunsen, Nale, Ser Gregor Clegane and Chiswyck: Winter is coming!

  7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Lizardfolk

    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: Has there been a game mechanical effect that proves Belkar is evil?

    Aaaaaaaaand I think this thread has officially lost all pretense of not being a "let's beat the pulverized smear that was once a horse one more time, because apparently some people just won't listen" Belkar's Alignment thread.

  8. - Top - End - #68
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Winter's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2012

    Default Re: Has there been a game mechanical effect that proves Belkar is evil?

    Last I looked we were arguing over Roy's alignment and if a Deva saying "you are LG" in an official Post-Death-Examination if he is actually LG to get into the LG afterlife means he actually has to be LG. I find it a bit odd there is disagreement, but... it is much less odd than people claiming there is no proof for Belkar being evil.
    Ser Ilyn, Ser Meryn, Queen Cersei, King Joffrey, The Tickler, The Hound, Ser Amory, Polliver, Raff the Sweetling, Weese, Dunsen, Nale, Ser Gregor Clegane and Chiswyck: Winter is coming!

  9. - Top - End - #69
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    DwarfClericGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2011

    Default Re: Has there been a game mechanical effect that proves Belkar is evil?

    Quote Originally Posted by Winter View Post
    Last I looked we were arguing over Roy's alignment and if a Deva saying "you are LG" in an official Post-Death-Examination if he is actually LG to get into the LG afterlife means he actually has to be LG. I find it a bit odd there is disagreement, but... it is much less odd than people claiming there is no proof for Belkar being evil.
    We have sufficient evidence to conclude that Roy is Lawful Good. One major piece of evidence is that the deva, upon analysis, determined that he is Lawful Good. But there's a difference between evidence and game mechanical proof, and the deva's conclusion is the former, not the latter.

    It is kept in the realm of evidence rather than proof for several reasons. Because this is the OOtSverse afterlife specifically, a key thing keeping it from being proof is the fact that divine beings, and deva in particular, can make mistakes. Note a deva who hands a file to Eugene, mistakenly believing that he will share its information with Roy. Also note that the divine forces of good had to discontinue a service due to unintentional colon tumors. Given the history, I'd be very surprised to learn nobody ever got into the Lawful Good afterlife due to a paperwork mix up.

  10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Lizardfolk

    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: Has there been a game mechanical effect that proves Belkar is evil?

    Quote Originally Posted by Winter View Post
    Last I looked we were arguing over Roy's alignment and if a Deva saying "you are LG" in an official Post-Death-Examination if he is actually LG to get into the LG afterlife means he actually has to be LG. I find it a bit odd there is disagreement, but... it is much less odd than people claiming there is no proof for Belkar being evil.
    I was referring to this post:

    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelGoldclaw View Post
    Lets take this in a different perspective

    You would think to overcome a mental illness requires a will save. When V cast Owl's Wisdom (increasing his will save) he was thinking about not killing anymore

    Friendship with slavers - doing it because of selfish reasons (gold) which is neutral

    also it seems like Rich is avoiding a direct mechanic to prove Belkar's alignment.

  11. - Top - End - #71
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Kish's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2004

    Default Re: Has there been a game mechanical effect that proves Belkar is evil?

    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelGoldclaw View Post
    Lets take this in a different perspective

    You would think to overcome a mental illness requires a will save. When V cast Owl's Wisdom (increasing his will save) he was thinking about not killing anymore

    Friendship with slavers - doing it because of selfish reasons (gold) which is neutral

    also it seems like Rich is avoiding a direct mechanic to prove Belkar's alignment.
    Good thing no one's cast Unholy Blight on Belkar and that no one in this thread has mentioned them doing so, or that last sentence would cause my eyes to roll out of my head.

    Now excuse me, I have to go chase my eyes down the stairs, I'll need them to comment on the "sociopath=neutral, you're only evil if you're a cackling cartoon villain" assumption in the next-to-last sentence.
    Spoiler
    Show
    "You are what you do. Choose again, and change." --Miles Vorkosigan

    "The really unforgivable acts are committed by calm men in beautiful green silk rooms, who deal death wholesale, by the shipload, without lust, or anger, or desire, or any redeeming emotion to excuse them but cold fear of some pretended future. But the crimes they hope to prevent in the future are imaginary. The ones they commit in the present--they are real." --Aral Vorkosigan

    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    This, in a nutshell.
    Yes, exactly.

  12. - Top - End - #72
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Winter's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2012

    Default Re: Has there been a game mechanical effect that proves Belkar is evil?

    Quote Originally Posted by ti'esar View Post
    I was referring to this post:
    Yes, my mind refuses to read stuff that makes it choke itself out of non-understanding where that might come from (based on what has been written before (more than once) in the discussion).
    Ser Ilyn, Ser Meryn, Queen Cersei, King Joffrey, The Tickler, The Hound, Ser Amory, Polliver, Raff the Sweetling, Weese, Dunsen, Nale, Ser Gregor Clegane and Chiswyck: Winter is coming!

  13. - Top - End - #73
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    rewinn's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Seattle
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Has there been a game mechanical effect that proves Belkar is evil?

    Quote Originally Posted by Winter View Post
    Yes, my mind refuses to read stuff that makes it choke itself out of non-understanding where that might come from (based on what has been written before (more than once) in the discussion).
    Can threads have alignments?

    Cuz if so, I'd nominate this one for Chaotic Evil, although I'm not sure how to execute a game mechanic to illustrate it.

  14. - Top - End - #74
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2007

    Default Re: Has there been a game mechanical effect that proves Belkar is evil?

    Quote Originally Posted by rewinn View Post
    Can threads have alignments?

    Cuz if so, I'd nominate this one for Chaotic Evil, although I'm not sure how to execute a game mechanic to illustrate it.
    Well, I know I wouldn't object if you could find a way to Smite it... ;)
    95 K1500 Z71 XCSB 6.5 4L80-E

  15. - Top - End - #75
    Orc in the Playground
     
    MonkGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Swansea, UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Has there been a game mechanical effect that proves Belkar is evil?

    Quote Originally Posted by rewinn View Post
    Can threads have alignments?

    Cuz if so, I'd nominate this one for Chaotic Evil, although I'm not sure how to execute a game mechanic to illustrate it.
    Nah - I'd nominate it for CN. Totally chaotic and self-centered. No outward view on good or evil. Yep, CN.*

    Have Fun!
    Niknokitueu
    *At least, this thread has yet to butcher anyone in cold blood, which makes it almost CG in outlook :p
    Join the HackMaster revolution (now new and improved: 5th Ed HackMaster!)
    Getting the Hack on since 2001 - I like my AD&D 'Old School'.

    Psyren:
    "Just want to point out that if your argument for [Durkula being] LG relies on pointing to Miko, you may need to rethink it from the ground up."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •