Page 1 of 26 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Aldhaven Vicious Betrayals - OOC

Aldhaven Vicious Betrayals Out of Character Thread

Some basic rules:
    • Do not reveal details about your PC to others.
    • Do not spread knowledge and results of your actions.
    • Rules questions are still best asked directly at your own thread.
    • You can share fun facts. You can discuss ideas and thoughts as long as you don't divulge knowledge learned in game that the other players can't legally know.
    • Don't try to push the rules or otherwise be intentionally obtuse.
    Last edited by Rizban; 2012-10-18 at 02:28 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Aldhaven Vicious Betrayals - OOC

Since this isn't specified anywhere I was wondering whether in the main IC thread, are all mechanics and hidden actions held in the spoiler boxes? I just want to be sure, since I haven't looked in them in case that's what it is.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Basic rule of thumb is to not post anything in there you don't want other players to be able to see. There's no requirement for using spoiler tags on anything. It's left up to the player.
    If I've helped you out, please check out some my homebrew and post in the threads. Thank you.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Fivefold Paths of Magic

Rizban's E6 Compendium
    The Kreen of the Desert - Races, classes, feats, and more

Full Homebrew List

Aldhaven: Vicious Betrayals - May 27, 2010 to May 27, 2013.

Quod tibi vis fieri, facias.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

I HEAVILY apologize for coming in here, but I feel I owe an explanation for my edits in the main thread.

At first I had her say her average wages were 21
    I forgot the +2 comp from my class, and +2 from the Merchant's outfit.

The merchant's outfit, is basically a semi-formal, semi-casual, outfit that is basically fluff for a masterwork tool. The circumstance bonus comes from the mark of a guild or in this case the temple of the merchant god.

I felt since I made the edits, I needed to explain this so no one thinks I was cheating.
    Last edited by Morithias; 2012-10-21 at 01:41 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

I spotted the changes and didn't notice anything untoward going on. You're fine.
    If I've helped you out, please check out some my homebrew and post in the threads. Thank you.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Fivefold Paths of Magic

Rizban's E6 Compendium

Full Homebrew List

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    I spotted the changes and didn't notice anything untoward going on. You're fine.
    Ironically I also missed another bonus, but we'll just say 25 cause it's a nice number that ends in 5. Maybe she's underpaid.

Thanks for being understanding. I better whip out a spreadsheet or something for my actual shop. I don't need to miscalculate my profit mod and end up on the streets with loan sharks down my throat.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

anthropomorphic loan sharks at that.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Fivefold Paths of Magic

Rizban's E6 Compendium

Full Homebrew List

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

At a certain later point in the game, would anybody be willing to be part of an expedition to the docks at night just to see what actually lurks there?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Sure! I'm up for it!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Fivefold Paths of Magic

Rizban's E6 Compendium

Full Homebrew List

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

No, but if enough people die then the we can rack up some more IC clues as to what is there.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Firbolg in the Playground

I have some other plans first, then I'll roll some Gather Information to see how those guys in the obituries died. If it's not too imposing I'm up for it.
    Not a member of the Bayesian Conspiracy. Honestly. Probably. Maybe.
    Find your own priors!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Banned

Sorry no. Not for me. However once I setup shop, feel free to drop by and make purchases. Also my next plan is to open a brewery so in a year or so, expect lots of nice fine rum and mead to enjoy in the tavern.

:)

Sorry for rejecting the docks thing, but this woman is a master/merchant prince she's not one for getting in danger if she can avoid it, and at night, the docks are dangerous.

She'll gladly fund anything to aid the city's needy though if she can afford it.
    Last edited by Morithias; 2012-10-22 at 01:19 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Actually, when I was running my own PC, I survived a night in the docks. Granted that we had a party of six people and only four of us survived. The other three have all since died as a result of that excursion, and my character is only still alive due to being highly paranoid and spending way too much money on protecting himself from the horrors that still seek his blood.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Fivefold Paths of Magic

Rizban's E6 Compendium

Full Homebrew List

14. - Top - End - #14
    Banned

Actually, when I was running my own PC, I survived a night in the docks. Granted that we had a party of six people and only four of us survived. The other three have all since died as a result of that excursion, and my character is only still alive due to being highly paranoid and spending way too much money on protecting himself from the horrors that still seek his blood.
    It is clear that the dock needs to be aided and repaired or something in that case. When I get the money I shall repair the dock and see it made safe for the city! Innocents much be protected!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Good luck.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Fivefold Paths of Magic

Rizban's E6 Compendium

Full Homebrew List

16. - Top - End - #16
    Banned

Good luck.
    Why do I feel like I just signed my own death warrant?

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by Morithias View Post
    It is clear that the dock needs to be aided and repaired or something in that case. When I get the money I shall repair the dock and see it made safe for the city! Innocents much be protected!
    I have the feeling the better strategy would be to burn the place to the ground and start from scratch.
    Find your own priors!

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheFallenOne View Post
    I have the feeling the better strategy would be to burn the place to the ground and start from scratch.
    Good luck.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Fivefold Paths of Magic

Rizban's E6 Compendium

Full Homebrew List

19. - Top - End - #19
    Banned

"Fell one"
    "Fluctuating one"
    "Fallen one"
    "Financial one"

Gotta love DMs who do little things like that. It's little things like that that makes the campaign so much better.

Is there even a word for what he's doing? I want to say alliteration but I'm not sure if that's it.

20. - Top - End - #20

Alliterative theme naming perhaps. It's always The F One, the f word(no, not that one) linked to the personality/goals of the character I surmise. Well, except for mine of course as that one is taken from my username.

New challenge everyone: make a character that can't conceivably be described by any word beginning with the letter F
    Find your own priors!

21. - Top - End - #21
    Banned

Alliterative theme naming perhaps. It's always The F One, the f word(no, not that one) linked to the personality/goals of the character I surmise. Well, except for mine of course as that one is taken from my username.

New challenge everyone: make a character that can't conceivably be described by any word beginning with the letter F
    He is a man, who is weakened by words beginning with the letter f, in and out of character. Everytime someone says a word beginning with F, the player of the PC must put his hand to his head and scream. "NO NOT THAT NAUGHTY F WORDS!" 3 times.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Of course this expedition would come at a later point when we are more capable of handling and or financing a trip into the docks.

I think a wizard obsessed with research might be able to escape the curse of being described with an F word. Of course this sentence sounds so dirty it was to be taken out of context.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

You missed "Fuzzy" and "Frenzied." it started with The Fuzzy One, then TheFallenOne got approved with the second private thread, and the theme just seemed to fit.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Fivefold Paths of Magic

Rizban's E6 Compendium

Full Homebrew List

24. - Top - End - #24
    Banned

I'm not sure if this is the right thread to place this, but considering the DM asked me a question I think I better post this before I start opening restaurants, taverns, and breweries and people start questioning where I'm getting all the ranks from since Profession is now trained only.

The Master class in "War of the Lance" has an ability called "Knack" and although most are quite weak, many can be used to great effect with the merchant princess or other skill based classes.

This is the knack I am referring to, a profession knack called "Jack of all trades" (not to be confused with the feat, this is a CLASS FEATURE).

"The master professional has learned how to apply his experience and savvy with one area of professional expertise in order to succeed in others. With this knack, he may substitute ranks in a Profession skill for ranks in another Profession skill in which he has no ranks. These may be substituted on a two for one basis for the purpose of making Profession checks. For example a master professional with 10 ranks in Profession (merchant) (irony), may attempt a Profession (innkeeper) check as if he had 5 ranks in that skill. Ability bonuses and other modifiers are applied as usual. Use of this knack does not confer synergy bonuses to other skills."

I am assuming (although it may be argued otherwise) that I can only substitute from 1 skill at a time. For example if I have 8 ranks in brewer, and 8 ranks in innkeeper, I can't trade all 16 ranks for 8 ranks in cooking.

Anyways, here is the detailed answer to how I knew law.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Also for clarification, I knew that when I approved the character, but with the work convention, food poisoning, crossing time zones, and checking threads from my phone while waiting for a ride, I didn't remember the ability's wording off the top of my head.
    Last edited by Rizban; 2012-10-24 at 01:11 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Fivefold Paths of Magic

Rizban's E6 Compendium

Full Homebrew List

26. - Top - End - #26
    Banned

Also for clarification, I knew that when I approved the character, but with the work convention, food poisoning, crossing time zones, and checking threads from my phone while waiting for a ride, I didn't remember the ability's wording off the top of my head.
    This is just as much for the other players, so they don't question how I'm suddenly trained in every profession under the sun and running a bakery, a farm, a shop, and a university all at once.

I'm 99% sure most people on this forum don't even know what the Master class is.

I hate cheating, and giving the impression of cheating itself can cause fights and such, and when you're a merchant princess you can open a store for cheap, and suddenly it magically become a big thing bringing in insane amounts of cash in a mere month.

Plus this is a sandbox campaign. I think you said there was only one Tavern in the plaza. So it's likely that our paths are going to cross when they go to check out the new place's drink, or that little store that wasn't there yesterday, etc.

Unlike a thief my character acts completely in the open, meaning I'm more likely to cross the other players, and when I'm level 13 and have 8 ranks in 30+ skills and can do anything from tailoring clothes, to cooking a 5 course meal, to brewing a fine wine, it's easy to turn around and say "where is she getting all the skill points from?"

I figured I would nip it now before it became a problem.

27. - Top - End - #27

Eh, I wouldn't think you're cheating, though my guess at how you pulled it off would have been different(Elf Dilettante, +1 on all untrained skills, use trained only skills freely. Smaller bonus than what you use, but wider applicability).

Dunno whether Profession(X) and Profession(Y) count as different skills, but if they do a bit of Factotum would go well with your concept. Cunning Knowledge, +1 per Factotum level to every skill once per day.
    Find your own priors!

28. - Top - End - #28
    Banned

Dunno whether Profession(X) and Profession(Y) count as different skills, but if they do a bit of Factotum would go well with your concept. Cunning Knowledge, +1 per Factotum level to every skill once per day.
    I'm 99% sure RAW they are since you have to buy ranks in them separately, but might be good to ask the DM. What do you think Rizban?

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Craft, Perform, and Profession are explicitly stated to be a collection of different skills using the same generic name.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Fivefold Paths of Magic

Rizban's E6 Compendium

Full Homebrew List

30. - Top - End - #30

Pity I played lots of skill monkeys before and wanted something different. A properly built Factotum could likely pull some crazy stuff here.
    Find your own priors!