Page 1 of 18 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Yours For The Taking [D&D 3.5] (OOC)

Now for the lovely task of deciding who the three alternates are. Anyone want to volunteer?

Edit: Everyone who has posted one this page, as of this edit, is in the game not as an alternative. Hopefully I can run this as two parties, if not, we'll deal with that when it comes.
    Last edited by Heart; 2012-10-21 at 11:55 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Yours For The Taking [D&D 3.5] (OOC)

I'd rather not. Adding this thread to my list of OOC subscriptions.

---

Edit: Saying more stuff: I've got no problems being an alternate. I'd just rather be in the group from the start than be one of them.
    Last edited by Linguz; 2012-10-19 at 05:08 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Subscribed, and I don't mind being on the alternate list, I suppose. Eric is pretty easy to side and interject from anywhere.
    Just in case, in any game I've applied to without being selected: DMs are more than welcome to use my submission as an NPC as they wish!

Huge thanks to Howl for puting some Boomstick in my avatar

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Medic!: Well if it came down to me deciding, you wouldn't be one, because I think you were first to submit a sheet. But I'm not gonna stop you from volunteering.

Little info on alternates in this game: You will still be able to play, but usually you won't be adventuring with the party. Usually you won't be adventuring at all, but you can still roleplay. There are times when the alternates' paths' will cross with the others though, and those a situations where you can play outside of just roleplay. One example will be in the beginning. The alternates will be in the jails as well.

5. - Top - End - #5

If nobody else ponies up, I'll volunteer, but I'm happy to wait until everyone's weighed in.

Also DC 15 to teach the jail-dog Fetch! Handle Animal - (1d20+4)[8]

Stupid dog...
    Last edited by Medic!; 2012-10-19 at 01:19 PM.
    Just in case, in any game I've applied to without being selected: DMs are more than welcome to use my submission as an NPC as they wish!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'll volunteer to take it easy for now and be an alternate.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Halfling in the Playground

Zombie

{table]Player|Character|Description
    Group 1
    Medic!|Eric the Red|Half-orc Barbarian
    Machuchang|Abaddon Windrunner|Halfling Warlock
    hoverfrog|Mink Orduno|Human Wizard
    ElfiKay|Isidora Mikhail|Half-Elf Rogue
    Group 2
    Linguz|Thomas 'Bulwark'|Human Soulcrafter
    Pietato|Willem Badger|Halfling Factotum
    Marlowe|Amalaswentha Varrus|Human Cleric
    GnomeGninjas|Vlamad Horkenson|Dwarf Wizard[/table]
    Blue, Red, and Bold are reserved for Heart.

Table copied and pasted for posterity.
    Regarding alternates, I suppose I could go either way rather easily.

This post is now all about info.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Pietato; 2012-10-29 at 03:04 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Signature.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

I'd really like to play, but I am in a couple other games at the moment, so I guess I could be an alternate if that would work out best for everyone.

As an alternate, would I still be allowed to come up with details of the world and make-up NPCs and stuff like that?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Bing! Here I am. I'm easy on the whole "alternate" thing.
    The Southern Comforters

"i may only truly contribute to this game because it is so damned awesom and marlow is the bomb. plus i love the chemistry we all have"

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

Roll to see if the dog's a super genius (needs a 100)

(1d100)[41]

You can still help build the world as an alt. Thanks everyone for volunteering.

Pie: Table, thanks.

Everyone check the recruiting thread, tell me your thoughts.

Edit: Blasted pooch.
    Last edited by Heart; 2012-10-19 at 09:54 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by Heart View Post
    Everyone check the recruiting thread, tell me your thoughts.

Edit: Blasted pooch.
    I'm ok with it if you are!

Also yes, someone obviously trained the dog to tease the prisoners

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Amala uses her manacles (she decided if she was going to be restrained, it would be with something she owned) to swat the dog across the nose.

"In general, I do not approve of cruelty to animals. In specifics, however, this one annoys me."
    The Southern Comforters

"i may only truly contribute to this game because it is so damned awesom and marlow is the bomb. plus i love the chemistry we all have"

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm fine with two games going at once, as long as you don't focus primarily on one and all that.
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14

Zombie

So long as stuff happens, I'm fine with any setup.

Also, I must say I approve with the negativity already jokingly expressed.
    Good.
    Let your hate flow through you.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Signature.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

I of course don't plan to favor one over the other. If we do it this way and I'm giving one side too much love, throw some virtual dice at me to get me on track.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Just checking in. I'm in a few games and running two so I have no objections to being an alternative if required. Though I do look forward to playing Mink.
    Current status: Busy at work, busy at home.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I now cycle 22 miles a day. If I stop posting it probably means that someone ran me off the road. Watch out for cyclists. We're squishy.

Extended signature

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'll try it, but if it becomes too much I'll have to either get another DM or cut it back to one party. We'll start after Essence gets his sheet up and we get a few questions answered.

Fudging dice rolls, yay or nay? Personally I don't like fudging them, but I also don't want to put you up against something you can't beat by mistake.

Fractional saves and BAB? I'm indifferent, now that I know how they work.

Also, does anyone but Essence have any character work left to do? Whether it's crunch or fluff.

Lastly, does anyone have any questions at all for me?

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Fudging: In extreme cases to save us early on, I am fine with it.

Fractional: Sure. I probably won't end up using it since I tend to stick to 1 class.

Next question: I don't believe I do.

Other: For crafting, can I do weekly checks and divide by 7 to get the daily amount. If I don't, I get a tenth of what I could make normally in a week instead of a seventh.
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Fudging: If it makes the story better then sure but only sparingly.

Fractional: What Linguz said

Extra stuff: If anyone wants to tie character histories together then sure, otherwise nope.

Questions: I can't think of anything yet.
    Current status: Busy at work, busy at home.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I now cycle 22 miles a day. If I stop posting it probably means that someone ran me off the road. Watch out for cyclists. We're squishy.

Extended signature

20. - Top - End - #20
    Barbarian in the Playground

Yeah, I agree with everyone else. It all sounds good to me.

Fudging: I don't mind fudging if it's to make the story better, but I also don't mind dying if that's what the dice have in store for me.

Fractional: I don't see any cons to allowing this, so I think we might as well just go for it.

Character work: I think I'm set, though just to warn everyone, Abaddon's backstory may or may not actually be true.

Questions: All I can think of is that, if you do split the party, how do you plan on splitting us?

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

Machuchang: One you all escape and reach (insert place of safety here), I'll nudge you guys OOC to split but I'm not sure exactly how. Maybe it would be good to leave it up to you eight to decide a reason. Just try to balance the parties, 4 and 4, and don't have the wizard and sorceress or barbarian and soulcrafter together.

22. - Top - End - #22

Zombie

Fudge) I'm not usually a fan of fudge for the sake of fudge, but I've played long enough on both sides to have experienced the end result of the DM rolling very well or poorly. Party once took no damage from the BBEG and his posse. Didn't roll above a 10 to hit the whole encounter.

Fractional) If we use them, I might multiclass a bit. If not, oh no, more Factotum levels, I hate having all skills as class skills and some magic. And awesome class features.

Additional Work) None left.

Questions) Nope.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Signature.

23. - Top - End - #23

On fudging: I'd rather not know, either way, and neither one bothers me. It's all about the story, whether it's a story made a hair more epic or a hair more believable despite the dice, or a story of "the dice never lie." Some of my most enjoyable D&D moments were pure dice (both with a character dying and with a half-orc fighter who thinks he's a paladin beseeching heironeous for aid while being grappled by a vampire, down to 1 con, and rolling a natural 20 on his attack roll with a wooden stake =D )

On fractionals, I'm also indifferent. It's great for multi-classers...unless the adventure really dictates different class levels for Eric from an RP standpoint, he'll be taking straight barbarian since Berserker Strength relies on (barbarian levels x5) current hp as a trigger method.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

Fractionals are in, fudging will be left... To your imagination

I believe we have two hopefuls, so when one submits his/her sheet we'll start

Edit: Linguz: I'm very inexperienced when it comes to the intricacies of crafting, so I don't see how that would be much of an issue dividing by 7. Unless someone wants to speak up on their qualms against it (Why would they, it seems to only help the party?) go for it
    Last edited by Heart; 2012-10-21 at 02:38 AM.

25. - Top - End - #25

NinjaGirl

I think I'm one of the "hopefuls," but if I had my druthers, I wouldn't be an alt. This is my first PBP game =) But I can be an alt if necessary.

Also, Sleight of Hand rolls to see if I sneak my dagger and thieves' tools into prison with me.

Spoiler
    Show
    Dagger: (1d20+8)[22]
    Thieves' tools: (1d20+6)[8]

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Heart View Post
    Also, does anyone but Essence have any character work left to do? Whether it's crunch or fluff.

Lastly, does anyone have any questions at all for me?
    Only one that's been bothering me is that we don't know anything about the living conditions within the prison. Are we spending all our time shackled (Mink obviously isn't), are we free to wander around? What is the prison authorities opinions of us?

My own thoughts are that as Amala's an obediant individual with decent social skills who's in on charges not related to violence or predatory criminality, she's probably regarded as pretty harmless and free to move within the place.

She'd probably know Mink (sorry I haven't been studying the other character sheets as much as I should. Myth-weavers can simply take forever to load on my connection), but they probably would not be close friends. Amala would probably be fairly condescending to her, but that's got more to do with Amala's depressed state of mind right now than anything wrong with Mink.

((EDIT: Just managed to get Erik's sheet open, looks like our first priority is to spring him))
    Last edited by Marlowe; 2012-10-21 at 08:08 PM.
    The Southern Comforters

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ElfiKay View Post
    I think I'm one of the "hopefuls," but if I had my druthers, I wouldn't be an alt. This is my first PBP game =) But I can be an alt if necessary.

Also, Sleight of Hand rolls to see if I sneak my dagger and thieves' tools into prison with me.

Spoiler
    Show
    Dagger: (1d20+4)[23]
    Thieves' tools: [roll1]
    Guard's search roll

(1d20+4)[23]

28. - Top - End - #28

NinjaGirl

Isidora, led by the guards into the prison, walks with her head high and spine straight - more fit to be stepping onto a stage than into a cell. Her demeanor changes, however, as the guard searches her and finds her dagger and lock picks. "Well, so much for that fabulously brilliant plan..." she mutters, a somewhat dejected look creeping into her eye.
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

((Actually, that's a good idea))

"Honoured Warden, you must know that that charges against me speak of nothing but my own naiveity. I have not harmed without cause, nor have stolen, nor broken my word. I beseech you as a person of the law to allow me my parole for free passage within these walls, and the tools of self-defense should some take exception to my faith or my accent. I give my own word I shall not draw against one that has not threatened me"

Diplomacy:(1d20+5)[18]
    The Southern Comforters

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

On the prison: The prison is on the eastern side of town, fairly close to the docks. At first it appears to be a small building, barely bigger than a shack, but it sits on a much wider foundation. Upon entering, there are a few chairs, a chandelier, and a desk that the jailer usually sits at. To the right of the desk, there is a door that leads down into the dungeon (a dungeon in a D&D game? Ha!). After descending the steps, two cells will be on the left, and three on the right. Eventually the corridor turns left, revealing five more cells. Each cell but the first two have barred windows, capable of seeing someone's feet if they're right next to it. Each cell has two mattresses and a bucket for doing "unmentionable things" but the first two on the left. The two on the left are barren, reserved for the more dangerous criminals. Inside the criminal stands (or lays) hands and feet shackled and a chain linking them.

All of you are close enough to hear each other, but not all of you can see each other. You don't have shackles (save Erik, he's in one of the barren cells) but you must remain in your cell. Twice daily a guard will come to gather the buckets and leave food (The barren cells don't get the privilege of having a bucket 24/7).

Generally, only one guard and the jailer occupy the prison at the same time. The guards hate the prison job, they're assigned to it weekly, but usually are nice or either disregard you. The jailer, on the other hand, takes pleasure in taunting the prisoners and making their lives a hell, but he's usually up top doing paper work. He is an old soldier, and has a lot of anger. Some prisoners think it may be because he lost his right hand in a war. He appears tough and hard at first, he beats the more criminally inclined prisoners on occasion, but is usually revealed to be a coward because he only raises his hand if they're shackled. Also, the pooch is nice, but too stupid to learn fetch.

Right now, the prison is very crowded. With a maximum capacity of eighteen, sixteen are housed.

ElfiKay: Guard's other search roll: (1d20+4)[6]

Everyone, feel free to link backstories in any way. I will soon be posting information about the world your average commoner would know, and if there's anything else you think your character would know about the world, tell me.

Edit: ElfiKay: I forgot I had to roll twice for both items (I guess I have to roll twice?) you can choose which one didn't get discovered and repost accordingly, we'll forget the first one ever happened
    Last edited by Heart; 2012-10-21 at 11:51 PM.