New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

Default Awesome co-op games

I'm looking for a new co-op game so I thought I'd come here and get everyone to reminisce about their favourite co-op games for some inspiration.

So to start us off I'll list some of my favourite

The Mystical Ninja 2 staring Goemon
    Zombies ates my neighbours
    Alien Hominid
    Tales of Symphonia
    Scott Pilgrim vs. the world

I have such fond memories of playing the Mystical ninja 2 on my n64 back in the day with its side scrolling platforming goodness, giant mech fight boss battles, hidden costumes and an amusing story. What I wouldn't give for a wii shop download for this, or Zombies ate my neighbours.

So if anyone knows of a good co-op game, one that's not too hard as I'll be playing with a casual gamer, maybe something with s Ratchet and Clank or original Spyro feel to it.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Default Re: Awesome co-op games

So many great co-op games out there. For you, I'd recommend going for one of the Lego series games though, great co-op experience and casual gamer friendly.

That said, what are our console options besides Wii?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

If you like shooters even a little bit then there ain't no co-op like Borderlands (2) co-op. Gaige/the Mechromancer class has a skill tree designed specifically for non-shooter players, which should keep things from getting too hard for your friend.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm going to offer up Dungeon Defenders. A Tower Defense/RPG fusion that's a whole lot of fun with the more people you can play with. With constant support (A lot of it free) and a bucket load of DLC ranging from levels to classes the game never gets to dull for a light romp of play. I would also offer up Left 4 Dead 2 though it may be a bit hard on the casual player.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

There is no co-op game better than Left 4 Dead 2. Period.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

What systems, and are you talking Co-op in person or over multiple consoles?
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tebryn View Post
    I'm going to offer up Dungeon Defenders. A Tower Defense/RPG fusion that's a whole lot of fun with the more people you can play with. With constant support (A lot of it free) and a bucket load of DLC ranging from levels to classes the game never gets to dull for a light romp of play. I would also offer up Left 4 Dead 2 though it may be a bit hard on the casual player.
    You obviously play it on PC. All that awesome support you're talking about? Nowhere to be found on Xbox. There's the level DLCs and that's about it. We didn't even get the other characters.
    Awesome avatar by Kurien.

Good Decisions come from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Decisions. Bad Decisions come from Tequila.

I am B.
    Are you B?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

We have access to xbox360, ps1-3, snes to wii and I've been thinking of getting a new megadrive, so age isn't really a problem though availability might be.

Neither of us huge shooter fans, shooter elements are fine but some kind of auto-lock would have to involved. I didn't know about that class in Boarderlands so I will look into that for myself and my more shooter inclined friends.

The lego games are a good suggestion we enjoyed both of the Lego Harry Potters and will getting the Lego LotR when I comes out,

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

I believe the Portal games have a co-op mode. I know Portal 2 has one, but I'm not completely certain about Portal 1. In case you haven't played it before, Portal is an excellent puzzle type game requiring decent problem solving skills. The single player mode is rather amusing and I highly recommend it.
    "Ivanova is always right. I will listen to Ivanova. I will not ignore Ivanova's recommendations. Ivanova is God. And if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out. Babylon Control out."

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Zetapup View Post
    I believe the Portal games have a co-op mode. I know Portal 2 has one, but I'm not completely certain about Portal 1. In case you haven't played it before, Portal is an excellent puzzle type game requiring decent problem solving skills. The single player mode is rather amusing and I highly recommend it.
    The original Portal has no multiplayer.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by darkbuu_1 View Post
    Neither of us huge shooter fans, shooter elements are fine but some kind of auto-lock would have to involved. I didn't know about that class in Boarderlands so I will look into that for myself and my more shooter inclined friends.
    Gaige is DLC, $10 I think. The "Best Friends Forever" skill tree is the one you want. One of the first skills in it you can get gives your missed shots a 12% chance per point (max five points = 60%) to ricochet into enemies for half damage; not a lock-on per se, but it's about the next best thing. The rest of the tree is dedicated alternately to boosting your survivability and twinking out the character's fully-autonomous killer robot buddy.
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm looking for a new co-op game so I thought I'd come here and get everyone to reminisce about their favourite co-op games for some inspiration.

So to start us off I'll list some of my favourite

The Mystical Ninja 2 staring Goemon
    Zombies ates my neighbours
    Alien Hominid
    Tales of Symphonia
    Scott Pilgrim vs. the world

I have such fond memories of playing the Mystical ninja 2 on my n64 back in the day with its side scrolling platforming goodness, giant mech fight boss battles, hidden costumes and an amusing story. What I wouldn't give for a wii shop download for this, or Zombies ate my neighbours.

So if anyone knows of a good co-op game, one that's not too hard as I'll be playing with a casual gamer, maybe something with s Ratchet and Clank or original Spyro feel to it.
    Wasn't there an R&C coop game that came out several months back? All 4 One, was it?

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Krade View Post
    You obviously play it on PC. All that awesome support you're talking about? Nowhere to be found on Xbox. There's the level DLCs and that's about it. We didn't even get the other characters.
    Yes, and I'm aware of the issues but they're a small company and they can't really afford the class platform stuff. It's quite expansive. They made a pretty long and involved post on their site about it. The game is still fun with just the 4 classes regardless.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Barbarian in the Playground

Games I enjoyed playing with fellow university students:

Castle Crashers is pretty fun and accessible. Played it with university students and my 10 year old brother. Success with everyone. My bro and I are playing Sacred 2 right now and its got some not insignificant flaws, but we both like it.

A little more off the beaten path is Culdcept. Combine Monopoly with Magic: the Gathering and you'd get something pretty close to Culdcept. The campaign is single player, but you can play co-op against other humans or the computer in versus. There's a sequel too I believe, and imagine both are quite cheap.
    Szilard has all of those sweet trophies for a reason. Awesome avatar is his handiwork.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

It's a little bit more serious than castle crashers but Lord of the Rings: War in the North is a good game and something I really enjoyed running through with a buddy of mine. There's 3 characters, who all play quite different, and you can play with up to 3 people online if that's the kind of thing you are looking for.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Contra. The original. No Konami Kode.

Three lives, and you can kill your buddy if you scroll too fast. Oh, and you can steal lives from your buddy as well. Fun times.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

I've played through Kirby Super Star (Fun Pack in EU) with a friend 2 weeks ago. Just rushing through it, but it was still fun. beat the whole game in one evening (and like 1 treasure in the Great Cave Offensive)

Castle Crashers, as mentioned is awesome to play with a friend, but gets better with more of course. While on the subject of beat 'm ups, TMNT Turtle in Time for SNES is pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by ShneekeyTheLost View Post
    Contra. The original. No Konami Kode.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Homebrew:
    The inFAMOUS Conduit base class. Wow I actually finished it...
    The Darksiders base class, based on the videogame with the same name.

I also draw some stuff here, Gamespectre on Deviantart

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Magicka, anyone?
    Truth resists simplicity.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Also, Minecraft on the 360. The split screen fun works so well for the genre.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RoyVG View Post
    I've played through Kirby Super Star (Fun Pack in EU) with a friend 2 weeks ago. Just rushing through it, but it was still fun. beat the whole game in one evening (and like 1 treasure in the Great Cave Offensive)
    That reminds me: Kirby's Epic Yarn, a.k.a. the single most adorable thing in the history of adorableness.

Kirby's Return to Dreamland if you want more classic-style Kirby action.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

We have access to xbox360, ps1-3, snes to wii and I've been thinking of getting a new megadrive, so age isn't really a problem though availability might be.

The lego games are a good suggestion we enjoyed both of the Lego Harry Potters and will getting the Lego LotR when I comes out,
    Speaking as someone who normally abhors shooters, Borderlands and Borderlands 2 are some of my favorite games of all time.

So even if you're not into shooters, give it a shot.

Fair warning though, you'll need to wait a few levels until you get some of your skills to see what makes the game so fun.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

A friend and me always enjoyed the various LEGO X games. Indiana Jones is brilliant, especially! It's a bit simplistic, but great fun, even for grown ups.
    Si non confectus, non reficiat.

The beautiful girl is courtesy of Serpentine
    My S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripjat Let's Play! Please give it a read, more than one constant reader would be nice!

23. - Top - End - #23
    Spamalot in the Playground

My favorite classic co-op games:

Contra
    Rampage
    TMNT: Arcade Game
    Double Dragon 2
    Super Bomberman

My favorite modern co-op games:
    Portal 2
    Torchlight 2
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Magicka. Magicka Magicka Magicka.

That game is hilarious to play with friends.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Drascin View Post
    Magicka. Magicka Magicka Magicka.

That game is hilarious to play with friends. people who you used to call friends
    FtfY

Worms team game 1 CPU (hard) vs 2 humans...
    smart moneys on the CPU "player"
    Spoiler
    Show

Avatars by various artists my thanks to them all

i won silver Protoss itp... and a Magtok!
    Quote Originally Posted by dsmiles View Post
    I know you...kind of...the hippie is always picking on you...
    Quote Originally Posted by smellie_hippie View Post
    The local Troglanders have decreed that Archie was victorious for actually bringing a KNIFE to a Skype fight.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Pixie in the Playground

Orcs Must Die 2! is a fantastic co-op game.