New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: AVB - The Fallen One

The causeway is the only easy way to cross the river for several miles and is open to the public.

Looking past the island, you can see another large gatehouse on the far shore. Just beyond this gatehouse is the Docks and outer slums of the city. A shudder sneaks its way down your back.

The island is located upriver from the causeway, with only the lower tip of it is crossed by this bridge. The only part of the island downriver is too muddy and swampy to be built on. The entire rest of the island is ringed by walls built all the way to the water's edge and as massive as those that surround Aldhaven itself. A few small watch posts are visible atop the Fortress walls. A large gatehouse is situated on the Fortress walls which meet with King's Causeway.

Unfortunately, from where you stand, you are unable to see anything but the walls, watch posts, and the three large towers of the Fortress. Three Watchmen stand at the only entrance to the Fortress that you can see while you spot another two patrolling the walls. Looking up, you spot another two or three Watchmen patrolling the walls of the city above you.
    Spoiler: Links to my content threads
    Show
    Aldhaven - May 27, 2010 and ongoing.
    Aldhaven Rules and Homebrew (aldhaven.com)

Character Repository
    Homebrew List
    Quod tibi vis fieri, facias.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

Sedrach approaches the entrance to the Fortress and adresses one of the watchmen. "Good day, sir. May I have a moment of your time?" He waits for confirmation before continuing. "I am Marianus Herlock, a healer by trade and just arrived in this city. I have heard of some violence in the docks. Is it a place where my services would be useful or am I better advised avoiding the place entirely?"

Spoiler
    Show
    so, wall thickness?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the Green View Post
    Actually, when you first put up the post where the gazebo started trying to eat us, I assumed you were pulling our legs and you'd put up the real post soon enough.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

"Kid, I wouldn't set foot in there with a full squad right now. The place has gone to hell. Needed or not, your best bet is to turn around and not come back this way until things have settled down."

The walls appear to be at least 20 to 30 feet thick, though it's hard to tell exactly from where you are. The gate at the Fortress is closed, with only a small servants' door the size of a normal door being used for the time being.

Spoiler
    Show
    I really hate to do this to you, but...
    I seem to have accidentally deleted my local copy of your character sheet and can't seem to make my new local copy line up with your character sheet. Can you give me a list of what skills you take at each level 1 to 6 to show me how you spent your points? Please PM that to me.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

"That sounds rough, I will avoid the place then. Thank you, you've been most helpful Mr...?"

Spoiler
    Show
    I actually had that on my sheet way back but deleted it when I made new stat rolls and changed around the levels a bit. I'll make a new list.
    Actually, when you first put up the post where the gazebo started trying to eat us, I assumed you were pulling our legs and you'd put up the real post soon enough.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

"Sergeant. Sergeant Smithers."
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground

"Gods bless you, Sergeant Smithers. Have a good day."
    He left, wandering the city and filling the time until the dark of night with collecting various pieces of information.

Spoiler
    Show
    First, let's see how many checks I get (1d4+1)[5] (1d4+1)[4] (1d4+1)[4] (1d4+1)[4] (1d4+1)[2] (1d4+1)[5]

Information I am looking for: security measures of the Fortress, where watchmen sleep(barracks, private homes?) and where one Sergeant Smithers specifically can be found when off duty.
    Yes, I plan to waylay him, interrogate him about the whereabouts of the captured spies, then kill him and use Disguise to dress up as him.

GI - (1d20+19)[37]
    GI - (1d20+19)[29]
    GI - (1d20+19)[24]
    GI - (1d20+19)[23]
    GI - (1d20+19)[39]
    GI - (1d20+19)[27]
    use as many as appropriate

7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground

Being early afternoon when you talk to the sergeant, night falls around the time your first check is completed. A deep horn sounds twice, pauses a few seconds, then twice more. Ten minutes later, the gates on either side of King's Causeway begin to close accompanied by one long blast on the same horn. The gates come to a close just before the last light of the setting sun fades into twilight.

In the past few hours, you've discovered that the Fortress is primarily built to defend the city against invasion, either from downriver or from the north. The river to the east (upstream) is too rocky and tumultuous for an invasion force to come from that direction, in addition to problems with a beaver infestation in the area.

Heavy bombards are positioned in each of the three towers with smaller ballistae on the walls. Archers man the walls, but you do not learn exact numbers or any kind of shift rotations.

The only known entrance to the Fortress is the main gate, which seals very tightly at night, especially in these troubled times. Murder holes built into the gatehouse are present for use by the guards against anyone trying to breach the gate.
    Last edited by Rizban; 2012-10-24 at 10:41 PM.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground

Deciding he won't be able to go through with the jailbreak this night, Sedrach spends most of the night looking for further pieces of information in taverns and other places where people gather, inviting people to drink to loosen their tongue. Before first light, he returns to the Dancing Wizard and blinks into his room, resting until late afternoon.

Spoiler
    Show
    Further checks as appropriate about Smithers. Will have a meal in the process somewhere.

Change of Soulmelds. Bloodtalons instead of Wormtail Belt. Cerulean Sandals instead of Truthseeker Goggles.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

You have approximately 13 hours until sunrise.

The "taverns" in Old Town, the part of town nearest Rivergate, either close early or require reservations or a certain high reputation to enter. Being unknown, you have difficulty finding any that will let you in. Wandering further through Old Town, you find that the back streets contain mostly the houses and manses of the lesser nobles and wealthier merchants of Aldhaven.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

Realizing Oldtown is the wrong place for his inquiries, he returns to Midtown, trying The Sad Flint instead.

Spoiler
    Show
    seems a common gathering place and only tavern without highened risk of getting recognized I know of.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Titan in the Playground

The interior of the Sad Flint is quite crowded. People are coming and going all over the rather large barroom. Patrons of any possible description abound, most content to drink the beers in their hands. No one bothers to turn their head when yet another patron walks in. The atmosphere of the place is slightly dingy, but comfortable.

A lone half-giant is serving as the bartender at the long bar across from the entrance. Round tables with an average of four chairs each litter the common area, although several have borrowed chairs from others nearby. More than half of them seem occupied by patrons of some description and number. A pair of armored bouncers guard a double door along the west wall.

Barmaids of many different races weave in and out of the traffic, delivering food and drinks, as well as picking up empty crockery and more than a few pick-up lines.

Unfortunately, it seems as the majority of the Flint goers are from out of town. The few locals refuse to discuss anything about the City Watch, knowing anyone asking about them around here is probably up to no good.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Hm...

Slightly different approach then. Urban Tracking. That caps the DC at 27, 22 if no metropolis, if we interpret the reluctance to talk about the watch as 'lying low'. What's the size of the city?

1 check per hour
    (1d20+19)[36]
    (1d20+19)[20]
    (1d20+19)[30]
    (1d20+19)[33]
    (1d20+19)[36]
    (1d20+19)[35]
    (1d20+19)[20]
    (1d20+19)[31]
    (1d20+19)[27]
    (1d20+19)[38]

13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Definitely a Metropolis.

After three hours, you find that he checked in at Rivergate about 30 minutes before sundown, grabbed a bite to eat, but no alcohol, at a local pub, then proceeded back across King's Causeway. Curses! He's on the other side of the city wall tonight!
    Last edited by Rizban; 2012-10-25 at 12:22 AM.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

Deciding it's likely Smithers spends the night at the Fortress, either in barracks or on duty, Sedrach visits the pub he had been in himself to eat a simple meal.

Spoiler
    Show
    GI whether there are barracks the watchmen sleep in (1d20+19)[34]

15. - Top - End - #75
    Titan in the Playground

There are indeed barracks. You also learn that all Watch recruits are required to live there for the duration of their training.

The Wall in the Hole Pub is apparently open, even at this late hour. Most of the patrons are quietly drinking alone or with friends in private booths. The one man at the bar is staring into the last half of his ale and seems to have been for some time now. The loudest sound in the whole place is the clinking of clay tankards as a barmaid clears them from an empty table. It seems most likely that Smithers comes here to relax when he eats.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground

Sedrach turns in for the day, resting and reshaping his Soulmelds.

Spoiler
    Show
    Not easy... How frequented is the area around the Wall in the Hole at night? Any chance to ambush someone near there without being noticed?

17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground

The Wall in the Hole is so named for being right near the city wall where the ground dips down a good bit. Not a great reason for the name, but a clever play on words that has seemed to draw in a loyal clientele. It's off the beaten path, as most people don't want to build too near the wall. At the current hour, most people are sleeping soundly in their beds, and the streets are all but deserted.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

18. - Top - End - #78
    Titan in the Playground

Excellent. After resting, Sedrach spends the time until the next night wiling away learning some stuff that might be useful should he survive this night's endeavor.
    Come nightful, he returns to the Wall in the Hole, this time in the guise of a downbeaten merchant named Carl, and spends the time chatting with strangers or inviting them to a game of cards, hoping Smithers will come here again.

Spoiler
    Show
    Jailbreak attempt forthcoming. Rolling GI on the happenings at the docks. Who are the guys causing trouble, what do they want, whether they attack on sight or just certain people(city officials? People with money? Particular race or group?)

Disguise (1d20+15)[32]

GI 6 lower from change in Soulmelds
    (1d20+13)[29] (1d4+1)[3]
    (1d20+13)[27] (1d4+1)[4]
    (1d20+13)[17] (1d4+1)[2]
    (1d20+13)[27] (1d4+1)[2]
    (1d20+13)[26] (1d4+1)[2]
    (1d20+13)[16] (1d4+1)[5]
    (1d20+13)[26] (1d4+1)[5]

19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground

The stories from the Docks are varied and conflicting.

The place is haunted.
    Rat men stalk the streets.
    A Hobgoblin army has encamped there.
    A portal to hell has opened, sucking in the souls of anyone who gets too close.
    The king isn't sick, he's insane and has moved to the docks to slaughter the innocent and feast on their flesh.
    Someone is stealing children for dark alchemy in an attempt to gain eternal youth.
    The shadows eat people!

Two things are certain: Humans who go into the Docks at night disappear with parts of them being found scattered across the district over the next few days, and anyone who wanders into the shadows during the day suffers a similar fate.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

20. - Top - End - #80
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    hrm, that doesn't help as much as I hoped.

Camping at the Wall in the Hole waiting for Smithers to turn up.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground

Strangely, it seems as though he doesn't go to the same place for dinner every night.

Having not eaten the whole day, and had only one meal and some ale the day before, your belly begins to rumble fairly loudly.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

22. - Top - End - #82
    Titan in the Playground

Suppressing a curse, Sedrach fills his empty stomach at the Wall in the Hole again, then leaves and once again tries to track down his quarry.

Spoiler
    Show
    Urban Tracking
    (1d20+13)[20]
    (1d20+13)[32]
    (1d20+13)[28]
    (1d20+13)[21]
    (1d20+13)[33]
    (1d20+13)[18]
    (1d20+13)[15]

In the future, if I am staying prolonged at a place that offers food, doing GI and the like, can we just assume I do eat when hungry?

23. - Top - End - #83
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    If you just want to assume you stop for regular meals, it's 2gp per day to buy decent food that's convenient.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

24. - Top - End - #84
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Works for me. Though if I pull this off I'm gonna have a big victory feast somewhere

25. - Top - End - #85
    Titan in the Playground

Having stalked the place until well after the dinner rush waiting for Smithers, you find the sun has set and the city gates are shut once again.

Your trail is cold. It seems he hasn't entered through Rivergate today. All you're able to learn is that he came by here yesterday.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

26. - Top - End - #86
    Titan in the Playground

Determining it isn't all that important to get Smithers specifically, Sedrach tries to learn if there is any watch activity after nightfall and if so, where.

Spoiler
    Show
    GI, stop after success
    (1d20+13)[26] (1d4+1)[4]
    (1d20+13)[18] (1d4+1)[4]
    (1d20+13)[14] (1d4+1)[2]

I'm content to jump any lone watchman, though I do wish I could have a go at Smithers. SMITHERS!

27. - Top - End - #87
    Titan in the Playground

You find that there are several Watchmen who patrol at night throughout the city, with the exception of the Docks. They never patrol in groups smaller than 2 except in South Market where they patrol alone but have frequently overlapping beats with scheduled check in times.

Takes 8 hours.
    Last edited by Rizban; 2012-10-25 at 02:46 AM.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

28. - Top - End - #88
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    how much night time remaining?

How exactly are watchmen equipped(armor, weapons)? Would I be able to dress up as one with what I have(breastplate, 37 sets of clothing to choose from)?

29. - Top - End - #89
    Titan in the Playground

City Watchmen are issued standard +1 chain shirts or +1 chainmail, a +1 longsword, and a tabard with the City Watch insignia on it. They also receive manacles, a whistle, and various other necessary tools which they keep on their handy belts.

About 3 hours.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

30. - Top - End - #90
    Titan in the Playground

Sedrach goes to South Market, trying to find a lone watchman in in isolated place.

Spoiler
    Show
    Have to finish it before another one happens across us...
    Can I attack the whistle while he wears it on his belt?
    Sundering a Carried or Worn Object

You don’t use an opposed attack roll to damage a carried or worn object. Instead, just make an attack roll against the object’s AC. A carried or worn object’s AC is equal to 10 + its size modifier + the Dexterity modifier of the carrying or wearing character. Attacking a carried or worn object provokes an attack of opportunity just as attacking a held object does. To attempt to snatch away an item worn by a defender rather than damage it, see Disarm. You can’t sunder armor worn by another character.