New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Kneenibble's Knack for Knightly Knickers: a Knell for Random Banter #184

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant Sheep View Post
    History teacher, the scariest? Damn, I would hate that school. I debate and speak with them often, I enjoy most history classes (but ya know, only if they believe in freedom). But that is a weeeeird question. Cuz i mean, some people, mr teacher, just have a decent vocabulary. (gasp!)
    History teachers can be hella scary! Especialy if they're Wereyokai and can eat time.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Kneenibble's Knack for Knightly Knickers: a Knell for Random Banter #184

Quote Originally Posted by LordShotGun View Post
    The previous owner was an old man who had died and the bank owned the house.
    Ohh okay. You would've thought they'd take care of it though.. /rollseyes Silly bank!

Epic quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Elemental View Post
    Ahh Kyth'ra... A knight of such honour and virtue, not to mention suppressed homicidal rage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    His life was over.
    Quote Originally Posted by C'nor View Post
    Mystic who fluffs things with madness and zeal,
    Mynxae who always seeks rifts to heal,
    The lovely Dark Lady who's never at odds;
    These are a few of our favorite mods!

3. - Top - End - #243
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Corrected them on what and what exactly yielded the dictionary discussion, Moonikins?

Granted, I did actually make a project of reading an exhaustive dictionary from front to back when I was younger.

I believe I was about a third of the way through when I discovered the Wheel of Time series and got bogged down by that and then girls. Pity, was going to follow that up by reading the entirety of the Encyclopedia Britannica just to be able to say that I had done so.
    English teacher said that the Romans never bathed, and History teacher was trying to tell us that the name Senex was meaningful because it sounded like 'Sex'. ''

Mm. I started reading the dictionary, but unfortunately, I dislocated my arm part of the way in when it fell on me, so I had to stop due to trauma.

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    That sounds awesome! Most of it, anyway.
    T'was! Most?

History teacher, the scariest? Damn, I would hate that school. I debate and speak with them often, I enjoy most history classes (but ya know, only if they believe in freedom). But that is a weeeeird question. Cuz i mean, some people, mr teacher, just have a decent vocabulary. (gasp!)
    I am a huge history nerd. It actually works out okay, as the scary teacher an also be decent sometimes. It's just... you neve,r ever, ever want to cross her. EVER!

Which reminds me, I got handed a sheet of paper with 400 words that get used in the SAT a lot, in order to help me prep. I Found 5 words so far I don't know.
    Spoiler: This signature is a historical relic from a long-ago time of regular forum activity.
    Show
    Aww man! Even all the witty self referencing sigs are gone now!
    Excellent Avatar by CheesePirate, Awesome banners by Pink Haired August

Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #244
    Troll in the Playground

Public Bathhouses were not ONLY used for orgies, mr and mrs. Moonie-teachers.

Bank incompetence? Gee whillikers. Wish you luck Shotgun, home redistribution and ownership is trickiez business. Old bank issues take ages to resolve.
    Can only thank GitP for being so good for so long.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
    If it helps, think of me as the Agent from Serenity. Just not that good a fighter. Also, I have a mustache.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    I'm probably hilarious far off, aren't I?
    Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    This is not... the greatest story Tolkien ever wrote. No... This is just a tribute.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracon1us View Post
    don't feed the troll...

A pile of thanks piled on other thanks to Teddy for photorealistic avatar.

5. - Top - End - #245

Quote Originally Posted by MoonCat View Post
    English teacher said that the Romans never bathed, and History teacher was trying to tell us that the name Senex was meaningful because it sounded like 'Sex'. ''

Mm. I started reading the dictionary, but unfortunately, I dislocated my arm part of the way in when it fell on me, so I had to stop due to trauma.

T'was! Most?
    Wow those are both horrificly bad things to try and teach.

I say most becuase reading the dictionary seems excessively cruel and boring to me.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Titan in the Playground

...Putting aside the utter, complete falsehood and inanity of both of those statements, shouldn't they have been said by each OTHER?!
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

7. - Top - End - #247

People used to make fun of me cuz they though I read the dictionary.

I just read a lot of other books that were quite above what a kid my age would read, so had one helluva vocabulary.
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

8. - Top - End - #248

Public Bathhouses were not ONLY used for orgies, mr and mrs. Moonie-teachers.
    Indeed. Although the rest of the class laughed at me when I corrected him, and then told me to stop acting crazy afterwards when I was ranting about it.

Wow those are both horrificly bad things to try and teach.

I say most becuase reading the dictionary seems excessively cruel and boring to me.
    Yeah.

I don't get it. They asked me if I did, s'not like I do anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    ...Putting aside the utter, complete falsehood and inanity of both of those statements, shouldn't they have been said by each OTHER?!
    Hmm?

Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    People used to make fun of me cuz they though I read the dictionary.

I just read a lot of other books that were quite above what a kid my age would read, so had one helluva vocabulary.
    Yeah. Because of my vocabulary there used to be a rumor going around that I slept with a thesaurus under my pillow. Mainly because of my reading so many books. I'm not actually sure why, a lot of my regular words from years ago are showing up in high school vocabulary tests, it was really only this and last year, where I was back in public school, that I got hit in the face with the realization that not everyone was using those words in everyday speech.

Which reminds me, I just noticed last Thursday that I had used the word superlative in my notes to myself a few years back. I don't even know why.
    Spoiler: This signature is a historical relic from a long-ago time of regular forum activity.
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #249

NecromancerGuy

...That's some sizeable dictionary. I don't think I've ever even seen one that big.

At least it makes sense that an English teacher would be unaware of the Roman Baths.

The other one, not so much.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

10. - Top - End - #250

...That's some sizeable dictionary. I don't think I've ever even seen one that big.

At least it makes sense that an English teacher would be unaware of the Roman Baths.

The other one, not so much.
    Ooh! I'll go take a picture of it!

Considering he's supposed to be a total history nerd, not as much. The two teachers are close, half of the time the two classes overlap. He teaches us philosophy and we get the full on description of Greek life three hours before we get it all again with her. (Who also teaches English, but to the year below us.) Today he starts teaching us about Roman panem et circenses, today we start the chapter on Rome in her class. He was asking us to consider 'what is man' at the same time that we were learning about the first men, and what differentiated them.

In any case, I'm planning on bringing him a book on the history of bathing if my parents let me take it out of the house.
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #251

Yeah.

I don't get it. They asked me if I did, s'not like I do anymore.
    Oh, right. My bad

12. - Top - End - #252
    Titan in the Playground

Wow. Two things that, apparently, neither of us can stand: Authority people being wrong and overanalysis.

Though sometimes it is hilarious. I managed to convince my English teacher of the Pratchett definition of "fornication" as an alternate. She took it as a joke but accepted it as a logical possible derivation and use.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

13. - Top - End - #253

Sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    Wow. Two things that, apparently, neither of us can stand: Authority people being wrong and overanalysis.

Though sometimes it is hilarious. I managed to convince my English teacher of the Pratchett definition of "fornication" as an alternate. She took it as a joke but accepted it as a logical possible derivation and use.
    Ugh, yes. she also claimed that the love interest, Philia, was more likely called that in reference to 'filly'.

The Pratchett definition is true though, isn't it? Or did I fall for a fake?

Here's a pic of the gorgeous MOI holding the dictionary, grainly taken form a phone in Pacific Northwest fog-light.

Spoiler
    Show

It's about 3/4 as thick as me, and at the time I was a very little girl. The entire thing fell on my arm at an odd angle, and...

Well, it got popped back into the socket.
    Last edited by MoonCat; 2012-10-22 at 07:04 PM.
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #254
    Titan in the Playground

All I know is that if I search "Fornication + Vaulting", the only definition I get not listed as being from Pratchett is the... conventional one. With a side note that a possible reason for the origin of the word was due to where hookers could be found in ancient Rome.I'm sure that without Safe Search, I would find a lot more things, but I really don't want to see that stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

15. - Top - End - #255
    Titan in the Playground

Not much >.>

Hmm?
    The history teacher was giving an (bullcrap) english lesson and the english teacher was giving a (bullcrap) history lesson. WHY?!

Extended Sig

16. - Top - End - #256
    Bugbear in the Playground

Sure.

Ugh, yes. she also claimed that the love interest, Philia, was more likely called that in reference to 'filly'.

Here's a pic of the gorgeous MOI holding the dictionary, grainly taken form a phone in Pacific Northwest fog-light.

Spoiler
    Show

It's about 3/4 as thick as me, and at the time I was a very little girl. The entire thing fell on my arm at an odd angle, and...

Well, it got popped back into the socket.
    In case people didn't already know this:
    "Senex" is Latin for "old man."
    "Philia" looks a lot like one of the Ancient Greek words for "love," which makes a lot of sense if she's the love interest.
    This has been your "Ancient Language Trivia That Shows Teacher Stupidity" segment of the day.
    Quotes!
    Spoiler
    Show

BY THE HEAVENS! Dimonite! You are even more awesome than I thought!
    Quote Originally Posted by CurlyKitGirl View Post
    *high fives!*
    That was awesome, made me smile.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Witch-King View Post
    THIS aberrant, ancient evil ain't no playa! I'm gonna take care of my little Meduthids and my Spawnling Mama! Besides which--the Old Ones know the Elder Brain keeps pestering me about giving it some Grandspawnlings...
    The Neutralizer - my 3.5 class that attempts to make wizards less OP.
    Fantastic dragonpuppy drawn by my sister in the ancient times.

17. - Top - End - #257

NecromancerGuy

Garn. I've held women who weren't anorexic who were about as big around as that one.

That's pretty thick alright.
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew

18. - Top - End - #258

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    All I know is that if I search "Fornication + Vaulting", the only definition I get not listed as being from Pratchett is the... conventional one. With a side note that a possible reason for the origin of the word was due to where hookers could be found in ancient Rome.I'm sure that without Safe Search, I would find a lot more things, but I really don't want to see that stuff.
    Aww, man, I fell for it! I had thought it was ust another example of having a gay old time. ^.^

Not much >.>

The history teacher was giving an (bullcrap) english lesson and the english teacher was giving a (bullcrap) history lesson. WHY?!
    Technically a bulllcrap Latin lesson, but I did get to correct her before anyone learnt i wrong (as well as possibly slipping in some other information she also missed, such as the name Marcus Lycus referencing a play of Plautus', the names of a few slave girls being puns, the man who keeps being confused with a female through the play having a gender neutral suffix, and I think I had some more, but I turned red and temporarily forgot how to do English, so I stopped. (Basically, the only thing that ever stops me from going on a full-blown intellectual rant is my awareness of other people and my tendency to forget every single word I know if given time to talk.))

Frankly, I think she teaches English and History just to make dirty jokes that only one in a whole class of kids get. I appear to be that one person. Two days ago, she's describing Roman gods, and mentions Priapus. She then mumbles that 'we wont be going into his particular powers.' Only I got it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimonite View Post
    "Philia" looks a lot like one of the Ancient Greek words for "love," which makes a lot of sense if she's the love interest.
    This has been your "Ancient Language Trivia That Shows Teacher Stupidity" segment of the day.
    Mm. These are all characters in the play/movie she had us watchover Homecoming Week, so that's why she was explaining them.

She also missed the other meaning of Erronius, not only is it because he makes so many mistakes, errare means to wander.

Garn. I've held women who weren't anorexic who were about as big around as that one.

That's pretty thick alright.
    Yeah. I used to be able to hide behind it when I was younger, back in the days when I liked to hide inside of cat carrier boxes.
    Last edited by MoonCat; 2012-10-22 at 07:33 PM.
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #259

NecromancerGuy

Wuff. The only time I was small enough for that kind of thing was when I was a baby, Moonie.

Not much >.>
    Relatively, I meant.
    Homebrew

20. - Top - End - #260
    Ogre in the Playground

It's 2.10 am, I have a 9am tutorial and I can't decide if I should sleep or finish this homework due for my 10am tutorial...

I could do the homework in the 9am tutorial...

Yeah, I'm gonna sleep now

21. - Top - End - #261
    Troll in the Playground

Filly makes no sense, and a english teacher saying that Philia is related to dilly makes negative sense to me... Because ya know, those whole "-philia" suffix we has, ala necrophilia and paedophila etc etc etc THOSE ARE WORDS PEOPLE KNOW WHYYY. Ignorance scary meeee.

Wuff. The only time I was small enough for that kind of thing was when I was a baby, Moonie.
    Relatively, I meant.
    You will find that Moonie is a special kind of tiny.

Aww, man, I fell for it! I had thought it was ust another example of having a gay old time. ^.^

Technically a bulllcrap Latin lesson, but I did get to correct her before anyone learnt i wrong (as well as possibly slipping in some other information she also missed, such as the name Marcus Lycus referencing a play of Plautus', the names of a few slave girls being puns, the man who keeps being confused with a female through the play having a gender neutral suffix, and I think I had some more, but I turned red and temporarily forgot how to do English, so I stopped. (Basically, the only thing that ever stops me from going on a full-blown intellectual rant is my awareness of other people and my tendency to forget every single word I know if given time to talk.))

Frankly, I think she teaches English and History just to make dirty jokes that only one in a whole class of kids get. I appear to be that one person. Two days ago, she's describing Roman gods, and mentions Priapus. She then mumbles that 'we wont be going into his particular powers.' Only I got it.
    EVERYTHING is an example of having a gay old time.

Most multilingual (and even omnilingual yay me huzzah ignorance of various language and cultural traditions!) forget how to english. Its a slly language. Why I love it so much.

Making idiotic and obscure references is pretty much the only reason I ever consider being a teacher. And also, teaching history is epicsauce and I can try to "make it fuuun" and naive 20-year old teacher feels!!
    Mm. These are all characters in the play/movie she had us watchover Homecoming Week, so that's why she was explaining them.

She also missed the other meaning of Erronius, not only is it because he makes so many mistakes, errare means to wander.

Yeah. I used to be able to hide behind it when I was younger, back in the days when I liked to hide inside of cat carrier boxes.
    Moonie y u noes latin.

Wow, a play? With mythological and epic characters? Tour achool, it sends me muy mixed messages.

HIDEIN DA BOX!
    Spoiler
    Show
    If it helps, think of me as the Agent from Serenity. Just not that good a fighter. Also, I have a mustache.
    This is not... the greatest story Tolkien ever wrote. No... This is just a tribute.
    don't feed the troll...

22. - Top - End - #262

NecromancerGuy

You will find that Moonie is a special kind of tiny.
    So her mutant power is being tiny? Rough luck there, Moonikins.

HIDEIN DA BOX!
    Are you channeling Jontron? I'd swear I'm just hearing this post read in his voice noe...
    Homebrew

23. - Top - End - #263
    Ettin in the Playground

So her mutant power is being tiny? Rough luck there, Moonikins.
    Not necessarily.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pokemon-freak89 View Post
    Well, his main power is more "COMIC SCIENCE!". He's a less powerful Ant Man, and his name is all confusing because of the more badass Captain Atom.

And I am channeling the general Jontron persona, but not him SPECIFICALLY. Not the first guy to do such things. Just the one to do it best, most recently.
    Last edited by Mutant Sheep; 2012-10-22 at 09:40 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    don't feed the troll...

25. - Top - End - #265

NecromancerGuy

^: More of him, eh? Kinky.

Quote Originally Posted by Pokemon-freak89 View Post
    Shrinking's a power, but it's kind of sad.

So I just did a test mow of my back yard with the retro-mechanical push-mower I recently acquired.

More sticks there than I had realized. x.x I guess I now have an excuse to remind me to deal with all of those though.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2012-10-22 at 09:43 PM.
    Homebrew

26. - Top - End - #266
    Troll in the Playground

^: More of him, eh? Kinky.

Shrinking's a power, but it's kind of sad.

So I just did a test mow of my back yard with the retro-mechanical push-mower I recently acquired.

More sticks there than I had realized. x.x I guess I now have an excuse to remind me to deal with all of those though.

YES BRAVE AN BOLD SONGS GOOD YAY I WUV AQUAMAN. *is STILL scared by the Aquacanary*

I want a modern mower. One as old as I is not as efficient as I would wish. (Admittedly, thats still pretty young. )
    Spoiler
    Show
    don't feed the troll...

27. - Top - End - #267
    Bugbear in the Playground

Man, watching "Night Terrors" (the Doctor Who episode) just before I went to bed was a very bad idea. Frikkin' dolls, sitting right in the nadir of the uncanny valley.
    Quotes!
    Spoiler
    Show

BY THE HEAVENS! Dimonite! You are even more awesome than I thought!
    Quote Originally Posted by CurlyKitGirl View Post
    *high fives!*
    That was awesome, made me smile.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Witch-King View Post
    THIS aberrant, ancient evil ain't no playa! I'm gonna take care of my little Meduthids and my Spawnling Mama! Besides which--the Old Ones know the Elder Brain keeps pestering me about giving it some Grandspawnlings...
    The Neutralizer - my 3.5 class that attempts to make wizards less OP.
    Fantastic dragonpuppy drawn by my sister in the ancient times.

28. - Top - End - #268

Man, watching "Night Terrors" (the Doctor Who episode) just before I went to bed was a very bad idea. Frikkin' dolls, sitting right in the nadir of the uncanny valley.
    Look on the bright side. You aren't me. I'm terrafied of almost literally everything, and there have been many nights where I go to bed after watching something scary.

Like, say, Night of the Living Doll.

29. - Top - End - #269
    Ettin in the Playground

Look on the bright side. You aren't me. I'm terrafied of almost literally everything, and there have been many nights where I go to bed after watching something scary.

Like, say, Night of the Living Doll.
    Aww...*holds you close, keeps you safe*...

I don't watch a lot of horror movies. Most recent one I've watched was Cabin in the Woods, which is AMAZING, and we'll have to see it sometime, and I can say nothing else that won't be spoilers. =3

...living where I do, I'm a bit uncomfortable with the recent redneck cult horror movie theme. Especially what with our house being in the middle of nowhere and having giant ground floor windows facing the woods behind the house. It's just creepy, going downstairs and thinking that someone could be watching you from there and you'd never know... >.<
    Cobra Avatar by the lovely Miss Nobody.

30. - Top - End - #270
    Titan in the Playground

Be glad you didn't watch that one about the It on the train.

Extended Sig