New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 47 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: [4E] Grandpre Academy, Group 2, Part 3 (IC)

Monique flashes a grin at Ace, "We got it."

She carefully enters the hall and looks around, keeping an eye out for more traps, and attempting to identify the statues if she can.

Spoiler
    Show
    Take my time moving carefully.
    (1d20+4)[18] perception
    (1d20+12)[20] history
    Thanks Gigi Digi for the avatar.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

DM
    Monique slowly move into the room, carefully avoiding the blue rune area, which became invisible again after about 20 seconds.
    As the bard move forward, she doesnt notice any traps, nor any danger. The cracked celling and windows look stable enough. She pause a little in front of every statues and after about a minute, she is done inspecting them and is in front of the double doors bearing the golden sun. The radiant light comes from that metallic sun, which give illumination roughly like a torch would.

Spoiler
    Show
    PM incoming with information on perception and history.

What do you guys do?

Initiative :
    Spoiler
    Show
    Round : (On hold)
    Ashe.......................(24) : <-----Active Player
    Bolerum................... (22):
    Monique.................. (16):
    Ace........................ (10):

Monster Status :
    Spoiler
    Show
    (U8) - Blue Rune........ : Disabling =1/3
    (U9) - Red Rune...........: Disabled

Players Status
    Spoiler
    Show

(W13) Bolerum: 44/53, TEMP HP = 0, Healing surges : 8/12

(L9) Monique : 41/44, TEMP HP = 0 , Healing surges : 6/8

(V13) Ashe : 49/49, TEMP HP = 12, Healing Surges : 4/7

(V10)Ace 42/42, TEMP HP = 0, Healing Surges : 2/6

MAP :
    Spoiler
    Show

Redish Broen are the natural cavern walls.
    Blackness is unexplored area.
    Black shade is explored area, but in darkness.
    Blue and Pink symbols are the pulsating runes (U8 and U9)
    Icon over a Grey circle are Statues.
    Loose rocks on ground are rumbles (Difficult terrain)

3. - Top - End - #93
    Troll in the Playground

"These are Pelorian heroes. I only recognized ize a few from history, but they might be more religious figures than historical ones, if you know what I mean." Having said that, the bard waits for her companions in front of the giant doors.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Titan in the Playground

Ace
    The sorcerer moves in after the young bard. He only looks casually at the statues, but is careful not to touch any of them. I'm thinkin' maybe one person should open the door, while t'rest o' us stand a ways back.
    My Homebrew
    Currently DMing: Heroes on a Sea of Swords - IC - OOC - OOC II - OOC III
    Many thanks to the very talented Kymme for making an Avatar of my incredibly-specific D&D character!

5. - Top - End - #95
    Troll in the Playground

Bolerum

"I'll open them," the paladin volunteers. He then strides up to the doors, glancing at the statues as he passes them -- and paying particular attention to those more warlike in aspect.

Spoiler
    Show
    Religion: (d20+6)[12]

6. - Top - End - #96
    Troll in the Playground

"It doesn't look trapped, but I guess that'd be a good precaution," Monique says, paying more attention to the statues than anything else.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

DM
    Bolerum move up to the door, while the rest of the heroes stadn back for safety. The Kord Paladin put his hands on the door and push them open, revealing a breathtaking prayer area, bathed in some eery light. The room is vast, with an 50 feet high celling decorated with scenes of angelic creatures battling demons. Into the celling, you can see an hole were the light come from. As you eyes adjust themselves, you notice that it is surely the dome you could see outside, and that the light emante from its inner walls.

Stone walls bearing some more scenery sculpted into them can be seen on each side, toped with high windows. Some of these pictures you might have seen in old books and are no doubts in honnour of the sun god Pelor. Some of the windows are cracked, but none are completly broken.

Right under the dome, carved into the stone floor, an huge sun like the one on the double doors is drawn. It seem made of the same metal but doesnt provide any light.

Before the sun symbol on the floor, two rows of benches are defining a middle alley, while on its other side, some stair goes up 10 feets to a white altar inscribed with symbols. On the far wall, which also is bearing more scenes, you spot two doors, but what really take your eyes is the hugh statue, a representation of Pelor as a common human. While most of the sun symbols are different from the ones you are use to see, this statue is nearly identical to the ones your used to see in Pelor temples.

While you've seen extravagant temple before, decorated with luxurious material like gold statues, fine silk and stuff like that, it is the first time you see a temple with little in term of wealth, but with that much intricate details. Most temples use expert craftmens, but it is the first time you see a temple with that level of craftmanship.

Spoiler
    Show
    Ok, here we go, you opened the double door!

MAP :
    Spoiler
    Show

The Altar is in -J8/-J9
    The two single door are at -M5 and- M 12
    The pelor statue isin -M8/-N9
    Th edome is right over the huge sun drawwn into the floor.
    Last edited by Dekkah; 2012-11-15 at 12:08 PM.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Troll in the Playground

Recalling some note about "weird ground" from the map of this temple, Monique cautiously enters the beautiful temple, and makes her way to the Sun Symbol of Pelor on the ground. She inspects it. "I don't mean to sound awfully sentimental, but do any of you know any prayers to Pelor? It only seems appropriate to observe some tradition, here -- considering every other visitor he's gotten in the last hundred years has been nothing more than a tomb robber."

Spoiler
    Show
    Here are my rolls to investigate:
    (1d20)[12] Add 12 if Arcana or Religion is appropriate to inspect the sun symbol / ground. Add 4 if Perception or Dungeoneering. I think I understand that everything here is covered in protection magic, so I would not default to Arcana, if that makes sense.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Troll in the Playground

"Oh, and uh... I might be wrong about this, but it looks like this sun is gonna turn into a staircase when we activate the Rod. The blocks are all cut like pieces of pie... and ... well, I dunno, but that's my best guess why it would look like this -- so don't stand there when we use the Rod -- just in case!" The bard rambles half to herself, and half to her companions, bent down to look closely at the elaborate sun carved into the ground.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Titan in the Playground

Ace
    Bolerum, why don't y'all an' I check the back rooms fer uninvited guests? Just t'be sure; Ashe an' Mo' can git the staircase we're wantin' t'work without us, I'm thinkin'.
    My Homebrew
    Many thanks to the very talented Kymme for making an Avatar of my incredibly-specific D&D character!

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

DM
    Following Ace idea, the heroes split up. Bolerum and Ace move to the left door to check it out while Ashe and Monique inspect the altar.

The elf and human immediatly notice that the top of the altar is cover with the same type of symbols than the rod is, disposed all around an other small sun symbol. if you can trust bolerum previous claim, it must be some other text written in supernal. The two heroes start ot inspect the altar, and they both notice that the middle part of the sun can be removed from the altar. After checking for traps and finding none, Ashe manage to remove the sun disk, which reveal a 4 inch deep and 1 foot wide concave hole. In the middle of the hole, some slot looking like a key hole is discovered. The round hole is about 2 inches wide, whle the slot itself is about an inch wide and 3 inches long. The slot itself loong at least a foot deep.

Bolerum open the first door, revealing a small labotary. This look like a place where the priest would have done rituals and prepared potions. On the west and north walls, there is some shelves. Only a few empty vials and boxes are left. You can see that this room also have been searched and surely depleted of anything good. There doesnt seem to be any other exit to that room.

Moving to the other door the sorcerer and paladin discover a large room half buried under rubbles. It appears that the north-east corner of the room did not resist whatever happened to Magdebourg a long time ago. Looking at the luxurious furniture and carpet, you guess that this was the high-priest room. Once again, the people who looted the place appear to have donne quite a good job here, as you find nothing of interest. They even cut the half buried carpet to shred, probably making sure no secret passage was hidden under it.

Spoiler
    Show
    For all the above, I used your passive perception (you can roll active perception if you whis (tell me in which room or which feature of the main temple room you inspect).

Ashe and monique also have Arcana and Religion available to them if they wish to take some time checking out the altar.

Note that the Hole and slot image is a zoom on the altar (the altar is bigger and there is runes written all around the sun you cannot see on the image.

MAP :
    Spoiler
    Show

The Altar is in -J8/-J9
    The two single door are at -M5 and- M 12
    The pelor statue isin -M8/-N9
    Th edome is right over the huge sun drawwn into the floor.
    Last edited by Dekkah; 2012-11-15 at 09:02 PM.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Troll in the Playground

Bolerum

"Farmers tend to revere Pelor," Bolerum says cautiously, "Are we sure what we're doing won't get us cursed by him?"

Looking warily at the large statue, the paladin places himself before it, seeking to shield his companions from any consquences. He then intones,

"Sun-god, know that what we do here is to take something you are guarding, that ruined your city, sank it from daylight. We're not going to use this thing. We're going to smash it!"

Spoiler
    Show
    As applicable:
    Religion: (d20+6)[19] (statue and altar markings)
    Insight: (d20+8)[26] (statue expression; the mood in the temple)
    Diplomacy: (d20+9)[18] (appeasing the sun god)

13. - Top - End - #103
    Titan in the Playground

Ace
    The sorcerer nods in approval of Bolerum's supplication. Aye, an' mighty glad we are that ye've guarded it so closely, Sun Lord. Else the greenskins'd have it, an' all this realm'd be theirs fer ruinin', he adds, not feeling at all ridiculous for beseeching the air; if Pelor can't hear them here, then Lady Luck never hears Ace's prayers, which he'd have trouble believing.

Spoiler
    Show
    Aid Another on Diplomacy, mostly for flavour, is an auto-success.
    My Homebrew

14. - Top - End - #104
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    arcana (1d20+12)[29]
    religion (1d20+12)[32]

Monique inspects the altar a moment, then a thought occurs to her. "Since we're bein' so careful, I'm just gonna take a second to read these runes, okay? Just in case there's some sort of dire warning, or command word to disable the traps, y'know?"

Spoiler
    Show
    I will cast Comprehend Language ritual.
    arcana check (1d20+12)[32]

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Ashe

That stairway probably leads to the crypt, I would like to visit there and if nothing else, at least pay my respects to El’ya Morlil. I had another vision granted from Sel'than Natura and I'm sure it was of the priests laying El'ya to rest within this temple.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

DM
    Bolerum inspect the god statue and offer an prayer, to which Ace add his own words.

Monique Inspect the altar carefully and decide to take 10 minutes to use her comprehend language ritual, so she can read the text.

Spoiler
    Show
    I gave the result ok skills to Bol and Monique.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Troll in the Playground

Bolerum

After completing his invocation, the paladin looks up to the statue, then slowly looks about the room. At last, he speaks.

"This place was militant. The worshippers here were dedicated to seeking and smiting evil, not just observing the rising and setting of the sun. I would've liked to have shared a drink with them."

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Ashe

What are we standing around for? Let's try to get that floor open.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Troll in the Playground

"Um, sorry Ashe, but you guys might wanna hear this. The altar says, "I am merciful to the repentant, just as the Sun of Mercy shines on me.
    I am merciless to the vile, just as Holy Radiance burns evil.
    I am the healer of the sick, just as the Sun Lord grant good harvest.
    I am the avenger of the injured, just as the Light repel darkness."
    The bard clears her throat, and feeling the party can live up to the prayer. She reads the rod, says, and "May the fallen rest with Pelor." Monique activates the mechanism with the Rod.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

DM
    Monique insert the rod into the altar hole. Nothing happens as she slide it in, but as she reach the bottom, she notice that the notch carved into the rod is exactly at the right level to be slid into the 1 inch wide slot. The bard slide it into the slot, and nothing happen again. Looking around, Monique decide to rotate the rod first counter clock wise and when nothing happen, she rotate it clock-wise, which seem to activate the magical mechanism.

As the heroes guessed, the floor in the middle of the Pelor symbol start to move. the stone slowly start to lower themselves, starting on the left side and going clock-wise forming as stairway leading down bellow. After about a minute, the stairway is in place.

Monique try to rotate the rod counter clockwise and the stone start to move again, returning to their original place. She active the stairway again and once it is open, she try to remove the rod, so no one could close it behind them. Once open, the stairway stay open even if the rod isnt there.

The heroes gather around and after Ashe detect no traps, they move down into the new possible path. They go down in a full circle, going roughly 20 feet deep bellow the temple where they reach the bottom and a small simple room 20 feet by 20. Only one corridor lead out of that room and lead into a larger room. Bolerum lead the way, with AShe not too far to make sure imminentn danger are picked up by the elf keen senses.

The heroes enter next the room and walk forward to inspect it. It is 30 feet wide and 60 feet long. The side wall are decorated like the rest of the temple, with scene of heroes battlinghordes of undeads to the left and Pelor himself with celestial creatures battling demons. As you reach the middle of the room, what strike you is that it is quite a lot warmer than the rest of the temple. Once your torch light reach the end of the room, you noticea set of double door branded with the same Pelor sun symbol as before.

Suddenly, a red runes flicker a second in the air right in front of the door, then split up in half and open up like one would open curtains and a creature step out from thin air into the room.

The creature look like the angels on the wall, but you can see some redish hue into his feather wings, flickering like fire. Hear wear a chainmail armor and weild a longsword and dagger, made of some translucid metal looking like crystal. Within the weapon, you see some red glow, like hot cinders. The creature stand in place and his gaze scan the heroes for a few seconds the say,
    "Stop right there, none of you have clearance to pass these door."

While the creature doesnt attack, he is ready for battle.

Spoiler
    Show
    To save time, I moved things forward assuming you would play with the rod until you find how to activate it, then go into the stairs.

What do you do.

Note that I forgot my USB key, so that is why I dont have the new icons for your characters.... I'll change them monday.

What do you do?

Note : TO identify the creature, it is a religion check.

Map :
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Dekkah; 2012-11-17 at 10:32 AM.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Titan in the Playground

Ace
    The sorcerer steps forward and tips his hat to the angel. Pleased t'meet'cha, honoured servant a' Pelor. Ain't many angels o' valor hangin' round these parts. I'm called The Ace o' Spades, and these here are Bolerum of Kord, Ashe Natura an' Monique D'Etat. The region's beset by goblins an' orcs an' giants an' the like, makin' misere all about an' killin' farmers left an' right. They were tryin' ta break inta the temple, but we routed em'. We was hopin' whatever was bein' kept down here could help us send the damn greenskins back where they came from with their tails 'twixt their legs.

Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy: (1d20+11)[29]
    My Homebrew

22. - Top - End - #112
    Troll in the Playground

"I don't know if any of this order still live, but I've read your prayers, and Bolerum here knows all about burning evil with holy Radiance. What I'm saying is, we can help preserve your ideals now that Magdebourg is gone," The bard steps up with her ally to convince the angel of their sincerity.

Spoiler
    Show
    aid another with diplomacy
    (1d20+11)[26]
    use words of friendship if poss for +5 more

23. - Top - End - #113
    Troll in the Playground

Bolerum

The paladin looks the guardian up and down. His hand is near Greenbane's hilt, however the blade remains sheathed for now.

Spoiler
    Show
    Religion: (d20+6)[23] to identify the being.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

DM
    The Angel listen careful and after a few second, he visibly relax a little. While he still is ready for battle, his attitude isnt as agressive and his tone softer when he reply.
    "You can call me Xelmoyr. I'm sadden to hear about the trouble you are suffering mortals and I hope Pelor light will shine your way in this conflict."
    You all can see some real compassion in the creature angelic face and tone,
    "I wish that you manage to repel those vile creatures before their do too much damage to your lands. But saddly, I'm bound to my words here and cannot let you pass this door."
    The angel look at Bolerum and say respectfully,
    "I know Kord valor and strengh, but this is a Pelor temple and you have no autority here, and I doubt any of you have either since I cannot feel nor see the Sun lord presence upon you."
    To Monique benefit, the angel add,
    "I'll add that Pelor's ideals are universal Monique D'Etat. This Pelor temple might be located in Magdebourg, but my lord grasp goes beyong simple location. And this temple members might all have fallen, but my god is still strong and broadly revered."
    Looking back toward Ace, the angel say,
    "Fear not The Ace of Spades, as I wont let you proceed further, goblin wont either. I highly doubt an invading army, more so one composed of goblins, would have the support of a Pelorian priest to grant them access to the vault and crypts."

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Ashe

I come to pay my respects to one entombed within, would you begrudge me that?

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

DM
    The creature shake his head as he answer the elf,
    "This is a noble reason, but you will have to do it from here or up there in the temple. I am sorry, my orders are clear here, you do not qualify to gain access beyong these doors."
    The creature broaden his shoulder to emphasis his determination, but keep his weapon lowered.
    Last edited by Dekkah; 2012-11-19 at 01:38 PM.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Titan in the Playground

Ace
    The sorcerer nods. I think I un'nerstand, noble Xelmoyr. Perhaps we'll meet again un'ner more... ideal circumstances. Assuming his friends have naught more to add, Ace tips his hat and makes to leave.
    My Homebrew

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

DM
    As Ace heads out, the angel nod farewell to him,
    "May Pelor light shine upon your path mortal."

Spoiler
    Show
    You still can interact with him, as he stay there even as you leave.

Or you can act/talk among yourself in the main room.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Troll in the Playground

Bolerum

"The goblins have been capturing farmers in the area and enslaving them. Perhaps ... perhaps we can find one able to sway the angel."

30. - Top - End - #120
    Troll in the Playground

"Do you have the Chest of Never back there? Who gave you the order to protect this place? What would I need to do to gain access? Convert? I could do that. Do you know what happened to Magdebourg to destroy it? Can you summon other angels - the enemies will overwhelm you if you are alone."

Monique asks the questions slowly, waiting for a response for each before asking the next. She's always been a polytheist, and offers Pelor the same reverence she offers any god. Still, she's never been particular in her prayers.