Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Banned

Default Re: Aldhaven Vicious Betrayals - OOC

Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    Snip
    Translation. Grind gold pieces and give to charity if I want to level up. Makes sense. Very AD&D.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Ettin in the Playground

I know Plans was generous with material rewards, but the reason is because I rolled most of it back into story things (e.g. the Arena, the Watch) instead of spending it on shinies. And I ended up enjoying it more that way anyhow. Items give personal power, but those organizations provided something far more potent: the ability to impact the city, or at least segments of it, far beyond what can be done through brute force.
    Last edited by hustlertwo; 2012-11-10 at 09:49 PM.

My Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Arena:
    Train, 9-1, Round 58 Champion, Round 79 Champion
    Battle Janitor, 6-0, Round 65 Champion, Round 72 Champion
    Fiorella, 4-0, Round 60 Champion
    Mr. Solus, 6-2, Round 67 Runner-Up, Round 75 Co-Champion

Campaign Characters:
    Drace Sterling

Aldhaven's Arena, open to all who love to kill and maim!

3. - Top - End - #153
    Ogre in the Playground

Riz is quite right generally - there's a good benefit to influence, etc. I did things for the Watch and ended up rising in the rank in the Watch on Perry. Taking on the evils of Aldhaven was very rewarding, to a point. Sadly my plan to get an inn going didn't ever get a chance to finish up!
    Last edited by Lokio; 2012-11-11 at 12:40 AM.
    Trials and exams and busy, oh my!

4. - Top - End - #154
    Troll in the Playground

Would it be appropriate for a character to ask around about some sort of gladiatorial combat in Aldhaven(I as specifically thinking of trying to steer him towards the arena, but wasn't sure if an inn would be a bad place o ask around about that sort of thing)? The arena sounds like an interesting place(even of he didnít end up fighting there, it seems like a place he could sell food at fairly easily)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sawagakure: Village Hidden by the Valley Marsh
    OOC: I, IC: Team 1(I), Team 2(I)
    Lereth: Stormport
    OOC: I, IC: I
    Verden
    Homebrewer's Link(+PBP)
    Member of;

Ninja by Grinner

PM box is now clear(ish), so sending them should work now =3

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ettin in the Playground

Can't speak for Riz, but I imagine that would work. And we already have one merchant who set up shop near the Arena, an armorsmith and equipment repair fellow named Speedy, so more would be welcome. Dunno if that player is still in the game or not, but he sent me a PM recently so hopefully he is.

My Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Arena:

Campaign Characters:
    Drace Sterling

6. - Top - End - #156
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morithias View Post
    Translation. Grind gold pieces and give to charity if I want to level up. Makes sense. Very AD&D.
    Not necessarily. That actually might not work, depending on how you handle things.

Quote Originally Posted by Togath View Post
    Would it be appropriate for a character to ask around about some sort of gladiatorial combat in Aldhaven(I as specifically thinking of trying to steer him towards the arena, but wasn't sure if an inn would be a bad place o ask around about that sort of thing)? The arena sounds like an interesting place(even of he didnít end up fighting there, it seems like a place he could sell food at fairly easily)
    Whatever you want to do...
    If I've helped you out, please check out some my homebrew and post in the threads. Thank you.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Fivefold Paths of Magic

Rizban's E6 Compendium
    The Kreen of the Desert - Races, classes, feats, and more

Full Homebrew List

Aldhaven: Vicious Betrayals - May 27, 2010 to May 27, 2013.

Quod tibi vis fieri, facias.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Troll in the Playground

I hear there is good info on the arena in the docks to be found.

Yeah, really the docks are good for info. Especially on dark moonless nights.
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."

8. - Top - End - #158
    Titan in the Playground

You people are mean.
    If I've helped you out, please check out some my homebrew and post in the threads. Thank you.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Fivefold Paths of Magic

Rizban's E6 Compendium

Full Homebrew List

9. - Top - End - #159
    Bugbear in the Playground

I'm looking for an adventuring team up, but it seems like none of the adventuring type characters use weapons...
    Homebrewer's extended signature

Trophies and Awards
    Spoiler
    Show
    Click an award to see the entry.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Firbolg in the Playground

I would also like to extend a welcome to the Docks and the Sewers. Really all the negativity here is appaling... the docks are a friendly place were people of all races can find exciting entertainment and chance for adventure...

Please remember to carry all your equipment and gold with you because between you and me, you shouldnt trust the banks and inns in this city! If they are on you, your goods are safe!
    AvB has come and gone. Its spirit still lives on in the few active threads...

11. - Top - End - #161

Quote Originally Posted by Jeriah View Post
    I'm looking for an adventuring team up, but it seems like none of the adventuring type characters use weapons...
    How do you know, and why is that a problem?
    Not a member of the Bayesian Conspiracy. Honestly. Probably. Maybe.
    Find your own priors!

12. - Top - End - #162

Because Riz has been working with me to figure out where to take my character. He hasn't told me about anyone's build or anything, but I know the merchant characters aren't big adventurers, and the only ones adventuring are casters of various flavors, some using alternate systems. That's basically all I know about them.

I was hoping to find someone who was either a big, dumb fighter or a gish to team up with due to the particulars of my own character. It doesn't look like there are any in the game at the moment though...
    Homebrewer's extended signature

Trophies and Awards
    Spoiler
    Show
    Click an award to see the entry.

13. - Top - End - #163

Oh I am definitely a melee guy, but I don't use weapons either I am though in the middle of a quest that has a decent chance of killing me, so I am not available for a team now or possibly ever(unless zombified)
    Find your own priors!

14. - Top - End - #164
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Well then I am pleased to say, depending on where my arc goes I could be of service to you, assuming an axe the size of a man counts as a weapon
    Last edited by Ulm11; 2012-11-12 at 02:41 PM.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Troll in the Playground

My character could also probably be useful
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sawagakure: Village Hidden by the Valley Marsh
    OOC: I, IC: Team 1(I), Team 2(I)
    Lereth: Stormport
    Verden
    Homebrewer's Link(+PBP)
    Member of;

Ninja by Grinner

PM box is now clear(ish), so sending them should work now =3

16. - Top - End - #166
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Monodominant View Post
    I would also like to extend a welcome to the Docks and the Sewers. Really all the negativity here is appaling... the docks are a friendly place were people of all races can find exciting entertainment and chance for adventure...

Please remember to carry all your equipment and gold with you because between you and me, you shouldnt trust the banks and inns in this city! If they are on you, your goods are safe!
    Geeze how corrupt is this city? Did the last times player's do nothing to clean it up?

Either way, if you ever need non-adventurering supplies like food and clothes, feel free to drop by the Endoss Emporium. Sewari will be pleased to aid you in anyway she can.

17. - Top - End - #167

Quote Originally Posted by Jeriah View Post
    Because Riz has been working with me to figure out where to take my character. He hasn't told me about anyone's build or anything, but I know the merchant characters aren't big adventurers, and the only ones adventuring are casters of various flavors, some using alternate systems. That's basically all I know about them.

I was hoping to find someone who was either a big, dumb fighter or a gish to team up with due to the particulars of my own character. It doesn't look like there are any in the game at the moment though...
    Unfortunately, I would be of no use in this aspect.......
    homebrew

Interesting Stuff: Spellshapers, Metroid as Incarnum

Bindin's Bag o' Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by BelGareth View Post
    Bindin, this is why I love you.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamshifter View Post
    ...I think my poor Monkadin just went to go get drunk. That's not a natural thing for him to do, at all. Thanks bindin.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Ogre in the Playground

well golly, i'd come join ya, jeriah, once im in

19. - Top - End - #169

Geeze how corrupt is this city? Did the last times player's do nothing to clean it up?

Either way, if you ever need non-adventurering supplies like food and clothes, feel free to drop by the Endoss Emporium. Sewari will be pleased to aid you in anyway she can.
    I resent that allegation!

I initiated the plot hook to destroy the Jacks, the city's largest criminal organisation with ties to the nobility.

I played an important part in reinstating a noble to her position and saved her from her insanity.

I have tried to remove the evil influence of the Hobgoblins that have taken over the Slums and bring vile sorceries into our streets... *winks at Hustler*

And a small series of other acts of charity and all that which have improved life in the city in my opinion. But you cant build a house without cutting down some trees if you get my poin!

20. - Top - End - #170
    Banned

You see this is why the "Grimoire of the Rift" campaign would never work in real life.

Whenever someone asks you "Would you like to live in a D&D World" you're always imagining yourself as the high-level fighter or mage, not the level 1 commoner. It's the same reason why Ferris Bueler's Day Off works as a movie (even though I personally don't like it).

If you can't sleep in an inn without endless worry of being robbed, you're still, or sign a contract without a clause to put you in a torture mine. This city is hell.

Seriously life for a level 1 commoner must be nothing short of hell in this city. Why do I see myself attempting to burn this city to the ground in the future and on a personal level feeling no remorse about ruining the campaign and STILL being willing to argue "It was for the greater good"?

Edit: I'm just saying, every other post in a game shouldn't be making me think "you know I really should have made this woman neutral evil instead of neutral good, that alignment would fit the city so much better."
    Last edited by Morithias; 2012-11-13 at 03:40 AM.

21. - Top - End - #171

I'm not sure there are first level commoners in the first place, except people who haven't reached adulthood yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    The "average" citizen is around level 6 to 10. You're generally no more important that any other person in the city.
    Find your own priors!

22. - Top - End - #172

Burning the city to the ground would mean everything my character has worked for is ashes. Hence consider that should this become your plan and somehow it becomes known you may get a visit ;)

Anyway, I think Aldhaven is like any other Medieval city. Life for commoners has always been (and always will be) hell. From the oppresive watch to the self-appointed nobles who rule via might and their lackeys, down to the thug that robs you of your livelihood.

The only difference in DnD is that you might not die from disease or a battle wound if a cleric has a spell slot to spare.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Banned

I suppose...

Edit: HEY WAIT A MINUTE!

If everyone in this city is level 6 plus, where do my cohort and followers come from? What am I leading around a bunch of child slaves?

Edit 2: Ignore that. I've decided this game isn't for me. It's just not my type of setting and game. I think I make a better DM than player anyway, and with this game and extreme paranoia off my head, I'll have enough focus to DM another game. Nice playing with you, but this just isn't for me. This game is just...too complex...too much focus, and paranoia, and really when a game makes me break out in sweat and anger, out of stuff that hasn't even happened...will it's just not for me.

Enjoy your game. I'm going to start up another game.

Edit 3: No I have no problems with the DM or anything of that nature. I just feel like a star trek fan watching star wars, or a romantic comedy lover watching horror. It's just not my thing. I can tells it's a great campaign for those who enjoy it, but there's a reason 30 year old males don't read Twilight. (Of course this campaign`s writing is FAR above twilight, it`s just 430 am and I couldn`t think of a better metaphor)
    Last edited by Morithias; 2012-11-13 at 04:25 AM.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Ettin in the Playground

You just have to embrace the horror. Know that your character almost certainly will die, and just enjoy the time before they do. I enjoy Wilstaff immensely and will do what I must to prolong his life, but if some villainous Skulk serial killer (a wink back at ya, Mono my man) decides to put a knife in his back tomorrow, he's accomplished a pile of things, and I've had a lot of fun. That made the journey worth taking. Besides, what D&D game is really about getting to the end?

My Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Arena:

Campaign Characters:
    Drace Sterling

25. - Top - End - #175

This game is what you make of it.

Hence I am suprised at your comment Morithias.

We have had merchants, traders, architects, artists and all shorts of characters go through the city and each was given what they wanted. Rizbans primary character was a merchant-artisan that on occasion did adventuring mostly to fund his workshop but cared mostly for the trade and guildlife other than that. Another PC I am DMing has not been in a fight yet and he is around for almost a year... he has so far gained a cohort, got an ally in the University, accidentally cause issues to a major evil organisation that was subsequently taken down due to his action but with no knowledge of his own and a series of other 'adventures' that are more down to earth...

So I have DMed people that joined the guard and are now detectives/corporals etc... I have DMed villains and I am also DMing heroes who try to save others... thats what being in a Sandbox is all about.

Meeting other PCs is accidental at best unless you set your mind to doing something in particular with them or against them. So if you are paranoid that you MIGHT at some point meet a threat then not sure what to say. Anyway its your call but I dont quite follow your reasoning and wanted to ask if you can explain further what you mean...

Plus this is the OOC so there is posturing and all that in here so you shouldnt take it too seriously...

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ogre in the Playground

The city moves as its players do. I played the Watch detective that ran with a certain individual to destroy the jacks, and despite my PC reaching to the highest echelons of the game, one person isn't enough to stop the madness.

Fact is, most of the successful pcs in Aldhaven either are bad guys, or just don't care. Its fun that way; means those who choose to be good guys have something to fight.

Then again, I don't play Perry anymore for the simple reason that nobody is willing to DM him top tier... But, the point is that you can be incredible successful as a white hat, if you know what you are doing and play smart and... Stay out of the docks at night.

Unless you have an ecalypse. :D
    Last edited by Lokio; 2012-11-13 at 12:20 PM.

27. - Top - End - #177

Well actually I was perfectly willing to run Perry... and then you basically disappeared without any notice or bye etc...

28. - Top - End - #178
    Ogre in the Playground

Well actually I was perfectly willing to run Perry... and then you basically disappeared without any notice or bye etc...
    sorry about that man, **** got busy

but by 'top tier' I mean, with the nobles et cetera :)

29. - Top - End - #179
    Barbarian in the Playground

Gotta be honest, I'm just stoked I've actually gained an undisclosed number of levels in this game as a more-or-less combat build. As much as I attempt to think ahead, I was pretty sure I would turn out as a pile of dust at the wrong end of a ray waaaay before now.

-edit-
    for more clarity/obscurity~
    Last edited by TheDivineWind; 2012-11-13 at 07:25 PM.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Titan in the Playground

You see this is why the "Grimoire of the Rift" campaign would never work in real life.

Whenever someone asks you "Would you like to live in a D&D World" you're always imagining yourself as the high-level fighter or mage, not the level 1 commoner. It's the same reason why Ferris Bueler's Day Off works as a movie (even though I personally don't like it).

If you can't sleep in an inn without endless worry of being robbed, you're still, or sign a contract without a clause to put you in a torture mine. This city is hell.

Seriously life for a level 1 commoner must be nothing short of hell in this city. Why do I see myself attempting to burn this city to the ground in the future and on a personal level feeling no remorse about ruining the campaign and STILL being willing to argue "It was for the greater good"?

Edit: I'm just saying, every other post in a game shouldn't be making me think "you know I really should have made this woman neutral evil instead of neutral good, that alignment would fit the city so much better."
    Sounds like a completely reasonable outlook based on your thread so far. At the very least, she should have been Neutral Paranoid. Seriously though, the most dangerous thing you've encountered outside of your own paranoia was a woman who hit on you then paid in wooden coins with illusions on them to look like gold after your harshly rejected her advances.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFallenOne View Post
    I'm not sure there are first level commoners in the first place, except people who haven't reached adulthood yet.
    That's fairly accurate. Levels 1-5 are generally reserved for "children" in Aldhaven. In this setting, it's basically assumed you reach level 6 as you enter adulthood. Now, there are a few lower level people, but not many who are adults. I've found that levels 5 to 6 are a good base line for general populace, as they are strong enough to survive getting scratched by a house cat but not strong enough to really change the world yet.

Burning the city to the ground would mean everything my character has worked for is ashes. Hence consider that should this become your plan and somehow it becomes known you may get a visit ;)

Anyway, I think Aldhaven is like any other Medieval city. Life for commoners has always been (and always will be) hell. From the oppresive watch to the self-appointed nobles who rule via might and their lackeys, down to the thug that robs you of your livelihood.

The only difference in DnD is that you might not die from disease or a battle wound if a cleric has a spell slot to spare.
    It's also based on the fact that you start off "average" for the setting. You have to earn Hero Of The Story status. Being no different from other people and working your way to the top is very appealing to me and the main reason I designed this game the way I did. I tried to incorporate that with a "realistic for D&D" concept, and I personally am very happy with the way it has worked out.

I suppose...

Edit: HEY WAIT A MINUTE!

If everyone in this city is level 6 plus, where do my cohort and followers come from? What am I leading around a bunch of child slaves?

Edit 2: Ignore that. I've decided this game isn't for me. It's just not my type of setting and game. I think I make a better DM than player anyway, and with this game and extreme paranoia off my head, I'll have enough focus to DM another game. Nice playing with you, but this just isn't for me. This game is just...too complex...too much focus, and paranoia, and really when a game makes me break out in sweat and anger, out of stuff that hasn't even happened...will it's just not for me.

Enjoy your game. I'm going to start up another game.

Edit 3: No I have no problems with the DM or anything of that nature. I just feel like a star trek fan watching star wars, or a romantic comedy lover watching horror. It's just not my thing. I can tells it's a great campaign for those who enjoy it, but there's a reason 30 year old males don't read Twilight. (Of course this campaign`s writing is FAR above twilight, it`s just 430 am and I couldn`t think of a better metaphor)
    1) Considering you're running a shop, your low level followers from Leadership would mainly take the form of young adolescent to late teenage apprentices working their way towards their own careers. Keep in mind that in medieval times, and even in D&D, adulthood is considered to begin much earlier than we think it does now. In D&D, human reach Adult at 16 and Middle Age at 35 rather than the 18-21 and 40-45 we think of now. In medieval times, an apprentice would have begun his apprenticeship at age 10 or 11, if not sooner.

2) No offense, but almost all of that paranoia was generated by you, not by the game...

3) Seems reasonable. Good luck with your future games.

Quote Originally Posted by hustlertwo View Post
    You just have to embrace the horror. Know that your character almost certainly will die, and just enjoy the time before they do. I enjoy Wilstaff immensely and will do what I must to prolong his life, but if some villainous Skulk serial killer (a wink back at ya, Mono my man) decides to put a knife in his back tomorrow, he's accomplished a pile of things, and I've had a lot of fun. That made the journey worth taking. Besides, what D&D game is really about getting to the end?
    Believe it or not, most players have not died. In general, unless you go looking for trouble, trouble doesn't come looking for you. If you start attacking people or sticking your nose where it doesn't belong, that is when things get dangerous. It's perfectly possible to play indefinitely without anyone trying to kill you. It's just not going to be as much fun.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Fivefold Paths of Magic

Rizban's E6 Compendium

Full Homebrew List